Blueskighs Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:18 pm

My kitty had a seizure/stroke Tuesday morning. It was really bad. When we went to the vet they immediately started discussing putting her to sleep.

I wanted to give her some time. We did blood work yesteday and looks like she is super hypothyroid .. serious and HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, we got her drinking drops of liquid in wee hours of the morining, back to vet this morning and now she is on hypothyroid meds and subcateanous liquds. She is doing a bit better and trying so hard to walk. We are going to keep this going for a few days or week or two to see if she recovers her ability to walk.

Needless to say SAD at our house. She is such a sweety.

Monday DAY 99

SUCCESS

B: WHOLE GRAIN MIX(teff, quinoa, barley, buckwheat and steel cut oats) with yogurt, fruit and flax seeds ... this will be my new breakfast :D
L: I liked it so much had it again for lunch
D: steamed veggies

Tuesday DAY 100

SUCCESS

B: WHOLE GRAIN MIX plus
L: steamed veggie plate with bing cherries
D: homemade dal

hard to see my kitty in such bad shape, of course? food is not an issue.

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:20 pm

Catholic Cajun,

I love oxycise, I am not sure that it helps me with weight loss, but it makes me feel good and I beleive that Stetching is important. I just love it! WHen I don't do it for a few weeks I notice I start getting tight and am more prones to "mysterious" aches and pains :D

Blueskighs

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:23 pm

Tink ,

it is good to hear from you.

Resting, KCCC

it is strange when your palatte takes a right turn :D
on my first up coming three day weekend I am going to experiment with just sweets for breakfast, the second round at night has just gotten too much.
I will see how "satisfied" I feel, if this doesn't work will need to refigure

Organic Gal,

some day you will come visit :wink: my husband has forced me to eat food that isn't just good for you but tastes good too! GOTTA LOVE HIM FOR THAT,

you are doing so good!!!!!!!!!

We all are,

Blueskighs

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:52 pm

OMG blue, I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. I know what you are going through. Last June I had to have my 14yr old dog euthanized because the vet thinks he threw a blood clot into his lungs....and there was nothing we could do. It was the hardest decision but the only right one under the circumstances. I hope your kitty gets better.
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:49 pm

Blue,

Kitty will tell you when it is time for her to say goodbye. I hope she still has some time left. If she's moving, eating and drinking, there's more time.

Hugs, f

(Been there with innumerable doggies)
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:10 pm

Blue, so sorry about your kitty. "When to let go" is one of the hardest decisions ever to me... I want to give them every moment of good life, and spare them every moment of needless pain, and unfortunately the balance isn't always clear. My heart goes out to you.

Best wishes.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:42 am

Thank you OrganicGal, fkwan and KCCC for your kind thoughts.

Unfortunatley she is not walking, or able to eat, or drink. We are giving subcutaneous liquids and medication with hopes that she will "come around" ... oh well. She is better today. But she has quite a ways to go. I think I want to make sure if we have to put her to sleep that we gave her every chance to recover.

It will be day by day for next few weeks.

I am sad and exhausted. I am a bit hopeful. We'll see.

Of course it makes food the least important thing, funny how that is huh?
Oh well,

DAY 101

SUCCESS

B: Whole grain mix plus
L: Z pizza arugula salad and baked tofu
D: bowl of bing cherries

my husband stayed home today, it was so helpful to have him around. he is such a calming influence on both of us :D me and my kitty,

Blueskighs

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:46 am

Hi Blue.

I'm terribly sorry about your cat. I hate it when our little loved ones are ill. They can't talk and its so frustrating.

I will be keeping good thoughts for you, okay?

Dru

Tink

Post by Tink » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:08 am

Blue, i am so sorry about your cat *hugs* My heart goes out to you, i have been there and know how hard it is because these little ones are family. I will say a prayer for your family.
A creature of habit; the No S habit!!!!

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:21 am

Blue,

Thinking of you and your kitty. What's her name? Hope you can have a good day with her today...
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi Blue,

I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. I have 2 of my own and they are the lights of my life. I can only imagine what you and your husband are going through. I am sending you good thoughts.

Moxie

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:23 pm

oh, Blue, I am so sorry about your sweet little kitty, those little fur babies really pull at the heartstrings don't they? Will keep you in prayer. God Bless. What is kitty's name?
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:11 am

Tink, JillyBean, Moxie and CatholicCajun,

oh my gosh, it was so nice to check in tonight and get all of your kind thoughts and loving support. I sat most of day with kitty - Lola Grace - in my lap. She drank water by herself and is starting to walk. She had a rough early morning about 6 am, but seems to be slowly improving. Vet said that it could take one to two weeks for her to regain mobility, if she does. She seems well on her way.

She has not started eating yet, but animals do fast when they are sick. I am hoping, but whatever happens we had a day full of tender moments today and I am thankful for that.

it is so helpful to hear from people who understand that yes, our little creatures are family Tink and boy they do pull on those heartstrings CatholicCajun. Moxie, Lola is the little "light bulb" in our home too and it has been totally touching to see how my husband has responded to her ordeal.

Thank you so much everyone.

Day 102
SUCCESS
B: WHole grains plus (out of fruit so did almonds this morning - did not like as much as with fruit)
L: steamed veggies and bing cherries ... picture at my blog ... www.nosdiet.blogspot.com
D: homemad dal

interesting how food is just squarely in it's place,

everyone have a HAPPY AND SAFE FOURTH OF JULY

Blueskighs

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:26 pm

Blue,

Glad kitty is improving. ((hug)).

The resilience of organisms never ceases to astound me.

love f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:50 pm

Blue....glad to hear Lola Grace (what a lovely name BTW) is doing a bit better. I hope her upward trend continues. :)

I love having pets in my life, they bring so much joy and unconditional love. Not once with all the pets I have had, have I ever heard any of them say I'm looking fat or anything negative to me! :wink:

My current furry child..Mr. Mo is a great kitty and loves everyone. He plays tag/chase with my b-friend, he comes when called and occasionally plays fetch! And he is always purring. :D

Keep us posted on Lola's progress.
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:36 am

Hey Blue,

Good news about Lola Grace. What a sweet name. Hope you had a sparkly 4th.

Resting

Tink

Post by Tink » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:31 pm

Hi Blue
I'm so glad to hear this! I was thinking about your kitty this morning & was going to ask if she was doing better! I pray she continues to improve *hug*
Hope you were able to enjoy your 4th!!!

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:48 pm

So very glad to hear your kitty is better. :)

And I'm impressed that you faced this stress without binging - a real test, I'd say. Emotional times can be very hard...

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:32 am

You people are too great! :D

fkwan, OrganicGal, resting, Tink and KCCC,

your prayers and good thoughts must be helping! My petsitter said that Lola was "small but mighty" she proved that yesterday by crawling up the stairs in our home totally unassisted. I had left her downstairs in the morning after giving her liquids and meds and then went upstairs to get dressed and my husband was like, did you bring Lola upstairs? and I was like no, he said" she just walked by the door!" she is tiny kitty, stairs are pretty high and long, she has started grooming, purring and going to litter box unassisted. She tried to crawl up her kitty climber and get her dry food and fell over, she was up before I realized what she was doing,

so the only thing she has left to do is eat and drink. This is fifth day and she is weak but she is acting more interested in food, yesterday and today I have been feeding her with syringe which she does not like. She has been a sweety and inspiration. if all is down around me that cat can get me to smile.

My oxycise and project habitcals are ALL RED :D for July but I think this is how it goes. I like the idea of habit cal as green light, yellow light, stop light. Green light everything is going and flowing, yellow light things are slowed down, and red light things are stopped.

I am "giving myself off"/reds on those two habitcals until Monday, although I did manage green on project yesteday.

