135 Goal Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Amyliz

135 Goal Check-in

Post by Amyliz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:06 pm

Starting a new check-in for those of us at 145-150 trying to get 135 (give or take)!

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:10 pm

hey, today is going very well ... considering its 'pie of the month' day in my office and its sitting 6ft from me!!

i knew this day was coming, and i thought about it when i started No-s 'what will i do when the pie of the month comes?!'
i thought about just letting it be an S-day /special day BUT now that its here, i'm trying to just ignore it and stay on my N-days!

luckily its chocolate pecan, not my favorite.

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:26 pm

Hello everyone, found my way here to our new daily check in thread.

Doing good so far this week other than I had 3 drinks last night with some friends rather than my "glass ceiling" two. But I am trying to not be too hard on myself about that... Still better than what I was eating before I started No S.

Are we going to have a certain day or days where we weigh in? Or just keep each other accountable for our successes and failures..?

Excited to get to know all of you :D

~Suzy
"Whew, glad I knew about beets. They would have killed me for sure."

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:48 pm

Hey Suzy, that could be interesting. but i'm trying to avoid the scale for a while

but we could do a scheduled weigh in may 1st, and then every two weeks after that? what do you all think?

the glass ceiling system is not one i've adopted. i try to limit my drinks to two since I read about the glass ceiling, but its not so easy when you're out from 10pm to 2am-3am most weekends ...

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:38 pm

Yeah, I am trying to not feel like I failed because I had three drinks. That would be stupid because I am doing so good.

I am up for a May 1st weigh in. I haven't weighed since starting either and I want to give it some time....

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:50 pm

drinks aren't really part of No-s . . at least as far as i understand.
but they are typically not recommended on any diet. So I guess i should be attempting to do the glass ceiling, for the sake of weight loss as well.

Jamiebf

Hi everyone

Post by Jamiebf » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:25 am

Hi all, I am more over weight than that. I would like to be 140 so I have about 30 35 to loose. I am on day 16 and loving the freedom from obsessing.

Hey Suzy don't worry about the three drinks, next time you'll do better.

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:00 am

Hey Jamie, glad you joined in!!!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:46 pm

DAY 13

Hello all!

Yesterday was both a SUCCESS and a FAILURE.

Breakfast: Cereal
Lunch: Soup
Dinner: Two pieces of pizza
DRINKS: Lots of water, a couple cups of tea (no creamer) and a 1/2 mug of joe.

BUT it was our weekly Wednesday get-together with (one) of my sisters and my mom. Mom bought a cake. We're all on diets and trying to be good and I felt bad that no one was going to have some of the cake she brought, so we split a small piece. So in that sense it was a "failure."

BUT I'm SO proud of myself that I only had two pieces of pizza. I almost wanted more. Mom only had two, so if she can do it I can! (Well, she's only 132 lbs, so it's not that much of a stretch, but still!!). No more splitting large pizzas w/my fiance. I want to get into my old habits of only one or two slices.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:35 pm

hey all
yesterday was an interesting dinner b/c i was out with a friend and we just ordered a cheese plate with bread and some fries. i wanted a 'real meal' but it was an expensive place so i just stuck with sharing the smaller food.

I didn't eat anything else, and it wasn't the most satisfying meal, but at least i didn't break the snacks and seconds rules!

in other news, i got sucked into the temptation of weighing myself this morning at the gym. BIG mistake, i haven't lost a pound, and i've even gone up a few (157 with shoes) BUT i'm not going to think about it again today, and keep focusing on building the habits! I know its probably just water etc, but i'm really terrified of gaining any more weight!

feel free to remind me how pointless the scale is!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:40 pm

Ooooh always, always weigh yourself first thing in the morning naked and after relieving yourself, if you really want to weigh yourself.

And I only weigh myself when I think I've lost weight, haha. It's like you can tell intuitively and don't really need the scale anyways.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:27 pm

you're right, i should probably do that. I don't own a scale, but the next time i do weigh myself i'll do it before my morning workout, and before i start drinking water!

thanks

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:09 pm

OMG someone put out a dozen Dunkin' Donuts on the buffet at work... good kinds too! They're like ten steps away from me... It's taking all the strength I can muster not to eat one! Good thing I'm in my cube and have my back toward them. I just had to look at them, though.

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:29 pm

Hi, all -- I spent several hours this afternoon weeding and noticed how much more energy I have after nearly two weeks on No S. I usually hate garden work but enjoyed the blossoming trees, the natural exercise (as opposed to driving six miles to go to the gym) and loved not obsessing about a binge. I think that a May 1 weigh-in sounds like a great idea --

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:04 pm

Hello all, doing good today. had my second meal really really late so now it's only been about 1 1/2 hours and I am going to eat my last one because I know I will be starving later if I don't!

I am really scared too that I will be the ONE person who will gain weight on this diet. That's why I haven't weighed. I do feel a bit smaller, but not much.

It's only been 11 days though and this is the longest i have stuck to any diet in a long long time and I feel so good about myself. I don't care if I only lose a 1/2 pound a week, this is how I want to eat for the rest of my life. For me it's sooo easy and enjoyable. I think that's why I am afraid I won't lose weight, because diets are usually PAINFUL and this one isn't!!!

Hope everyone is having a good No-S day!

AmyLiz, forget the weigh in today and stay focused on good habits. We are in this for the long haul. The temptation of weighing is really getting the best of me too though!
:wink:

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:45 pm

PS -- I forgot to add that I used my hoe as a shovelglove. I got so carried away that I am feeling (in a good way) every lateral muscle in my back and shoulders!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:11 pm

Flipturn---the gardening sounds like it was fun! Be careful shovelgloving (well, hoeing..) because I heard people overexert themselves. But it's just a hoe, so never mind.

Suzy--Just feeling good is such a good thing!!! I love my self-esteem on this diet too because you feel good actually sticking to something. 1/2 lb a week is good enough. Slow & steady.

As for me, I had a pretty successful day yesterday. I did not succumb to the Dunkin Donuts. I did go out to eat w/people from work and had a piece of bread and bruchetta before my dinner, but I'm not counting it as a failure. I was starved and got the small option for my meal (you got to pick from small and big).

And I did weigh myself today.... I was just so curious.... It said 144 then 145, so I'm gonna say 145! :) 5 lbs to go

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:24 pm

Nichole, that's great!!!! I guess you have to hug Reinhard now!!! I am so tempted to weigh.... But not today, I already ate and that time of the month is coming any day. not a good time...

Good job resisting the Dunkin Donuts.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:35 pm

yes, everyone seems to be doing so well! results will come with time, the change in attitude and outlook is so worth it!

i don't count eating bread or appetizers AT a meal a snack. Thats what virtual plating is for. i eat out a lot, so i've gotten pretty good at sizing up how much space things take up on a plate.

When I went out for chinese food last week, we ordered family style. i filled my plate, ate it all and was completely satisfied! it was funny to watch my friends take a small amount, but then go back for more, and more. between the 3 of them, they finished all the food at the table. but i just had my ONE full plate.
it was very gratifying, and like Reinhard says, no one even noticed i was doing anything differently!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:40 pm

Nossuzy wrote:Nichole, that's great!!!! I guess you have to hug Reinhard now!!! I am so tempted to weigh.... But not today, I already ate and that time of the month is coming any day. not a good time...

Good job resisting the Dunkin Donuts.
Oh I totally forgot to mention that I'm supposed to get mine tomorrow or the day after and I gained nothing during PMS leading up to it! That's a first. I think it's all the water I drink. And resisting those donuts was a huge challenge.

AmyLiz wrote:i don't count eating bread or appetizers AT a meal a snack. Thats what virtual plating is for.
Hmmmmm, well I didn't virtual plate, but like I said, I had a small plate. Who knows?
Last edited by Nichole on Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:46 pm

I actually read in my fitness magazine that your body burns 300 extra calories a day the week before your period but most women eat much more than that in junk the week before your period so it doesn't help in the weight loss department..

Since we can't snack or eat junk during the week on this diet we can take advantage of this!

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:51 pm

oooh very interesting ...
i usually feel bloated the week b/f my period - but that is also the week i rationalize the most snacking! who taught us that women NEED chocolate? I feel like someone must have snuck that in there along the way ...

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:17 pm

I think I may get myself a donut from Dunkin Donuts tommorrow, since the freebies have me thinking about them. My fav is the all chocolate-cake-like ones.

