anovelgirl's check in....

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

anovelgirl

anovelgirl's check in....

Post by anovelgirl » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:58 pm

First day on NoS, and am very excited. It's been a long time since I've had a good "diet" (not really thinking of this as a diet, more of a lifestyle change) to follow, and I can't wait to get started. *Love* the simplicity, as I'm all about simple things these days.

My first big NoS decision came this morning - I cut down the amount of flavored creamer I use in my coffee. It tastes MUCH less sugary! :lol: Duh, right?

Will be back tomorrow a.m. to post about my first day.

:D
Last edited by anovelgirl on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:08 pm

Welcome and good luck to you, novelgirl!
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

anovelgirl

Post by anovelgirl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:36 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome! :D

Day One: SUCCESS?

I did really well all day, considering it was Father's Day, the weekend, and in my mind, a bonefide "S" day. :lol: I decided when I started this way of eating, however, that I would go the weekend and the week until having an S day.

At some point I'll need to incorporate more veggies and fruits in my plates ~ right now, I'm just getting myself accustomed to the plan. My foods were totally moderate, no huge plates, no really fatty foods - just simple, plain Janes, except for our Father's Day supper, which was all of my husband's favs. I didn't finish my plate, however!

My only flub for the day was when the children and I were in the kitchen cooking for supper. As usual, we all began snacking on whatever we were preparing - totally mindless snacking! I'd eaten one strip of bacon and a pinch of FF onions before I realized what I was doing! Argh! I stopped right then, however, because I consider snacking while cooking still snacking. My son, who is doing the plan, too, was outside with his dad at the grill, so he didn't snack - very proud of him.

Surprisingly, I found I was hungry between meals, which was wonderful to experience...I wasn't sure how much I was "snacking" when I first considered this plan, but now I know -- I was! So I'm already learning things I was either in denial about, or wasn't paying attention to.

On to Day Two...no biggie. This has been a pleasant and enjoyable way to eat, and I'm finding that I appreciate my food so much more. :D

anovelgirl

Post by anovelgirl » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:25 pm

Day Two: Success!

No issues or problems yesterday - day went well, and I ate moderately. Added more liquids into my day, all SF. The snacking was definitely a problem for me before NoS, I'm finding. I don't know how many times I'd think to myself, "Hmm, such-and-such sounds good right now!" - and not be hungry at all, just craving.

:evil:

anovelgirl

Post by anovelgirl » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:19 pm

Day Three: SUCCESS!

Really hungry all day yesterday, but also did a lot of just sitting around (boredom). Didn't cave, however - stuck it out, and made it through the day. Added quite a bit more green tea to my day, and more veggies.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:14 pm

anovelgirl,

your doing GREAT!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

anovelgirl

Post by anovelgirl » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:39 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence, blueskighs!

Day Four: I'm calling it a SUCCESS!

Varied a little yesterday, due to unusual circumstances. We were over on the other side of town and love to go through the Starbucks drivethru...so I substituted a caramel frap for one of my meals, but I also got a medium rather than my usual large, and I didn't have the whipped cream and caramel topping - just the drink itself. Was going to just have an S day and then not have one over the weekend, but decided to substitute a meal instead. I'm not sure how that works, but I wanted to try it and see.

Weighed this morning just for kicks, and I'm down 1/2 a pound....was a little disappointed, but then I remembered that I've been eating pretty much whatever I like, so I felt better. Plus - my clothes are fitting looser, amazingly enough. I wore my running suit pants yesterday and they weren't as tight as they've been prior to No S.

anovelgirl

Post by anovelgirl » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:18 pm

Day Five: SUCCESS!

I got my book in the mail yesterday, and have already read most of it - good thing, too! There's quite a bit of explanation, things that make a TON of sense to me. My son's doing great, staying on plan and already has lost 5 lbs. I'm not sure what I've lost at this point, but I'm not even looking until Sunday, which will be 7 days since I started.

More and more, this is becoming less about the weight loss and more about the better habits. I even avoided my youngest son's coffee flavored jellybean he was saving for me yesterday! :wink:

Tomorrow's an S day, and I don't even know what I want...but I know the importance of having that S day, regardless. I'll have to decide what sounds good to me - maybe I'll just eat a snack or something? No idea at this point...

anovelgirl

Post by anovelgirl » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:45 pm

Day Six: SUCCESS! It was an S day, and I didn't go nuts, just relaxed. Had some chocolate, snacked a little, but felt some strong restraint about just going crazy with my food. It just wasn't a big deal to me. :D I left the option open, just didn't feel I needed to go there!

Day Seven: SUCCESS! Yesterday was my craving day, but again, didn't go nuts. Let myself just sit in that feeling of craving/hunger (False hunger, I call it) and told myself it wasn't so horrible I couldn't ride it out. Had plenty of food if I wanted it, had drinks, but it was a lazy day and I didn't want *anything* enough to ask my hubbie to go to the store and get it. I still considered it an S day, even though I didn't have anything really S-y.

Today, back on track. My son is doing very well, too, and made the most of his S days - which came at a good time for him. He was ready to cut loose some, but even he didn't go as crazy as I expected he might - he just had his seconds, picked out a treat, and relaxed. We're both making strides, and even decided not to weigh ourselves anymore.

Very good way of eating!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:26 am

COOL 8)

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

anovelgirl

Post by anovelgirl » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:53 pm

Ah, thanks again, Blue ~ you're always around for an encouraging word... :wink:

Day Eight: SUCCESS!

anovelgirl

Post by anovelgirl » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:47 pm

Day Nine: SUCCESS!

anovelgirl

Post by anovelgirl » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Day Ten: SUCCESS!

On another note, I'm closing my thread. HabitCal is working great for me, and posting my check in has become a bit of a chore.

:D