KCCC's check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:59 pm

Random notes.... every now and then, I think I've done really well with teaching my son (age 8 ) about food. Mind you, he's a normal kid who loves treats, and would eat all the sugar I let him have. However, he also knows when he's full.

At the church lunch, he wanted one of the HUGE cinnamon buns available for dessert, and got it. But he also wanted a big bowl of chili because he was hungry (and insisted he could eat it), and knew he had to eat some veggies too.

When he got to the cinnamon bun, he ate about 2/3 of it, then "was done." He wrapped the rest up for a treat later. He likes it, but stops before he feels ill.

Same thing with pie for dessert at a later meal. He ate about half a serving, then said "Please will you save this for me?"

It doesn't matter how much he likes what he's eating, when he's done, he's done. I am learning from watching him.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:10 am

No S
Meditation

Still not sure about exercise - it will be "bedtime yoga" if I do it. I can take an exempt day if I want to, and in honesty am tired and run down. We'll see.

Br - 1/2 bagel w/cream cheese, cafe au lait
L - bagel with toasted cheese, big serving of marinated cucumber and tomato salad.
S - pork chop, quinoa, broccoli/cauliflower mix
Glass of wine

The salad for lunch and the broccoli-cauliflower for dinner came from a veggie tray leftover from a meeting. I still have some carrots to use up, and plan to roast them. :)

Meditation was a guided meditation podcast. Pretty cool.

I missed oatmeal this morning - was hungry early, and ate lunch a bit early. So then I was hungry for supper early! But I held out, and it was VERY satisfying once I cooked it. The quinoa (which I confess is from a package, and has some flavorings) is just wonderful comfort food. Something about grains...

I'll have oatmeal tomorrow, though. Yum!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:31 am

It doesn't matter how much he likes what he's eating, when he's done, he's done. I am learning from watching him.
KCCC,
And how terribly wonderful that you are aware enough to allow him to stop! This makes a win/win for the both of you!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:57 pm

Blue, I do insist on "healthy food first" and there are times when I'll say that he can't have dessert or that he can't have anything else if he doesn't eat what's been served for dinner. (I do try to give choices... there are 3 veggies on the table, pick any two.)

But if he says he's full, he can leave the table. I have too many memories of sitting unhappily over congealing food that I didn't like when it was warm! Plus, I want him to learn to "listen to his body" and how can he learn that if I override it?

No S
Exercise
Meditation

B - oatmeal with trail mix, cafe au lait
L - leftover quinoa with nuts and apricots (the latter was a mistake - flavors did NOT work. I picked them out and ate them separately), banana.

I meant to have an apple too, but it was bad. So I treated myself to an extra latte, which is legal for me and nice in this weather.

D - grilled cheese sandwich, spinach and tortellini soup. The soup was a new recipe, which I don't think I'll make again. (Hm. Better be careful tonight. My failures tend to come after I've not been satisfied with my food for some reason...)
Planning on a glass of wine.

Exercise was Pilates this morning.
Meditation hasn't happened yet, but it will. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:45 pm

Managed a proper No-S Wednesday - which was hard. In my mind, it "felt" like a Friday, and I normally start S-days on Friday at 6PM.

But I managed. :)

Thursday was a full blow-out S-day. I ate normally until The Meal (which was at noon at our house), then went into full perma-snacking mode the rest of the day, nibbling on leftovers as I put them away and even falling into some "Last Supper" pie-eating late at night.

Allowed. Finite. Over.

Today, I had breakfast, got in a good walk, and have meals planned. Some leftovers for lunch, and the turkey carcass is simmering for soup for supper. (Thanks again, Noel, for that great article on making stock!) I will enjoy them.

Hope everyone's T-day was as good as mine. We went to my mom's. She really shouldn't be doing Thanksgiving anymore, but can't let it go, so my sisters and I have gently but firmly bullied her into letting us bring most of the difficult dishes and doing most of the set up and clean up. Both my sisters were there with their families, minus one grown nephew who couldn't make it, plus my sister's mother-in-law.

It is really lovely to look around at all my family and realize how much I LIKE all these people - and that I would even if I weren't related to them. :) I am truly blessed.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:25 pm

Ahhh nice stuff KCCC! :wink:
Have a great day!
Bless,
8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:23 am

Exercise
No-S

Br - small roll and turkey, cafe au lait
L - Salad, squash, turkey, dressing and gravy (I love leftovers!)
D - bowl of turkey-rice soup, salad, roll
2 glasses of wine

The rest of the group had fresh-baked apple pie, made by yours truly... and I wasn't even tempted. This is heavier food than usual, and I'm still feeling a bit stuffed. I liked having an N-day today.

And I didn't even start my S-day at 6, as I normally do. My body needs time to clear out some of this stuff.

Got in a good walk this morning. I love walking.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:54 pm

Saturday - an S-day - was mindless eating at its worst. I don't even want to report it. And I didn't exercise, either.

Today, I have already done 15 minutes of stretching. A better start to the day.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:35 pm

Hahah!! KCCC, it happens to us all on some S days.
Don't worry about "reporting it".
It's still okay. Tomorrow is a new N day. :wink:

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:16 pm

Sunday turned out to be a moderate S-day. A dessert after lunch and dinner, but that's it. Nice - and reassuring. Habits will take over time. :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:48 pm

That's good to hear!
Yes, you eventually learn naturally to curb the excess on S days KCCC..
Funny, last night before N days hit, we decided to go and get a few candy bars. So I'm there thinking, lets get two king size somethings, and share them half and half..
Would you believe that after each of us had our two twix bars (a king size is four bars/cookies) we decided that was plenty, and the other candy bar is still sitting in my glove compartment cos we had enough and stopped naturally.
Gotta say, I'm thrilled at that. Even surprised me. My old habit brain was all ready to chow down on too much, where as my new tastebuds said, "Wow this is plenty for me..thats enough now.. lets stop"

Coolness!
Have a wonderful week!
Bless,
8) Debs

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:03 am

Lovely, Deb! You should post it on the "proud moments" thread.

Br - oatmeal, trail mix, cafe au lait
L - turkey and rice, tiny bit of broccoli, apricots
D - salmon, peas and carrots, cous-cous, peaches
Glass of wine

Had one taste at the grocery store... I am not considering it a failure. A while back, I realized that my cooking "tastes" were really snacks because "I know what cheese tastes like." If I know what it tastes like, it's a snack.

However, the converse is also true - there are times when it is just a taste. There was a sample of chorizo at the grocery store, and I DIDN'T know what it tasted like, so I took one single piece. I didn't buy it (too spicy), but I consider it legitimate. (Just to be sure, I was careful to "virtual plate" it at dinner.)

And my stock story...

A while back, I became enamored of the idea of making stock, in part through resources provided by Noel. So, I snagged the turkey carcass from Thanksgiving, brought it home in a cooler, and the next day proceeded to make stock.

First, I have no stockpot. I do, however, have a canner, so I used that. I didn't think it would matter, as long as it was big enough to hold the turkey. In no time, the turkey bones were simmering with a couple of carrots, an onion, etc.

It simmered most of the day, until I reached the point where I wanted to use some of it for turkey-rice soup. That's where the fun began... I knew to strain it (to get the bones and other debris out), and had a colander lined with cheesecloth... NOTHING big enough to hold the strained product. So, I filled bowl after bowl of burning-hot stock... the kitchen was full of them, and I was running out of places to put them!

Has anyone read Streganona, the charming children's story (based on an even older story) about the pasta pot that wouldn't stop? I felt my canner-stock-pot was distantly related to that pasta pot.

Eventually, I strained it all and got the few cups I needed for my soup. (And, had I thought, I would have just DIPPED IT OUT. Doh moment!) But there was tons of the stuff... so I put it back into the canner and let it simmer longer, hoping it would reduce.

Some. Maybe. A minute amount.

At any rate, I froze about 24 cups of stock, had some for soup, and threw away a bunch. It never did "gel" in the fridge. I suspect I didn't cook it long enough, or had too much water to start with - the fat shape of the canner holds more liquid than a tall, elegant stockpot would.

So, maybe it's not the best stock. But at least I won't be buying broth again anytime soon!

