Funfuture's check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

funfuture

Funfuture's check-in

Post by funfuture » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:30 pm

I'm starting a new check-in under my email name - for two reasons: I think that will be less confusing for people, and, I think my practice of NoS is changing and becoming more solid and I'd like to honour that turning point with a fresh check-in.

Having said that - had a really sensible, enjoyable weekend. Restrained S days with nothing out of control. And I so enjoyed that...Here's to many more. :D

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:33 pm

I meant to add my starting weight on this new thread - I weighed myself on friends' digital scales last night and I weighed 75 kg (at the end of the weekend, fully clothed with shoes, belt, etc). So that's my new starting point. Planning to reach 60 kg or thereabouts...

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:47 am

Manically busy again (sigh). Not a lot of sleep this week (or, rather, very irregular sleep) and not enough exercise. But I have been pretty regular with the shugging - 4 -5 times a week - and loving it.
Put on some clothes this morning that I haven't worn since last winter - and they are v loose! woohooo.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:41 pm

First for the bad news....
Disastrous week - all red days for food and exercise - the first time ever since I started last November. That has coincided with lots of compliments over the weekend on my "new shape" (self sabotaging success?) and also my first week in my new job (I got a promotion). The last month or so of work has been diabolically busy - fun, but busy. Plus we have had house guests, yada yada...Tomorrow will be my first chance since Saturday to go for a walk. Our home routine has been in chaos and shugging went out the window. But....the new job (and getting replacements to fill in for me on parts of my old job) will be bedded down by Friday afternoon, everyone's gone home, and I should be able to get back into a routine (albeit a new routine) starting Monday. Here's to a full week of NoS next week. :D

A nice thing last weekend - DD was invited to an ice-skating birthday party. It's too hot where I live for there to be any natural ice or snow so ice-skating is a rare thing here. I used to go, though, on a Saturday morning for a few months when I was about 12. Anyway, we got to the ice rink and the kids were having such a great time that a couple of us parents decided to have a go too. It was great! It's been 39 years since I've put on a pair of ice skates but it all came back to me and I had a ball (wobbly - but a ball). Gee it was fun. Am thinking I might take DD on our own another time as her music class is very close to the ice rink and we could nick down there for a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon. It was GREAT exercise - and, of course, she enjoyed it too!

Have to report in that - apart from this (disastrous) week - the shugging has been going well too. After a very long time of tripping over the sledgehammer in the lounge room and not doing much else with it - I've now taken to it with gusto. My technique is improving to the point where I can really feel it in my muscles now (especially my back and legs) and I am generally feeling stronger and more confident in my body. I think that is part of why the ice skating was fun - I am becoming reasonably fit and I felt able to be daring and have a go on Saturday. I wasn't afraid of falling - and, of course, I did fall and have a beaut black bruise on my derriere to prove it - but I wasn't afraid of snapping something or of being stiff and ungainly. Great stuff...

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:16 pm

That has coincided with lots of compliments over the weekend on my "new shape"
funfuture,

that is when my S days started getted wacky too!!!!!!! at the gym people started making comments (postive :D ) I guess I completely FREAKED OUT! Strange I know, its taken me about five to six weeks to calm those S days back down!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:58 am

Blue, it's always when I start to achieve some success with diet, etc, that I "fall off the wagon". I've been noticing for a while that, while I hate being fat, I nevertheless feel comfortable being overweight. In a way, I'm invisible then. There's no unwanted advances, no competition with other women, nobody paying me much attention...Not sure what lies at the bottom of that, but innate self-consciousness plays a part. Also a resistance to change. Possibly a resistance to actually having the things I most desire (a life partner, etc)...We're complicated organisms, that's for sure!

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:49 am

All green so far this week for exercise and food! yay.

Am toying with the idea of logging in my meals each day, just to keep me really honest - and make me more aware of what I am really eating - but am not sure that I have the time to do that - nor the energy to make that commitment...sigh.

But here goes for the moment anyway...

Breakfast:
optimized porridge (rolled oats with dried fruit, nuts and seeds - some LSA added, eaten with skim milk).
home-made cafe latte (half/half skim milk).

Mid-morning - store-bought small skim latte

Lunch - Small serving of grilled fish, salad and chips (the latter shared with a friend)
And another latte! (what's all this milk?? and to think I gave up caffeine till two weeks ago...)

Afternoon - two teas with - you guessed it - milk...

Not sure what I am making for dinner, but I'll have to fill it in later anyway.

Exercise - shovelglove - no time to walk today

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:40 am

Way too many S foods this weekend - ie too much chocolate both days...eating till I was feeling stuffed...not pleasant and not necessary - but at least I'm seeing it!

Saturday I had, on top of my meals, organic chocolate (way, way too much) plus 2 glasses of wine, plus eating bits and pieces of the baked dinner while I was cooking, etc.
My Saturday meals were
B:optimized porridge;
L:wholemeal sandwiches with peanut butter, tomato and raw spinach;
D: baked chicken with potato, sweet potato, pumpkin and some steamed peas and corn. The chicken had stuffing and gravy. And, I must say, it was delicious!

Sunday, I had a chocolate biscuit and pikelets for morning tea (too many pikelets) and 2 pieces of chocolate pie after dinner in addition to my meals. The meals were:
B: crepes with lemon juice and sugar
L: Chinese meal at a restaurant (eggplant, pork and prawns with steamed rice)
D: frittata made with bacon, mixture of vegetables and cheese. Wholemeal toast with vegemite.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:04 am

Monday = [color=green]GREEN[/color]
B=porridge
L= toasted cheese and tomato sandwich plus green salad
D = Fried rice (made with brown rice, flavoured tofu, egg and various vegetables, fried lightly in olive oil and garlic).

Shugged and walked - [color=green]Green[/color]

Tuesday = [color=red]RED[/color]
B= pikelets
L = small portion of leftover fried rice plus a multigrain roll with ham and avocado instead of butter, and a small mandarin.
D = 2 slices of pizza with friends at a restaurant. 2 glasses of wine.
Dinner wasn't filling enough and the wine weakened my resolve...
Latenight snack - ham & avocado sandwich, 6 squares of chocolate, handful of trail mix.

Shugged and walked - [color=green]Green.[/color]

Wednesday - No time to prepare food today...
B= 2 eggs plus 6 small wholegrain crackers. 2 store bought flat whites.
L= store bought pizza roll plus an orange.