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:57 pm

Nichole -- Great news about not giving in to the DD siren! I was invited to my husband's client's office for lunch and was pretty sure that I would find a way to make it work. It was a turkey sandwich on multi-grain bread, so that was perfect. Driving home I felt full enough that an old thought returned. We all know it, the "I ate more than I should have, I feel full, now I've blown it and have to have a binge and make myself suffer." But then I reminded myself that my new way of eating is to 'enjoy' enough to make it through until the next meal. I know that I can do that, and we can support each other.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:45 am

So it's 8:42 pm and I did pretty well today.

FOOD:
Cereal
Soup
Veggie pizza

EXERCISE:
40 min brisk walk outside

Except I guess it's a failure because I ate a cookie. I was just so hungry and I was about to take my walk and they were there so I ate one :(. Oh well.

Good job not bingeing when you got home! :)

I don't know if anyone is from PA or NJ, but I think I might get some Preston & Steve Gadzooks ice cream tomorrow. Mmmmm.

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:08 pm

How is everyone doing so far?? I think so far I am eating a little less this S weekend than last. I had made that pineapple cake last night and took it to work so that was breakfast. Lunch was chicken noodle soup and some fries (I had been craving those this week but thought they were more of an S day item). Not sure on dinner. I feel really bloated though and I am starting to get a little scared that I won't lose weight doing this, or maybe I am still eating too much. I just need to be patient.... I think I want to try eating a bit healther during my N day meals. I feel like I had too many fattening items this week during my 3 meals. I just don't want to feel deprived either though because that's what makes me quit.

Happy S day everyone!
Suzy

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:16 am

Ok, I got home from work after working 13 hours and proceeded to eat everything in sight and now I feel really guilty and sick!!! Pretty much everything in sight I just ate because I was tired and stressed and I knew I could have the junk, it being an S-day and all...... I know this takes time, but I think I am really going to have problems on S day!!!!!! The N-days are so cut and dry that I have no room to over do it.

Help! :shock:

Jamiebf

No worries

Post by Jamiebf » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:47 am

Hi Suzy,
Remember, we are tring to undo years of bad habits. That is what this plan is all about. NO BEATING yourself up. Sdays are there for a reason. I too feel I could make better choices on my ndays and I may try that. However all my breakfasts on ndays have been healthy, my lunches sometimes are good and dinner is half and half so I am better than I use to be and I keep telling myself. If I had not started the nos way of eating 19 days ago I would be at least 2 to 5 pound heavier than I am now. So I am better off. Be good to yourself, you are doing great. This may not be fast weight loss but it is better than weight gain and hateing ourselves for failling.

You're doing great!!

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:14 pm

Hi, Suzy -- You know what Scarlett O'Hara said about tomorrow . . . You had a bad day, and now it is over. I am sure that it had something to do with that 13-hour day. Hope things go better today and this week.

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:59 pm

well, Sunday was definitely not much better but the depressing part is that I don't think I enjoyed any of the crap I let myself have. In fact, it was almost gross but I kept eating it anyway. Just handfuls of M&M's, twizzlers, chips.. Gross!!! Next weekend I am doing things TOTALLY different.

Here is my plan:

Stick to my 3 meals but let myself have one really decadent dessert and one snack. The dessert has to be something super enjoyable, not your run of the mill candy or crap. And, I don't want it to be something where I will have leftovers around the house tempting me to graze all weekend. Like maybe going out for a really good sundae or piece of cake after dinner.... And having some popcorn with a movie on Saturday.. Also, all of my meals need to be on a plate and eaten sitting at the table. i have found a lot of my problem on the weekends is just constantly grazing, eating straight out of the packages and I don't even enjoy it then and I WAY overeat. Mindless, totally not enjoyable eating.

Same thing for Sunday.

This out of control feeling sucks even though I know I am not supposed to feel bad about it. I know we are not supposed to restrict ourselves on S-day, but what is the point when you are not even enjoying yourself!

Any thoughts?

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:15 pm

The important thing is that you keep trying. I understand not enjoying your treats. It feels wrong, I guess. Your plan sounds good. I went out and got some specialty ice cream and ate half a pint one day and the other half the next day. That's not a lot of ice cream, but it was GOOD! :)

I went to Friendly's yesterday and just could not bring myself to having a sundae, since I had my half a pint earlier that day. I remembered how the night before I tried on all my dresses and they all fit again and that was motivation I needed not to have a sundae. That and I was stuffed and knew it would make me feel nasty.

My main problem in S Days is dehydration. I dont drink nearly as much as I do on weekdays. I refill my water bottle about 8 times a day Mon thru Fri. On the weekends, I use a glass and don't refill nearly as much. Maybe two glasses or so. That usually results in a lb or two gain of water weight.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:28 pm

hey Suzy - don't stress about the S-days - that is what they're there for - to make your N-days more realistic.
Nichole - i'm a fan of ice cream on s-days. its definitly my favorite sweet and i've been enjoying it so much more now

this past weekend was my 3rd S-weekend - and it was SO much better than the two before. sunday was 21 days on habit, and i didn't have a single failure!
I had a big social day on Saturday, and there were snacks everywhere. normally i would have just eaten and eaten, and even though it was an S-day - the chips and dips didn't look that appealing! amazing!

no actual weight loss that i can see yet, BUT my boyfriend says he sees a difference, so I'm going to believe him!

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:59 pm

Yeah, I have to remember I am still totally on plan!!! Even though I think I overdid it on S-day, it is not a failure and I am 14 days with NO CHEATS!! I don't think I have really lost anything yet and I know I need to be patient about that.

But I just know that I am not even enjoying eating this way on S-day. There has to be a happy medium. I have bingeing issues too so I think this may be a struggle on the more "free" S days for me.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:07 pm

i agree, that coming up with a plan is a good way to go. especially if you know how it makes you feel when your eating in a mindless way.

after 3 weeks, the most amazing part has been how much i crave REAL food. I used to LOVE snacks, and somehow they're not as satisfying or appealing. I think that is b/c my meals are no longer diet foods and a lot of complicated rules - just one plate.

I also used to have an irrational fear of being hungry, and that is slowly getting better.

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:00 pm

AmyLiz, I agree... I am craving REAL food now and I am enjoying it so much more when i am actually hungry and sit down with a nice plate of food. I think the visual of seeing all of your food makes it more satisfying somehow too.

I think I really need to weigh myself too because I am feeling like I am almost gaining weight!!! Probably all in my head but I swear, I will be the one person to gain weight on this diet. my luck. :?

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:27 pm

I know what you guys mean about real food. Before starting this diet, I was noticing that snacks really didn't appease my hunger much anyway. They were just wasteful calories & didn't taste very good anyway.

Yesterday I had a very good day. Almost had a snack, but ended up eating only ONE goldfish b/c it was already in my mouth and I dropped the rest back in.

There are cookies out today but I don't intend to have any. I'm doing too well to screw this up.

Instead of my usual cereal for breakfast, today I treated myself to an everything bagel with cream cheese. Yummy!!! I love a good soft bagel once in a while. For lunch I have a SmartOne (they're like a Lean Cuisine)b/c they were on sale. I like them and bought ones that have a full serving of veggies. For dinner tonight I might make homemade chicken pot pie.

I weighed myself today and it said "144.6" (digital scale). Point Six?? Ooookay. I started at 148 and it's absolutely amazing what a difference only 3 or almost 4 lbs make on my clothes and how I look. I thought it wouldn't make too much of a difference before I got to 140, but it really does! :)

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:06 pm

Nossuzy - I thought i was gaining weight too, and this week (week 4) i'm starting to feel and see a difference for the first time! patience, patience, patience - i just keep telling myself.

when i'm frustrated, i try to remind myself of the alternatives: ie. stupid diets, guilt, over-eating, sugar crashes, stress eating and diet food.
as we all know, this is so much better!

Nichole - i wouldn't be too restrictive about bagels for breakfast. there is a good part of america that thinks DONUTS are ok for breakfast! they're definitly a 'sweet' in my book. I haven't had a failure day since i started and i think its b/c i don't eat diet foods or restrict in any other way besides the 3 meal rule. and when i've wanted a 'snack' food (like chips) i've incorporated them into my lunch plate.
but you're doing great, 4lbs is a lot for someone with not much to lose! keep it up

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:16 pm

Well, I am super depressed today. I could feel my clothes getting tighter, in fact a pair of capris I bought 2 weeks ago that fit are now too tight. So I weighed and I have gained 4-5 pounds!!!! I just don't want to keep this up if this is what is going to happen.