The next day, I cooked up another turkey (fresh, bought at deep discount after T-day), boned it, and froze the meat. THOSE bones went in the trash - I was DONE.

(... for a while, anyway. I suspect there will be more to this story at some point.)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:17 am

The right water to bone ratio is to break up the bones and merely cover them with the water.

But yeah, I'd be done for a bit, too, after that fiasco.

I make chicken stock in my 3qt crock pot. I use my big pasta pot with the strainer insert if I'm making a larger stock, say, from a turkey or the bones of more than one chicken.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:41 am

Some things you just gotta learn the hard way. Oh well. :) Perhaps I should have started with chicken, and not been so ambitious as to grab the turkey. (The next day was equally over-the-top with my discount turkey. It was BIG. Much bigger than I normally cook. Suffice it to say, I will NOT cook another that size again. I draw a curtain over the rest. It was another cooking adventure.)

Got in exercise last night after posting - not much, just 15 minutes of yoga-stretches before bed. But it's SOMETHING, so I get credit.

And I meditated. I am slowly working toward making that a regular practice. HabitCal really helps.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:44 pm

KCCC,

I can relate to your stock story, I have definitely had days like that in the kitchen and they are the least to say, discouraging. Ah well, when you are ready to go back at it again you will be that much more the wiser :wink: I find cooking to be a very "experiential" task ... but I do get mopey when it doesn't go well,

Blueskighs

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:45 pm

Tuesday was not a good day in terms of habits.

I got up at 5:00 AM to leave by 6 for a meeting in another city. When I got back, I had another session at 6:15 PM. So, I essentially worked from 5 AM to 9:30 PM.

That meant no time to exercise. I didn't fit in meditation, either. I did eat - in the now-classic pattern that I recognize too well. Treats were sitting at the sideboard, and I managed to resist them for hours, then cracked after lunch (which was NOT great). Same at dinner, which was provided at our meeting - I chowed down on the candy strewn across the meeting table after eating.

And then I gave up and had more junk after I got home. Could have been worse. Could have been MUCH better.

Br - 1/2 bagel w/cream cheese (eaten in the car) and cafe au lait
L - grilled chicken salad (rather an awful one)
SNACK - 3 small donuts
D - spinach wrap and fruit (good, but not enough - it was late, I was starving, etc.)
SNACK/SWEETS at meeting - Hershey's miniatures (6?)
SNACK/SWEETS at home - Rolo's chocolates (6?) and cashews (1/2 cup?)

Most of the time, I operate in a very "No-S Friendly Environment," because I have made it so. I have learned to ignore goodies in the break room down the hall, and the only snack foods in my home or office are out of sight (and thus, out of mind). So, being trapped in a "obesogenic environment" (is that the term?) when I'm already under stress is a difficult place for me. I don't know how to approach it, but I need to find a way, since my job includes a lot of high-level meetings with snacks provided.

Mark it and move on. I have identified the problem, and that's the beginning of change. (Now I'm in "looking for strategies" mode.)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:57 pm

I take it tea or coffee isn't enough?
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:27 pm

KCCC,

when you are having these long days in "obesogenic" environments are you getting any breaks? There is studies that we operate on natural 90 minute cycles and then we need a break. Unfortunately it is not usually possible to take a break every 90 minutes but sometimes one break can do wonders ... 20 minute breaks are the best but often that is not possible either ... is there anyway that in these moments you can "escape" for 10-15 minutes and sit or lie down somewhere and not necessarily meditate but just close your eyes and relax? I have a watch with a timer for such occasions.

I discovered this "technique" by reading the Psychobiology of Gene Expression by Ernest Rossi. Sometimes meditation is "too formal" sometimes your mind needs to just rest and "do nothing" I have found this to be incredibly rejuvenating and when you allow yourself to do it ... as nurturing as food and more nourishing ...

don't know if there is any way you can squeeze something like that in at these times,

good luck,

Blueskighs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:27 pm

Oh my God!!! That's brilliant KCCC!!

*Obesogenic environment* I love that phrase!!!! Someone please include it in the New Webster's NoS Dictionary!

Yes, mark it and move on. It was a good learning experience.

Next time, pretend you are in a movie and you are the protagonist in some Science fiction plot where all the "Obesogenic" aliens are trying to sabotage you with their "eye candy"..
Totally put up your force fields and set them on maximum force!!

And arm yourself too.. Noel brings up a good point. I think when we have something *already* in our hands, like a big mug of coffee or tea or some nice bottled water, we have half of the problem solved.

You can continue the Science fiction movie plot by imagining that this is a magical "Super powered" anti Obesogenic beverage and that drinking this alone will help you win against the Obesogenoids!
hahahaha!
Good for you again in just marking and moving on!
*Everyone* has days like this when they are on the road of success :wink:
Love,
8) Debs

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:31 am

I cannot tell you all how much I appreciate your support. You guys rock!

Blue, the meeting on Tuesday was a retreat that I was co-facilitating. So, got there early to set up, the only "breaks" were bathroom breaks and snack breaks. We even had a working lunch. (It's the culture - that part was not fully in my control.) That's kind of typical - I'm not always in charge, but there just are not long breaks. It just so happened that this was a day when my worlds collided, and a separate project ALSO had a Big Event scheduled for the evening. Such is life. Fortunately, it's not usually THAT intense. (And I could do some deep breathing, right?)

Noel, I tend to do okay with drinks for a while, but it's like I have limited resistance and use it up. And other minor disappointments (like a lunch that wasn't what I'd hoped for) will tip the balance quickly. Also, the coffee is usually pretty nasty. (For the record, I HATE powdered "creamer." Why do people serve that stuff??)

Deb, I'd love to take credit for obesogenic, but it came from
this thread. But I love your Science Fiction take on it!! How funny - and maybe that's what I need. To see the humor instead of feeling like I'm in a battle of wills that I'm losing.

You all are great. And the HabitCal/log combo has at least highlighted this as a very specific issue that I need to address.

I'm thinking that PLANNING a super-special dinner on days that are tough would help. Knowing that I have something to look forward to...

Dunno. I'll think on it, and garner wisdom from everyone here.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:22 am

This has not been the best week.

Today was dentist appointments and the local Christmas parade. We ate out, and I think my portion actually counted as seconds. Hmph. I'm debating on whether to make it red, or to note it and say "if I do that again, it's a red."

I did meditate, and that did help.

I have not exercised. It's a hard week for that.

Br - 1/2 bagel with cream cheese, cafe au lait
L - black bean soup with cheese and chips in it, apple
D - ate out. Big hamburger (1/3 lb). I ordered a salad on the side, but it turned out to be iceberg lettuce, which I dislike. (I should ASK. I get so disappointed when that's what it is.) I ate some of the tomatoes off the top, then swapped for some of my husband's fries - very good, thick-cut ones. But there was a LOT, and I that's where I think I went overboard, since I wasn't exactly tracking.

I think I'll let this one go. There were three people eating two orders of fries... not a great meal, and I WILL count a similar recurrence as red. But this one is borderline, and I feel I have demanded so much of myself of late that I just can't be harsh here.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:53 am

Exercise
No S
Meditation

Br - oatmeal w/trail mix, cafe au lait
L - out, but reasonable - veggie sandwich on whole wheat, with steamed veggies on the side
D - black bean soup with cheese and chips

I exercised - some AM stretches, and a short walk later. Either would have hit the minimum.

And I meditated. :)

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:36 am

aaaghh, can sympathise with the stock story KCCC - think my first attempt was somewhat similar - and tasted very watery - eeeuuurrrk. :lol: Then I went through a stage of cooking the ruddy thing for hours and ending up with about 2 cups full...Think I've got the balance right now though. It's worth persevering...

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:37 pm

Just. Too. Busy.

Haven't posted in a while, partly b/c of life being crazy and partly because I hate, hate, hate admitting failure.

But I'm putting in on the Habitcal and moving on. There's actually more yellows than reds. There would be more reds if I hadn't crossed a weekend and not only had S-days but gotten to start my "5 of 7" count over.

With that said
- S-days don't count, but over-the-top ones really don't feel good to me. These FELT like reds.
- I miss exercise, but am having real trouble fitting it in.
- And I even had a failure in meditation. (I ask: How hard can it be to find 5 minutes, which is all I'm asking of myself? I answer: pretty hard right now.)

