Mime's Weekly Check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mime

Mime's Weekly Check in

Post by mime » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:33 pm

Week One

Hi,
I am scared to start posting, afraid of failure, but this plan seems so common sense that I am planning to make it my life's eating plan. I have gradually added weight the last 24 yrs, after my first baby. It is long past calling this post baby weight!! I have tried The South Beach Diet, Weight Watchers, calorie counting, Best Life Diet, You on a diet, mindful eating, and most recently a hypnotism tape. I then alternated the diets with periods of overeating with constant snacking. I was of the belief during all this time that frequent snacks will boost my metabolism even while on the diets.

"The Best Life diet" and "You on a diet" do have similarities to the NOS diet, but I found them still overwhelming. I wanted something very simple. So on May 28th I was determined to find a simple plan on the internet or make one up myself that I could follow. I searched Google with a search of "simple diet." There I found the NOS Diet in the results. Three rules with one exception and a web site too! I was excited!

I have already been walking 4-6 times a week for an hour at a time, sometimes longer. This helped me lose 8lbs. (I was 189 lb. in August of 2007), but I need an eating plan to help me. I started NOS Diet May 28th at 181 lbs. and am presently 177.5 lbs (3.5 lb lost since starting). I have also added working out on weight machines at a fitness center (3x/week is my goal).

I have listened to most of the Podcasts for inspiration. It makes sense. I can remember when I was young, we never snacked between meals. We had breakfast and I remember getting so hungry for lunch, and then dinner. I haven't been hungry like that in ages -- until now. I actually feel real hunger for lunch and dinner and also really enjoy my meals now! Before I would snack all day, and would not be hungry for lunch or dinner, but would still eat since it was time to have a meal with my family.

I look forward to posting occasionally and reading about others experiences.

Start: 181 lb. - Waist 33 in.
Now: 177.5 - Waist 32 in.
Last edited by mime on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mime

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:45 am

Welcome, Mime! Sounds like you are well on your way, with the exercise and changing your eating plans!

I have to agree with you, that it is great to really be hungry before meals!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:44 am

We had breakfast and I remember getting so hungry for lunch, and then dinner.
interesting insight! I didn't quite have that experience growing up :D but am starting to have it now,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

mime

Post by mime » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:07 pm

Thanks for the welcome CrazyCatLady! Blueskighs I enjoyed looking at your blog, I am going to try the curried egg salad sandwich this weekend.

Yesterday was a good NOSDiet day. Had a great 1 hour walk in the evening, and I enjoyed 3 meals. My husband made popcorn last night. The popcorn smell was very enticing, and sitting on the other side of the room helped squash any temptation.

Breakfast: Kashi Go Lean Crunch mixed w Kashi go Lean with Walnuts
Lunch: Slice cheese/onion pizza, broccoli salad, almonds and 1/2 banana
Dinner: Chicken salad on toasted sour dough, broccoli salad

* I also enjoy a few lattes with skim milk during the day -- I consider it essential and not a snack. (no flavorings, more espresso than skim milk)

I made a huge batch of broccoli salad (minus bacon, light on mayo) this week! I plan on making a lot of cold salads this summer to have on hand.
Mime

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:03 am

I am going to try the curried egg salad sandwich this weekend.
hope you like it ... obviously I love it! it pretty much gets rave reviews when I take it to potlucks AND it is just so darn easy to make!

Sounds like you are doing great and good job with that popcorn. My husband is a popcorn fiend!

Blueskighs

mime

Week 2

Post by mime » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:06 pm

Week 2
I lost a 1/2 lb this week, so my total loss so far is 4lbs. I am very happy and it hasn't been a struggle. It has been an adjustment! On my first exception day, Saturday, I kind of felt entitled to snack or that I should snack. At the end of the day I wished it was just a NOS day!! I had snacked on a lot of salt & pepper pistachio's and had a water gain of 2 lbs -- which depressed me! On Sunday I felt a lot better when I cut back on snacks and skipped dessert.

My week:
Breakfast: Cereal combo with walnuts. Sundays- eggs, potato, & english muffin
Lunch: Various sandwiches with a couple sides of either salad, carrots, berries or some fruit.
Dinner: Aiming for a diet of chicken, fish or vegetarian meals. Had a great vegetarian lasagna this week that was dinner for more than a couple of nights.

