irish check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

irish

irish check in

Post by irish » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:23 pm

When you're going for 21 days, do you only count no s days, or do the weekends count, too? I've been successfully nosing for 14 days now, counting s's, and feel great and really on top of things. It's wonderful not to have to think of "dieting" per se.

irish

Post by irish » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:28 pm

n days perfect, s days not so good.

Terez

Post by Terez » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:47 pm

Not sure if there's such a thing as "S days not so good" -- everything is allowed on S days!

If it didn't feel so great to eat the way you did, then eat differently next weekend. That doesn't make it a not-so-good day. If it was an S day, you were on-plan because S-days are exempt.

As for the 21-days question, there's a separate thread about that and it probably has the answer there.

Terez

irish

Post by irish » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:30 am

Back to n days. leftover pasta and toast for breakfast, 2 pieces of pizza & salad for lunch, popcorn for dinner - can I lose weight on that?

irish

Post by irish » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:26 pm

21 days straight - with s days not too good. I'm looking forward to May - I want to have a perfect month. Give me some support.

irish

Post by irish » Mon May 19, 2008 10:41 pm

Am going to try to post every day - maybe I should make a habitcal calendar for that?!

8:15 o.j., 1/3 canteloupe, 1 large piece of toast with small amt butter, 2 pieces bacon
12:30 - 3/4 c. salad with lt. dressing, 1/3 c. asparagus with butter, 1 lg. c. casserole, 1 c. skim milk
5p.m. popcorn - 4c, 2T unsalted peanuts

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon May 19, 2008 11:19 pm

irish,

how is your May going????????
sending you support,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

irish

Post by irish » Wed May 21, 2008 11:44 pm

May is going very well. My nosdays are perfect, and my s days are much better. Portion control would help, but that will come, too - I'm optimistic and thrilled that this is working.
May 20 meals:
breakfast - ww eng. muffin with 2 T peanut butter, 1/2 banana, oj, 1/3 canteloupe
lunch (my main meal) 1 c. beef stroganoff (made with light sour cream) asperabus with butter, salad with lt. dressing, skim milk
dinner: popcorn
May 21:
breakfast - 1 egg, 2 pieces bacon, ww toast, oj
lunch - baked sweet potato with butter, asparagus with butter, fried tilapia, skim milk
I guess I could cut out the butter, but it really tastes good, and it's lt butter.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu May 22, 2008 1:57 am

May is going very well. My nosdays are perfect, and my s days are much better.
Irish,
that is great to hear!
Portion control would help, but that will come, too - I'm optimistic and thrilled that this is working.
my portion control is starting to get better! it does seem to be something that comes naturally as we continue on with NO S - and yes is absolutely THRILLING that it works!

Blueskighs

irish

Post by irish » Thu May 22, 2008 7:36 pm

May 22
breakfast - 2 sm. sausage patties, english muffin
lunch - Wendy's jr rst beef, sm ham & swiss, 10 curly fries
dinner - popcorn
Not too nutritious a day - tomorrow had better be better.

irish

Post by irish » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:52 pm

I'm going to really try to stick with checking in. (I kind of think of it as "diet" thing and don't want to do it.)

Breakfast: healthy cereal, 1 peach, a few blueberries, 1/2 & 1/2 (a real splurge, but I wanted to use it up) oj, 1/2 ww Eng. muffin with peanut butter, coffee
Lunch: salad with 1 T. blue cheese dressing ww pasta primavera, stirfried veggies (the garden's overflowing) milk
Dinner: 1/2 bag butter light popcorn

Exercise 45 min. Leslie Sansonne workout

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:40 am

I guess it is kind of a diet thing. It amuses me b/c I can actually REMEMBER a whole day's meals... which I can't on most diets. On WW, we had to write everything down right then. So, it feels minimal to me. Also, I like having a reference for those "I can't think of anything to cook" days.

But if you don't like it, it's really not obligatory. You might do just fine with the Habitcal alone... or nothing.

Or you might start finding it fun. ;)

At any rate, hope you enjoy whatever you decide. (Don't know about you, but sometimes just giving myself a CHOICE is enough to change my attitude.)

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:02 pm

Great to see another popcorn lover!! I had popcorn - a huge bowl of air popped with real butter and salt for lunch last Saturday. I was hesitant to eat it as a meal on an N day because I eat more than a plateful in one sitting. How much popcorn do you eat as an N day meal?

Also, I too enjoy Leslie Sansone walking videos. I haven't been good about doing them lately though, trying to establish habit and then work in the exercise. And this heat makes me not want to work out at all.

Keep up the great work!
m

irish

Post by irish » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:10 pm

Breakfast: organic granola, fruit, a few pecan pieces, oj, coffee 1/2 ww eng. muf with p. butter (I could probably cut out the eng. muffin with p. butter, but I'm always hungry in the morning & I love breakfast.) I didn't always like whole wheat products, but blue suggested trying to gradually work them in, & I'm beginning to enjoy them. (Thanks, blue)
Lunch: blt on ww bread, lite mayo, cucs, tomato, cottage cheese, watermelon
Dinner: popcorn

We have popcorn every night for dinner - have our main meal at noon. We use pop weaver butter light, and I have 1/2 bag, about 3 c. at most.

exercise 1 hr. Leslie Sansonne walk. Besides the ac, I use a ceiling fan and a fan at my face, and I still sweat a lot. I do them 5, sometimes 6 times a week and can definitely see results.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:10 pm

thanks for the details on the popcorn irish!

mel1974c

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:59 pm

Thanks, blue
your welcome :)
We have popcorn every night for dinner
I thought my husband was the only that did that!