Today is a new day. So far, green on S.

Breathe. Be present. Be kind - to others, to myself. Enjoy the moments - much of what fills the day are things I CHOSE to do.

Hope everyone else is doing well. Not a lot of time to check in, but sending warm wishes to you all.

KCCC

starflower

Post by starflower » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:01 pm

Hang in there KCCC. You are practically a No S Lifer....and very good luck on your meditation.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:31 am

Thank you, Starflower. (One of the things I love about this site is whenever I need an encouraging word, someone offers it. It really helps!)

Today is better.

Br - egg sandwich, cafe au lait. (Scrambled egg sandwich is one of my childhood comfort foods)
L - PB&J on whole wheat, carrots, fruit salad. (This is an accomplishment, b/c I realized it was a day when I'd have to eat at a meeting and I packed something that I didn't have to heat, etc.)
S - chicken sausage, broccoli, couscous

I have set up beans to soak tonight. Tomorrow morning I'm going to put 15-bean-soup in the crock pot AND set up the breadmaker for whole wheat bread. I'll come home to a feast, already prepared!

I'm off to do my stretches and meditation now. Not a lot, but something is much, much better than nothing.

Betty

Post by Betty » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:24 am

Hi KCCC,

I wanted to post you on your check in because you seem so sane. That is, you've had your ups and downs but have managed, time and again, to get back on track.

I need to get back on track, and wondered if you have any words of wisdom for me?

I have been doing pretty well, some red days, but most often little slip ups, then along comes December (and it's not even holiday eating) and I just fall apart. I've even been binging, which I haven't done in about 6 months. It all feels so out of control.

Any advice? I'd really appreciate it...
Betty
Be your own best friend and advocate. Be gentle and kind to yourself. Your weight is not the problem.

Before: 140
During: 140 (again!)

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:18 pm

Hi Betty,

I am not sure I have "major words of wisdom," but I will tell you what helps me.

First, being gentle with myself. (Btw, I love your sig line on that.) Beating myself up is really NOT helpful - it just makes me feel worse, so I eat more. I try to listen to that "inner voice" and keep it in the same caring tone I would use to speak to another person in my life that I care about. I consciously re-frame "bad stories" and try to encourage myself where I can. (I've used some writing techniques to help with that.)

Along that line, it works better for me to set positive goals rather than negative ones. Examples: Drink more water. Eat more vegetables. Find a non-food treat today.

Similarly, I do best on S-days when I have my three meals and plan for GREAT, SPECIAL treats... rather than inhaling everything in my path. That one, I'm still learning... but there are lots of opportunities to practice! ;)

I've figured out "what works for me" in terms of exercise (I like classes best) and have identified some "defaults" when I can't do my classes. So, I have a range of options. And when I don't implement them, the HabitCal makes me face that. I believe in "failing fast" - that is, get it OVER WITH before I do too much damage. I also try to set my goals at "optimum" rather than "perfect" levels (something that has been a major take-away from No-S for me). Most of my non-eating goals are set at "5 days out of 7" levels.

I also do a lot of other things to keep me relatively sane. I make time for friends, etc. I journal each morning. (I recommend "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron as a primer on keeping a journal). I write stream-of-consciousness stuff for 3 pages (these are half-size pages) and end with 10 affirmations. The writing helps me tune in to myself, and the affirmations are encouraging. Those change, depending on the shape of my life, but some of them stick around. One I use regularly is "I make choices that are good for my body and spirit." I have found that when I write those things often enough, they bubble up when I need them.

And with all that, I still get buried and off-center... but I have a strong sense of where center is, and WANT to get back to it. Today, I have meditated already, and set up my dinner, and have a slot for exercise scheduled, so I am feeling better. The very best cure for a slip is to get back on track. All that guilt about the past is best channeled into future resolve!

I do hope some of this helps. I wish you the best. My advice for you would be to celebrate every success, no matter how small. :)

Cheers,

KCCC

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:13 pm

PS - Betty, I'm very flattered that you consider me "sane." Right now, my life feels fairly crazy, so it's nice to hear that at least I present the semblance of sanity! ;)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:34 am

No S
Exercise
Meditation

L - Leftover sausage, couscous, and broccoli, tangerine
S - Bean soup and bread

So far, so good... except
Late night SNACK - bread and butter and cookie dough

I'm up late at night, making cookies for an event tomorrow (not my idea)... planned a bit of relaxation and got a phone call from someone who had to vent... you get the picture. Sigh. Tomorrow is another day.

Did do my kick-butt exercise class, at least. I will be sore tomorrow! And did real meditation.

It could be worse. I nibbled a bit of dough, and ate a hunk of homemade bread (very good, btw), but I didn't dive face-first into the cookies. Sometimes, "less failure" is the best I can do.

kccc

21 days of savoring the holidays...

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:50 pm

(Posted on the main board too.)

This has been a hard month for me in terms of compliance. Last year was not as hard, if I'm recalling correctly.

I'm trying to figure out what's different.

Part of it is stress, pure and simple. Don't want to write an essay on it, but it's extensive. However, it's mostly GOOD STUFF (transitioning to a new job) and STUFF I CHOSE (holiday events with friends), so I can't really complain - especially when I read about some of the genuine, not-so-good stress some of the board members are experiencing. Overall, my life is good. There's just too much going on right now.

So. What am I going to do?

First, I took time to take in the wisdom here. The recent thread about convincing your emotional self that you're taking care of it was especially useful. And I really appreciate Betty asking my advice on my check-in thread, because telling her "what helps me" was REALLY useful for me. One of the reasons I post here so much is that it helps me to do so!

So, I'm going back to Vanilla No-S and starting a 21-day challenge now. That sounds hard during the holidays, but it doesn't have to be. I will give myself two NWS-days (Christmas day and the extended family get-together afterward). Other than that, I'm on the vanilla plan.

And - most importantly - I'm going for GOOD vanilla. (Like "real" vs. "imitation," for those of you who cook.) I'm going to plan the best, most satisfying meals I can dream up for a while. If I plan, I can eat fast-but-good meals by spending a bit on ingredients (shrimp comes to mind)... and it will still be cheaper than eating out!

That's the plan. I'm going to make being on No-S during the holidays the most enjoyable, wonderful experience possible.

Anyone else up for the 21-day Special Holiday edition of Vanilla No-S with an extra emphasis on enjoyment?

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:43 am

No S
Meditation
Exercise

Br - bagel w/cream cheese, cafe au lait
L - out at a favorite restaurant. Teriyaki tofu wrap (veggies and tofu in a pita), broccoli with spicy peanut sauce, coffee. A big plate, but one plate.
D - salmon, corn, cauliflower, and a slice of homemade bread

Exercise - yoga sequence. I've discovered the Yoga Journal podcasts, so that's something to enjoy for a bit.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:25 am

No S
Exercise
Meditation

L - bean soup, bread, tangerine
S- grilled cheese sandwiches, spinach salad with mandarin oranges and pecans
2 glasses wine - but NO cookies, even though I was up late baking again. (Yes, I know, I could buy them to take to the departmental lunch... but...)

All good. :)

Exercise was morning stretches with some Pilates. Glad to fit it in.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:59 am

Wow!!! Amazed at your will power!
Counting down to the weekend with you!
Good work on your successful day KCCC!
Peace,
8) Debs x

resting52

Re: 21 days of savoring the holidays...

Post by resting52 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:14 pm

KCCC wrote: And - most importantly - I'm going for GOOD vanilla. (Like "real" vs. "imitation," for those of you who cook.)
Hey KCCC,

What a good example! The real thing instead of tweaking!

Also, wow to baking cookies and not nibbling.

Resting

rpm

Post by rpm » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:39 pm

KCCC,

I am with you on doing a 21 day Special Holiday challenge. I have already planned meals that I will enjoy. Looking forward to a satisfying and tasty meal is how I now nurture myself. This is much better than stuffing any kind of food I can find during the day as a bad form of self-nurturing.
Last edited by rpm on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
René
Taking care of me, one No S Day at a time!

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:59 pm

Thanks, Deb, Resting, and rpm!

