Resting On A Journey

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:23 pm

Started my day after walking dogs with fresh figs right off the trees.

Wonderful NoS day yesterday.

Resting

Thanks Blue!

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:28 pm

Probably a bit too much chocolate this weekend but glad to have that option and still be on track. Here's to another NoS week!

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:28 pm

Had an 'S' day yesterday having coffee and splitting a pastry with one of my DDs. Still, the difference was the freedom to have that special time with her, count it as an 'S' day, not beat myself up about it, and NOT GO OVERBOARD AT ALL THE REST OF THE DAY! I consider it a success!

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:05 pm

Lovely weekend. Very restful. No overboard eating.

Resting

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:28 am

I just stopped by to say, "Good Morning" and I read your signature line....LOVE IT!!!! That's exactly what I want for this journey....to grow in wisdom & shrink in size....it's a perfect saying!

Hope you have a great day..

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:14 pm

Janie, thanks for that. NoS is definitely a "sweet" way to get to where we all want to be.

Too much candy yesterday. Even though it was Saturday and an "S" it was overboard. Looking forward to an "elegant" real treat today.

There is always so much to feast on at this site. I'm blessed and encouraged when I come here.

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:48 pm

Too much candy yesterday.
Resting,
I am amazed at the number of days I had too many cookies, too much pie, and too much chocolate :D and still the overarching direction is FORWARD!!!!!!!!!!!

ENJOY you're "elegant" treat today ... I am going to have TWO GRANDE Caramel Macchiatos and probably snarf down about three and a half pounds of watermelon .... :wink:

love love love it!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Tink

Post by Tink » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi Resting! Glad to see you are still here and doing great!:o Gotta run to work but wanted to pop in say hi and let you know i am back! I fell off the wagon but and today is day one for me.
A creature of habit; the No S habit!!!!

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:46 pm

Last night my husband told me of a new icecream he'd purchased and asked if I wanted any. I, of course, declined, but then that stuff kept calling me from the freezer. Eventually, I got myself a spoonful. It was SO not worth it. Yuk! and the day turned RED!

I've noticed that if I over do the sweets on the weekend, I'm all revved up for Monday and do well until Tuesday when the lack of sweets seems hardest. I kind of wonder if this is my body going through a weekly sweets detox or something. When I have a very moderate, but "elegant" weekend, the week goes much easier.

Learning, learning, learning-and just so glad to be here,

Resting

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:00 pm

resting52 wrote: I've noticed that if I over do the sweets on the weekend, I'm all revved up for Monday and do well until Tuesday when the lack of sweets seems hardest. I kind of wonder if this is my body going through a weekly sweets detox or something. When I have a very moderate, but "elegant" weekend, the week goes much easier.

Learning, learning, learning-and just so glad to be here,
Hi, Resting. I've thought this too. I have tweaked No S a bit to see if I do better with longer periods of No S. Every 5 days just seemed too much for me. I also think that the more sweets and breads I pack in in those two days, the worse it is. It's like a withdrawal. But if I stick to "elegant" perhaps it will be better. Thanks for sharing this.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:31 pm

Yesterday was another FAILURE but I'm NOT!

Today will be the first day of the next 3 weeks of SUCCESS!

Just watch me!

I'm so glad we have the support of these boards!

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:03 pm

resting,

LOVE your attitude,

Blueskighs

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:27 pm

Yesterday was a success! Here goes Day 2!

Resting :lol:

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:32 pm

Monday Monday :D

Today is Day 5 of my new 21.

What a difference this weekend was. I enjoyed lovely treats and events with moderation. I was in CONTROL. Instead of wondering if I could get that last Snickers bar in before midnight Sunday, I had a late evening diet soda (which I enjoy), a long soaking bath, and a good book.

Another big event was yesterday doing the Sunday drive with dh, stopping at Bojangles to use the facilities and NOT getting anything for me because I evaluated whether or not I really wanted any thing. In the past I would have just said, "It's Sunday, what can I eat?"

Yahoo!

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:35 am

Resting,

SOUNDS GOOD!