No exercise as yet...

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:34 am

Disaster - Friends came over for dinner (a tradition where we share entrees and buy in take away main courses - usually Asian food) and we have a glass or two of wine (which I clearly can't do if I want to stay on track with eating sensibly). My virtual plating went out the window. Also we ate too late and so I was starving and had way too much of the entrees. That set in the - well @#$%$# it anyway, mentality and I've eaten a whole lot of stuff today that I really didn't need to.

Ah well. I can feel a slide into..."well tomorrow's Friday anyway and then there's the weekend, so I may as well wait now till Monday to re-start NoS..."
:twisted:

Uh Uh. Here's to recommitting this afternoon - getting back up after the "break-out" and keeping on trucking. I'll let you know how I go.
:)

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:25 pm

Well, I was ok Thurs and Friday till Friday night and then had a glass of wine - Truly, I'm a one-glass-wonder...it just weakens my resolve around food.
But back on track today.

Exercise - Walked 1 hour.
B= optimized porridge
L= roll with ricotta cheese, corn and salmon
D= noodles with a sauce made of tomato, tofu, boiled egg and spinach.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:11 am

Tuesday

Walked 1 hour

B: porridge, 2 milky coffees (half milk, half coffee)
L: wholegrain sandwich made with leftover stirfry from Mon night.
D: 3 small slices of pumpernickel bread with butter, garlic prawns with vegetables, small glass of plain low-fat yoghurt.

Wednesday

Walked 50 mins

B: Porridge, 1 milky coffee
L: wholegrain sandwich with mayonnaise, beef, tomato and baby spinach. 1 mandarin. 1 milky coffee
D: Not eaten yet, but I've cooked roast chicken with potato, sweet potato and we'll have steamed veg (carrot, corn and peas). Will probably have some plain yoghurt as well.

Haven't used the sledgehammer this week, but hope to tonight.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:03 am

Wednesday's dinner was as described.

Thursday

50 Min Walk

B= optimised porridge
2 cups home made milky coffee (skim milk)
L = wholegrain sandwich with beef, tomato, spinach and mayonnaise (same as yesterday - I liked it!). Small apple and a mandarin.

No shuggging yet this week...

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:08 am

I like this new way of posting in - I've always been pretty good with the NoS days so haven't bothered in the past posting about those - just about my struggles with S days - but that was beginning to feel v negative.

Now that I am recording my NoS days, it feels more positive and like I am acknowledging the regular successes.

I like it! :D

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:12 pm

Hmmm...having said that - not so successful tonight. I was STARVING by 5pm and had to pack a picnic on our way to swimming class for DD. I ended up having something then to stave off the hunger (am not good with hunger - sigh) and then had more later. I justified it as virtual plating, but it amounted to too much food - so it's a red on the habitcal.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:54 am

Can't remember Friday's meals, but I stayed on habit.
Ate silly things on Saturday but Sunday was fine. Also shugged on Sunday.

Monday:
Exercise - 1.5 hr walk
B: eggs, toast with butter and vegemite (yeast spread)
L: pumpkin soup, one piece of toast, small serve of home-made fried rice with tofu and vegetables, mandarin.
D: shared meal with friends at a chinese restaurant (steamed rice and various dishes)

Tuesday (so far)
Exercise: 50 min walk
B: optimized porridge

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:57 am

Tuesday:
L:spinach and ricotta pasta bake
D:Baked chicken and vegies (visitors with kids came over for dinner)

Wednesday:
50 min walk

B: oatmeal
L: wholemeal sandwich - chinese pork, spinach and mayonnaise
D: pasta, chicken, vegies, plain low-fat yoghurt

Thursday:
50 min walk

2 breakfasts!
Broke the rules today as I got up at 4am to work and was starving (think hunger woke me up!) Worked through till 8am.
4am - oatmeal
8.30am - boiled egg with wholemeal toast and vegemite. Milky coffee

Haven't shugged since Sunday because I've only just stopped hurting! Have been doing squats while I shug (just comes naturally these days) but my muscles were really complaining...ah well, am sure it is doing me good.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:02 am

Am noticing two things since I started posting my daily food...

- I'm eating/drinking a lot of dairy (especially drinking)...If I want to lose weight more quickly, I'm clearly going to have to cut back on that.

- My wobbliest day is Thursday - I am always STARVING by a Thursday. Clearly, I'm going to have to work out a way of living with that hunger. :D

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:33 pm

out of control s days as usual. sigh.
My weight has held steady over the winter - not quite what I wanted, but hardly surprising.

But today was an N Day and I'm back on track with No S - although no exercise today. I opted to have a coffee with friends instead.

Monday:
B: saos with peanut butter
L: pumpernickel with cheese and tomato. Salad of corn and carrot.
D: Japanese restaurant food - shared with friends - some teriyaki chicken, some tempura, some Japanese 'pizza'.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:15 am

Tuesday:

Walked:
B: toast with butter and vegemite, 2 x milky coffee
L: sandwich and apple
D: fish with roast vegetables and steamed broccoli, natural yoghurt.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:11 am

Wednesday:

Walked (45 mins)

B: optimized porridge + 2 milky coffees
L: leftover fish and vegies on a wholegrain sandwich (toasted)
D: carrot soup, toast with avocado and lemon pepper, small serving of ricotta and spinach parcels with fresh tomato. (The pasta was store-bought and I put chopped tomato through it.)

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Thursday and Friday were on plan. Can't remember what I ate. Didn't get a chance to walk on Friday though (rarely do).

Have spent the weekend at a culture camp for DD (who is ethnically Chinese). It was held in our local Chinatown and nearly all meals were in Chinese restaurants. The food was great. Yesterday was more like an N day than an S day, although I ate chocolate croissant this morning, had a small bowl of icecream with DD after lunch and some lollies at the party tonight. Wasn't too bad an S day.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:07 pm

Monday:
No walking - no time.

B: toast with butter and vegemite
L: multigrain sandwich with cheese, tuna and tomato.
D: Japanese gyoza (dumplings), tempura vegetables and steamed rice.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:24 pm

Tuesday:
No walking and won't get another chance to till thursday.

