KCCC's check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Tuesday

Couch to 5K, Week 3, Round 1. Getting more difficult.

Br - bagel (1/2) w/ cream cheese
L - Barbaritoes, with friends
D - Grilled cheese, green tomatoes, watermelon

Wednesday

Exercise - Pilates class

Br - oatmeal w/nuts and raisins
L - 1/2 bagel, ham, last of the tomatoes, watermelon
D - TBD. Have to grab something between meetings - should have packed, but didn't think that far ahead.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Thursday...

Trying to get everything done in time to go on vacation... and going nuts.

Wed dinner was avocado roll, a banana, and a container of yogurt. Eclectic, but I was in a rush and decided to do a grocery-store-stop instead of fast food.

Thursday exercise - Couch to 5K, week 3, round 2. Already easier. Maybe partly b/c I run outside (with mild hills) on Tuesdays and on an indoor track on Thursdays, but some is increased capacity.

Br - oatmeal w/nuts and raisins
L - multigrain bagel, cheese, watermelon, cucumber slices
D - TBA. I have not been planning ahead well. Will include watermelon, b/c we have a lot, and I've thawed some meat... we'll see.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:45 pm

That's me too KCCC! Going away next week and here we are tearing our house apart! Had new linoleum put down in the kitchen yesterday - but that entailed cleaning out the refrigerator so it could be moved, cleaning out the hutch for same reason, etc. etc. Painted all the trim and finally got everything put back in place a little while ago. Whew! But it looks wonderful!
Thanks for your input about what to do while vacationing! Your posts are always so wise, and I value your opinion and ideas. So let's both go away with a plan, but still possibly enjoy a treat once a day, and come home without any damage done! Enjoy your time away.
Told you couch-to-5K got harder at week three! Keep going!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:18 pm

Mimi, thanks for the encouragement! :) Let's make a pact to both come back with sane, satisfying S's on vacation!

Dinner Thursday - mutton chops (less meat on them than I thought), baked potato, corn, cinnamon apples

Friday
Exercise - Muscle Strength class. A killer

B - oatmeal w/nuts & raisins
L - multi-grain bagel, egg salad, cucumber, watermelon
D - TBD. Will include watermelon, but something quick and easy with. Maybe Tower of Tortilla.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:29 pm

Friday - ended up eating "lunch" for supper. I'd forgotten I had a work lunch scheduled. Longhorn steak salad, which was very good.

Saturday
Have done my run (Week 3, Round 3) and stretched. :)

Today is "packing day"... but I plan to keep it easy and relaxed. Yesterday was my last day at work for two weeks, so I'm OFFICIALLY ON VACATION!!! Woo-hoo!

Br - egg sandwich (2 eggs, one slice bread)
L - Tower of Tortilla, peas and carrots, tiny bit of smoothie (my son's leftovers)
D - Mac and cheese, cucumber slices
Snacks - nuts at 4:00, pumpkin bread as dessert with dinner. I actually was less hungry than I liked at dinner time b/c of the nuts (a lesson there), and still feel full.

Since this is an S-day (and not quite yet gone "on" vacation), I thought one snack would be fine. And it was nice and healthy... but... I really think that I feel better when I don't have snacks at all.

(Edited to add end-of-day food.)
Last edited by kccc on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:23 pm

Have fun, my friend! And remember our pact!

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:49 pm

mimi wrote:Have fun, my friend! And remember our pact!

Will do! "S-worthy" it is!

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:14 pm

Quick vacation check-in...
Have kept up w/ exercise so far, and am eating well. Probably some seconds ( restaurant food), but not snacking. One bit of dessert, but most stuff doesn't really look S-worthy.

So far so good.

masher

Post by masher » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:23 pm

Happy to hear that your break is going well.

Huge thank you for your Pilates audio recommendation. I received the Brook Siler CDs with flash cards and had a great session on Sunday. I have been doing Pilates for 12 years and still found the intermediate class demanding and very much worthwhile.

The CD is so useful for those weekends when I do not feel like going to the gym, I do not have a class but I want to do something instead of my ordinary routine. Exercise makes me feel good but sometimes I need motivation, and the audio tape helps.

Thanks!

Best,
Masher

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:40 am

Masher, so glad you're enjoying it - I really like Brooke Siler. Her forms seems quite good to me, and I like the visualizations she uses. Another "back-up" for me are Yoga podcasts that I download on iTunes. Between the two, I can always manage a "hotel-room workout."

At a hotel with wireless now, so catching up.

Most of my days have been reasonable - perhaps a bit large on portions when we go out. I'm focusing more on getting my exercise than on anything else - that's my personal July Challenge. So far, so good - I'm currently doing Week 4. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:49 pm

Week 4 Round 2 of Couch to 5K today. Go, me! I'm very pleased with how I'm keeping up with exercise on vacation.

Did snack a little yesterday, because meals-with-family were rather unsatisfying. The snacks were small and contained - discrete events rather than non-stop - so I don't feel bad about them.

And overall, I'm doing better than normal for vacation. :)

Also enjoying having wireless, at least until we switch hotels.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:16 pm

Week 4 Round 2 of Couch to 5K today. Go, me! I'm very pleased with how I'm keeping up with exercise on vacation.
You rock, KCCC! Look at you! We're back home this evining... :cry: but had a wonderful week. I enjoyed having wireless at the hotels too! We only had to change once! Enjoy the rest of your time and keep up your great work! Proud of ya!

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:56 am

On the road again today - but I think we have Internet from here on.

Yesterday we visited a gourmet chocolate factory, and of course bought some. Definitely S-worthy! But I'm done. Skipped ice cream at dinner. (We're in PA, which is chocolate/dairy country.)

Next stop- the beach! :)

Exercise this morning - yoga. Will run again tomorrow.U

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:28 pm

No Internet at the beach. :(

Saturday and Sunday got a little wild. We ate junk (salt-water taffy, ice cream, etc.) instead of a proper lunch, so dinner was over the top. Today (Monday), I have been careful to eat "real meals". Even when they're bigger than normal, that's still better than snack attacks.

I really enjoy food more when it's eaten in discrete events rather than an ongoing inhalation.

I have done very well on exercise. Yesterday I ran on the beach, which was neat. A bit of a challenge to my calf muscles, but felt good. Today I walked and stretched. Hoping for another run in the morning before we get in the car for our next stop... We'll see. Weather has turned bad - we were lucky to get any time on the beach at all today.

Enjoying vacation very much. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:47 pm

Back on internet.

Keeping up with Couch to 5K while on vacation, but this week is HARD. (Week 5.) The routine "climbs" every session, and the middle one about did me in. I'm considering repeating it again before the next "climb". Supposed to run tomorrow, but don't really see a good place to do it. :(

Eating has been a bit erratic. I've been good about no snacks (which I am VERY pleased about), and have indulged in sweets only a few times, and they've been "S-worthy." But I think my portion-control has gotten wobbly - I've had obvious seconds more than once, and "sneaky seconds" (big plates eating out, that kind of thing) as well. Something to focus on when I get back.

Overall, have no idea how the vacation has affected weight. But it's okay - I intend a strong "back-on-habit" re-boot when I get back on Sunday. :)

It's been a lovely vacation, but I'm ready to be home.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:28 pm

I'm home! I'm home!

This was a great vacation - a bit too much driving, but lots of time with friends and family and even some downtime.