Blueskighs

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:22 pm

Today will be a successful Day 7. Have walked and plan to get a bit of work-work done and then come home and work in my poor neglected yard. Time to pull those carrots-I guess. Never have grown carrots before. But time to weed and trim. Glad I don't have to keep up with points (aka WW)accumulated by how much time spent gardening.

I love NoS!

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Went back and checked.

I've had 12 red days in the past 7 months. I guess I just never thought about looking at how many. Now that I'm going to allow myself a couple of NWS days per month I should pretty much stay out of the red. It was wonderful to be able to go back and see my habitcal and realize that I wasn't doing so horribly bad after all.

Resting

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:16 pm

12 reds in 7 months is great! Isn't it true that we tend to be so harder on ourselves than others? I think about your 7 months and think, "WOW....that's a LOT of green & yellow!" You've had 200 healthy-eating days! What an accomplishment!!!

janie

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:46 am

Janie,

How kind! What a great thought. I just hadn't added up all my green!

Resting-on day................8!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:14 am

So glad that picture helped...I'm such a visual person....can't ya just see this mound of 200 big, healthy green squares & just 7 measly, wrinkly red one? I also see weight-loss in terms of bags of flour, cans of corn & boxes of butter....I just know one of my old pair of jeans is going to fit if I just get rid of one more bag of flour...can't wait!!!!

Have a great green day!!!

janie

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:56 pm

Hello Tuesday,

Today is day 12.

I had one wise and one not so wise weekend day. Still, general wisdom prevails.

Looking forward to looking smaller.

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:36 pm

Hey Resting,

I had one not wise and one really not wise S days this weekend :D

But in the long run it is VERY CLEAR that I am eating less day by day week by week and now month by month ...

CONGRATULATIONS ON DAY 12!

Blueskighs

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:13 am

Thanks Blue,

Well today makes Day 16 and it really has been a lovely Saturday. Some very special treats at a workshop I attended and then popcorn for supper.

I was just noting on Blue's thread that I couldn't go any where else. I've looked at other places, certainly I've visited them all before. I was even summoned back to the vile WW this week, but no can do. This is the place that offers both freedom AND control. I'm not leaving.

Thanks to Reinhard and simplicity and the NoS way. This is certainly NOT a quick fix, but it is a true fix.

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:39 pm

This is the place that offers both freedom AND control. I'm not leaving.
I wholeheartedly agree Resting!

Blueskighs

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:06 pm

resting52 wrote:This is certainly NOT a quick fix, but it is a true fix.

Resting
What a great statement!!!

janie

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:35 am

Today is day 19 of my new 21. Hmmm. 2 more days. Will I fail??? No, I won't. Am I building habit? Yes, I am.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:48 pm

Okay-yesterday was day 21

I'm a grateful resting.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:00 pm

Hi Resting!!! Day 21!!!! That's wonderful! I love this plan....there are days that are difficult, but when you're right on track, doesn't it feel just plain right?

Congrats on three great weeks...

janie

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:15 pm

Thanks Janie,

Yep, and I'm going for the year now. Trying to brush off any fleas with names like Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach, fat flush, etc. They are so invasive and pesky.

Brush, Brush, Brush!

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:44 pm

Resting,

I love it!

Yes, brush, brush, brush off those pesky fleas!

Blueskighs

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:45 pm

Having thoroughly chilled on the beach for 2 days.......it is back to reality. It is amazing how extra sugar can make me say, "Bleaaaaaaaaah!"

Yeah, Blue, I like the fleas analogy. :)

Resting who is rested

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:23 pm

I've debated with myself whether to post this or not, and myself won.

I've so enjoyed NoS since April. If you had ever told me that I could basically eat whatever I wanted within such simple limits and even splurge to my wildest dreams on the weekends and not gain weight, I would not have believed it.

Still, here I am. The way I view food has totally changed. I'm free of an amazing weight of eating baggage that has held me down really all of my life. So, where do I go from here. Now I want to start losing some weight. I haven't done much of that. In fact, I'm 4 pounds above my starting weight-an amount I consider insignificant.

