Haganeedle check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

haganeedle

Haganeedle check-in

Post by haganeedle » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:20 pm

Day one was Monday April 7. Weigh-in at 170. Great day. I have been on many diets in the last 10 years and getting away from snacking is a little hard.

No exercise on day 1. Asthma is acting up.

Day two...April 8...Breakfast at 7:30 a.m. Oatmeal. Weigh-in at 169.5. I weigh in daily to keep me honest. It's the only way I can do it. I have tried going a week, but I just can't. This is my way of keeping myself in check.

haganeedle

Post by haganeedle » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:52 am

DAY 2 -- SUCCESS!!!
Breakfast @ 7 a.m. = Oatmeal
Lunch @ 12:30 = Sandwich on wheat bread, couple chips and a banana.
Supper @ 4:30 = Salad and a sandwich.

I can not eat breakfast that early in the morning. By 10 I could have eaten my arm off.

I had forgotten I had a meeting. It started at 6 p.m. These meetings usually last 3 to 4 hours. I was having a hard time trying to figure out to eat before or after. I was fighting with myself. Jeez woman just eat and get it over with. So I did. I was glad I ate before. I got home at 9 p.m. and wasn't hungry but wanted to snack. Luckily I talked myself out of it.

I quit smoking 1 year and 3 months ago and this reminds me of quitting smoking. I remember my first week all I could think about was smoking, week 2 got easier, week 3 little easier until finally you don't obsess anymore.

Wanting a snack is like quitting smoking. I want a snack, but am not really hungry. Just something to do. I replaced smoking with snacking.

haganeedle

Post by haganeedle » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:32 am

DAY 3--SUCCESS--169

I waited to have breakfast this time. I was more satisfied longer.

8:30 = Hot Pocket breakfast thing
1:00 = Turkey and cheese on wheat, natural applesauce, banana
6:30 = taco's

haganeedle

Post by haganeedle » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:34 am

DAY 4 = SUCCESS

I had a very late breakfast due to being really busy and not taking the time to stop and eat.

11:00 = Breakfast = lunch meat salad sandwich and cottage cheese
2:00 = Lunch = PBJ Sandwich
6:30 = Supper = Chili

I used my pedal bike for 25 minutes. It's a small pedal thing that sits on the floor. I layed on my back and pedaled while watching TV. At least I got some exercise in....

I won't say this is easy. I play a lot of mind games. I am finding out that I mostly ate out of boredom. I think I am hungry but really not. I just need something to do type thing.

haganeedle

Post by haganeedle » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:40 pm

DAY 5 Friday April 11, 2008SUCCESS

Breakfast @ 9:30 = Banana....I actually wasn't hungry and trying to eat just a banana was a challenge.

Lunch @ 12:30.....I was starving by then. I have to find a way to eat a better breakfast to hold me over to lunch.....

Supper @ 5:30...hamburger, cottage cheese and baked beans. It held me over until morning......

sweetsong32

Post by sweetsong32 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:42 pm

Congratulations on your first successful week!!!!

I just completed my first week too.
I am so loving this new way of eating!!! It really has been liberating.

haganeedle

Post by haganeedle » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:19 pm

Thank you sweetsong.........It has been quite liberating.......

Saturday April 12, 2008 DAY 6 SUCCESS

My first S-day. I was so excited. I had a soda and a candy bar.

Breakfast: egss and sausage

Snack: Reeses peanut butter cup and a Pepsi

Lunch: Meat salad on crackers

Supper: Potatoes, hamburger and pork N Beans

I am beginning to not feel hungry all the time.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:22 pm

Reeses peanut butter cup
oh my frozen mini peanut butter cups are one of my to die for treats.... in fact I have some planned for this afternoon !

So is there are story to your very interesting "handle" ... Haganeedle?
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

haganeedle

Post by haganeedle » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:44 pm

DAY 7--SUNDAY--SUCCESS
DAY 8--MONDAY--SUCCESS

Monday was my daughters birthday. I had a tiny piece of dairy queen icecream cake. Yummy.

hag is the first 3 letters of my last name.....needle is because I crochet and sew. I sell on ebay and came up with that name and just carry it over. My husbands nickname is SeaHag...remember the character off of popeye? Well, he doesn't actually look like that character, but thats where his nick came from....

haganeedle

Post by haganeedle » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:43 am

Day 9 Success

Breakfast = shredded wheat w/strawberries

Lunch = sandwich w/applesauce

Supper = stir fry

I ate breakfast around 9 a.m. and it held me over until my very late lunch at 2:00, which I thought my lunch would carry over longer, but by 5 I was starving. I almost slipped and started snacking but somehow managed to refrain.
This is getting easier. I am starting to be able to train my mind so that I don't want to snack.