Start: 181 lb - Waist 33 in
Now: 177 lb - Waist 32 in
Mime

mime

Week 3

Post by mime » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:04 pm

Week 3
No changes in my weight or waistline this week and I have to admit I am disappointed. I am sticking to the diet plan well, but I just discovered that I am doing it slightly wrong. I was browsing the forum and saw there is a one plate rule; to be honest I haven't read much except the basic tenets of no sweets, no seconds & no snacks. When I plan a meal I decide what I am going to have and I might be using a plate with side bowl/plate. I always stick to what I have planned whether it be a bowl of soup, salad, bowl of berries on the side of my main dish. Sometimes I finish what I have planned, other times I don't. I think I am going to stick to this, because I want this way of eating to be simple and not too complicated. I like my salad on the side. If I don't keep losing, I might switch to the one plate rule. When I was in Weight Watchers they advised to start at the high side of your point range and said you can always going lower if you need. My weekend went better, with a lot less snacking.

From looking at my Habitcal I am not getting in the weight lifting or ab work as planned -- my goal is 3x/week, so I will be working on that.

Now: 177 lb - Waist 32 in
Last edited by mime on Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mime

mime

Week 4

Post by mime » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:54 pm

Week 4
This week went well, except for a sore knee that curtailed my walking and weight lifting. I have to remember moderation in everything. I upped my weights on my leg exercises too rapidly and now am paying for it with an aching knee!

I had a great week for weight loss, losing 2.5 lbs. It makes up for not losing last week and reminds me to stay patient. I did all No S days over the weekend, my husband was gone on a trip and I didn't feel like snacking or having a desert. I will definitely go back to S days this weekend. When we shop at Costco on weekends, it is a ritual to try all the samples!

This week my meals included:
Breakfast: mix of Kashi cereals with added walnuts or almonds.
Lunch: chicken sandwiches or bean burritos for lunch, side of veggies.
Dinner: Whole wheat pasta dishes, vegetarian pizza, barbecue chicken, spinach salads on the side
extras: 2-3 skim milk coffee latte's/day and an occasional glass of red wine

Now: 174.5 lb - Waist 31.5 in
Mime

mime

Post by mime » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:03 pm

Week 5
I lost 1lb this week and the most exciting thing is that when I plug my weight & height into online BMI calculators, I am no longer in the "obese" category!! I am now just plain overweight! Another good thing that happened this week is that my bad cholesterol is now in normal range.

I am very happy with the NOS diet and my walking. I worked this week on increasing my frequency for weight lifting and doing a Pilate's ab video. I am still eating the same as previous weeks and am so happy that I don't have to think too much with this plan.

Now: 173.5 lb - Waist 31.25 in
Mime

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:01 am

mime,

all of that is great news!

Blueskighs

mime

Post by mime » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:35 am

Thanks Blueskighs!!
Mime

mime

Post by mime » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:25 pm

Week 6
I am holding steady this week, nothing lost, nothing gained. I might not have lost weight or inches this week, but I feel thinner! My celebration this week is that I need to buy new clothes. My goal is to go through my closet now and toss all the big and baggy things.

Now: 173.5 lb - Waist 31.25 in
Mime

mime

Post by mime » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:24 pm

Week 7
I had a 1.5 lb loss and I am really happy, things are slow but my weight is dropping and my hips & legs are losing inches faster than my waist. Things have been busy lately, but I am sticking to my NOS plan. I had one special "S" day this week that went well -- it is my first "S" day that wasn't on a weekend. Speaking of weekends, this weekend we are traveling & there will many get-together eating events! I am concerned about going "wild," so I am trying to focus ahead of time on how I'll eat.

Now: 172 lb - Waist 31.25 in
Mime

Joelle

Post by Joelle » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi mime,

Congratulations on all your successes. When I read the post about you no longer being in the "obese" category, I got a little choked up! That is such a great milestone and one I look forward to. I wish you continued success.

-Joelle

[/quote]

mime

Post by mime » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:00 am

Week 8
Thank you Joelle for words of encouragement! Moving out of the obese category meant a lot to me. I was shocked when I realized I was considered obese, but then this is part of my past denial system. I was just looking over old photos from the last two years and am surprised how large I was getting, I just didn't realize it or maybe I did, but I would put it in the back of my mind.

