Me On a Diet

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

resting52

Me On a Diet

Post by resting52 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Like so many, I bought the magazine, then the book and now this is day 5. How wonderful to have simple guidelines. Out with dh last night and DIDN'T do dessert. Also, have carried chocolate around in my car since last Monday when I found this plan and not had the first nibble. Will have a piece today to enjoy my first S day.

Resting52

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:03 pm

Cool for you!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:30 pm

okay okay okay. Now I need to read more about S days. Was up a couple of pounds this morning after "enjoying" my first Saturday. I've read enough to know I'm not supposed to weigh all the time, but realistically it is hard not to. Maybe No S should stand for No Scale!

Still didn't eat nearly as much as I thought I might be tempted to. YaHoo!

Resting52

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:29 pm

Maybe No S should stand for No Scale!
Clever!!!!!!! or maybe we could at least extend Reinhard's "don't be an idiot" for S days to the Scale! You are right it is hard not to sometimes. Probably though over time that gets easier too?

I don't know, mebbe ....

Blueskighs

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:24 am

Now have to recover from my S days. Actually looking forward to having the fence around me. After doing Weight Watchers for so long, this first weekend was more freedom than I chose to use in a healthy way. I ate so much that I didn't even enjoy it. Will do more strategy for my next S days. Actually today is a family birthday. My plan is to do an N day and just add cake. I know this will make it an S day but way healthier than my last 2. Hmmmm.

Resting52

deealison

Post by deealison » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:53 pm

I decided to weigh only Sat. mornings, before I enjoy S days.

Beckycan

Post by Beckycan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:40 pm

deealison, that sounds like a great idea. I tend to get discouraged if the scale doesn't reward me for my work, so weighing BEFORE I do my S days will be a more positive experience until I learn to control myself on S days.

Heck, this is day 1 -- I have to learn to control myself on NoS days for the next 5... :wink:

Becky
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

A turtle travels only when he sticks his neck out. Korean Proverb

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:09 am

deealison and Becky,

That sounds like a great idea. I wonder if I could MAKE myself not weigh until Saturday morning.

By the way, although this was a daughter's birthday, and I'd planned to make it an S day, she ended up going out with friends and I ended up heading downtown with her cake and strawberries for her crowd to enjoy. I ended up with an N day and they all think I'm the best mom ever. Win win!

Resting52

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:29 pm

Well, now it has been a solid week and I get to do all my HabitCal in the pretty colors. It is a real incentive to paint those N days green. So far, so good-but got pretty hungry yesterday.

Resting52

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:51 pm

Resting52, it sounds like you've gotten a great start! I have finished the book, and while I don't obsess about food, I'm actually enjoying planning what to eat at breakfast, lunch and dinner. I give it more nutritional consideration now, even more than when I've dieted in the past. And I'm really focusing on enjoying every mouthful.

Lilly, your posts about mindful eating have really hit home; thanks so much for telling us about that book.

Beckycan, did you post to SparkPeople? I used to "talk" to someone called Beckycan on those boards. Since I moved to San Diego I've not changed my info. Guess I need to do that :oops:

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

Beckycan

Post by Beckycan » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:08 am

Hi, Diane,
I was wondering if that was Diane from Sparkpeople! I have not posted there for awhile. I found myself feeling frustrated because I couldn't keep up with the topics there, and my "all or nothing" mindset just couldn't handle it. :wink:

Have you read Mr. Engel's book? I just read about this in Woman's World. It sounded like something I could live with forever, unlike most diets I've tried. Today's Day 3 for me.

Becky
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:19 am

Becky! How are you???

Hey, Girl! Gee it's nice to "see" you again :D I know what you mean about keeping up with the topics and I'm just like you with the mindset. Then dh got transferred and I was w/o a 'puter for some months, we moved (finally), then the holidays and then I had surgery in January. It's been kinda nutz. One of these days I'm gonna check up on some of those SP :D

I'm so glad I learned about No S, and "yes" I've read the book. Buy it, it's so worthwhile. The website is great, but being able to take the book with you when you need a "booster shot" is very comforting. Plus, for once I'm not feeling guilty or worrying about what my food is gonna do to my weight. I really liked SP, but I was spending so many hours a day just trying to keep up w/all the posts :oops: . Well, Becks, I'm really glad to see you here. Everyone here has been very welcoming and nice, and someone is usually around to help you out with a question, etc. I'm looking forward to "seeing" you some more!