I have been so moved by this little journey with my cat. Watching her "come back" has renewed me spiritually. She is not there yet but it seems in next day or so she will eat and drink. Then all will be well.

Thank you so much for all your loving and kind thoughts, Lola must be receiving strength from them all!

Day 103 - NWS day

SUCCESS

B: donuts/chai tea latte
L: CHargrilled veggie salad with tofu at www.sipz.com
D: tofu sausage and steamed peas with EVOO

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:13 pm

Wow blue, Lola is 'small but mighty'! Glad to hear of the steady progress she's making. :) Will be sending her healing vibes so that she starts eating and drinking on her own.

You are smart to put a few things on the 'red' back burner for now while your thoughts and energy are focused on Lola. Life is about adjusting and being flexible, another great thing about No S, is that it too is flexible and adjustable.

Have a great Sunday. :D

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:51 pm

Oh Blue, I'm so happy to hear Lola is feeling better. Please keep us posted on her progress.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:02 pm

OrganicGal, Moxie, and all others,

Lola ate on her own last night. I am so thrilled. She ate her dry food which is her favorite. This morning she got up and went to litter box totally by herself and then ate and went back to sleep. This is first moring she has "fought" me on subQ liquids, I went on and gave them to her but will not give them tomorrow.

She also ate her "wet food" and went upstairs again. She has been a little bit more "wobbly" and "disoriented" later this morning, don't know if perhaps she had another small stroke or because I gave her meds later today.

She is eating and jumping off sofa and landing on feet. It is truly amazing to watch a recovery like this. I will call vet tomorrow and see where we go from here. But seems like barring another serious stroke/seizure our dear little Lola is going to be hanging around giving us love and smiles a little while longer.

Sorry to go on and on about this, it is just amazing to such a recovery. It has been really inspiring and moving for me.

I am being realistic though. She may be here for years, months, weeks or days. It doesn't matter so much as that she simply has chance to be here as long as she wants.

It is a much happier Sunday in our household.
Thank you so much for your loving thoughts and prayers, obviously they have been a huge help!

Day 104 (Saturday)

SUCCESS
B: donuts and chai tea latte, few cherries at farmers market, they are PERFECT this week ... 2nd time this season FIRM, SWEET, DEEP DARK RED
snack: yogurt, honey and sunflowers ... this was one where i came across the recipe and thougth OH MY GOSH this sounds delicious must have it RIGHT NOW :D not so much ... glad i kept it to a small portion
L: garden salad w/out croutons ... is it just me? i have always disliked croutons on my salad, Big Wave Vegetarian Burger at Island Burger
Sweet: mini peanut butter cups ... not frozen pretty good :D
Dinner? :D : Homemade Blueberry Pie ... will have picture on Blog at ... www.nosdiet.blogspot.com

We have never made pie, but tried blueberry yesterday OH MY GOSH it was to die for, what is so great cause we made it at home NOT TOO SWEET .. I may never be able to eat another "store bought" again, we worked on it together me and my husband. It is amazing, when we cook together things usually really come out well.

managed a yellow on my project Habitcal yesterday which means I did some but not minimum, it is ok, as I said my expectations through this monday are NONE for myself, got another red on oxycise which is really interesting. I think it shows my deep tendency that when I am stressed and panicked especially that I "hold my breath" I will do it tomorrow morning - Monday and see how it goes, I'll get a yellow on Oxycise today just cause for July and future am giving myself "OFF" on Sunday's for oxycise anyway.

I am anticipating Lola to continue to slowly recover and having a less intense upcoming week. My husband is on vacation so I will be too, although I am going to do a little work on my project ... keeping it to barebones minimum.

Oy! this is long, better check out now, get back later to record my No S day stuff!

Blueskighs

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:45 pm

Thanks for poking in on my thread to say hi. Glad Lola is better.

Cvmom

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:30 am

Yaaay! Such good news! Oh, how we love our pets. Last night one of our cats was outside (we always bring them in at dinnertime and they are not allowed out again until morning for their safety). We were unaware that she spent the night outside. It was a scary couple of hours this morning before we found her. She is deaf and so cannot hear us call her any longer, so we just looked around the whole neighborhood until we found her. My daughter's eyes are still agitated this evening from the crying she was doing as she was searching. I'm glad both our Sundays got turned around, Blue.
Jill

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:11 am

Jill,
I am so glad you found your kitty! Sounds like your daughter is happy too!

Day 105

SUCCESS

B:donuts, chai tea latte
sweet: frozen peanut butter cups
L: California Soy Berkley Pizza from Z pizza ... will put picture up at my blog ... www.nosdiet.blogspot.com
D: yogurt, honey, blueberries, walnuts
Snack: cherries

Blueskighs

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:06 pm

So glad the kitty is better!

Love the pie story. I learned to make cherry pie last year, and like you I was AMAZED at how much better homemade is than bought. (I'd given a coupon to my hubby for Christmas that said "baked goods of your choice for no reason" as a stocking-stuffer, and he asked for cherry pie. I'd never made one, but found a good recipe...He loved it - said it was the best he'd ever had - and I felt so proud.)

Blueberry... yum. They're in season here, but I haven't had time to go pick them. Yet. :)

all as one
Location: wishing I was on the beach with my husband, Florida

Keep fighting Lola girl!

Post by all as one » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:34 pm

:D Our Sampson (seal point Siamese) is 19, blind and refuses most of the time to use his box so we have puppy pads all around the upstairs. He purrs all the time and loves to be held. He's a very happy kitty. So glad to hear Lola decided to eat, sounds like she wants to take care of her humans awhile! Well they do take care of us don't they? Take care. Cara :wink:
all I can be is me, nothing more, nothing less.

Tink

Post by Tink » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:31 pm

blueskighs wrote:our dear little Lola is going to be hanging around giving us love and smiles a little while longer.
Yay!! This is the best news!!! :D

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:35 am

KCCC,

CHERRY PIE! how do you pit the cherries to make the pie? :D Something I've long been wondering. Very Cool gift idea for your husband. Coincidently watched movie Waitress last night ... it was all about making pies!

all as one,
cara - yes, they definitely do take care of us :D Sampson sounds like a dear and loyal companion, thank you for checking on me and Lola.

Tink,
yes, this is the best news. Today she ate a lot/FREQUENTLY and has started drinking water. SO she is walking, eating, drinking, and using her box. The crises is over. Although she is wobbly, she is continuing to make progress. We'll go back to vet on Aug 1 to see if her thyroid meds are working.

Whew! What an intensely emotional week. Unless there is something else going on, we have our fingers crossed she will continue to get steadier on her feet. Thank you again for your support and encouragement. Lola thanks you too :D

Day 106
SUCCESS

B:WHOLE GRAIN MIX plus (used soy milk rather than yogurt today and I think I like it better)
L:steamed veggies and bing cherries
D:Amys bistro burgers with mustard

got all greens on my HABITCAL for first time since "crisis", it is nice for things to start settling back down. Seems like habitbuilding on NO S is helping things more quickly and easily to fall back into their normal place, that is nice, not so much effort.

Blueskighs

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:34 pm

Hey blue, sounds like Lola is making a great steady recovery. I'm so glad to hear that. :)
And aren't you/we lucky to have the strong habits of No S to help us through a crisis and to help us get right back on track strongly when the crisis is over?!

Your blueberry pie looks delicious on your blog! I bet it tasted great too.

Have a great day! :D

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:24 am

OrganicGal,

Lola's recovery has become amazing, it has been one week. She is getting back to being her usual funny, cute, demanding, endearing self. This morning I had her downstairs eating and getting meds. She has been sleeping in this large box past few days that apparently she has grown quite attached to for time being.

She booked it upstairs twice and stood in the bedroom staring at me "and where is my box?" :D Of course I conceded and she was soon back in her box and her box was in its place!

