What Lola Wants.......Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lola628

What Lola Wants.......Daily Check-in

Post by lola628 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:27 am

I've been S-ing for about a week now and I love it! I haven't been snacking during the week which I am now finding out has been my major weakness. I assumed since I was eating healthy snacks this was okay. Whenever the diet gurus discuss "grazing" I want to scream.

Saturday - My first S day
B - egg sandwich, cappuccino
S - chocolate bagel w/ cream cheese from Panera
L - mac n cheese (I NEVER EAT THIS CRAP, but it's a food I've been avoiding for years - literally.)
D - nachos, root beer float (float was gross, I hate root beer. Nachos were too salty, why am I eating crap??) tootsie roll, caramels
No exercise, stayed in and watched Steve Martin films -- OINK, and "The Philadelphia Story" - what a great movie!

Sunday (all crapped out from yesterday, so I'm back on the wagon)
B - spelt flakes, greek yogurt, banana, black tea
L - half a grilled chicken sandwich with tomato soup, black tea
D - grilled white fish, asparagus, mixed greens salad, a few almonds

okay, now i feel so much better eating better food..... Went for a long walk after dinner.
Last edited by lola628 on Fri May 02, 2008 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:27 am

Go Lola!

I blew both my first S days although I know that technically you can't blow them. Good for you to "wise up" after one. I'm going to read the S chapter again before next week.
Resting52

lola628

Post by lola628 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:52 am

Thanks Resting52!

I like how the S days teach us good habits and allow us to eat the stuff we normally wouldn't. It's like I got that mac n cheese out of my system, so now it's okay to eat healthy. I also know there are healthier versions of mac n cheese, but MY version was of the store bought plastic cheese variety.

I feel so much better having structure. It is very freeing!

deealison

Post by deealison » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:00 pm

I found myself doing the same thing! I would choose foods that I had avoided, and then realized that I didn't want them that much. The 2nd piece of pie was too sweet yesterday. Good thing I'm sick of it because I've got M-F to go.

lola628

Post by lola628 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:51 am

Dee - what kind of pie?!

Monday's Menu:

B - spelt flakes, greek yogurt, banana, black tea
L - gyro, glass of lowfatmilk
D - grilled swiss cheese on brown rice bread, banana w/ pb and sunflower seeds, glass of lowfat

No snacks, no sweet, no seconds

lola628

Post by lola628 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:40 am

Tuesday

B - two eggs, slice of rye toast, coffee
L - Spinach taco salad, black iced tea
D - pasta w/ turkey meatballs and salad, black iced tea

No sweet, no seconds, no snacks

deealison

Post by deealison » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:58 pm

Lemon meringue-Edward's brand. I'm hoping that my girls will eat the last piece today. I really haven't been tempted by it. I'll probably decide on Friday what special treat I should have on S days. Good luck to you, Lola

lola628

Post by lola628 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:10 am

Thank you Dee! Good luck to you too! Today was rough!!

B - spelt flakes w/ greek yogurt and a splash of soy milk, black tea
L - two eggs on a toasted english muffin, coffee
D - Taco salad, iced black tea

I've been big on taco salad this week. I had a very stressful job interview today. When I got home tonight I was very hungry and craving sweets. Before No S I would have eaten a package of nuts or cereal or maybe candy, I even looked at snacks at the store and thought "NO - wait until the weekend."

So it's 8pm and I'm in bed so I won't eat. I"m tired anyway, so I should just go to sleep.....oh guess what. I'm getting a massage at Hershey Spa tomorrow.......they have bowls of Hershey Kisses all over the place AND they serve coffee and tea and these amazing chocolate muffins and it's Thursday No S!!!! I tried to get an appt for Saturday but they are booked solid. I hope I can avoid the chocy muffin. They do have a healthy muffin alteranitve that I call the "tree bark muffin" but those are so gross.....

I wonder if my will power will be strong enough to avoid chocy muffin!!!

lola628

Post by lola628 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:37 am

no chocy muffin!! I went to Hershey Spa today and was surrounded by huge bowls of Hershey kisses and I did not eat one -- despite the fact that there is an S in SPA - which means perhaps I could have an S, but I behaved and drank ice water all day plus some tea and coffee (sans sugar, of course.) I abhor sweetened tea and coffee. If anything I put a little cream in my coffee.