B: oats - uncooked but soaked overnight in water with mixed seeds and a teaspoon of honey. 2 milky coffees.
L: half an avocado with bread and a small apple.
D: wholemeal spaghetti with homemade savoury mince (I can't, in all honesty, call it a Bolognese - I chuck at least 6 different types of vegies in!)

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:44 am

Wednesday

B: soaked oats with mixed seeds and a teaspoon of honey. 2 milky coffees
L: multigrain sandwich with avocado and boiled egg. Fresh strawberries.
D: 2 x baked chicken legs (marinated in soy and honey), cape seed roll with avocado and salad of carrot, capsicum and tomato. Plain yoghurt.

no walk

Thursday

B: soaked oats (as above) and 2 milky coffees.
Mid-morning - coffee
L: leftover wholemeal spaghetti with mince and mixed vegetable sauce. Apple.
D: probably leftover chicken legs as time is tight.

Walked!
Last edited by funfuture on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:41 am

Thursday cont'd

Dinner was baked chicken legs plus cape seed bread and butter, steamed corn and raw capsicum and carrot.

Friday

B: soaked oats as per usual
L: 2 small wholemeal sandwiches with mayonnaise, chicken and tomato plus an apple.
D: anyone's guess at this moment! (it's 3.30pm, am at work for a while yet but I know there's a variety of stuff in the fridge!)

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:38 pm

Friday dinner was fish and chips! Got home too late from a play in the park with DD and friends to cook anything. Not the best choice for losing weight! (But I do buy "kiddies' meals" for both DD and myself - they are still so big I can only just finish mine and she doesn't quite get through hers - two calimari rings, two fish cocktails and 2 chicken nuggets plus chips - DD always eats my chicken nuggets! not that healthy, I know, but we don't do it often.)

Saturday

Brunch: eggs and bacon (dry fried in a nonstick pan - ie cooked without any added oil) and a bowl of strawberries.
Treat: blueberry bagel and a small single-scoop chocolate cone in the late afternoon.
Dinner: chippolatas with mashed potato, corn, broccoli, cucumber, tomato. I also had bagel chips and 3 pieces of 70% chocolate.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:57 am

Sunday

B: wholegrain toast with butter and my brother-in-law's homemade rosella jam (yum)
Snack: taste of apple bun
L: shared chinese meal in a restaurant with friends
Snack: several slices of said apple bun!
D: wholemeal crepes with vegetables and bacon in cheese sauce

Although I ate a lot on the weekend, I was happy with it as I didn't binge or feel out-of-control. I didn't formally exercise, but we had fun in the park - especially on Sunday - had lots of running races with my daughter. :D

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:47 pm

Monday

B: toast with butter and vegemite
L: sandwich - tuna, avocado and spinach - and a mango
D: rissoles with mashed sweet potato, potato and pumpkin, corn, peas, tomato and cucumber.

Walked.

Tuesday

B: oats with seeds and a teaspoon of honey. 2 milky coffees
L: sandwich with egg, tomato and spinach.
D: at my brother's place. My sister-in-law is an amazing cook. Poached salmon with potato casserole and a salad made from mango, roast red capsicum and rocket. Dessert was home-made caramel pie, fruit salad and vanilla yoghurt. On this occasion, it was more important to join in than decline...

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:37 am

Wednesday
B: wholemeal toast with butter and vegemite and an apple.
L: capeseed roll with cheese and salad
D: stir-fried noodles with tofu (flavoured) and vegetables (carrot, capsicum, corn, broccoli, zucchini and English spinach).

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:14 am

Thursday

Walked

B: Toast with butter & vegemite - 1 decaf milky coffee.
L: capeseed roll with avocado, tomato, spinach and egg. Plus some leftover orange smash (mashed potato, sweet potato and pumpkin). Mango.
D: chop with peas, baked potato, sweet potato and carrots (brushed with olive oil).

Friday

Walked

B: raw oats with mixed seeds and a teaspoon of honey. 1 slice of capeseed bread with avocado. 1 milky coffee.
L: leftover stir-fried noodles with tofu and vegetables. 1 slice bread and avocado. Mango.
D: Vegetable quiche with pastry (my first attempt at pastry from scratch. Wasn't too bad! :D ). Strawberries.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:00 pm

Have been away for a 4-day weekend with DD and her cousins - just bliss. Meanwhile, enjoyed my S days on Saturday and Sunday (no outrageous eating) and was back on NoS for Monday and Tuesday. Back to work tomorrow. :D

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:15 pm

Successful N days all this week, but no exercise - trying to manage a full work week and my daughter's school holidays - baaad planning on my part, plus the university and school holidays didn't coincide this time round. Not easy.
Back to school on Monday so hopefully we can get back into our routines then. Wish we could both have another week off but together this time! :(

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:41 pm

Congratulations on your great week Funfuture :)
Just read some of your posts. You are very disciplined and seem to really eat very well.
Have a nice weekend.
Peace and Love
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:20 pm

Aaaagh - thanks for the kind words, Deb, but not so disciplined this week, I'm afraid. It was a v v full-on work week and DD was back at school with all her extra activities in full swing. Didn't get any exercise in and I had a red day on Wednesday. Otherwise, the week was ok for Ns - can't remember now what I ate, but they weren't always the best choices. I got caught without having prepared meals for the week (ie thought through the shopping, cooked some food in advance...) so we ate out or takeaway too often (bad for the budget too!). Glad the week's over, really, and am looking forward to starting again on Monday. :D
Hope all's going well with you - I'll drop by your blog and say hello. :D

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:21 am

Back on habit from yesterday - phew - it's so comforting after 2 weeks of bedlam and no exercise. I've signed up for a meditation refresher course which meets fortnightly early on a Sunday evening, so I began the week with that - just bliss.

Monday
Walked - 50 mins

B: multi-grain toast with butter and vegemite - 2 milky coffees
L: bowl of corn niblets with canned tuna
D: baked chicken with brown rice, steamed vegies and home-made gravy.

