Meg's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Meg

Meg's Daily Check-In

Post by Meg » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:38 pm

On day five and loving it. I feel so NORMAL around food, and the simplicity is really helping me. I only have about 10 lbs to lose, and I'm sick of obsessing about and bouncing between diets. What's more, I'm not likely to start running every day again, like I did pre-kids.

Making myself take an S day today, even though I'm tempted to be extra virtuous. I would like to avoid a potential backlash. There will be lots of social pressure later today. (My Dad's birthday was Tuesday, so I'm using up all of my extra esses early in the month.)

Funny: On my second day, my three-year old son suddenly decided that he liked lamb chops, so I gave him half of my pre-plated one. Bummer. But I put up the fence and didn't help myself to seconds.

Yesterday, when I asked my Dad (whom we are visiting) for a bigger first serving of salmon, my Mom suggested that I just come back for seconds. I didn't want to explain, so I went with the paltrier first. Turned out fine, though. I was satisfied with a larger salad and some extra butter on the bread.

Bought a timer for Shovelglove yesterday, but going to wait til I'm home again to buy a sledgehammer. REALLY don't want to have to explain that to my parents!

Meg

S-day(s)

Post by Meg » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:08 pm

Counted the 4th as an S day, but kept it moderate. Finding that the N day routines are basically carrying over to holidays and weekends, with the addition of a normal-sized dessert after dinner. Such a relief.

Have gotten a couple of comments about how thin I look, but I'm taking those with a grain of salt, since I have been pregnant for two of the past three years. Giving birth tends to make one look significantly thinner and better really fast. If it weren't for the excruciating labor and delivery, I would do it more often...

Was particularly proud of myself today. Went (slalom!) waterskiing for the first time since I had my kids (the eldest is three and the youngest is ten months old). Felt like a very cool mom.

Meg

Another S-day

Post by Meg » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:08 pm

5/5: Very moderate S day. Had a glass of milk (unusual for me) at 6 o'clock when the whole houseful of company was MIA and dinner was nowhere in sight. It worked and alleviated my tension a bit.

'Everybody naps' habit in habitcal is working for me. It basically means that I need to coordinate naps so that both kids are sleeping at the same time. I must also lie down and rest while they sleep(instead of sitting on the couch, snacking mindlessly, watching crappy TV, while I feel guilty for not doing chores and resentful that there's so much to do). Background: I am the full-time single caretaker for my kids during the week and sometimes on weekends. DS was/remains a sporadic sleeper. DD still wakes up to nurse at least once each night.

5/6: Another moderate S day. Coffee intake has definitely increased a bit, though. Another napping success. I needed it after crazy holiday weekend...

Meg

July 7th: Success

Post by Meg » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:32 am

Had a bit of a hard time waiting for lunch today, but held out until 12:40 ish.

My plate at dinner was a little big, but trying not to sweat it. Today was kind of a crazy day. Road trip with little kids. Lots of packing and unpacking, ill-timed poopy diapers, etc etc etc...

I need to do some of Reinhard's mockery. Can't remember exactly what he calls it. Taking things too seriously here :-)

Squeezed in a walk, too. And napped with the kids !

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:41 am

Hi Meg.

Sounds like you are doing great!

Meg

Successes mounting

Post by Meg » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:48 pm

All successes and S-days so far. Surprisingly, found it difficult to really savor the S-ness of a Saturday birthday party. Had a couple of diet sodas and a big helping of birthday cake, but then didn't want Sunday to be another S day. Felt too full and generally icked out...

Meg

FAILURE ...

Post by Meg » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:32 pm

First failure in nineteen days. Bummer. Just a snackpack of peanut butter crackers, but still...

Had been white-knuckling things for a couple of days. Baby is up a lot at night. Toddler is potty training. Heat advisory, so we're stuck inside. Nothing earth shattering, just your run-of-the-mill ordinary stress.

There is good news, though. I'm down ten pounds since starting NOS at the beginning of the month, to 135 lbs. That's what I weighed in high school. (I'm 5' 8".) So pretty satisfied overall.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:02 am

Meg that is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happy friday :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Meg

Big S days

Post by Meg » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:25 am

Thanks, Blueskighs for the support.

Had a couple of fairly indulgent S days, which weren't even that enjoyable looking back. Think I got carried away after seeing the numbers on the scale.

Looking forward to normal tomorrow...

Meg

Success

Post by Meg » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:25 pm

Whew!
Back on track after a Failed Friday and two weekend S days...

Nap time is the hardest for me. Just want to sit and the couch and inhale the entire contents of the pantry. But have pretty much managed to squelch that behavior in three weeks, thank goodness.

Meg

Tuesday Successes

Post by Meg » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:29 am

NOS: Success

Shovelglove: Success

Walking: Success

Everybody Naps: Failure (conflicts with Shovelglove)... I am supposed to rest when my kids do because I'm the sole caregiver 24/7 and it wears me down. Napping really helped me eliminate continuous snacking in the afternoon. But this is the best time to Shovelglove. I may give up the Everybody Naps habit...

Sometimes I need a big old kick in the behind to remind me that my children are blessings, not burdens. They are truly lovely creators of spectacular messes.

Yesterday evening, my son was scared because it was thundering and lightning. I told him it was my job to keep him safe. He looked relieved and said, 'You the lifeguard? You the Mommy lifeguard!" Gotta love that :D

Meg

Wednesday Successes

Post by Meg » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 am

NOS: Success, with a couple of glasses of milk
Walking: Success. Trekked around for a couple of hours with lots of gear in tow
SG: Success.
Everybody Naps: Failure.

Everything feels a little surreal right now. None of my normal wardrobe fits any more. It kind of hangs off me, and I look like I'm wearing someone's hand-me-downs. With a belt that's hitched all the way over to the fourth hole.

So, sometimes I have been wearing the few items that didn't used to fit me. (And they are loose, to boot.)

Anyway, it just so happens that this limited wardrobe that now fits includes a couple of very short (for me) pairs of shorts. Which is fine. It's hotter than Hades now, and I spend most of the day outside anyways with toddlers who couldn't care less if they catch a glimpse of mommy thigh.

So, I'm walking around in short shorts and tank tops, with a new haircut and some dangly earrings. And I look like a totally different, spiffier version of myself. Mostly, I just feel sweaty and sandy. But I look way better.

Meg

Thursday

Post by Meg » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:41 am

Suburban Ranger: Success. Very proud to have squeezed this in. I rescheduled the normal morning walk (risky), so that we could run some errands.
Shovelglove: Success.
Everybody Naps: Success.

Timer is way handy with the kids.

Have got to stop mentioning my kids so often. I am rapidly becoming the Kathy Lee Gifford of Everyday Systems. Somebody save me! :oops:

Meg

Friday

Post by Meg » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:56 am

Shovelglove: Success (very proud, as Fridays are hectic here)
Napping: Failure (technically). Was kind of an ok napping day.

Meg

Update

Post by Meg » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:29 am

Saturday and Sunday: S days...

Monday:
Shovelglove: Success (I missed it this weekend!)
Napping: Failure...

Had a great time this weekend. Went to a big family party, received lots of positive feedback about weight loss, and ate well (with only minimal guilt).

Although I'm taking Reinhard's advice and focusing on behavior rather than numbers, I did step on the scale last week. It read 133 lbs. It's been a long time since I have seen that number!

Meg

Tuesday

Post by Meg » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:15 pm

Shovelglove: Success (broken into two segments, due to unexpected interruption)
Everybody Naps: Failure. I might stop tracking this one....

Meg

All successes here, except...

Post by Meg » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:44 am

...no naps lately for me. (Sigh...)

But not too terribly sleep deprived, since littlest one is sleeping better at night (hold breath, cross fingers, pray fervently to all higher beings)...

Meg

Friday

Post by Meg » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:13 pm

Shovelglove: Success

Meg

Monday

Post by Meg » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:45 am

Successes!

Meg

Failure

Post by Meg » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:58 pm

NOS: Failure. Bummer
Shovelglove: Failure, so far...

Meg

Back on track here...

Post by Meg » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:30 pm

...one day failure this week for both NOS and Shovelglove, but back on the proverbial wagon. Glad to have limited the failures...

Meg

Blech!

Post by Meg » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:28 am

This week, Monday and Tuesday both started with an I. As in, I am behaving like an IDIOT!!!!!

NOS: 2X failure
Shovelglove: 2X failure.

Enough of this nonsense...

Meg

Post by Meg » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:42 am

FINALLY back on track, thank goodness...

Meg

Time flies...

Post by Meg » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:38 am

Wednesday:
NOS - Success
Walking - Success
Shovelglove - Success

Thursday:
Same!

Friday:
Same!
Shovelgloved LATE, after kids went to bed. Here's hoping I can sleep. Oddly obsessed with getting enough shut-eye. Perhaps because I rarely do...

Meg

Blech!

Post by Meg » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:38 pm

Two days of NOS failure behind me. Blech!!!! A little funny business at lunch, but am still calling today a success.

Man, sometimes it is so hard to get and stay on track!!!

M

Meg

Failing...

Post by Meg » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:07 pm

Haven't been doing so well lately. Resolved to do better tomorrow...

Meg

Starting over...

Post by Meg » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:17 pm

After prolonged goofing off and gaining weight, I'm back.

Today's an S day. Tomorrow will be a successful N day.

Meg

Yeah!

Post by Meg » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:16 am

Thursday: Triple success. Finally!
Friday: Triple success.

Meg

Back on track

Post by Meg » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:14 am

Monday: Triple success (NOS, Shovelglove, walking)
Tuesday: Triple success.

Meg

Triple success

Post by Meg » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:32 pm

Triple success today (Wednesday).

Meg

Back again...

Post by Meg » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:40 pm

...after several lapsed (and not particularly enjoyable) months. Nothing like a new year to start again...

Today has been a good S day. Very reasonable.

Meg

Yeah!

Post by Meg » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:25 pm

First successful N day in months! Day isn't officially over, but I'm past the danger zone.

See you tomorrow!

Meg

I'm back!

Post by Meg » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:44 am

Tired of all the dieting. Weight is fine (between 125 and 130lbs, depending on the day). Mainly because I'm on a major athletic streak. But sick of all the failed/changing resolutions.

So I'm having and S-day snack and going back to NOS tomorrow. Hi again, everybody...