Today's Menu

B - two eggs w/ rye toast
L - tomato soup and half of a turkey sandwich
D - small tuna sub

I got back from the spa rather late so I picked up a quick sandwich at a local pizza place. It was ok.....but in retrospect I would have been better off with a salad -- I'm not getting enough veggies.

lola628

Post by lola628 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:23 pm

Friday's Menu

B - spelt flakes w/ greek yogurt, whole grain english w/ pb and black tea
L - half of a turkey/provolone sandwich
D - the other half of the turkey / provolone sandwich

This is where it gets ugly, I didn't eat enough during the day so I was ravenous at the movies at night. Ate popcorn and later choc ice cream. Obviously I should learn my lesson about not eating enough during the day, but I just wasn't that hungry. It was difficult just to eat half a sand.

Saturday

B - two eggs, rye toast, coffee and scrapple w/ syrup
L - spicy chix sand w/ ff and ice cream float
D - pretzels, pb crackers and milk (oink)

Sunday -

B = Asiago bagel w/ cc and a cappuccino
L - one egg, plus one egg white scrambled w/ multi-grain english muffin, black tea
S - sunflower seeds
D - baked potato, bowl of chili, iced tea

Eidted to add meals
Last edited by lola628 on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lola628

Post by lola628 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:49 pm

I flew to Amsterdam last night, I read the habiits section of No S Diet on the plane, it makes such perfect sense.

They are six hours ahead here, it's almost 2am now, my body is so confused....

Yesterdays menu

B - cereal, toasted enlish muffin black tea
L - cheese burger and an Amstel light - do you know how long it's been since I had a burger and a beer??? Over a year, it tasted so GOOD!
D - airplane food, ordered a special low sodium meal, it was fantastic! Gilled chicken, rice, brocoli and 3 slivers of apple with a sliver of cheese. Call me a freak, but NWA has good airplane food.....considering it's on a plane. I didn't eat snacks during the flight but drank one glass of wine.

Then.......today (yesterday) I don't know what day it is.....

B - was sleeping, didn't eat
L - tuna salad, cappuccino
D - My boyfriend made us a veggie stir fry with cous cous, drank water

My boyfriend is a tall skinny Dutchman, I told him about my No S diet. He said "well I only eat candy on days that end in Y!" (Dutch people are crazy, did you know that?) I brought him 2 bags of Swedish Fish because they are his favorite and they don't sell them here. He ate a bag while we watched a movie. I used to eat a few along with him and they'd make me sick, now I don't eat have to eat them, what a relief. I mean, they taste good in my mouth, but then when they hit my stomach it's just gross.

lola628

2 am in the Netherlands.....

Post by lola628 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:13 am

my jet lag is fierce.....)

b - multi-toast w/ pb and banana, cappuccino
l - omlete w/ multi-bagel, cappuccino
d- (I cooked!) - pasta w/ spinach and egg....two glasses of red wine

My tolerance level is pretty low, so i was plastered....

still it was a success!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:59 am

Lola,

Your life is such an adventure! thank you for taking us along.
so you are in amsterdam ... and how does No S work on the road?

you did great at the Hershey Spa ... geez I would have been so disappointed that they didn't get me in on Saturday! :)

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

lola628

No S on the road -- easy peasy!!

Post by lola628 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:57 am

Hi Blue! No S on the road is fantastic (unless the menu is written in Dutch and I can't understand it.) Kip is chicken and Kaas is cheese and salade is salad.....I have no idea what the other words are but with No S it's hard to fail on the road!

My boyfriend is a professor here so I've been venturing out on my own a lot during the day. Then we cook at night or eat salad. He's a pescetarian but he's not anit-meat or anything so if I eat tika chicken marsala he doesn't freak out.

Today I'm going to wander around and see if I can find him a yoga mat and a coat stand, then I'm having drinks with him and his colleagues after classes end. I can't rave about this plan enough, when I did low carb I was SO miserable and of course when I traveled nothing worked except boring chicken salad, I got so tired of that. That isn't LIVING.