It is AMAZING how sticking tight with No S has kept things from getting too out of hand. Today my husband said he was impressed. For some reason he vividly remembers many Mondays when I did not STOP from weekend excess :D On the other hand, funny how I had "forgotten" all that til he brought it up. No S is good. Very very good.

DAY 107

SUCCESS

B: WHOLE GRAIN plus (have settled on quinoa, teff, buckwheat mixture for time being .... it makes me feel SO GOOD I think it is stabilizing my blood sugar so I was at Walmart today and picked up some test strips to test) plus=unsweetened plain soymilk, peaches, blueberries and ground flax seeds
L:arugula salad from Zpizza www.zpizza.com , baked tofu
D:life is definitely ... a bowl of cherries :D

Blueskighs

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:02 am

blueskighs wrote:KCCC,

CHERRY PIE! how do you pit the cherries to make the pie? :D Something I've long been wondering. Very Cool gift idea for your husband. Coincidently watched movie Waitress last night ... it was all about making pies!
I cheat and use canned-in-water. ::Hanging head and scuffing foot::

In my defense, cherries were out of season when I started making the pies. :)

I am so thrilled to hear the news about your kitty. What an emotional roller-coaster that had to have been!

Blueskighs, can you describe your breakfast combination a bit more? Is this something you put together like a recipe, or is it something that you've found that's already mixed? It sounds both good and healthy, and I'd like to try it. (Getting a bit tired of oatmeal these days.)

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:56 am

Hey Blue,

What great kitty news!!!!!

I remember eating cherries by the crate full one summer during my college years when I lived in British Columbia. Being from the deep south we just don't have that as a readily available fresh fruit. YUM!!

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:04 am

KCCC,

no need to scuff those feet about the cherries :D I was just always so curious how they get the pits out. now I did some research on the net and they have cherry pitters although may be quite a bit of work .... hmmmmmmm... will we try cherry pie this weekend? hmmmmmm... have to think about it.

MY GOODNESS NO S DIET IS FUN!

Multigrain Cereal Plus

I get my "stuff" at local health food store, jimbos. Get quinoa and buckwheat bulk. Teff is in bags, a bit pricey but I am using small amounts so will last a while.

Last weekend got a Proctor Silex automatic rice cooker $19.99, got with 20% off coupon so really good deal at like $17 with tax. I am making for one or two so wanted a small one, also wanted to make daily rather than a batch for a week.

In the cooker I put 2 TBSP quinoa, 2 TBSP Buckwheat, 2 TBSP Teff,1 cup water, and 2 pinches of salt. It takes about 30 mintues. Had to play with water volume so it doesnt spill over.

I like the cooker cause once you get the liquid volume right you just put in the grain, salt and water, turn it on and you can walk away. It even warms it for you until you are ready to eat. PRETTY NIFTY!

check out the health benefits of quinoa here:

http://www.bodyecology.com/07/04/12/qui ... _guide.php

then I put in soymilk, ground flax seeds (about a TBSP or less ground in small automatic coffee grinder), and fruit.

I tested my blood sugar today and it is amazingly stable throughout day. I think its my MULTIGRAIN MIX ... I am going to start eating daily, even on most S days.

KCCC let me know if you have any more questions. I also tried with barley and steel cut oats but I like the mix better without them.

Think I will make a blog entry out of this, KCCC thank you for idea.

Lola walked downstairs today. She is more her "self". It has been an emotional roller coaster, looks like things might settle down ... YAY!

Resting

my husband could easily eat cratefuls of cherries :D the guy at the cherry stand at the farmer's market loves me, every summer MAY through JULY we buy tons, but that is the only time they are in season so ....WHAT THE HEY! best to enjoy :D

always nice to hear from you and see you on boards.

Day 108 NWS

SUCCESS

B: MULTI whoops what am I calling this stuff? WHOLE GRAINS plus :D
"L":donut and 3 pump chai
D: garden salad and BiG WaVe Vegetarian burger ... dear hubby is on vacation and on burger kick :wink:
Treat: 3 pump ice green tea

Hmmmmmm.... pretty good day ... we did lots of errands... so fun ... NOT! but just stuff that has to get done AND it is much more fun to do together, anyway glad that's all done and Lola was of course glad to have us back home,

eveyone have a nice evening,

later on ate more :D plums and baked tofu ... ah you gotta love those NWS days!
Blueskighs
Last edited by blueskighs on Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

navi

Post by navi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:18 am

I make a savory pilaf for breakfast that includes instant brown & red rice, red quinoa, red lentils, red bell pepper & tiny diced carrots. It cooks in about 15 minutes. I make a batch every few days, and for breakfast I take a portion & heat in the frying pan with EVOO (just a touch), scramble an egg in there & then add chopped up fresh spinach. It is amazingly good and it always gives me lots of energy for the day.....I really love the crunch the quinoa gives it & the red lentils add a bit of extra flavor & protein. If i skip on weekends i really miss it! Adding quinoa to hot cereal mix sounds good too!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:19 am

Okay you two... on quinoa, I've tried it in a package - sort of a health-food version of a pilaf mix - but don't you have to wash it or prep it in some way if it's bulk so it isn't bitter? I've been hesitant to just buy it "raw" to cook it, because I feel that I should do something but don't really know what.

Blue- you absolutely should blog about this, and put an exact recipe up. :) And gionta, a recipe from you would be great too. (Hint, hint.)

I love the great ideas for food from this forum.

Blue - so glad to hear that your kitty continues to improve. Let me know if you try a cherry pie. I am still using canned cherries b/c fresh ones cost a fortune here. If I can get to the blueberries before they're gone, you've inspired me to try a blueberry pie!

navi

Post by navi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:58 pm

KCCC, you are right, Quinoa seeds are coated in bitter saponins which must be rinsed off before cooking. However, I get pre-rinsed Quinoa so that I don't have to mess with rinsing. This is the brand i use (I get it at a health food store): http://www.quinoa.net/145/index.html
I like the red inca variety, I really like the color it adds. When I first bought it, I was not crazy about eating it on its own, not sure why. I started mixing it in with brown rice or other grains (about 1/3 quinoa), and I really like it this way! It adds a nutty crunch that goes well with the rice. Here is how I have been eating it lately (i go through phases):

Cook the following for about 15 minutes, covered:
1/2 cup of dry rice blend (I get it at publix):
http://www.amazon.com/RiceSelect-Royal- ... B000EH4XZW
(when i get a new jar, i mix in more instant brown rice to the blend to add more fiber)
1/8 cup of red lentils
1/8 cup of red inca quinoa
1 or 2 carrots chopped fine
diced red bell pepper
1 3/4 cups water (appx.)

This makes enough for 3 breakfasts. I heat in pan in morning with a touch of EVOO, then make a well in it, scramble an egg in there, and mix it all up, adding a handful of chopped up fresh spinach. It makes a really wonderful and filling fried-rice kind of dish. I don't add soy sauce but i suppose you could.....let me know what you think if you try it! So far i haven't served it to anyone.
-g

Tink

Post by Tink » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:22 pm

blueskighs wrote:She is getting back to being her usual funny, cute, demanding, endearing self.
Blue so glad to hear of Lola’s continuing recovery! :D

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:03 pm

gionta,

I was actually thinking in fall/winter when there is less fruit I will try a savory recipe for my morning grains, thank you for sharing yours! I will try it then and let you know. That was very nice of you to post. I like the idea of adding the scrambled egg and spinach. I may try it sooner if I get tired of way I am eating them now.

KCCC,

I am not too careful with all this, all I know is I buy mine in bullk and I don't rinse or soak and they are not bitter :D (yes I know about the saponins) but my husband, who is PICKY about such things has goaded me into doing so, so tonight I will just soak what i am going to cook tomorrow and then rinse before throw in rice cooker.

