HowFunIsThat - daily chek-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:19 pm

CRAZY busy day today...but it went great. My daughter ate a donut in the grocery store & didn't want the last quarter of it...she handed it to me & I threw it out...did you hear that? I THREW OUT PART OF A FRESH DONUT!!!! And it was lunchtime...and I hadn't eaten yet! Needless to say, it was a great moment.

Off to finish those Halloween costumes....

janie
Last edited by howfunisthat on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:13 pm

janie,

that is WAY COOL! 8)

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:28 pm

Blueskighs...you are always so encouraging! I wanna be like you when I grow up! :D Although, I'm probably SUPPOSED to be grown up by now & I'm most likely older than you....I STILL wanna be like you....

All's well here...I thought about making Halloween an "S" day, but I think I'll just not bother....better pile on those greens while I'm encouraged!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:04 pm

Another GREEN yesterday. I had considered making Halloween a yellow day, but i'm so glad I didn't. I like chocolate...LOVE chocolate...but I love GREAT chocolate & it wasn't worth eating anything from last night. We never get any kids at the door so there's nothing left from that...but my kids would share....I just didn't even want to ask them....this HAS to be a first!

I'm off to work on Day whatever it is....

janie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:57 pm

janie,
Holloween wasn't an S Day for me, but the next day was Saturday and I had my share of Holloween candy then!
Kathleen

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:34 pm

Where have all the days gone? I'm still on track, but haven't felt well all week so I've had more struggles than usual. I'm hanging in there though as I know this will get easier again soon....

I'm over 100 days now....wish the pounds would slide off faster, but these pounds have been on me a lot of years so they are pretty stuck! I'm just going to keep working.....

janie

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:25 pm

Hey Janie,

I like that visual of stuck pounds. Now, where is that crowbar? Or in our case here, it is a sledge hammer.

Hope you feel better

Resting :)

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:58 pm

Resting...if a crow bar would work, I think I would try it somedays!!! I know this plan is better than a crow bar, but I'm so impatient sometimes!

I felt really icky again yesterday....woke up with what must have been a migrane...awful headache & a sick stomach. Thankfully I didn't start eating a lot after I felt better!

Today will be a lovely shade of green.....

janie

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:21 pm

Yay! Kudos to you for not resorting to grazing. I like how Reinhard says that we are pre-disapproved to snack, second, sweet. Makes life so much easier.

I agree with the crowbar thing. Like, just suck the fat out and let me be on the other side of this. :) Still, I would miss this journey for the world.

Resting

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:03 pm

Howfunisthat and Resting...

Totally off-topic, but I just wanted to pop in and tell you how much I love the sig lines that both of you use! :)

Cheers,

KCCC

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:42 pm

KCCC....Off topic is great!...and I agree...I LOVE the "Isn't fall just like walking through Crayons!" line. I spent a week this fall in Vermont...right at the peak leaf season & that's exactly what it was. I make glass beads & LOVE, LOVE, LOVE color. Sometimes I just sit in my studio area and mix all the colors up to see different combinations. It's magic....

Hope you have a great day...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:17 pm

What a dreary Day 105....it's gonna be green though!

The last couple of weeks have been hard...a struggle to keep encouraged. I haven't had any red days....all green & yellow...but I felt as if I was hanging on by a thread. The last two days have been so much better...as if I'm not just hanging on, but excited to move forward...and it's about time! Yesterday was a solid and today will be too....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:45 pm

Day 105 was a lovely Green! I went to the "Y", ate yummy & healthy food, and didn't finish what was on my plate at dinner. It feels wonderful to be back on track again. Today is my second yellow for the week & my goal is to enjoy the day, but not stray far from green.

Homemade granola & raisins here I come...janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:41 pm

Yesterday was a great YELLOW day. I had a couple of wonderful cookies & ate well the rest of the day....but I have to say I'm glad to be back on a green day. I'm so prone to overeat on yellow days....the rest of the week goes well...I think it's time to put some thought into making the yellows more structured for me....

Off to have a green day...janie

Floridagirl

Hey there sis

Post by Floridagirl » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:43 pm

Now I have started my own check-in blog. Both of the weekend days were yellow because I decided that I needed to have some of that Ben and Jerry's. I had half of the carton each night. My other days have been green though. Clothes are getting looser! Keep it up!!! :lol:

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:15 pm

Hi there Florida...it's such fun to have you here...

Josh tried calling on Saturday but you weren't home....he'll try again tonight...the glasses are a hoot!!!! I love them!

All's well here...I had a solid GREEN day yesterday....another building block kinda day.

I've been experiencing something odd...I'm not finishing every plate lately! How weird is THAT? I got to the bottom of my yogurt, granola & raspberries bowl yesterday and didn't want another bite. Odd...definitely odd. Of course this never seems to happen on weekends when I have dessert in front of me, but it's a start anyway! :lol:

If yesterday was green....today can be green too...off I go...

janie

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:34 pm

Hey Y'all,

Sweet about the Fall comments. I think that would be great fun-making glass beads, I mean, playing with the colors. Hey, you could make some NoS necklaces with 5 green, 2 yellow, and...........what to do with the red??