I still need to add in more exercise. I don't do much in that department. Once the weather breaks maybe I will feel more like doing something. I don't have time to join a gym. I always have great intentions of walking in the mornings before work, but I can't get motivated enough. Just too tired in the mornings.

haganeedle

Post by haganeedle » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:33 am

DAY 10 AND 11 BOTH SUCCESS

haganeedle

Post by haganeedle » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:59 pm

Friday--Day 12--success

This is getting easier to do. Eating this way has really opened my eyes to a lot of things. I feel like I have had a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders.

I am trying so hard not to weigh myself everyday. I am doing good with that also.

My start weight was 170 and in 2 weeks I am down to 168. I will take that. I think I have lost several inches though because some jeans from last year I can now zip. I can't wear them comfortably but they at least zip. Well, I could wear them if I didn't sit down and need to breath. It as least makes me feel good.

I need to step up the exercise. I did exercise 2 times last week and thats better then normal.

Today is my S day and I'm not hungry right now....

haganeedle

Post by haganeedle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:30 am

DAY 13 AND 14 = S DAYS WERE SUCCESS

Monday Day 15 = success

I had a school board meeting last night and one of the cooks always brings us something really sweat and gooey.....I refrained. Is is cheating when you smell it? LOL....

Today is my sons birthday, so I will have a small piece of icecream cake.

haganeedle

Post by haganeedle » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:42 pm

Tuesday Day 16 -- SUCCESS

I am doing good. I have breakfast and lunch down pat. I am not hungry until around 5 p.m. On normal days I can start supper around then and eat by 6 or 6:30. A problem I am having at supper time is filling my plate extremely full and then wolfing it down in seconds. I am starving by then......I have got to slow down..

I measured myself because I felt my jeans were a little looser. I have lost 2" in my waist and hips. Yeah!!!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:07 am

haganeedle,

you are doing great,

Blueskighs

haganeedle

Post by haganeedle » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:45 pm

WEdnesday Day 17 -- success

Thank you blueskighs......

I had an awesome break through last night. My daughter came home from church last night and had red velvet cake that was left over. I stood there and looked at it and really, really wanted to eat a couple of pieces..............instead I got a container, put me one piece in and labled it "MOMS DO NOT TOUGH" and put it in the frig for Saturday. I was quite proud of myself...
No S start April 7, 2008 = 170 lbs.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:59 am

Haganeedle,

that sounds like a huge breakthrough YAY YOU!
I wouldn't be surprised if that piece of red velvet cake tastes most delicious this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blueskighs

haganeedle

Post by haganeedle » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:48 am

I can't wait to eat it. The kids have already devoured the rest of the cake. My 6 year old ask if she could have mine in the frig.....NO!!

Thursday, DAY 18 Success

I ate lunch early around 11:30 and by 1:30 I felt hungry, but really it was in my mind. I am finding out just how much I ate during the day. I really wasn't hungry I was bored. I had to fight with myself to refrain. I used to grazed all day long.

haganeedle

Post by haganeedle » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:45 pm

As I am standing on the scale this morning, I noticed I could see the scale without having to lean forward. I thought, my god where did my belly go. I still have a belly, but it's not as "swollen". I am 5'2", so any type of belly shows. But this morning I felt "skinny".

I have to lose weight, not because I feel like I am ugly or just need to be skinny, but for health reasons, mostly because I have asthma and when I get some excess weight off it makes it easier to breath.

With other diets I was on the weight would come off fast, but it got so boring and then I would cheat. The weight always came back too, plus some. How can people really fix the foods and seriously be happy with some of these diets. If I had a maid/cook I could stick with it. But since I am the maid/cook/taxi there is no way not with 4 kids and 4 different schedules.

I bought the WW magazine every week because every week there claimed to be yet another diet that would help you lose 20 lbs by summer or whatever. The last one I bought was about the no s diet and it's the ONLY one that didn't have this elaborate eating. It's the last magazine I have bought. This is something that can actually be done for life and with no regrets.

A couple of years ago me and my daughter wanted to lose weight for a special occasion. She lost weight I didn't. But thinking back I noticed she only ate 3 meals a day, while I ate exactly what she did but I snacked on the so called healthy stuff. Wish I could have seen that then.

haganeedle

Post by haganeedle » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:31 am

Friday Day 19 -- Success
Saturday Day 20 -- Success
Sunday Day 21 -- Success

I had my cake SAturday morning. I found that this weekend I didn't go overboard and actually forgot it was an S day.

I bought a pedometer to see how many steps I take in a day and see if it will motivate me to move more. Yesterday just being at home I walked a little over a mile.

haganeedle

Post by haganeedle » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:46 pm

Monday Day 22 -- Success

My clothes are fitting differently now. Not so tight. I can actually breath while sitting now.....LOL...

I must admit this is getting easier. I don't think about food constantly and am not as hungry as I was last week. My plates are not being piled as full either.