There is a dessert here called chocolat bal. (Bossche bol)
It looks like this:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bossche_bol
I have it all planned out, I told Hans 'we're having the chocolat ball on Saturday w/ cappuccino.' He said "we can go have one now if you want.........oh wait, today doesn't start with an S...." He's catching on!

lola628

Post by lola628 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:53 am

Here's more on the Bossche Bol (Dutch chocolate ball) -- that last link was in Dutch -- I've been trying to learn Dutch, it's a very difficult language - but here are more links if anyone is interested. I'm going to walk over to this Jan de Groot bakery today....

http://www.inspirelight.net/?p=874

OR

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stregoika/379723279/

OR

http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/ ... ssche_bol/

lola628

Post by lola628 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:46 pm

B - museli, yogurt, cappuccino, banana, satsuma
L - salmon w/ cream cheese on baguette, small cappuccino
D - lobster / shrimp soup, small salad w/ chicken, red wine and a few Belgian fries w/ mayo

i'm still jet lagging......but starting to feel a little better....

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:28 am

What are Belgian fries???

That chocolate thing certainly looks S worthy!

What a joy to NoS around the world without counting points or portions, only plates! Thank you for sharing all this with us landlocked Americans.

Resting

lola628

Post by lola628 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:24 am

Hi Resting! Thanks for your mail. It is a joy to NoS around here!

Belgian fries are amazing! They are like french fries but instead of being fried once, they are fried twice so they are extra crispy on the outside but tender on the inside. They are served with really thick mayonnaise. This mayo is not 'normal' mayo. If you try to spoon it onto your plate you can't, it sticks to the spoon forever.....so you must smear it onto your plate. A few bites of both the fries and the mayo and you're quite full!

I can't wait for Saturday to eat my bossche bol and cappuccino. That thing defines SSSSS I believe I will have it for lunch instead of normal food because it looks gigantic!

lola628

Post by lola628 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:23 pm

B - 1 slice of multi-toast w/ pb and banana, cappuccino, oj
L - grilled ham/cheese on baugette, cappuccino
D - green salad, w/ brown rice and peanut satay, one orange, water, black tea

I went to a birthday party tongiht, didn't eat any cake but had a glass of red wine, one cashew and a small sliver of salmon on a cracker.....

I don't usually drink oj or eat oranges but I have a bad cold now, so i'm upping the vit C. I'm also trying to eat more fruit and veg.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:40 am

Lola,

that sounds like so much fun! how romantic it all is. It is great to hear that NoSing works so well and is fun on the road.

That Bossche bol ... wow looks divine! and with a capuccino no less!

Let us know how they are, we will live vicariously!

Blue

lola628

Post by lola628 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:12 pm

Hi Blue - I just had the Bossche Bol and it was fantastic! It's a light and lightly sweetened whipped cream in the center that is surrounded by pastry ball and covered in chocolate. Hans said Jan de Groot makes the best in the city because you can actually slice thru it with a knife. You can tell the "bad" Bossche Bol if they collapse when you try to cut into them. Definitely an S treat......I'm thinking it's my new favorite dessert!

Today's Menu:

B - museli w/ yogurt and banana, 1 slice mulit-toast w/ pb, cappuccino
L - very small green salad, handful of nuts, Bossche Bal and cappuccino
D - a few spicey chips, veggie pizza, red wine, a few more nuts

Here is a photo of Bossche Bol and a cappuccino:
http://sneeuwflock.punt.nl/upload/Bossche_Bol.jpg

and this is what the inside looks like --
http://static.zooomr.com/images/2752191_52a5b533bd.jpg

edited to add the dinner meal

lola628

Post by lola628 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:46 pm

No S day

Visited the Open Air Museum, Arnhem, Netherlands

B - museli, yogurt, 1/2 slice of multi-toast, cappuccino, banana
L - Croquet, french fries w/ mayo, cappuccino
SNACK - split a Bounty bar with my BF
D- Indonesian dish w/ shrimp, chicken and rice noodles, water

Teeny tiny piece of Thai cake w/ 2 cups of black tea

lola628

Post by lola628 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:27 am

B - banana w/ pb, 2 slices of multi-toast w/ cheese, cappuccino
L - small bowl of museli w/ yogurt, orange, black tea, a few nuts
D - a typical Dutch meal -- boiled potatos, green beans, hard boiled egg, 2 glasses of red wine, pear compote on the potato (we made the compote w/ a little bit of honey instead of sugar, it was fantastic!