Resting

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:46 pm

howfunisthat wrote:I've been experiencing something odd...I'm not finishing every plate lately! How weird is THAT? I got to the bottom of my yogurt, granola & raspberries bowl yesterday and didn't want another bite. Odd...definitely odd. Of course this never seems to happen on weekends when I have dessert in front of me, but it's a start anyway! :lol:

If yesterday was green....today can be green too...off I go...

janie
Hah!! That's amazing Janie! I'm happy to hear you are naturally needing less and noticing your appetite has gone down a bit, and stopping when you are full. That is a great bit of natural progress by sticking to healthy eating patterns. It took me about 6 months of being on NoS for me to "downsize" my overloaded plates.. I'm not sure how long you have been doing this, but I do remember the great accomplished feeling I had when I was able to say, "I don't really want another bite" and would leave a small portion of whatever it was I was eating. It wasn't a struggle. It just happened naturally.
So cool.
Good for you!
And nah worry bout the turning down dessert on the S days! LOL :wink:
Thanks very much for dropping by my page with your good wishes.
Hope you have a great week.
8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:26 pm

Resting....What a great idea!!! I definitely SHOULD make a green & yellow necklace...and forget the red...who needs red anyway? Perhaps I could get Richard to sell them with his mugs. I absolutely need one!

I do love making beads...I get to play with molten glass...How fun is THAT? I sell on Etsy.com and have sold a lot on Ebay up until recently. Ebay is just taking too much commission on sales so I'm not there much anymore. My beads are mostly on Etsy.com so if you ever get a chance, look me up there....if you search on HowFunIsThat (one word), you'll find my shop. I love having something I enjoy that's just for me.

Thanks for dropping in!
janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:33 pm

Deb....Thanks for dropping in!

We're definitely on a weird journey, aren't we? Weird & wonderful! Last night the "I can't eat any more dinner" thing happened again....and I loved it. I can't get over the fact that I'm finally...after 48 years....changing from the inside out. I find it amazing.

Hope the week is going well for you!!!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:38 pm

Oops....I forgot to do the check-in thing!

Yesterday was a mixture of emotions. I woke absolutely encouraged, then tried on the evil jeans...you know...the ones that ya WANT to wear, but stubbornly don't seem to ever quite fit? So after I tried on the evil jeans, got discouraged & wanted to quit. I went to the "Y", then had lunch...a bit more than usual, but still green. By dinner I was back to not worrying about the jeans. I sat down, ate a quarter of what I had on my one plate & decided that was enough....so....I'm very, very glad I didn't overeat at lunch....I would have missed out on having a very green, very encouraging day. I might not be losing as quickly as I want to, but I'm changing and that is the key.

Off to have a green day...janie

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:05 am

Janie,

The beads are gorgeous!!! I love the folded ones that look like fall colors.

And you are doing great on NoS! How neat that you those evil jeans flip you into redland! Here's to greenland.

Resting

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:30 pm

Resting,

How nice of you to drop in. Thanks for the compliment on my beads...I LOVE melting glass & even though the market is horrible right now, it's nice to have the ability to make some money with something I enjoy so much.

I had a red day yesterday...the first in a long time...the third since I've started. Red is scary....I don't want to get derailed...don't want to backtrack...I want to go forward and be rid of this extra weight choking my life.

Fridays & Saturdays are my yellow days so I guess all will be well today unless I'm an idiot about it...I'm planning to stay green until our friends come for dinner...then I'll eat dessert, call it a yellow and move on. I will NOT fail this time...I will NOT let my bad habits win....If I can have three red days in 108, then I can have just 3 more in the next 108....so here I go...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:17 pm

We had too many sick germs in our house yesterday so our friends did not come for dinner....and, therefore, yesterday was GREEN instead of yellow. I needed a green to start getting back on track...

Day 112 here I come...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:31 pm

Two YELLOW days over the weekend. I pulled out my "No S" book today to re-read some sections. I'm doing fine on green days, but I think my "S" days are preventing me from losing more weight. I'm stable...but haven't lost anything more in awhile. So....I need to figure out what to do differently...I'm just plain eating too much. I wasn't doing that in the beginning so I need to revert back to being cautious even on the special days. I'm off to have a great green day...

janie

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:27 am

Janie,

my S days got more "wild" the third and fourth month on No S, I think I may have actually gained a little weight which I quickly lost again. It is kind of an interesting phenomenon but sounds like you are doing the right thing.
....I need to figure out what to do differently...I'm just plain eating too much.
This is exactly the point I got to. I think this is part of the "process" we go along go along and then as our bodies get smaller we need to adjust our food intake. What I love about No S is that it is possible to do this "organically" over time. And definitely in August I did have to "retool" my S days. The beauty of it was that by then I really wanted to and I think that makes all the difference!

You are really doing great!

Blueskighs

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:21 pm

Blue...

How do you know exactly when to chime in and be the encouragement someone really needs? 'Cause every time I need some, you're right there!

I'm hanging in there....I'm determined that this is my life-plan....but I know that 48 years of bad habits can't be completely dealt with in just a few months. I'm going to keep working at this....and try to keep my focus on being healthy one day at a time.

Thanks so much for popping in...your encouragement means more than I can explain...