Jamiebf

don't worry

Post by Jamiebf » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:53 pm

Hey Suzy,
As I said in your PM, Remember this is about learning healthy habits, the numbers on the scale are secondary it will happen. The freedom on no diet obsessing is what is the most important. The rest will follow with some healthy food choices and exercise we will get where we need to be. It may take time but thats ok with me because all I ever do on other diets is fail and gain more weight.

Hang in there, get inspired and smile, check out blueskigh's blog. All the support we need is right here from all these wonderful people that struggle with all the same food stuff :D

Have a great day!!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:56 am

Good morning, all! It's Wednesday already. How is everybody? Just got to work after a restful night of sleep following downloading and watching of four (or was it five?) episodes of Gossip Girl. I think I found a new shown to LOVE!!

Also, on another personal note, can you believe I rushed to get to my music lesson and my teacher never showed up!? Ugh. I ended my walk with a jog just so I could get home, changed, and leave on time. At least it gave me motivation to jog!

Anyway, did pretty well yesterday...for the most part. I successfully resisted cookies and my late-day afternoon urge to snack. But then the fiance wanted Pizza Hut for dinner. I didn't want pizza and I hadn't had buffalo wings in a while. I love anything buffalo. So I ordered 10 wings. Then I debated whether or not I wanted something else, if 10 wings was enough. Soooo I got an order of breadsticks. I ate all of it!!! That seems like too much food for dinner. So yesterday was both a good day and a bad day.

Are you feeling any better today, Suzy? You've been in my thoughts! (You and the whole group!)

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:16 pm

Hey Nichole,
i've had a few of those dinners when i'm questioning my portions. last night we went out for BBQ- and i ate almost everything on the plate! i was so excited when they served it all on one plate though, and didnt' put the sides in seperate dishes. i felt really full, and i'm sure i over did it.

BUT i didn't snack, or have dessert - so in terms of continuing to build better habits it was a good day - and it sounds like yours was too.

hope everyone is having a good day so far - half-way to S-day!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:56 pm

Amyliz wrote:Hey Nichole,
i've had a few of those dinners when i'm questioning my portions. last night we went out for BBQ- and i ate almost everything on the plate! i was so excited when they served it all on one plate though, and didnt' put the sides in seperate dishes. i felt really full, and i'm sure i over did it.

BUT i didn't snack, or have dessert - so in terms of continuing to build better habits it was a good day - and it sounds like yours was too.

hope everyone is having a good day so far - half-way to S-day!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves me some yummy bbq-type stuff! American food has to be my favorite. It just contains so many good memories for me, I guess. Going to Nifty Fifties with friends and family probably did it for me! :) Probably also when Mom would take my brother and me to Burger King on Friday nights...

Anyway, I wasn't going to check-in because I don't want to be a hog, but here I am! Yesterday was a good day with no "cheating" at all. I actually couldn't finish my dinner. I'm so glad my period for this month is over and done with b/c it made me so hungry!

I guess I'm a scale-a-holic. I'm 144.4. Yaay. Slow and steady wins the race, I keep telling myself.

Haven't heard from Suzy in a while, hope she's still trying!!!

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:54 pm

Hey Nichole - thanks for checking in, thats what this thread is for! but really, you don't seem to be all that slow! you've already lost some pounds, and thats encouraging to me.

today was good, and I'm starting to notice I'm eating a little less at my meals. getting fuller faster, and I'm getting over the fear 'what if I'm hungry later!?'

last night was the closest i've come to snacking in a while, so i had a beer instead! better than a physical snack food, filling and very tasty. i hope I'm not going to start nurturing alcoholic tendencies on this diet :? ha
Amyliz

START: 03/30/08 - 158- 161lbs range
Current: 145-148lbs range
On 12/22/09 I saw 145 on the scale for the first time in 7 years!

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:57 pm

FYI - changed my profile name from Amyliz ... hope thats not super weird!
i'm new to the discussion board/blogging world and using my real name seems odd now. ok ... carry on :D
Amyliz

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:50 pm

Blamey wrote:Hey Nichole - thanks for checking in, thats what this thread is for! but really, you don't seem to be all that slow! you've already lost some pounds, and thats encouraging to me.

today was good, and I'm starting to notice I'm eating a little less at my meals. getting fuller faster, and I'm getting over the fear 'what if I'm hungry later!?'

last night was the closest i've come to snacking in a while, so i had a beer instead! better than a physical snack food, filling and very tasty. i hope I'm not going to start nurturing alcoholic tendencies on this diet :? ha
Yes, I would definitely not make a habit of drinking lots of beer! But I personally can't comment on beer/alcohol in general because I don't really drink. It's not religious or anything, I just don't like it.

As far as how fast I've been, I think I've lost about a pound a week so far. I've lost almost four pounds. I'm trying not to hit the scale again for a few days. I know I've said it a million times, but I'm amazed at what a difference only 4 pounds makes! 145 is definitely a comfy weight for me, but I'd like to get to 140 anyway. Basically my attitude is I'll follow this and make a habit of it and see where it takes me.

Yesterday was an OK day. Allergy season is upon us. Ughhh. Only thing I hate about this weather! That and the birds singing in the morning waking me up when all I want is 20 minutes more sleep.

Diet wise, I guess it was a failure. The downfall was a kind of big dinner and half a donut. My dinner was small cup soup, a wrap, and some fries. I saw a ballet in Philly and didn't get home until 12 am and I'm really feeling it today. Can't wait to go home and relax. Not sure if I'm going to exercise today since I'm so exhausted.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:38 pm

yes, well i'm going to keep the beer/wine to a two drink minimum. thats great that you don't drink at all - i've always heard its a major contributer to weight gain.

but living in nyc, and going out every weekend makes eating and drinking the main event. I probably eat out 65% of my meals! ugh, i know.

BUT on the flip side, i walk a ton (don't own a car) and live in the 6th floor of a walk-up .. meaning i go up 6 flights of stairs several times a day. you would think this would add up to a good balance, but alas i still gained 15lbs in the 5yrs i've lived here!

i'm going to stay patient with No-s, but this weekend is 4 weeks, and i'd love to see some negative pounds!

Amyliz
Amyliz

Jamiebf

Post by Jamiebf » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:17 am

Hey, I haven't seen nossuzy on :( I hope she will be back. The scales can do such damage when we put all our faith in just loosing pounds. It is about habit more than anything. Undoing all those years of the diet damage, not just to our bodies but our emotions. I really do believe if we can change our minds the boby will follow. I do hope suzy comes back.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:27 pm

Hey Jamie, i've been thinking the same thing. i hope she didn't give up, i really think No-S is the best thing that ever happened to me!

so how are you doing? good days, bad days?

I had a good S-weekend. i had treats here and there mostly to keep my week days so solid. but i wasn't craving them as much as i did the past weekends.
i'm glad to be back to N-days!
Amyliz

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:29 pm

Jamiebf wrote:Hey, I haven't seen nossuzy on :( I hope she will be back. The scales can do such damage when we put all our faith in just loosing pounds. It is about habit more than anything. Undoing all those years of the diet damage, not just to our bodies but our emotions. I really do believe if we can change our minds the boby will follow. I do hope suzy comes back.
Me too. I've been worrying a bit about her. She hasn't checked in for a while. Maybe she's busy? Seems to be just the three of us now.

Had fun S Days. I notice I don't really snack very much, but I indulged on Saturday on half a pint of Ben and Jerry's "Half Baked" (my fav.) and on Sunday I had chocolate cheesecake. It was soooo good.

I weighed myself today and I'm still 145. So maybe I'll plateau for a while and then lose more weight? Who knows. It's okay, because I like 145. But I noticed that I still don't find myself any prettier in pictures, which reminds me that I read an interesting article in a magazine on the emotional affects of losing weight. I'll have to see if it's online to share.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:35 pm

Here's the interesting article I was talking about. It was from this April's Good Housekeeping.

link: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/ ... ts-of-thin

The Limits of Thin: Losing Weight Doesn't Fix Everything
Losing weight may shrink your belly, but it won’t make your life pain free

By Geneen Roth

My romance with It things began when I was 6 and convinced that having a Patti Playpal — a life-size doll with a blue-and-white plaid jumper — was the answer to, well, everything. Soon after that, my fervor for clothes, shoes, and jewelry was unleashed: There was the white fake-rabbit-fur jacket I spotted when I was 14, the antique garnet choker I couldn’t live without when I was 22, the black sweater with the huge embroidered flower that I coveted when I was 25. And let’s not forget the major It thing of my teens and 20s, the number one thing that I was sure would give me a glorious life: being thin.