Its one of those things that once you do it, you see how easy and straightforward it is. I will put up on my blog sometime day, exact, but since i use rice cooker I don't have times, it shuts itself off when the grains are done.

I did research on pitting cherries. They have cherry pitters for about 10 bucks, but on internet says it is easier to pit with a straw! I already have straws so will try that. I bought so many cherries last weekend I am pretty certain we will have enough to try a pie this weekend. PROBABLY on Sunday, will keep you guys posted.

KCCC thank you for inspiring me on this, even after the blueberry pie I would never have even thought of making cherry, although I absolutely LOVE cherry pie too. Will see how it all goes but I am excited!

Tink,
THank you for checking in on Lola, she continues to improve. now she is as vet says little miracle cat :D

Blueskighs

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:00 am

Blue, thought of you when I saw this: cherry pitter article

Let us know how the straw works!

And I will have to try the quinoa - though it may not be for a while. We're going on vacation soon, and I'm trying to "use up the pantry" a bit before we go.

I'm considering looking at a rice cooker based on your comments about how easy they make the grain mixes. I used to think one would be a total waste of space, b/c I could cook rice in a pot, and I'm generally not into "specialty appliances" that take up a lot of room. We'll see... I'd have to be convinced that it would earn its keep! :)

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:41 am

KCCC,

thanks for the cherry pitter article :D I am trying to decide ... straw ... cherry pitter? oh such monumental choices! I am going to try to pit a cherry tomorrow with my lunch with a straw, if it works great, if not may see if I can find a cherry pitter. we are pretty much committed to cherry pie this weekend, unless that is we eat the five pounds of cherries in my fridge before SUNDAY!

I don't think even we could do that :D

That is so funny what you said about rice cooker, I have thought about getting one FOR YEARS, but like you ... who needs another as you say "speciality" appliance. But I was just really burning out of everything I have been eating for breakfast and I was reading a weightlifting book and the guy went on and on about how he does this grain mix in the rice cooker, and so finally i thought WHAT THE HECK? of course NOW I am glad I got it. WHY?

for me it has to be efficient. especially if you are going to do it day in and day out. This is efficient. I throw in grains, salt, water, plug in, push button and do my morning stuff, within thiry minutes it is sitting there cooked and on warm just waiting for me. Plus it is SO easy to clean, the trick is getting the water and grain volume right so you don't bubble over. It took me about 3-5 tries but now I think I have it.

Sorry to go on and on. I understand about "use up the pantry" plus I am slow adopter, will hear about things and then months sometimes years later ..... :D

Day 109

SUCCESS

I would be a big fat huge liar if I said I was not hugely enjoying the glut of NWS/S days planned while my husband has been on vacation. In other words, it has been great. Another N day tomorrow and then off to my final 3 day weekend.

I LOVE NO S!

B: WHOLE GRAINS plus
L:steamed veggie plate with bing cherries
D:baked tofu and plums

nice day,

Blueskighs

Tink

Post by Tink » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:43 am

blueskighs wrote: we are pretty much committed to cherry pie this weekend,
~Tink patiently waits with a plate and fork hoping for some homemade cherry pie~ :lol:

navi

Post by navi » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:32 pm

Blueskighs, I am really jealous about the 5 pounds of cherries in your fridge. Alas, I am in Florida for grad school, no homegrown cherries down here! Came here from Washington state, & loved cherry season.

One last note on my "breakfast pilaf" - i use that particular lundberg mix because it cooks in 15 minutes - with regular brown rice i think the lentils and carrots would be too mushy if you cooked it the ususal 40 minutes...maybe with rice cooker you could add some of the ingredients 1/2 way through? anyhow, just a note in case you try it someday. i go through phases where i eat the same thing for 3 months & suddenly don't want to look at it again. then i switch to something else for a while. when i get sick of the pilaf i will try your whole grain cereal. (i never get tired of cherry pie though!)

g

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:30 pm

Tink,

you and I both :wink: are anxiously awaiting that cherry pie! I don't know if I can wait til Sunday but we have too much to do tomorrow to be able to make it, relax and ENJOY!

I will definitely let you know!

Gionta,

we are lucky living in Southern California, I have to admit we are spoiled rotten with good produce, evey day of the week except Monday and Wednesday, we have a decent Farmer's Market within driving distance.

WOW ... being from Washington State I can imagine you would REALLY MISS cherry season.

about your dish, I was thinking "what would happen if I put lentils in rice cooker :D " cause I love lentils too, and the red ones cook faster? Yes? Hmmm.... I will try this someday and definitely let you know! It would be easy to throw that in skillet and cook with EVOO, egg and spinach I think?

Blueskighs

navi

Post by navi » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:55 pm

Blueskighs, the red lentils (actually kind of orange-pink) cook really fast - 15 to 20 minutes, then they start getting mushy (good if you are making dal), and turn a yellow color. Not sure what can go in the rice cooker as I am not sure how they work. Does the rice cooker steam the rice? I make a batch of this & put in pan w/egg & spinach (if spinach added when cooking rice, gets too slimy), it is awesome.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:07 am

gionta,

the rice cooker does steam the food, I might experiment when I try first and just see what happens. Never know ... it might work :wink: But you are right, then I would throw in other pan with eggs and spinach.

I know what you are talking about with the red lentils, we use those to make a really nice and lovely dal that comes out bright yellow. Next time I make it I will put up a picture!

Day 110

SUCCESS

L:Baked Tofu, Z pizza Pear and Gorgonzola Salad www.zpizza.com , with Bing Cherries, photo at my blog ... www.nosdiet.blogspot.com
D:tofu sausage and steamed peas with EVOO, Celtic Sea Salt and (always) freshly ground pepper

Let's see I tried to "pit" one of my cherries at lunch with a straw. IT WORKED! I was truly amazed. The cherry was rather firm so you had to push hard at the end but sure enough it went through ...

Otherwise, TGIF, everyone,
S day tomorrow!

Blueskighs

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:34 am

Day 111

SUCCESS

"L": 3 pump chai tea latte, donut
D: Vegan Nachos
"Snack": Machine Brewed Lung Ching Dragonwell Iced Green Tea (no sweetener) from Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf www.coffeebean.com for me, Starbucks has best chai tea latte, vegan, coffee bean puts some powder with dried milk in theirs, but hands down, Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf has absolutely BEST nothing else in it machine brewed iced green tea!
Treat: Mini Peanut Butter Cups

Pretty Good S Day! YAY :D

Tomorrow,
CHERRY PIE!
Blueskighs

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:57 am

Blue...it sounds like you've had a great weekend so far....and more to look forward to. I am not a coffee or tea drinker, so the drinks you describe don't excite me...lol....but I am glad you have found something that you enjoy soooooo much. And I don't think either one of those drinks could possibly be 'bad' for you, especially because you drink them in moderation.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:24 am

DARN! the Cherry Pie did not come out as excellent as last weekend's blueberry pie. It was good but I was disappointed. We cut the sugar in half and added lemon for tartness. We decided next time, next year, we will not add lemon. OH WELL!

It took almost an hour to pit the cherries, amazing thing to me was that I did it. The cherries we had were REALLY firm, when I do it again will use "soft" ones, probably cut pitting time in half!

OrganicGal, when I used to get off sugar one of my friends asked me what I missed the most, after I thought about it I realized it was my drinky things!

Day 112

SUCCESS

"L": donut and 3 pump chai
Snack: mini peanut butter cups
D: curried egg salad sandwich and carrot sticks
Treat: mini peanut butter cups, cherry pie, 3 pump chai

It was a nice relaxing day, but we are a bit sad cause my husband's vacatoin is almost over. Last day is tomorrow. I will then also be done with NWS days for rest of this month.