Report card:

I did VERY well with exercise, even locating a space to run on the last day. (It was a rural area - no sidewalks, cars at high speed. The person at the desk told me where the local high school was, just a mile or two away, and I used their track.) On the days I didn't run, I did yoga or something light all but one day.

I didn't do as well with my vitamins habit, which I was trying to re-claim. Eventually gave up entirely. That habit may deserve a habitcal in the future. We'll see how I do at home before deciding... in August, I want to focus on re-booting No-S overall now that I'm back, and I don't want to pile on too much.

Eating... mixed, mostly positive. I did very little snacking, and most of the sweets were "S-worthy." The no-snacking is HUGE all by itself, and makes a big difference in my overall happiness with how I eat. I am also very pleased with how easy it was to pass up "non-S-worthy" treats. I had a sense of "why bother?" rather than feelings of deprivation.

However, I think portion control got wobbly - some obvious seconds (my sister is a great cook), some less obvious ones (one restaurant plate is more than a plate). So, we'll see how it goes. I don't "feel" heavier, and whatever the result, it's got to be WAY better than it would have been before No-S.

And I am so happy to be home where I can cook my own food!

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:45 pm

Weighed this morning, and it was exactly where it was when I left. Not bad for two whole weeks of S-days, albeit more moderate-than-normal-S-days.

My current disaster.... the gym I go to is closed for TWO WEEKS. I don't know how I'll fit exercise in.

The reason it's a scheduling nightmare is that I usually drive to work early, exercise, and shower/change there for work. The better traffic flow in the early morning creates the time for me. If I exercise before I leave home, I'll need to get up at least half an hour to an hour earlier because of traffic when I do drive in. Yuck! And trying to fit it in at the end of the day is not very likely... don't know what I'll do.

But I'll figure out something...

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:00 pm

Yup - you need to have a plan. What is it that they say? If you fail to plan, you plan to fail... :roll:

Welcome back!

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:13 pm

I have a plan!

I located another gym about 2 miles from work. They will sell me a "punch card" for 10 visits - I won't have to buy a long-term membership.

Not the best, but do-able. One option. The other IS getting up earlier. (Gulp. Cheaper. Harder in some ways, not in others...)

Will think on it.

No-S
Br - oatmeal with nuts and raisins
L - Salad with nuts, raisins, goat cheese; cucumber slices; leftover Tower of Tortilla
D (planned) - rotisserie chicken, strawberries, salad, some kind of carb... maybe cous-cous or whole-wheat Irish Soda Bread.

==
ETA
Carb ended up just being some flatbread I had on hand b/c my sister gave it to me - not very good, actually. Oh well.

But I got in 15 minute on the Wii Fit, so that counts as today's exercise. (It gave me a lot of grief because it's been 69 days since I've been on it - stupid computer doesn't recognize that it's NOT my main workout!)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:45 am

No S
Br - 1/2 bagel, cheese, banana
L - salad with nuts, goat cheese, and about 1/4 chicken breast; banana; other 1/2 bagel
D - Chicken quesadilla, mixed veg
Glass of wine. Also an extra coffee in the afternoon, which includes milk/sugar for me. (See below for why I needed it.)

Exercise
I got up 30 minutes earlier than usual and did my Couch-to-5K run. (Week 6, Round 1). Didn't care for that - besides just the pain of getting up early, it was dark enough to be a little scary at first. Still, I'm proud that I did it! I don't want to lose momentum after being so good during vacation. I can run a little later on Thursday, b/c I'll be working from home.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:50 pm

No S

Br - 1/2 bagel w/cream cheese
L - chicken quesadillas, salad with nuts and goat cheese. Yum!
D - (planned) Zucchini quiche, homemade bread, and some kind of veg (TBD)

Exercise - Did my Pilates routine this morning

Planned to go pick blueberries before they were gone, but the place was closed. :( Bummer.

==
ETA: Dinner was a new "zucchini pie" recipe, which was less than successful. Homemade bread made up for it - haven't had it in a while. Veg was corn and half a banana (split with my son).

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:40 pm

Exercise

Got up at 5:45 and ran - not as bad as last time. Maybe less overcast, or maybe I'm just tougher. I am proud of myself for getting in my run on such a busy day! It's my son's first day of third grade, and I agreed to help the PTO sell school agendas this morning. (It's sort of a planner book for kids, which is good for them to have...sort of required. The PTO buys them, then sells them to the parents for $5. If they can't afford them, we provide them anyway... but doing so cuts into funds for other things, so we try to get the parents to pay for them. The schools are being hit so hard with budget cuts that the PTO is covering a lot of basic things instead of "extras"!)

Anyway, had a doctor's appointment after that (routine), so knew that if I didn't get up, running wouldn't happen. So I did - week 6, round 2. I'm really proud to have stuck with it this long!

No-S
Breakfast - leftover zucchini pie, banana
Lunch - Barbarito's (with a friend). Ate too many chips - I love them, but they're probably awful for me. I usually ask for half-serving, but I don't think the girl heard me. Oh well. My usual burrito is a "mini," with chicken, black beans, and TONS of veggies - so many it barely closes - and that's it. No sour cream or cheese, etc. So, I think the overall meal is (barely) okay - but the chips are something to watch.
Dinner (planned) - pasta with pesto, broccoli, homemade bread

marleah

Post by marleah » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:48 pm

I'm always horrible with those free chips they offer. With salsa! That's so hard. I try to limit myself to a handful (or two, maybe).
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:23 am

At least it was a serving of chips beside my burrito, not a bowl in the middle of the table that was contantly being re-filled! So, it was a finite amount, even if a bit larger than I really ought to have had. I could even argue that it was a "plate"... but I know those little baskets hold a lot of food!

I'm not going to count it this time, because it WAS finite - more of an over-full plate than seconds. But I WILL watch it in the future.

They're awfully good, though. This is a local chain, and they really do chips right. They also do "design your own" burritos, kind of like Subway does sandwiches. If they just didn't have cilantro in all their sauces, they'd be perfect. (I don't care for cilantro.)

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:37 pm

Friday

Br - zucchini pie
L - out with group - pasta primavera and a little salad on the side. (I did NOT eat the bread or appetizers, and I didn't finish my pasta. Ate all the veggies out though - they were scrumptious!)
D - chicken quesadillas, carrots, cukes, and figs.
Late snack - (I decided to start my S-day at 6PM, which I sometimes do, and I was baking brownies... actually started S's around 9) - chocolate chips and nuts while baking.

No exercise :(

Saturday

Exercise: Got up early and RAN! Week 6, round 3 - 25 minutes straight (plus walking warmup and cool down). Go, me!

Br - Cream cheese and cuke sandwich on homemade bread
L - Lunch at a church meeting that I co-organized. Salad, watermelon, grapes pasta. Several brownies (homemade) for dessert.
D - homemade pizza (thanks to Nicole's inspiration), watermelon

However, between lunch and dinner there was a bit of perma-snacking... not too much in light of some weeks, but more than I prefer. An S-day, so "legal"... but I do want to drop that habit. Lessee... 2 pieces of taffy, a small handful of trail mix, another brownie plus some crumbs, a bit of pepperoni while making pizza, some figs (I love dried figs). I think that's it, and it's really not TOO awful...but just not being sure bothers me.

That's one thing about a normal N day... keeping a food journal is no big deal, because if eating is limited to three meals, I can remember. So unlike when I did WW!! On an S-day, it's hard to re-construct. I don't like that. Probably good for me to try, just to show myself the difference.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:44 am

Sunday

Exercise - yoga routine

Br - cuke sandwich
Snack - jam bars (love these things - they're what fruit-filled "breakfast bars" aspire to be!)
L - Barbaritos
D - crustless quiche, homemade bread, salad, grapes
Snacks - taffy (2), nuts, the last brownie. I think that's it.