Have a great day! janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:16 pm

I had a very successful GREEN day yesterday. I know, I know, if it was green it was successful, but there are "I'm hanging on by a thread" green days, and there are "I'm doing this but struggling through every hour" green days, and then there are "I know I'm going to succeed" green days...those are the best, aren't they? Yesterday was encouraging again & I think I really needed that. Today will be green...and I'm planning to get to the "Y" this evening so I know it'll be a good day.

Off to help with school....

janie

Burgher

Post by Burgher » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:30 pm

Janie, I agree that it is the most wonderful ''proud of me day" when it comes to the end and you have eaten the S way "all the way". There should be another color on the calendar for the really really successful days.
Keep on keeping on,
Marie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:16 pm

Thanks for dropping by, Marie.... I think magenta would be a great color for the best of the best....or maybe lime green! I make glass beads and have so many variations of green glass...maybe I'll pick one out & do what Resting suggested and make some bracelets out of green beads....with just one red one to remind me to keep on alert for difficult days...

Yesterday was a solid GREEN day. I went to a cafe for dinner with a friend & ordered my favorite item there...chicken ceasar salad. I was really hungry since we didn't meet until 7:00 and I'd had lunch at noon. I've ordered this a few times but when I saw it I thought, "I never realized how big that thing was!" I ate about 3/4th of it and left the rest. Amazing. THAT was just amazing. This was at the same grocery store/cafe that I threw out the rest of my daughter's uneaten donut. I think I really like that place....

Day 119 here I come!

Janie

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:37 pm

Isn't is wonderful to be amazed at these simple things?

Hooray to the salad story!
Hooray to YOU!

Oooooo, a bracelet with all those different shades of green!!!!!!!

Resting

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:09 pm

Resting....it is kind of amazing to be so encouraged over such simple victories....but anyone who has years of bad eating habits ingrained understands what milestones these are!

I'm in the middle of a huge order for beads, but when I'm done I'll spend some time making some green beads....you had such a great idea about putting some together for No S. I can't wait to get started!

Have a great day! janie

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:47 am

Love the salad story! You are really moving along. Congrats!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:16 pm

KCCC...thanks for dropping in! It's amazing how good it feels NOT to eat something. I feel as if I'm learning to be in control of food instead of food being in control of me. Amazing....simply amazing...

Yesterday...I don't remember yesterday...I know it was green...oh yeah....it was busy with making & sending beads. Today will be more of the same with friends coming for dinner later.

Off & running...janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:11 pm

Yesterday was a solid YELLOW. I ate seconds at dinner & a small dessert....which is better than some of my recent yellow days. My greens are going fine, but I'm trying to be more careful on my yellows since I tend to get myself into a grazing pattern on some of them....but yesterday was fine...and fun....and successful...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:52 pm

Day 119 was GREEN.

Off to work on Day 120...

janie

Burgher

Post by Burgher » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:34 am

Janie, I am impressed with you doing a green on a yellow day. I should have done that today. I had to remind myself that I could have a snack and seconds, both of which I did. Altho they were good seconds and snacks.
It never occured to me to not do a yellow when I am allowed.
Congratulations on 119 days.
Marie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:55 pm

Yellow yesterday....but I definitely ate too much. It wasn't red, but I think it was on the orange side! Green today & off to Chicago tomorrow for Thanksgiving...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:03 pm

I'm checking in and our quickly today. We're traveling for Thanksgiving & have a to-do list a mile long.

Yesterday was a lovely green....no problems...no extras....it felt great. I'm counting on a yellow for Thanksgiving and an extra yellow for Friday....I'm taking my boys into downtown Chicago for the day & I'm going to enjoy every morsel of Gino's East pizza! And if I want seconds, I'm going to eat it without guilt! I might even have a Portillos hot dog for dinner! Yum.....

janie

Burgher

Post by Burgher » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:10 pm

Janie, Sounds like you are going to have a great Thanksgiving Holiday. Forgetabouttheturkey. Chicago famous Pizza and Portillo hot dogs and a turkey dinner, what is not to love.
Marie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:03 pm

I'm back from Chicago. Not a great eating week though. I did enjoy Chicago pizza & Portillos hot dogs, but the snacking in the car really did me in. I had hoped to avoid doing that, but I was feeling emotional...and the snack bag was right next to me in the car. And, I just didn't fight it very hard. Yuck.

But I'm back. And I'm trying not to beat myself up too badly. I've had 2 green days since I've been back & I'm going to have another one today.

I will not fail....period. I had a bad week...but I'm not planning on failing.

I'm starting a new round of 21 days....I'm already on Day 3 so I can accomplish this before Christmas...I can make that my own Christmas present. Oh...and my stomach just growled! I love that noise...

Off & running....

jane

Off to accomplish Day

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:29 pm

I'm starting a new round of 21 days....I'm already on Day 3 so I can accomplish this before Christmas...I can make that my own Christmas present. Oh...and my stomach just growled! I love that noise...
Jane,

this is the commitment that will make you successful and continue to build your habit! Glad you are back and your looooooooong car trip was safe!

Blueskighs

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:10 pm

Hi Blue,

You are so right...again! There are times when I want to be discouraged, but then I think about how I'm changing and realize that it doesn't matter how long this whole process takes. I really didn't like the uncontrolled snacking I did over the weekend....I felt awful...but I didn't stop. I would have continued in a downward spiral this week if it weren't for this plan. I'm in the middle of my third green day for this week & even though I didn't like how I ate this past week, there is no guilt...and that's amazing progress...so....I'm walking forward with my head held high....