((((Becky))))

Diane

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:59 pm

Put this same post on General Discussion Board

Had my first Red day yesterday and didn't even want to admit it to myself until this morning.

Went to a covered dish meeting with good friends and took about a 2 tablespoon second helping of egg salad. I didn't even want it, but the lady that made the salad was sitting next to me. In my mind I was thinking, "This will make her feel good about her dish if I take seconds." Where did that come from? Why didn't I just say, "Your egg salad is delicious. I'd love the recipe." Why did I think my eating would make her happy? I'd already planned all the responses to not having a chocolate chip cookie for dessert. Guess what? Nobody noticed or questioned my skipping the cookies.

Well, this "failure" has been very instructive for me. Anyone relate?

Resting52

Beckycan

Post by Beckycan » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:54 pm

Good to "see you" too Diane. I had my gallbladder removed the week before Christmas and --guess what-- not getting sick everytime I eat has helped me to put on at least 10 lbs. just since the surgery! :oops:

I will plan on getting the book after I get paid next week.

Becky
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:51 pm

YIPEE, another green day. Am tending to really enjoy my food. For example, had an entire taco salad last night.

Planning to plan my next 2 days of S instead of grazing like a mad cow.

Becky, Diane, how funny that you met again here at NOS!

Resting52

Beckycan

Post by Beckycan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:57 am

Hooray for you, Resting52! I had a red day today. Went to Chinese buffet with my daughter and her 4 kids, then shopping together, then came home and ate all kinds of S things this evening. :cry:

I think I may make tomorrow an N day since I already had an S day today.

Becky
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:02 am

Becky and Resting52...I keep having red exercise days :oops:

I have these great intentions, and then I get all wrapped up in working on the computer and before I know it 4 hours or more are gone. I really need to do the exercise before I start work. <sigh> Well, tomorrow is another day.

Diane

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:46 pm

Hey All, Hey Becky, Hey Diane,

I know in the book it says not to trade S days for N days because then you have given yourself permission to take that option. He says it is better to keep the days as a failure, learn from your mistakes, and move on. I like that.

I think the same way about exercise. I HAVE to walk the poochies every morning or at least let them out. I may miss 3 days a month not walking. I'm thankful that they are demanding, plus I'm very thankful that we live by a wonderful paved path. Basically the same folks are out everyday, which adds to the social aspect, plus I get plenty of fresh air and sunshine!

Here is my second set of S days. I've not lost any weight BUT I did lose the extra 4 pounds I gained by way over eating my last weekend. Now I've realized that I can eat pretty enormous, delicious meals 3 times a day and not gain weight. I know it takes time to settle into this and not panic about not getting enough to eat. How funny because I know I could fast for 3 months and still live off "the fat of the land-aka my body".

So-my plan for the next 2 days is to cut in 1/2 the amount I've been putting on my plate ,knowing that I can go back for seconds if I wish. Also trying to think of what I would really like as my treat tonight. Sweets have kind of lost their big appeal-that is SO weird.

Here's to experimenting!
Resting52

Beckycan

Post by Beckycan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:25 pm

resting52 wrote: I know in the book it says not to trade S days for N days because then you have given yourself permission to take that option. He says it is better to keep the days as a failure, learn from your mistakes, and move on. I like that.
Now, that makes sense. I know my eating will be wierd today and tomorrow because I am working night shift (10 pm to 6 am) tonight.
Rather than punish myself for overeating yesterday (*diet mentality*) I will focus my attention on today.

Becky
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:21 pm

Becky and Resting52, I like your attitudes!! :wink: Isn't it great that we're not doing this alone? And isn't it great that we keep making improvements in our performance? Reinhard say this would happen (in the book), but knowing how I am I wasn't sure it would be true for me. Yet, hooray, it is!

Diane

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:03 pm

Still looking at a much calmer and less stuffed weekend compared to last weekend. Yesterday after work I went to an incredible French pastry shop with one of my daughters. We picked out 4 amazing desserts and made fresh coffee. I enjoyed bites of each which still totaled less than one dessert. What a wonderful and guilt free treat!

Today I had another nibble or two of the leftovers and am planning on maybe some popcorn tonight.

Amazed that I'm not starving or stuffing!