I decided I needed to know more about what a 140 pound person should eat since that is where I want to be. Doing the old calculations, I figured out basically what that would be. For me it is 7,3,3,5,2 which are the numbers of servings of different things. This is NOT about counting. For me this is all about being reasonable. But, it does mean that I need to be more realistic about putting both a huge slab of pizza and a heaping serving of spaghetti on my plate just because it fits and calling it a meal.

more later

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:34 am

home from work so here is more:

I've so enjoyed going back and reading The Book again. Reinhard talks a lot about first weeks overloading of plates until it is visually obvious and that that's okay. I just haven't gotten beyond that point. I'm never hungry. I over indulge fairly consistently on weekends. I started thinking, "Am I eating all this food just because I can, because it is allowed, or because I'm hungry and really want it and am enjoying it?" The answer became clear to me.

So, I'm putting a loose "fence around the law." I've started joyfully adding those veggies and fruits obviously pushing some of the BIG servings of less healthy goodies off their turf. I've been more mindful about WHAT I'm eating in a grown-up way. Since my appetite has been tamed, I don't feel that insane drive to eat like a spoiled child. My plate is still full, it is just much prettier. As I've scaled back, I've even gotten hungry to the point I'm looking forward to my next meal.

The funniest thing to me is that NoS has made me free to the point of instead of HAVING to eat (or not eat) certain things, (counting, measuring, etc. yuk!)I actually want to eat healthier.

So here is my path-and it is just mine,. Please don't misinterpret my path to be adding to NoS. It is just fine, in fact, perfect, the way it is. This is just where NoS has taken me.

Probably you are thinking, "Good grief! (Or as Cajuns say, "Poo Yie!") You mean you just figured this out???"

I'm a slow turtle of a learner, but I keep plodding toward the goal.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:26 pm

Lovely day yesterday and very green.

Fruit and cereal for breakfast
Veggies, chicken and brown rice stirfry out for lunch-boxed most of it and gave it away
Veggies, beef and brown rice stirfry for supper YUM!-will pack some of this for lunch today.

As I was out shopping for dinner last night, I picked up cheese, butter, bread, bacon, and soup with the plan of making grilled bacon cheese sandwiches and soup. When I got home, there was the leftover steak, lots of veggies and I made the switch. Delicious, colorful, filling and a healthier choice. Maybe tonight will be the grilled cheese.

Resting

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:55 pm

You sound as if you are ready for the changes you outline, having first established good habits first.

I think they're the hardest... and the most important.

Just remember to be gentle with yourself, and make your changes gradually. (There's an old post I wrote about "5 degrees of change" that kind of applies.)

Best wishes!

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:33 am

Thanks, KCCC,

I like the idea of 5% change. I kinda see myself as doing this. I'm just going to keep on enjoying NoS and act a little more adult while doing it. I refuse to count or measure anything. :roll: I've dome to far to go back to that insanity. I just need to make my life a little healthier along the way.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:07 pm

So today feels like my very first S day. I'm needing a plan. Haven't eaten yet and am waiting to formulate plan before I do. Maybe just a Starbucks treat like a frappachino. Maybe a trip to the French pastry shop. Anyway, I know I do NOT need to act like a kid in a candy shop with no restraint.

I'll ask on the general discussion board for ideas.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:22 am

Well, I certainly would not use this weekend as an example of Stelar quality. A neighbor actually brought this amazing caKe to our store as a thankyou gift for allowing her to pick our flowers as part of her morning walk. So kind of her. then out to Mama Dips for lunch after church . It was my Ist Mama Dips experience and well worth the wait. I savored those fried green tomatoes and horseradish sauce. yuuum! I guess my main complaint about me would be that even with these great foods, I still snacked, just because I could.

Still, I'm happy to be learning and I'm always a

Grateful Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:21 pm

Monday was a success. I knew I was going to be having dinner out with dear old friends and that one of them was bringing a special dessert. My day was like an 'N' day with a dessert at the end. I'm thinking (actually I know-based on reading the 'S' day parts in the book) that that is how an 'S' day, at least most of the time, should look. It was wonderful! Coming home I thought about how I could snack since the day was an 'S' day, but chose not to. Yay me!