Hmmmmmm.... that's probably a good thing :D

Blueskighs

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:50 pm

blue...too bad about the cherry pie...especially after the manual cherry pitting project that took so long. :lol:

But the good thing is...you can try again...or make other pies from scratch.

I've never been a coffee or tea drinker....or 'hot' drinks of any kind...an occasional hot chocolate if I've been out playing in the snow or something.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:34 pm

Sorry the cherry pie didn't turn out well! I have not gotten to the blueberry one yet, and am not sure I will. Weekends are filling up, so berry-picking may not happen...

I make cherry pie filling with just cherries (canned in water and drained - they are SO expensive fresh where I live!), sugar, and tapioca (for thickening). That's it - mix and let stand about 15 minutes so the tapioca can work. The cherries are usually tart enough on their own.

What is your blueberry pie recipe?

Sorry vacation is ending for you...

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:39 am

KCCC,

we used same recipe for cherry and blueberry pie, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 TBSP lemon juice, 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and then pats of butter before you cover with crust, but we use Earth Balance a vegan alternative to butter. I think with the cherry pie we will leave out the lemon juice and try 3/4 cup sugar. The recipe for the cherry pie called for a cup.

OH WELL, NEXT YEAR :D

vacation is over and we are pretty much done with pies until Thanksgiving.

I really did overdo it on several of my vacation S days, but they were S days. I have to admit, this is the ONLY diet I can go on and over do S days and still be following the diet perfectly. I have to admit, there is something I kind of like about that! That being said I am very happy with tomorrow being an N day. I did "plan" most of my overdoing it, I just didn't plan how I would FEEL over doing it. Next time I will have to plan differently :D

Day 113 - NWS

last day of vacation :(
SUCCESS

B: cherry pie, donut, chai tea
L: Big Wave vegetarian burger, garden salad w/out croutons, fries and onion rings with my ketchup :D

Then I went to Von's to get some cake and get another tea, instead I sat on a bench and realized I was really sad that vacation was ending and eating a piece of cake I didn't really want and another tea wouldn't change the fact that vacation was ending or that I was sad so I went home and had
d:yogurt, honey, walnuts and fruit

AH well, it's all done, back on HABIT and REAL WORLD LIFE tomorrow!
wish me luck,

Blueskighs

Tink

Post by Tink » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:07 am

blueskighs wrote: wish me luck,
Good Luck ! you are doing AWESOME!!!!!!!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:47 am

blueskighs wrote:
I did "plan" most of my overdoing it, I just didn't plan how I would FEEL over doing it. Next time I will have to plan differently :D

Then I went to Von's to get some cake and get another tea, instead I sat on a bench and realized I was really sad that vacation was ending and eating a piece of cake I didn't really want and another tea wouldn't change the fact that vacation was ending or that I was sad so I went home and had
d:yogurt, honey, walnuts and fruit
Wow, even on vacation you've had some really important insights! Go, Blueskighs!

I expect you'll fine habit easier than you think. Just be sure to plan N-meals you LIKE for a bit - that makes it easier.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:25 pm

Hey Blue,

How wonderful to sit on that bench and THINK about what YOU want and realize that it wasn't food. Almost too cool for words!

Our automatic eating days are OOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEERRRRRR!!!

Woo hoo!

Resting

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:37 pm

That's an amazing realization blue....that the cake was not going to make your sad feelings go away.
Thanks for sharing it, it gives me something to think about.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:08 am

Hey you guys,
I am allright!

I don't know why I was so worried about today, but it was the first time since I started No S I was like "am I going to make it?"

But the alarm went off and I just started doing my thing. I ended up having a great day and getting a lot of stuff done. Also the intense sadness that I felt yesterday had passed, maybe just cause I let myself feel it, and I end up feeling kind of refreshed and energetic today.

So Tink your good wishes helped!

KCCC, you were right, it was important for me to eat food that made me happy at each of my meals today.

Resting and Organic Gal,

yeah I realized after I got home that it was kind of significant. It's hard to explain how sad I felt last night and how intense it was and how much I just didn't want to accept that I felt that sad, it just didn't "make sense", whatever, I just feel like moments like i had on the bench and others that I have read others share about are the ones that really help make deep changes in our relationships with food and eating, ourselves and our lives.

Today, after having such a great and constructive N day, I just feel more hopeful about my future than I have ever been. I know I have shared I have struggled a long time with BED - Binge Eating Disorder - with No S I am really starting to beleive this is going to become a part of my past. It's all kind of an amazing process to go through.

Day 114

SUCCESS

B:scrambled eggs tofu sausage
L:whole grain toast with earth balance and natural fruit spread
D: Z pizza arugula salad add avocado, baked tofu and cherries

I am going to sleep well tonight!

Thank you for of all your support and encouragment. I really appreciate it,
Blueskighs
Last edited by blueskighs on Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tink

Post by Tink » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:27 pm

Blue I knew ya could do it :wink:

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:24 am

Tink,
thank you for your support :D

that is what my husband said too, he was not shocked at all, apparently he thinks I have this licked, WE'll SEE!

DAY 115

SUCCESS

B: scrambled eggs and tofu sausage
L: Z pizza pear and gorgonzola salad add avocado, baked tofu, cherries
D: WHOLE GRAINS plus

kind of an excellent day!

Blueskighs

Tink

Post by Tink » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:20 pm

blueskighs wrote: kind of an excellent day!
:)

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:52 am

Tink,
thank you the smiley!

My goodness I am feeling invigorated today! I had a great workout and just feel pretty good all around. Did I say I love the No S Diet? This is my 3rd N day after vacation and the world has fallen back into order with little on no effort on my part.

It this what Reinhard means when he says it gets easier? Apparently IT REALLY DOES! I think that was the main point about reading the book. After I read it I was willing to "trust" the No S process. I am so glad I did.

I would wish a healed/healing relationship with food and eating for anyone who has ever struggled with the stuff!

Day 116

SUCCESS

B: scrambled eggs and tofu sausage ... will put photos on blog ... www.nosdiet.blogspot.com
L: WHOLE GRAINS plus ... this is one of the things I absolutley LOVE about NO S .... if I want to extend my breakfast over two meals ... well just go ahead :D
D: steamed veggie plate and bing cherries,

Have a nice evening all,
Blueskighs

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:15 pm

Good for you, Blue! It is great to read about how well this works. As you know, I am tweaking a bit, but the main premise is still No-S.

I am curious. If I remember correctly, you are at a weight you are happy with, am I right? Or at least, I think you only want to lose a few... I wonder if it is easier to lose it slowly when someone is pretty close to where they want to be anyway... I know I would love to eat the way I have been and maintain, as I've been doing, IF I were at, or even close, to a good weight for me...

I'm happy for you anyway, and thanks for the support proffered in the general discussion thread! I can use it!
Jill

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:32 pm

I wonder if it is easier to lose it slowly when someone is pretty close to where they want to be anyway... I know I would love to eat the way I have been and maintain, as I've been doing, IF I were at, or even close, to a good weight for me...
Jill,

it probably/possibly is. I am definitely today at a "liveable" weight/size/level of body fat (excellent for my age) so now I am just "tweaking" my size and fitness. I guess that is why I am so thrilled to have had some wacky weekends the past month and still be maintaining.

The first two months of weight loss got me to the point where all but my 2 tiniest jeans and 1 pencil skirt doesn't fit, but I don't need to wear that skirt anytime soon :D and all my other jeans/and slacks fit great. So yes, I am sure that makes a difference.

As far as my "tweaking" my size, in my twenties I suffered from a pretty serious depression, my doctor sent me on a consult where the doc said I was "most clinically depressed" person he had seen that month and wrote a prescription for meds.