Irish, sounds like you are doing good,

Blueskighs

irish

Post by irish » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:54 pm

breakfast: 1 egg, 2 bacon, ww Eng muffin, oj, sm. amount of cheese, coffee, plum (yes, it all fit on one plate- I put the bacon on top of the muffin, then the egg, then a small amount of cheese)
lunch: bean burrito (ww flour tortilla), 1/2 c. rice (not brown- I still have some white rice in my cupboard but am trying to move to all brown), salad, milk, watermelon, v-8 juice
dinner: popcorn, 2 1/2 vodka tonics

exercise: 45 min. Leslie Sansonne with weights

irish

Post by irish » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:00 pm

Thursdays are eat out & shopping days
breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 sausage links, 3 sm. pancakes (Iconsider pancakes like bread)
lunch: roast beef & asiago cheese wrap

irish

Post by irish » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:08 am

breakfast: fiber 1, blueberries, milk, oj, 1/2 ww Eng. muf, pnut butter
lunch: tilatia, potatoes, summer squash, milk
dinner: popcorn, 3 Manhattens

exercise: 45 min. walking aerobics with weights

A good week. I really don't have trouble during the week & try to eat somewhat healthily. Am maintaining my weight - 125.5 pounds (I'm 5'6" and very small boned & 67 yrs. old) Weekends are still a challenge for me - zucchini bars with cream cheese frosting are calling my name.

irish

Post by irish » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:29 pm

Saturday -
breakfast: 1 egg, o.j. ww Eng. muffin 1/2 piece rye bread, cheese, 1/2 peach
While cooking: generous tastes of macaroni salad(I now know one of the ways I gain weight - "tasting" my cooking. Since I now count that as snacking, my calorie count is down.) Also generous tastes of cream cheese frosting, plus 1 zucchini bar
lunch: boca burger, ww eng. muffin, macaroni salad, pot. chips(Salt & pepper kind, a treat) 2 sm. zuc. bars
Snack: 6 dark choc. m & m's
Dinner: popcorn, 2 more zucc. bars (you'd think I'd get sick of them!)
Snack: pistachios
All in all, a somewhat perma-snacking day. But I did exercise - 45 min. Leslie Sansonne

Sunday: (still somewhat full from yesterday)

Breakfast: 2 eggs, eng. muffin, dry, with jam
Snack: 1/2 sm. zucc. bar
Dinner: Chicken a la king on 1 1/2 biscuits, salad, milk, 1 small zucc. bar
Snack: popcorn
Obviously, Sunday was much better than Sat. partly because I planned a meal for Sun. that I really love and didn't want to be too full to enjoy. Will remember that next weekend.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:48 pm

Irish,

sounds like you are doing good,

just want to let you know I'll be taking a check in break but still nosing,

Blueskighs

irish

Post by irish » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:16 pm

Monday:
breakfast: dchicken a la king, oj, biscuit, coffee
lunch: taco salad, milk, tortilla chips

irish

Post by irish » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:31 pm

Tuesday -
breakfast: peach, blueberries, yoghurt, sm. amt. granola, 1/2 ww eng. muffin with pnut butter
lunch: chicken & stuffing casserole with lots of veggies, salad, milk

irish

Post by irish » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:33 pm

I know that I've missed a few days, but they've been successful days. During the week is relative easy for me, week ends are still a challenge. Today: breakfast: organic granola, blueberries, oj, ww toast with whipped cream cheese, coffee
lunch: red beans on brown rice, salad with low fat dressing, green beans, crumb of babana bread, milk
My weight is holding steady, for which I'm very grateful, and I'm very happy with this plan. Let's see what the weekend brings.

irish

Post by irish » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:11 pm

Exercise - 45 min Leslie Sansonne video
breakfast: oj, 1 scrambled egg, 2 bacon, ww toast, sm. amount Ch. whiz
1 v. small scotcheroo
lunch 2 ritz with cheese, chicken noodle soup, bol. & ch sand. on ww Eng muffin, 1/3 c. ice cream with 1/2 peach, 2 oreos, carrot sticks, milk
dinner: popcorn, 1 Hershey's nugget, Easy Mac with 1 T. lite sr. cr., salsa, handful of s & p pot chips

Big improvement over my perma-snacking (KCCC, I love the term) Sats.
My weight is staying steady at 125 and my eating seems much more stable.

irish

Post by irish » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Sunday wasn't too bad, not quite as good as Sat. Mon. & Tues. back on track. Today -
breakfast: granola, peach, blueb, oj, 1/2 toast coffee
lunch: cheeseburger, 1/2 order onion wings
dinner popcorn

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:10 pm

Wish I could take credit for perma-snacking - I think it's Reinhard's term. (But I love it too. SO descriptive.)

Glad you're doing well. :)