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:46 am

Resting,

YES .... absolutely YAY YOU!

Blue

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:11 am

Thanks, Blue,

Now I'm at Day 35 of my new renewal. I'm watching more of what I eat...Making sure the veggies and fruits go on the plate first has been a bit of a challenge but also a good one.

It is so sweet to be CALM about food.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:10 pm

Heading back to my favorite renewal place-the beach. After being so virtuous about more veggies and fruits, I ended up junking it at Chik-fil-a. I know that is certainly allowable, but I'm wanting to walk wisely. Sigh!

Here's to a peaceful couple of S days.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:27 pm

Yesterday makes 6 weeks (42 days=2x21) back on habit.

Why is this easier this time? Is it because I no longer feel like a kid caught with her hands in the cookie jar? I've sneaked food for as long as I can recall-a sure way to add excitement into eating. I liked what someone posted about having a habitcal of No Sneaking. Who are we hiding from? Certainly not ourselves at this point.

The biggest issue to me here is the freedom. I'm not doing something bad if I put two rolls on my plate. In the past I would feel shame because only one roll (or 1/2 a roll with fat free butter-whatever that is) would be ALLOWED! I would be breaking the rules!

It has taken a long time for me to accept this freedom as natural.

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:34 am

Yesterday makes 6 weeks (42 days=2x21) back on habit.

Why is this easier this time?
Resting,

that is FANTASTIC! I am so glad it is easier ... I think we get so much internal growth and insight in the process, and then there's just the good ole "habit" thing ... :D

Blueskighs

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:24 am

Hi Resting,

I'm so glad you liked my No Sneaking mod (I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of it actually, but I recently posted about how much it has improved my No S experience). I totally agree with you that one the biggest appeals of No S is the feeling of freedom. Sneaking just brings out the "naughty," food-rule breaking kid in all of us. After all, what does a kid caught with her hand in the cookie jar feel? Shame. What does feeling the shame make her do? Sneak more cookies! None of us wants to live that way anymore.

Instead, No S brings out the sensible, real-meal eating grown-ups in all of us. It makes us feel that there's a time and a place for treats and we 100% can and should eat them, totally out in the open--shame need not apply!

Yay!

-habitualrunner

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:15 pm

Blue-thanks for the encouragement-growth, insight, habit!

Habitualrunner!

Thanks,

I couldn't remember where I had read the NoSneaking habitcal

Isn't that funny habitualRUNNER and NoSNEAKERS????

To me a lot of this is about growing up and growing free.

Yesterday was green again.
As it pertains to sneaking, the evenings when dh works are the hardest. I eat my dinner alone in front of the television. No one sees me load the plate. Last night I looked at my plate and the room left on it next to the bowl of beans and grilled turkey sausage, the fresh pineapple................I had a handful of tortilla chips that fit there nicely. But, the grownup in me (who is becoming more powerful) got a handful of salad greens and plopped them in much of the spot, leaving a small place for a few chips. Perfect!

Growing up is satisfying.

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:17 pm

Growing up is satisfying.
Resting,

WHO KNEW? and I absolutely agree!

Blueskighs

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:19 pm

but it is this freedom that is allowing me to grow up.
Resting, pulled this quote from your comment on Habitualrunner's thread ... you are on a streak! Very wise one! I love that ... it is the freedom that is finally allowing me to "grow up" too!

Thank you for posting this astute observation,

Blueskighs

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:47 am

Hi resting-

"Isn't that funny habitualRUNNER and NoSNEAKERS????"

That is funny, LOL :D I hadn't noticed that before. I'm definitely at my best when I'm wearing my sneakers, and not being one!

This discussion about growing up is a great one. Clearly the three of us (you, me, and Blue) have plenty of years between us but it's taken No S to help our eating habits to mature--and not a minute too soon I say!

