HowFunIsThat - daily chek-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

howfunisthat

HowFunIsThat - daily chek-in

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:16 pm

Okay...here I am...I've accomplished 21 days of this plan so it's about time I put some words together & make myself accountable to check in on a daily/weekly basis. THIS, however, scares me. Why? Because to actually commit myself to check-in on a regular basis means that I am starting to believe that I'm going to (she shudders) succeed. I've tried & failed at so many "diets" that I can't count them....wouldn't WANT to count them....it's such a long line of failures...and I think I'm afraid that if I fail at this too I'll never really be healthy.

Sigh....I'm 48....I have three teen boys and one three-year old so I have to succeed...I have to work on being as healthy as I can be.

So here I am....I've had 21 great days in a row....so I get to write,

SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS
SUCCESS

Tomorrow I hope to add another "SUCCESS" to the batch.
Last edited by howfunisthat on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:06 pm

Wow!!! 21 days is no easy task!!!
For me it took a whole year of attempts to finally do that right.
Congratulations!
Good luck with your goals and just be nice to yourself along the way :)

Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:43 am

Deb,

Thanks so much for writing! I know there aren't many people out there, but knowing someone read & responded is very encouraging.

Being nice to myself is something I don't do very well, so I appreciate the reminder....I'm so much nicer to my family than I am to me....but that's probably a pondering for another thread!

Anyway...thanks very much for taking the time to write. I appreciate it very much.

janie
Last edited by howfunisthat on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:53 am

Oops....I never did my check-in....

I had another SUCCESS yesterday. It was so odd...I went to buy a sub for friend having medical tests and wasn't hungry so I didn't eat then. WHAT? Then, she wanted some soup too so I got some at Panera to go...and I didn't get anything. Double WHAT? THEN...I went grocery shopping...and finally bought some Chinese food for dinner. But here's the amazing thing...I only bought about 1/2 lb...half a plate full....and I was fine. Something strange is happening, that's for sure. I'm usually a "Eat everything fun & tasty while you're out" kind of persons so, needless to say, yesterday was an encouraging day.

Today is Saturday and we're attending a family reunion-type picnic. But I'm not scared today. I'll have dessert and enjoy every bite. I'll be cautious...and I'll try to think before I open my mouth...but I'm not scared...and that feels good. I'm sure I'll be scared again...I'm not ignorant of the fact that I won't cycle into binging again in the future...but I have to decide that today will be a success before I even walk into the picnic. So....I'll be back and I'll have a yellow day....and yellow is a success in my book.

janie
Last edited by howfunisthat on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:50 pm

The family picnic was fun...and successful...I ate a plate of food, a piece of cake, and a cookie for lunch....hard boiled egg & plum for breakfast, and about 5 spoonfulls of broccoli salad for dinner. I'm definitely calling this a successful yellow day. It was absolutely delightful to enjoy the picnic without being an idiot about food. I came home without feeling that awful, "I am a food addict" feeling.

I'm planning a green success day today, even if it is Sunday. I know I'll struggle with this in the not-so-distant future, but I'm thrilled with where I am today.

Just accomplish today....if I can accomplish three weeks, I can handle one more day....

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:47 pm

Hi howfunisthat - love your screen name btw!

Sounds like you are doing great so far. I hope continued success for you!

Reinhard suggests that S days be S days so don't worry about making your Sunday's green days. Sounds like you had a great time at the picnic and ate so well! Allow yourself the weekends to splurge a little - you work hard all week and deserve the lack of guilt from eating on S days.

Best,
Melissa

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:31 pm

Mel...thanks so much for your post. And I'll take your advice to heart. Being good to myself is NOT my strength so it's definitely a good reminder to be kinder to me on the weekends. I appreciate you taking time to write.

My screen name is also my business name...I melt glass & make glass beads to sell to jewelry makers...and often I just can't help but look at beads & say, "How fun is THAT!"

So...my check-in. I had a great day yesterday...ate some yummy food, but didn't struggle with doing what I was supposed to do. All & all it was a satisfying day. I'm still scared on a daily basis though...and the only that seems to help is trying to remind myself that I only have to think about today...not tomorrow...not three months from now. Just today....only today. So...I'm going to eat for health today....and I'll think about tomorrow tomorrow.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:05 pm

Yesterday was another SUCCESS day. It was not an easy one...but definitely a success. I ate my three reasonable meals...no snacks...no sweets. I'm finding that having some raisins with my lunch really helps my sweet tooth. I don't crave anything sweet after dinner, but for some reason since I started this I always want something sweet at lunch.

So I succeeded yesterday even though I was continually tempted to emotionally eat....and if I got through yesterday, I can get through today. I'll think about the rest of the week when it rolls around. Today is the challenge for today....

