Bob Is Trying One More Time!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

friscobob

Bob Is Trying One More Time!

Post by friscobob » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:23 pm

A while back I had great success with the No S Diet, but then I took a long vacation in Italy, and got off the wagon completely. When I returned from vacation, I continued to regain the weight I lost. So, here we go again, and I am confident that this time will be a permanent success. I will supplement my diet with exercise, situps, deep knee bends, and pushups, and try to walk as much as possible. Hope springs eternal, and I am full of hope, as I believe I can make the No S Diet a permanent habit this time around.
Last edited by friscobob on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:28 pm

I, too, followed the same path as you - only my vacation wasn't quite as exotic! We only traveled to the west coast. But still, I fell off the wagon, regained all my weight and then some, and tried to regain control at least three different times. I believe Reinhard says that some successful NoEssers begin anew at least a dozen times before finding success. Let's hope this is the time for both of us!!
Mimi
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

friscobob

Let's Encourage One Another!

Post by friscobob » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:39 pm

Well, we have begun anew. Let's move foreward with confidence with the thought that the best is yet to come! We can do it, just stay on the program and win the battle day by day. Step by step and the job is done! Best regards for your success. Bob

friscobob

First Day Success

Post by friscobob » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:29 pm

SUCCESS. I have a dog and he is insisting on daily walks , so this will help me a lot. The walking along with my program of doing pushups, situps, and deep knee bends should contribute to my weight loss goals.
Health Is The Greatest Wealth!

friscobob

Day Two

Post by friscobob » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:41 pm

SUCCESS WITH DIET, SUCCESS WITH EXERCISE.

It was a little tough yesterday, but I looked at an old picture of how I used to look, and in the mirror how I look now. That did it, and led to another successful day.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:20 pm

Hi again Bob!
Good to see you back. I am not here as much as in my first few years, but I remember you!

Darn "Wagon" builders!!!
They always make them much easier to fall off than get back on~
Good luck holding your ground and keep that pic up for inspiration :))

Peace and Love
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

friscobob

Hi, Deb!

Post by friscobob » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:14 pm

I remember you, too, as being very encouraging to everyone to stay with the diet. I really appreciate that. How is your music career going? I write song lyrics but just for a hobby. I think I can do this diet for good now, as I have the proper mindset and am very motivated. As they say, one picture is worth a thousand words, and if I ever think of falling off the wagon again, I'll just look at that picture! :D Best regards, Bob

friscobob

Day Three

Post by friscobob » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:47 pm

SUCCESS.

It's getting easier to follow the diet. I think I have the proper mindset to fully succeed this time around.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi Bob,

I'm also beginning again. The good news is that we didn't resort to some crazy cabbage/lemon juice/detox diet to lose weight fast. We know this works and we're sticking to it!

Lori
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

friscobob

Yes We Can!

Post by friscobob » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:16 pm

Lori, we shall succeed this time! It's all about mindset, and I am not going to waiver this time around! We can continue to offer support to one another on this great forum to keep ourselves on the right path.

Day four was an S day, but I maintained my diet and exercised more than I have in a long time, so day four SUCCESS.

friscobob

Day Four

Post by friscobob » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:48 pm

SUCCESS in both diet and exercise. It was a beautiful day so I walked 4 miles. So on two S days now I have maintained the diet, and my determination to stay on it is growing.

friscobob

Day Five

Post by friscobob » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:26 pm

SUCCESS with diet and exercise. I only did some pushups, situps, and deep knee bends.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:24 pm

Hi Bob
Congrats on getting back into the swing of things. You are an encouragement to me to get back onto the exercise wagon.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

friscobob

Day Six

Post by friscobob » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:18 pm

SUCCESS with diet and exercise. It was a struggle getting in the exercise, but I did them in increments throughout the day, the "grease the groove" concept, that is pushups, situps, and deep knee bends. It was a nice evening, so I got in a 2 1/2 mile walk.

MerryKat, stay with it, step by step, day by day, and the job is done. We are united, we are invincible on this forum, and the best is yet to come for us! All the best, Bob

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:34 am

I love the term 'Grease the Groove'.

Thanks for the positive reinforcements.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

friscobob

Long Time Not Posting!

Post by friscobob » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:52 pm

A lot of things have been happening, I have been very busy, but I wanted all to know of my great progress with the No S Diet program. I went on a big yoyo spin of losing weight and gaining it back, then I said enough is enough. I started to seriously follow the No S Diet and started walking every day, gradually building up to 3 miles daily. My weight has gone down from a high of 211 pounds to my present weight of 183, as of this morning. I haven't felt this good in a long, long time!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:25 am

Wow friscobob - that is fantastic - and the kind of news that I love to hear! I too fell off the NoS wagon, faltered around with some other weight loss programs, and finally found my way back to NoS on April 30. This time it feels so different - not that there haven't been some failures so far, but I think I finally KNOW that this is the lifestyle that I want to live from now on. I weigh once a month at the beginning of the month, so I'm looking for additional loss in August. So far, I'm down 5.5 pounds.
Anyway, great to hear from you and keep up the great work!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

friscobob

Thanks, Mimi!

Post by friscobob » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:56 am

It took a while but finally it sunk into this head of mine what I really had to do to lose weight. I guess we all stumble once or twice before we find our way. It's good to hear of the progress you are making, stick with it, day by day, one step at a time, and success will be yours. Sometimes we have to fail, before we get the proper mindset to succeed. Nightly, I write down my goals for the following day, and review it first thing in the morning, this seems to work for me. You might want to give it a try. Best regards, Bob

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:47 pm

Just saw this thread and read through the posts.

Congrats Bob, your success is amazing.

I so agree that one has to be in the success mindset before success kicks in.
Just keep at it, I always say You can't do right and go wrong.

To your health,

Berry :oops:

And thumbs up to my dear mimi as well....

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:00 pm

Wow, good going! :D
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:41 am

FriscoBob rocks!
:D
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

friscobob

It's Been A While Now.....

Post by friscobob » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:01 am

.....unfortunately I fell off the wagon and ballooned up in weight one more time, due to extensive travel and other factors, blah, blah, excuses, excuses! Fortunately, we all get another chance with each passing day, so I'm beginning again today. I know it might not be the best time, holiday season and all, good eats all around, but I'm going to do it, and hopefully this time I shall stick with the program for life. All other programs didn't do it for me, I only had success with the No S program. So today, I have adhered with the program, one day of success!

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:38 am

Welcome back! You should copy your post and put it somewhere when you are tempted to leave NO-S again--remind yourself where you have found success!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi friscobob, Welcome back. Most of us have fallen off that wagon at one time or another. I read one of your old posts about grease the groove. Are you by chance a disciple of Pavel Tsatsouline, since he uses that phrase often? Enjoy your Christmas and Holiday season. Trace.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days