My Wellness checkin

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

DianeA2Z

My Wellness checkin

Post by DianeA2Z » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:27 pm

Day one. Great start to the day; took thyroid pill, waited over 1 hr. to eat. Took meds, ate homemade breakfast sammie, coffee and an orange. Will do Greenzymes and vitamins at 1pm and lunch somewhere around 2pm. OK I already know the no snacking part will be the most difficult in the evening. Maybe I should brush my teeth right after dinner. Gonna be difficult to give up the dark chocolate after dinner, but hey tomorrow is an "S" day (YAY for me for starting on a Friday) :wink:

Ate dinner and, ta-da! No Snacking after dinner. 1 Day in a Row!
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

DianeA2Z

Day 2

Post by DianeA2Z » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:35 am

First S-day, and I really enjoyed it. We had a chili-cook off at church tonight and my chili got the most votes. I got to have sweets today..oh joy. Day 2 completed and didn't overdo things, much to my surprise.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:20 pm

We had a chili-cook off at church tonight and my chili got the most votes.

HOW FUN!!!!!!!!!!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:45 pm

Yes, I'm still rather "chili proud" :lol: The Pastor took all the left-over chili on Saturday night and dumped it all together for what she then called "ecumenical chili" :lol:

Enjoyed two wonderful days with dark chocolate and baked goods, but much to my surprise I didn't totally go beserk.

I was kind of glad to get to an N day just to see how it goes. I had a bowl of high-fiber cereal w/ a small banana and milk for breakfast. Four hours later I was feeling a little shaky so I knew it was time for lunch. Made a 1 serving smoothie w/3 large fresh strawberries, 1/2 Tufelo mango, 1/4 c 1% milk and 4 oz. Dannon Activia strawberry yogurt, and 3 ice cubes. Had it with a small sandwich made with marble rye, 4 baby carrots and about 1/4 c homemade ham spread (no sweet pickles in it). That should hold me for at least another 4 hours.

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:52 pm

Day 3 completed. I find it's easier to be "aware" while No S-ing.

Day 4: Good beginning to day w/smoothie for breakfast. Lunch will be a grilled mahi mahi bowl from Rubio's.

I'm good about the No S habit; need to get better on the movement habit.

Note to Self: The bowl from Rubio's tastes awesome, but after checking the website for nutritional info I'm glad I had less than 300 calories for the smoothie, because together I'm just over 1000 calories for the day! Yikes. Not too bad, really, since I have one more meal to go that probably won't be over600 calories, I'm sure. Next time I go to Rubio's, a better choice will be the Health Mex Salad w/mahi mahi. Thank God I don't have to count the calories!!!!!!

Think I'll do the resistance bands DVD today for my "movement". I really like Reinhard's 14-minutes a day deal.

Well, I did a combined 20+ minutes on treadmill and elliptical. Then I had to go back and revisit my movement calendar 'cause I had some days I doubt I did a full 15 min. or more workout :oops: . Had to put some red blocks there. If I can't be accountable here, where can I be?????

Dinner was leftover pasta and meatballs (I made them last night) w/tossed salad and some red grapes. All fit on one plate...and not a humongous plate either. I feel really happy about today.

DianeA2Z

Day 6

Post by DianeA2Z » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:03 am

Day 6 and still can't quite believe this plan is so easy. I'm trying to stay off the scale because I really beat myself up when I don't like the numbers; I'm taking Reinhard's advice to heart!

I'm pausing, now, to enjoy each bite of every meal and trying to focus on only the food. I find that makes the meal more satisfying. Breakfast and lunch have been right on target.

I seem to have more energy today, so even though I'm not doing dedicated exercise, I've been cleaning, sorting, etc. (I'm still unpacking stuff from our move). At least I've been more active today!

Dinner: 1 plate Chinese and red grapes

Lots of water today. Night-time urge to snack is annoying; I hope it goes away! More water :roll:

DianeA2Z

Day 7

Post by DianeA2Z » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:58 am

WOW! I cannot believe a whole week has passed! On every other "diet" I was so conscious of time. The freedom of eating just 3 meals a day (one plate at each meal) is just so enormous.

Breakfast out this morning before donating platelets. Went to I-Hop and had 2 eggs basted, the 2 bacon and 2 sausage (it was so good and I'm not gonna apologize) and German Crepes rather than pancakes. The German Crepes had lemon butter on them, no sweetener.