I cried the whole way out of the office, got the pharmacy insert for the pills and just threw it all away. I was determined that i could get through what I was going through (a very tragic loss and zero external support) through natural means.

I learned to cry a lot and found that physical movement was the greatest stress releiver. Now as I continue to have the urge to develop mentally, morally and spiritually, I find resistance training to be a great model for building psychological strength.

Plus it makes me feel good, sleep good and keep me young.

I am somewhat of a purist by nature, I suppose that is why No S appeals to me, the simplicity is very pure and it fits in perfectly with my philosphy of internal growth as the solution to most problems.

I like No S Diet because when I follow it, I grow internally and I suppose that it has been the bookend to the quest of an overweight teenager's efforts to learn to feed herself.

For me No S diet is like a good mother. I lost my mom when I was four and from that point on food was a problem for me. My mom didn't ever make me eat food I didn't want to eat and I don't ever remember eating sweets with her except for my last birthday (4 years old) perhaps the fixation I had on VON's Birthday cake .... anyway ... the home I was placed in by the courts who are often very limited in their abilities to address the realities of what goes on behind closed doors - was with my father, his mother, his wife, everyone was dieting and/or fixated and/or fighting about food to some degree. my father's wife, had a healthier eating pattern but not healther mental/emotional patterns. FOOD took front and center stage.

For me No S Diet is like a good mother because to me a good mother would help their child learn how to eat properly. i.e. eat predominately healthy food and ENJOY it along with life.

This is the gift that Reinhard has given me with his No S Diet, he has returned my internal good mother to me and i am blossoming, and I am grateful, and I know how awful it is to struggle with these issues and I just want other people to have this too,

Blueskighs

Joelle

Post by Joelle » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:38 pm

Blue,
Wow, I know exactly what you mean about finding your internal good mother. Not only that, but I have two kids (5 and 7) and have always struggled with the example that I set for them with food and body image.
I finally feel like my actions match my words. Internally, it feels like the "Mother" part of me, the part that wants the best for me and wants to take good care of me, is finally in charge, instead of the tantrum-ing teenager who has always run the show.
((((Blue)))) Hugs for putting my feeling into words yet again. :wink:
Have a great day,
Joelle
P.S. you mentioned watching House in a different post. Loooove House!

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:28 pm

Thanks for sharing all that, Blue. I grew up in a loving home with both my parents, but food was definitely used to show love and comfort. So, over the years I became quite attached to it. And then dieting would be severe deprivation, physically and emotionally. I think that's what I like so much about No-S. It's the most anti-dieting I have ever done. And, if you remember, I, like you, had not binged at all since beginning. But, as soon as I started thinking of a diet again, out came the binge monster and I now know beyond a doubt that I cannot diet anymore. Yet, I want to lose some weight, so I am happy with the "tweaks" I've decided to try. It's still No-S for me, just a different flavor... (Vanilla was never my favorite anyway!) :lol:
Jill

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:06 am

I finally feel like my actions match my words. Internally, it feels like the "Mother" part of me, the part that wants the best for me and wants to take good care of me, is finally in charge, instead of the tantrum-ing teenager who has always run the show.
very well said! there is definitely an inner "cleaness" or something when our actions match our words, and yeah time to help those unruly teenagers to GROW UP :D
I grew up in a loving home with both my parents, but food was definitely used to show love and comfort. So, over the years I became quite attached to it.
it is different how it all comes down for us, I hope your new "plan" for No S works well for you ... so what flavor is it :wink:

Blueskighs

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:19 am

Day 117

SUCCESS

B: scrambled eggs and tofu sausage
L: Z pizza arugula salad add avocado, baked tofu
D: bowl of cherries

it was a good friday, ended a bit hectic and late :D

Blueskighs

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:23 pm

Hey Blue,

what an amazing post. It might be interesting to have a thread on the discussion board re how food was viewed in our childhood homes. My mom was a fantastic cook-still is. We all overate, I think chiefly, because the food was fabulous and plentiful. Still I sneaked sweets.

Here is NoS being that watchful, wise mother, that feeds but doesn't over-indulge. I just love that example!

Reinhard in a dress!

Resting

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:55 pm

blueskighs wrote: I hope your new "plan" for No S works well for you ... so what flavor is it :wink:

Blueskighs
Well, I hadn't given it much thought, but at this point, I guess it would be chocolate mint... :lol: Thanks for your support.

I think my new plan is going to ease the weekend "idiocy" I have been engaging in. This morning as I was waking up and realizing it was Saturday, in other words an S-Day, I remembered my new plan which calls for three "discrepancies" a week. It immediately put some damage control on my day, which felt very good. So far it seems to be working out beautifully. Today is truly just like any other day of the week for me...
Jill

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:57 pm

resting52 wrote: Reinhard in a dress!
Can't say I love that image! :D I doubt Reinhard and the Mrs. would either! LOL
Jill

I'm baaaaack

Post by I'm baaaaack » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:57 pm

Hi Bue,
Thanks for the comment on my blog. I appreciated it. I just finished reading a lot of yours and I am so impressed with your progress. You can feel very proud of yourself. We also eat very healty and organic and make most of our food from scratch but I never made vegan even though I am intriued with it. The vegan meals I do make always seem to leave my husband hungry and snacking. How long have you been vegan? Maybe I missed that part of the blog. Keep on doing what you are doing because it is working.
This time without the OCD.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:11 pm

Resting,

thank you! maybe will start a thread in the future - but please start one if you feel so inclined, i am a little bit tired today, we have been staying up too late watching House DVDs and now I am dreaming about "differentials" at night :D

JillyBean,

after past two or three weeks I need to ease the idiocy on S days too! hopefully we will both have great success with this! Especially as time goes on.

I'm baaaaack,

I started vegan in May 2006. In March of this year (2008) I added organic yogurt and free range eggs I buy from a local farmer at the farmer's market. I eat small amounts of cheese on salads that I buy.

The first year of being vegan was challenging and I know what you mean about your husband being hungry and snacking. I didn't expect my husband to become vegan either but he read some of the same book I did. He grew up on a farm and was pretty appalled to learn about modern day farming/dairy practices.

We will tend to eat either a lot of tofu, beans, olive oil, avocados, nuts and or seeds. ALso good whole grain breads, brown rice, whole grain cereals can be filling too.

Serving foods with good portions of vegetables I think helps. Finally my husband is one of those who always wants a "sweet" after a meal but has found he prefers fresh fruit from farmer's market. He explained the fruit is much sweeter and tastes better from farmer's market because it is not picked too early and allowed to ripen on the vine.

Of course if you are vegetarian things like eggs and yogurt and cheese can help round out your meal and increase the overall feeling of satisfaction. I actually wanted to become vegan about twenty years ago but it has really taken a long time to learn how to feed myself properly.

I think for people who are interested it is just best to experiment with foods you like and slowly integrate cooking styles and menus. We are trying to help some friends of my husband who want to make the shift and it makes me realize it is a difficult change to make going zero to ninety.

I really support just eating less meals with animal products and/or just eating smaller portion of animal products at each meal.

LONG ANSWER!

thank you for your support and encouragement. I have made a lot of progress, honestly it is hard to take any credit because I could never acheive this before reading the NO S Diet book and being on these boards. So obviously I am very grateful that Reinhard and you guys are all here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAY 118 (Saturday)

SUCCESS

B: green tea, chai tea, mona vie with protein powder (who's idea was that? bad one, gag me with a spoon :D )
L: baked tofu and cherries
D: salad, ravioli, rosemary bread with olive oil ... pictures at my blog ... www.nosdiet.blogspot.com
treat: yogurt with honey, peaches, blueberry and walnuts ... pictures at my blog ... www.nosdiet.blogspot.com

Blueskighs

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:25 pm

Day 119 (Sunday)

SUCCESS

B: donuts, chai tea latte, green tea

L: I CHEATED!!!! we went back to Il Fornaio, it was the last day of this regional menu, my husband wanted to try the bluenose seabass the waiter recommended the night before. I jumped on the "seafood band wagon" with him and we shared crab soup in lobster stock soup and warm seafood salad. My entree was grilled sole with eggplant and yukon gold potatoes. I had two more pieces of rosemary bread in EVOO! I want to say it was totally YUMMY and worth the "cheat" but I can't :(

D: yogurt with honey, fruit and walnuts

BUT I was definitely NOT an idiot on my S days this weekend. YAY! :D

Blueskighs

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:13 pm

Hey Blue,

House DVDs like Hugh Laurie, Dr. House??? I'm a BIG fan since it veers away from the usual medical pablum.

