Working toward my first 21 successful days

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

silvermoon

Working toward my first 21 successful days

Post by silvermoon » Sat May 24, 2008 12:58 am

Checking in. I've been getting lots of good advice on the boards. I'm ready to start tracking my first successful 21 no-S days.

Day 1 -- SUCCESS.
Trying a cup of hot tea around 3pm really seemed to help get me through till dinner time.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat May 24, 2008 1:06 am

Silvermoon

One meal at a time. I find that when it gets really difficult it really helps to parse it down to just one meal at a time.

You will do great!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Mon May 26, 2008 1:28 pm

Day 2 -- S-Day. Hmmm... did I pick the wrong day to start my 21 days? The friday before a 3-day weekend. Oh well, I wanted to build on a successful day. Also, I got my sledgehammer this weekend!

Day 3 -- S-Day.

I have lost 2.5 pounds this first week of trying No-S, even though I didn't have many successful days this first week (ok, 2). At least picking up on the exercise and making a good attempt to cut back on snacks and sweets seems to be paying off. Hooray!

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Tue May 27, 2008 8:02 pm

Day 4 -- S-day (Memorial Day). This was pretty successful considering it was an S-day. I made an effort not to overdo it since I'm just gearing up.

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Thu May 29, 2008 4:46 pm

Day 5 -- SUCCESS. Oooh, color coding! I likey. It was surprisingly easy to get throught the 3pm time frame without snacking. I'm realizing how often I'm tempted to just wander into the break room (there are always snacks and candy available in there) for a mindless snack. Not b/c I'm particularly hungry, but b/c I'm nearby. Wow -- this is an eye-opener.

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Thu May 29, 2008 4:49 pm

Day 6 -- SUCCESS.

Today I'm realizing how much having access to coffee or tea is helping me through the tough times when I want to snack. I'm so glad I came across some of the pointers on the No-S diet board.

Also, I'm in training today, and they offer snacks out on the table in the afternoon (and pastries / bagels in the morning). Hooray for not succumbing to the temptation. Again, the coffee helped a lot with that.

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Thu May 29, 2008 5:55 pm

silvermoon wrote:Day 6 -- SUCCESS.

Hooray for not succumbing to the temptation. Again, the coffee helped a lot with that.
Good for you for sticking with it, eventually you will become the envy of everyone at work! Way to go! God Bless.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Fri May 30, 2008 10:52 am

Day 7 -- SUCCESS!!! Hooray for my first successful week with No-S!

Last week was just amazingly hard, but this week has been much better. I think tracking must be part of it. Now, if I blow it with a snack or something, then I don't just blow one day, I've blown all the successful days that lead up to it.

I haven't lost any weight this week, but I went up a bit and am back down to my weight from last week. I'm chalking that up to gaining muscle with the slugging. (I am the eternal optimist, yes?) :)

CatholicCajun, thanks for the encouragement!

TGIF!!

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:10 am

Aaaahhhh! The weekend. 8)

Day 8 -- S-day
Day 9 -- S-day

So, I haven't read the book yet, but I think I'm understanding the S-days gone wild experience... (I also recall hearing/reading that this is normal so I'm not gonna sweat it.) Actually, it wasn't horrible, but there was gratuitous chocolate consumed. And snacks were eaten when I probably wasn't all that hungry. Otherwise, I passed up ice cream twice and didn't really think twice about it.

And now I'm ready for another week of N-days and shugging! (I really like the shugging.)

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:10 am

Oh, sadness.

Day 10 -- Failure.

Today was another off day -- I was at a conference today. I wound up not eating enough at lunch and wound up snacking before dinner. And insult to injury, then we got ice cream after dinner. (I had already blown it for the day, you see.)

Argh. Well, the ice cream was just really too much, and I only ate half of a small one (and felt ridiculously full). Tomorrow is another day, and all that, but it's DAY 1 again. Serious bummer.

:?

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:10 am

Day 1 -- Failure. Ran into similar issues at my conference, plus I had dinner with a friend of mine, so dinner was even later than usual. oh well.

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:12 am

Day 1 -- SUCCESS! Hooray! I'm back on track today, which is a lovely thing.

I tried a new recipe for dinner tonight: Chicken and egg sandwiches. They turned out really good!

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:25 am

Day 2 -- SUCCESS!

Day 3 -- SUCCESS!