Resting52

Beckycan

Post by Beckycan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:11 am

Sounds good. I have kind of eaten my way through the day today...I slept about 3 hours this morning after I got home from work, and then hubby had dinner cooked. I got up to eat and have been putting food in my mouth practically all day. Guess because I am tired -- hope I can sleep tonight. (Hard to keep my sleep regular with a night shift thrown in here and there.)

Becky
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:27 pm

Hey Becky,

I did more mindless-or should I say purposeful overeating yesterday than Saturday. Still I'm down 3 pounds from last Monday. But to put that in perspective I was UP 2-1/2 pounds last Monday from my starting weight. I was just thrilled to get on the scales today and NOT have gained at all over the weekend. Need to fully grasp the fact that having the freedom equates with not abusing the freedom.

Was thinking as I was walking the dogs this morning, next weekend I will take 1/2 a bowl of popcorn and reevaluate. I can always have another if I really want it, and skip that second dish of chocolate ice cream since it really wasn't much fun to eat any way. Am learning.........slowly.

Still rejoicing at not counting points.

Resting52

Beckycan

Post by Beckycan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:01 pm

That's great Resting52! Sounds like you're doing well.

Have a great day today!

Becky
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:42 pm

Well gals, I just had my second S weekend. I pretty much stuck w/3 meals except for 1 oz of almonds between lunch and dinner on Saturday. In fact, I probably didn't eat enough on Saturday because we got Thai food for dinner and I had a portion of each of the 3 entrees. The good news is that between the 2 of us we only ate 1/2 of the food. For dessert I had a small quantity of dark chocolate that I'd been hoarding from Easter. I did a resistance band workout on Sat. afternoon, and let me tell you even following the beginner routine was quite a workout! My muscles hurt on Sunday.

Sunday I didn't eat anything until about noon or so, and then I ate 3 bagels. (They were soooo fresh! And they are a big weakness of mine.) I had jalapeno salsa cream cheese on one, p-nut butter on one and butter on the third. I kept the "schmears" light, but still....3 bagels???? To my credit, I didn't eat anything else until about 4:30 (in between walked for about 20 minutes) and then I had a bowl of really healthy Mexican soup (a friend took us out for dinner) and a couple tastes of my husband's machaca and a couple bites of our friends beef dinner. We shared desserts of flan and rice pudding. Fred went fishing and on the way home from the pier we stopped at the market for some groceries and I bought one small bag of organic peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. There were 12 in the bag and I ate 4 with a glass of milk. That was a dumb thing because truth be told I really would have been satisfied with just one cookie. I'm sorry I ate all 4 of them, but now I know I won't make that mistake again.

Thank goodness for Monday! I'm right back "on the wagon" and glad to be there. I have plenty of healthy choices for all my meals all week.

This weekend I ate what now seems like a lot for me; in the past, what I ate over the weekend would have been considered "light". At least I'm making progress and the bagels are going into the freezer and dh can eat them this week. He knows how to control his food impulses :lol: I'm just happy to be No S-ing it again. I can't believe I'm not only pleased to be back on track, I'm actually relieved. That's wierd!

Diane

Beckycan

Post by Beckycan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:19 pm

Hi Diane,
I put some bagels in the freezer at my house too. Not because the bagels were tempting me so much as the mixed berry whipped cream cheese I was putting on them all weekend!

Naving a good N day today -- so far. Had oatmeal with dried cranberries for breakfast; fish, rice and corn for lunch. I have class this afternoon, so supper will be late and I'll have to guard against grabbing a snack as soon as I walk in the door! Plan to get a free iced coffee at McDonalds on the way to school -- sugar-free of course.

Becky
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:24 pm

Becky, good for you!!!! I'm about to stop posting for breakfast: high fiber cereal w/milk. I'm really glad to be back to Monday. Never thought I'd feel that way. In the past I used to hate getting back on track eating-wise. Boy I'm glad times have changed!

Don't forget to drink a big glass of cold water (or two) when you get back from class before you get dinner. That will help until you can get dinner on your plate. Also, if you can drink unsweetened iced tea, that helps as well.

I'm proud of you Becky! You're right on track.

Hugs,
Diane

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:04 pm

so encouraging to do this in a group!!

Well, I had a real victory yesterday. Went with dh to the coast to look at a little, and I mean really little, sailboat (something I've never done-sailing) and we stayed in a lovely bed and breakfast. There beside the bed was a Godiva chocolate. All I could think of was that I wasn't going to let that little square of chocolate keep me from getting a green day on my HabitCal. What a treat to get home a bit ago and mark that day GREEN. The Godiva is in my purse waiting for the weekend.