During all the years I dieted and binged, I was utterly convinced that being thin would make me happy. I’d pose in front of the mirror, stick out one of my thighs so that only half of it would show, and imagine the life to which that thin thigh would belong. It was a glittering, shimmering, perpetually happy life. In my fantasy, there were no broken hearts, no illnesses, no deaths.

The reality: When I lost weight and kept it off, it was wonderful to be lighter, to wear pretty clothes and pants without elastic waistbands. But when I opened my eyes in the morning, I was still the same ole me. My body was thinner, but the rest of my life was the same.

Rats.

I recently got a note from someone who pinned a Weight Watchers ribbon onto her letter. The embossed writing on the ribbon said, “I lost 10 pounds,†and underneath the embossing, she handwrote, “And I still feel like crap.â€

Yup. We think it’s the weight that makes us miserable, and to the extent that it limits our movements and affects our blood pressure and our knees, extra weight really does make us uncomfortable. Not looking great in clothes can make us feel self-conscious and sad. But the belief that losing weight will give us a magical new life prevents us from making the most of the life we have now, whatever we weigh.

A woman named Mollie told a story at one of my workshops. She has spent her adult life overweight, miserable, and broke. She decided that having lap-band surgery was her only chance at being thin, happy, and healthy. So she talked her equally broke sister into lending her money for the procedure. “When I told her how important being thin was to me and that I thought it would be the answer to all my prayers, she came up with the money for the operation,†Mollie said. “Now, a year later, she is coming to see me for the first time since the surgery. The thing is, I’ve gained back almost every single pound I lost and she doesn’t know it, and I am too ashamed to tell her over the phone. I am desperate. I am frantic — and I am fat again.â€

I was curious about what actually happened when she was thin. I asked Mollie if it was, indeed, the answer to her prayers.

“It was great to be thin,†she said. “It was definitely easier to move around and my joints didn’t hurt so much. But I hadn’t realized that being thin wouldn’t fill all the empty holes in my life. I thought that somehow when I lost weight everything that was wrong would be right. It wasn’t. I still didn’t have a relationship, my mother was still sick with lung cancer, and I was still broke.â€

“And what happened when you realized all this?†I asked.

“I was so disappointed, I started eating again to make myself feel better. And since after the surgery I couldn’t eat in the quantities that I ate before, I had to eat small portions — constantly — until I gained back every ounce.â€

All of us want to believe that someday we will have worked hard enough and be thin enough to reach the land of no problems, the universe of no pain. If emotional eating is a challenge for us, if we suffer because of the size of our bodies and our relationship to food, then somehow we end up believing that getting rid of the fat will take away the suffering. When it doesn’t, we feel so betrayed that we eat to comfort ourselves.

Give yourself a reality check. Think for a moment about the It things you’ve wanted and gotten — the sweaters, the boots, the earrings. Pick one. Think about what went through your mind when you first saw it and what you believed your life would be like when you got it.

Now, remember what your life was like when you did get it, the initial excitement, the thrill of having something you wanted so badly. Then remember the days after that. If it made you happy, how long did the happiness last? And how quickly was it replaced by the next It thing?

OK, now think about all the times in your life you’ve lost weight. Think about the times you reached your goal weight (even if it was for 10 minutes). And answer this question honestly: Did losing weight make you happy forevermore? If it did, why did you gain the weight back? And if it didn’t, then why do you believe it will make you happy now?

Often, we forget the eventual disappointment that results from getting what we want and go right back to wanting something else we don’t have. We lose weight dozens and dozens of times, understand for a second that being thin isn’t the magic we thought it would be, and then gain the pounds back, which lets us look forward again and say, “Then, oh then, I will be happy. Then I will not be in pain.â€

Hanging on to an It thing that will make the bad stuff go away perpetuates the fantasy that a life without pain is possible. It also keeps us from plumbing our lives for the things that really will make us happy.

In my own case, I’d spent so many years believing that when I lost weight, I would turn into a different person — an easygoing, thick-haired, long-legged, Angelina Jolie type — that it took me awhile to get used to the thinner version of the same old me. But then I realized that I had a life that no one else could have. I stopped writing poetry (which I was terrible at) and started writing what only I could write — my books about emotional eating from a personal perspective. When I gave up wanting to have a life that wasn’t my own, I was able to grow into the life that was already mine, waiting for me to see, inhabit, and live it.

Try this experiment: Instead of waiting to be thin to be happy, try being happy right now. Live as if you were already thin, as if you liked yourself, as if you chose to have the life you have right now.

My bet is that you will discover the real It thing: the riches of your own life that were yours all along.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:14 pm

Good Article, thanks for sharing it Nichole

i read a lot of posts, especially on the introducing myself thread, where people say they thought they were fat in HS, but when they look at pics they weren't.
I've been thinking - if i gained another 10lbs in the next 10 yrs, would I look back at my 27 yr old self and think 'I wasn't fat?!'

its hard to get that perspective, but i really like the end of that article:

'Try this experiment: Instead of waiting to be thin to be happy, try being happy right now. Live as if you were already thin, as if you liked yourself, as if you chose to have the life you have right now. '

good stuff :)
Amyliz

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:59 pm

Hello girls. I have been lurking. I posted on the main discussion thing about my problem and how I am scared to jump back in because of this initial disappointment.

I really had been making healthier choices during the week and it was such a slap in the face to fail at something yet again!!!! I need to see some sort of progress to know I am doing this right.

I religiously stuck to my 3 plates per day. Didn't layer on the food but did make sure I was full to last my 4-5 hours to my next meal.

ate some things I wouldn't have doing weight watchers, etc because of thinking they were "too many points" calories, etc.

But I did try to make healthier choices of the things I was craving. I only ate fries and that sort of stuff on my S days.

If we went to a fast food, I got a plain burger with lots of lettuce, pickles, and a side salad.

What the heck guys? :cry:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:59 pm

Are you exercising? That could help. There seems to be a lot of good advice on the other thread. I suppose if I were you I'd try scaling back the portions a little bit and exercise a little more.

Here's what I eat in a day:

Breakfast: Cereal with skim milk. Usually one or 1.5 small bowls. (Approx. 200 cals)
Lunch: Soup or a frozen meal such as Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, whatever was on sale at ACME. (Around 200 cals or sometimes less depending.)
Dinner: Whatever. (Don't know cals.)

I also exercise between 30 and 45 minutes about 5 days a week. Cardio almost every day and 5 lb. free weights about every other day.

I put the calories in above because I think that might be why I've lost weight because I'm not taking in that many calories and then I'm exercising. But I feel good and I'm not starving myself, which is why I love this so far.

Keep us posted and PLEASE don't get depressed! That's why I was worrying about you... I don't want to see anyone get depressed.
Last edited by Nichole on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:10 pm

Nichole,

thanks for sharing your meal portions, I am pretty certain I eat quite a bit more than you do :D and on my 6th week am coming to the conclusion that I am eating more than I need, I am at the next tricky step ... looking at my portions, I am going to start this morning with trimming my breakfasts ...

oh I have also been reducing my cardio and increasing my yoga/stretching ... since it is NOT ashtanga yoga or anything strenuous like that this exchange is probably reducing my calorie output, but mentally, emotionally, and physically I feel much better!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:05 pm

I'm SURE i eat much more than that for lunch (200 cals, whoa)

I'm really glad i started the first month not thinking about portion size beyond the one plate b/c i feel like i built a strong foundation.
yesterday, i wasn't hungry for breakfast b/c i'm sure i over ate on sunday - i just had a banana.
not a lot of food, but at least i didn't skip a meal or break my habits.