I also ate a few nuts and spicey chips right before dinner, but I considered in virtual plating.....it was only a few......

lola628

Post by lola628 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:33 pm

B - 2 slices multi-toast w/ Emanthaler (Swiss kind, not the French), cappuccino
L - roasted turkey and avocado on multi- bagel, 2 sm cappuccinos
D - whole wheat penne pasta w/ tomato sauce, salad, red wine

We rode bike all day long. Went to Vught Concentration Camp, then the Jeroen Bosch Museum. Both places were incredible!

My legs are very tired!

lola628

check in from the Netherlands

Post by lola628 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:07 pm

B - 2 eggs, 2 slices multi-toast w/ a Emanthaler cheese, cappuccino
L - Dutch pancake w/ tomato, onion, mushroom and pineapple, cappuccino
D - omelete, FF, banana w/ pb and an orange, black tea

Rode 20 miles on our bikes today, then walked around a medieval village. I'm tired.

lola628

Post by lola628 » Fri May 02, 2008 12:59 am

National Holiday in the Netherlands.......ugh.......... Ok, yesterday was Queen's Day and then today was some other National holiday (Ascension? -- not sure, I'm a protestant) but I didn't make yesterday an S day, but today I did......and I don't think it went well at all.

This afternoon we had BF's family over and they were eating Bossche Bollen (I didn't, I drank coffee) well, we didn't have a proper lunch prepared and then we walked to the festival and by that time I was getting crabby because I hadn't eaten so we stopped for Croquet (they were rotten!) but I was hungry so i ate a little over half, then I had a Vietnamese spring roll (it was deep fried and gross), then they ate ice ceam (i didn't) then they had waffles w/ a little syrup, I had three bites, it was fantastic....then we came home and I drank a beer and ate a few crisps (Ketle chips), made tomato soup, then ate a big bowl of Penne, more crisps, then ate a banana with peanut butter. Today was a flop, but it could have been a lot worse........ but now ti's 3 am and I'm wide awake because my intestines are in an uproar over the damn spicy croquet -- I feel so sick. If I had eaten a proper lunch none of this would have happened, I am so irritated right now. It's difficult to make a proper meal when everyone around you is snacking and eating garbage......I can't control the goup, but then i feel strange saying "Let's eat proper food".....i don't know.....

B- 2 slices multi-toast, pb, cheese, cappuccino
L - 2 cappuccinos --- at festival, 2/3 croquet sandwich, spring roll, 3 bites waffle
D - beer, crisps, penne, banana w/ pb, black tea

I overate at dinner time because I was ravenous. I know if I don't eat a decent lunch suppertime is murder. I have also discovered that if I eat anything outside of my three regular meals I get major stomach problems and feel like a bloated cow.

I feel so sick from the croquet, my intestines are screaming. Sorry this is a book!!

lola628

Post by lola628 » Fri May 02, 2008 1:30 am

and another thing (regarding the post above....)

In the festival / holiday type situation it can be especially gruesome for me when I know I'm hungry and my blood sugar is all wonky and I'm feeling irritable -- but then to walk about the festival that has unhealthy food, it's like I sample things and cannot saite my hunger. Try this, no, bleck, try this, no, bleck, try this, no, bleck. When it's all over I'm crabbier than ever and feeling sick.

Gee, I've just consumed a bazillion calories of crap, made myself half sick trying to find food that will satisfy my hunger and just not accomplishing it -- why am i so obsessed with this topic at 3:30 am?

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri May 02, 2008 3:57 am

Lola,

I posted on the other thread but I hear you ... it is pretty much just an awful situation when you are starving and there is REALLY just nothing decent around to eat!

Blueskighs

lola628

Post by lola628 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:55 pm

Blue, I guess I must plan ahead for these things better!!

My BF and I biked about 30 miles again today! It was a lot of fun!