I just had a vacation that involved family get-togethers & it was so nice to have others notice my weight loss. I was larger last year than my start weight (lost 8lb from walking before NOS & 5lbs before that on another plan)

I am staying the course with the NOS diet, this week no weight loss, but did lose a quarter of an inch on the waist.

Now: 172 lb - Waist 31 in
Mime

mime

Post by mime » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:00 am

Week 9
No changes this week. I have slipped on walking & exercise and today was my first failure day on NOS eating plan after two months.
I will need to get a bit back on track, A stressful extended family event is now occurring, and it is hard to be in a routine. That is why the exercise is slipping & why I had my first NO s failure day. I just needed a bit of chocolate tonight -- I really thought about it and said go ahead I deserve the stress relief. The truth it didn't taste that good, was awfully sugary and my stomach isn't feeling so good now. I was almost tempted not to do my weekly log in, but thought that is a bad sign, just the same as not wanting to weigh daily, when that happens I start slacking or pretending I'm not making bad choices. So here is my weekly post. I think I'll be off kilter for a few weeks with all that is going on, but I know I will get back on track -- I find this plan to be a way to live plan, and actually feel better when I am on my NO S days then the exception days.

Now: 172 lb - Waist 31 in
Mime

laguna

Your success is encouraging

Post by laguna » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi Mime,
I have just read your weekly check-ins and find them very informative. Your journey of the past 9 weeks is very encouraging to me. Thank you for sharing your experiences and I wish you continued success :)!
ilovekitties

mime

Post by mime » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:59 am

Week 10 & 11
Thanks for your kind words Laguna. I hope I can offer encouragement. I am getting back into NOS, I have been out of town living out of a suitcase due the family situation I mentioned. I didn't follow the NOS plan while gone, I had no routine going, but I think the NOS plan kept me eating more reasonable. My decision, while gone, was to put the NOS plan on the back burner till I got back home. I did gain 1lb during this time and 1/2 inch on the waist,

Getting back on track I am first focusing on the NOS plan and then walking. I'll deal later with starting weight lifting and the ab routine.

Now: 173 lb - Waist 31.5 in
Mime

mime

Post by mime » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:14 pm

Week 12
I am doing well with NOS this week, had one special day where I just had a slice of cake, but otherwise was NOS. I am getting my walking habit back on track and will start my weight routine next week. I have not lossed weight this week, but my hip measurement is the smallest it has been - so things are going on.
I am switching my weekend from Sat/Sun, to Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. I saw another member had done this, and it makes more sense with less frustration for me. My husband always breaks out the popcorn Friday night & I want to enjoy the official start of my weekend.

Now: 173 lb - Waist 31.25 in
Mime

mime

Post by mime » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:54 pm

Week 13
I have lost a 1/2 lb this week. This week was a mixed week. I walked 6 days this week, which felt great and I am so glad to be back with that habit. A hour walk an evening beats a hour spent in front of the TV!

I had one failure day with my NOS plan this week. I need to start anew for September and refocus. I have been pretty much sticking to the plan, but I think I have not had the healthiest food choices.

I am refocusing only on the habits of the NOS eating plan & walking. I decided list my goals to keep me motivated. I guess I am struggling a bit and hope this will get me back on track.

Now: 172.5 lb - Waist 31.25 in
1st Mini Goal (start 9/1/2008): 167 lb- Waist 30.5 in
Ultimate Goal: 145 lb - Waist 27.5 in
Present Habits: NOS diet - Walking
Mime

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:12 am

Hi Mime,

Just wanted to drop in and say, "You're doing great!". I don't know if today is a day of encouragment or discouragement, but you are consistently working toward health so that's a HUGE success! I've tried a ton of diets over the years too...none with lasting success & I'm determined to be healthy....to put this obsessive dieting stuff away for good. Even if I don't lose weight fast, I want to keep eating well...and I sounds as if you are well on the way to doing that too.

I love your mini-goals...I might steal that idea!

Have a great day....janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

mime

Post by mime » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:17 pm

Week 14-21
Hi! I had stopped Nos, but have been walking occasionally and my diet has been regular without binges. I did have a heavy eating period due to a vacation, but I am actually happy I didn't gain excessively. I am 2.5 pounds more than week 13, but my waist is the same. I am ready to recommit to NOS. I actually think NOS had "programmed" me to not go crazy during this time.