I agree about the weekend stuffing thing. 3 bagels sounds pretty familiar to me. One of my consistently worst times was always right after I would weigh in with whatever program I was on. If I weighed in Thursday mornings then I guarantee you that I ate the entire rest of the day whether I was even a tiny bit hungry or not. Now that I don't have the weekly pressure I also don't have the weekly "stuff my face" time.

Yipee!!!

Resting52

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:07 am

Oh my gosh, Resting, I used to do exactly the same thing on "weigh in days"! How funny! I'm glad I wasn't the only one to have done that. And now look at you with a Godiva chocolate for the weekend...that will probably taste even better on an S day. Keep up the good work

Diane

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:28 pm

Now I'm a complete week on habit on my habitcal. I guess I'm an obsessive weigher. There is a scale to hop on first thing in the morning. My weight has gone up and down but is actually about the same since I started.

But, no fear, I'm thrilled with NoS.

I've eaten stuff in the last 3 weeks that I've either not eaten for years, or only eaten with a huge side order of guilt. This beats the socks off all the counting and weighing and measuring food and substituting awful chemically altered alternatives to regular food. Have you ever looked at the ingredients in fat-free half and half??? Scary!

I AM RESTING in this truth!

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:57 pm

After saying that about the weighing yesterday, I was down significantly this morning. Well cheers to NOT dieting and losing weight.

Out for sushi with one daughter last night. Ate stuff I would never dream of eating before because it would be too hard to count the points.

Tonight out with dear friends-a once a month get together. I've already been told that there is cherry pie on the menu-one lady is fixing dinner for all of us. I'm NOT going to make this an S day since the weekend is just ahead. Again, I tell myself, folks don't really care what I put in my mouth. I'm the one that makes it a big deal.

Spent this day off putting in the vegetable garden. It is a huge amount of work but we certainly enjoy the produce. It's great exercise as well.

Leaving for the beach for a couple of days and actually have to celebrate a birthday down there on Monday. Wonder if I can get by without eating the cake. I still haven't told dear husband what I'm doing and don't plan to yet. SO, I may just have to go with the dessert (it is HIS mother's birthday) but plan to eat the NoS way the rest of the day.

Resting

Tink

Post by Tink » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:19 pm

Hey Resting *CONGRATULATIONS * I love this way of life and hope to be posting of a weight loss soon(even though i know i shouldn't obsess cuz i do feel alot better!) :D

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:33 pm

It's funny how things work out. I was worried about NOT having pie with my friends and then NO one had pie-so, no issue there.

I was worried about going to the beach and having today be an S day after the weekend. Well, I messed up my back putting in the veggie garden so we will just call my mother-in-law and sing, "Happy Birthday!" to her. The issues became non-issues.

Instead, I get to go out tonight for dinner with most, if not all, of my co-workers so we can spend time with one facing radical cancer surgery. Then we will head to the store for an inservice. What a treat to be with everyone at once.

Added a new S to my HabitCal today=NoScale. I realized that as long as I weigh myself everyday, I'm dieting. Guess I will try to check it once a month. Of course that is easy to say today when it is Day #1.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:20 pm

After all that planning and then NOT having to celebrate, I still had a red day yesterday. Again, it didn't even cross my mind when it happened. I guess I thought I was doing a virtual plating or something. Out with friends with the unlimited salad and bread thing going on. I, again being the food police, took seconds on the salad and made sure it was passed around. Why do I assume, when we are all grown ladies-most near or past 50, that I have to be the one to make sure everyone is well fed.

Well, here's to another lesson learned.

We did later get 5 fabulous desserts to share and I didn't have a bite.

Learning is so stretching. I love this.

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:17 pm

resting52,

I love the way you put that, learning IS so stretching and yeah it feels wonderful,

Blueskighs

Tink

Post by Tink » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:50 pm

Hey Resting,
The bright spot here is you didn't have a bite of dessert,that's willpower; and i noticed you said you went another day without weighing *high fives* :D

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:16 pm

Yesterday was the closest I've come to deliberately making it a red day. The other slips were done subconsciously-only realizing later what I'd done. This time it was a real effort not to stick something in my mouth.

In the past I would have just crammed, reaching for a seratonin high to relieve my stress.