Lunch: leftover Chinese. (other half of last night's dinner)

Dinner: roasted chicken breast, asparagus, potatoes, red grapes.

I can see the plate through my food! Pretty cool. Also, there must be something to using blue patterned dishes in that the blue kind of keeps your appetite down. Hmmmmm.....

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:16 pm

Wow, got so busy working yesterday forgot to check in!

Day #8. I actually keep improving!! I used the divided plate for dinner and it works great! The entire day was a success as far as NO S-ing goes. Failed the movement part again, however :oops:

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:06 pm

Today is Day 9 and my second S day. The best thing I did today was to do the exercise! Resistance cord workout on DVD. WOW, I'm soaking wet w/sweat and puffing, but feeling pretty happy with my saucy self.

Breakfast was limpa bread w/peanut butter and 1 slice Jarlsberg lite. Doesn't look like much, but it was very satisfying.

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:20 pm

Posting a day behind here. The best thing about my second S weekend is that I exercised both days. Saturday was a long day spent doing a lot of computer work and making phone calls for my business. Sunday I was just exhausted; that coupled w/fibromyalgia kept me pretty much immobile sleeping on and off until almost noon. Yikes! Overate breakfast (actually since I ate late it was more like two meals, so we'll call it brunch). Dinner was very reasonable and healthy and then I had to go and eat 4 organic peanut butter/chocolate chip cookies w/a glass of milk. One cookie (2 at most) would have been enough. Guilty of overkill here.

Thank God for Mondays!

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:50 am

This was a good Monday in every way but exercise. Only movement I got was some housework. I probably ate too little today, but not on purpose. I got all involved working this morning and didn't eat until noon. I did have a bowl of high fiber cereal w/milk and I had some sparkling blueberry juice.

I was out w/my husband and got home around 3, and had every intention of eating around 3:30 but got caught up in trying to get my wireless router hooked up so I can use my laptop. I can't get it hooked up right and forgot to eat until 5:00 when I had the p-nut butter bread and milk.

Dinner was turkey vegetable soup (about 2 cups) w/ some oyster crackers in it and red seedless grapes.

Now I'm hungry because of the skewed meals and if I have to, I'll have some cherry Kefir.

DianeA2Z

Day 16

Post by DianeA2Z » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:35 pm

Goodness, I didn't realize I hadn't done a "check-in" since Monday.

Well, today is day 16. Amazing! I can't believe I've been doing this so successfully. I've been getting caught up in the various threads and haven't taken time to focus on checking in.

I like my idea about green=go, red=stop the bad behavior and yellow=S day but proceed with caution. I love the color red and never associate it with "failure". To me red is a "power" color.

I have more energy, find it easier to keep a more sensible sleep schedule and really have more fun cooking. Still battling the night-time snack urge, but so far so good. Soon that will be a habit too.

Fantastic chicken w/apricots and almonds for dinner last night, leaving lots of leftovers. YUM.

OH WOW! What a fun S day! I ate a normal breakfast and lunch. For dinner we had a fabulous chocolate dessert tray for 2 at my new favorite Eclipse Chocolat Cafe. There was a selection of 4 single servings of desserts (ALL with chocolate) so we shared each serving. We had dessert first, then I had a smoothie from Paradise Yogurt for dinner. YUM

Today is an S day and I'm planning to have some rice pudding, possibly some chocolate, and perhaps a cookie...not necessarily on the same day, but if I want it, it's ok.

DianeA2Z

Day 17

Post by DianeA2Z » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:42 pm

Another fun S day! Before church I had one slice of Cinnabon bread w/1 tbsp p-nut butter along with my coffee and vitamins, etc.

After church we went out for breakfast to Ricky's where they make the best "baked" omelettes ever. Each one is made w/3 eggs and you get fried potatoes with them. I had a bacon-sausage-cheese w/salsa. Ate 1/2 of it and brought the rest home. That was more like brunch.

Dinner will be leftovers (a normal plate) and chocolate brownies from Eclipse for dessert. No night snacking desired on S days!

Started wearing Earth sandals. Wonder if they really do help burn more calories.