-habitualrunner

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:57 pm

Thanks for the comment, Blue

Hey Habitualrunner,

Glad you got a chuckle out of the sneaker thing. I'm happy when I'm wearing mine since it means I'm outside walking the trails.

On Growing Up.....

Chapter 2

Weekends

This weekend, taking my cue from an old Reinhard post, I have marked off my S's. I chose to mark them on my hand in ink. IIII and then a slash (/). Some where pretty insignificant-2 dove chocolates at work, or today, a bite of a potato pancake after church but definitely not part of lunch. Small things, but things that I would NOT do on an N day. Oh, and a dear friend gave me a peppermint before church-ate that, marked that.

The final results will be in tomorrow, but so far, just keeping up with this has made me more aware. I set an arbitrary limit of 5 S's each day knowing that the sky is the true limit. How do I feel? I feel in control, smart, satisfied, adult. I'm choosing and enjoying my S's instead of grabbing without thinking. I like this.

Resting

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:56 am

Resting, I think ENJOYING is really the key. Blue taught me that, and Reinhard's post on "S-days gone wild." I have found that PLANNED, PURPOSEFUL treats serve me much better than perma-snacking through the weekend. They're just satisfying on a much deeper level.

Hope you enjoyed every snack you had!

Cheers,

KCCC

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:13 pm

Dear KCCC,

Thanks for your wise words. I feel like you've got my back. Are you wondering if I'm returning to the dark side? A prisoner to counting and measuring? Any time you sense that, please wave the red flag. I'm grateful you are here.

The rest of Sunday was wonderful. I'm such a numbers person. I play with numbers for fun-math problems are a treat! So for me to add numbers to my S days actually made them MORE REAL and much more enjoyable. I think the difference again here is that instead of being compelled and commanded to count or measure due to an outside force controlling me (AKA-any diet I've ever been on) this time it is MY CHOICE! I'm FREE to choose instead of being compelled to. I can't even explain what such a sweet freedom like this means to me.

It was good for me to note how many times my hands put food in my mouth outside of the 3 a day basic plan. I have been allowing myself to pretty much graze, on pretty much anything, all weekend long. I know that I'm still completely free to do that. But, making the marks focused my attention on my choices. And hey, I gave myself 10 S's and used 9 of them. The difference was looking at an S and deciding whether I really wanted it or just planned to stuff it in because I could.

Oh, and I had saved this incredible piece of a frozen custard pie all week and savored every bite. Yumm.

So the weekend was a rousing SUCCESS!

So thanks again, KCCC. I did indeed thoroughly enjoy my weekend.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:23 am

Day 233 of NoS
12 reds to date
48 days on habit.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:56 pm

Lovely, delicious, thankful Thanksgiving.

How wonderful that most of those Thanksgiving leftovers can fit like islands on ONE PLATE. The yummy desserts will wait for one more day.

Thankful that Thanksgiving was about being thankful, not about points, portions, or pounds.

Resting

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:19 pm

Resting, I so agree about Thanksgiving! I enjoyed the food, enjoyed the family, and didn't feel a bit guilty. How refreshing!

You sound as if you are doing GREAT with your counting-mod - that it's serving its purpose of reminding you to ENJOY your snacks!

Cheers,

KCCC

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:15 pm

Thankful that Thanksgiving was about being thankful, not about points, portions, or pounds.
Resting,

It IS really nice to get things into proper focus. I swear this was probably my best Thanksgiving ever for the same reason, my mind was on totally OTHER things than obessing, fussing, over such numbers!

Blueskighs

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:04 am

Thanks y'all,

After 2 birthdays, 1 Thanksgiving, 2,000 miles, many sweet Visits and memories, it is time to return to the day to day.

No Regrets!

I've enjoyed every treat. I've certainly learned, "If I don't like it, I don't eat it!"