Thanks for all your encouragement....it means more than I can explain....

Janie

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:17 am

I think the most valuable lesson of No-S is how to handle failure.

It's temporary. Unless you choose to quit trying.

You've already made a very different choice. Go, Janie!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:06 pm

KCCC....

Thanks for dropping by! You're right...it's the failures that make us really cemented into this way of eating. So....I just poured some cement! :lol: I read a bit of Richard's book last night & underlined a few more quotes. I'm not giving up....the alternative to eating this way is just not an option. I never want to go back to the way I ate before....I was miserable....

Thanks again for stopping by! I appreciate the encouragement very much!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:16 pm

Oops....forgot to check in.

All was well yesterday. It was the third GREEN in a row after the Thanksgiving/vacation in Chicago blow-out. Well....it might not have been a blow-out...but it wasn't pretty anyway.

I am determined to be an "after" picture. But why? I've been thinking about this a lot...and yup, I'd like to be at a healthy weight for my frame. But more than that, I want to put this whole eating disorder stuff on the shelf & not dwell on it ever again. It's the thoughts and striving...the obsession and hunt for a cure that is so draining. So....my current thought is that since the real problem is internal, I'm already closer to being an "after" picture internally since the majority of my changes are happening inside right now. Yup, I've lost weight & feel better, but I'm not there yet. I think I'm finally getting the "change happens on the inside" thing.

Well, enough thinking for the day...I'm off & running....

janie

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:34 am

Janie,
How wonderful!
"The changes are on the insides." I wonder if Reinhard Knew how powerful this would be.

Proud of you!

Resting

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:32 pm

Resting...You're so kind to drop in...

I've wondered the same thing as you...and come to the conclusion that I don't think Richard could know how deeply this would impact people. He obviously understands how radical this plan is...and the potential in it to change instilled eating habits. But this seems to go even beyond that to de-emphasize food and food addictions. I've never heard of anything that can do that. AND....the craziness is that it's so brilliantly simple.

I don't remember a time when I wasn't addicted to food & dieting. I started dieting at 5 so I must have had food issues before that. (Although when I look back objectively I had an overactive pituitary so I matured very early....I think the weight "issue" I had then was partially this...but that's a thought for another day.) Anyway....how can I spend my whole 48 years trying diet after diet, counting every fat gram, every calorie, trying to combine foods, eliminate foods, eat only raw foods, only yucky foods....and then feel such freedom from the obsession of dieting in just a few months? I'm not done....I have miles to go on this....but the internal difference is amazing to me. Amazing.

I could go on & on, but I suppose I should start my day.....oh yeah...and check in on yesterday!

Green day yesterday...I ended up eating just two meals as I didn't get breakfast in before noon. It felt wonderful to not feel as if I was missing out on something...

Off to have a green Friday...

janie

starflower

Post by starflower » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:01 am

Hi Janie,

Congrats on your new "string of GREENS" and starting a new 21 days. Very inspirational. Keep going, freedom fighter.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:04 am

Go Janie!!!!!

Your Green Freedom post is wonderful. Away with addictions to food and dieting! I never thought about being addicted to dieting! Whoa.

Resting

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:31 pm

Starflower...Thanks! Freedom is what we're after! Can't wait 'til we're all there!!!

Resting...Can't you see us all in battle gear stabbing away at food? :lol: I love it!

Easy day yesterday even though I ate lunch & dinner out...chicken salad sandwich for lunch, chicken ceasar salad for dinner...

Today I'm making Christmas cookies with my 3-year old and I'm so glad it's and "S" day 'cause I'm going to enjoy a big fat frosted cookie probably with sprinkles!

janie

whisper2701

Post by whisper2701 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:49 am

Hi Janie!

Just wanted to say that I read your posts from Dec 4th and 5th and found them both so inspiraing. I think it is just great what you said about changes happening on the inside. I'm really wanting changes on the inside because I know that that is what will finally make a difference.

Really inspiraing!

Linda

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:21 pm

Hi Linda,

Thanks for stopping in! You're right....those internal changes are the ones that last....

I've not checked in for a few days. I'm still here....still working on all this....but I was a bit apathetic on Monday & Tuesday...then I realized I was PMSing and life seemed back to normal, thankfully!

I'm off to make today Green...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:54 pm

Had a very satifying GREEN day yesterday. I just read on someone's post "stop trying to figure it all out and just do it". What a great statement. After years & years & diets & plans & analyzing & weighing & counting....the bottom line is that I just have to do this. Period. Let me say it again....I just have to DO this. No excuses...no snacks...no sneaking...just do it. My eating habits have changed....I've lost enough weight to feel better & wear clothes I couldn't...but I'm still fighting with myself...still having those days when I think food is going to make me feel better....and most of the battles I win...but some I don't. Maybe I need to see myself as more active in this battle....'cause I could spend the next year battling this in small increments or I could step up the pace and just get it done. So....today is going to be a day I take this even more seriously. I'm pretty strict about what constitutes a green or yellow or red day....but I've too many red days from the beginning of October until now. August & September were terrific, but perhaps now is when the rubber meets the road...I'm either going to do this thing or I'll end up struggling along with it forever. And I believe this plan is the answer. Okay...enough talk for today. It's going to be a great day....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:22 pm