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:36 pm

Another SUCCESS day yesterday. Just a few more days & I'll have 4 weeks accomplished. Right now four weeks is my goal. No...that's not true...getting through today as another green day is my goal...I'll think about anything after today when it gets here...

Off & running...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:57 am

Man...yesterday was difficult. I wanted to snack...I wanted to eat ice cream....I wanted more dinner last night. I succeeded though and I'm ready to start another day. If I can just make it through three more days I'll have four weeks accomplished...and that sounds wonderful to me....four weeks of healthy eating....a great start IMO...

So....I'm off to add another green SUCCESS day on my calendar.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:45 pm

Another SUCCESS on my calendar. I'm beginning to believe that the "S" days are more difficult than the "Non-S" days. Today, even though it's Friday, is my chosen "S" day for this week. We are having dinner with friends & I'm assigned task of bringing dessert. Dinner will be wonderful & hopefully dessert will be good too...so instead of being legalistic about the whole thing, I'm just moving my "S" day to today and aiming for a "Non-S" day tomorrow. I think the structure of what not to do is easier right now & I think my fear is that I'll be an idiot about today & then have a hard time going back to the strickness of No-S-ing. It helps to write out my fear though...and realize that I only have one task today...to have a yellow day and not be an idiot about it. I'll think about tomorrow after I accomplish today.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:42 pm

We had dinner with friends last night & I had a great evening...and a great eating day! I considered it an "S" day instead of today (Sat) so that I could eat dessert without guilt. Today will be my substitute "Non S" day. I had a small slice of gingerbread cake and one cookie...no snacks...no seconds. And you know what the best part was? I didn't WANT anything else....THAT was amazing. I'll off to edit my calendar...

janie

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:15 pm

Good for you!

It is normal for S-days to be more difficult at first. Well, "common" anyway. I had tremendous trouble with them for a very long time, because old bad habits surfaced on S-days.

With time and patience, they got better. So, don't worry if yours do get a little out of control.

Though it sounds as if you're doing very well right now, and don't need that advice! Congrats!

One of the most wonderful things about No-S to me is that it gives me permission to actually enjoy food. That's a welcome change. :)

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:18 pm

KCCC...thanks so much for writing. It's always so encouraging to get advice...I take all of it to heart! Today is an emotional day (long story) so I'm a bit scared of being an idiot...but so far so good. It helps so much to know that I've committed myself to check in every day & keep my calendar up to date. I just need to make it through today...just today....only today....that means just 10 more hours....if I can make it through today, I can make it through tomorrow....

Thanks again KCCC!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:11 pm

I made it to 28 days! If I made it through 28 days, I can make it through 29....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:51 pm

I DID make it through 29 days! We went to our favorite diner-type place next to Lake Ontario for dinner & I wasn't an idiot. AND we took the kids for ice cream...and I wasn't an idiot. I love not being an idiot. All in all, it was an easy & idiotless Yellow day.

I'm finding that Yellow days are more stressful for me than Green ones. I'm so very afraid of eating too much on yellow days and not reverting back to green that I'm not sure I'm even enjoying the yellow extras as I should. But at the same time, I really shouldn't overthink the whole thing. Today is supposed to be GREEN. I am aiming for GREEN. I WILL make it green. If I can have 29 successful days, I can have 30...

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:51 am

Another GREEN day and I'm relieved I got through that one! I went school shopping with one of my sons & REALLY wanted to stop for a treat with him after shopping. But I didn't and that's a victory for me. Today is...um...Day....let me think...Day 30!

If I can make it through 30 days, I can make it through 31 days....and I will...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:32 pm

Dealing with some heavy emotional issues today & I'm scared again. I could just sink into a bowl of ice cream for breakfast....then eat my way through the day. No, I'm not going to actually DO that, but I've done that before. I'm very thankful I'm on Day 32....if I was on Day 2, I'd probably lose heart & eat mounds of yuck today. What I have to do today is continually remind myself of how awful I used to feel at the end of a day of bad eating....it didn't solve anything....didn't make me actually feel better....just worse. So...I'm off to tackle Day 32. If I can make it through Day 31, I can make it through Day 32....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:05 pm

I made it! It was one of my most difficult days yet....but it was green and a SUCCESS and that feels good....

If I can have a green Day 32....then I can have a green Day 33...

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:02 pm

Janie, you are doing so great! Congrats on your success yesterday!!

And thanks for your well wishes. I think the stress of planning the wedding may help me drop a few lbs! I am sure it will all work out in the end.

Continued success to you!!
Melissa

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:23 pm

Melissa....Same to you! I just read your 6.2 lb weight loss...way to go!!!

Today is Day 34...and since Fridays & Sundays are my two "S" days per week, unless I behave like an idiot, I'll have another green day for my calendar!