What stopped me was that I had put a gate on that behavior. I had to choose to either open that gate or keep it shut.

I'm not saying it was easy. It was not. But just the fact that I had to MAKE that choice, allowed me NOT to make it.

So success! How wonderful!

Resting

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:19 pm

Congratulations. You're doing great.

Tink

Post by Tink » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:07 pm

good job! :)

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu May 01, 2008 3:00 am

resting52,

how wonderful!

Blueskighs

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri May 02, 2008 12:17 am

Wednesday was a success as far as NoS goes. Less stressed at work-I truly love my job so it usually isn't an issue.

I'm still see me overloading my plate but not stacking it high. This morning left at least 1/3 of my yogurt and musli because I was just too full. That was kind of weird. Eating a lot more fruit and green stuff and enjoying it.

Thinking about this entire process and the desire to be set free from the big 'D' (aka diet) and about weighing in, etc., the best part is in just letting it all go. I mean, I want to live life as if I'm no longer on a diet of any kind. I want to apologize to my daughters, and anyone else I might have influenced in the diet area, for leading them into this same evil prison.

Of course I do want to be healthy and part of that would entail being slim. But no more tricks or gimmicks. I don't see NoS as either. It is just a simple and wise lifestyle.

Thanks, NoS, and thanks to all of you encouraging me.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri May 02, 2008 5:32 pm

Thursday was a busy day at work and then a restful evening at home. Still saw too much on my plate-really need to work on that.

Today after doing all kinds of yard work, I finally ate for the first time around 1:00. After plating a lovely mixture of chicken, olives, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and wild rice, and with a green salad and an organic apple, I was able to get through about 1/4 of my plate before I was plenty full......

And, miracle of miracles.........I stopped eating!

Resting :D

Tink

Post by Tink » Sat May 03, 2008 12:20 pm

You ROCK!!!!! :D
A creature of habit; the No S habit!!!!

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sat May 03, 2008 12:38 pm

Thanks, Tink,

I finished the plate later on (as another meal)

The rest of the day I chilled by finishing a lovely lap robe I've been knitting-they pray over them at my MIL's church and then give them away to folks going through difficult times. It's part of their prayer shawl ministry. I love to knit because it allows me to be creative and it keeps my hands out of my mouth!

:lol:

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun May 04, 2008 1:50 pm

Down at the beach enjoying the weather. Need to mow here too for my MIL. Skipped walking today because I left the poochies at home with dh, but will make up for it by walking the beach and mowing.

Interesting time in my life with the lowered desire for sweets-like I keep seeing on other posts. Also noticed yesterday, thinking all the time about how the reins are off and I MAY have anything I want because it's an 'S' day, I just didn't want anything.

The weirdness continues.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon May 05, 2008 1:05 pm

Did the mowing, walked the beach. Waiting for low tide today to get out there again for a long one before the drive back home.

Celebrated the MIL birthday thing yesterday which since it was a Sunday didn't have to take an extra S day. Ate moderately much of the day. Did have icecream as well as the birthday pie. Still it was guilt free and enjoyable.

I'm glad to get back to Monday. Not weighing is scary. I feel like I'm missing my moorings or something. Will post on the NoScale as well

Just read Proverbs 27:7 "A satisfied soul loathes the honeycomb. To a hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet." I certainly relate. Here's to seeking that satisfied soul instead of stuffing a hungry soul.

Resting :idea:

Beckycan

Post by Beckycan » Mon May 05, 2008 2:59 pm

Were you on the Outer Banks? I have 2 cousins who live at Southern Shores -- I love the beaches on teh Outer Banks -- the prettiest beach I've ever visited. (Compared to FL beaches and VA, where I grew up.) Usually go during Off-season.

Becky
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

Tink

Post by Tink » Mon May 05, 2008 3:19 pm

Resting i have noticed when nothing is forbidden, nothing calls my name! :lol:

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:02 pm

Yes, Becky,
We're blessed to have a MIL who has a place at the beach. My kids have grown up getting to go down there. My favorite activity is picking up shark's teeth and I got some amazing ones yesterday!

Tink, You said, " i have noticed when nothing is forbidden, nothing calls my name! " That is so true! This NotDiet has taken away food's power over me. Well, maybe not completely, but mostly.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed May 07, 2008 2:34 pm

Okay, this is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last evening had coffee at a new place down the way from our store. The owner just added some new fudge like brownies-tiny muffin size. Well, he brought 2 over and asked us to please try them and tell him what we thought. My mind really worked quickly on this to decide what to do. It was a simple request, and I complied. For me, I'm still counting it as a Green day because this was not a case of me slipping up or deliberately deciding to go off habit. I didn't even want the thing-it was delicious and I told him so.