Saw you got another Bright Angel zing. :cry:

You have a wonderful attitude!

Yum to your meals.

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:47 am

Resting,

yes that Dr. House! We have found we like watching tv shows on DVD, no commercials and you get the whole season although it is not "new" it is new for us.

I don't watch any other medical shows either but House is fun.
Thank you for your compliment on my attitude :wink:

Support from people like you always helps! You posted a really great biblical quote that I appreciated. Glad to see you are doing well and sounds like you had good S days this weekends!

Day 120

SUCCESS

B: MIXED GRAINS plus
L: Z pizza arugula salad
D: baked tofu and cherries,

it was quite a busy monday! remember how I used to gripe and whine about Mondays that has been gone for a while now. I hope it stays gone!

Blueskighs

Tink

Post by Tink » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:20 am

Hi Blue!
I agree with resting you have a GREAT attitude and House rocks; can't wait for the new season! :)

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:01 pm

Yeah, the House last night was a rerun..........although with my aging brain it is always NEW. Let's hear it for competent, yet cranky, doctors. Did you ever see Hugh Laurie in the British comedies where he played Bertie Wooster?

Good for you not griping about Mondays. Sounds like NoS has smoothed out your days. Isn't that amazing????

Yeah, I like that Bible quote too. Makes such sense about how focusing on a problem by adding all kind of restrictions is counter productive and actually drives us more towards the problem. God knew what He was talking about.
:lol:

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:40 am

Tink and Resting,

we just discovered the joys of House a few weeks ago and are having fun watching numerous episodes on the weekends... we are right now in the middle of season 2. I don't know anything medical, but now I know about MRIs intubation LPs and get those paddles :D

He is truly a character and my husband always goes ... "OH GOOD A CLINIC VISIT" because they just too funny!!!!!

No I didn't see the other shows Hugh Laurie was on, but Joelle told me he also wrote a book!

Let's see, yes, NO S smoothing out my monday's I am continually AMAZED about the random positive byproducts of adhering to NO S as it seeps deep down into my unconscious :D

Oh and God knowing what he was talking about, hmmmmm... apparently there is a power greater than ourselves :wink: Now THAT'S something to celebrate!

Day 121

SUCCESS

L: pear and gorgonzola salad from Z pizza, add avocado
D: plums and baked tofu

Let's see I started NO S on march 24 so I am coming up on anniversary, I will probably post some four month RESULTS on friday or saturday. My husband is taking a two week staycation in September about which I am greatly enthused. Have planned 3 NWS days for that - 2 for birthdays and then will take Labor day, so that will be a total of 4 NWS days in September. I may or may not take any NWS days in August. We shall see,

Blueskighs

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:51 am

Day 122

SUCCESS

L: Z pizza arugula salad add avocado
D: baked tofy with plums ... picture at my blog ... www.nosdiet.blogspot.com

FOOD RUT :D at least I got a change of scenery today when I went to go eat my salad at the restaruant rather than swinging by and picking it up on the way home ...

lots of paperwork, house, etc. issues today ... BLEYCH! is about all I have to say to that.

Blueskighs

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:55 am

DAY123

SUCCESS

b: whole grains plus
l:pear and gorgonzola salad add avocado and two plums ... picture at blog ... www.nosdiet.blogspot.com
d:scrambled eggs and tofu sausage

my nos diet habit cal is fine this month but my project and oxycise ones are looking somewhat like a train wreck :D i got two yellows in the middle of the week on my project ...very unusual... looking forward to august to getting those two habits fully back on track!

Blueskighs

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:35 am

You're still doing great and being your usual inspiring self blue!! No one is perfect and thankfully the No S plan allows that and sets us up for success even if we occasionally stumble. :)

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:25 pm

Organic Gal, thank you for dropping in and picking me up :D

Day 124 (Friday)

SUCCESS

b: WHOLE GRAINS plus
l: Z Pizza Arugula Salad add avocado, baked tofu, and plums
d: curried egg salad sandwich on whole grain bread (every now and then just gotta have it :D ) with carrot sticks

Yummy food day, lots of blah feelings ... just the kind I realized i used to BINGE over ... always a little startling to realize ... honestly my relationship between food/eating/sweets and my emotions and my life are changing dramatically ... i am always a bit stunned when i realize "what am I going to eat?" is not the first thing that pops into my mind now when I have a particularly uncomfortable emotion!

what a journey!

Blueskighs

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:41 pm

Day 125

SUCCESS

B: yogurt, walnuts, blackberries and honey
Treat: chai tea latte ... see photo at my blog ... www.nosdiet.blogspot.com
2nd treat: iced green tea ... see photo at my blog ... www.nosdiet.blogspot.com

L/D: chipotle hummus, with flat bread, grilled romaine salad with red onions and caper berries, black bean soup and portabello mushroom (didn't photo this, we were at park all day, ate a restauarant in the park did not want to lug camera around all day, but wish I had pictures it was all beautifully presented as well as DELICIOUS!)

Day 126

SUCCESS

B: Donuts, chai tea latte, green tea
Treat: yogurt, walnuts, blackberries and honey
L: tofu sausage and peas
Snack: peanut butter crackers
D: monavie, strawberries, soymilk and protien powder

I just want to give everyone a heads up. I have been nosing for eighteen weeks and checking in for almost as long.

I am finding that since i haven't had any red days or red events since I started my habits are pretty well ingrained and I am not having very many problems.

I am pretty much in maintenance mode with my weight, etc. just tweaking my body fat to get to my personal ideal.

And to be honest, I am not as motivated as I was to do daily check-ins. Especially as I find that I hit lots of food ruts. ANYWAY ... I am going to experiment with a time off for the rest of this month and August.

My commitment to myself and this group will be to log any red days or events. SO what that means is if you haven't heard from me, you can safely assume that I am happily nosing away. I currently plan to check-in again in beginning of September, but if I don't my commitment will stand. I want to at least let myself and you guys know if I have stayed ... non-red!

Thank you Reinhard and everyone on the boards for getting me along this far.

Haven't decideed whether I will continue posting on my blog or not, everyone have a great day, so far it is another smooth sailing Monday for me,

Blueskighs

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:45 pm

I will miss you blue, but I can certainly understand your thinking. I'm only on day 62 (?) so I'll be here steadily a bit longer, but I eventually want to get to the point you're at also. There is a part of me that thinks if I feel compelled to post here everyday then I am on a 'diet'. Since No S does not feel like a diet, I don't want to be 'reporting' in forever either.

Good luck...enjoy the rest of your summer and keep in touch. :D

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:23 pm

Best wishes blueskighs.

It was a pleasure to be on the boards with you. You are very positive and encouraging.
I wish you much continued success.

~Melissa

Joelle

Post by Joelle » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:23 am

I'll miss you, Blueskighs, but am happy that you feel ready to "solo." You have been a great example of what's possible with this program. Your bright, encouraging spirit have been a real gift to so many of us. I wish you every good thing.

Joelle

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:18 pm

Bye Blue,

Thanks for all the encouragement along the way. You have been wonderful. Hope to see you again in September.