Yesterday wasn't too hard, except when I was grocery shopping at 5:30 & really hungry! I made it though....we didn't eat dinner until 7:00 and we were all pretty hungry, but I ate my one relatively small plate of food & felt great. It's getting easier & easier to coast through the evenings after dinner without thinking about food. I work in my basement studio until about 11:00 and since I can't eat while I'm working (too much crunched glass on my tables) and I'm just plain bushed when I finish, the nights are relatively easy. AFTERNOONS, however, are difficult....but I'm succeeding & I can't complain...

Off to edit my calendar!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:07 pm

Yesterday turned out to be a green day instead of yellow. I was planning to have dessert as we get together with two other families every friday night...hence the yellow day instead of a green day. But when we got to dessert I wasn't hungry and dessert just didn't seem worth it. THIS was an amazing moment! So today is my 35th day....five weeks! As long as I'm not an idiot today then I'll have 5 weeks with just green & yellow days....a great accomlishment for me....

Off to start Day 35....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:25 pm

Day 35 was GREEN. It felt wonderful to accomplish 5 weeks without a red day...

My next goal is making it to 42 days....no...actually my next goal is making it through today....I want another GREEN day to add to the calendar...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:55 am

I was planning on having a yellow day yesterday, but nothing seemed worth eating enough to depart from a no-S day. This is entirely weird...to be looking at food and not wanting to indulge. I think this scares me more than struggling....'cause at this point it seems too good to be true. The thought that this could actually be the answer to my life-long struggle with food is more than I can believe right now.....so I'll not think about it. I accomplished Day 36....now I'll work on Day 37....I can do one more day...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:37 pm

Yesterday was a "Rubbers meets the road" day for me. I was emotionally ready to throw in the towel and give up. Why? I've been doing fine with few difficulties. But this happens whenever I diet. I spend a few weeks doing well...my clothes start fitting better...and I sabotage myself emotionally. I start telling myself that I'll fail in the end...that this is great but will never work long-term...that I'm not ever going to be healthy....you name it and I've said it to myself. Yesterday was my only Yellow day all weekend....and today is another day. It has to be green...and I have to get a handle on this "You'll only just fail later" attitude. I've probably self-defeating thing 100 times...but this is my best opportunity to break that horrible track record.

janie

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:05 pm

howfunisthat wrote:Yesterday was a "Rubbers meets the road" day for me. I was emotionally ready to throw in the towel and give up. Why? I've been doing fine with few difficulties. But this happens whenever I diet. I spend a few weeks doing well...my clothes start fitting better...and I sabotage myself emotionally. I start telling myself that I'll fail in the end...that this is great but will never work long-term...that I'm not ever going to be healthy....you name it and I've said it to myself. Yesterday was my only Yellow day all weekend....and today is another day. It has to be green...and I have to get a handle on this "You'll only just fail later" attitude. I've probably self-defeating thing 100 times...but this is my best opportunity to break that horrible track record.

janie
I get into self-sabbotage mode myself, so I completely understand!! Hang in there and don't let anything stand in your way. I read once that when you do something like eating a piece of cake, you're letting yourself get in the way of your goal. I kind of like that way of thinking. So just keep that in mind and keep going! And if you make mistakes, there's always tomorrow :) And you've done 30+ habit days on a row -- that's GREAT!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:56 am

Nicole...

Thanks so much for your response. It's always encouraging to know someone is there cheering you on.

I don't know why I do the self-sabbotage thing...it's such garbage! I try to be a good encourager to other people...or so I'm told...and I'd never say to others what I say to myself. That self-talk thing is such a pain! I survived yesterday though....and so I'll add another GREEN day on my calendar. Today's strategy is not to think about whether it's going to work long-term or not. I'll eat well today....just today....

janie
Last edited by howfunisthat on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:15 pm

Day 39! SUCCESS

Today is Day 40 and I'm almost to my second goal...making it to Day 42. Yesterday was....well...pretty easy. I did errands late in the day and they dragged on forever. I bought DD something to munch on and I didn't eat a bite. I was very hungry by the time I got the kids all home (7:15pm), but I didn't fall apart...and that was priceless. This feeling of me controlling food instead of food controlling me is amazing....still very scary...but amazing. I'm trying to not look ahead but succeed every day...just one more day....one more green day...

janie

Joelle

Post by Joelle » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:07 pm

Janie,

You are doing GREAT! Isn't it amazing how much incentive checking off a green day can provide? I love your "I did it yesterday, I can do it today" way of thinking. I wish you continued success and green days ahead.