I haven't lost any weight (that i know of) so now I'm just starting to look at the meal choices and size, a little bit at a time.
At the very least I'm maintaining my weight on No-s and i've regained some sanity is this diet crazy world.
Amyliz

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:17 pm

blueskighs wrote:Nichole,

thanks for sharing your meal portions, I am pretty certain I eat quite a bit more than you do :D and on my 6th week am coming to the conclusion that I am eating more than I need, I am at the next tricky step ... looking at my portions, I am going to start this morning with trimming my breakfasts ...
Sounds like you've been doing so well. 129 is a nice weight to be at. By the way, that pizza you had the other day looked AMAZING. I LOVE veggie pizza so much.

AmyLiz, it's good that you feel you've gained some sanity. That is always so nice. I think about food so much less now which is great. I buy less food, which is also an added benefit. And remember, the only reason why I know how many calories are in my breakfast and lunch are because they're processed. For instance, my lunch states right on the package that it's only 190 calories. So I'm not really counting calories, but once I thought about it, it was easy to figure out.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:44 pm

That was a close one! I'm hungry and I made this homemade chocolate cheesecake on Saturday for the weekend and I ALMOST had a piece!!!!! Instead, I wrapped up a piece and froze it for Satruday. I had ONE BITE though. I won't count it as a failure, but it was certainly a near-failure! Phew!

And for your inspirational purposes, here are two pictures of me. I can see the difference, especially in my face.

Image Image

Me in December (154)........................................Me today (145).

BTW: UGH what was I thinking wearing that sweater over that tee-shirt???? Insane.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:54 am

Blamey,

for the first month I didn't think about portion size either, unless I felt pretty full :D

Nichole, great pics, you look great!
I shrunk my breakfast today and actually felt better,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:59 pm

Success!!!! i know its the day before our daily check-in's weigh in, but I weighed myself this morning and i'm at 155!

the few times i weighed myself since starting No-s I was 157, so i'm counting this as a 2lb weight loss! Its always a good feeling to see the scale go down!

Nichole - you look great! and ten pounds really makes difference, I think i'll see a big difference when i get to 145.

blueskighs - breakfast seems like a good meal to try downsizing - you still have two meals left to look forward too.

today is a co-workers b-day and we're having cake ... SO do i take a special day (didn't have an off S special day all month) do i have cake and call it a failure OR do i try to skip the cake? i think i need to pick a strategy now :?
Amyliz

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:18 pm

Blamey wrote:Success!!!! i know its the day before our daily check-in's weigh in, but I weighed myself this morning and i'm at 155!

the few times i weighed myself since starting No-s I was 157, so i'm counting this as a 2lb weight loss! Its always a good feeling to see the scale go down!

Nichole - you look great! and ten pounds really makes difference, I think i'll see a big difference when i get to 145.

blueskighs - breakfast seems like a good meal to try downsizing - you still have two meals left to look forward too.

today is a co-workers b-day and we're having cake ... SO do i take a special day (didn't have an off S special day all month) do i have cake and call it a failure OR do i try to skip the cake? i think i need to pick a strategy now :?
1st of all, thanks! I generally hate how I look in pictures, so I won't go there, but I'm glad people can see the difference side-by-side.

Are you at a BIG company that often has cake? If so, I say skip it, because then it'll happen a lot. If you guys only have cake once in a while, I say have a small-sized piece.

And congrats on seeing some success! It's just what you need to keep moving forward!

Today for me:
Breakfast: Cheerios w/skim milk
Lunch: Half of quesadilla entree (had other half last nite for dinner)
Dinner: Chick-fil-A with my mom and sister. I checked out their nutrition facts and I think I'm gonna go with their Chargrilled Southwest Salad with Buttermilk Ranch dressing.

The evil scale couldn't decide if I was 144 or 145 today. LoL. When is it EVER going to move down to 143? I'm plateauing.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:06 pm

well, i guess i was not meant to eat cake - they moved the celebration to friday.
SO i think I'll plan to take a piece home with me for my S-day treat.
no, its not a big company, but you're right that i don't want to start a pattern.

I can see a big difference in those pictures, and maybe its the sweater but it looks like more than 10lbs to me!

I also eat cereal for breakfast, with a banana or raisins. i find its usually filling until lunch at 1pm
Amyliz

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu May 01, 2008 2:33 pm

How did you do at the office party, Amy?

Reading back, I realize it is our weigh-in and this morning I was 144.8. So basically I'm 145. I've plateaued the last couple of weeks. I know if I kick up my exercise, I can probably lose some more weight eventually. But I read that plateaus can take a while. Who knows? I don't feel like tweaking because I don't want to obsess. I have to think about this.

I have been (kinda) lazy with my exercising. I haven't been pushing myself as much as I have in the past. This could attribute to the plateau. That and I'm so used to the bike. But my allergies have been acting up and I haven't felt like venturing outside because of that.

Yesterday was a great day and the Chick-fil-A was sooo gooood. Pretty good salad for fast food. I had two cups of coffee in my day with half-and-half and Splenda.

I'm pretty happy with this weight but I hate how I look fatter in pictures than in real life! Ugh.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Thu May 01, 2008 3:45 pm

tell me about it, I'm not a fan of most pictures of me ... well not full body.
i was looking for some, but i realized i don't take too many full body shots, wonder why!

regarding plateaus - i don't know if its a plateau or just the part of this diet that takes time. it sounds like you're being honest with yourself about exercise, and at our weight I think we need the exercise to see a change. doing the same exercise will make it more and more difficult to lose weight. b/c i live in a city, i walk several miles a day and i live in the sixth floor of a walk-up, and I STILL have to work out 3 times a week.

have you tried weight training?

as they say, there's no magic formula - just eat less, move more. you've got the hard part down, so its probably time to move more!
Amyliz

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Thu May 01, 2008 3:46 pm

oh, and i got lucky b/c we moved the birthday cake party to friday.
i'm going to take a piece home for my saturday treat, should work well.
Amyliz

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu May 01, 2008 4:05 pm

Blamey wrote:oh, and i got lucky b/c we moved the birthday cake party to friday.
i'm going to take a piece home for my saturday treat, should work well.
Oh yeah, forgot you said that! Scatterbrained, I am.

I do weight training, but only with 5 lb weights, up from 3 lbs. I thought they'd be challenging enough, but then I got home and tried them and they weren't challenging at all. And OF COURSE I had already taken off the tag thing and threw it away. Haha. Eventually I'm gonna get heavier weights. Haven't gotten around to it quite yet.

Oh and I am exercising a lot, but just not very intensely...

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Thu May 01, 2008 9:13 pm

5lbs weights can do alot, you just have to do more repetitions - like 30 to 40.

as for intensity, if you have access to a treadmill, try doing sprints.
last year i had a personal trainer and this was my favorite workout, i really feel like i get my heartrate up, and i'm usually sore afterwards (I was down to 148 with the trainer .. obviously gained it back)

10 min. Walk on a big incline
15 min. do 50 sec. sprints with 1min. 10 sec. jogging pace rest in between. I try to do at least 5. ( i jump off and put the speed up a few mph and then get back on holding onto the side rails until i get the pace)
5 min. walking on an incline.

you could do the same type of thing on a bike. I find its a fun way to challenge myself and see how fast i can go in that 50 sec. time.
I used to do this routine a few times a week in addition to weight training. I'm working on getting that habit going again.
Amyliz

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri May 02, 2008 2:56 pm

Blamey wrote:5lbs weights can do alot, you just have to do more repetitions - like 30 to 40.

as for intensity, if you have access to a treadmill, try doing sprints.
last year i had a personal trainer and this was my favorite workout, i really feel like i get my heartrate up, and i'm usually sore afterwards (I was down to 148 with the trainer .. obviously gained it back)

10 min. Walk on a big incline
15 min. do 50 sec. sprints with 1min. 10 sec. jogging pace rest in between. I try to do at least 5. ( i jump off and put the speed up a few mph and then get back on holding onto the side rails until i get the pace)
5 min. walking on an incline.

you could do the same type of thing on a bike. I find its a fun way to challenge myself and see how fast i can go in that 50 sec. time.
I used to do this routine a few times a week in addition to weight training. I'm working on getting that habit going again.

That is (similar) to what I do. I challenged myself yesterday. I usually do level 2 on the bike. Yesterday night I did level 3 and did manual mode, which basically means it doesn't change difficulty, it's a steady 3. Anyway, I did 40 minutes and for the first 5 or so I took it easy to warm up. Then I try to keep up a 110 rpm pace for as long as I can (usually 1.5 minutes) and then I take it easy at about 70 rpm. I just keep alternating. I was soaked when I was finished!