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:57 am

Today was a success and more than that, a victory. It could have been my 7th straight "s" day because it was a special day- the big annual Christmas party for our shopping center. I opted to get my lavish dinner along with the cheesecake and carrot cake desserts and eat back @ the store. As I ate I argued with myself about the specialness of this day and my right to enjoy these treats. then wisdom won out. I offered the desserts to one of our employees to take home to her husband and son. It was done. I couldn't take them back and the day became a solid green.

thinking about this holiday season versus the last. I was doing WW, and my life revolved around food. I was so into low fat and low calorie cooking that I didn't stop to decide if I actually wanted the food I made myself eat. The goal was to survive, not to enjoy. What a draining way to live! As I look over the past 6 days and think of all the delicious goodies, I Know that I actually ate Less than I have in years. How sweet to skip the big side order of guilt.
Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:49 am

I offered the desserts to one of our employees to take home to her husband and son

wow! what a beautiful choice!

Blueskighs

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:07 am

I continue to be amazed by this journey.

Have I actually, finally decided to grow up?

My meals have been reasonable, moderate, healthy.

I am somewhere beyond thrilled and astounded.

R

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:37 pm

resting52 wrote:Today was a success and more than that, a victory. It could have been my 7th straight "s" day because it was a special day- the big annual Christmas party for our shopping center. I opted to get my lavish dinner along with the cheesecake and carrot cake desserts and eat back @ the store. As I ate I argued with myself about the specialness of this day and my right to enjoy these treats. then wisdom won out. I offered the desserts to one of our employees to take home to her husband and son. It was done. I couldn't take them back and the day became a solid green.

Resting
Resting....WOW!!! Talk about a victory! This was delightful to read....and how encouraging! This is where we're all striving to get...to a place where we enjoy food, but it has no hold over us at all. I'm so glad i read these posts....I'm so very happy for you....and excited for all of us who are determined to stick to this plan indefinitely. THIS is what it's all about....THIS is freedom from food. Well done Resting!!!

janie

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:59 am

Thanks Blue, the choices are coming more naturally.

Thanks Janie-how sweet! Your response was like a light bulb going off. How true-this is what we all want. Freedom to enjoy, instead of being held captive, to our desires for FOOD FOOD FOOOOOOOOD!

I'm here. SO glad to be here.

I love Blue's suggestion to give it a YEAR!

Today was green-so this makes 8 weeks and 2 days living NoS

Let's see, early start walking the dogs, call from friend in passing out back pain, opening the store, taking friend to doctor because her dh at work, back to store, on to pick up friends for an intervention-never had to do that before, back to close store, home for dinner and fell asleep on dh's shoulder watching tv, more drama than I want. Thankfully, in the midst of my crazy life, I don't have to stress about FOOOOOOOD! I'm thankful to the Lord for so many things. NoS and all my NoS friends are way up there. Oh, and I had 3 reasonable, healthy meals as well. Isn't that wonderful-the food is like a second thought-not the focus of my day!

Tomorrow I will limit my S's to So-Special-Treats-To-Savor! And I'll start with French pastries and coffee with one dd before work. YUM!

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:40 am

Wonderful Sunday,

I SKIPPED breakfast before church, knowing we would go to early service then out for lunch. Surprisingly, (not), I didn't pass out from hunger.

Enjoyed my treats-

Enjoyed my family,

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:31 am

Surprisingly, (not), I didn't pass out from hunger.
:lol: that was funny!

Blueskighs

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:00 pm

Today, as it turns green, will be 9 weeks on habit. Hey, that's 3X21!

Just posted on Kathleen's note about the "emotional brain". I know that my brain has changed. That is so weird, but also so wonderful. I think that part of me has finally realized that I'm not going to starve or punish myself with food again and is at peace. Very cool.

Resting

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:53 pm

Resting-

Way to go on 3X21!

-habitualrunner

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:47 pm

Congrats, Resting - both on the 21X3 days and on the recognition of how your brain has changed. :)

I describe it as "making peace with food" after years of an "armed truce" at best.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:11 am

Thanks, y'all,

Oooooo, I like that:

"making peace with food" after years of an "armed truce" at best.

What a great quote!

I've been reading back through old (really old) journals, from college days, early newborn baby days, the children growing up days, etc. I've been slamming myself forever, believing that I AM my weight. Rarely does a page or 2 go by without me complaining about my failures to be the right size.