I'm so thankful that there was not even a part of me that wanted the thing. It was like telling someone what color I liked or which shoes or any other choice. It was almost non-food.

Starting new HabitCal today called NoStuffing. I'm ready to start getting a little hungry between meals. I know as long as I'm overloading my plates and never particularly hungry, I'm probably eating enough to maintain or increase my weight.

Resting

Beckycan

Post by Beckycan » Wed May 07, 2008 8:44 pm

You're doing great. The Proverb on your signature line is sure truthful!

Becky
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu May 08, 2008 12:52 pm

Thanks Becky,

Wed was SUCCESS. Ate late and didn't particularly hungry. Trying to just stay on habit. I like NOT making choices.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri May 09, 2008 2:50 pm

Thursday was green but just barely

It was definitely my worst day yet. Maybe this is because I'm cutting back on my portions and trying to make my plate look like what I would want it to be if the world was watching me eat.

I was so hungry after dinner-roast pork, fresh salad greens from the garden, grapes, brocolli, and a small baked potato=definitely a plate FULL, that I almost caved. Don't know why I was so hungry when the day before I was so NOT.

Still, that little green square is my goal.

I'm just going to assume I lost 10 pounds yesterday!! Another benefit to not weighing :lol: LOL

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon May 12, 2008 6:49 pm

Went to the beach with friends for the weekend. Decided to take Friday as a special day since we just do this group once a year. Even then, barely ate anything special. Chose to not overeat both weekend days.

My Mother's Day treat after getting home was to head to Trader Joe's with one of my daughters, for veggie chips and hummus, good soft cheese, chocolate covered pretzels, and wine.

We SNACKED and watched First Wives Club. DH fixed amazing dinner. Left food on my plate so I would have room for cheese cake and strawberries. Didn't eat all of that either!

How wonderful to leave the clean-your-plate-club behind and just enjoy my food.

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue May 13, 2008 4:57 am

Resting,

sounds like a truly beautiful weekend and mother's day,
what a way to enjoy living,

Blueskighs

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue May 13, 2008 12:55 pm

Thanks, Blue,

My Monday went well. Out with friends for bagel breakfast, leftovers for lunch after lots of work transplanting flowers, weeding, and thinning the veggie plants, yogurt and muslix and fruit for dinner.

Back to work!

SUCCESS!

Resting

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Tue May 13, 2008 5:06 pm

resting...I don't really do gardening...as I tend to have a black thumb..lol All I do are 3 flower hanging baskets & 3 pots at the front of the house and 2 pots in the backyard. So once I plant something in the pots...I generally just have to remember to water everything.

Keep up the good work. :)
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:23 pm

Success

Muslix and fruit for breakfast
Grilled chicken sandwich with veggies for lunch
Baked potato, orange, and lettuce out of the garden for dinner

Ate dinner at around 6:30 and in the past I would have gone for more food later. Again enjoying having the NoS gates around my behavior. Really want that 21 club status.

Off to mow and dig and shop and knit and cook on my day off.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:46 pm

btw today makes day 15 on habit! Woo Hoo! 6 to go.

resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu May 15, 2008 1:12 pm

Breakfast- scramble with peppers, onions, garlic, ham and potatoes, and fresh mango on the side
Lunch-popcorn and a diet coke at movie with dd
Dinner-feta, pine nuts, basil pasta, stir fried asparagus, bread, fresh mango and grapefruit-dd fixed.

SUCCESS! Today is day 16!

Resting

Tink

Post by Tink » Fri May 16, 2008 12:06 pm

Hey Resting, you are doing awesome!!!! I like how say you will just assume you lost 10 pounds, I am loving not having my self esteem tied to numbers on a scale :D

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:47 pm

Thanks, Tink

Today is day 21 I'm determined to make it through the next 6 hours on habit-actually shouldn't be too hard. Then I'm definitely signing up for the 21 day club. Woo Hoo!

Last 2 days spent in the hospital with a dear friend so that her husband could be home with their kids. Haven't had much sleep. Didn't eat much S food even though it was the weekend. After all, I was in a hospital-yuk.