I was weighed at the doctor's as 146 with all my clothes on (so my guess at being 145 sounds about right). I asked her what I was last time and I was at 155 (that was in January). That made me feel good! Almost ten lbs. I feel more normal now, but still have bouts with self-image which I tend to take out on my poor fiance.

But enough about me, how is everybody else doing? It's FRIDAY!

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Fri May 02, 2008 3:28 pm

[quote="NicholeI was weighed at the doctor's as 146 with all my clothes on (so my guess at being 145 sounds about right). I asked her what I was last time and I was at 155 (that was in January). That made me feel good! Almost ten lbs. I feel more normal now, but still have bouts with self-image which I tend to take out on my poor fiance.

But enough about me, how is everybody else doing? It's FRIDAY![/quote]

Yay Nichole! You go girl!

You're going to be an itty bitty bride!

f

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Fri May 02, 2008 8:41 pm

Good Job Nichole! you really should feel proud of what you've accomplished in only a few short months. I will be VERY happy if i can lose 10lbs in four months (ok, now you better hold me to that!)

today is the birthday celebration in my office. looking at my month of April habitical and seeing ALL green and yellow - I think i will have a piece of the cookie cake and call it a Special S-day. i'm not going to beat myself up about it, i really feel like i'm in a great habit mode now!

today i was so busy at work, and we ordered in lunch and it took over an hour. i was starving, but i held out for lunch and didn't have a snack, i would NEVER have been able to do that a month ago.

so have a fun 'S' weekend everyone!
Amyliz
Amyliz

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon May 05, 2008 2:05 pm

Thanks, f and Amy! The first five lbs lost was from exercise and the last three were from No-S. :)

This weekend was good.... I had a lot of sweets, but no snacks and no seconds. I had a red day on Friday b/c I got a small Blizzard from Dairy Queen. I had a Blizzard on Saturday, too. On Sunday I had a pint of Ben and Jerry's! I guess I can also count them as sick days, beings that I felt incredibly horrible b/c of my allergies. I've been really suffering.

The good thing about the Blizzards, though, is that I got small ones. I usually only get mediums. So that was a step in a good direction. I don't feel guilty about eating that entire pint of ice cream on Sunday because I didn't eat all that much that day and I had exercised and, well, it was an S day. And I do so well with calories and no-S all week (I think).

I'm re-evaluating my exercising. I have been doing cardio (bike) for five days and everyother day I would also do weights (two days of rest are Weds and Thurs due to schedule). I've decided to switch to weights one day, cardio the next, weights, cardio, etc. I haven't been able to give the cardio my all because I'm doing it everyday. Also, doing both in one day really eats up my time. I do have other stuff to do than to worry about my body! And being able to focus on JUST the weights on my weight days will allow me to give that more effort, too.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Mon May 05, 2008 3:20 pm

Hey gals,
Nichole - sounds like a fun S-weekend to me! i had homemade ice cream sundae's sat. and sunday - and they were delicious. I could see i wasn't eating as much ice cream as i used to. I alternate my weights and cardio, and I like the variety. it also means i work out more days for less time, and that works well with my schedule.

VERY EXCITING NEWS: I weighed myself Saturday morning and i was 151.5!!!! I'm ecstatic to see that number on the scale again! I know its probably a fluke with the water weight etc. but i couldn't be more elated to finally be losing weight - in a healthy way! after all my struggles with eating disorders, i had convinced myself that my body couldn't lose weight with out drastic measures. never been happier to be wrong! yay!

good luck with monday everyone
Amyliz :D
Amyliz

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon May 05, 2008 6:39 pm

Blamey wrote:VERY EXCITING NEWS: I weighed myself Saturday morning and i was 151.5!!!! I'm ecstatic to see that number on the scale again! I know its probably a fluke with the water weight etc. but i couldn't be more elated to finally be losing weight - in a healthy way! after all my struggles with eating disorders, i had convinced myself that my body couldn't lose weight with out drastic measures. never been happier to be wrong! yay!
Yaaay! Congratulations! :) A little success is the best motivator.

It's only 2:38 PM and I'm a little hungry. Ugh. :(

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Mon May 05, 2008 6:58 pm

are you hungry or bored? I have to ask myself this all the time, especially in the afternoon at work ...
Amyliz

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue May 06, 2008 1:23 pm

I had a good day yesterday. Three solid meals. I MADE dinner last night (shock and awe!) Homemade chicken cheesesteaks with some mac and cheese. I only had a bit of mac&cheese and my fiance ate the majority of it. I put fresh tomato and sweet peppers on my sandwich, mm.

I almost got pressured into going to Dairy Queen, but I put my foot down and was almost a little too stern. I raised my voice a bit: "I AM NOT going to Dairy Queen!" I didn't go.

I'm a little dismayed about the scale this morning---it said 146.8! Ouch!!! :( Maybe all the coffee with half-n-half I've been drinking is starting to add up in calories.

UPDATE: 2:30 pm --- Being thin(er) is HARD sometimes. I would REALLY love to have a chocolate cupcake right now. Tastycake. Mmmm. They're in the vending machine, argh.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Tue May 06, 2008 8:59 pm

Hey nichole,
don't stress so much about the 1 to 2 lbs and calories.
i weighed 153 this morning, but I know i'm on the downward trend in general.
have you tried going a week or two without the scale?
Amyliz

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Wed May 07, 2008 5:41 pm

I had a good day yesterday, made it my morning workout, yay!
I'm working on making the morning workouts a habit (trying for 3 a week)

I tried the Ziploc steam bags people rave about, and they were amazing! i made a spice rub for chicken i found online, and made a bunch of chicken breasts. Then i made spinach and bought pre-made Mac & Cheese as a side.

It was a delicious dinner and mostly healthy stuff. i can't believe this diet is actually making me cook more! who knew?
Amyliz

Nichole

May 8 check-in

Post by Nichole » Thu May 08, 2008 12:51 pm

Hiya,

I just wanted to check in today! Yesterday I cheated A LOT. I went to Panera bread for dinner and I asked for an ICED coffee and I got a FROZEN coffee (which is latent with sugar). I guess there was a misunderstanding somewhere. All I wanted was some cold coffee with ice, so I could add a little Splenda and some half-n-half. What I got was delicious though!!! Also, I was really suffering this afternoon, so I bought chocolate milk (480 calories!!) and it was sooo good.

At dinner I had half of a panini and a cup of soup. It also came with a huge hunk of bread, which I didn’t eat. I didn’t need it!

But today I weighed (guess I’m addicted) at 146. So I’m still happy with my weight. I’m just trying not to obsess.

The afternoon is so extremely hard for me while I am at work. 2 o’clock is the pits. I brought a banana today to eat when that time hits. I just really have to. I know it’s a snack, but I get so bad and miserable at this time, so I just need something. My main problem before this diet was my ice cream every night. So still keeping that out will be good for me :)

What I also might try is spacing out my meals more. It’s 8:47 and I’m not starving for breakfast, so I’m gonna wait a little more. I think that will help.

Also, Blamey, I also want to work out in the morning. But my fiance sleeps in the room with the bike, so I can't. Once he gets his sleep-apnea machine (C-pap), then we'll be sleeping together in one room again. Then I hope to move my workouts to the morning, which will make the day go a lot smoother and I won't feel so pressed for time when I get home from work.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Thu May 08, 2008 6:22 pm

Hey Nichole,
i hope you like the morning workouts once you can start doing them, i know i really like how much free time i get at the end of the day now.

but its hard, i didn't make it to the gym this morning, so i'll have to push myself to go tonight.

i've had some borderline cheat days - when i'm making dinner and i eat or taste something before the actual meal. i'm not too concerned about this as a habit, seeing as cooking is relatively new for me, i know i didn't gain this weight from trying my chicken before dinner.
overall i'm having an easier and easier time not eating chocolate all week, or anything else sweet. i can't believe it already thursday and i'm not having cravings!!
Amyliz

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu May 08, 2008 6:47 pm

Blamey wrote:i hope you like the morning workouts once you can start doing them, i know i really like how much free time i get at the end of the day now.
Well you sound like you're doing good over all. It's hard to get up in the morning, which is one reason I might never stick to a morning workout. But you're still trying, so that is good!
Blamey wrote:overall i'm having an easier and easier time not eating chocolate all week, or anything else sweet. i can't believe it already thursday and i'm not having cravings!!
That's great!! I'm so glad it's Thursday... I don't have cravings for sugar/sweets so much as for ANYTHING in the afternoon. I might have come up with a solution though...

