First day

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

medimimi2

First day

Post by medimimi2 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:00 pm

Wow, I just read about this in Women's World and I am fired up! I have got to lose a lot of weight or I am not going to be able to see my kids grow up! I am definitely an emotional eater, and have gained so much weight since my mom died a year ago. I am always in pain, tired, etc! I am so tired of being this way but could not find a plan that would work for me. I know I can do this, just need lots of support! Wish me luck, I had bacon for breakfast, only had sugary cereal otherwise. I am off and running, pray for me
I can do it, I am worth it

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:39 pm

Welcome!

I am a HUGE emotional eater but I have much more control over it now. One thing to know:

Eating will not change the way you feel (sad, angry, tired, bored, lonely, worried, anxious). Sure, you won't be thinking about your current situation while you're eating but once you're done with the last bite, the problem and feelings are still there PLUS now you can add guilt because you ate something that you know you really didn't need.

It's taken me months to learn this. Recently I had a very big fight with dh. NOrmally, I would take off and hit the drive throughs- big mac, fries, then the donuts/shakes to make me "feel better." Instead, I drove right past, did some thinking, calmed down and returned home to work out the problem.

This left me with some major clarity in my life, realizing that food will not change my problems, even if it does taste nice and help me stop thinking about my problems (only for those few bites).

It helped for me to be strict about sticking to the noS rules and forming those new habits. Realizing I wouldn't starve and yes I could have the crackers (my major binge food) with lunch and sweets on the weekends.

I keep telling others- get tough with the tummy toddler. It's ok to say "NO" to the urge to snack. And it's ok to be a little hungry sometimes. Hunger is not an emergency that must be avoided at all costs. I had to learn that plus that I wouldn't suffer and keel over at any moment if I went a few hours without food.

I wish you the best in your journey. Expect some setbacks, continue on through them, each day, each successful meal adds up- not just in a few pounds, but in emotional healing as well :)
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

viggie

Post by viggie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:25 pm

I just started too. I think I'll be able to do this. How late do you eat your dinner?

sweetsong32

Post by sweetsong32 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:29 pm

Medimimi, I too am a newbie and have a LOT of weight to lose. I too heard about this 'diet' in WW mag. And am very excited about it. Finally, something I think I can stick with.
I am trying hard to not let my focus be on how much I have to lose, but to just take it one day at a time.
Today was not too difficult. I think the hardest part was not eating while I was cooking. but I survived it.
Good luck!
Cant wait to see how you are doing :=)

viggie

Post by viggie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:00 pm

I know! I was fixing my grandson's plate and i tasted the chicken. But in my defense it couldn't be more than .3 oz's. I think tomorrow will be harder. I have appts.and I don't know how I'm going to work it,but I will. Btw I have more than 100lbs to lose and I'm over 50