Yesterday was the best YELLOW day I've had in weeks. Why? Because I didn't graze myself through the day. I had a piece of cherry pie for dessert & that was my treat. Period. Someone was writing about limiting treats on "S" days and it was exactly what I need now. Green days are a piece of cake now (pun intented), but Yellow days are too close to my old habits of permagrazing and uncontrolled eating. I've been on this long enough to know that I need a bit more structure to hold myself back on "S" days. And I feel ready to do that. I think I'm going to start by allowing myself one sweet, one snack & one second every "S" day and hopefully I won't eat all three...but I need to put some parameters on the number of treats I have. Now...I'm not saying that this should be what everyone does....'cause I'm adding a rule and that can mess up the whole plan for someone. I'm in this for the long-haul and if I try this for a month without success, I'll just go back to the vanilla version.

I'm off to enjoy my yellow day!

janie

KAxelrod

Post by KAxelrod » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:33 am

Great to hear about your YELLOW day. Sounds like we really have been struggling with the same things, and coming to the same solutions.

To continued success!!

Enjoy your N day tomorrow!

whisper2701

Post by whisper2701 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:18 pm

Loved reading your thoughts on your yellow day. I'm having the same issues with too much snacking on S Days that just makes me feel that I'm out of control which in turn brings on the negative talk.

So I am also thinking of putting a little more structure to my S days. I think in the beginning I need to pay a little more attention to what I eat on S days.

Have a great week! :D
Linda

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:38 pm

Hi Karen & Linda...

Thanks for dropping in. We're all in the same boat these days! "S" days are the days that are trouble, aren't they? I understand just letting them be for awhile & adjusting to the availability of what we crave so that we don't overdo it on the weekdays, but it sounds as if we're all ready to move on & get some more structure to help on those "S" days. I had two wonderful yellow days this weekend & that hasn't happened in a long time! Yesterday I had a snack of grapes and my DH & I went to a Christmas open house where I had a couple of small squares of dessert that added together would have made about one large brownie. I felt SOOOOO much better enjoying one snack & one dessert instead of grazing through the whole day. I'm planning to do "one of each" again next weekend. Something had to happen about the "S" days....I was starting to get really discouraged....and that's never good.

Karen....it was your post on limiting your "S"s on the weekends that triggered my decision too...thanks so much! I love coming to the boards & going away encouraged & ready to change!

Oh...so....as a check-in....yesterday was a very satisfying shade of YELLOW...and that was including the Christmas open house too! I feel as if the next thing to conquer in this adventure is the desire to graze constantly on the "S" days. That has to stop. I will not lose any more weight until I gain control over it. So....this is the next battle. And I'm planning to win.

Green Monday here I come.
janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:17 pm

Yesterday was a very GREEN day and it feels so good to be having quite a few non-struggling days in a row. I really believe getting the "S" days a bit more under control are going to help me a great deal. I went Christmas shopping with three of my kids yesterday before my dentist appointment & I didn't even eat the leftover pizza my 3-year old didn't want. THIS is progress in my book.

Green Tuesday here I come...

janie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:38 pm

Congratulations Janie! Not cleaning our little ones plates is such a big thing! Definitely worth being proud of! You exhibited great self control!
Nice work :wink:
Have a nice week.
8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

KAxelrod

Post by KAxelrod » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:23 am

Yes, Janie - good work not eating the leftover food off your son's plate.

You know, I thought once my kids were older, I wouldn't need to do that anymore. At dinner, my 14 year old son left a portion of some sweet potato on his plate. Well - I knew I couldn't eat it, because I had already plated up, so I asked my husband to eat it. Bad, bad, bad. And my husband has even been doing a modified version of No S with me, even though he has no weight to lose. I'm happy to report that my husband did NOT feel the need to eat that sweet potato.

Anyway...here's to not cleaning off other peoples' plates!

-Karen

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:39 pm

Hi Karen...

Isn't it amazing when people don't struggle to NOT eat something? If I watch thin people eat I just want to shake my head....they just eat when they are hungry & stop when they are full. What a concept! I think it's a very difficult thing to explain the compulsion to eat to someone who has never had difficulties with food. They just plain don't get it. Oh well...I'm swamped today & haven't a moment more to ponder that this morning! :lol:

Yesterday was GREEN....yeah me! I even went to the "Y", rode a bike for 30 minutes and swam 1/4 mile. Again...yeah me!!! :lol: I'm beginning to believe I really AM going to win this battle....it's not just a possibility....I'm going to win....my difficult days are not over...but I'm going to finish this....and win...and that's amazing.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:40 pm

Another GREEN day yesterday.

Today I'm taking a special yellow day with relatives coming over. It just feels so good to have more of a plan for "S" days instead of just battling my grazing instinct.

Busy day ahead so I'm off & running....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:41 pm

Yesterday was YELLOW for me. And it was a terrific yellow too. I ate a couple more sweets than I'd planned, but no seconds & no snacks....so I'm happy. We don't have a lot of family in town and yesterday was a very fun family gathering. I enjoyed every minute of it....and every bite too!

Today will be green....I can feel it...

janie

whisper2701

Post by whisper2701 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:40 pm

Glad to hear you had a good Yellow Day! The more good yellow days we have the easier and more confident it will be to handle those S Days. :)

Linda

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:54 pm

Thanks Linda!