Since we eat dinner so late, I decided to space out my meals better. Today I didn't eat breakfast until 9:30 am and I wasn't even starving for it then yet. Then I just at lunch at around 2:30. I leave work at 4, so I think I'll be fine!!! Dinner will probably be between 6-7. Eating my lunch at 12 and waiting all those hours for dinner... it just wasn't wise. I was starving by dinner.

I also had the banana immediately after my Lean Cuisine. It satisfies that urge to eat something after my meal and hopefully it'll make me fuller until dinner.

We'll see how this works.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Thu May 08, 2008 9:35 pm

hey Nichole, that sounds like a good plan
i try to hold out for lunch until 1-1:30 b/c i don't eat dinner until 7 or 8 (at the earliest)

the afternoon can be rough, luckily i've been really busy at work and that helps as a distraction from work.

as for the banana at lunch, sounds like another good plan. i cut up an apple or half an apple to eat with lunch. i'm usually very full when i eat the last slice of apple, but its nice to have something juicy and sweet at the end of the meal.

Green apples are my favorite.
Amyliz

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue May 13, 2008 1:54 pm

Time for me to check in.

I get a big fat red mark for yesterday. I had a piece of chocolate cheesecake and a piece of chocolate. Moreover, after a relatively good day (besides the cake), I had a small sandwich and lots of cheese fries at dinner. It's just that I was feeling very emotional because Justin and I were talking about having kids in the future. I was thinking about how difficult it will be to breastfeed with a full-time job and all sorts of other worries. Even though it's a couple years down the road, I worry.

The scale was up to 147 again this morning. I know 145 to 147 isn't a crazy jump, but I don't like it. My weekends have been kind of crazy with a lot of sweets and calories, which I attribute for my weight jump. I guess I should try more self control during the weekends.

I don't know, this diet seems very hard to me all of a sudden!! I don't feel like I've lost any weight anymore because of the jumps up and down. I am practically 148 again, which is where I started. Not having a lot of weight to lose is HARD. Ugh.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Tue May 13, 2008 3:01 pm

Hey Nichole,
i feel your pain, i was 154 this morning. which is still 3lbs down from where i started BUT up from last week.
but in the big picture we just started this diet, i'm in week 6. i've had crazy weekends throughout, but i really think if we focus on the N-days the weight will come off in the long run.

I'm also trying to stay focused on the exercise part of my life, when you only have 10-15lbs to lose, excercise has to be there.

but i'm sorry to hear that you're feeling stressed, and i know how easy it is to slip into old habits when stress shows up.
i have a note on my desk from a quote in Reinhard's book
'Routine is the antidote to stress.'

hope you're having a better day today!!
Amyliz
Amyliz

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Thu May 15, 2008 1:18 pm

hey,
so yesterday was a good day in several ways:
1) went to the doctor for routine exam, and they're scale said 152! so thats consistent, and i'm happy about it.

2) was out for a work dinner, and i did have some of the appetizer but didn't finish the whole entree ... so i think there was a good balance.
but the best part was that they ordered 4 decdent desserts, and i didn't have a single bite. it was hard, but i really wanted to stay on habit, and i did it!

no one really noticed i didn't have any, its amazing.

how has your week been?
Amyliz

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu May 15, 2008 1:35 pm

Blamey wrote:hey,
so yesterday was a good day in several ways:
1) went to the doctor for routine exam, and they're scale said 152! so thats consistent, and i'm happy about it.

2) was out for a work dinner, and i did have some of the appetizer but didn't finish the whole entree ... so i think there was a good balance.
but the best part was that they ordered 4 decdent desserts, and i didn't have a single bite. it was hard, but i really wanted to stay on habit, and i did it!

no one really noticed i didn't have any, its amazing.

how has your week been?

That is great about your weight! :) Nothing like a doctor's office visit to confirm how well you're doing.

That must have been a little tough at dinner yesterday! But as soon as you accept that you're not going to have any, I'm sure it all worked out emotionally. And you can have a similar treat this weekend! (I know if I turn down a treat I tend to think about it for a while, lol).

I've been okay this week. Besides the Monday piece of cheesecake, I've been really quite well. I have tactics that I tend to forget about, such as drinking tea with Splenda after lunch (since I love something sweet after eating) and also drinking tea whenever my energy dips. Like I've said before, a sweet or snack never really helped in the past anyway, so might as well have a little caffeine. Anyway, I returned to this tactic and it reminded me why it was so easy the first two weeks. I guess I get bored of tea or just forget I have it.

Justin, my fiance, is so supportive of me. Whenever I want to have some ice cream during the week he ever-so-gently reminds me of my goals. Not because he thinks I'm fat or anything -- he always thinks I look good -- but because he knows how important it is to me. The way he encourages is just-right.

And good news on the personal front: Justin and I are going to talk to a realtor on Wednesday night! I'm so excited! :)

By the way, in my signature is a quote from one of those Quaker 100 calorie packs. It reminded me of no-s, even though she was snacking. (The blond chick with glasses is at work and someone brings in the most delicious-looking cupcakes, but instead she has her 100-cal pack and says "Your homemade superpowers have no effect!")

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri May 16, 2008 1:58 pm

Figured I would check in.... After implementing my tea-drinking (and sugar-free hot cocoa drinking), I have had a good week overall.

My weight is down to 144 as of this morning. I think I was dehydrated before or it was pre-menstral OR combo of both. I've been doing the running average on an Excel worksheet, which I find very interesting.

Since I'm only eating 3 meals, it's SUPER easy to guess-timate my calorie consumption, so I've been doing ROUGHLY 1500, give or take. I basically eat only about 250 at breakfast and 250 at lunch, so that leaves 1000 for dinner. My breakfast and lunch are processed so it only takes reading the label to know how much I'm eating. And I don't really have a way to count dinner and I'm not about to try, but I figure if my portions are modest, it's not that high. It sounds more complicated than it actually is.

Tonight we're having a get-together for my bro Stephen who is turning 34 on Sunday (he has to work all weekend). I really intend to only have a little piece of cake. I have the whole weekend ahead of me!

susieokla

Post by susieokla » Sat May 17, 2008 3:40 am

Nichole-Your art is very cool. :)
Susieokla

No S Diet Start Weight 10/6/08: 165 lbs

Current weight as of 10/14/08: 160 lbs

Goal Weight: 135-140 lbs

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon May 19, 2008 1:59 pm

susieokla wrote:Nichole-Your art is very cool. :)
Thanks!

Anyway, I had a very good no-S weekend. I had an S event on Friday night--my bro's birthday. I chose to have a small piece of cake, one scoop of ice cream, and a tiny portion of cheese danish. At dinner, I didn't overeat. Had a piece of pizza and some barbeque chicken.

The weekend I did so well! I didn't overeat and ate three square meals both days. I did snack on Sunday on chips and salsa, which is pretty low-fat anyway. And I LOVE salsa (isn't it great when once in a while something you love actually is not bad for you??). For treats, I had a DQ Fudge Brownie Temptation on Sat and on Sun I had a medium Strawberry Cheesecake Blizard. :)

I also exercised on Sunday, since I had a two-day break (Fri and Sat).

Nichole :)

Hope you are doing well -- haven't heard from you in a bit!

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Mon May 19, 2008 6:29 pm

Hey All - and welcome to the check-in Susieokla! i see your goal is 135 - so i hope you'll update us on your progress.

I was out of town since thursday, so I haven't been online in a while. I had a crazy vacation weekend, and i counted friday as an S-day. however, even for an S-day i did a good job not snacking and i didn't have any sweets.

In general, it was a good weekend and although i FEEL like i gained 5 lbs, i know its probably just bloating and all that good stuff. I was totally off schedule, and i think that makes me feel heavier even if i'm not techinically.

Nichole - good luck with the house hunting! and i'm glad you've found something for the post lunch sugar cravings.
Amyliz

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue May 20, 2008 4:05 pm

Ah- ha! I figured you were just busy.

I am doing OK.

Yesterday I had an AWFUL day. Justin did our budget and figured out that was cannot afford the monthly needs of a house (mortage and all the other bills) and can JUST BARELY afford an apartment. So I freaked. Really upset. But I didn't do too bad with food. Had seconds at dinner. This morning, also upset, had a small danish (only about 3 inches wide) and a half mug of french vanilla cappuccino.

