Jean's daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JeanDC

Jean's daily check in

Post by JeanDC » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:53 am

Yesterday, Day 1 was a success. Yippee for me! Felt very flat in the evening, basically just curled up on the sofa, very much wanting sugary stuff. Evenings are my worst time.

The drinking milk idea is brilliant. I had a milky coffee about 4 pm and took a glass of soya milk to bed. Couldn't have coped without the milk. But I didn't feel that I was breaking anything because I wasn't actually eating.

JeanDC

Post by JeanDC » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:26 am

Day 2 was a success, but hard, very hard. Evening time again, wanted sugar, sugar sugar. Feel I've really accomplished something though. Meals bigger than usual, plus two milky coffees.

JeanDC

Post by JeanDC » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:00 pm

Day 3 another success. Hard, very hard, but I did it.

JeanDC

Post by JeanDC » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:50 am

Day 4, a day when I've often caved in in the past, and all is well. Went out for a meal with friends. Chose a 'not very nice' meal, had only one plate.
Jean

JeanDC

Post by JeanDC » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:51 am

Here I am back again. I'm on day 5, so have a little bit of 'The Hard Part' already over.

Last time I tried it was a S day that floored me. I ended up hoovering sugar down my throat like mad, felt depressed about that, said 'This won't work' blah blah blah. Gave up.

This time I've had migraine two days on the run (breaking my glasses and straining my eyes may have helped!) I feel physically lousy and grumpy. My poor little body is missing all the sugar it normally got.

BUT I DID IT FOR 4 DAYS. Yippee for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JeanDC

Post by JeanDC » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:45 pm

I'm struggling through day 6, feeling really ill. I'm wondering if it's normal to feel this bad, so will ask on the general board.

I have absolutely no energy, am bad tempered too.

JeanDC

Post by JeanDC » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:08 pm

Day 9 and I'm still making it! I felt physically better from day 7 onwards. Had a rough day at work today, feel fed up and tired tonight. Could just eat a very large bar of choccy, but would feel disappointed with myself after so most probably wont.

JeanDC

Post by JeanDC » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:46 pm

I've now made day 12, 9 good N days and 3 S days when I just had one extra snack, so I consider those to be successes too.

I think I may be having less cravings at last. I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Jean

JeanDC

Post by JeanDC » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:56 pm

Today I counted as an S day as I went out with friends for a birthday meal. I had cheeses, a few slices of apple and a few grapes as 'dessert', so that was my one extra I allow myself on an S day.

Still feeling good physically, practically no cravings. I can do this thing!

Jean

JeanDC

Post by JeanDC » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:11 pm

I fell last sunday and have been in hospital having a plate and wires inserted into my right wrist. I kept to my No S plan fine, amazed myself actually. I now have enough chocolate and dessert 'get well' gifts to feed an army. I do NOT have to eat them. I'm not craving them and if I eat any of them it will be a deliberate choice.

friscobob

Way To Go!

Post by friscobob » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:15 pm

You're keeping up the good fight in spite of adversity! Great! You have the will power to succeed! Keep it up! Best regards, Bob
Health Is The Greatest Wealth!

JeanDC

Post by JeanDC » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:04 am

The weekend went well again. I allowed myself supper as my one N Day treat. There are still chocs around from my hospital visit. DH has eaten a few. They may get the prize for the longest lasting box of choccies in my house.

Not craving at all now. Sticking to just 2 pieces of fruit a day, I know from past experience that any more can trigger cravings in me.

JeanDC

Post by JeanDC » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:46 pm

Another successful day. Think I can see the beginnings of a halo sprouting.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:28 pm

Congrats on your successes and I think I can see wings sprouting too!
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

JeanDC

Post by JeanDC » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:32 am

Well, its a long time since I checked in, 10 months to be precise. I want to start again, clean start and all that.
I've not been successful doing NoS since I injured my arm. All the choccies, forced inactivity etc. have had a devastating effect on my waistline (and other parts!). The results of my injury have been more far reaching than I ever imagined. I had another operation on my arm in May, with the possibility of another to come. I can use my right hand in a somewhat limited way. I can't use my exercise tapes with hand weights properly, but could always adapt them!
Oh, by the way, my dog Gennydishcloth (GennyDC) is doing great on NoS. The 'Nasty Lady In The White Coat Who Sticks Needles In Poor Doggies Necks' said her tummy was too big for her little legs. DH told her that was because she takes after me, not him! Maybe she'd better have a daily check in thread too!
The only time I was successful at NoS was when I was checking in and posting. So, speak to you soon!
JeanDC

JeanDC

Post by JeanDC » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:21 pm

Well I'm still sort of lurking here, never got into the NoS habit after injuring my arm. My brain keeps being drawn back to the NOS way of eating, but I just keep on failing.
I get really bad cravings for sugar and feel quite ill after a couple of sugar-free days. I know in theory that I will feel OK after a week or two, but can't get that long under my quite expansive belt. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. I will definitely have another attempt tomorrow.
JeanDC

JeanDC

Day 1 under my belt

Post by JeanDC » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:15 am

Well I managed Day 1 (Saturday) without too much trouble. I had two meals of what I fancied, including much cheese and some chips. My plan for the month of September is to get the 3 meal habit down, eating what I fancy for the 3 meals, as long as they are 1 plate (except Sdays).
When I manage to get the 3 meal habit I'll review the details of what I eat and drink.
I'm feeling quite positive at present, I hope it lasts.
JeanDC

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi Jean,

Just popping in to say "hi". I'm sorry you've had a difficult time starting & stopping with NoS. I'm back after doing that for months too. Here's my thinking....I have over 40 years of bad eating habits racked up. You might not have nearly as much, but even if you've had a tough time for a few years, acquiring this new habit is just not going to take a short amount of time to do. Every time I pick myself up, brush off the crumbs and start again, I'm developing those new habits. It might be taking me a LONG time to be consistent, but I'm going to do this. You can do this....you really can...one successful day at a time.

I have to run....but hang in there!!!

janie
Last edited by howfunisthat on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

JeanDC

Post by JeanDC » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:19 am

Thanks for the words of encouragement Janie. I managed day 2 as well. I'm going away for a couple of days, but my intention is to carry on with the 3 meals. Jean