You're so right....changing these bad eating habits of 48 years are just plain hard....we're we going to win!!!

janie

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:05 pm

The more good yellow days we have the easier and more confident it will be to handle those S Days
Linda,

this is so true!

Janie, glad you ENJOYED your S DAY!

Blueskighs

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:09 pm

Hi Blue...Thanks for popping in!

I've been MIA for over a week & after a few days of not being here I decided I just was going to stop feeling guilty about it. I had a green day today & hope to do the same tomorrow & the rest of the week. I'll make NY Eve a yellow day, but I only need one day for that. I ran into some emotional baggage over the past week or so but I'm better...life is better...my resolve is better. So...I'm here...I'm making myself healthy...I'm going to the "Y" on a regular basis...life is good.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:30 pm

GREEN day yesterday. It wasn't easy when dinner rolled around...I wanted another bowl of broccoli cheese soup! But I figured that wasn't going to die if I didn't have another bowl. Perhaps what I should be asking myself is, "What's going to happen if I don't eat that?" Or..."What's going to happen if I EAT that?" Wow! Can you imagine having enough self-control to ask a question before indulging? I'm not sure I can do that...but it sounds as if it's exactly what I SHOULD be doing. Instead of just trying NOT to eat something, maybe I should be taking those moments of temptation and actually THINKING about the ramifications. Thinking....hmmmm. It's definitely food for thought (pun intended).

Green day here I come!
janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:56 pm

Yesterday was an easy GREEN. I haven't yet decided if today will be yellow or green since we're not sure if we'll go to the party at my nephew's. There's a foot of snow in the driveway with more to come so we might be stuck up here on our hill for the night. If there's no party there's no dessert so today will be green....at least that's the plan! I already know tomorrow won't be green 'cause I'm making cheesecake - my favorite dessert! And I'm going to enjoy every bite!

janie

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:56 pm

howfunisthat wrote:GREEN day yesterday. It wasn't easy when dinner rolled around...I wanted another bowl of broccoli cheese soup! But I figured that wasn't going to die if I didn't have another bowl. Perhaps what I should be asking myself is, "What's going to happen if I don't eat that?" Or..."What's going to happen if I EAT that?" Wow! Can you imagine having enough self-control to ask a question before indulging? I'm not sure I can do that...but it sounds as if it's exactly what I SHOULD be doing. Instead of just trying NOT to eat something, maybe I should be taking those moments of temptation and actually THINKING about the ramifications. Thinking....hmmmm. It's definitely food for thought (pun intended).

Green day here I come!
janie
Wow, Janie, it really sounds as if you've reached a new level in decision-making. Just envisioning "what will this be like" if you do or don't eat stuff... almost zen! :)

(Thanks for dropping by my thread. I've been too rushed to visit much - and that will continue for a while - but it's always nice to get a hello."

KCCC

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:36 pm

Hi KCCC...

Thanks for popping in. The new thought process might be good...but it's whether I can actually APPLY it to my eating that's the key! LOL!!!

So...yesterday was a New Year's Eve solid YELLOW. It would have been green, but I had a peanut butter brownie after dinner. BUT....no regrets, no guilt....the rest of the day was great! I make a cheesecake every year on New Year's Day so I might make today a yellow instead of Sunday...but we'll see. I might wait until tomorrow for cheesecake instead. I'm convinced this is my year to conquer this eating stuff...it's not a new year's resolution or anything...just a confidence in this plan that it will carry me through the year in a healthy way....and I'm excited!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:33 pm

Yesterday was GREEN...but I struggled all day...from morning until when the whole family was eating leftover cheesecake. I wanted a snack in the afternoon...I wanted seconds at dinner...I wanted cheesecake...I wanted, wanted, wanted! Thankfully, even though I ate more than I should have, I kept it to three plates. (I moved my weekend up so I could have some treats on Friday). I'm planning on today being green too...yup....I know....we all need our weekend "S" days...but I had enough yellow days this week to last awhile. I'm greening this weekend to get a kick-start on my new year. This is MY year....period.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:13 pm

Another GREEN day. It wasn't nearly as difficult as Saturday was. I emotionally NEEDED these days to be green. I really want to make January a fabulous month....so here I go....January 5 here I come...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:08 pm

GREEN is now my favorite color.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:27 pm

I never did like green before....but I really do think it's a terrific color. A delightful color...the best color in the world. I want to see GREEN on a daily basis...it makes me happy.

janie

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:12 pm

You realy are doing great Janie.

Marjolein

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:29 pm

Thanks Marjolein!

All's well here....GREEN again yesterday. Man, I NEEDED a good string of green days after struggling so much over the holidays. I didn't even bother trying to figure out which days were green or yellow or red....I just am moving on....and that feels good. I'm not sure who wrote about "just declaring a red week"...but I suppose that's exactly what I did. I was emotional, and struggling, and I just couldn't do it all. Oh well....I'm back on track again....and when I struggle again, hopefully I'll be back on track faster. Today will be green & I'll see how the weekend goes. I'll take my yellows, but I'm going to try and keep the extras on a leash. This is my year....my year to conquer this.

janie

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:57 pm

We sure will conquer this weight thing this year Janie!!!!