B- small bowl museli w/ greek yogurt, 1 slice of multi-toast w/ cheese, cappuccino
L - eggs sunny side up w/ cheese and bread (Dutch style), cappuccino, small green salad
D - Indonesian rice w/ chicken / peanut satay sauce, black tea

lola628

S- Day

Post by lola628 » Sat May 03, 2008 3:46 pm

B - small bowl of museli w/ greek yogurt, 1 slice of multi-toast w/ pb, cappuccino
S - very small bar of Green & Black's dark organic chocolate, four small Holland mints
L - pastrami sandwich w/ pine nuts and parmesan, Iced tea
S - small Dutch chocolate coookie, 1 small piece (bite size) of cote d'azur candy, vanilla ice cream cone -- bloody hell!!!
D - mushroom pizza, water, black tea

It looks like I ate a massive amount of food today, but the sweets I had were all tiny, I know it still adds up though..... I'm just glad it was all quality type snacks -- Green & Black's dark chocolate is just fantastic, it was the 70% cocoa mini-bar of chocolate. Just enough for a treat.

lola628

Post by lola628 » Sun May 04, 2008 3:56 pm

bloody hell, i'm plastered...... i had two glasses of white wine on an empty stomach, it's now almost.......6pm........ ugh........today's menu

today is Pilgrim's Day in Holland, another National holiday....where you walk a long way to the church ----- kind of like a Dutch Lourdes, if you will....

B - tuna melt, 2 cappuccino
L - bossche bal, crab salad, cole slaw and crackers
2 glasses of wine.........oh, and kettle chips.......ugh.........

I believe the above items may equal.......12,000 calories, but who knows. I must go for a walk now, perhaps sober up a bit.....

I really need to stop eating bread, why do the Dutch eat so much damn bread? I can't wait to get back to the US where we don't eat so much bread, although I'll really really really really miss my BF.

lola628

Monday

Post by lola628 » Mon May 05, 2008 4:08 pm

FAILURE ------

slept in really late, then had egg omlette w/ multi-grain bagel, cappuccino

L -toasted cheese w/ tomato, iced tea (from bottle that was already sweetened.) Then we visited a Dutch Sweet shop and bought candy for my nephews, I ate a chocolate curly wurly, then had some droste dark chocolate and nuts --------aw crap - looks like a red day. This is the first day (and last day) of my vacation in the Netherlands where a screwed up this diet - (I fly back to the US tomorrow) :(

We're going out to dinner tonight (my treat) since it's my last evening here. In a way I'm proud that I stayed the course for the entire two weeks, but my last day was a bust, I'm very sad about leaving.....

lola628

Traveling.......is hell

Post by lola628 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:54 pm

okay,......it took me 20 hours of non-stop travel to get home yesterday - I'm so tired I'm hallucinating and eating everything but the kitchen sink -- my body doesn't know what day or time it is yet..... confused about which meal I should be eating....ugh!!!

Got home at 1 am, then woke up at 6am this morning..... (which is actually noon time in Holland)
B - two eggs w/ rye toast and coffee
L - doritos, Greek salad -- I felt nauseous after that
D - three perogies, nut mix, pop-tart (WTF? Have I lost my mind?),.....iced tea and a cereal bar.....okay, now I'm stapling my lips together......

Yesterday was in transit I will try to capture what I ate on the road.....(this is gonna get ugly.....)

B - cappuccino, multi-toast w/ Emmanthaler in Holland, then on the train a
L - banana smoothie, droste chocolate (a few pieces)
D - chicken nuggets w/ ff and mayo in the airport, I was so HUNGRY!!
D (three hours later....dinner (?) again on the plane) - DISGUSTING cous cous w/ mystery meat, small dish of fruit, corn ----??? Coffee and a ginger ale because of my upset stomach, water
L (what the hell time is it -- I'm going nuts......) a weird water chestnut sandwich....who concocted this thing?? Give up now.

then I took two trains after the airport, drank lemonade and a beer with my friends -- passed out......okay, enough with the travel / jet lag excuses, this girl is back on the No S wagon tomrrow. Got it? Good!! And damn it, before this past Monday I had been doing so well!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu May 08, 2008 12:41 am

welcome back stateside girl!!!!!!!

sounds like you had a fabulous trip and a lot of fun ...
are you getting your sleep? jet lag can be vicious ...
for me TIRED = EATING

Blueskighs

lola628

Post by lola628 » Fri May 09, 2008 11:28 am

Thanks Blue! It's great to be back...... I can't believe the jet lag, I've been really nauseous since I got home. My BF told me to eat more carbs to get over it (great.....like I need more carbs) -- I'm thinking perhaps I caught a bug or something, this isn't what usually happens to me when I travel.....

Your spinach avocado dip looks amazing!!