I did forget I was supposed to be back on task at 6pm, and had the taffy for dessert. So, I've used one of my S-days for the month. Oh well. At least it wasn't a blow-out.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:55 pm

Monday

Br - oatmeal with raisins and nuts
L - quiche, salad, bread
D - pasta w/meat (turkey) sauce, broccoli, apple slices

ex - 15 minutes Pilates

Tuesday

Br - oatmeal with raisins and nuts
L - BBQ sandwich, corn on cob, slaw, baked beans (at a work function)
D - quiche, salad w/cucumbers, apple (planned - what I brought for lunch!)

Exercise - Couch to 5k, week 7, round 1. I am proud of doing that this week, because I had to do some serious schedule-juggling around limited gym hours to make it work.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:59 am

Wednesday

Br - Egg sandwich (2 eggs, one slice bread)
L - Veggie sushi and salad with tofu
D - PB&J on homemade bread, cucumber slices, dried figs

Exercise - yoga routine, some additional stretches during the day. Had a boring computer job to do, so sat on the floor with my laptop and held a stretch while I waited for the next piece to load...

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:01 pm

Thursday...
Br - yogurt and slice homemade bread
L - work function again. Grilled chicken sandwich, baked beans. I really didn't want chips or mayo-filled slaw
D - I was STARVING at 4:30, but didn't eat - had a decaf latte instead (hot milk to the rescue!). By the time I could get to dinner, around 7:30... I wasn't much interested. Odd, that. Had a small gorgonzola salad at Sbarro's, and that was that. I thought I'd be hungry later, but wasn't.

Oh, and I ran. Week 7, round 2. I'm so proud of my progress!

Friday
br - 1/2 bagel with PB
L - pasta leftovers (rather a lot!), cukes, figs, slice homemade bread
D - TBD

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:19 pm

Wow! Week 7, way to go!
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:55 pm

Oh, and I ran. Week 7, round 2. I'm so proud of my progress!
You're awesome! What a gal!

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:04 am

Thanks, guys! I was actually dreading week 7, because from here on out there are no walking breaks in the middle. Week seven is 25 minutes of running (with walking to warm up and cool down), and the time just increases from there. Plus, I had to work around summer gym hours. However, the running actually helped with that - I ran outdoors, then took my shower when the gym opened at 8. I was pleased that I looked for ( and found) a good solution instead of just giving up.

Setting this mid-term goal of doing this program has been very good for my exercise this summer - really kept me on track.

S- days this weekend have not been so good, but I think I've learned a bit from them. We're staying at a lodge in the mountains - lovely. However, we have to drive to get food or eat at the incredibly expensive buffet restaurant. Potential scarcity makes me a little desperate. Next time we stay here, I'm packing a cooler.

One s-day out of many. And whenever I get bummed, all I have to do is look back in time...what I think of as excessive now wouldn't even register in the old days!

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:56 pm

Sunday

No exercise, except a stroll too short to count

Br - at the lodge. Biscuits and gravy, fruit, juice. (I totally LOVE biscuits with gravy, though I recognize they have no redeeming nutritional value at ALL.)
L - Subway "personal pizza"
Dessert - one serving Reisen's candies. Another favorte
Dinner - at home!! Pasta with clam sauce; salad of mixed greens, home-grown cherry tomatoes and cucumbers garnished with blue cheese crumbles; slice baguette. Heaven!

(Ending my S-day at lunch b/c I started with an S-event Friday night.)

Monday

Pilates class at the gym - it's open again!!
Br - yogurt and grapes
L - leftover pasta w/clam sauce, salad, plus some watermelon.
D - probably more pasta, salad, and watermelon. (We had a guest on Sunday, and I doubled the recipe for one small boy because we normally have just barely enough. Good thing everyone loves it!)

I have a new trick: when I bring leftovers, I spoon them out on my dinner plate where I can "eyeball" them before I put them into my Tupperware containers. That way, I don't pack excessive amounts. Since I often eat directly from the containers (despite having a plate in the office - not easy to wash it), it's better for the containers to have only what I need in them.

Alas, I can tell I was used to BIG lunches! It's about 4pm, and I'm hungry.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:01 pm

Tuesday
Exercise: Cto5K Week 8, round 1... and I've signed up for a 5K on the 29th. That will be the last run of week 9. How cool is that?

Br - oatmeal w/nuts
L - the LAST of the pasta w/clam sauce, salad w/ blue cheese crumbles, grapes. Good, but I'm tired of it.
D (planned) - Tuna melts or toasted cheese with fresh tomatoes. My neighbor gave me some tomatoes (mine got blossom-end rot, alas), and I'm already drooling. I LOVE homegrown tomatoes. Probably watermelon with it.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:42 pm

Wednesday

Br Bagel with cream cheese and pepperoni (!!)
L - toasted cheese on homemade bread with homegrown sliced tomatoes (two pieces of bread), sliced cucumber, a tangerine. So pretty and delicious!
D - Grilled cheese sandwich, watermelon, smoothie (which I sort of "plated" visually).

Exercise = Pilates routine at home

Thursday

Exercise = week 8, round 2 of C to 5k

Br - oatmeal with nuts/raisins
L - potato salad, watermelon, cherry tomatoes (potato salad = 1.5 small yukon gold potatoes, 2 HB eggs, chopped pickles, mustard and pickle juice to moisten because I dislike mayo)
D - TBD

A colleague brought an assortment of cookies/brownies to a meeting, and jokingly set a big plate by my elbow. I smiled and said thank you, I wasn't having any. He was a bit surprised, but accepted it. Everyone at work thinks I NEVER eat sweets... I've started saying "I save them for the weekend." The funny thing is, I genuinely didn't care a bit about them - I'd just had breakfast, I wasn't hungry, they were bakery-type, but not homemade... why bother?

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:02 pm

Thursday dinner - sausage, potato salad, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, homemade bread.

Friday

Exercise - Muscle Strength class - first one in over a month! I will be sore.

B - oatmeal with nuts
L - big serving of potato salad, an apple, and tomatoes with bleu cheese crumbles.
D - TBD. I'm getting a massage (my neck is "stove up") and my hubby is taking out son out to eat. So I get to get what I want for myself. Hm...

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks for stopping by my blog, KCCC, and for the breakfast suggestions. :)
That's one thing about a normal N day... keeping a food journal is no big deal, because if eating is limited to three meals, I can remember. So unlike when I did WW!! On an S-day, it's hard to re-construct. I don't like that. Probably good for me to try, just to show myself the difference.
Funny I found this in your thread today because I just finished writing about how I want to stick to 3 meals/no snacks on my S days. I have all sorts of reasons but being able to track and remember what I eat more easily is definitely one of them! I'm in my third week of keeping a food journal and it's so much easier when it's just the three meals. I cannot tell you how many times I've kept them in the past for days/weeks/months, but I always invariably get sick of it because with my ridiculous permasnacking and grazing ways, the record-keeping becomes unbearable.

(still seems like food journaling has NO effect on how nutritious my choices are over time! ha!)
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi Vigilante! I meant to tell you I has stopped by your blog, but you saw it first. The next PS is me too - saying that it's a nice blog!