Tuesday
Walked - 50 mins
Meditation - 20 mins

B: oats with seeds and 1 tsp honey - 2 milky coffees
L: cape seed roll with chicken, tomato, spinach and mayonnaise, plus small apple and kiwifruit.
D: stir fry with fish, spinach, carrot, corn, peas and broccoli, plus brown rice.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:44 pm

Wednesday

B: oats with seeds and honey. 2 x milky coffee
L: capeseed roll with chicken, mayonnaise, tomato and spinach plus zucchini soup.
D: pasta bake (shell pasta with tomato based sauce containing cevapicci sausage (skinless sausage - high meat content) and a variety of vegies, topped with cheese and cornflake crumbs. (DD's favourite). Mango.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:04 pm

Thursday
Meditation 20 mins

B: oats with seeds and honey. coffee
L: capeseed roll with chicken, mayonnaise, tomato and spinach (when you're on a good thing... But we've finally finished the roast chook so will have to think of a different lunch for tomorrow. D:)
D: Takeaway - best I could do was garden salad with 3 prawns (no dressing) and potato casserole. (Actually it was v nice.)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:54 pm

Nice to see you practice Meditation Funfuture!
I try to as often as I can remember to! :lol:
Have a great day :)
8) Debs

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:55 am

Hi Deb,
well...I'm not proving very regular with it! My workload/home load is out of control at the moment and its making it hard to develop routines. I keep forgetting that I am supposed to be meditating every day. But I will do better! I want to schedule in better exercise routines too. They've gone out the window lately and that really affects my NoSing...Not great Sdays this week. DD's birthday party. But I cooked a cool cake I was very proud of - we had a tennis party (she's turning 8 and obsessed with tennis) and so I made the cake in the shape of a tennis racquet. It worked out really well (If I may say so myself... :D ). The party started at 11 am and was supposed to finish at 1pm, but I found myself cooking dinner for 5 kid stayers - and their parents! oivey. They didn't leave till 8pm, and only then because I hinted so much they really had to leave...But it was fun.
Today, has been a red day on the habitcal. Am absolutely zonked with fatigue and was seduced by some leftover lollies (jellies) for the sugar hit to get through some work I have to do. :oops:
Start again tomorrow...

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:21 pm

Yes start over tomorrow, and take care of yourself.
Thank a lot for your support!
The thing about meditation is that you can do it in little quick moments when you are alone throughout the day.. It is good to be able to devote more time obviously, but sometimes hard to if you are busy.
So even when you are using the bathroom, or sitting in a parked car, or whenever you have a quiet moment. You can definitely calm your mind and just check in with yourself to see how you are internally.
I know that sounds weird, but sometimes those are the only quiet times you may have during a busy day.
Also, before bedtime is very good, because you are going to sleep anyway, and it's a nice way to wind down.
Have a great week!
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:23 pm

funfuture wrote:Hi Deb,
The party started at 11 am and was supposed to finish at 1pm, but I found myself cooking dinner for 5 kid stayers - and their parents! oivey. They didn't leave till 8pm, and only then because I hinted so much they really had to leave...But it was fun.
Hahah oy vey!!!
LOL :)

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:48 am

Well...I've completely fallen off the wagon this week. And I know what's caused it - lack of sleep, trying to do too much (lots and lots and lots on at the moment with Birthdays, work events, etc), no exercise, huge fatigue.

On top of that, I've just found out that my application to spend 6 months in China next year on sabbatical has been approved. Yiiikes!!! We leave at the end of Jan for Beijing. Exciting but terrifying - I don't speak mandarin, but we have to find a school for DD, a home to live in, let this place, blah blah blah....and to top it off the Aussie dollar has just plunged giving me, in effect, a pay cut of 40% (with predictions of it dropping below 40c in the US $ in the near future. ) Aaagghhhh - emotional eating? My heads plunged in a bucket of chocolate! :shock:

Where's that meditation cushion!!

It's Friday' afternoon here. I've drawn a line under this week.

Here's to starting NoS again next week.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:49 am

Hi Debs, thanks for the tip about the quick check-in meditations -v helpful. Especially at the moment! :D

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:51 am

Ok, I'm still here - having settled down a lot this week. I've walked 50 mins the last 3 days out of 4 and have been regularly meditating since Sunday. My NoS hasn't been brilliant, I'm basically back on track but have been eating bigger portions that I would like at dinner. But I haven't been eating between meals or permasnacking. I do really want to stop emotional eating and develop better eating habits. (Have been thinking about the "Shrink Yourself" course recommended by Blue, but the dip in the Aussie dollar and accumulated expenses at the moment make me hesitate (unexpected root canal surgery for me last tuesday and a full head x-ray for DD coming up - double oivey...) Anyway, I can feel I have gained back some of the weight I lost. Clearly, I don't want it to stay and I absolutely don't want to gain more (Begone oh vile weight/bad habits!) so am yet again cleaning up my act! (Am v sick of all the to-ing and fro-ing on NoS the last few months - I just want to settle down now...how many tries does this take??)
Am loath to announce a re-commitment to NoS here as every time I do, I seem to react with the opposite. So I am just going to register that I am still here and start recording my food and exercise again... Day by Day...:D

Today - Thursday
Walked
Meditated

B: oats with seeds and honey = 3 milky coffees (oivey)
L: home-made quiche with extra corn and a small apple.

Tonight I am going out to a fundraising dinner....It will end up a red or an S because I will probably add dessert....I very rarely go out to a restaurant so it seems a little silly not to eat when I do go. (We do go to little Chinese cafes for cheapo meals with friends but that's a bit different to the full on Western restaurant thingy...)

Also, I'm re-considering the vanilla S days - I need to put some thought into what I'm eating and the ways in which I am eating ... anyway, not sure yet if I'l ltweak it or in what ways - I'll let myself get back on track and then work it out...

fun
x

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:45 am

I'm not being very clear at the moment. I meant to say that I'm thinking through how to approach today - may end up swapping today for a weekend S day (a general tweak I am thinking of making) - or else just having a main meal tonight ... or having dessert and calling it an S day or a red day...

Re swapping to one S day on a weekend - the reason for that is that I seem to do ok on one day, but lose it on the second. Having 2 days is sort of too long for me - seems to invite permasnacking in my case ...but anyway, am just thinking about it at the moment - we'll see...I may try it and if it doesn't work, then revert to vanilla No S.

Also meant to say how thrilled I am that Obama has been elected. I realise that many in the US didn't support him - and I don't want to offend anyone here - but the symbolism (and the practical effect) of the US electing a black president is just fantastic. My work place here in Australia produced champagne yesterday in honour of the event. :-) So so great.

fun
x.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Congrats on the sabbatical. I totally understand the stress, though. I start a new position at another institution in January, and I'm excited, and tremendously stressed at the same time. (Just the thought of cleaning out my office at my current institution... yikes! And while I don't have to move, I will have a real commute for the first time in my life....)