My version of "good vanilla" translates to very satisfying and somewhat special (but perfectly no-S) meals. For tonight, I've thawed a pork tenderloin. I try to buy organic meat, which gets kind of pricey, so this is something I usually save "for company." Right now, I and my family are company. :)

I've got it marinating, and will have it with stuffing as a side - a dish I absolutely love but rarely cook. It doesn't have to wait for holiday turkey! I've even thawed some of the broth from my Great Stock-Making (mis)Adventure to cook the stuffing in, so it will be nice and moist, the way I like it.

Knowing that I have such treats in my future, eating junk seems much less attractive.

jessdr

Re: 21 days of savoring the holidays...

Post by jessdr » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:10 pm

KCCC wrote:Anyone else up for the 21-day Special Holiday edition of Vanilla No-S with an extra emphasis on enjoyment?
Oh, count me in! I'm up for vanilla and enjoyment!

Speaking of vanilla, since you said you like shrimp, I have a recipe you might like: grilled/broiled shrimp with vanilla bean dipping butter. It sounds weird, but it is GOOD, and feels very special. It was inspired by a lobster dish I had at a restaurant a few years ago. Short version: broil/grill the biggest shrimp you can find with the shells on. Melt a little butter, scrape some vanilla beans from the pod, and stir it in. To eat: pull the shrimp out of the shell and dip!

I'll post a fuller version on my (rarely-updated) food blog.
Diet refugee, trying to get my head back on straight.

whisper2701

Post by whisper2701 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:37 pm

Count me in too! I up for a 21-Day Vanilla No-S and I really like the extra emphasis on enjoyment!

Planning is the one thing that will really help me. The hardest thing for me is to come home from work and try to decide then what's for dinner. This is one of my most vulnerable times of the day for snacking so I need to have it all planned out and just start cooking.

Linda :D

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:09 am

Glad to have you all on board with me! :)

No S
Exercise
Meditation

Br - bagel w/ cream cheese, cafe au lait
L - Holiday party. I filled a plate, and that was that. Let's see - salad, chicken nuggets, a slice of a sandwich wrap, shrimp, a bit of stuffing... One plate. No desserts. I put my cookies on the dessert table and didn't look back, even when I heard "homemade trifle"!
D - pork tenderloin, stuffing, peas and carrots, tangerine slices.
2 glasses wine

I felt thoroughly indulged by supper - and so did my family. And we did eat in the dining room, and shared our "good things that happened today" stories. :)

I have not exercised or meditated (yet, anyway), but I can take a day off legally at this point. So, I think I will.

Excited to see everyone up for the holiday edition. I'm trying to make a list of "things I particularly like" to have... what's on your lists?

I know next week will include shrimp and grits. As good as your recipe sounds, jessdr, I have a hankering for a spiced shrimp and grits recipe that I love. It uses stone-ground grits, which I ADORE, and the whole meal takes only 20 minutes.

Not sure what else. I know I'll have some leftover ham (assuming some is leftover from Sunday's get together), which will make a good meal. As to what else... I have no idea.

Yet. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:44 am

No S

Exercise
Meditation

B- eggs sandwich, cafe au lait
L - here's where it went downhill - making homemade pizzas, running late, hungry. Snacked on pizza ingredients, then ate some trail mix and fruit salad. Eventually ate pizza too, probably more than I needed, plus some Hershey's kisses... then caught myself and stopped. I didn't want to spoil my dinner by snacking all day.
D- Out. A lovely pasta and shrimp dish. I was hungry for it, which was good. Dessert looked lovely, but I was too full after the pasta.
Dessert later at home - slice of pie.

Exercise - 2 mile walk.

Not too bad. I'm giving myself a green on the Non-Idiotic S day calendar. It was borderline because of lunch, but since I stopped early enough to be hungry for supper I'm going to be generous.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:10 am

Today was a red on "non-idiotic" - but could have been worse.

Holiday party for a hobby organization that my husband belongs to, hosted at our house. Though I started with a "regular plate" for a late lunch, I nibbled through the afternoon instead of having discrete meals. And I had multiple desserts (all very good things I genuinely wanted).

I am done. A little stuffed, but not terribly, and very pleased at the way the day went. Nice people, a good gathering, and my husband was so happy to have everyone come over that I feel happy to have been a part of this.

And I sent all the leftover sweets home with other people who were grateful for them. :) That feels good too.

No exercise, but I'm back on the straight and narrow tomorrow.

Betty

Post by Betty » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:56 am

Hi KCCC,

Thanks for the relpy (and for coming to my check in page, too). I think I'm finally climbing out of the hole.

Phew, almost vacation time. Hopefully I can get back on track then, and have time to post... until then... thanks, again

Betty
Be your own best friend and advocate. Be gentle and kind to yourself. Your weight is not the problem.

Before: 140
During: 140 (again!)

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:01 pm

Betty, I visited your thread again. Hang in there! Take babysteps toward where you want to go - they add up.

Got up this morning and exercised. Go me! :)

Menu for the day - will report any deviations tonight.

Br - PB&J on homemade whole wheat bread, milk, cafe au lait (I was making PB&J for my lunch, and it looked so good I decided to have it for breakfast too! It amazes me how the quality of ingredients change a PB&J - I use "real" PB, and with this bread it's SO yummy!)
L - PB&J, banana, spinach salad with goat cheese (the cheese is my "No-S indulgence" - one of those things I love but rarely buy)
D - Some great leftovers - Ham, stuffing, peas and carrots, canned peaches

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:01 pm

Yesterday - did not get any exercise (another long day) or meditate. I'm out of excuses this week on exercise.

I did stick to No-S. That feels good.

Br - PB&J on homemade bread, cafe au lait
L - Out. McAllisters pizza on a sort of cracker crust. Very good. I left a few pieces b/c it was a big plate, and b/c I also had a side of fruit.
D - ham sandwich on homemade bread, spinach salad with chevre.

For today so far (updated in the evening)
B - oatmeal, banana, nuts, cafe au lait
L - same as yesterday's dinner. Yum!
D - Chicken quesadillas, more salad with nuts and chevre.
Glass of wine.

I am so glad I bought that cheese. A little on my salad or sandwich makes me feel SO indulged. And right now I need it - my car died unexpectedly on Monday night, and life is just too full. (Fortunately, it was just the battery and has been fixed - mostly just a hassle as I had to be jumped off, get it to the mechanic to be diagnosed, etc.) Christmas is not ready... life is full.

But I'm following routines, and THAT HELPS!

== update in the evening
I got in a walk, and my meditation. :) Right now, my exercise is at "minimum compliance," but I accept that. Just keeping the habit in place is an accomplishment, and I choose to celebrate that I'm managing this much rather than beating myself up because it isn't more. It's truly as much as I can do.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:10 am

No S
Exercise (walk)
Meditation

Br - bagel w/PB and banana, cafe au lait
L - turkey on homemade bread, salad with chevre and nuts, banana
D- tortellini with pesto, cut-up fruit
wine

Still too busy.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:13 am

Lost track for a few days... Friday was "good" until 6, when I start my S-days (and still pretty good - an extra slice of pizza, and some chocolate), and I had a good "return to N at 6" today. Today was a normal breakfast, an extra big lunch with dessert, and that was it until normal supper.

Saturday, OTOH, earned me a "red" on my "Don't Be An Idiot" habitcal. Oh well. My own fault for not planning a good proactive treat in advance.

I did get in a real walk on both days, which is good. :) Missed exercise on Friday, so one red for exercise last week.

Life is still busy, but not quite as crazed. Class is over, and grades are in. Christmas is CLOSE to done. Immediate family is done, but some extended family may be late. C'est la vie. We'll do our best.

Still have to clean out my office, which is a HUGE task - much larger than I'd like it to be. But I have some time planned for it, so it will be okay.

I am writing the wonderful advice of Thich Nhat Hanh - "Smile, breathe, and go slowly" - at the top of my to-do list each day. It helps tremendously.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:56 pm

Monday 12/22

Exercise
No S
Meditation

Low-level compliance - meditation tape at bedtime, 15 minutes of AM stretching. Better than nothing.

And I ate decently, despite being in a situation that would normally send me into a stress-eating spiral.

