Shirls night eating check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Shirls

Shirls night eating check in

Post by Shirls » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:39 am

Thanks to Jazzys Mom's encouragement I have made two nights without the bedtime munchies. And no nightmares either 8)
This No S diet is doing wonders for my self esteem.
Don't wait for the storm to be over - learn to dance in the rain.

Shirls

Post by Shirls » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:06 am

Tuesday night: success :D

Shirls

Post by Shirls » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:19 pm

Wednesday night: failure. Ah woe is me. Ate three digestive biscuits and a cup of cocoa at bedtime. Mainly because I went to bed far too late.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:28 pm

In the beginning I used have a sugar free hot cocoa in the evening when the munchie monster just wouldn't listen to reason. After I was into the no-s for a while and was feeling stronger I was able to give the cocoa all together. I still have tough nights, but nothing that I can't handle. I never did feel guilty about the cocoa, after all it was waaaay better than what I was used to consuming from 7 to 10PM, but I always knew it would eventually have to go. It does get easier but sometimes cold turkey doesn't work.

Good luck!
Dawn

Shirls

Post by Shirls » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:31 pm

Thursday night: failure again - skim milk cocoa but no biscuits.
Friday Night: as above. What is it with this hot milky drink lark? I never used to touch the stuff. Must be the cold weather coming on. So tonight I'll try citrus soother, a rooibos tea with a hint of orange and lemon. Let's see if it's just the hot drink I need :roll:

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Ya know I think that calling it a failure when you only have a "drink", isn't a good idea. Having that hot drink only is 100% better than what you were doing and I think you should allow yourself to call it a successful day. I think after you rack up several successful days and then weeks of just this one tiny vice, you will then have the strength to take it to the next level.

I am super proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!

PS (and I am hard to impress, I am not going to be one of those people who says "there, there Deary, you will do better next time". I honestly think you are doing great now)
Dawn

Shirls

Post by Shirls » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:38 pm

Oh Dawn, thanks for that :D I'd just love to see a green week. So I'll allow the bedtime drink for a week if I feel I must and move on. I love these forums - I've never met such a pleasant bunch of people in one place.

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:00 pm

I agree with Dawn. I don't think the hot drink should be counted as a failure. Heck I had a chocolate milk shake with dinner last night and I didn't count it as a failure because I didn't have it with anything else, and I don't have them very often.
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:08 pm

Shirls wrote:Wednesday night: failure. Ah woe is me. Ate three digestive biscuits and a cup of cocoa at bedtime. Mainly because I went to bed far too late.
Shirls, I agree with Dawn and everyone else; you are making wonderful progress!

I'm so relieved to see I'm not the only person struggling with night-time munchie attacks. <whew> Even though I deliberately plan dinner for 6:30 or 7pm, I still want to eat come 9pm! It's so frustrating, but I guess with what seems like a thousand years of night-time snacks under my belt (figuratively, since I refuse to wear belts until I get thinner), I suppose that long-entrenched habits are more difficult to overcome. At least I hope that's the case, 'cause I'd like to know there's a light at the end of the snack-attack tunnel.

Diane :cry:
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

Shirls

Post by Shirls » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:20 pm

Oy Diane, what's a belt? Oh yes that long leather thing that's been hanging on a hook on my closet door for the last few years. One day soon I'll have to wear it to stop my pants from falling down. I will now forever associate it with not night snacking :D
I'm sure I won't want to snack tonight even though I can: my S day dessert has left me feeling rather full.

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:33 pm

Hey, Shirls: here's to "falling down pants"! May we all need a whole assortment of different belts one day!

Diane :wink:
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!