I decided some time ago that I was going to quit snacking completely except under truly exceptional circumstances. (There's a post labelled "I quit!" from July, right before I went on vacation.) I really hate the way I feel when I perma-snack. And that's my current definition of an "idiotic" S-day - lots of permasnacking, with no real enjoyment. I noticed over time that my favorite S-days were ones where I had one or two lovely treats, but mostly ate NORMALLY. Well, doh! Reinhard said somewhere that "S-days were supposed to be rewarding," and realized that the ones where I was out of control just were not.

I don't always meet that goal, but I am snacking less on S-days, and it does seem to help the way I feel. Whether I lose pounds or not, the loss of that feeling of desperation is PRICELESS.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:28 pm

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Permasnacking really is a crappy feeling. Would you mind if I reposted what you just wrote in my own thread? This is something I would like to keep at the forefront on my mind, and having it where I would see it again and again would be helpful.
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:38 am

Vigilant2010 wrote:Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Permasnacking really is a crappy feeling. Would you mind if I reposted what you just wrote in my own thread? This is something I would like to keep at the forefront on my mind, and having it where I would see it again and again would be helpful.
Mind? I'm tremendously flattered!

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:46 pm

:wink: :wink: :wink:

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:15 pm

Weekend... Saturday was a "sane" day - normal until we went out for dinner, which probably counted as "hidden seconds," and one Godive chocolate bar as my treat.

Sunday less so. Just too crazy, and I got very stressed, and ended up eating snacks and sweets after 4:00 for "comfort," until I realized what I was doing and quit. Not terrible, but I've done better.

Exercise - Ran Saturday, 15 min Pilates/Yoga on Sunday, Pilates class on Monday.

Monday
Br - Oatmeal with nuts, banana
L - Large salad with feta and pepperoni and tomatoes, crackers
D - We'll be at a Boy Scout Cookout. I'm bringing fruit salad, so there will be something besides hamburgers, hot dogs, and macaroni and cheese. One plate will do me.

Edited to add... filling in Habitcal for the weekend, and I cannot remember if I had "BLTs" on Sunday. I suspect so - it's such an unconscious habit. I gave it a "yellow" for Sunday, since I had not decided that this habit had to be observed on S-days as well... but I am NOW deciding that it should be. It's a bad habit, and I want to break it totally. On S-days, I can sit down with whatever-the-food-is if I want it that much.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:54 pm

Br - oatmeal with nuts
L - out. Grilled veggie pizza, 8" (very good)
D - salmon, cous-cous, fruit salad, veg salad

Ran this morning. Started week 9 of C to 5K! (That's the last week of the program.)

However, it was a hard day. A little kitty we rescued off the road on Sunday died this morning, and I'm unreasonably sad about an animal I "knew" less than two days. (We took him to the vet... it was iffy, and we tried... but he didn't make it.) And then my hubby's vehicle broke down - very unexpected. Sigh.

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:52 am

I'm sorry about the kitty--that must have been heart-breaking.

((KCCC))

buttercreampillow
Natural Eater

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:46 pm

buttercreampillow wrote:I'm sorry about the kitty--that must have been heart-breaking.

((KCCC))

buttercreampillow
Thanks, buttercreampillow (your name, and the story you told about it, always make me smile!). The kitty incident did hit surprisingly hard. Today is better.

I am learning to allow myself to FEEL emotions I don't much like... and I'm learning that they go away faster when I acknowledge their existence.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:08 pm

Glad to see you're doing so well! :) Sorry about the kitty :(
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:40 pm

Thanks, Nicole!

Wednesday...
B - 1/2 multigrain bagel with PB and banana
L - pepperoni sandwich, banana, grapes (sandwich is not my fave... this was a "needs to be used" choice)
D - BBQ chicken, corn, canteloupe, strawberries, grapes, zucchini spears. Sounds like a lot, but it was small portions of everything and did fit on one plate.

Planning on a glass of wine. :)

Exercise
Minimal - 20 minute yoga series, focusing on shoulder openers b/c I've been having issues with them. I do love yoga podcasts!

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:33 am

sorry to hear that about the kitten, KCCC. But you tried and at least it didn't die by the side of the road. :-(

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:14 pm

Thanks, FunFuture. That's what we've been telling ourselves too. We do feel we did everything possible. Still sad - so little!

Thursday

Exercise - Week 9, round 3 of Couch to 5K. Next Saturday is my "graduation" - and will be run in a REAL 5K race. I actually don't think I'm making a full 5K, though. So, I'm just going to do my "normal" routine, starting with the 5 minute walk, and see where it gets me... my only goal is to finish. Next week I'm running another, and on that one my goal will be to run the entire length of the official route.

Br - oatmeal with nuts
L - salad with feta, whole wheat crackers with cheese, cantaloupe and zucchini spears (left from last night). Yum!
D - bbq chicken again - I made enough for two nights, knowing this one would be busy. We have leftover corn and couscous too, and some honeydew and salad. That will do for everyone.

I have been perusing the bento box site posted on the discussion thread, and came to the realization that I really prefer different proportions than those used in bento. (They use 3 parts grain, 2 veg, 1 protein. Mine - in six parts - would be 3 parts veg/fruit, 1.5 parts grain, 1.5 parts protein.) Hm. No real conclusions on that, just recognizing a pattern.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:43 pm

Good luck on your upcoming 5k's! :D

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:01 pm

Thanks, Vigilant! I'm looking forward to both of them! (A part of me still can't believe I'm typing that, lol!)

Exercise - Muscle strength class. Yup, I'm going to be sore. Haven't done this in a while.

Br - oatmeal with raisins and banana
L (planned) - Small salad, leftover honeydew, cheese and crachers, yogurt.
D - TBD. I'm staying overnight with a friend, and we'll probably go out. But not too late, because we're running tomorrow! :)

ETA: This was my friend's b'day, and we went out to eat at nice restaurant. It was totally delicious, but definitely into seconds territory! After, we had wine and 2 squares of dark chocolate. I'm stuffed... but it was a lovely S-day with her, and I enjoyed it.

It's interesting that I was so enjoying the food that I did overeat, but I noticed the point at which I could have stopped. I am a little sorry I kept eating now (not terribly - mostly veggies, and very good). Still, I think being more aware of the feeling that "this is a good place to stop" is progress, and I can see actually stopping then - even on S-days - in my near future. :) I used to not even notice passing that point until it was far past!

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:20 am

I completed the 5K. :)

I did NOT run it all, or even run as much as I have been when doing my Couch to 5K runs - the heat and hills got to me. So, my time is not impressive. I did run most of it, and I did finish. I've decided that is quite respectable as a baseline - especially when adding in the mile we walked back and forth to the car before the race began. (I'm not kidding - couldn't park close, and they gave us all our stuff before the race, so we had to walk back to the car and drop it off...)

Br - banana before the race, banana and half-bagel (dry) after
L - big lunch - shrimp and grits. Delicious, but I couldn't finish it, and was sorry I ate quite as much as I did. Two big meals in two days are not that enjoyable.
D - chicken quesadillas, watermelon, grapes. Nice and light, late enough that lunch was a memory.
S-day treat, even later: Chocolate Bananas Foster. I've added the recipe to the recipe thread. Really good!

We went shopping this evening, and I planned to get a treat. But nothing in the stores seemed very attractive... so I went through cooking books when I got home, until I found the recipe I used. Perfect.