Restart: 10/27/2008 (175 lb - Waist 31.25 in)
New 1st Mini Goal (start 10/27/2008): 170 lb & Waist 30.5 in
Ulltimate Goal: 145 lb - Waist 27.5 in
Present Habits: NOS diet - Walking - 10 min Ab's
Mime

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:21 pm

That's great mime!
Keep up the good work.
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

mime

Post by mime » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:36 pm

Week 22
I had a good week back with a 3lb weight loss. I did my walking, but haven't fit in any strength training as of now. The first day back was rough, because I got used to a lot of snacking, but after the 1st 24hrs, my habits seemed to fall in place. I even made it through Halloween without snacking, but unfortunately on my S days there was a lot of candy to snack on. I asked my husband to take it to work, so I won't be tempted during the week.
Thanks Debs for the words of encouragement, I hope everyone has a good week.

Now: 172 lb - Waist 30.75 in
Mini Goal: 170 lb & Waist 30.5 in
Mime

mime

Post by mime » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:57 pm

Week 23
I had no loss this week, but I had a great walking week. I am starting to add intervals to my walking to make it more interesting & give me more of a workout. I really enjoyed doing that. I had 2 NOS failure days this week.

Now: 172 lb - Waist 30.75 in
Mini Goal: 170 lb & Waist 30.5 in
Mime

mime

Post by mime » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:10 pm

Week 24
I had a great week, but with no weight loss. I had all green days & did my walking. You would think I would be upset without weight loss for 2 weeks, but I feel so good & healthy. I think back that I haven't weighed 172 lb since over 6 years ago, and how I never thought I could be successful at losing & keeping my excess weight off. I am not young anymore and I am content that things are just going to take longer for me. I am just excited to be 172 lb and holding.

Present: 172 lb
Oct 27, 2008 : 175 lb - Restart NOS/walking after 8 week "break"
May 28, 2008: 181 lb - Discovered & Started NOS & continue walking
Aug, 2007: 189 lb. - Started a walking routine
Last edited by mime on Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mime

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:28 am

Mime,

love your attitude,

Blueskighs

mime

Post by mime » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:20 pm

Week 25
Hi, Thanks Blueskighs for the compliment. I had another good NOS week, all green days and walked 4 days, plus had one aerobic dance session, but I am still at 172lb. I believe in "set points." In the past I have been at weights that I have stuck to whether I ate healthy or indulged. Actually, 172lbs is a weight in the past that I was at for a very long time. Well I am going to keep plugging away.

I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

Present: 172 lb
Mime

mime

Post by mime » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:19 am

Week 26
I had a 1/2 lb weight loss. Not a bad week, but I traveled over the holidays leading to a red day on Friday & Monday. I am sticking with NOS & walking.

Present: 171.5
Mime

mime

Post by mime » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:56 pm

Week 27
Oops, I had a gain this week of 2.5 lbs. I can't complain, I had four failure days-- my fault. It is like Thanksgiving triggered an overeating spree and an attitude that I screwed up so I might as well screw up more. I'm at the point that I overdid it so much that most food doesn't look too good to me right now. I think I'll slip back into NOS today without too much of a problem. I did work out with weights one day & did some of my walking, so I didn't have a total failure week!

Present: 174
Mime

mime

Post by mime » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:27 pm

Week 1 - (Fresh Restart 3/13/2011) (sorry if this is long)
Hi,
I have been away for a few years (3 yrs.) When I look at my posts from 2008 (pretty nice that they are still there) I see I really stalled out. It was a stressful time with a death in the family and then the holidays and other life stress going on, I turned to food, which is I guess my drug of choice! I felt at that time I needed to get a handle on dealing with emotions, and turned to trying mindfulness and banished the scale from my life. I think it was a wonderful learning experience, and I am still working on being mindful every day. I learned I would eat to numb from feeling my feelings, but the funny thing is that if you don’t feel them, they are there and come out in other ways. The practice I try follow, is to feel or acknowledge the feeling, even if it is unpleasant. Frequently it dissipates, or lessons over time, and it gives you the opportunity to evaluate and deal with what is going on. It is like using a pause button. Just to mention a line from one of my favorite comedies, “Modern Familyâ€. One character in the show says something like “We don’t deal with feelings in our family; we just sweep them under the rugâ€. Then his son in law says something like, “But then it gets to be a pretty bumpy rug, easy to trip onâ€. I really like this little analogy!