Joelle

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:26 am

Joelle....thanks for the encouragement...Yup, having that calendar is wonderful. I look at it every morning and get energized looking at the green & yellow pile up. Sometimes I end up not eating something because I just plain want another green mark! It sounds silly on paper, but it's an amazing motivator!

Thanks again...janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:33 am

Yeah!!! Another GREEN day for the calendar. Two more days & I'll be at the "twice 21-day" goal. It seems that the snacking cravings have greatly diminished and now my biggest difficulty is my own thinking patterns. When I think about just today and getting another green day, then I'm fine...when I stop focusing on just today, I start to fall apart & find the day to be very difficult. I wouldn't tolerate my kids saying, "I'll never be successful", or "I know I'll fail". I'd jump right in there & be there cheerleader. I need to be my OWN cheerleader...and that feels very foreign. But I'm gonna work on it....

janie

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:50 pm

Sometimes I end up not eating something because I just plain want another green mark! It sounds silly on paper, but it's an amazing motivator!
howfunisthat,

I find those little green marks on Habitcal amazingly motivating as well! :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:34 pm

Blueskighs....Maybe I need to start a Habitcal to keep my house clean...I DEFINITELY need the motivation there! Ha!!!

Another GREEN day yesterday and since today is Day 42 and it's designated a yellow day anyway, I'm fairly confident I'll make it to my goal of 42 days. I'll need a new goal tomorrow...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:30 pm

Day 42! I'm thrilled that I made it to my next goal....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:25 am

Yesterday was an odd but wonderful day. It was an "S" day...the only one I was treating as an "S" day for the weekend. I ate breakfast at 10:00...we had friends over for lunch after church and I made chicken enchiladas (a personal fav), but I opted for just one...no seconds. I had dessert 'cause it would have been rude not to have any (really, it's true this time!). We had eaten late so we didn't think about dinner until about 7:30. The kids ate...I had 5 Wheat Thins with pb...and stopped eating because a snack was enough for dinner. Did you hear me? I said I STOPPED EATING....as in....didn't eat anything more last night. I'm still shaking my head over that one.

So...today is Day 44....my next goal is to be green until Day 49...I'm not sure if I've ever accomplished seven weeks of healthy eating in a row! But I'm determined to do so now...

Janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:09 pm

Another GREEN day yesterday....

Off to work on Day 45...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:56 am

Day 45 is a GREEN day of the past. I had no eating problems even though I went out to lunch with my cousin for her birthday. No appetizer, no cake, no ice cream on the way back home. Dinner was enough...and I had no cravings for more. It was one of the easiest days yet.

This morning I put on slacks I haven't worn in quite awhile and realized that I'm beginning to believe not only can I eat this way for life, but I really think the pounds will eventually come off and I'll be at a healthy weight. I'm having a hard time believing I'm even saying that, but I am. I'm losing weight...don't know how much since I don't weigh myself...but I'm far less stressed about how long it takes. And I believe the reason is that I can eat this way indefinitely. Other diets are just such torture that the weight has to come off before I get disillusioned with that plan. And that came faster & faster each time I tried something new. I can eat this way for the rest of my life...and that feels incredible.

Off to work on another GREEN day...janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:28 am

Another GREEN to add to my calendar. Very encouraged yesterday & today....feeling good...feeling strong enough to stick with the plan today. I'll worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:20 am

GREEN yesterday even though I was tempted to just give up and give in to those thoughts that plague me...the ones that tell me that I'll never succeed anyway...and that I'm a total failure...and that it doesn't matter because eventually I will gain it back. Well...I've heard those thoughts since I was 5...since my family told them to me...since I claimed them as my own...and I'm sick of them. I need to "take every thought captive" and change these thoughts into "I can"s.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:25 pm

Today is Day 49....seven weeks of green & yellow days. You'd think I'd be okay today...but I'm insecure...feeling scared that I'll give up. But what would I be giving up? I can already eat wonderful food three times a day....I can eat dessert on the weekends...I'm getting healthier...I'm wearing clothes I haven't worn in a very long time....what would giving up do? I'd be miserable....so I'll accomplish today and worry about tomorrow tomorrow...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:36 am

I can add another GREEN to the list. I'm now moving on to my next goal....to make it through another week....that would bring me to 8 weeks.

Right now I'm going to work on Day 50....janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:31 pm

Yesterday was Yellow. It wasn't a fun Yellow though as I didn't eat as well as I've been eating. I wasn't an idiot...wasn't out of control...but I didn't like what I snacked on....and I missed the strickness of not snacking. I'm actually very happy to be working on another green day today.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:36 am

Another GREEN yesterday, but it wasn't easy. I took my daughter to McDonald's and had a salad...and didn't eat one fry even though she only wanted her chicken. We threw them out and I didn't dive into the trashcan to retrieve them. I was proud of myself...and that rarely happens...