Anyway, taking No-S one day at a time with no big pronouncements is a very sane approach. :)

I still struggle with S-days (on and off), even after all this time. My strategies are

1) Re-read things that help me. (There's a "memo to self" I wrote and posted, and R's podcast on "S-days gone wild).
2) PLAN meals.
3) PLAN extra-good treats. (I know, that sounds incredibly counter-intuitive. But it works better for me than trying to "beat myself until morale improves.")
4) Remember to drink enough (I forget at home).

Don't know if any of this will work for you - but I am quite sure that YOU will figure out what does! :)

Best,
KCCC

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:58 am

Hi KCCC,
thanks for dropping by and for the advice. Yes, the planning in advance is a v helpful idea. Also the drinking - I tend not to drink enough water - so I'll keep it in mind.
BTW - good luck with the new job. I hope it goes really well for you!

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:00 am

I did go to the restaurant last night but only had a v v small entre (2 coin-sized pieces of goats cheese) and a main course (fish and salad). I'm calling it a green day because I virtual plated.

I'll post today's food later. :D

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:58 pm

Monday:
meditated
no exercise

B: scrambled eggs with tomato and dried strawberries on the side
L: cape seed roll with hummus, avocado and tomato, cup of plain yoghurt
D: singapore noodles with extra chicken.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:50 pm

Hiya Funfuture! Just wanted to wish you a nice week and to thank you for dropping by with your well wishes for me on my thread :)
I see you have done some meditation this week! Good for you.
You are inspiring me to do a little checkin meself today.
Much love
8) Debs x

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:13 am

Hi Debs,
Yes, the meditation is helpful, but I'm way off track with NoS at the moment. DD is home with chickenpox and I have missed a deadline on a big work project (but they've given me an extension)...meanwhile, I'm still eating...sigh.

I'm not sure how to get back on track, but am thinking of committing to a new 21 days starting on Monday...

Hope you are going well...

f
xx

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:20 pm

Ahhh I hated when Richie had the chicken pox! We actually got them a week apart from each other, but I went on a virus suppressant drug and his was off the hook awful!! You couldn't even recognise his face from all the pox and his fever was about 103 all week..
I am so sorry to hear she is sick and hope you both take good care of yourself..
Remember, Sick days are S days and I'd say in this case, to just roll with whatever happens and try to make both you and her comfortable.
Just start over next week!
Good luck with your project.
Love
8) Debs

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:37 pm

I realised tonight why I am so off-track and not really following NoS, despite how beneficial I found it - it's because my weight loss stalled for some months and I think I subconsciously gave up.

I know that's irrational - I lost about 18lbs and really increased my fitness. I also felt sooooo much better than I had for a few years, in general health and well being. I liked the manageability and structure of NoS. The problem is that I lost no weight over the winter, even though I stuck to it fairly well.

Clearly, I don't want to give up on NoS and gain back this weight. Equally clearly, the amounts I was eating were maintaining the lower weight, but not allowing further weight loss.

So, I need to rethink what I am eating and how I am exercising if I do want to lose more weight (and I do, I do...).

What I think I will try is:

- halve the dairy foods (one or no milky coffees, or else less cheese and yoghurt) - or limit the milky coffees to weekends? - I suspect the amount of dairy I am eating is a big part of the stalling weight loss...
- introduce some exercise that is high intensity as well as the walking - e.g. get back to doing shovelglove - I don't seem to be able to maintain 5 days a week - it's too much without building up to it, so I think I will aim for 2-3 days per week
- smaller meals - put a fence around the law and use half the plate for vegetables and fruit (not hard for me as I like them - I don't like being hungry, but I am going to have to face that head on).
- don't drink alcohol except on S days (also manageable)
- increase my water drinking
- stick to 3 meals on S days and perhaps limit treats to afternoon tea and desserts
- continue to meditate
- when I find myself feeling out-of-control and off-track, try to substitute something self-nurturing as a habit instead of eating (e.g. 3- min meditation or something I can do with DD)...

Worth a try - the beauty of the daily posts is that I can see what I was actually doing...:D

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:11 am

Starting 21 days today - Tuesday. Yesterday would have been okay but we ended up having dinner in a Chinese restaurant and they gave us complementary dessert (in honour of DD - happens to us now and then) which she wouldn't eat and so I ended up eating most of mine not wanting to offend...sigh. It was a typical Chinese dessert - served in a tea cup sized bowl - dark green bitter-melon jelly (only very slightly sweetened) and a drizzle of coconut cream on top. Probably fairly low cal. Personally, I found it delicious - I really like the non-sweet deserts you sometimes find in Asia...but dessert it was, so it wasn't a green day on habit cal.

But today will be. :-)

Haven't been posting my daily habits here lately, but will resume from today. I have been meditating (20 mins) most days. Haven't been exercising but DD went back to school today after her illness and I got in a 50-min walk this morning.

Have decided to sign up for "Shrink Yourself" - the program Blueskighs recommends.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:21 am

Funfuture,

Congratulatoins on your 21 days today!

Shrink Youself is kind of amazing, after all the therapy, 12 step work, WHATEVER I did on my eating stuff, Shrink Yourself really "cut to the bone". I think its because they really focus specifically and only on emotional eating. Let me know how it goes, I am excited for you,

Blue

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:27 am

Good luck with your 21 days Funfuture.
I will join you.
I had a good day today.
ps. I like green tea ice cream :wink:
Love
8) Debs x

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:09 am

Hi Blueskhighs and Debs - thanks for the support...

Have been a bit busy this week but reporting in now:

BTW - I have joined Shrink Yourself, Blue, and just completed the week 1 session last night. :)

Tuesday
exercise
No S
Meditation

Wednesday
Exercise
NoS
Meditation

Thursday
Exercise
NoS
Meditation

B: oats with mixed seeds and sultanas. 2 milky coffees.
L: capeseed roll with hommus, peanut butter, corn niblets, tomato and English spinach. Small apple.
D: Stir-fried tofu and vegetables with brown rice
Last edited by funfuture on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:51 am

Funfuture,

If I remember correctly I loved the first month, sometime in the second month they got into "the safety layer" and that kind of "undid" me, it was REALLY powerful ... and obviously very helpful, I can say that now on the other side :D

Blueskighs

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:26 am

aaaaghhhhh, Blue - now that sounds terrifying! But also kind of exciting....it would be so nice to unravel this emotional eating business and lay it to rest.
cheers
f
x :D

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:44 am

Hi Funfuture,

Sounds like you're dealing with a lot right now - good for you for taking on "Shrink Yourself" at the same time.

I admit to being curious but scared at the same time. Life is a little too stressful right now to add ANYTHING.

But I'm impressed that you're going there. :)

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

KCCC

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:22 am

But also kind of exciting....it would be so nice to unravel this emotional eating business and lay it to rest.
Funfuture,

it is exciting. although it does kind of throw a big huge bucket on emotional eating once and for all ... It is hard to explain the course but it is so neat ... do they still have the hunger coach? I really really REALLY loved that :D

Blueskighs

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:22 am

Just quickly checking in on the fly - end of semester and am a bit busy this week. Have stuck to NoS and meditating. Exercised all last week and Sat and Mon but not yesterday. Feeling more in control. :D I swapped Friday and Saturday last week and made Friday and Sunday my S days and that really worked well. Meant I couldn't just slip into my emotional eating as I'm wont to do at a relative's on Saturdays...Sunday afternoon was a bit crazy though. Have started the Shrink Yourself program. So far, only observing my behaviour, but that's good to do...am looking forward to getting into it more in the weeks ahead...
cheers
fun
x

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:38 am

Wed 26/11/08
NoS
Meditation

No exercise

B: porridge with seeds and sultanas
L: whole seed roll with avocado, tuna, cheese and lettuce
D: savoury mince with brown rice

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:47 am

I admit to being curious but scared at the same time. Life is a little too stressful right now to add ANYTHING.
Ditto KCCC, but life is so stressful just now that it is precisely the time when I will run into trouble with emotional eating - I checked the scales last weekend - I've pretty much held steady with my weight despite all the failures over the last few months. My big concern is that I don't want to revert and regain all the weight I lost. And I dooooo want to keep losing weight. So I figure now, when I am at my most likely to dive into a vat of chocolate, is the best time for me to tackle the emotional eating head on. And I must say, just signing up for Shrinkyourself has helped keep me on track this week. I've kept very closely to NoS despite various temptations and I was able to observe the real feelings of deprivation I had when I turned down the temptations to eat sweet things on one or two days....v interesting for me.

I also had an interesting interraction with my boss this week. I had a performance review of my work over the past year. But this year I have deliberately slowed down a bit and not worked so much late at night, etc. I have been making sure I get enough sleep most weeks, and also some regular exercise (which basically for me means stealing some time out of my work day). I was a bit nervous about the performance review, but the comments I received were very positive including that I had had "a very busy year". And when I did look back over the summary of my work I did have a very productive year - somehow or other, I managed to fit in more sleep and exercise and get more substantive things done. I was able to pass my grading etc to tutors and that helped enormously, but even despite that, I think what I unconsciously did was prioritise the tasks better. Having said that though, I have a major writing deadline I have to meet and that needs to take precedence of the next fortnight...:-) So less net surfing for me too and back to work!
cheers
Funx

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:56 am

it is exciting. although it does kind of throw a big huge bucket on emotional eating once and for all ... It is hard to explain the course but it is so neat ... do they still have the hunger coach? I really really REALLY loved that
Hi Blue,
yes they do still have the Hunger Coach but I am not eligible to use it till after week 4. Am looking forward to it though.

I've been thinking more and more lately about a year I spent in Japan a v long time ago now (20 years?) where I just naturally seemed to do NoS. The area where I was living was definitely not obesogenic! I rode a bicycle everywhere and ate 3 simple meals and didn't snack. I also got lots of rest and didn't work back or work on weekends, etc. I also had to face a lot of feelings that came up (particularly loneliness), which I found very hard but also good. It was also a time in my life when I had a couple of profound "spiritual" experiences - I think because I wasn't using food or work to "block" anything - I really did slip into being totally present in the moment a couple of times without intending to. I didn't practice meditation then. Not sure how to explain it...

Anyway, I would like to recreate that style of living here and now if I can...I think NoS is helping me to do that. I suspect Shrink Yourself will too, so many thanks for steering me in that direction...

On that track, your comment about shorter bursts of intensive exercise rather than walking rang a bell - in Japan I used to ride 15 mins to the station and back 2 or 3 times a week. I would take back roads and ride as fast as I could. I would always arrive absolutely puffed but totally exhilarated. I suspect that may also have helped the weight loss I experienced that year. I started from about the weight I am now and dropped 30lbs naturally, without meaning to. And I ended up feeling incredibly centred, relaxed and at peace with myself during that year. That's what I would really like to re-experience on a more or less permanent basis.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings!
Fun
x

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:00 pm

Thursday Nov 27

NoS
Meditation

No exercise

B: oats with seeds, sultanas and fresh strawberries. Coffee with milk x 2
L: fish & chips (just a taste on side of the plate) plus capeseed roll with ham, tomato, lettuce and mayonnaise, mango.
D: baked lamb with potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, corn, peas, gravy. 3 small apricots.

[/quote]

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:29 pm

On that track, your comment about shorter bursts of intensive exercise rather than walking rang a bell - in Japan I used to ride 15 mins to the station and back 2 or 3 times a week. I would take back roads and ride as fast as I could. I would always arrive absolutely puffed but totally exhilarated.
Funfuture,

what an interesting observation. I do find that keeping my cardio short and intense also really rachets down my hunger levels.

I think the hunger coach was at week 4 when I did it too. I was skeptical but in the end it was just kind of so cool!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Blueskighs

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:59 am

Friday
Did no exercise during the week, missed my meditation on Friday morning and had a high stress day (had to give a paper at a conference). I really wanted to chill out on Friday night and ended up having a glass of wine. But then I ate seconds... (vegetable patties)... so it was a red day. Back to square one for my 21 days. :oops:

The problem with me and alcohol is that while I enjoy the relaxation it gives me, I don't like the feeling of not being able to think clearly, and then I crave food to soak it up...easier for me to just not drink during the week...I'm going to have to be more disciplined with that and/or find another way to "treat" myself on Friday nights when I want to honour that end of the week, ok-to-let-my-hair down feeling.

Saturday and Sunday
Not outrageous though I enjoyed plenty of treats. I was actually a bit overfull and didn't really want dinner on Saturday night. Just had a light meal on Sunday night. So that was real progress for me.

Today is Monday and I am starting a new 21 days today. :D

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:20 am

Monday 1 Dec
Exercise- long walk
NoS
Meditation

B: oats with seeds and sultanas. 2 x coffee
L: vegetable quiche and breadroll with butter
D: fish (crumbed and pan-fried) with mashed potato, peas and corn.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:22 am

I should have added that last week was successful for NoS everyday except dinner on Friday when I had seconds of vegetable patties. I also meditated every day...think I made the week sound far worse than it actually was!

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:00 am

Tuesday December 2
NoS and Meditation

Had a sore back so didn't exercise.

B: multigrain toast with butter and vegemite
L: quiche with multigrain toast and peanut butter
D: noodles with vegetables and meat (rissole, broken up)

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:31 am

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday Dec 3-5

The rest of the week was also fine for NoS.
I also meditated every day (20 mins).
But no exercise....not really an opportunity this week...crazy work week again and I'm prioritising the meditation at the moment.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:08 am

S days weren't great. Snacked on lots of high fat high sugar chocolate on both days - again driven by fatigue and being over-stretched by activities. Glad to be back on an N day today...

Monday
NoS
Meditation 20 mins

B: oats with sultanas and mixed seeds. One milky coffee.
L: wholemeal bread sandwich with turkey breast, avocado, tomato and mayonnaise.
Afternoon: skim flat white
D: scrambled eggs and avocado on toast - then, because I was upset about something, I immediately had 3 or 4 dried apricots and two handfuls of mixed seeds. Glad I didn't fall into a full on binge, but it definitely was an emotionally driven snack rather than something I could virtually plate. (ie the intent behind eating it was the problem...)

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:33 pm

Tuesday
[colour=green]Meditation = 20 mins[/color]
NoS

B: oats with seeds and sultanas. 2 skim flat whites
L: 2 x sandwich with ham, avocado, tomato and mayonnaise
D: home-made meat pie, peas and bread roll. Went back for extra meat (seconds).

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:59 pm

Hi Fun! Sorry bout your emotional driven snack episode, but it sounds like you really did great at keeping it very contained!
Kudos to you!
I think part of your problem now is that you seem to make the most tasty food! Maybe if your cooking was worse it would be easier not to have seconds :wink:
Anyway, even with the technical red days, it still sounds as if you are doing great!
And keeping up with meditation! That's awesome!
Love,
8) Debs x

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:22 pm

Ha Ha - that made me laugh, Debs, about my cooking...not sure my dinner guests would always agree with you. :D I do like cooking, but I make pretty simple, quick to prepare meals. Nothing fancy at our house!

Yesterday - Thursday -

NoS
Meditation

No exercise - I know the exercise is crucial to my weight loss, but I am letting it go for the minute...

B: oats as usual. Coffee.
L: sandwich with lamb, spinach, tomato, avocado and mayonnaise. Mango
D: Leftover stew and potatoes, a couple of DDs chips.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:51 pm

Funfuture,

sometimes we just can't get it all in, I let my exercise go before my food, why? in the end our fitness is 80-85% what we eat, hence the "foundation" - when I am crunched for time I hang onto the "good eating" and let the exercise go, it is much easier to pick that back up when I have time and have been eating well,

Blueskighs

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:38 pm

thanks for the reassurance Blue. That's interesting about food being the key to fitness and health. I do want to pick the exercise back up and will soon.
Am feeling a lot better tonight - have had an amazingly productive week getting many things sorted for the trip to Beijing - lots of details are now falling into place. DD is definitely into a school (not my first choice, but a v good second choice - so a great plan B and a HUGE relief - we'll know about plan A at the end of December so keep your fingers crossed); I've just found someone to rent my house here (woohoo); my visa is being sorted; my airline tickets are in process; I've finally found someone who will fix a leak in my guttering that has caused a short in part of the house electrical system (that's taken months - too small a job for anyone to take on, apparently, but too dangerous for me to ignore!!!); various small house repairs are now underway ... yada yada yada. DD came home with a wonderful school report today. I got a good start on my writing project. We unexpectedly have a whole day to ourselves tomorrow - and our Xmas tree was delivered this afternoon ready for us to decorate with some small friends tomorrow evening - life is feeling pretty good. :D

Consequently, tonight seemed a good time to celebrate, so I declared it an S day (will make tomorrow an N day and Sunday an S day). Had my 3 meals but enjoyed 2 glasses of wine and some (lots?) dark chocolate. Overdid the chocolate (am paying for it now - groan), but that's good too because it helps teach me my limits. :D Aaaahhh - contented sigh. :D :D :D

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:49 pm

Funfutre,

how long will you be gone? That sounds so exciting! Will you be staying internet connected? Congrats on getting your house rented. Sorry so many questions, but would love to keep hearing from you on your adventure!!!!!! Do you and your daughter speak Chinese?

I have overdone the Dark Chocolate many times :shock: I am yet to be one of those "one square" folks, BUT my bars keep get smaller and smaller :D

Blueskighs

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi Blue,
we'll be away nearly six months. I have sabbatical-leave from the university where I lecture. Some background - The universities here are funded by the govt (well, all but 2) and those funds depend on 4 things - the number of undergrad students, postgraduate research completions, grants for research and the number of articles/books that staff publish. So staff have to keep researching and publishing. It really is "publish or perish". We get that leave every 3.5 years (not by right - you have to earn it) in order to get more research done. And every second one you get an airfare thrown in.

I teach writing to media students and I want to use the leave to write a book. I could do that anywhere really, but I've decided to take DD back to China where she was born. We will live in Beijing (Feb-July). Neither of us speaks Chinese, but I really want DD to learn mandarin and to have a good cultural experience. I figure that now is the right time to do that. She is only just 8. If I leave it another 7 years, till she is 15, she may not want to do it and she'll be too old to take such a lump of time out of her schooling, etc.

So, it's now or never really. She will be going to a bilingual school (mostly using Chinese language) but will be going into a lower grade. I figure learning the language and making friends will be enough without having to cope with new learning on top of that. We'll do a bit of homeschooling in maths and English and hopefully she can slot back into the Australian system on her return. Her teachers here don't seem to think that will be a problem (luckily, she is a good student and enjoys school!)