So using mindfulness, and really making health eating changes: All whole wheat products, healthy fats, veggies, some fruit, rarely eating red meat, adding a lot of fish to the diet and only snacks of nuts & dark chocolate -- I found myself in the doctor’s office in August of 2010 at 184lb and with some abnormal lab work. I realized I am mindful to a point, but I have a good denial system too & my mind wasn’t estimating my weight accurately (clothes do stretch). I realized I needed some tools to keep me aware, just like taking your blood pressure and I realized weighing will be a tool to keep me in touch with my health.

At that time Dr. Oz introduced a “Just 10 planâ€, and I embarked on it in September, 2010 at 182lb. and I lost 10 lbs over 5 months ending February this year. I have been at a plateau of 172 for the last month. The part of the Just 10 plan which helped me, was the part of not eating after 8:00pm. The other parts of the plan I was pretty much doing. I got to thinking I needed something more to jump start my journey to health/weight loss, and remembered the ease of the NOS plan. It has guidelines you don’t have to think about too much, a support system through the board, and I love that Habitcal to remind me what I am really doing. I must say my first day was extremely difficult, and it may be also that it was the first Monday after the time change. I was starving between meals, and chewed gum to keep me occupied. I realized, I had been grazing with food throughout the day, and it was an adjustment, but also an eye opener. The next day was amazingly easy, but I did put a little bit more on my breakfast plate to help! I noticed just like I did in 2008, I am enjoying my meals more now.

I’m glad to be back, but realize it will probably be and up and down road, just got to stay on it.

This week my meals included:
Breakfast: 1 Omega3 egg, 2 cups wilted spinach with a dab of goat cheese, whole wheat toast, and ½ bananas. (I ate this every day)
Lunch: bean burritos for lunch, side of veggies/ fruit, or leftovers from dinner
Dinner: Tofu stir fry, whole wheat pasta dishes, vegetarian pizza, or fish
Extras: 2-3 skim milk coffee latte's

Start: 172 lb - Waist 32 in
Now: 170 lb - Waist 31.25 in
Mime

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:59 pm

Welcome back. Are you still walking? Walking is very helpful, in my experience.

Good luck!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

mime

Post by mime » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Thanks for the post!
I guess I left out that I am walking or using the elliptical and doing weights.
Mime

mime

Post by mime » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:06 pm

Week 2

All I can say is that I'm ecstatic to have broken the 170's, I am 169 this week! I haven't been in the 160's for a decade, and for me it is breaking a big barrier. I wasn't sure I could do it, I have gotten close, but just never got there.

Now: 169 lb - Waist 31.25 in
Mime

mime

Post by mime » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:01 pm

Week 3

This was a good week, did NO S diet M-Fri, hit my 21 day mark this week. I lifted weights and exercised 3x this week and also did a walk. Lost one pound, which is great, I have always been a slow loser since I've gotten older.

So for 3 weeks I've lost 4 pounds on NO S, this is better than I expected. On my previous plan (Just 10) I lost 10 pounds over 5 months.

Now: 168 lb - Waist 31.25 in
Mime

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:55 pm

It's really been only a little over 2 years that you've been gone-from Dec of 2008 to Dec. of 2010 is only 2, plus the three months since then. And you came back weighing a little less than when you left! Good job!

I hope you'll allow me to rib you a bit. Did you notice that on your last post in 2008 that you said you thought you'd slip back into No S without too much of a problem? Oh, our rational minds! My first bout with No S was in October of that year. I lasted until Thanksgiving and it was another 15 months before I committed to it. But I weighed a lot more by the time I returned.

I'm enjoying your posts! continued success.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

mime

Post by mime » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Week 4

I'm in a holding pattern this week, kept my weight at 168. Was a good No S diet week, I lifted weights and did some aerobic workouts. The weather is beautiful, so I am doing yard work too.

Mime

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:03 pm

good job.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

mime

Post by mime » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:35 pm

Week 5
No Change this week, but still on No s and exercising. Not a surprise, I always plateau and lose slowly, but still happy with this plan.

Mime