Off to start another potentially GREEN day.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:15 am

GREEN yesterday. The green days are getting easier. The most difficult times for me are between about 4:00 and dinner...but even those moments are getting easier. We plan to join the "Y" this week & I'm thrilled. We really can't afford it, but we can't afford NOT to do it.

Off to accomplish today...janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:08 am

I love the color GREEN. I think it's my favorite color ever. I think I'm going to buy a green coat...a green bag...a green pair of shoes....I now love green.

I'm going on vacation with my sisters & my little girl in about a week. And it scares me. I don't quite know what to do....or how many
YELLOWS I can legally have. I've been taking an average of one a week for awhile so I'm kinda hoping I eat to have just four YELLOWS and three GREEN (one weekend & two extra greens). I'm trying not to be paniced about it. (Is that how you spell "paniced"?...it looks wrong.) I'm taking my No S book with me to read again & remind me of all the things I need to keep in my brain. Sigh....I have another week to keep GREEN before I leave so I'll worry about the vacation later.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:01 am

I had a wonderful day yesterday. I wore a favorite shirt I couldn't button 8 weeks ago! I'm not weighing myself (scales are evil) so how my clothes fit is my weight-loss indicator. I tried it on to see if it was closer to fitting & it fit! It didn't sorta fit or fit enough to wear it but keep adjusting it all day...IT FIT! I immediately ran to my closet & pulled out other unfitting blouses to make sure the first one hadn't stretched on the hanger just to fool me. But it was true...my wardrobe has just expanded and I've started to shrink. To say the day was encouraging seems to be an understatement...

janie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:26 pm

That's wonderful! I also am not weighing myself. I don't think it's evil. I just think that it tends to provide information which leads to your making a different decision, like to try something other than the No S Diet. It's much more meaningful to fit into clothes that were too tight for you to wear!
Kathleen

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:44 pm

Kathleen wrote:That's wonderful! I also am not weighing myself. I don't think it's evil. I just think that it tends to provide information which leads to your making a different decision, like to try something other than the No S Diet. It's much more meaningful to fit into clothes that were too tight for you to wear!
Kathleen
That's exactly what it is! The scales usually discourage me and that discouragement usually leads me to eating....which end up in more dicouragement...ugh...what a cycle!

Thanks for the encouragement...I appreciate it more than I can tell you...

I'll check in on your thread later today...janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:49 am

Yesterday was a YELLOW for me as we had dinner with friends....dessert was yummy! I ate too much of it though....but it was still a solid yellow day. Today, being Saturday, will be a green day since I moved my yellow to Friday. As much as I do like dessert, I really am beginning to like Green days better. There's just too much freedom on yellow days & it makes me really uncomfortable...as if I'm scared I'll never return to green days again. Oh well...I'm definitely not into pondering this morning. My brain isn't even awake yet.

Off & running...janie

Joelle

Post by Joelle » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:45 am

Good for you, Incredible Shrinking Janie! The only thing more fun than new clothes is reclaiming the clothes that used to fit! :D

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:54 am

Joelle,

Thanks so much for your note! It's so encouraging to know someone is out there cheering ya on! I am pretty optimistic at this point...this has been easier than any other diet I've ever tried...and since the first time a dr. told me to lose weight was at age 5, I've had 43 years to try quite a variety of them! This freedom from dieting and just learning to eat like a normally thin person seems almost too good to be true. But as every day goes by I believe more & more that it really can be accomplished. I'm sure I'll struggle....but the longer I do this, I'm hopeful I'll be smart enough to just start over & let this plan do what it's designed to do....teach me to control my food instead of food controling me.

My...all I intended to do was thank you for writing and I blabbed on and on... :lol: So I'll end here & finally say..."Thank you for writing, Joelle!"

Have a nice evening...janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:15 am

I finished Week 8! And what a great day to end it on! I signed our family up to be members again at the "Y" and since I hadn't had lunch at 3:30pm I picked up my son from his grocery store job & we stopped at McDonalds. I had a grilled snack wrap & I had about 6 of his fries...and felt full! I am continuing to feel amazement at this change in my life. I wrote before that I was beginning to feel as if I was more in control of my food instead of the food controling me...and that's absolutely true, but now I'm even experiencing something more on some days....as if food doesn't matter! WHAT? That can't be! Is that how naturally healthy people see food? As if it's to be enjoyed, but isn't very significant? I want to be at a place where I forget to eat or I start a meal and forget to finish the plate if I start chatting. Wouldn't that me AMAZING?

Off to start another day....
janie

Deedee

Post by Deedee » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:48 pm

I've just came across your posts and have read them all. You are an inspiration! I love your positive attitude and the success you are finding with this WOE!