B - scrambled egg sandwich, cafe au lait
L - chicken, rice w/turkey and veg in it, salad w/chevre and nuts
D - salmon burgers, salad, fruit slices (apples and pears)
wine

So far today...

B- oatmeal with nuts, cafe au lait
L - reprise of yesterday

No exercise... yet.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:37 pm

Finishing out yesterday.... Dinner was "one plate" at my favorite "food bar" at the local organic grocery. Mostly salad and tofu, and all very good. (I love the way they make tofu - mine doesn't taste as good. And their salad bar has delicious things that I wouldn't buy for an at-home salad, at least not all-at-once. Artichokes, roasted red peppers, baby corn, both field greens and spinach, and other yummy, tasty tidbits.)

I did not exercise or meditate, but that's okay. It was a long hard day, and I chose to take time to indulge myself by making a trip to my favorite yarn store - which I have been meaning to get to for MONTHS, literally. I got the needles I needed for a planned project, then just wandered around looking at all the lovely yarns and patterns. The colors and textures were such a delight.

And I just enjoyed the wonderful atmosphere. This particular shop is in a converted barn, and there's a big open space with rockers and couches that is meant to be a gathering place for people to bring their work and chat. So there were ongoing conversations that I could participate in... or not.. as I chose - sociable without being demanding. The whole trip was very relaxing and enjoyable, which was EXACTLY what I needed. (A special blessing to my spouse, for giving me "the night off" so I could go. And then when I got home, I found that in addition to childcare, he'd done some major organizing in the spare room... what a good guy.)

So yesterday was a day off exercise, but I have already done shovelglove this morning. :) Very good feeling to have that checked off. Will report back on food, etc. later.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas Eve and a Merry Christmas (or Happy Hanukkah, or Solstice, or whatever winter holiday holds family and love and cheer for you).

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:51 am

Christmas eve...

I don't know how many times I told myself today that "This is not an S-day." (Tomorrow AND the day after are, but not today.)

Br - bagel w/pb and banana, cafe au lait
L - ham and cheese quesadilla, salad with the last of the chevre and nuts
S - Panera. I had "you choose two" broccoli and cheese soup and orchard harvest salad, and left half the soup. Did eat the baguette though.
Wine

The trouble is that Panera was MUCH earlier than I usually eat supper, and now I'm starving. Well, of course I'm not - I eat too regularly to really be starving. I'm hungry, that's all. But... that's okay. And it will be bedtime soon anyway.

Glad I exercised. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:59 pm

Christmas and Boxing Day (which is our extended-family Christmas) were both over-the-top. Though today is Saturday, and thus technically an S-day, I don't want it to be. I'm ready for regular eating!

So, I'll have an S-day with a strong emphasis on "sometimes."

And I've already walked today - go, me! And I did stretches yesterday, before we got in the car. :) Not a lot, but something... I think of low-level compliance as just "habit maintenance." It helps. It all helps, because it keeps me facing the direction in which I want to go.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:21 pm

Saturday was an S-day, but a relatively tame one. Couple of treats, real meals.

Today is the same, thus far. And I exercised this morning.

Tomorrow I'm back on N-days.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:26 pm

Dec. 28

No S
Exercise

Went to an art exhibit in the next town with family and friends. Our tickets were for 11, which meant we had lunch was nearly 2:00. I was quite hungry, and was probably pushing "seconds" on my one plate... but I am letting it pass, since it was a plate. However, I was so stuffed that I nearly skipped supper. I decided that I needed to eat something light, just so that I would clearly "have supper" and not fall off because "I haven't had supper!" About 8:00, I was actually ready for it.

L - Full Southern Meal - baked chicken with dressing and gravy, butter peas, mixed veg, biscuit. (It doesn't sound so bad written out, but it was a LOT of chicken/dressing/gravy).
S - cream of broccoli soup (from a package - and I won't buy it again), 3 crackers, and a small palmful of nuts.
Wine

Exercise was stretches, both AM and PM (neck hurt from driving, so did some yoga stretches.)

Dec. 29 (thus far)

Br - egg sandwich, cafe au lait
L - salad, crackers, cheese, fruit
S - planning on waffles, to test out my new maker. We'll see.

Exercise - stretches plus a walk. Go, me! :)

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:34 pm

Hi there! I was just reading one of your old posts about your son saving his food for later when he was full. It's amazing, isn't it, how we are actually born to know when we're full & when we need food, but we mess it up! I've really tried not to push my kids to clean their plates & they are all naturally a healthy weight....they just stop when they are full. What a concept! They don't seem to eat when they are bored or sad or mad...just when they are hungry. Again...amazing.

Anyway...just wanted to pop in and say "hi"!

Have a great day!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:03 pm

Happy New Year everyone!

(Janie - nice to see you!)

Can't remember what we've been eating... just haven't tracked for a while. I do know that I did well until 6pm Dec 31 (when New Year started). From there through New Year's Day was wa-ay over the top, and I am SO READY for GREEN days!

Today (1/2/09), I've already done my 15 minutes of exercise (just stretches, but that's okay). Breakfast was a bit indulgent, but fit within the guidelines, and I'm planning a salad for lunch. That will be LOVELY. Don't know about supper yet, but I'll figure it out.

We do a big New Year's Day brunch each year, and people bring all kinds of treats and sweets (and, to be fair, I buy/make a lot too). This year, there's a good bit left over. I've given away what I could (no one wants sweets after Jan. 1!), and my husband will take some to his work, and we will throw out a lot... but there's also stuff that will keep and that I expect I will want eventually. (Eventually. That's the key word.) So, I will make a storage space in a relatively inaccessible place for those sweets.

It's actually kind of nice that I can contemplate keeping things with no real worries about going overboard with them. Right now, I don't want that bar of dark chocolate, but in about a month it will be a divine treat. It can live in the house in peace until then.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:31 pm

1/3/09 - Saturday

No S
Exercise
Non-idiotic S

If I had a color stronger than red for yesterday, I'd use it. It was a stressful day in many ways, and I grazed on party leftovers all day instead of eating real meals. "Grazed" is too gentle a word. "Gorged" is more like it. After so many S-days in a row, my habits were very shaky.

Woke up in the middle of the night feeling incredibly ill - almost as if I had food poisoning. Had to sleep with pillows the rest of the night because of the reflux. It was awful. I do not remember the last time I felt like that. Today, I feel as if I had a hangover - headachy, tender stomach, tired.

May be more than just the eating, but that's definitely a part of it. My body is NOT used to this kind of junk, and rejects it.

Though today is also technically an S-day, I am eating carefully. Meals, not snacks. My treat for today was homemade ginger ale this afternoon to help my tummy. (Steep grated ginger in boiling water, strain, add a bit of honey. Mix with ice and selzter, with an optional squeeze of lemon.)

I do not intend to beat myself up over this. Hey, I've already suffered enough! A better use of energy is to plan meals for next week and to grocery shop so I have good food available.

But I am truly glad that this spate of S-days is over.

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:17 am

I am sorry for your stomach ache. It is the worst thing when you are in pain and have to blame yourself for it.

Today is a new day.

Marjolein

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:07 am

Thank you, Marjolein. I am glad to report Sunday was a MUCH better day.

I treated Sunday as if it were an N-day, just because I really, really didn't WANT to eat much!

Monday was a bit harder, but I was strict and feel better for it. :) It's good to be back on track!

Got exercise and meditation in both days.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:41 am

KCCC,
Your description of Saturday is why I think this diet works in the long run. You compare how you feel after a day like Saturday to how you feel on an N Day, and you gravitate over time to the N Day behavior. I'm not there yet, but I hope to be someday.
Kathleen

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:21 pm

Kathleen wrote:KCCC,
Your description of Saturday is why I think this diet works in the long run. You compare how you feel after a day like Saturday to how you feel on an N Day, and you gravitate over time to the N Day behavior. I'm not there yet, but I hope to be someday.
Kathleen
Kathleen, I think it takes time... and even people with strong habits STILL fall off the wagon, as I demonstrated so clearly last Saturday! The good thing is that No-S teaches you (me) to just pick yourself up, get back on task, and not waste energy in self-recrimination. Over time, that re-focusing pays off!!