I realize now that I really wanted a chocolate-y, mousse-like something. All those recipes use whipping cream, which I have not been in the practice of keeping on hand. Think I'll buy some for next weekend.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:05 pm

Sunday was over-the-top and unsatisfying. I made brownies for an after-church worksession that was supposed to have pizza. It didn't make because something else ran long... no pizza, lots of brownies, long past lunch, and stress. A train wreck, and the rest of the day followed.

But it's past. And I've done Pilates this morning.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:22 pm

Congratulations on your 5K! Isn't that a real feeling of accomplishment? You really worked hard!
Brownies are over - partially redeemed by the pilates! :lol: Go forth from here!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi Mimi! Was glad to run the 5k, and I'm doing another on Monday, which is my birthday. Hope to better my original time, which was NOT fast. (For the record - 40:23.) My hubby is running with me, which will be fun.

Monday
Oatmeal with nuts for breakfast
Pizza for lunch, and I ate seconds. (My "serving" is usually 2 pieces + salad, and I chose to have 3 pieces and no salad. But it really was seconds.)
Dinner... still over-full from that extra piece of pizza, so I made a big salad with a biscuit on the side while the guys had pizza and salad. It was very good, and just right. (And it wasn't a "making up" attitude, it was an "I want something light" choice. Major difference.)

Tuesday - SEPTEMBER!!
Exercise - I usually do muscle strength class on Friday, but the instructor will be out of town Friday and offered to do a class on Tuesday instead if the group was interested. We took it. But I usually run on Tuesdays, and didn't want to mess up my routine... so I did one mile (all I had time for) after class. I'm good for exercise today!

Br - 2 slices cold pizza. I know, I know - but I love it. Reminds me of my college days.
L - Leftover chicken/rice soup, biscuit, watermelon
D - TBD. I have a lot of cooked peppers/onions, so will either be an omelet or a pasta dish to use them up.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:04 pm

Dinner on Tuesday was just for me, so it was salad, and a bagel with toasted cheese.

Wed
Br - 2 eggs and biscuit
L - repeat of dinner on Tuesday
D - TBD. I'm thawing lamb chops.

Exercise... missed this morning, so am trying to figure out when/what to do...

ETA: Dinner was lamb chops, couscous, watermelon, salad, and cooked peppers. Very yum. And we'll have something VERY similar tomorrow, because I thawed twice the number of lamb chops as needed (hard to tell through the packaging - these were home-packaged from my sis's "farm"). And I got in a quick Pilates session for exercise.

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:58 am

KCCC,

Your 5k time is faster than mine. :) My fastest time ever was 42:37. The last one I ran on July 4 was over 44 min. (I'd been on a bit of a running hiatus.)

I'm now learning how to run barefoot and hope to be ready for a bf 5k by November's Turkey Trot. :D
5'9 -- Laura --

Started July 23, 2009 -- 246.6
Restart: June 13, 2010 - 241.6
July 18, 2010 -- 235 .... - 11.6 lb loss in ~1 yr.
Back Again: January 13, 2012 -- 242.2 lbs

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:53 am

Hi, KCCC! Lamb chops sounds wonderful! I love lamb, but I didn't grow up with it, and have never cooked it. No, I take that back, I made lamb stew in the crock pot once. You just don't see a lot of it in the South.
Natural Eater

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks for the replies! It's so nice to know people are listening.

FrugalTexan... Running BAREFOOT? I'm rather amazed. I did that on the beach this summer, but don't think I'd consider it for regular running. What is the attraction in it for you?

Buttercreampillow - I'm also from the South, and had to look up how to cook lamb/mutton! My sister raises sheep primarily for wool, and she and her husband evidently destined some for the freezer this year, and they shared. So, I am learning to cook it, and just trying simple things. The chops had a lot of outside fat that I cut off. Then I just pan-fried them in olive oil with garlic and oregano, and they were really good. Not sure on how "done" they need to be, though.

Thursday
Exercise - running. I did the "graduation mix" from Podrunner - same interval as the last Couch to 5K, with a slightly faster tempo. I am still just a hair below three miles in the running time, though.

Br - oatmeal, raisins, nuts
L - watermelon, and a "leftover mix" of couscous, sauteed bell pepper, and feta.
D - lamb chops, lol! Not sure on the sides.

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:54 am

Yep, running barefoot. :) I could say I like to be different .... :) But the real reason is that I had started training for a half-marathon and the mileage was just going too fast for me, and some old injuries were acting up. So I started doing some research on running techiques that helped you not get injured - and found Chi Running and the idea of running barefoot. I read up on both of them, and had my first 4 minute barefoot run in mid-July and absolutely loved it!

Today should have been a 14 minute run ... but it turned out to be a no-minute no-exercise at all day. :(
5'9 -- Laura --

masher

Cooking lamb

Post by masher » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:54 am

Living in the UK means that we have access to lamb most of the year from the farmers' markets. I also grew up in the American South so did not have lamb until I was in France and 30 years old. Oooh la la

I love it, and like you find pan frying the trimmed loins, noisettes or chops in a little garlic and fresh herbs is heard to beat. We like ours med -rare, so definitely pink inside for the best flavour. When it is colder outside, slow cooking a shoulder or a leg for 6-7 hours is also tasty and v easy. Cooked over the weekend, it provides scrumptious meals for at least a couple of week nights. There are several recipes for seven hour lamb, but I usually use Patricia Wells' or Jamie Oliver's.

Good luck,
Masher

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:23 am

Being an Aussie, I grew up on lamb. It was much cheaper and more freely available than any other type of meat, and certainly much more so than chicken (which was our special Xmas dinner). Mum would put a lamb leg on to roast slowly (3 hours) before church every Sunday when we were children. The leftovers would be recycled as lamb curry on a monday night or on sandwiches for lunches. Lamb chops were always grilled. Good quality lamb sausages are also good on the BBQ.Every now and then lamb brains and lamb's fry were on the menu - can't say I ever took to them though my elderly mother would crawl across broken glass for a lambs brain cooked in garlic. :-)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:05 pm

masher wrote:Living in the UK means that we have access to lamb most of the year from the farmers' markets. I also grew up in the American South so did not have lamb until I was in France and 30 years old. Oooh la la

I love it, and like you find pan frying the trimmed loins, noisettes or chops in a little garlic and fresh herbs is heard to beat. We like ours med -rare, so definitely pink inside for the best flavour. When it is colder outside, slow cooking a shoulder or a leg for 6-7 hours is also tasty and v easy. Cooked over the weekend, it provides scrumptious meals for at least a couple of week nights. There are several recipes for seven hour lamb, but I usually use Patricia Wells' or Jamie Oliver's.

Good luck,
Masher
funfuture wrote:Being an Aussie, I grew up on lamb. It was much cheaper and more freely available than any other type of meat, and certainly much more so than chicken (which was our special Xmas dinner). Mum would put a lamb leg on to roast slowly (3 hours) before church every Sunday when we were children. The leftovers would be recycled as lamb curry on a monday night or on sandwiches for lunches. Lamb chops were always grilled. Good quality lamb sausages are also good on the BBQ.Every now and then lamb brains and lamb's fry were on the menu - can't say I ever took to them though my elderly mother would crawl across broken glass for a lambs brain cooked in garlic. :-)
Thanks, both of you! I wasn't sure if lamb/mutton could be eaten rare, or if it ought to be well-done (like pork). It came out a little bit pink, and I was worried, so am much-relieved.

Hard to imagine chicken being expensive and "special" - it's a such staple at our house. For us, the lamb is special, lol! (The view from the other side of the world is fascinating, isn't it?)

Will look up recipes from the cooks you recommend, Masher, if I can locate them.