I am so close to you in years (47 years old - with a seven year old son) and am also loving the plan. It seems to make a lot of sense to those of us who have been around the diet block a time or dozen!

I am on day 28 and have loving the freedom. It's wonderful to view food in an entirely different way. Like you, I also refuse to step on the scale - I know everything I need to know from my clothes -

Just wanted to congratulate you on your journey!
D

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:21 am

DeeDee....

Thanks so much for stopping by! It's always encouraging to know your words are read & that others understand the journey.

I have four kids...three boys, 17,14 & 13 and a 3-yr old girl. They are my life & I'm so thankful for them.

Being on Day 28 is great! The whole plan started to get easier for me around that time. I'm still having a hard time believing that I'm not craving sweets or snacks or even seconds anymore during the week. And the weekends boggle me the most...I know I have the freedom to eat more, but I'm finding myself content at least one of the "S" days without extras. It's as if I'm not trying to diet a lot of the time...I'm just learning to eat like a naturally healthy person...what a concept!!!

Thanks again for your kind words...janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:25 am

Oops...I forgot to actually check in. I had one YELLOW day this weekend and the other was GREEN. The strangest thing to me is that I haven't been craving anything extra lately. I didn't even think about snacking yesterday....or having anything sweet, even though I made chocolate chip cookies. And by the time dinner was ready (almost 7:00), I enjoyed it, but didn't want to take seconds & end up with a yellow day. I rather enjoy adding those green days....

Off to work on Day 58...

janie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:54 pm

It's so great to look at your blog and see what is likely to be in my future!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:29 pm

You'll be writing strange things like, "I just didn't feel like eating", or "I saw the dessert, but wanted another Green day more than cake." Believe me, this is the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me. It's as if an alien took over for me. Now...I'm not so foolish to think that I'll never struggle again...that would be dangerous thinking...but I do know that this is the answer and I hope when I DO struggle that I remember how delightful this feels.

You're doing great Kathleen....you'll have another week accomplished before you know it!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:26 am

Tuesday....Day 59. Yesterday was a bit hard toward the end of the day. I had to make myself think only of one day at a time. But that day is done, and it was a solid GREEN so it's on to the next one. Today will be green too....it has to be...the alternative is red and I don't want to mess up my calendar :lol: ...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:07 pm

Yesterday was unexpectedly difficult. I know I would have just given up & eaten snacks if I didn't know that it would have resulted in a red mark on my calendar. I go through times of wanting intant gratification. I want to be thin TODAY....NOW....and not have to wait until the pounds melt off. And yesterday I wanted convinced there was any melting going on at all! I found a pair of shorts I bought eons ago & they were so little...but I remember feeling fat in them....and that would have been completely illogical....but the feeling was the same as if I was the weight I am now. I think I started down the slope of "I'll never conquer this" as soon as I pulled those shorts off that long-forgotten pile I started drifting into "I'll never succeed." Sigh....thankfully I had a solid Green day even though my emotions were in a tumble. I'm just staying the course....just keep taking one day at a time.

Off to have a better day...janie

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:05 pm

thankfully I had a solid Green day even though my emotions were in a tumble
janie,

I like to think of days as you described as building "deeper grooves" in my habit structure!

YAY YOU!

Blueskighs

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:46 pm

Blueskighs,

Thanks so much for your comment....I love that...."building deeper grooves!"

Today, I'm doing much better emotionally. I'm heading for vacation tomorrow with my sisters & that makes me a bit uneasy, but I'm going to take one day at a time & try not to get discouraged.

Off to conquer Day something or other....I think it's Day 61...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:44 am

Today is Day 62...one more day and I'll have 9 weeks on this plan. And not on ly nine weeks, but nine weeks of learning about myself. Of any diet I've ever tried, I've never learned so much about my food-triggers & my emotional eating. AND, even better, I think I'm learning what to DO with my emotional eating....not eat. LOL! I've been an emotional eater all my life, but there's really no option for that here...eating is to be enjoyed at a meal and emotions are to be dealt with as they should be....without smothering them in food. I have a long way to go...but I love seeing the glimmers of hope that present themselves.

I'm off for a week of vacation with my sisters & daughter today. I'm a bit nervous...I've planned to have 4 yellow days, but that still gives me 3 days that should be green. I have to take each day as it comes & conquer them one at a time. Even if I mess up & end up coming home with a few red days, I'll be right back here to start again when the vacation is over. This is the way I want to eat for the rest of my life.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:48 pm

I'm back from Vermont, rested & ready to start up again. I had a couple of RED days, but we stayed far too close to the Ben & Jerry's factory to sneak those days on the calendar as GREEN! But ya know what? I feel completely fine with a couple of REDS. I felt the freedom to enjoy being on vacation and know that when I got back I'd be starting right back on this plan. I'm ready to hit this hard...Phase II is about to begin...at least in my brain. We joined the "Y" and I've had my fill of Ben & Jerry's....so I'm back on track....and that feels great.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:41 pm

Yesterday was an easy GREEN day for me...and it feels wonderful to come back from a vacation and be encouraged about this "diet" instead of depressed that I ate more than I usually do. It was a great vacation & I'm excited about being able to come home & jump right back in.