Tuesday...
No S
Exercise
Meditation

No time to list food. Exercise was ShovelGlove, meditation was "bedtime" (which I'm going to stop allowing by February).

Today I did a morning Pilates class, which I liked. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:28 pm

Catching up... all good.

Wednesday I did a Pilates class; on Thursday, I didn't do any official exercise, but I played WII with my son for about half an hour in the evening. It was mostly to spend time with him, but choosing an activity was good for us both!

This morning was an exercise class at work - a "muscle strength" class with weights. I worked to the "edge" - no damage, but was shaky from muscle fatigue at the end of the class and will be SORE tomorrow. Wow, that felt good! (This is why I do classes - I would never work that hard on my own.) Still was at my desk at a reasonable time. Love it.

Still working out the breakfast thing. Forgot mine this morning, and thought I'd just buy something at the food court. Guess what? It opens at 10:00. So I ate PB crackers from the vending machine. Not as bad as it sounds, since I'd had an apple and coffee on the way in, but I will stock up here so I don't have a repeat of that! (I had a slightly big and very yummy lunch out to make up for that.)

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:27 am

Doing well on food, stellar on exercise... and terrible on meditation. I'm resisting it for some reason - not sure why.

Today I did yoga in the morning. (And yes, I AM sore from yesterday... and dreading tomorrow.) My S-day looked like an N-day until dinnertime. I had sweets after dinner - a pretty heavy dose - but then stopped for the day. Just felt "done." Much better than usual.

I start my S-days on Fridays at 6pm, and yesterday was similar - a BIG helping of truffles after dinner, and then I was done.

Starting to figure out the breakfast thing. I bought a pyrex dish with a lid to use to take food I want to heat to work (I don't like heating in plastic). And I'm making quiche for supper on Sunday so I can take leftovers for breakfast the next few days. Oatmeal will also travel well (don't like instant, but I can take old-fashioned in a thermos or my new dish), so I can do that toward the end of the week.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:14 am

Sunday...

No S - success. (I end my S-day at 6PM, and count it as a success if I stop then.)
Exercise - exempt. I haven't had time today - very full.
Meditation... we'll see. So far, not.

Packing up for the morning...

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:56 pm

Monday 1/12
No S
Exercise
Meditation

Exercise was a morning Yoga class - refreshing.
Meditation was a meditation tape at bedtime. I've been considering that "barely allowable," but in all honesty it's the first meditation I've done in 5 days. (Yikes!)

Food was fine - though I "tasted" a bit as I cooked, I allowed for it on my plate... and gave myself a "one-time pass" (as in, "If I do this again it will be a red." Like a warning ticket for speeding - if I change my ways, I'm okay.)

Tuesday 1/13/09

No-S
Exercise
Meditation

I'm actually claiming success early. I HAVE meditated - for real! - and am on track for food. Will do some stretches this evening for exercise - not much, but some.

If I don't follow through, will come back and change this post... which I won't want to do, so that's added incentive right there.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:30 pm

I gave myself "green" for No-S yesterday, but I'm aware that I'm "pushing boundaries" a bit with virtual-plating at dinner again. So, will call a halt to that. It will be red if IT WASN't ON MY PLATE WHEN I SAT DOWN from now on.

Exercise today - Pilates. Not as intense as my old class, but still good.
Meditation... will do as soon as I finish this post.

No-S
Still working on the breakfast thing, but today I had something I liked - PB&J! I made bread yesterday, and used that. The loaf was small (Irish soda bread, whole wheat), so a PB&J sandwich was about the area of a 1/2 sandwich of normal bread, but thicker. It was SO GOOD. I really love real bread - need to make it more often.

Br- banana and cafe au lait / PB&J ("/" denotes "on the trip/at work")
L - leftover crustless quiche, one slice homemade bread, cauliflower
D - Honey-dijon shrimp and brown rice, veg, fruit (planned at this point)

Hm...Usually have two fruit/veg at lunch. Need to work on that.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:44 pm

No S
Exercise

Worked from home yesterday, and just didn't stop eating lunch until it was clearly seconds. The trail mix topping on my salad led to just a bit more and just a bit more... I expect I ate nearly a cup. (Once I realized "this is a red," I kept eating as much as I wanted...)

The good news was that I stopped there. The afternoon and evening had a normal N-day intake.

Mark it and move on. I'm glad to be better at "failing fast."

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:16 pm

Friday

I start my S's at 6PM on Friday. We went out, and it became idiotic very quickly. I posted about it on the main board - essentially, I kept returning to the dessert buffet because NOTHING was satisfying. A learning moment.

On the plus side, I've been doing well on exercise, and starting to pull out on meditation. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:14 am

Monday, MLK day, which I took as an S-day - a mild one. It's just hard to do NoS at home, and harder still when it falls after a series of S-days.

Saturday - party. Sunday - ate out for lunch, and was rather stuffed. Went back on No-S at 6pm, which is normal. Monday - did No-S until about 7pm, when I had homemade bread and chocolate.

Exercise on Monday was just stretches, though I did help plant trees at a local elementary for MLK day. ("A day on, not a day off.")

Meditation is off to a better start this week.

Okay, back to routine tomorrow. :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:20 am

Good for you!
I keep getting side tracked from my own goal of daily meditation.
Thanks for the reminder!
Have a great week :)
Debs x

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:25 pm

Tuesday was fine, as was today. Exercise was a real class both days, and I fit in meditation on Tuesday (haven't yet today). Lunch was a little big today, although "legal"... still watching that, because I should be hungry by now and I'm not.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:49 am

Thursday - all green. Exercise was minimal - just stretches. But I needed them.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:57 pm

Hey KCCC,

I found this quote of your quite interesting:
KCCC wrote:essentially, I kept returning to the dessert buffet because NOTHING was satisfying. A learning moment.
:)
I guess we could look critically at any food at any time and ask ourselves what about this or that would be satisfying. Just the whole concept of satisfying is a mystery to me. Is that what we are striving for? to be satisfied? If I don't know what it is, how can I ever find it? I'm thinking that it probably doesn't involve food. :!:

Thank you for giving me so much to ponder today.

Resting

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:23 pm

Resting, it really hit me. We went out because we'd had a hard week and wanted something festive. I can find food at the buffet that I like - has a reasonable salad bar, good veggies, grilled meats - but the desserts are really mass-produced stuff. Even the "fresh-baked" cookies clearly come from pre-manufactured dough. As a home-baker, I can TASTE the difference. And none of it really tasted good.

I think there's genuinely a physical component, as if my body recognizes that "this isn't really food" and keeps foraging. I also think there's an emotional component. I wanted "comfort food," and something home-made would have been comforting.

This last Friday, I made homemade tapioca pudding for the family for dessert after our simple meal at home. That 1/2 cup of pudding made with real milk and eggs was FAR more satisfying than all I ate the Friday before!

==
Updates - Friday was good on all fronts - meditation skipped, just b/c I could (I'd met the weekly quota, and wanted a break). Exercise was a SERIOUS class. Ate reasonable food all day, with my tapioca-pudding to start my S-evening.

Saturday was also good. Did a cardio exercise video, had a normal breakfast, and made a GREAT lunch - all legal, just stuff that cooks so long that I don't normally make it, like real mashed potatoes. And a bit fattier than usual - I made home-made gravy for our mashed potatoes. We had the last of the tapioca pudding for dessert, and all agreed that it was a fabulous meal. :) Dinner with friends was pizza (normal serving), with carrot sticks on the side. Homemade cookies for dessert. I didn't count, but stopped when I was full... and it can't have been too many, b/c I made a recipe that only makes 2 dozen and we had 12 people over, counting all the kids. So even though not everyone had cookies, I can't have had tons.

Sunday... I'm sick, alas, and wanting carbs to settle my stomach. Still not over the top eating...will see how it goes. As long as I'm not in "stuff it in mode" (and I'm not), it's all good.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:35 pm

I AM sick. I hate colds.

I did exercise anyway ("Yoga for colds." Looked like ordinary yoga to me, but did help.) I did eat more carbs than normal yesterday (comfort food - and helps keep the sinus drain from unsettling my stomach), but think I'm back on track today. And I did meditate at bedtime.

One foot in front of the other... and extra rest and hot tea. This too shall pass.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:41 pm

get well soon!