Ended up not eating lamb last night, because I got home late and my guys wanted to go out for pizza. I let them go without me, and scrabbled together a plateful of odd-and-ends that I liked for supper. Some cut-up bell pepper, cheese, yogurt, a leftover biscuit and a few crackers... it all fit on one plate, and I enjoyed it. And I enjoyed NOT COOKING since I got home late anyway.

Friday
Exercise = Pilates and yoga, and hour's worth. Loved it. I am a bit achy, and not sure why, and the stretching helped.

Br - oatmeal with nuts and raisins
L - Chinese. Shrimp with vegetables... with a small egg roll and a chicken wing and egg drop soup. I left the rice, but still am a bit over-full. If I sub the soup for the rice, it was one plate - albeit a bit large.
D - Time for those lamb chops!

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:57 am

Friday night - lamb chops, stuffing, limas, and apple slices. Very good. I had a hard time NOT eating seconds (I love stuffing), but managed. Missed on BLTs, though. Friday nights are always a bit hard.

Saturday
Got in my run, but intentionally made it "an easy run" - a bit on the slow side. Didn't want to push it, since I'm a bit achy (hip hurts) and I'm running another 5K on Monday. So, good enough...

B - bagel and cream cheese (a whole one - I usually do half)
L - PB&J and apple slices, with a handful of nuts
Snack - 3 dried figs and a few nuts (I adore dried figs)
D - went out because it was a birthday dinner. Italian - very good. I ate some of the appetizer (bread with white bean dip), and "half" a spinach salad and had an order of pasta with shrimp. I boxed up half of the pasta immediately, which was a good move. I knew I'd keep eating it, and wanted to "save room" for dessert. My dessert was tri-berry cream cake, and it was wonderful.

A mah-vel-ous S-day. I could have eaten a little less at dinner, but it was all delicious and we lingered over it so I never felt over-full. Still, I am REALLY glad I boxed half my pasta, and glad I didn't eat too much in the afternoon so I could enjoy it.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:21 pm

welll done, KCCC, that sounds like an excellent S day!
fun
x

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:20 am

Another wonderful S-day...

Exercise - Pilates routine

Breakfast - canteloupe (1/4) and two slices toast
Lunch - Ryans. I had a plateful (ham, salad, portion of baked sweet potato, roll) and a dessert that I ate about 1/4 of because it just wasn't that good.
Snack - I made a dessert that I really truly wanted, and had one serving early. More on that in a minute. (I was actually hungry, but everyone else ate so much at Ryans that we were having a late dinner.)
Dinner - I had the rest of my pasta from last night. It was an AMAZING quantity on my own plates - really a plateful by itself. And that was "half" the serving!! It really didn't look like that much on their huge plates or in the small-but-deep take-away box. Puts my dinner yesterday into perspective... much larger than I thought. (But it was still good. I'll just never eat a full dinner serving from there again, now that I know this.)
Dessert... I made chocolate mousse, which was WONDERFUL. So, had one serving for my snack, and one after dinner... and I am so done! But I loved it, and will make it again.

For the mousse, I used the Hershey's recipe (http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes ... sp?id=5124). I was astounded that they said it made 4 servings. Those would have been enormous! I turned it into 6, and thought those were plenty large.

Today has just been full of "lessons on serving size."

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:49 pm

Today is an S-day for me... not because it's Labor Day, but because it's my birthday! :) (I do love that, every few years, the whole nation celebrates with me.)

I started it off right with a 5K run to benefit Habitat for Humanity. And I really did run most of it, albeit slowly. I walked two short stretches, one when I hit the 30 minute mark (my normal running time) and once closer to the end when I was just tired. Total time 38:11, which is not impressive but better than last time. A very nice start to a new year. As an extra bonus, my hubby ran with me - his first race ever - and seemed to enjoy it. (Though he runs regularly, so left me in the dust, lol! As did the dad running with two kids in a stroller and his five-year-old beside him. These races will keep me humble!)

Br - bagel, 1/2 banana, handful of nuts.
L - chicken quesadilla, strawberries, dried figs. Some more mousse for dessert - my birthday treat!
S - last of the mousse!
Dinner - plate of leftovers... stuffing and chicken, with added salad. And that half-banana I left earlier (fine as part of a meal). May have a tiny square of dark chocolate to end.
Last edited by kccc on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Happy birthday!

Great job on the 5k run too. The time doesn't matter so much as the fact of just getting up and out there. That is more than most people do. (At least that is what I tell myself when I cross the finish line at 44min+.) :D
5'9 -- Laura --

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:10 am

Thanks, Laura! That's what I'm telling myself too... and I'm proud of myself for just DOING it. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:03 pm

Tuesday

Exercise
One mile on the elliptical (low impact motion) to warm up, followed by yoga with a lot of hip-openers. My right hamstring has tightened up badly (old injury) and my left hip is sore. I did take naproxen after the race yesterday, which I think was wise, and this was EXACTLY the exercise I needed today.

B - 1/2 bagel, cheese, banana
L - 1/2 bagel, cheese, salad, leftover butterbeans
D - 15-bean soup (courtesy of the freezer), crackers, fruit (Have an evening meeting, so have to be fast)

I made the mistake of weighing this morning, after 3 S-days. Should know better, but I thought they were pretty reasonable S-days and hey, I ran a 5K! But after the 5K, I came home and sat on my butt all day (knitting and watching movies and reading). And, though I didn't perma-snack, my meals were definitely more hefty than usual - plus my desserts. And it was THREE S-days. So, shouldn't be surprised. Sigh.

At least I know not to panic, and just to keep on keeping on with normal habits.

ksbrowne

Post by ksbrowne » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:46 pm

Thanks for the chocolate mousse recipe. I'll have to try it. I've been looking for one that's good, but also simple to make.

Kathy

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:49 pm

ksbrowne wrote:Thanks for the chocolate mousse recipe. I'll have to try it. I've been looking for one that's good, but also simple to make.

Kathy
I liked it. My criteria was no raw eggs, so this worked for me.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:33 pm

Yesterday was a RED day because I went back for a second handful of crackers. Bummer. At least I didn't eat more when I packed them for my son's school snack. (Kind of an all-natural version of Wheat Thins - I could eat the box!)

A minor, non-idiotic transgression... but I'm calling it.

Wednesday
Exercise - Full Pilates routine

Br - bagel with PB and banana
L - out with hubby - TBD
D (planned) - pasta with clam sauce, salad, fruit

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:10 pm

Just dropping by to wish you a belated happy birthday - don't know where the days are going! Hope you had a nice one - your race time was excellent!

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:18 pm

Thanks, Mimi! Always nice to "see" you. :)

Lunch today... went to a local deli we like, and I ordered their veggie sandwich. They do a nice one, with hummus, good cheese, and a TON of veggies, on a choice of breads.

The bread I like best is rather small, so they give TWO sandwiches (as opposed to one big sandwich cut in half). And I've always eaten them, even when they felt a bit much. Hey, they fit on a plate, and I don't have chips or anything else, right?

Today I looked at that, and thought "That's really two sandwiches. The bread is not that much smaller than what I'd have at home." So, I got some fruit on the side, and just ate one.

Now I'm hungry. Not starving, just hungry. Like I'm supposed to be at this time of day... and like I haven't been in a while.

I think I really DO need to attend to portion sizes a bit more.

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:41 am

KCCC, happy belated birthday! Sorry I missed it. Sounds like you had a good S day.