Still amazed that I sat in the room last night, looking at the bag of peanuts and M&Ms, knowing I could legally snarf them and choosing with no effort at all to, "Just Say No!"

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon May 19, 2008 11:17 pm

Resting,

can I be first to CONGRATULATE you say YOOHOO!

throw you an online Party! :D for 21 days

what a dear friend you are staying with your friend last night in the hospital!
Still amazed that I sat in the room last night, looking at the bag of peanuts and M&Ms, knowing I could legally snarf them and choosing with no effort at all to, "Just Say No!"
i think concrete examples of change in behaviors like this on No S are so inspiring! So glad you are here!

Blueskighs

Tink

Post by Tink » Tue May 20, 2008 11:39 am

YIPPEE 21 DAYS!!!!! Congratulations Resting :D
I agree with Blueskighs, what a wonderful friend you are staying with your friend in the hospital *hugs*

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed May 21, 2008 12:58 am

Thank you, all of you, for all the encouragement.

Today, which should be happy, has been horrendous.

The good thing is that where as ordinarily I would have eaten the piano out of sheer frustration and anger, instead I'm on habit.

God, get me through this mess.

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed May 21, 2008 4:05 am

Ouchh!

Sending hugs,

Blueskighs

Tink

Post by Tink » Wed May 21, 2008 3:35 pm

{{{{Resting}}}}

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed May 21, 2008 4:09 pm

Thanks for the hugs. Really, thanks.

Baby daughter flew in from the other side of the world today-so good to have her home for a while.

Things are always better after a good night's sleep, prayer, and just time.

Still having SUCCESS!

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu May 22, 2008 1:39 pm

let's see-

B: Bojangles biscuit-on the way to airport
L: Leftover roast, fresh garden greens, mango salad
D: celebration! Roast, greens, sourdough garlic toast, fresh corn on the cob

Ate one fancy pecan foisted on my by a daughter's boyfriend. I don't count this as a snack. I ate one to be polite instead of weird. "No, I can't try this thing you really want me to try because it is a snack!"

SUCCESS!!!

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri May 23, 2008 12:16 pm

Cool eating day

B Muslix and leftover mango salad
L Chicken, avocado soft taco
D Chicken tenders-haven't fixed these since baby daughter left the country, brie and jam in pastry, strawberries and pear, gorgonzola cheese, and walnut salad over fresh garden greens. Thrilled about how easy the brie thing was!

SUCCESS

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri May 23, 2008 12:19 pm

Note to Me

Today is day 46 and I've had 2 red days in there.

Resting in this freedom

Tink

Post by Tink » Fri May 23, 2008 3:01 pm

You've had 44 green days YIPPEE!!!!! :D

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri May 23, 2008 3:21 pm

YES RESTING,
I am with Tink ...

44 green days!

Yay!

Blueskighs

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon May 26, 2008 1:07 pm

A fairly sweet weekend. Did finish off the icecream purchased weeks ago-just read the discussion about using plastic wrap to keep off the ice crystals-pretty nifty!

Last night I stood in front of my food cabinet in the kitchen-the one with the chips and nuts and cereal and such-knowing full well that I could have anything I wanted. Guess what? I didn't want anything. Just shut the cupboard and walked away. Actually did that several times over the weekend. Amusing. Amazing.

Still no scaling. May weigh around the first. Not sure yet. Even if I haven't lost an ounce, I'll still be thrilled. Why? Because I was gaining doing a half hearted Weight Watchers and feeling guilty all the time. Now I'm free.

Woo Hoo!
Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue May 27, 2008 1:34 am

Happy Memorial Day-if that is the right expression. Actually, thoughtful Memorial Day would seem more appropriate. Remembering those that died for our freedoms. Thank you.

This Monday has NOT been a vacation. Spend most of the morning and some of the afternoon spending way too much money on inventory, returned one and picked up another den chair, lunch out with baby girl, grocery store to pick up stuff for cook out, dinner with the family plus one. I said, "No thanks," to the Skinny Cow popsicles for dessert. Want to keep this day what it is:

Success

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue May 27, 2008 2:24 am

I'm closing out this daily check-in and heading on out with Resting On A Journey.

Thanks to all that are on the ride

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue May 27, 2008 5:09 am

Resting,

this has been a good thread!

Look forward to keeping up with Resting on a Journey!

Blueskighs