It's all been a bit terrifying, but this week was a real turning point and it is starting to feel very exciting. We should have internet connection while we are there - though China is famous for its firewall and dodgy connections, I am hoping we'll be ok. I had to attend a conference there last year and we stayed with some cousins (I barely knew) and they had wireless connection and used it all the time for work. It was great having that time with them as we got on well and they want us to live close to them and have been helping find a school for DD, etc.

It is v exciting... :D :D :D

If all goes well (and our funds don't run out) then I'm hoping we will get to spend a week in Bhutan on the way home. One of my postgrad students is living there with her husband and daughter. He produces documentaries and she is employed by the UN to train journalists on the first privately-owned newspaper under the new democracy. That will really be a holiday. I've never been there and it feels like the treat at the end of the trip! :D

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:16 am

Funfuture,

Wow! What an exciting time. When do you leave? I hope that your daughter has a wonderful experience and you can get your writing done. Also hope you can at least stay somewhat connected it would be nice to hear from you.

What an incredible adventure!

Blueskighs

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:28 pm

Hi Blue,
we leave Jan 30. I'm planning to stay connected. I really like NoS and this community. Although I'm still the same weight I've been for months, I recognise that I haven't gained anything back and that's remarkable in itself. So I'm really committed to NoS for life. I'll let you all know from time to time how we are going via this blog. :D

S days - ended up with a stomach ache on Saturday - just can't mix coffee, chocolate and wine - a dangerous combination.
Sunday was better but still pretty wild...

Monday
No Meditation today - literally no time - it's 3.30am & I've just finished the day's work...sigh. No exercise either.

B: Oats and seeds and sultanas
L: roll with chicken, tomato, spinach and mayonnaise
D: chinese meal in a restaurant with friends

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:12 pm

Wow...I just read about your China plans. What an adventure! I'm so glad you'll be trying to stay connected here as I'd love to hear about your experiences there. We have friends in Japan & are trying to convince our oldest to go spend a few weeks with them after high school. I'd go in a heartbeat if our finances allowed that!

Well done on staying steady on your weight through all that has been going on. That's a great success!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:19 am

Hi Jane, thanks for your message of support. It is an adventure, that's for sure! It's already an adventure and I am not even there yet. I hope your child does get to Japan. I spent a year teaching there once - it was fascinating. It wasn't the easiest year I have ever had, but it certainly was an experience I am really glad I had. I missed lots of opportunities in my youth because i was a scaredy cat, so I try to take as many leaps now as I can. :-) Life's too short not to. :D

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:23 am

Can't remember all the meals this week but know that I have had all green days. Didn't meditate till today, but got 20 mins in this morning. Haven't exercised. Have been doing Shrink Yourself, which has been going well, but is hard to fit in at the moment. Not sure I am giving it all the attention it deserves. Am going to really use my S days this week to work on that program. :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:04 pm

funfuture wrote:Can't remember all the meals this week but know that I have had all green days.
Well done gel! :wink:
8) Debs x

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:45 am

Have been doing Shrink Yourself, which has been going well, but is hard to fit in at the moment. Not sure I am giving it all the attention it deserves.
Funfuture,

you have so much going on! the only down side to Shrink Yourself is that it actually does take time, good luck in getting as much as you can out of it!

Blueskighs

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:58 pm

Thanks Debs and Blue.
Had a fantastic Xmas and New Year - am just back from holidays at the beach now - but NoS and moderation went out the window. Began again today though. Meditated this morning. Good sign. :D One of my NY resolutions is to lose 15 kgs (about 33lbs). That's about twice what I lost last year. I think it is achievable if I am stricter and more committed. Looking forward to the challenge and getting the S days under control.
fun
xx

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:42 pm

Hmmm haven't quite settled down again after the holidays. Am still doing shrink yourself, but have been having lots of emotional eating episodes lately. Settled down though this weekend, which is great. Today was an S day but I treated it as an N day because I just couldn't face eating too much.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:47 pm

Am still settling back down to NoS, but am basically happy with how this week has been going.
I realised tonight that I've been on a downhill run with NoS ever since people complimented me back in August on my new shape (after 8 months of NoSing). I seem to have been self sabotaging ever since. I am half way back to my starting weight. But this week sanity has returned. I haven't quite settled back into what I want to eat each day but I have cut out snacks and sweets. Portion control is my next thing. I had salad for dinner tonight but was still very hungry at the end so ate some more grilled chicken. Technically seconds, but I am not that worried about it. Compared to what I have eaten over the last month, it's a huge step forward.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:51 am

We move to China at the end of next week, so I don't have a lot of time to check in at the moment, but I'll drop in when I can.

B: wholegrain toast with butter, vegemite and boiled egg.
L: leftover noodles breadroll with humous and spinach
D: Restaurant - fish coated in sesame seeds with salad and mashed potato
coffees with skim milk.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:22 pm

funfuture wrote:Am still settling back down to NoS, but am basically happy with how this week has been going.
I realised tonight that I've been on a downhill run with NoS ever since people complimented me back in August on my new shape (after 8 months of NoSing). I seem to have been self sabotaging ever since. I am half way back to my starting weight. But this week sanity has returned. I haven't quite settled back into what I want to eat each day but I have cut out snacks and sweets. Portion control is my next thing. I had salad for dinner tonight but was still very hungry at the end so ate some more grilled chicken. Technically seconds, but I am not that worried about it. Compared to what I have eaten over the last month, it's a huge step forward.
Glad that you're getting back on track. An important realization about the "self-sabotage" - hope you find a way through/around it. Best wishes... and please check in from China as you are able.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:37 pm

Wow!! Good luck with your move to China Fun!!! Very exciting!!! :D
Let us know how you are when you are back around.
Love
8) Debs x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:42 pm

Sorry for double posting here Fun, but just read what you wrote a few days back and want to reply to that..
I don't really believe that we "self sabotage" after doing well, and losing weight, consciously.. For me, it's just letting down of my guard and almost a smug and very false sense of security that comes with the weight loss..
I hope you are back on track. It's bloody hard to change these life long habit thingies I'd say..
Awareness is key!
Again, have a great time settling over in China!
Keep up on your meditation.. Maybe being in China will automatically make you feel more "Zen" :wink:
Love
8) Debs x