A dear friend wanted to talk today about whatever the latest diet craze is. I poured out my NoS heart, my changed brain, by sure self. Why would I want to devote another minute of my precious time on this side of Glory stressing about what goes in my mouth? My heart was for her to be set free and stop limiting her life, always waiting until she "gets it all right and gets small enough to feel good about her weight"! Goodness, I sound like a NoS thumping evangelist! Woo!

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:10 am

Why would I want to devote another minute of my precious time on this side of Glory stressing about what goes in my mouth? My heart was for her to be set free and stop limiting her life,
Resting,

Congratulations on your 3X21, and your post above made me think how difficult it is to convey the "experience" of No S, it is really something you have to "just do" to truly comprehend!

Blueskighs

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:04 am

Still green or yellow.

Looking at the Christmas week. Still so much to do. Only 3 parties left until Christmas day and all that goes with that. The focus here HAS to be moderation with understanding....or that favorite Common Sense.

Remembering all the Weight Watcher Christmas advice from the past-counting the points in the stuffing and cranberry sauce. YUK!

Am continuing to wisely add more color to my meals.

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:25 am

Resting,

hope all of your parties are fun! and you have wonderful merry christmas and a very happy new year!

Blueskighs

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:58 am

Certainly one of The healthiest Christmases ever, and there was no stuffing!
Pun intended
Staying green on my green And reasonable on my yellows.
Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:00 am

here's to a new year!

Glad the abundance of yellow is behind me and I'm heading toward greenland

resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:44 pm

Still keeping the green days green, or at least I'm pretending to. Too much virtual plating. I'm a little discouraged-but I see that on the regular discussion boards as well. My needs are to cut down on that virtual plating, experience some hunger between meals, and add more of the healthy stuff. Nothing I haven't embraced before.

Resting

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:22 pm

Hi Resting! I don't think virutal plating is bad, as long as you really are doing it consciously, and proactively, and not just as a retroactive way of explaining away snacking patterns.
It's far better I think, to have a red day marked down, than to pretend about stuff. So just try to be honest with yourself, and learn whatever lesson is meant to be learned from it.
Real positive changes will come. It's a very challenging process.
Don't be discouraged. You can do it! :D
Peace,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:50 pm

Still somewhat discouraged but certainly not defeated. Same issues as before. I had my first red day in months or at least I acknowledged it as red. There were probably others that I didn't acknowledge.

But, as always, there is no other place to go. I know that I couldn't stomach heading back into dietmania. I've made my peace with food and haven't the heart to go back to war.

Resting

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:02 pm

Resting, don't be discouraged because you come back to the same issues. It happens to us all.

I see life sort of like going up a mountain path that circles around the mountain. I keep seeing the same territory over and over, but from a different perspective. Each time, I bring what I've learned on the prior turn, and see a "bigger picture." So, I don't feel I'm regressing, just revisiting and refining past lessons. There are some lessons I will revisit countless times (given my personality), but if each time I can do a little better, then my path continues to go forward and upward.

Okay, it's rather corny, I admit. But it works for me. :)

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:11 am

KCCC wrote:Resting, don't be discouraged because you come back to the same issues. It happens to us all.

I see life sort of like going up a mountain path that circles around the mountain. I keep seeing the same territory over and over, but from a different perspective. Each time, I bring what I've learned on the prior turn, and see a "bigger picture." So, I don't feel I'm regressing, just revisiting and refining past lessons. There are some lessons I will revisit countless times (given my personality), but if each time I can do a little better, then my path continues to go forward and upward.

Okay, it's rather corny, I admit. But it works for me. :)
KCCC....What a great analogy! And as long as we just keep putting one foot in front of the other, we just keep moving. With every green day...with every bite-sized victory (pun intended), we are moving closer to our goal....to have the freedom to look out on life without it being clouded by food or weight or anything that weighs us down (sorry...second pun not intended!).

Resting....hang in there g'friend! One step at a time we'll get there!

Thanks for the encouragement, KCCC....

janie

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:38 pm

KCCC

Brilliant! That is such a wise analogy, comforting, encouraging, and certainly packed with truth. I've got the visual to match my situation.