Resting

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:15 pm

Blue, I do appreciate you're letting us know what you're doing so we don't worry.

I've so enjoyed your comments on the boards, and have learned a lot from you. Look forward to seeing you at regular "still succeeding" check-ins! :)

Best wishes,

KCCC

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:45 pm

Hey you guys!

I could not stay away an entire month without checking in at least once!

I MISS YOU GUYS!
SO its Sunday and I am relaxing and listen to the incredible (IMHO) playlist I have created on my Zune. Well it was my husbands, he won it at a tech conference but never got into it, so instead of letting it go to waste he handed it off to me. SO this is one of the things I have done on my hiatus is learn how to use it and load it up. Very time consuming endeavor :D But oh so fun!

It's only been about three weeks off, but I have gotten tons of stuff done. I suspect I'll be back with some regularity in September but I am going to have to figure out how to balance the free time I have gained by not spending so much time on boards between checking in. I haven't quite figured out how to do that, but we'll see.

OrganicGal, mel1974c, Joelle, resting 52, and KCCC,

your messages mean a lot! so a deep and heartfelt THANK YOU!!!!!!!

I hope everyone is having good summer, I might pop-in on some other threads today after I finish my update and then go on and finish off my break for next two weeks.

The really interesting thing was the first week off I had this strong mind chatter like ... oh it doesn't matter just go for it ... eat whatever you want whenever you want, but apparently HABIT was already stronger and I just had to shake my head and smile at my stubborn inner two year old and say ... Nuhuh! "she" got it and has been very well behaved since then! :D

I keep on having insights and transformations as I stay on No S and I realized today one of the things that I really love about NO S is that it is very self-correcting. I had been having a string of wacky S days and was able to make some simple changes without making a great to do about things. Very nice,

hope everyone is enjoying summer. going to type in mechanical check-in post just for historical continuity. so you all can skip over it!!!!!!!!!

See you lovely great wonderful people again in September!!!!!!!!!!!

Blueskighs

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:58 pm

Day 126
SUCCESS

Day 127
SUCCESS
Day 128
SUCCESS
Day 129
SUCCESS
Day 130
SUCCESS
Day 131
SUCCESS

Day 132
SUCCESS
Day 133
SUCCESS

Day 134
SUCCESS
Day 135
SUCCESS
Day 136
SUCCESS
Day 137
SUCCESS
Day 138
SUCCESS

Day 139
SUCCESS
Day 140
SUCCESS

Day 141
SUCCESS
Day 142
SUCCESS
Day 143
SUCCESS
Day 144
SUCCESS
Day 145
SUCCESS

Day 146
SUCCESS
Day 147
SUCCESS

COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess the point I am making for myself and others is this, red days are fine but they are not necessary :D

and I have to say for me, that what Reinhard says is REALLY TRUE, the stricter you are the EASIER it gets in the long run and that IMHO is just TOO COOL!!!!!!! 8)

Blueskighs

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:32 pm

Wonderful, Blue!!!!!!!!

Good to see you here. I actually went to your blog today to catch up on your NoSing and was inspired as always.

Resting

laguna

Post by laguna » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:44 am

Hi Blue,
Thanks for replying to my post (I think that is what you call it). I am new to posting and don't really know the correct vocabulary. I have read your "posts" and also looked at your blog. You are so committed :)

I am also new to No S and this past week (week 2) feel that I have failed. I have really not had real failure days but have eaten too much or eaten the wrong things so that I have not lost weight this second week. I think it is because we are getting our house ready to sell and there has been so much commotion and craziness going on that my meals have not been as structured as the first week or so. I haven't been to the grocery as often as I do normally and have sort of made do out of the fridge/freezer.

I am still encouraged because I have not snacked on N days so feel I am on the way of establishing a new habit. :D Snacking was a major problem for me and I know contributed to my weight gain. I have gained almost 10 pounds in the last 3 years and at that time wanted to lost 5-10 more. Even though I know I did not gain it quickly, I , like everyone else, want it to just "fall off." I need to accept that this will not happen with No S and be satisfied with my successes.

You have been following No S for a long time and I am amazed that you have checked in as often as you have. Congratulations on your success and I look forward to the day I finally achieve mine.

I wasn't sure whether to "post" this here or on my "thread".

laguna

PS I saw the picture of your kittie on your blog. What a cutie. My kittie is a 14 year old Champage Burmese named Chip and I love him to pieces :lol:
ilovekitties

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:26 pm

Blue,

I just saw on your blog that your dear little kitty is gone. I'm so sorry for your loss. You obviously gave her a loving, lovely home and she returned the favor with loving you back.

Our sweet furry friends are such a gift.

resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:29 pm

laguna,

it was good to hear from you, I hope you are sticking with No S and seeing how it works for you. It is true that I am very committed. I have found something with No S that nothing else that I have tried with food has given. A balance of freedom and discipline!

Chip sounds like a great friend!

Resting,

thank you for your condolonces on Lola. She was a dear sweet companion,

Blueskighs

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Day 148
SUCCESS
Day 149
SUCCESS
Day 150 NWS DAY
SUCCESS
Day 151
SUCCESS
Day 152
SUCCESS
Day 153
SUCCESS
Day 154
SUCCESS
Day 155
SUCCESS
Day 156
SUCCESS
Day 157
SUCCESS
Day 158
SUCCESS
Day 159
SUCCESS
Day 160
SUCCESS
Day 161
SUCCESS
Day 162 - NWS Day Labor Day
SUCCESS

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:39 pm

Coming up on my 6 month anniversary of No S this month. It will be interesting to see what happens after that, because I have not ever been able to sustain any eating plan/diet/self-control :D over my eating for more than six months.

It will be interesting if the right balance of discipline and freedom, which the NO S Diet is for me, will truly help me create something more sustainable,

I hope so!

Blueskighs

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:56 am

How nice to see you, Blue!

I am fully expecting that you will continue on after 6 months, and barely notice the "anniversary" has passed. Your habits are so solid by now!

I didn't know you'd lost your kitty - I'm sorry. That's the hardest part of having loving pets.

KCCC

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:59 pm

Hey, Blue!

I think you have "arrived"! I expect this is what you've been looking for all along and it is truly working for you. I think that's great and I say, "Good for you!"

And you are such an inspiration here at this website. I don't come here too often anymore, but I check in once in a while on my "old buddies" and it was good to see you'd been here recently. I am trudging along on my own path and it seems I am one of those that needs more structure than No-S. But, I think finding No-S helped me to be willing to learn more about myself again. So, I am still grateful to No-S and Reinhard and you for the efforts put in.
Jill

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:53 pm

KCCC

thank you for your kind words of encouragement! It will be watershed if HABIT sustains me beyond the "6 month" mark .... and it seems like it should ... ah well, before too long we will know :D

Jill,

thank you for your nice message. I thought that what you said about NO S helping you to be willing to learn more about yourself to be very profound!

I do feel like NO S is the "one for me" and am very happy i wish it was the one for everyone but we are all different. I am glad that you are continuing on your journey, it is nice to hear from you,

Blueskighs

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:06 pm

Day 163 9/3
SUCCESS

B: mixed grains, with 2 eggs scrambled in evoo (this breakfast has stuck, this is breakfast of champions :D quinoa, amaranth and buckwheat YUM, i eat it every N day now
L:organic free range turkey BLT GASP! yes, Apparently I am not vegan or even vegetarian anymore :(
D: organic yogurt with soy protien powder and MONAVIE call this concoction MV Pudding :D eat it OFTEN on N days for dinner

all in all a good food day, except lunch was AWFULLY LATE .. about 4:00! Oh well, some days are like that ... just keep my SIGG water bottle handy :D

Blueskighs