Lori's 21 days (and beyond)

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LoriLifts

Lori's 21 days (and beyond)

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:07 am

The good news is that in Janauary I tried the S diet. And I like it. This is a way I could eat for a lifetime, not just to lose weight.

The bad news is that old habits die hard. I had some emotionally topsy turvey days that derailed my good intentions. S days became "Stress" days. I had a good long string of them.

I'm calling a DO OVER!

February 9 begins my 21 day challenge. Time to dust myself off and begin again.
Last edited by LoriLifts on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:10 pm

I was reading Reinhard's transcript about developing a habit a month.

February will be focused on my 21 day challenge.

I really like the idea of a habit a month. I'm going to continue this through 2008.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:59 am

Hmmm....even though I am eager to begin my 21 day no S challenge, part of me is still attracted to the extreme stuff. Like a 7 day juice fast. I caught myself thumbing through "The Rice Diet" today. Why would I want to measure out portions of rice and fruit and vegetables everytime I want to eat? Or not chew for a week?

The logical part of my brain tells me that I don't stay on these types of programs and that the weight I lose always comes back. The crazy part of my brain likes the rigid rules and regulations.

Luckily for me, the logical brain overrules the crazy side. I am commited to joining the 21 day club in February, no matter what. After that, I want to join the "My Pants Fell Down" club.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:56 am

I'm embracing change dammit!

Actually I don't have much of a choice. I found out last month that the division I work for will be eliminated in February. In a couple of weeks I'll be unemployed.

The last time I was downsized I retreated to my couch. Eating lots of ice cream. And gaining 30 pounds.

Three years later I'm in the same situation but determined to have a different outcome. I can't gain 30 more pounds. And with the writer's strike, it's not too much fun sitting on the couch, watching tv all day.

Tomorrow I'm beginning my 21 day S challenge. In an effort to stay off the couch, I'm also adding daily exercise to my challenge.

I have a good incentive to stick to my challenge, I need to fit into my interview clothes!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:11 pm

SUCCESS for the first 2 days of my 21 day challenge. :)

Although the first 2 days are S, I didn't go too crazy with my eating. I also completed my daily exercise. Yesterday I ran for 40 min, today I ran/walked 6 miles.

Monday and Tuesday will be a bit tougher to stay on schedule. I'm working overnight with my boss. I'm determined to stick to the no S rules. I'll still be able to fit in exercise, it will mean getting up early to get it done.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:07 am

SUCCESS for 2 more days!

Two particularly tough days. I was working out of town with my boss. He likes to stop for frequent sugary snacks. He would buy chocolate milk and a can of Pringles. I bought a bottle of water.

GOOD FOR ME!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:50 am

Another day of SUCCESS!! :lol:

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:37 pm

HOLY CRAP, ANOTHER DAY OF SUCCESS!!!

The experienced Sers say the program gets easier as more time goes by. I agree with them. For me, the first 48 hours were the toughest. When 3pm rolled around, I wanted to say "Hmmmm...maybe I should eat that bagel and start this thing tomorrow."

Now that I'm getting a string of successful days, I don't want to break them. Heck, today 3pm arrived and I didn't even think about bagels.

It's a No S miracle!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:33 am

SUCCESS

I finished my first week of my 21 day challenge. I'm tickled pink!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:07 pm

Week 1 recap and things I need to remember going forward..

My trigger times for snacking are 4pm and 7pm. If I drink a cup of tea or glass of water, the cravings pass in about 20 minutes.

Although I'm a morning person, exercising in the afternoon keeps me on track. This week I went for a walk or to the gym around 3pm, even when I didn't want to. Exercising in the afternoon helps to break my snack habit.

Stick to the simple 14 word rules! Don't add more structure, it will make me rebell.

On to week 2...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:12 pm

A SUCCESSful Sunday. I consider an S day successful when I don't overthink it. No extra rules and regulations.

The upcoming work week will be stressful. This is the last week before my job is eliminated. Although I've come to terms with being temporarily unemployed, I know there will be alot of emotions this week. I need to remember that it's better to be fit and unemployed rather than fat and unemployed.

In 2005 I was downsized from the company I worked for for 15 years. I didn't see it coming and was devastated. At the time I was running several marathons a year and was in terrific shape. When I lost my job I retreated to the couch for about 8 months. I began a daily ice cream and cookie habit. I gained 30 pounds and lived in sweat pants and my husband's tee shirts.