I'm impressed with how you're dealing with portion sizes. It's so hard to tell in restaurants. Maybe I should just assume right off that it is too big before I even lay eyes on it. :)

buttercreampillow
Natural Eater

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks, Buttercreampillow! :)

Yesterday's dinner was as planned. Fruit was 1/4 banana and some grapes.

Thursday
Running day - 5 minute walk, 30 minute run, 5 minute walk, followed by stretches. I did the "faster" podcast version (more beats per minute), but didn't track distance. (My gym's track is small, so it's 17 laps to equal a mile. Too much to count some days. And whose idea was it to make that a prime number, so figuring out partial miles is not easy?)

B - oatmeal with raisins and nuts
L - leftover veggie sandwich, apple, yogurt (the sandwich IS a tiny bit small)
D (planned) - salmon burgers, veg from freezer, fruit

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:16 pm

Yesterday's dinner was as planned. Veg was cauliflower/broccoli blend and some salad and fruit was grapes.

Exercise - Muscle strength class. I will be sore tomorrow.

B - oatmeal with nuts
L - not sure. I packed one, but may be going to lunch with a friend
D -TBD

Hm... I don't like being this unplanned. I have some lovely homemade bread at home - may do sandwiches for supper. Especially if I don't get to eat my lunch sandwich on that bread. Or omelets and toast - haven't done that in a while. Something easy, at any rate.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:02 pm

Well, yesterday's lunch turned out to be my packed PB&banana on homemade bread plus apple. And dinner was out, in an attempt to make a necessary errand more festive and fun. My hubby and I SPLIT a fajitas at Chili's, just ordering extra tortillas - and we both had plenty.

Saturday

Exercise - a running day. I took it easy, and added some walking.

Br - homemade bread and butter. 3 slices (they're half-slices, because the full ones are big).
L - PB & J, 1/4 cup nuts, milk, SOOO good
Snack - 2 homemade cookies. I'm baking multiple batches for a church thing tomorrow.
D - I have lamb in the crockpot. Will probably serve with potatoes or rice and something to be determined. I love that it will be ready without fuss this evening.

Rather low on veggie/fruit today, I notice, but I am SO LOVING that bread. It's been a while since I've made whole-wheat bread, and it is just so good!

ETA - Dinner was lamb with barley, salad, and broccoli. Very good. However, I did go overboard on cookies (have TOTALLY lost count) since I was baking aaaallll day. (Two little friends of my sons have told me this week that I make the BEST cookies. I love being a hit with the 8-year-old crowd.)

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:58 pm

Sunday was a wreck. I was over-busy with church (meeting from 8:30-10:30, then teaching a class, then the "Activities Fair"). No exercise. Breakfast was a banana and whole-wheat muffins I took to the meeting. Lunch was essentially SWEETS - every table had cookies or cake or something to attract potential volunteers. When I got home (around 2), I had some nuts and cheese to try to counteract some of the sugar, but kept munching on leftover cookies.

Slowed down and had a real supper, which helped, and stopped the madness at that point. (Supper - salad, canteloupe, corn, and sort of a hash out of leftover rice and lamb with a little gravy made from the meat juice minus the fat.)

It was an S-day, and it's done. But I'm really glad to be back on No-S today!

Monday
Exercise - Pilates class
Br - oatmeal with nuts
L - cantaloupe, salad with nuts and raisins and cheese, homemade bread
D (planned) - pasta with ricotta, strawberries, salad.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:53 pm

Monday was as planned. :)

Tuesday

Exercise - running day

Br -oatmeal w/nuts and banana
L - Leftover pasta with ricotta, carrot sticks, salad
D - Honey-dijon shrimp w/brown rice, salad, some other veg/fruit

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:29 pm

Tuesday - subbed out a different dinner, which I'd originally planned for Wednesday. So, will have the shrimp/rice tonight.
Wed Dinner - sausage, baked potato, salad and banana

Br - bagel, PB, banana
L - Leftover pasta from Monday, carrot sticks, apple
D - Honey dijon shrimp, brown rice, veg (probably broccoli) and fruit (probably canned peaches). Maybe bread if I get my act together.

Exercise is technically green, but pretty low-level - 15 minutes of Yoga. We'll see if I can fit in anything else.

Update: I did make bread (mmm, I love homemade bread!) and my fruit was a special treat - fresh figs from a friend's tree. :) I really love figs - am planning to plant my own tree this fall/winter. (I remember seeing on Masher's thread about having figs and goat cheese as part of her dinner, and feeling jealous. If I'd had any goat cheese - or time to go to the store - I'd have added it.)

Also, I learned that the gym was going to be CLOSED in the morning, dang it! The good news is that information galvanized me to get in my 2.5 miles tonight instead of in the morning. So... we'll see what I can fit in tomorrow.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:03 pm

I am sick. Felt a little "puny" running (did my distance, but walked more than normal), but put that down to running a different time of day, right before dinner, etc. Then the scratchy throat started, and the sinus drain. Yuck.

So I'm home today, drinking hot tea. I'm not tremendously ill, and might have gone in to work, except (a) I don't want to "share" (b) I have work I can do at home and (c) it's raining, and I hate the long drive in the rain. Oh, and today was Convocation, so while I would have enjoyed being part of the group, I couldn't have done much work anyway.

Woke up last night with my tummy upset from sinus drain. I always want to eat a lot of bread when I'm sick, to soak that up... decided on hot milk instead, in the hopes it would help me sleep. It didn't - but it did help the tummy. A good thing to remember.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:08 pm

Hope to hear you're feeling better soon KCCC. I'm only on day 4 of my "confinement" and I'm already wondering how I'm going to make it for 6 weeks...I'm normally an active person, so this is very difficult. I need to be verrry careful for the next two weeks until I'm recasted. Then I think I can get out a little with crutches. I'm hoping anyway...but still, no weight on the ankle for 6 weeks. Ugh! :roll:
Take care of yourself!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:33 pm

Thank you for your kind thoughts, Mimi... and back at you! I'm feeling icky (fever just makes me useless), but I know I'll be back on my feet faster than you will, and am sorry you'll be laid up so long!

Today was a totally idiotic day. I did eat bread all day long, as well as other stuff in greater quantities than normal. All "real food" (no sweets, nothing I wouldn't eat as part of a meal), but very carb-heavy and a lot of it. Wish it made me feel better. "Sick" is an S day, and I am just not going to worry about it.

The worse part was telling my 8 year old son that his much-looked-forward-to sleepover tomorrow night will have to be cancelled because I'm sick. We both cried. :( I hate disappointing him so much.

My husband (my hero) has offered to take both boys to Chuckie Cheese instead, and I think that will be a good substitute. (I go to Chuckie Cheese with gritted teeth, under great duress only, so it's a big treat. And of course, since I hate it, my son loves it.)

Been a hard night. The little guy was trying to bounce back, and he and hubby were going out to eat so I didn't have to cook... went to check the mail, and my son was being helpful and reached in to get it, and the inside of the mailbox was covered with ANTS!!! They'd infested it since yesterday, maybe driven by the rain we've been having after a lot of dryness. We shook off the ants and attended to the bites (not many, fortunately).

The only good thing is that everyone is trying to get past all of this and pull together... I'm glad for that.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:01 am

Sorry to hear you're not well. My son is 9 and I'm glad he seems to be 'over' Chuck e Cheese!