Resting

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:29 pm

Haven't been posting lately, which is just as well or I'd be whining.

I hate being sick, even with a cold. I am not a good patient. I want to curl up and read books and drink hot tea and NOT WORK... and I really need to work. Bleah.

Okay, I whined anyway. And today I'm working from home, which is a big plus. At least I can wear fuzzy slippers and drink hot tea while I work.

On the plus side, I'm enjoying serious comfort food. Crock-pot 15-bean soup with ham on Monday - so delicious and easy! And I made a turkey pot pie yesterday, all from scratch, which will last several days. A bit of work, but worth it.

Exercise is minimal - just stretches. That's okay for now.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:41 pm

Feeling better, and staying on track.

I do adjust exercise a good bit over the course of a week - especially if I'm not well. I might do very simple stretches for 15 minutes instead of a more vigorous workout. But I've found that even that is good - I get out the kinks, and feel that I'm not turning into a total slug. Most importantly, even small successes keep me in "success" mode - in my mind "I am a person who exercises regularly." So when I can get back to normal, I do, without missing a beat. Gotta love it.

A good S-weekend. I made cherry pie and tapioca pudding, and enjoyed. A few mild snacks, but overall regular meals and reasonable portions. Feels right.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:08 pm

Doing okay with exercise and eating, but not meditation. Will work on that.

Today, my soup wasn't thawed for lunch, so I put it in the fridge for another day and treated myself to a bought lunch. Always a learning experience... a Quizno's small sandwich was quite reasonable, but if I'd had a "regular" it would have been almost double the calories! And a salad was even worse! (Dressing and bread-on-the-side will get you.) I was happy with my choice (small chicken bourbon sub - spicy chicken on whole wheat, w/tomato and lettuce - and I ate my apple from home), but will stick to BROUGHT food over BOUGHT food as much as possible. :)

A good weekend. Definite indulgences, but no permasnacking, which makes a HUGE difference.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:24 pm

Have been keeping up with HabitCal, but not this thread. No matter...

Generally good on exercise and N-days, an idiotish S-day on Saturday, and meditation is better this week than last (which is not saying much).

Exercise tracking:
S- walking (over an hour)
M - yoga
tu - just stretches (15 min)
W - Pilates

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:26 pm

Had a failure last night, first in a while... but not a bad one. Some nuts at a meeting late in the day, after a rushed supper. I did NOT eat brownies, though, so that was good. The nuts were clearly a snack, so I marked them, but I consider it a pretty "non-idiotic" failure and am not too concerned about it as long as I get back on track.

Exercise was exempt, as was meditation (such a busy day). I need to meditate today and tomorrow to reach my goal, and exercise one of those days. (The exercise will not be a problem, I don't think.)

Mostly, I need a dose of calm. This new job/commute is wearing me out, and I'm just feeling stretched too thin. Glad the weekend is coming up.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:01 am

The weekend ended up being much more stressful than I'd expected - work crept in, for both me and hubby, and everyone was just CRABBY. One of those times where you first notice ill-temper in everyone else, then realize you're doing it too... and can't seem to stop. We did eventually pull out of that collective tailspin (everyone was genuinely trying), but Saturday simply was not a good day. I think I felt it more because (a) I'd EXPECTED relaxation and didn't get it, and (b) all the V-day hype is a set-up - it's supposed to be an extra-romantic day, not a day where you feel like wringing your beloved's neck. A friend of mine says "expectations are resentments under construction," and I think there's truth to that.

Fortunately, such days are rare at our house, and we were back to normal the next. My S-days were not too bad, even with Valentine's candy. I think that the three-meals habit is finally clicking (knock on wood). Several times I thought "it's an S-day and I could have a treat" and then realized I didn't want anything.

So... moving along. I'm working on the meditation, because I think that will help me most.

Sunday - walk
Monday - yoga
Tuesday - nothing so far, which is okay - may get in some stretches.

No-S safe thus far... oh, and today I had one of those long meetings with junky-food-I-like-sitting-out, and didn't eat any. I am very proud of that, since it's been a difficult place for me. In that past, it's where I most tend have failures. I would think about eating a doughnut, then remind myself that "it's not an S-day." Or, unbidden, the thought would come to me that "I'm not a snacker."

I like not being a snacker. I like even more having really internalized that identification.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:59 pm

Haven't posted in a while, though I've been keeping up my Habitcal. Summary: good on exercise, good on No-S, some idiotic S-days (and some not), and VERY not-so-good on meditation. Such is life.

Have been making very hearty food and enjoying it. 15 bean soup with homemade whole wheat bread one day, Hoppin' John the next. Makes great left-over lunches.

Exercise is getting more regular. I get to my early morning workouts most mornings, and really enjoy them.

Next week I'll be traveling, and will miss my workout classes. But I'm driving, so will take my yoga mat. It will all work out.

blue

Post by blue » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:23 pm

Your thread is very inspiring and it gave me some great ideas for healthy meals :lol:

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:52 am

Hi, Emilypop! Thanks for stopping by. Glad anything here is useful.

Today was a "snow day." I live in the south, where we rarely get snow. Today we did, enough to shut down normal operations. Doesn't take a lot when there's no infrastructure for snow, and people can't drive in it b/c they never get to practice, etc. Schools close. I secretly think part of the reason is sympathy... if you only get a decent snowfall every 3-4 years, how cruel to keep kids in school!)

We lost power for a pretty good while, and used our fireplace for heat. Sandwiches for lunch... broke out the campstove around dinnertime (in the garage with the door open - propane is not for indoor use).

I took an "S" for snow day. It was a day for comfort food when the opportunity arose. Not bad as S-days go, but kind of an unusual NWS for me.

Got in exercise - some yoga in the morning, then a lot of firewood schlepping. And we made a snowman - a pretty good one, I think. Fun family thing to do.

So... good on exercise, okay on food (for an S day). Still not doing well on meditation, but I don't have the energy to worry about it right now.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:13 am

Not the most successful week at this point, in terms of eating. At least I'm aware of that.

I took an NWS day earlier this week, and today was a FAILURE. I am at a conference now (drove down yesterday, only one day later than planned), and did fine until evening. Dinner was very late b/c we had a poster session, and I ended up eating a lot of chips and salsa and far more than "one plate" of food. Feeling very stuffed as a result. That'll teach me.

I did do my exercise (yoga) and I did have a good N day yesterday and exercise then as well. And I walked a bit more than usual today.

I hate acknowledging failure. The only thing worse is NOT admitting it.

blue

Post by blue » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:02 am

KCCC wrote:
I hate acknowledging failure. The only thing worse is NOT admitting it.

So True !!! But then you get to really feel the Sucess I used t to lie about what I ate at Nutasystems to the coach I felt so stupid. Waste of $$$$

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:06 pm

Thanks, Emilypop!

Thursday was another NWS day. I had "more than one plate" at lunch (because of salad and hushpuppies) and it was a big meal. However, it was planned because we were doing "local cuisine," the food itself was reasonable (broiled seafood), and though I was full, I wasn't stuffed. So, I don't want to call it a failure.

I'm also giving myself credit because my colleagues decided on cake for dinner when we stopped at a coffeeshop around suppertime... and I didn't. Instead, I sipped my drink, and later I ordered an appetizer from room service for a light dinner. So, I don't feel that the day merits a failure rating.

Friday was an N-day, but "travel food." Wendy's for dinner. All officially No-S, but heavier than my norm.

Still, so many NWS days in a row are "yellow lights" - just like yellow traffic lights, they mean "caution." Fortunately, I've been on No-S for so long that I'm ready to rebalance. Yes, it's an S-day today - and I intend to take it - but I really don't care to be an idiot today.

Also, I have exercised daily. Thursday was Pilates, Friday was yoga, and today (Saturday), I've already walked for an hour.

blue

Post by blue » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:46 pm

Isnt yoga amazing. I'm amazed that I have ability to hold long poses even when my mind thinks I dont want to . I'm trying to retrain my brain after a meal to stop by using that same technique. Breathe!!! I'm hopeful it will transfer at some point.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:10 pm

It does, but you have to give it time. As my borderline idiot-ish weekend showed.