Marjolein

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:30 pm

I've really been enjoying reading back through your journal, thank you for sharing yourself here. I find myself nodding along as I read.

Burgher

Post by Burgher » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:56 am

janie, isn't it wonderful that we can celebrate and eat with abandon and afterwards get right back into the program and feel good about it?
What is not so wonderful is depriving ourselves of all the really good food during the holidays and not feel good about it but more like a martyr.

I feel so good eating this way. So normal, after WW and SBD and Adkins etc. So liberating. I'm losing slowly but I do even when I starve myself.
Marie
Marie
Why didn't I think of it?
It is So Simple. No S diet

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:40 pm

How are you doing Janie?

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:01 pm

Hey Janie,

Just wondered how you are doing. It seems like lots of folks have either kind of fallen off or slowed down on the posting-I certainly have. Winter is always hard for me. Still, and always, this is the only place to be for me.

How is the homeschooling going?

Resting

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:24 pm

You are all so sweet to check in with me! I'm doing fine....really I am. My sister from NC surprised me & drove up here to the frigid north for my birthday. We spent a week just hanging out together & it was delightful. I just am now getting back into the swing of life....and I decided that since I couldn't accomplish everything, that I would not feel guilty about taking a break from posting every day. I should have left you all a note....I left my "No S" friends just hanging in mid-air!

Homeschooling is fine....it's all-consuming at times & I definitely look forward to having it accomplished. Our oldest son graduates in June and heads to college...but since we still have a 3-year old I'll not be finished for awhile! It's all good though....and it's been great for our family.

Thanks again so much for checking in with me. I can't tell you how much it means....it's like having a cheering squad! And we all need that, don't we?

So...to check in....I'm doing okay....stable....determined to have more green days & less red days over the next few months. This is so good for me...and I'm winning this battle slowly. But winning slowly is a whole lot better than losing at any speed!

Yesterday was GREEN...today is YELLOW...we'll see how I do with freedom!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:37 pm

GREEN day yesterday. Why is this so tough sometimes? When I have a string of easy green days in a row I can't imagine NOT having more...but then something triggers my emotions and there I go struggling. Yesterday was pretty easy & very successful...and hopefully today will be too....it's just so amazingly hard sometimes...I just want to eat like a normal person....a normal HEALTHY person....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:37 pm

GREEN day yesterday. Yeah!!! I've so needed a solid week of green....it feels wonderful. I'm really trying to make going to the "Y" three times a week a priority lately. It's hard...too much to do & it's just a bit far away, but I'm trying...and mostly succeeding. I'm heading there today before grocery shopping so I need to be careful not to eat something stupid....I need to think, "GREEN, GREEN, GREEN!"

janie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:46 pm

Janie,
I look around at all the overweight and obese people and think that the best lesson I can give my kids is the No S Diet. I negatively impacted 35 years of my life with diets, and I hope to save my children from that experience! You can consider this a top homeschooling lesson! I struggle sometimes with keeping my N Days green, and I've just learned to let the kids know and my husband know because -- you know what? -- following this diet is my #1 priority.
Kathleen

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi Kathleen,

I agree! Giving our kids the tools to be healthy is essential...and this is a great way to do it. I suppose if I looked at my time at the "Y" more as a teaching tool and less as selfishness on my part, then I'd not feel so guilty putting that first instead of 542nd!

This whole plan is a great journey, isn't it? Take care Kathleen!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:07 pm

Oops...forgot to check in. I had a wonderfully GREEN day yesterday. I wrote about it in another thread... http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... 8&start=50

The bottom line is that I didn't have to resist temptation yesterday at the mega-huge, contains-every-food-selections-known-to-the Western-world kinda grocery store....there WASN'T any temptation! Not once did I say to myself, "You've already had lunch...no seconds", or "No, I will NOT buy a candy bar on the way out of the store", or "I really can't take that sample of cheesecake from the nice lady near the frozen foods section." Now, all those are fine thoughts of resistance & there's not a thing wrong with those thoughts...I NEED those on a regular basis. But yesterday none of them crossed my mind... at all... none... nada... not one! It was as if....gasp....I can't believe I'm saying this....food was a non-issue!!!!! It didn't even cross my mind....and I was in the middle an OCEAN of food. Usually I'm holding on to the lifeboat as if I'll be tossed overboard by the sight of creampuffs any moment. I just floated though the store...out to the car...back home...and after the groceries were in the cupboards & went to check this forum I realized that this was a moment to strike up the band. I'm not finished with this journey by any means. Today might be a day of struggles...but with every small victory I am more and more convinced that I'll win this war.

Enough rambling for one day. I'm off to make homemade granola, help my kids with homeschooling, and hopefully melt some glass. And it's going to be a green day!

janie

SavvyV

What a wonderful post!

Post by SavvyV » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:26 pm

It's so true that every day is a struggle. . .it's those little victories inside the struggles that keeps us sane!
Today might be a day of struggles...but with every small victory I am more and more convinced that I'll win this war!
You're doing great!
If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution. ~Author Unknown

You can't lose weight by talking about it. You have to keep your mouth shut. ~Author Unknown

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:50 pm

Janie,
My #1 priority is this diet, and my #2 priority is three times exercising per week. Somehow I can manage to fit it in when I put it that way. It is a lesson for the kids -- take care of your body. I never heard that lesson growing up.
Kathleen

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi SavvyV...You're right! Those victories are essential, aren't they! Hey...you're a New Yorker too...we might be neighbors! Thanks for popping in...