Off to work on another Green day!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:30 pm

Another GREEN day yesterday...I've lost track of what day I'm on, but it doesn't matter...I'm just working on adding another green for today...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:04 pm

Day 71 was another GREEN, and I'm thankful to be back on track after vacation. As much as I enjoyed Ben & Jerry's and the pizza buffet, I'm still much more comforatable with the rules of the "Non-S" day.

Off to work on Day 72....

janie

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:01 pm

janie,

Me too!
sometimes i am just really relieved for the "life raft" of those N days ...

Blueskighs

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:17 pm

Hi Janie,

Thanks for checking on me. I am doing well. No more FAILURE days since that 1 last month. I have been eating a lot of sweets on my S-Days but nothing outrageous. I have had some evenings when it has been really tempting to eat a cookie or something after dinner, but I have resisted and stuck to my 3 meals.

I have lost only 5lbs since starting this in June. It is a little frustrating if I let the number control me. But when I put on clothes, and they fit MUCH BETTER, I know that the sacrifices during the week are making a difference. I would love to see it on the scale though.

How are you doing?
melissa

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:57 pm

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for your note. I'm glad to know you're doing well. I absolutely understand about wanting the scales to reflect more loss...but feeling better is certainly the best indicator of what's really going on.

I'm fine...I had a lovely week with my two sisters & little girl. It felt wonderful to enjoy vacation food and know that I didn't have to panic when I ate more than usual. I knew this plan was just waiting for me to start up again. I'm just not nearly as anxious about how quickly or slowly I loose weight because I can do this the rest of my life. Whenever I'd blow it with other diets I would get so discouraged because I just didn't think I could sustain that kind of deprived eating for long so the weight HAD to come off quickly or I'd quickly slide back to my old habits. I'm so grateful for this plan...I'm beginning feel as if food is to be enjoyed, but it's certainly not controlling me any more! What an amazing feeling!!!

Sorry...didn't mean to blab on & on... :lol:

I do appreciate you taking the time to write...I'm glad you're doing well...even though the scale isn't going down as fast as you'd like, just think of how much healthier you are at this moment, than if you hadn't done this. I think you're doing great!

Thanks again...janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:21 pm

Blueskighs...."Life Raft" is a great name for those No S days!

Yesterday was GREEN again & I'm encouraged at every green mark that goes on my calendar. I just keep telling myself this whole adventure is only one day at a time...

Day 73, here I come...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:30 pm

Had a great day yesterday. I went to the "Y" and also had a solid GREEN day. I woke with my stomach growling...and I love that sound. It reminds me that I'm eating less food...and that I'm on track for someday wearing those old jeans in the back of my closet.

On to Day 74...

janie

Floridagirl

Post by Floridagirl » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:19 pm

Hey there. My third green day!!! I am so proud of you. Keep up the good work. See ya soon

Love ya""" Your SIS :lol:

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi Sue!

You're doing great....three days of GREEN is three days closer to your goal!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:03 pm

A GREEN day yesterday...and I even took two of our kids to McDonalds! I decided on a chicken salad, enjoyed my chicken salad, and tossed a child's order of unwanted fries...and I didn't climb back into the trashcan to retrieve them! THIS is way too weird.

GREEN is now my favorite color...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:32 am

Yesterday was harder than usual, but not impossible. I REALLY wanted to snack....I didn't feel like giving up, but was tempted by that voice that says, "Hey...you're doing well...one snack isn't gonna hurt!". But I know what would happen....it would have been a swift, unthinking descent into snackhood...then I'd have to climb back out of the pit of food and despair. Yuck....I don't want to go there. So...yesterday was GREEN and I'm going to attack today as if this is war.

janie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:09 pm

My husband calls it a "feeding frenzy." When I saw a movie on sharks at the zoo, I thought he had described it accurately! Congratulations on avoiding a feeding frenzy on an N Day!
Kathleen

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:44 pm

Kathleen wrote:My husband calls it a "feeding frenzy." When I saw a movie on sharks at the zoo, I thought he had described it accurately! Congratulations on avoiding a feeding frenzy on an N Day!
Kathleen
Perfect description!!!