Well, Fred had to go back into work for a little bit. I heard the siren call of that cupcake from Eclipse. I put it on a pretty blue and white plate, cut it into quarters and sat down with a glass of milk to enjoy my treat. It was awesome! I have never in my life enjoyed a cupcake more!!! That turned out be lunch, cause he came home, we went to the grocery store, put the food away and went fishing around 5:30 or so. We didn't leave the pier until well after 8:00 and didn't eat dinner (from L&L Hawaiian BBQ) until almost 9 pm. Had our brownies for dessert. (only ate 1/2 of my dinner).

DianeA2Z

Monday, day 18

Post by DianeA2Z » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:45 pm

Hello Monday! I don't mind Mondays anymore! I feel like every weekend is a celebration of sorts because they're S days. And I'm really particular about what I eat on S days. If I'm going to have a sweet (I still don't have seconds, and rarely snack on S days), I make sure it's a top quality sweet. No way am I going to eat junky treats. On Monday morning, I feel "restored" and ready for another NO S week. I cannot believe how amazing this is!!

Day 18. Never has a diet gone by so fast. Time for breakfast (it's late). Where's my leftover omelette....

Well, this afternoon we got a really unsuspected and horrible surprise: hubby got laid off. No warning, just "economics", and the person they kept as manager has absolutely NO experience in the industry except for what he's learned the past 3 months w/company. It never fails, either corporate America or a small business owner is gonna screw you over. That's why we're now building our own business full-time. (No employees, so no one to screw over).

Surprisingly, I stayed on habit. Kind of ate a fuller plate, but no seconds, snacks or sweets....I refuse to let those bastards affect my health. :cry:

DianeA2Z

Days 19 and 20

Post by DianeA2Z » Thu May 01, 2008 12:20 am

Tuesday: got exercise and stayed on "Habit". Still acclimating to our new situation. Feels so weird to not have hubby working.

Wednesday: Did errands. Breakfast and lunch both "green".

DianeA2Z

May 1 and May 2

Post by DianeA2Z » Sat May 03, 2008 1:54 am

Wow, I cannot believe how fast time is flying! Yesterday we got everything moved into a larger storage unit. Little stiff this morning, but it's a good feeling. Today I finally had a little time to learn how to use my new sewing machine! Then it was computer work for our business. Honestly, I could probably hang on the computer 'round the clock. Not good.

Let's see, doing very well with No S; regularly using smaller sized dishes and eating more whole fresh fruits. Eating more salads as well. This is the only way I want to eat forever.

DianeA2Z

28 Days on Habit

Post by DianeA2Z » Fri May 09, 2008 5:14 am

Wow! Just completed day 28 on habit. I don't remember ever remaining on a "structured" eating plan for 28 straight days prior to No S.

I'm not sure how much weight I've lost, and I don't know if I should want to know. Today when I went to give blood my BP was 131/67. That's the lowest it's been (on medication) since I was in the hospital in January following surgery. I know I have more energy and that my fibromyalgia symptoms are not as bad. So, even if I haven't lost much weight, I believe I am in better health overall. It's enough of a change to make me want to continue with this plan!

DianeA2Z

Day 29

Post by DianeA2Z » Sat May 10, 2008 5:51 am

Another day on-habit! No exercise today...I spent most of the day working on the computer, so my fingers have been doing all the walking.

Getting lots more fiber, fruit and veggies and not because I have to but because I really want to. So far have only had S days on weekends but will add one on our anniversary on May 21. Can't decide what special treat I want for my upcoming S days. Pretty much only add back sweets on those days and stay w/single plates and no snacks.

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Sun May 11, 2008 12:13 am

Day 30

An S day! Bagels for breakfast! (two this time, I'm getting better :oops: )

Baked oatmeal w/fruit for lunch and then a "treat"/pre-dinner snack... a slice of strawberry-rhubarb pie. Not so balanced, but oh so good!

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Thu May 15, 2008 2:06 am

Am having a very painful and tiring day today because of fibro (big weather change). What is so amazing to me is that I don't use a flare-up as an excuse to deviate from the No S plan.

Am going to see an acupuncturist for fibro and HBP.

I feel so free because No S is now my normal way to eat.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu May 15, 2008 3:38 am

I feel so free because No S is now my normal way to eat.
Diane A2Z,

that is so good ....

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey