mel1974c's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mel1974c

mel1974c's daily check-in

Post by mel1974c » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:34 pm

Day 1: S-day - didn't go too crazy- had a few spoons of ice cream in the evening.

Day 2: SUCCESS - Went really well. Had an "oatmeal cake" and some plain yogurt with blueberries for breakfast with an iced coffee. A full plate of chicken, avocado and veggies for lunch, and wasn't fully hungry but had a veggie burger, a roll with some EVOO, and a banana with peanut butter. Would like to drink more water tomorrow.

Day 3: SUCCESS - Same breakfast. salad with chicken and feta cheese for lunch. Not feeling hungry for dinner. Had a meeting at dinner time and then sat around chatting so I didn't eat until 9:30 - had 2 frozen waffles and 4 strips of veggie bacon. Still on the quest to drink more water

Day 4: SUCCESS Breakfast was strawberries and almonds with plain fat free yogurt and iced coffee. Lunch was a FULL plate of red lettuce with a small cucumber, 2 small tomatoes, 1/2 an avocado, some black bean and corn salsa, Newman's lime vinegarette dressing, and a small whole wheat pita. Dinner was roasted veggies - green and yellow squash, red potato and garlic, a grilled burger, a whole wheat pita and 1/2 a peach.

Day 5: SUCCESS - An "oatmeal cake" with an iced coffee for breakfast. Whole wheat pasta with veggie meat sauce ad 1/2 a peach for lunch. Wasn't very hungry at dinner time again - I think my portions might be big, but I guess that is ok for the first week since I am building the habit. I had 1/2 an avocado with some fresh corn and black bean salad, 1/2 an apple with peanut butter, a small whole wheat pits and a few almonds. I also drank some milk because I haven't been getting much calcium.

Day 6: SUCCESS - An "oatmeal cake" with a glass of milk blended with strawberries and blueberries for breakfast. Iced coffee in the mid-morning. Lettuce, 1/2 an avocado, rest of corn and black bean salsa with veggie chik'n nuggets for lunch. Some macaroni and cheese with steamed broccoli and some peanuts. S day tomorrow.

Day 7: S-day - cereal and iced coffee x2. A few crumbs from the coconut macaroon crumble that I made for the trifle for the bbq.Big bowl of air popped popcorn with salt and butter for lunch. Spaghetti with zucchini and shrimp for dinner. Dessert - 3 sugar free cookies with milk

end of week 1 - so far, I feel great. Not lighter or thinner, but in control somehow.
Last edited by mel1974c on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:02 am

Sunday - Day 8 - S-Day - bagel with cream cheese and iced coffee for breakfast. FAMILY BBQ! lunch was smaller because I wanted to save room for dessert. I really enjoyed my sweets today - but only homemade things. dinner was PB&J on a small pita with some Snap pea crisps.

Back to the Habit tomorrow. And I am excited about that! :)

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:55 pm

Day 9 - SUCCESS - Breakfast - "Oat cake" with strawberries on the side and good ole iced coffee. Lunch - veggie nuggets with light mayo mixed with hot sauce for dipping, steamed veggies and baked french fries. Dinner zucchini and pasta.

Felt a bit hungry later that evening before bed. First time this has happened on no S. Perhaps more veggies or protein with dinner would help with that.

also did 14 minutes of weights/cardio/abs in the morning. Trying to ease into exercise until I have Habit eating down better.
Last edited by mel1974c on Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:27 pm

Day 10 - SUCCESS - Bagel with cream cheese, fruit salad and iced coffee. Lunch - homemade beef and cheese quesedilla. Dinner - grilled zucchini, Smart Ones pizza pocket, banana w/peanut butter, milk.

Walked 25 minutes - finally, a beautiful day with low humidity!

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:11 pm

Day 11 - "Oat cake" with strawberries and a banana blended into milk. Added milled flaxseed to the oat cake today.

Lunch - steamed veggies, brown rice and a veggie burger (no bun).
Needing my coffee so I might have some now. Really craving sugar today. First time this has happened so far.

Dinner - fresh roll with olive oil, cheese, crushed red pepper and garlic, deli roast beef, apple with peanut butter.

10 minutes of arm weighted exercises and push-ups

SUCCESS
Last edited by mel1974c on Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:58 pm

Day 12 - Breakfast - Oat cake with flax, milk blended with blueberries and 4 strawberries.

iced coffee

Lunch - avocado, veggie burger (no bun) brown rice and zucchini.

Dinner - 1/2 a cheese and salsa quesidilla, handful of almonds, peach

15 minutes of arm and shoulder weighted exercises

SUCCESS

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:40 pm

Day 13 - SUCCESS

Breakfast - 2 Vans maple flavored waffles, 2 veggie sausage patties, small banana, iced coffee (less sugar and less cream - aiming to one day enjoy black coffee)

Lunch - plain greek yogurt with frozen blueberries and almonds, 5 cherry tomatoes from my neighbors garden, and an oat cake. Plans for the day got switched up so I had to improvise - didn't want to get to the movies and eat a big bag of buttered popcorn - but I will make my own tomorrow!

Dinner - lettuce wraps with chicken, mojito

no exercise today, unless I count walking around the mall. :-)

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:03 pm

Day 14 - S-Day

2 mugs of coffee for breakfast - got caught up playing Scrabble on the computer with my bf.

A few cherry tomatoes, handful of almonds, and a big bowl of air popped popcorn with salt, Mrs. Dash and butter for lunch.

SNACK - Sweetened green tea and most of a slice of reduced fat blueberry coffee cake.

Dinner was a blue cheese burger, grilled zucchini, potato and peppers.
Dessert - Soft serve ice cream cone.

I think I went wrong today, even though it is an S day, by not eating breakfast. I drank my coffee and wasn't hungry until after 1:30pm, so I didn't eat until then. And the one thing I wanted was popcorn, so I ate it. But it set my day off. Not a balanced meal so I needed a snack to get me through to dinner. A good lesson/reminder of the importance of breakfast.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:56 pm

Day 15 - S-Day

Breakfast - slice of zucchini & pineapple bread with cream cheese, half an oat cake and iced coffee

Lunch - other half of the oatcake and a salad with grilled chicken, 1/2 a pita bread and fantastic greek dressing.

Dinner - snap pea crisps, slice of zucchini & pineapple bread with cream cheese, handful of almonds, strawberry/banana/flax smoothies

Excited to make it to the 21 Day club in just 7 days!
Last edited by mel1974c on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi Mel. Good luck to you.
What is an "Oat cake" anyway?
Do you make it yourself?
I love oatmeal. This might be nice to try.
Sounds like you eat very healthily :)
Peace,
Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:36 pm

Hi Debs, Thanks for checking out my check-in! :)

An "oat cake" is 2 egg whites lightly beaten with 1-2 Tbsp natural applesauce, 1 packet of oatmeal (I prefer Quaker Weight Smart any flavor) and a hearty shake of ground cinnamon. Mix all together in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. It ends up sort of like a muffin. It is completely portable for an on-the-go meal. My doctor actually recommended it to me.

I try to eat pretty healthy. The next thing I need to do is cut portions. I tend to fill my plate and not leave any behind. I have that mindset of not wasting food. Once I make my 21 day habit goal, then I will start making some adjustments. I am loving this lifestyle so far and telling all my friends about it.

Thanks for your frequent postings around the message boards. They are very encouraging.

Best,
Melissa

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:06 pm

Day 16 SUCCESS

Breakfast - 2 Van's frozen waffles, 2 veggie sausage, 1/2 an apple, iced coffee. Woke up hungry today. I usually eat later in the morning but not today. A good thing I guess.

Lunch - olive oil bread stick(big), 1/2 avocado, 5 cherry tomatoes, 5 veggie nuggets

Dinner - zucchini and pasta, cherries.

Arm weights
Last edited by mel1974c on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:27 pm

Day 17 SUCCESS

Breakfast - oat cake with flax, milk blended with strawberries and blueberries.

Iced coffee, shaken passion iced tea lemonade, lightly sweetened, from Starbucks

Lunch - olive oil bread stick(big), 1/2 avocado, veggie burger, apple

Dinner - Zucchini and pasta with 4 cherry tomatoes. very full.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:53 pm

Day 18 SUCCESS

Breakfast - strawberries, blueberries, banana, flax blended in milk. Oat cake with flax.
Interview in Boston today. Not sure why I scheduled it so close to lunchtime. Eating a later breakfast should help.

shaken green iced tea lightly sweetened

Lunch - chicken salad with almonds and fig on focaccia, 3 cherry tomatoes, breaded and baked zucchini

Dinner - a big plate of thai noodles with veggies, chicken and shrimp. I haven't eaten much take-out since I started No S, and this was a full plate. I am pretty full now, but not overly stuffed.

I did step on the scale today and was down 3lbs. Not sure if this is fully accurate, but it is what the scale said today.

Also, I walked A LOT today. Had time to kill before my train out of Boston so I took advantage of being in the city and walked around.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:36 pm

Day 19 SUCCESS

Breakfast - 2 frozen Van's waffles, 2 veggie sausage, a peach, iced coffee.

Lunch - baked zucchini fries, crusty roll with olive oil
Eating VERY LATE today. it is already 4pm.

Dinner - chicken couscous, 7 cherry tomatoes, grilled Thia BBQ shrimp, almonds
Last edited by mel1974c on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:52 pm

Day 20 SUCCESS

Breakfast - plain lowfat greek yogurt with banana, almonds and 1/2 C of Kashi Vive cereal, iced coffee

Lunch - crusty roll with olive oil, a few almonds, apple with peanut butter
Ate late again today. I get caught up on the computer and forget to eat. It is 3pm.

Dinner - roasted chicken breast, chicken couscous, 4 small falafel

Went for a walk to the bank today.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:13 pm

Day 21 S-Day

chicken and zucchini bread with cream cheese for breakfast with 1/2 glass iced coffee

Dinner - picked up my guy at the airport and stopped at The Cheesecake Factory on the way home we split a shrimp club sandwich with fries and a sliders appetizer. We got a piece of cheesecake to go. I made sure to feed more of it to him. I took a small bit for every 2 I gave him :-)

So only 2 meals. But it was a stressful day. I was excited to see him, he was gone for 6 weeks. We stopped to look at engagement rings on the way home and he was set to buy right after getting off the plane. We have been talking about getting married but have been seeing each other a relatively short amount of time (6 months). I guess it just became overwhelming. Highly emotional charged day.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:29 pm

Day 22 S-Day

Breakfast - zucchini bread with cream cheese and some chicken breast. Iced coffee (got it at Starbucks, the barista put it too much flavoring so it was too sweet)

Lunch - tortilla chips and guacamole, popcorn with butter and salt

Dinner - haddock, 2 coconut shrimp, veggies, salad with blue cheese dressing, a little cake and ice cream (birthday party)

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:29 pm

Day 23 SUCCESS

Breakfast - milk blended with a banana and berries, bagel with butter

Iced coffee - with milk

Lunch - Turkey sandwich with Sun Chips

Dinner - Chicken and veggie stir fry with rice.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:16 pm

Day 24 SUCCESS

Breakfast - plain 0% Greek yogurt with a banana, blueberries, almonds, a handful of Kashi Vive cereal

iced coffee

Lunch - falafel and cucumber/tomato salad with hummus in a wheat pita, 3 Sun Chips

Dinner - Pan seared cod, tomato and fresh mozzarella salad with balsamic reduction, green beans and sweet corn sautee, slice of bread with butter, lemon cucumber slices. A VERY FULL plate! BF is back from his work trip and he loves to cook! And he is quite good at it. Glass of Sangria with fruit.

Exercise has fallen off the map - need to get back on track.
resisted may delectable snacks at the farmer's market today - cookies, giant fresh baked pretzels, gelato. I was quite proud!

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:42 am

Day 25 - SUCCESS

Breakfast - oat cake, 3 strips veggie bacon, 1% hazelnut latte

Lunch - ham, egg and cheese on an english muffin, pretzels, hot coffee

Dinner - 3 slices small pizza, small helping of cucumber salad, sangria

I think my dinner was a bit large, I have to be honest, I didn't eat off a regular plate. My BF set the table and grabbed small plates. My day was so hectic, I just sat and ate. I tried to take the smaller pieces and I think, with crowding, it would have fit with maybe an inch or so hanging over. So I wouldn't call it a failure but I haven't had one yet so it wouldn't hurt.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:14 am

Day 26 SUCCESS

B - 2 Kashi Blueberry waffles, 2 veggie sausage patties, iced coffee

L - Tuna salad - a little evoo no mayo, lettuce, pretzel crisps

D - chicken quesidilla, black bean and corn salsa, 5 grapes, 4 tortilla chips, coconut rum and pineapple juice.

Really wanted ice cream and cookies today - had a stressful day. I didn't eat anything S, bf was a big support. I have not had any red days yet, I am starting to think I am doing this wrong. Still think my meals are a bit large. Haven't dropped any weight yet. A little frustrated but reminding myself it is a marathon, not a sprint.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:39 pm

Day 27 SUCCESS

B- scrambled eggs with peppers, tomatoes, spinach, canadian bacon and cheese, some cantelope and 1/2 a peach, toast with butter from leftover bread from the farmer's market. hazelnut latte.

L- tuna and white bean salad, leftover green beans and roasted corn. a few grapes.

D- everything bagel with cream cheese, 10 almonds

Now that I am 4 weeks in, I am planning to focus on cutting portions for the next month. I am ok with the no sweets, no seconds and no snacks, but I think my plate size is keeping me from losing weight. And exercise needs to happen. Walking the dog twice a day is not enough.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:15 am

Day 28 S-Day

B - french toast with syrup, cantalope and peach, hazelnut latte

L - turkey and cheese sandwich, reduced fat potato chips

Blueberries while blueberry picking - had to sample the goods

D - BIG DINNER! guacamole and chips, a bit from 3 different ceviches, 4 mango bbq chicken wings, fried ice cream (split with bf), a couple margaritas

3/4 of a cookie with milk

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:46 pm

Day 29 - S-Day

B - plain 0% yogurt with blueberries and almonds, slice of zucchini bread

L - 2 chicken wings, chips and guacamole (left overs from Sat night), blueberries while prepping for freezing them

D - grilled steak tips, potato salad, corn & black bean salad, peach, blueberry and candied ginger upside down cake with coconut sorbet.

I am declaring tomorrow an NWS Day. 1. I haven't taken any yet and 2. BF and I have reservations at one of the top steakhouses in Boston for the annual Restaurant Week event and I plan to enjoy it. This is also our welcome home celebration dinner after his long trip.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:36 pm

Day 30 - NW S-Day

b - yogurt with a small peach, blueberries and 10 almonds, coffee

l - 1/2 quesidilla with chicken, 2% cheese, salsa, small bit of corn and bean salad, multi-grain tortilla, 4 cherry tomatoes

d - filet mignon au poivre, blue cheese mashed potatoes, mixed greens w/ blue cheese dressing, sorbet. a glass white wine.

popcorn

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:10 pm

Day 31 SUCCESS

B - coffee, yogurt with 1/2 a peach, blueberries, 15 almonds, some leftover popcorn (just as good the next day!).

L - turkey burger and french fries w/ketchup - only ate the bottom bun - felt full but also a bit frustrated afterward. The burger was just ok, but because I was so hungry by the time we had lunch, I ate the whole thing. I probably could have left 1/3 of it and been satisfied. But, it still was one plate of food.

D - leftover popcorn, 5 almonds, pear, T of blueberries, 2 cherry tomatoes. Ate very late around 9:45pm
Last edited by mel1974c on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

laguna

Post by laguna » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:57 pm

Hi Mel,
I've read your posts and have decided that you must like to cook because your meals sound so interesting. I plan to try your "oat cakes" tomorrow. I'm getting tired of my usual toast, fruit, and an egg for breakfast.

I think I, like you, fill my plates too full and plan to leave some empty spaces for the next few days. NoS eating so far has been so easy -- only SUCCESS days so far but only 1 pound down. However, I feel better about the way I am eating because I have NOT been snacking which is my biggest problem. So hopefully I am forming a new habit :)

Good luck to you and your BF. I am a long married lady and can highly
recommend marriage!!

Laguna
ilovekitties

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:52 pm

Day 32 - SUCCESS

B - Oat cake with blueberries cooked into it. delicious addition!! Iced coffee.

L - 2 small whole wheat pitas with hummus, apple

D - sauteed snap peas, corn and edamame, potato salad, 3 cherry tomatoes, a handful of blueberries and 10 almonds, oh, and a Mike Hard Pomegranate Lemonade.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:28 pm

Day 33 - SUCCESS

B - glass of milk. Oat cake with blueberries cooked into it. Iced coffee.

L - 2 small whole wheat pitas with hummus, blueberries

D - salad with chicken salad. crusty roll

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:57 pm

Day 34 SUCCESS

b - 2 eggs and cheese on an english muffin, 2 veggie sausage, hazelnut latte

l - corn, snap pea and edamame sautee (leftover) and a peanut butter and banana wrap.

d - small popcorn at the movies

came home hungry from the movie so I had a glass of milk. Still hungry. Should have had a bigger lunch since I was planning on the popcorn for dinner.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:22 pm

Day 35 - S-Day

B- cherry tomato, blueberry pancakes with syrup

L- Chips and homemade guacamole, a serving of ice cream

D- birthday party dinner - 2 small slices of bread with oil, chicken picatta, asparagus, a little permesean risotto, a cup of hazelnut gelato, a few snap pea crisps

overall, probably my worst S-day for sugar. The syrup tasted so overly sweet - first time that has happened. But I was able to eat ice cream 2x so I am wondering if that triggered my sweet tooth. I really wanted something fruity after dinner, possibly because I try to end every meal on N-days with a fruit.

Day 36 - S-Day

B - oatcake with blueberries and coffee.

L - popcorn with butter, salt and Mrs Dash (YUM!!), a plout, 2 cherry tomatoes, 1oz cheese, 2 glasses hard cider

D - grilled swordfish, grilled zucchini, spicy watermelon relish - yes, my bf was in charge of dinner again! And for dessert - s'mores - one of my absolute faves!

I enjoyed my S-days and didn't make the healthiest of choices for the most part, and I felt the difference from my eating during the week and the weekends. It re-encourages me to enjoy the healthier choices during the week and try to incorporate them better during the week.
Last edited by mel1974c on Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:42 pm

mel1974c,

you are doing so great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you for your kind words on my thread!

don't forget to let us know when you are officially engaged :wink: so we can congratulate you!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:02 pm

Day 37 SUCCESS
B - 1 egg, canadian bacon and cheddar cheese on a bagel, cantelope, iced coffee

L - banana and peanut butter wrap, 10 almonds, 2 veggie sausage

D - spicy watermelon relish, tomato, basil, fresh mozzarella, brown rice
Last edited by mel1974c on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

laguna

I like it

Post by laguna » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:58 pm

Hi Mel,
I finally rounded up the ingredients to make your oat cakes and had one this morning. It was YUMMY and very filling. :) As Mikey would say, "I like it." It will be a favorite on my breakfast menus.
Thanks for the idea and the recipe :D

Laguna
ilovekitties

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:18 pm

Day 38 SUCCESS

B - oatcake with blueberries, iced coffee

L - ham and cheese sandwich, 6 triscuits, 5 cherry tomatoes, apple

D - brushetta veggie burger with cheese (no bun), spicy watermelon relish, brown rice, 5 almonds, cantelope

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:59 pm

Day 39 SUCCESS

B - glass of milk, oatcake with blueberries, iced coffee

L - ham and cheese sandwich, 6 triscuits, plum

D - ground beef and veggies in tomato sauce over rice, 10 almonds, milk after dinner

Back to working in Boston today - there for 3 days this week, maybe 1 next week then off to a different office in Boston. The freelance business is picking up which is great, but it is throwing off my eating habits. ie - ate breakfast 2 hours early today so I ate all my meals early. I hope to not be hungry before bed. The milk should help.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:32 pm

Day 40 SUCCESS

B - Iced coffee, 4 strips veggie bacon, oatcake with blueberries

L - turkey and cheese sandwich, 6 triscuits, 3 cherry tomatoes, apple, 10 almonds

D - veggie burger (no bun), brown rice, 3/4 avocado (was going bad), plum

Having the veggie bacon this morning definitely helped me get through the morning at the office. I ended up eating lunch at 1:30 which is closer to my usual 2:30 timeframe. I was hungry for dinner when I got home at 7 and ate quickly - probably too quickly.

letomoon

Post by letomoon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:12 am

Hey Mel, good job and good luck with keeping it up!

I am going to have to try your oatcake! I have oatmeal every morning anyway... can you make these in advance and just take one out of the fridge and nuke it? or does it really need to be eaten fresh?

On an S day I want to try it with chocolate chips, lol.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:19 pm

Day 41 SUCCESS

B - 1 Tb peanut butter, oatcake with blueberries, iced coffee

L - mac & cheese, some bbq pork and chicken, cornbread
SO the office I am freelancing at buys lunch on Fridays - today it was bbq. By the time I got to the food, most of the meat was gone. So I had a carb heavy lunch. I am planning a late dinner with my friend so I am hoping I can make it until dinner without snacking. I really don't want to snack as tomorrow marks my 2nd straight 21 day club entry. Looks like a lot of water and maybe some milk this afternoon after work!!

D - lemon breaded chicken and mashed potatoes, slice of bread (Cheesecake Factory AGAIN!)
Last edited by mel1974c on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:31 am

Day 42 - S-Day

B - zucchini bread w/ butter, iced coffee

L -PICNIC - brie on a cracker, grapes, 1/2 chicken salad sandwich champagne, mango, fresh raspberry mimosas

D - Chicken fingers and fries, bag of teddy grahams, sliver of anniversary cake.

GOT ENGAGED on the picnic!!!! It is now official!! Wedding is early May 2009

Day 43 - S-Day

B - 1/2 banana, blueberries, 10 almonds in plain greek yogurt, iced coffee

L - burger with chips, glass of hard cider - very full after lunch!

shaken lemonade passion fruit iced tea, 3 bites of apple fritter
Last edited by mel1974c on Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:20 am

Day 44 - SUCCESS

B - 2 veggie sausage, oatcake with blueberries, iced coffee

L - chicken salad, thick slice of multigrain bread, a few raspberries/bite of peach

D - leftover chicken and mashed potatoes from Friday night's dinner out. Bread with oil for dipping.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:31 pm

Day 45 SUCCESS

B - Smoothie (0% plain greek yogurt, 1% milk, banana, handful of blueberries, dash vanilla extract), 2 Kashi Go Lean blueberry waffles with a little margarine.

L - spicy tuna roll sushi, 1.5 oz brie cheese, apple

D - veggie burger (no bu) mixed veggies in a light butter sauce, avocado

Milk

Craving sweets again. I think it is the stress of wedding planning. This is going to be a challenge!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:05 pm

I've been craving sweets too! I add a handful of raisins to my lunch when I need something sweet. I just eat them last & my craving seems to be satisfied...

If you like raisins they might help....just a thought though....janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:07 pm

Day 46 SUCCESS

B - 2 eggs and cheese on an everything bagel, hazelnut latte 2% milk.

L - Asian sesame chicken salad from Panera, bread, bread, bread.
First off, I was starving. We ate breakfast at 10:30 and then had a busy afternoon. I didn't eat dinner until 5pm. I have to admit I virtually plated and I ended up eating too much bread because I was so hungry, I just kept eating the middles and got rid of the crust. I may have overeaten slightly, but not enough to call it a red day.

D - melon, 11 almonds

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:00 pm

Day 47 - SUCCESS

B - Oat cake with blueberries, 2 cups coffee

L - 4 veggie chick'n nuggets, baked rosemary and olive oil french fries, avocado

D - banana, strawberry, almonds extract, 0% plain greek yogurt and 2% milk smoothie

Weighed myself this morning - total weight loss is now 6.2 lbs :)

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:50 pm

Day 48 SUCCESS

B - bagel with butter, 2 veggie sausage

L - Whole wheat pasta with a little butter, 1 oz brie cheese

D - sushi, tempura

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:24 pm

Day 49 S-Day

B - 2.5 blueberry muffins, iced coffee

D - Pizzaria Uno deep dish - 2.5 slices, regular size pizza, mixed berry (Stoli) lemonade

Snack - Popcorn with butter, salt, Mrs. Dash

Day 50 S-Day

B - 2 grilled blueberry muffins, iced coffee
shaken passion tea lemonade
3 caramel filled chocolate squares

L - fried rice, kung pao chicken, general gau chicken,

D - 6 triscuits, 2 graham cracker squares with peanut butter, 2 open faced s'mores with made with a caramel filled chocolate square., glass of milk

Day 51 Labor Day S-Day

B - bagel with butter, hazelnut latte w/2% milk
iced coffee

L - chips and guacamole, 10 almonds, 2 oz brie cheese, 1 bottle Woodchuck hard cider

D - Grilled buffalo steak, grilled swordfish, 1/3 sweet potato, 1 corn on the cob, 3 smores, 1 Mike's hard pomegranate lemonade

Bought my wedding dress!!! Time to tone the upper body BIG TIME!!

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:12 am

Day 52 SUCCESS

B - iced coffee, oatcake with blueberries, 2 veggie sausage

L - ham and cheese sandwich, 5 cherry tomatoes, 6 triscuits, apple

D - whole wheat pasta and mixed veggies sauteed in olive oil and a little butter.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:56 pm

Day 53 SUCCESS

L - ham and cheese sandwich, carrrots, 6 triscuits, apple

D - whole wheat pasta, chicken and mixed veggies sauteed in olive oil and a little butter.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:57 pm

Day 54 SUCCESS

L - turkey and cheese sandwich, carrots, 6 triscuits, apple

D - Kashi cereal

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:53 pm

Day 55 SUCCESS

L - tuna sandwich, baked Lays chips, iced coffee

D - Grilled veggies, a spoon of peanut butter, Woodchuck granny smith cider

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:23 am

Day 56 & Day 57 – S Days

I haven't been on the computer as much lately so I will probably not track my S-day foods. But in summary - I ate a bunch of sweets - cinnamon rolls for breakfast on Sunday, Rice Krispy treats Sunday afternoon. Saturday we had a cocktail party and I grazed my dinner and had a few small sangrias. But I don't feel that I overstuffed myself this weekend at all, and I have been feeling that way the past couple of weekends, so that is good.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:25 am

Day 58 SUCCESS

B - oatcake with blueberries, 2 veggie sausage links (the store was out of the patties), iced coffee

L - curry chicken salad in a multi-grain wrap, apple, 6 triscuits

D - macaroni & cheese, steamed veggies, handful of nuts - peanuts and almonds

milk

Started my arm/back workout to get ready for the wedding. My goal is to do 15 minutes of weights, switching up the routine, 4-5 days each week. I really need to tone my back, arms and shoulders for the wedding. I have 8 months to do it!!

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:55 pm

Day 59 SUCCESS

B - 2% plain greek yogurt, blueberries, a handful of almonds and Kashi cereal on top

L - Buffalo chicken fingers and a baked potato

D - hot dog and pretzel at Fenway

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:17 pm

Day 60 SUCCESS

B - oatcake with blueberries, 2 veggie sausage links, hot coffee

L - ham and cheese sandwich, carrots, triscuits, apple

coffee

D - buffalo chicken fingers, baked potato, 6 almonds

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Day 61 SUCCESS

B - veggie bacon, 1 veggie sausage, 2 kashi blueberry waffles with butter, caramel latte

L - egg and cheese on a bagel, OJ/soda water

D - pastena, 2 chicken potstickers with soy ginger dipping sauce, 3 peanuts, a thin slice of goat cheese and some camembert cheese

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:29 pm

Day 62 SUCCESS

B - Oatcake with blueberries, 2 veggie sausage links, iced coffee

L - turkey and cheese sandwich, carrots, triscuits, apple

D - Noodle on the Beach (Thai take-out)

Day 63 & 64S-Days
Lots of great S-day approved foods!

Day 65 SUCCESS

B - oatcake with blueberries, 1 veggie sausage, iced coffee.

L - turkey and cheese sandwich, carrots, triscuits, apple

D - veggies, 2 mini chimichangas, bread with butter

I think I might stop diligently tracking my food for now. I have marked 3 straight 21 club entries and while I am not above a failure day, I haven't had one yet, so I think I am doing ok for now. I will come back to the daily checking in if things go awry.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:55 pm

Day 67 FAILURE

I started out as usual - B & L were fine. Wasn't feeling well all day - coming down with a "change of seasons" cold.

I made some soup, had a 1/2 teaspoon of peanut butter and finished off about 1/4 cup of leftover chicken. The soup didn't come out tasty so I dumped half of it and got myself some chips and salsa to replace it. Fine - would be a full plate but still a plate.

And then, it happened - I opened the freezer and saw the cookies that I baked on Saturday. I grabbed a glass of milk and 2 of the cookies. And honestly, I thoroughly enjoyed them. But then it hit me - my first FAILURE in over 9 weeks on NoS. I was disappointed in myself. I called my fiancee and told him. But I said to him that it was 1 day and that I'd be back on track tomorrow. I know it wasn't smart, but I enjoyed them and will move forward without beating myself up.

So far, today is back to normal. Lunch was a disappointing salad - and I was really looking forward to salad. Hopefully, dinner will be yummy and satisfying. No cookies tonight!
Last edited by mel1974c on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:28 pm

Nothing like my trying to learn from the mistakes of others --

I have a question for you. Have you ever before dumped out something you didn't like and replace it with other food? I'm wondering if you didn't fail before you ate the cookies.

The other night, I had loaded up my plate with something it turned out I didn't like very much. I went ahead and ate it anyway, thinking it was this or nothing. Had I substituted something else once I started eating, I think I would have considered it a failure and just polished off the contents of the freezer as long as I already had a failure.

Kathleen

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:25 am

I disagree. Meals are meant to be enjoyed, not eaten for the sake of eating. I think eating something you don't really want can lead to cravings and possible failures. My problem yesterday was emotional eating/needing comfort because I felt ill. I don't think it had anything to do with what I had originally put on my plate.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:28 am

I was just wondering. I think that, for me, dumping some food and putting something else on the plate would be crossing a line that would lead to overeating. For you, it may well be different. That was the reason for my question.
Kathleen

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:58 am

Thanks Kathleen. I think different things are triggers for different people. And if dumping food would cause you to overeat, then it is probably better if you don't do it.

While I do believe my issue was my feeling sick, since I don't usually dump food out and replace it, perhaps there is validity to your point in my situation as well. I can't really know for sure.

Thanks for that insight. :)
~melissa

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:01 am

Day 68 SUCCESSS

B - the usual :wink:

L - salad with chicken on top, salt & vinegar chips

D - egg and cheese on an english muffin, teaspoon of peanut butter, blueberry/banana blended with milk

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:44 pm

Melissa,
I'm glad to see a post of yours. What's your update?
Kathleen

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:34 pm

Just checking in in....you doing okay??

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:50 pm

Looking for you...
Kathleen