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:28 pm

Still sick. Seems so unfair to be sick on a weekend. There are two events I'd planned to go to that I won't be attending (I really believe in not sharing germs, especially when I'm pretty sure this is the flu). One was my bookclub, and one was a potluck with other families, and I'm sorry to miss both.

Since it's Saturday, I also have my child here to entertain. Hubby needed/wanted to go to work - and he's been heroic already this week, so I don't begrudge him the time. But it's raining for the 4th day in a row, and I don't want to let my child play on the computer all day. Or me either, for that matter.

Ate a ton yesterday - kind of normal until about 3PM, then totally inhaling stuff. I don't know why I do that when I'm sick, but I do. Sigh. I will go back on vanilla no-s when this is over, and it will all be okay.

But for the record, I'm tired of being sick and I'm tired of rain, and I feel very whiny. So I'm indulging in a moment of whining before I pull myself together and re-adjust my attitude.

Just writing that makes me feel better, because I can see how silly I'm being. In the grand scheme of things, this is minor stuff. And as my sister so eloquently reminded me ("You don't have to be productive. Don't you Type A's know how to be SICK?"), I am allowed to rest and take care of myself and relax a bit. We can have a totally mindless day today, and both I and my son will be okay for it.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:11 pm

I hope you feel better soon!
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:45 pm

Thank you, Noel.

I am having a slow, restful day... I remembered an Audible kid's book I'd been saving for a long trip, and so my son and I have enjoyed listening to that on and off today. Now he is going over to a friend's for the afternoon, and I am going to sleep a bit.

marleah

Post by marleah » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:12 pm

Good for you on your 5k's! I've finally got up to running that distance, and I'm going to run my first actual 5k race mid-October. I would do one sooner, but it seems like there haven't been as many this fall as there usually are.

Hope you are feeling better! Don't worry about what you're eating - your priority is to get better!
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:56 pm

Marleah, I was very proud of doing the 5Ks, but disappointed that my completion of the Cto5K program didn't actually result in my ability to run the whole 5k. That's about 3.1 miles, and I estimate that I run about 2.5 in the running time used by Cto5k. Just a slow runner.

However, now I know this... knowing is half the battle. My new goal is to run the entire distance. :) Once I'm well, that is... I haven't run since Wednesday, and have accepted that when I start again, I'll have to back up a bit.

Nonetheless, when I look at "where I started from," it's pretty amazing progress!!

==
Still raining. Still sick. I'm going to go see the dr tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it's the flu. Temp comes and goes... when it's under 100, I'm pretty functional, over 100 and I just feel useless. Amazing what a big difference a little difference makes. Mostly, I'm worried about passing it on - we can't miss work if my kid gets sick. And I'm dutifully following advice not to go out, so feel like a quarantined leper. Thank goodness for knitting and the internet!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:24 pm

Still running a temp, but lower - 99.5 range rather than the 100-101 range. Dr can't tell if it's flu or not (the test is evidently not very sensitive - if it's positive, it's positive, but a negative could still be the flu). But it seems viral, respiratory, and the temp is definitely there. That concerned her the most - I'm to come back Thursday if not better. Hopefully, that won't be necessary.

So, I'm home again... though really, I feel enough better to feel a bit guilty. The bad weather (I'm in Georgia - roads are flooding near where I work) played into my decision to stay home. But I have some work I can do here, which will assuage my guilt. Once I start it. :P

Am getting back on No-S today (well, sort of yesterday too), and doing some gentle yoga. I know I'll feel better when I'm back on normal routine as much as I can be.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:10 am

Tuesday

Br - Bagel w/pb and banana
L - 15 bean soup (1 cup), cheese toast w/ tomato slices, canteloupe
D - Grilled chicken, salad, sweet potatoes, canteloupe
Exercise - 20 minutes of yoga

I still am running a slight temp, but feel pretty okay overall. So back to the salt mines tomorrow...

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:57 pm

Wed

Br - bagel, pb, banana
L - black bean and corn chili (1.3 cups - one would have been plenty, but didn't want a third of a cup left over. When will I learn it's okay to throw things out?), canteloupe, dried figs, one slice plain toast
D (planned) - chicken quesadillas with stir-fried veggies and homemade guac on the side - sort of a fake fajita. I'd do real ones except I have only a little chicken I need to stretch, and it goes further in the quesadillas.

Exercise - 30 minute walk. Not a lot, but something.

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:37 am

KCCC, hope you had a good day today and that you are all better. Thanks so much for checking in with me and the encouragement you offer. That helps me keep going when I'm not doing very well and just want to crawl off and forget the whole thing.

buttercream
Natural Eater

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:55 pm

Buttercream, I'm glad it helped. I think one of the reasons for No-S's success (beyond the core sanity of it) is that this group is so supportive. As long as I've been doing No-S, there are times I need to hear a little encouragement - and that's often all it takes!

==
Thursday - physically back at work.
Exercise - instead of running, I did about 45 minutes of Pilates and Yoga. Some good stuff.

Br - oatmeal, nuts, banana
L - leftover chicken quesadilla (1/2) and peppers/onions/guac, salad, apple
D - will be eating out - one of those "% donated to your cause" things (in this case, Cub Scouts). Not one of my favorite places, and I can't seem to find nutritional info. Sigh. (I like to plan ahead for unfamiliar restaurants.)

Interesting thing... I usually eat a whole chicken quesadilla, and consider that a "serving." But I've been reading some articles on nutrition, and decided to try adding more veggies TO REPLACE some of the other things on my plate. I am STUFFED after lunch! Hope that it keeps me full until supper - we'll see.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:29 pm

Last night's dinner ended up being a veggie wrap with a side of broccoli. Not too bad.

Friday

Exercise: Muscle strength class

Br - oatmeal, raisins, nuts
L - salad w/nuts and bleu cheese (in place of dressing), dried figs, cheese and crackers
D - TBD, but it will include the shrimp I have thawing!

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:04 am

Friday night dinner - pasta with shrimp (Saute onion, garlic, and red pepper in olive oil. Add shrimp and cooked linguine. Top with parmesan. Yum!), salad. And wine. :)

Planning ahead for the weekend... we're going to an event where we'll need to do a picnic lunch. (Here's where I wish I had someone to make a bento for me... but I don't want to do it myself!) Since I don't feel like cooking, am making it easy...went by the grocery and got a rotisserie chicken and salad and grapes. Also got tortilla chips and some hazelnut pirouettes (one of the few bought cookies I still like) for a treat. I'll just throw the cool stuff in the cooler, and we'll be good to go. I really prefer having "real meals" during the weekends... with extras.

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:18 am

Your picnic sounds great--I love those rotisserie chickens from the grocery, even though I think they're a bit fatty. I guess that's what I love about them! :)

KCCC, just wanted to tell you that I took your advice about doing something easy for 15 minutes on the days I don't have time or motivation to walk, and it's great. I don't mind just moving my body gently for a little while, and I feel so glad once I'm done. Plus, I can even do it late at night and it doesn't wake me up, just relaxes me. Your advice was right on! Thanks! :)

buttercream
Natural Eater

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:06 pm

Buttercream, I'm SO glad that's working for you! :) Good for you for taking positive steps.

In all honesty, I've been amazed at what a difference such "low" (I thought) levels of exercise made to me. Physically, it shakes out stiffness and achiness I didn't even know I had. Emotionally, it builds confidence in myself, that I can stick to something. And it also just keeps momentum going, so when I do have a chance to do a bit more, I take it. (I think that "a body at rest stays at rest and a body in motion stays in motion" isn't about physics, it's about exercise!)