2008 will not be a sequal to The Year Of The Couch. I'm sticking with my no S plan as well as my exercise schedule. I have alternative activities planned instead of watching tv.

Couch? I don't need no stinkin' couch! :)

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:17 am

SUCCESS for Monday and Tuesday.
Failure for Wednesday and Thursday.

That #$%^ stress eating!

Oh well, tomorrow is another day..............

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:44 am

The bad news, Friday was a failure.

The good news...I'm re-commiting to my 21 day challenge. Now that I'm officially unemployed, getting in shape will be my job. Something good has to come from being laid off, fitting back into my pants will be a good goal.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:39 am

Here I am, checking in on Sunday night. The good news about this weekend was that I did my daily exercise. On Saturday my husband and I went for a nice hilly hike. Today we completed our 9 mile training run. Only 14 weeks until the San Diego marathon!

My inclination is to set a goal of X amount of pounds before the marathon. I'm not going to do it. I know from past experinece that when I set a goal weight, I self destruct. Instead, I'll be happy to see a decrease every week. I know I'll be heading in the right direction.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:39 am

I've had a string of SUCCESSful days. I'm using my HabitCal to track them, instead of embarking on a structured 21 day challenge. I may be ready to do so in March. For now I'm happy to report my successes here and on my calendar.

I'm pleased with my progress in February. Although I faltered (failed) for a couple of days, most days were successes. I'm feeling confident in this program, avoiding seconds and snacks is becoming much easier. I need to focus on the remaining S....sweets in March.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:15 am

Lori, it sounds like you are doing really well on No-S. I wish you well in the SD Marathon! :D

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:09 pm

DO OVER!!!!!

The good news is that I'm sticking to No S. I've been off and on for about 2 months. The old me would have bought a new "diet" book and started some new kind of crazy program.

I am commited to this way of eating, no matter how long it takes to stick!

So here we go again....

friscobob

Success Will Be Ours!

Post by friscobob » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:22 pm

Step by step, day by day, and the job will be done! The best is yet to come! On this forum we can stand united, invincible in our quests to meet our goals. This No S Diet, and this forum is the real deal!
Health Is The Greatest Wealth!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:47 am

Thanks for the encouraging words FriscoBob! You're right, No S is the real deal!

I enjoy reading everyone's blogs and comments. I'm making a promise to become a more active participant on this site. We're all in this together, everyone needs a pat on the back once in awhile.

Onward to Monday......

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:47 am

SUCCESS for Monday and Tuesday.

Having the No S book has been a terrific tool to keep me on track. I like the analogy of habits being like a wild animal that has to be tamed and trained. I also like the idea of habits being "powerful but dumb". I thought of that today, around 3pm. I resisted the urge to grab a snack. I thought about the powerful dumb habit I'm attempting to train. If I don't stick to the plan my new habit will never be reinforced. I can't have a wild habit causing chaos and mayhem.

My sweets/seconds/snack habit will behave itself!

friscobob

You Can Do It.....

Post by friscobob » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:59 am

.....you are doing it! Keep it up, step by step, one day at a time. All the best, Bob
Health Is The Greatest Wealth!

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:11 pm

Congratulations Lori - you are doing great.

I am loving re-reading all of Reinhard's wisdom in the book, for me it seems to be sinking in even more than it did from the internet.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:51 pm

There's a passage in the book about failure. Someone, I think it was a dietician says that it takes 10-12 attempts at losing weight before it sticks.

I think I'm on number 8. OK, here I go again...

Reinhard mentioned using a chain as a visualization technique. Every successful day adds another link. I like that. I may start a group thread where we can make our chains together.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:39 am

I really like using the HabitCal. It shows at a glance how compliant I've been. And no surprise, the weeks that have the most green are the same ones that register weight loss.

I've been taking baby steps and for me, it seems to be working. I haven't made any concrete weight goals or timelines. As long as I'm making progress, I'm happy.

Here's to another week with more successes than failures......

swimfit

Post by swimfit » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:33 pm

I really like how you said "here's to another week of more successes than failures." That is such a good way to look at it. I tend to be so all or nothing, ----------either it's all green or I failed. I'm going to start looking at my weeks as you said -------- hoping for more successes than failures. This is much more sane!! :-)