Kathleen...Nope, I certainly didn't hear this message growing up either...or I wouldn't have wasted so many years obsessing about food. I agree this is a great lifestyle to teach our kids...I feel as if I was given a gift when I started on this plan. Thanks for stopping by Kathleen!

I took Friday as a YELLOW day and Saturday as GREEN, as I often do. Today is The Big Game and I'm going to enjoy every potato skin and every pretzel I dip in the chocolate fountain! We don't have a big party for the game, but we always have my nephew & his wife over. It's great fun & I look forward to it for at least a month. So I'm off to the "Y" and then back home to get the food prep going. Today will be a great yellow day!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:46 pm

Yesterday was YELLOW, but I'm glad today is back to green....I still don't do very well on yellows...not sure why...but I'm not in an analyzing mood...I'm just going to work on today...and think about the "why"s another day....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:18 pm

GREEN yesterday...I'm not sure why I'm struggling so much lately...but every day I conquer the struggle is a good day. And yesterday was a good day. I was doing the dishes after dinner & realized that I'd made it through....what a relief! Usually Mondays are the hardest for me so hopefully today will be a piece of cake...sorry....couldn't avoid the intended pun.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:32 pm

I chalked up another GREEN day yesterday. It wasn't as difficult as Monday & that felt good. I think what trips me up the most is not losing weight as quickly as I would love to. BUT, after 48 years of bad eating habits (I'm convinced I was addicted to food by 3 months old), my expectations for being able to break all the physical & emotional habits tangled up in food are just not realistic. Don't get me wrong...I'm absolutely 100% in this to win this....I've seen myself change enough to know that this is the only way for me to break free of all this dieting garbage. I just think that I need to work on my triggers for falling off the wagon. And right now my main trigger is not being able to wear those jeans hanging on the back of my bathroom door. So I think I need to remove them from the bathroom door...and hang up a sign that reads, "You are not as addicted to food today as you were yesterday...and you will be even LESS addicted tomorrow." Or...maybe I should go with a phrase I heard over & over when learning to drive, "Just stay in your lane." Maybe that's the phrase I need....I need to keep in my lane...don't worry about the fast food coming up on the right, or the mental picture of my non-fitting jeans on the left...or the billboards claiming I could lose more weight faster on the diet of the day....or the exit ramp with a "This Way to Chocolate" sign. I need to stay in my lane today. I'm on a journey...I'm going to make today green....I'm staying the course....

janie

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:04 am

Janie,
Thanks for the encouragement on my daily check in. I can tell from your posts that we have had some common life experiences. I like your driving metaphor, "Just stay in your lane." I also like what someone else said about dog training and "crating their puppy." I think of that often. After a meal, I just have to "crate the puppy" until the next meal. Of course, it is the S days when the puppy is turned loose to play that I am also working on.
I think I noticed that you homeschooled. Our homeschooled daughter is now a senior in college (an honor student I might add). If you are at home with food opportunity all day, then NoS is really the best plan, isn't it? No decisions have to be made about how you are going to spend your points, calories, grams, etc. What a horrible way to spend a day (or a lifetime).
You are an encouragement because you have stayed with this for awhile. I see many new people on board, but not too many oldtimers. I will make this work because it is the first "plan" I have ever done that just makes so much sense and fits so well. As has been said before, maybe a person is just not ready for NoS until he/she has had many failures (maybe 12?)
Have a green ending to your week!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:55 pm

TexArk...thanks so much for popping in...I responded on your check-in...

Yesterday was GREEN again...and felt great. I almost ate something sweet after dinner, but stopped because I'm determined to have an all green & yellow month....no red...no slightly red but kinda orange...so magenta...all green...all yellow...period. I really struggled from Thanksgiving through 'til my birthday (Jan 15)...but I'm not going to this month. I'm here. I'm determined. I'm going to change...period.

Green...green...green....here I come....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:32 pm

Green...I love green....I never liked green before, but it's now my favorite color...followed closely by yellow.

I struggled & struggled from Christmas through the middle of January, but I'm so very thankful I didn't throw in the towel. I'm proud of myself for not giving up...and thrilled that since Jan 21st, I've had nothing but greens & yellow days. I think I'll celebrate today by going to the "Y" and swimming a 1/2 mile! I haven't gotten that far since college...but I'm going to accomplish it...today...tomorrow...who knows, but those 18 laps are mine!

janie

mama-g

Post by mama-g » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:13 pm

Your enthusiasm is contagious!!

Good for you. My 6 year old is in Kindergarten, and they have "traffic light system" for behaviour. She comes home everyday "I'm still on the green , Mum!"

Perhaps I should start reporting my green days to her to stay accountable!

How fun is that!! :wink:
~Starting Weight: knees hurt, clothes don't fit, kids think I'm still pregnant.
Ideal Weight: I feel good! Clothes fit.... about 20 lbs lighter than I am now~

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:02 pm

Hey Janie,

Did you get your laps? Your post makes me want to get back in the pool myself.

Congrats on the greens and yellows!

Resting