But otherwise, I talked it out and wrote it out on a post-it note which i'll paste into my diary. I'm a lot calmer now. Justin says his dad is going to help us figure something out. I'm trying not to eat away this problem, because then I'll just have another problem of more weight. I know that the extra weight will just make me more depressed.

I have this problem where something bad happens and all of a sudden it's like the end of the world. Usually I would eat my way out of it, but I'm trying to stick to no-s.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Tue May 20, 2008 8:04 pm

money is so stressful! my budget is something i'm trying to tackle now, and it is helpful that i'm doing no-s b/c my main expense seems to be food.

groceries are expensive here, sometimes just as much as eating out.
But i feel for you, and it sounds like you're doing a great job staying on track. I feel like i gained some weight again, and i was looking at photos from the weekend and wasn't very happy about them. Its hard when you're standing next to much thinner, taller girls - ugh.

BUT i'm trying not to be depressed about my weight, and just keep eating on track, and trust that i'm making a difference. i'm not going to weigh myself until this next weekend, so i have the whole week of No-s under my belt b/f i see how the scale is doing.
last night i cooked some food for the rest of the week, and that is tricky for me b/c i'm tasting as i'm cooking. i'm sure i didn't eat more than a plate full, and it was all healthy stuff - but it wasn't a Model dinner for sure.

good luck with the rest of your tuesday!
Amyliz

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Tue May 20, 2008 8:07 pm

oh, and i forgot to say thanks for explaining your tag line - thats hysterical, love that line!
Amyliz

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu May 22, 2008 2:34 pm

Remember that even if you did gain a little back, it was because of vaca, and the weight will come off and you'll be back on track!

And I'm glad you like the quote... I thought it was so funny. Have you seen the commercial yet?

Today, miracle of miracles, the scale went DOWN. I do not know how. It was the day after an S day (wedding shower @ work). Maybe I've broken the plateau? I weighed 143.4 today. 143! I haven't seen that in a long time, maybe a year or two.. So I'll see where this takes me.

Yesterday:
Caffeine: 2 cups of coffee
B: Cereal/skim milk
L: 6" Italian hoagie
D: Chicken and corn-on-cob
S: Cake.
Night S: Scoop of sugar-free ice cream (surprisingly good)

Today:
Caffeine: Aiming for zero today
B: Everything bagel w/peanut butter
L: Grilled Chicken grinder (cheese, lettuce, tomatos, onions, olive oil)
D: I don't know.

I've been extremely upset the last few days; really doom and gloom and worrying myself to death. I need to learn how to stop worrying about the future. Everything will be alright, but it feels like FOREVER and that makes me upset. I feel like a loser for living with my fiance's parents while others are doing so much better than us. I said last night "I can't wait for this to be over" and Justin said, "it's only gonna get harder". Wrong thing to say. I don't know how he can go through all these troubles and be so perfectly happy!

Speaking of him, he switched from ACME iced tea to homemade iced tea with Splenda and lost 10 lbs!

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Thu May 22, 2008 4:12 pm

Men are so annoying, of course he lost 10lbs! argh. ha. but Yay! for getting to 143!! thats fantastic and motivating.

I've been feeling crappy myself - last weekend when i was away i was visiting with some long time girl friends from high school. They're all 26, but they're all still in great shape. i know they've had their ups and downs, but I'm the bigger girl in the group. it was a little depressing when we were getting ready to go out, and they could all share pants b/c they're all close enough to each other. but i couldn't even button some of the shirts my friend wanted me to wear AND I'm very small chested, but wide in my back
so discouraging.

but i can completely relate to your situation. My boyfriend of 3 yrs still lives with his Mom, b/c buying a place is not realistic right now and he doesn't want to rent. He lives 40 miles away, works 6 days a week, hates his job - and i only see him once a week. we're usually ok with this situation, but I'm getting to the point when I'm counting down the days until he can leave his current job.(he has to stay until july, long story)

ANYWAY - I'm not binge eating about it, so thats good! and i managed to get up this morning and go to the gym. The last two days were not good food choices (mcdonalds for lunch, huge serving of mac&cheese with dinner)

but i didn't break any of the Nos rules, so my head may not be in the best place, but my actions are still moving along ok. I guess this is the blessing of good habits!!
Amyliz

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Thu May 22, 2008 5:02 pm

Nichole wrote: I feel like a loser for living with my fiance's parents while others are doing so much better than us. I said last night "I can't wait for this to be over" and Justin said, "it's only gonna get harder". Wrong thing to say. I don't know how he can go through all these troubles and be so perfectly happy!
Who are these "others"?

2 out of 3 of my best friend's kids live with her and I am seeing more and more people moving back home.

Justin is right. It IS going to get harder. :(

I'd kill for an Italian hoagie. :)

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Thu May 22, 2008 8:50 pm

My son is 25, graduated last year with a degree in parks, recreation and tourism and can't get a job in that field that pays well enough all year long, so he is now working construction! He hates it and is still looking for other options. He bought a place last spring and then the construction company moved him 2 weeks later and he hasn't been able to live there yet. He lives in a hotel during the week and brings his laundry home on the weekends and stays here with us. (The place he bought is another 70 miles further away.) So, technically, he is still not moved out either. It does take more time now, it seems, for kids (like you, Nichole, and your fiance) to get on their feet than it used to. As long as they're not sitting around playing video games and waiting to win the megabucks so they can move out, I wouldn't worry about it. It'll happen. Let's blame the Bush administration, not the kids. :evil: (Can we say that here?) :)
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Thu May 22, 2008 9:11 pm

Seriously, pretty soon it's going to be an Established Thing that not only kids live at home, but extended families, like in other countries. Maybe even friends.

The American Dream is a hallucination. An hallucination?

Personally, after 17 years of living in the middle of nowhere with no friends or family, I'd welcome the alternative, kinda, sorta...but I think the Extended Family and the Village are also hallucinations.

Just think...after you get over the Indebted Kid years you have the Unemployed Fifties to look forward to. :)

f

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu May 22, 2008 9:53 pm

We're a little OT, bt that's OK.

I just get very down because I think about how we're going to be married and we still haven't a place of our own. I just think about how bad that looks. Everybody who knows we live with his parents has been incredibly understanding, though, so it doesn't make that much sense that I think this way.

And besides 'how it looks,' I just want us to be on our own. We're adults. I hate watching as his brother is planning to get married and they seem to have it all together, while we don't. It stinks. I want to have kids, too! I'd like to have a kid in two or three years. Will we be able to? I don't even know. I hate the uncertain future.

I'm so hungry. I want dinner.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri May 23, 2008 6:38 pm

Well, I was SO negative yesterday!! I feel a lot better today.

Today I was 144 on the scale, so I declare myself 144. :) That means I've lost another pound!!! Took long enough... Now I've lost 4 lbs on No-S and 10 lbs total since January.

Memorial Day weekend is almost here. I have a wedding to go to on Sat, then heading to the Poconos as soon as it's done. I can't wait to spend time with my sis, broinlaw and niece! So much fun. And getting Justin away from the computer will be miraculous. Going to ACME today to get snacks/ingredients for taco dip. Yaaay!

Have a good holiday!

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Fri May 23, 2008 7:03 pm

Nichole wrote: Now I've lost 4 lbs on No-S and 10 lbs total since January.

Memorial Day weekend is almost here. I have a wedding to go to on Sat, then heading to the Poconos as soon as it's done. I can't wait to spend time with my sis, broinlaw and niece! So much fun. And getting Justin away from the computer will be miraculous. Going to ACME today to get snacks/ingredients for taco dip. Yaaay!

Have a good holiday!
YAAAY indeed!!!!!

f

Nossuzy

Post by Nossuzy » Mon May 26, 2008 6:33 pm

Hey to everyone. Hope everyone is hanging in there and doing well... I am still just lurking trying to decide what I want to commit to. I know it sounds stupid but I need to see results to stick to something..

Hope everyone is having a nice Memorial Day. And Nichole, don't worry, I have been through a lot with my husband losing his job a couple of times and somehow something always happens and we find the money to pay the mortgage, etc. You guys will figure it out! I felt like a loser too when we rented and all my friends had houses.. It's hard.... But something always works out!