I did make good treats, and did not get over-full to the point of discomfort, but I noticed I was "grazing" a lot when not really hungry. That's a warning sign for me. I'm happier when I don't permasnack.

Such is life. They were S days. They're over.

And I exercised. :)

blue

Post by blue » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:01 am

When I permasnack it seems like time slips by but I dont seem to do anything. On n days I have so much more time.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:05 pm

emilypop wrote:When I permasnack it seems like time slips by but I dont seem to do anything. On n days I have so much more time.
Yes, very true for me as well. I think that I used to use food to fill time so I wouldn't have to start some dreaded chore - even something as minor as cleaning up the kitchen after dinner. As long as I grazed, I could put it off. I now think that I was subconsciously trying to meet a very real need for "downtime" in a very misguided way.

Once I stopped doing that (thanks to No-S), then I had to figure out "what do I want to do with this time?" That actually was hard, and an indication of how "out of touch with myself" I had become.

Even now, if I am over-tired and under-leisured, I fall into time-wasting-but-not-restoring activities. Staying on the computer too long, playing games that aren't THAT engaging. That kind of thing.

It's far better to stop and THINK and try to get in touch with what I really want. Often, it's more sleep or less work or time with a friend or something QUITE achievable if I don't fritter the time away.

Permasnacking is just bad for me, whether it's an N day or an S day. It's a red flag that something needs attention, and it's not my tummy.

Thanks for prompting this thought, Emily. I think I'll take it to the main board for comment.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:35 pm

Technically a success, but I ate out both main meals, which is really not the best. Lunch was Barbaritos (a mini burrito with black beans, chicken, and LOTS of veg, and a half-size serving of chips) and dinner was pizza (two slices). So, okay, but I'm ready for home-cooking.

In technical compliance mode for exercise too - fifteen minutes of home-grown Pilates. I miss my exercise classes a LOT. (Spring break this week canceled my usual classes, at a conference last week.) At least I am keeping to my baseline of 15 minutes/day for 5 days out of seven, which helps. In terms of maintaining the exercise habit, I have found that frequency trumps duration.

Just trying to work around a lot right now.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:43 pm

Got a real exercise class yesterday, AND meditated for the first time in a week. Go, me!

I have not been doing well at meditating at all, even though it's such a minimal target. I'm going back to allowing "bedtime meditation" (listening to a relaxation tape as I fall asleep) because that's in the "I can do that" range.

Yesterday was okay in terms of food, though I did some borderline virtual-plating at dinner. Got to watch that.

Have also been eating out more than normal - two lunches b/c of work, pizza one night b/c of soccer practice, then extras for lunch another day. I did eat a normal pizza serving (for me, that's two slices of a large, plus salad or carrot sticks or an apple), but still... too much bought food just makes it harder for me to maintain, I've noticed, and I don't need it while I'm still recovering from my conference + idiotic S-days last week. (I've been stepping on the scale this week. It's up, but dropping...I am trusting my normal N-days will take me back to where I need to be as long as I don't panic and put myself into restriction-reaction. That's where I cut back too far in an effort to lose fast, and my mind/body rebel by binging.)

So, going well overall, but some "caution" areas that I'm attending to.

I can't wait until next week when my exercise classes resume. I NEED them. Well, okay, I want them. I'm keeping my habit up with my short sessions, but I like longer ones and the classes just fit my life so well.

blue

Post by blue » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:29 pm

KCCC wrote: I need to be as long as I don't panic and put myself into restriction-reaction. That's where I cut back too far in an effort to lose fast, and my mind/body rebel by binging.)

S.
That has been what I fight the most. For the last 10 years its kept me in a normal weight but CRAZY!!!
I think no s is is helping me break that habit. Hard on s days but I'm hopeful they too will slow down.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:11 pm

Emily, I stayed a normal weight for decades by means of what I now describe as "an armed truce with food." No-S provides such a healthier outlook! (Read my page under testamonials for more details.)

No exercise on Th/F, but I did meditate both days. Today (Saturday) I walked, so I've met my "5 of 7" exercise goal. Whew! And my beloved exercise classes resume next week - yippee!!

N days are good. S days starting off well. And I checked my weight on Friday, and it's back in normal range - still at the high end, but nothing that raises red flags. It's nice to see my trust in No-S validated. :)

I'm going to start monitoring my S-day treats. That doesn't mean counting or limiting (I know better than to try that!), but just writing them down so I can see what I'm actually having.

I run my S-days from 6PM on Friday to 6PM on Sunday. We had a guest on Friday, and I had a lovely dinner prepared with homemade apple pie at the end. Had a small slice (1/10 pie) and later had 3 Girl Scout cookies.

Today we went out for brunch - technically one plate, but a pretty heaped one! (Of course, it was two meals, too.) For a treat later, I'm making a flourless chocolate cake to try - cooling now. Our local bakery has one I love, but it's expensive. I'm not sure this recipe is working, though - doesn't look right. Supper will be split pea soup (I'm trying a new recipe, already in the crockpot), spinach salad (left from last night), and bread from the breadmaker (next on my list). I expect I'll have at least one piece, maybe more, of my cake, and possibly seconds on bread.

I love cooking early in the day when I have energy, and coasting in the evening.

===
Edited to report that the cake is a total disappointment. Oh, it's okay, and would probably be great to someone who didn't have their tastebuds set in a particular direction. It's like a very fudgy brownie, very moist. But it's not what I wanted, which is kind of denser and richer.

Oh well. Since hubby is not into chocolate as much as I (and is delighted with the apple pie remnants), I'll take it to church coffeehour tomorrow and let them eat it up for me. If it doesn't feel like a real treat to me, I'm not going to bother with keeping it around. Or, even worse, nibbling on it with great dissatisfaction. So out it goes.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:28 am

Maybe I don't want to write down everything on an S-day.

The total today is a bit horrific to me. Did fine until after lunch, then started with nibbles and treats all afternoon. (I end my S-days at 6PM on Sunday, and count it "green" if I actually stop then.) I did stop on time, I did not eat so much that I felt sick, and it was all "good stuff".... but there was a definite "get it while I can" desperation to my eating. I don't like that. I don't want to admit to that.

Sigh.

Two steps forward, one step back. The long-term trends are still in the direction I want to go. That's what I have to remember.

And it was an S-day. Done. Past. Tomorrow is N for Normal. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:28 am

Today could have been an S-day, b/c it's our anniversary. Eighteen years.

However... we went out to brunch on Saturday for it. And I don't need any extra S-days this month. Plus today was an extra-hectic day anyway...

So, I fixed an extra-fancy but perfectly N-day supper. We had steak, which I normally don't buy because of the cost, and it was easy and delicious. We ate by candlelight.

It would have been rather romantic except that the 8-year-old was too rowdy. He was determined to be the class clown at the table! Gotta laugh - it's all part of the package. And overall, it's a good package; both of us still think that getting married was one of the best life choices we ever made.

How nice that a N-day meal can be still be so special.

blue

Post by blue » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:03 am

Happy Anniversary!!!! Thats wonderful. I bet in a n day you got to feel more anyway :lol:

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:06 pm

Thanks, Emily.

Back into my usual exercise classes, and even got up extra-early to make a Tu class I don't normally go to.

Mon - bedtime yoga
Tues - BodyPump (and I'm sore - in a good way)
Wed - Pilates

Did eat out for two meals on Tuesday - Barbaritos lunch w/colleagues and pizza dinner b/c of soccer. I also had a larger-than-normal serving of pizza (extra 1/2 slice - I usually have 2) and skipped the veggies I usually have with it. Technically okay, but not the greatest. Have another lunch out on Thursday as well, though I can get a salad at that place.

I'm ready to eat my own food, though. Today for lunch I have PB&J on my homemade whole wheat bread (which, not to brag, is SO much better than store-bought), a spinach salad with feta, and an apple. Yum! Dinner will be chicken quesadillas with veg/fruit (whatever strikes my fancy from the freezer/crisper).

Meditation is squeaking by so far this week... we'll see. I am not doing a good job of focusing on it right now, but don't have the energy to make a big push.

blue

Post by blue » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:39 am

I actually meditated for about 5 minutes today. I wanted to binge but I decided to actually breathe first. It worked. It helps to read others are meditating or trying too.