Wow -- parts of today were difficult. Thank goodness for iced tea and for coffee. Hey, look at that, an added benefit of No-S is that by god, I'll never by dehydrated! :wink:

Oh, also, I found the personal olympics thread today. What a good point about the tendency to get off track after blowing not just one, but 10 days worth of hard work. It really was a lot easier to slide on the plan on Tuesday, after I'd blown so many days worth of effort on Monday. My personal olympics may just be more of a personal record. This month I have X successful days, can I beat that number next month?

Or maybe I'll go for the gold medal approach... we'll see.

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:57 am

Day 4 -- S-day

Day 5 -- S-day

This weekend I tried not to go completely nuts, and enjoyed my splurges when I had them.

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:43 pm

Day 6 -- SUCCESS

Made it through. Wow -- there are some tough times to get through some days. I've added ice tea to my arsenal, especially since the temps have been stuck at 100 or more for the last few days! This is getting me through, tho', which is surprising (but good!).

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:24 pm

Day 7 (Tues) -- SUCCESS

Getting close to my personal best...

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:11 am

congratulations silvermoon!

Blueskighs

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:27 pm

Hi Blueskighs! Thanks for the encouragement -- it's good to hear from you.

Day 8 (Wed) -- SUCCESS

Made it through a picnic for my kids' afterschool group without eating (it was way too early to last me through the rest of the evening!). Just had some water.

Day 9 (Thurs) -- SUCCESS
This is as far as I've made it before, and I'm feeling strong...

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:10 pm

Day 10 (Fri) -- SUCCESS

Day 11 (Sat) -- S-DAY
... there was Goodberry's ice cream...

Day 12 (Sun) -- S-DAY
... there was Cold Stone Creamery ice cream... (equal opportunity ice cream eater!)

S-day's Gone Wild? well, truly I dunno, but I enjoyed it. :)

Day 13 (Mon) -- SUCCESS

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:32 pm

EOICE = "Equal Opportunity Ice Cream Eater!" That's a good one! I'm glad you enjoyed it. For me, I have what I want on the weekends and then just let it go. It makes my days during the week easy to do that way. At any rate, you are doing great! Keep it up! :)
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:38 am

Day 14 (Tues) -- SUCCESS!

OK -- that's two weeks. 2/3 of the way there, one week to go!! Woo hoo! AND only 2 days till the weekend -- yea!!

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:06 am

Day 15 -- SUCCESS!

21 days, here I come...

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:38 am

silvermoon,

you are doing FANTASTIC!

Blueskighs

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:49 pm

Day 16 (Thurs) -- SUCCESS!

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:30 pm

Day 17 (Fri) -- SUCCESS!

Day 18 (Sat) -- S-DAY

Day 19 (Sun) -- S-DAY

Almost there! Two more days to go...

Wow -- still really enjoying my S-days, but that's a good thing. At least now my "bad" weight days are 5 pounds less than they were a few months ago. Hopefully, the trend will continue.

I got back to Shugging this morning. I have to find something to spice it up a bit -- I'm getting a little bored doing pretty much the same moves every time. I have added some variations, like stoke the fire and chop the tree. I seem to be over my injury from last week. I tried to up the reps too much I guess and tweaked my shoulder a bit. Laying off a couple of days helped with that, though.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:27 am

silvermoon,
you are almost there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blueskighs

silvermoon

I did it!!

Post by silvermoon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:09 pm

Day 20 (Mon) -- SUCCESS!

Day 21 (Tues) -- SUCCESS! :D

Hooray! I made it through 21 successful days on the No-S plan. It's definitely gotten easier to stay on plan. Even today, I was going to let myself splurge, but at lunch there wasn't a goodie that I really wanted to eat, so I just skipped it. :shock:

I think my next goal is to work on exercising (either shugging or walking or walk/jogging) consistently for the next 21 days. Same type of schedule as No-S: 5 days on and 2 off days. Right now I'm thinking that the off days can be week days or weekend days, since sometimes it's easier to work in exercise on the weekends. We'll see how that goes... that'll be a new thread, and I'll open it up to see if anybody wants to join in. Nothing like a little support! (Right, Blueskighs!?)

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:11 pm

Silvermoon

CONGRATULATIONS on 21 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blueskighs

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:15 pm

Hi Silvermoon! :D

Big Congrats on reaching your 21 Days!!!

Good idea about exercise too! You can create a Habit Cal for exercise. That's what I have done.

Keep up the Good Work!

D

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:34 am

Thanks, Blueskighs and cvmom! I'm so tickled to have made it through to 21 days!!!

:)