Thank you!

Hey Janie,

Thanks to you too.

I had a green day yesterday!

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:15 pm

Yesterday was a victorious red day. Takes me back to early days of NoS. I made some very delicious bread for dinner, and then after dinner, cleaning up the kitchen, I broke off another piece and popped it in my mouth-not even really thinking about it. About 30 minutes later

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:24 pm

ooops! Had to run for a second.

so...........about 30 minutes later I realized what I had done and that the day was now RED! The victory came in the realization that since I had made it a red day, now I was free to make it a really red day. I was also free to simply mark it and move on. At that point there was really nothing that tempted me enough to make me consume it. This is where the freedom comes in for me. The freedom NOT to eat when I'm allowed to.

Right now battling friends, co-workers and family members that hint at WW or other programs. Still, I'm just so content to be here, no longer looking at food as my enemy-friend.

Resting

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:29 pm

Resting....that sure sounds like a victory to me! Well done!!!

janie

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:37 pm

I'm being consistently green but not really losing much weight now. My thoughts are again toward looking at my plates and deciding what I can leave off if I want to lose. Freedom to choose to lose.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:05 pm

What a wonderful week-so thoroughly green, a wise yellow yesterday, and wise plans for today. Read Proverbs 8 today. All about wisdom.

I'm so thankful for the healing that goes on here.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:05 pm

Fantastically wise yellow weekend. Special treats, special sweets-only enough to enjoy, not gorge.

Something has changed and it is good.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:28 pm

One of the wisest and best things I can do when I'm feeling discouraged about this journey, is to read others's posts. The commonality of the struggles, the joys, the determination, the changes, the relief always lifts me up.

I'm so thankful for this community.

Resting :)

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:57 pm

wonderfully sane weekend.
I know I've read posts @ this site about intuitive eating or some such but I never really explored the, "Am I Hungry?" road before. I can honestly say that I'm so thankful I didn't go there first because it would have Kept the NoS healing from happening. Now I feel safe enough to ask myself how hungry I am and filling my 3 plates accordingly. I'm safe because if I'm wrong I can really load up the next plate-one layerfull, of course, and enjoy away. I'm safe because I have the option to pause during a meal and consider whether I really want any more or if finishing my plate will make me uncomfortably full. I'm safe because whatever I decide, it's just fine. It's the Safety and the freedom of those 3 Simple 's's that both restrain and relax me.
Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:09 pm

Thinking about my lunch. Choices. The only reason I feel no anxiety about choosing carrot sticks over Doritoes to go with my soup, is that I'm totally free to have either, or both.

Free means free indeed.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:08 pm

One of the best things I can do is go back and read my own posts. It gives me the anchor of remembering where I came from and gratitude for where I am.

Resting

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:12 pm

Hello, Resting! Nice to see you!

You do have some wonderful posts to read. :)

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:08 pm

Continuing the plan. Loving the ease. Losing the weight.

Resting

la_loser

Lovely!

Post by la_loser » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:48 pm

What a lovely and fitting tribute to No S.

Thanks for sharing! Take care.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:54 am

back again. fell off the nos wagon to try to lose faster and found only pain. Why leave freedom, control, healthy, sane eating?

been green and yellow for 10 days.

Resting

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:46 am

good day to me!

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:48 am

good day!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:28 am

resting52,
Welcome back! I went off the No S diet but kept on posting. I lost no weight in an entire year but learned my lesson!
Kathleen

resting52

checking in again

Post by resting52 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:10 am

Well here I am another year older.

I've been away at Spark People and really loving the site and just found out that there is a NoS team on Spark! Wow! I joined it and that led me back here. I'm a much healthier Resting now, down about 35 pounds, running 2-4 miles per day, eating good things, better lab values, etc. But, it has gotten tough to substance account and so I take the good and leave the boring. I'm back for another dose of sanity.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:49 pm

resting52,
It's nice to see you back. I'd like to hear more about the impact of "substance account" on you. Thanks.
Kathleen