Thanks Kathleen.....janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:05 pm

Today is Day 77....10 weeks!!!! I've had 2 reds and all the rest are lovely shades of Green and Yellow. To say that I'm encouraged is an understatement. I feel as if I've discovered gold. I'm eating well....I'm losing enough weight that I can wear clothes I've always longed to wear again...I feel more emotionally stable since I'm eating minute amounts of sugar & processed foods....I'm not in a hurry to get the rest of my weight off as I was when I was trying complicated & painful diets...and I'm absolutely convinced that I'm working on being healthy for the rest of my life.

Okay...that's a bit mushy, but it's my check-in so I can mush as much as I want to. I know there are struggles ahead, but the more successful days I rack up, the easier those days will be conquered.

Off to make Day 77 YELLOW!!!

janie

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:59 pm

....I'm not in a hurry to get the rest of my weight off as I was when I was trying complicated & painful diets...and I'm absolutely convinced that I'm working on being healthy for the rest of my life.
YAY!

Janie,

I actually found the slower weight loss worked well for me, since one of my triggers (there are so many :D ) for binging is people "noticing" and "commenting" on any weight loss, with slow weight loss, you may see that "look in their eyes" but they often don't SAY anything, which i honestly I prefer!

and i am totally with you on just "working on being healthy for the rest of my life",

Blueskighs

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:10 pm

Hi Blueskighs...

Thanks for your note...it's always encouraging knowing there are cheerleaders in my corner!

Healthy for life...what a concept! I had my last baby three years ago...at 45...and I want to be healthy for her. I can't stand the thought of not being able to play with her as I want to. I want health...for a long time...

Yesterday was YELLOW. I think I like green days better though. I'm still more comfortable with the rules on green days. I still feel scared of sliding into an eating black hole....ick.

So...I'm heading to the "Y" with my boys in awhile...and I'm going to conquer today as if it's a war I just can't lose....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:41 pm

I did not enjoy my yellow day on Saturday. I should have...but I didn't. I'm still having a hard time with the freedom of yellows. I'm much more content on Non-S days and feel a sense of relief when I'm done with a yellow. I wasn't in the mindset to ponder it yesterday (Sunday) so I just took one yellow this weekend & made yesterday green. I don't have time to think about it today...so I'm going to have another green day today...and a "Y" day....I'll think about tomorrow, tomorrow....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:41 am

Day 79 was [color=green[GREEN/color].

I think I need a new goal. I want to stay on-track until Thanksgiving, but that's too far away for my next goal....so I need a new one. Hmmm.....Today is Day 80...I think I'll make my next goal to be green & yellow until Day 90....that works....if I can accomplish today I can make it 9 more...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:47 am

Day 81 was GREEN, but just barely. I got back from the "Y" and really wanted to start grazing. But if I can make yesterday green, I can make today green....so off I go...

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:09 am

Another GREEN to add to the pile. Phew....some days I just have to decide NOT to think about how fast or slow this is happening...I just have to get the job done. Yesterday was green....and I'm going to make today green too....just today....I'm aiming for just today...

janie

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:51 am

I like the idea of a pile of green days. I can so visualize it..........all those little habitcal squares making a green mountain!!!

You Go!

Resting

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:09 am

Yesterday was another GREEN...and I went to the "Y" too....1/2 hour on the stationary bike and 1/4 mile of swimming the backstroke. Maybe there should be another color that signifies the addition of excersise...uber-green...extra-green...neon-green....lol

One more day & I get a weekend to enjoy. Our middle son is turning 15 and I'll have to have dessert....wouldn't want to offend him...ha!

Green day # 83 here I come....

janie

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:57 pm

One more day & I get a weekend to enjoy.
janie,

that is exactly where I am at, ONE MORE DAY AND I GET A WEEKEND TO ENJOY! I can't wait until my 1st caramel macchiato ... probably about 24 hours away :D and I have a nice stash of Godiva chocolates to indulge in ... oy ... what a nut job I am, SO GLAD for the NO S Diet,

Day 83 ... YOU ARE DOING FANTASTIC!

Have a WONDERFULLY HAPPY BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION with your boy!

Blueskighs

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi Blueskighs....thanks for your message...you're always so encouragin!!!

GREEN yesterday, although it was not an easy day. I REALLY wanted to just throw the day out the window and eat anything in front of me. Why? Because I started to look ahead instead of look at just the day again. I wanted to see more results quicker instead of focusing on the day at hand. It trips me up every time. BUT....it was a solid green day and I'm thankful.

I'm off to the "Y" this morning....then breakfast out with my family for a birthday.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:52 pm

I missed a few days of posting...but I'm still on track. Yesterday was GREEN after two yellows. I'm planning on green for this week....

Green day here I come...

janie

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:36 pm

Good to hear from you Janie!

Blueskighs

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:45 am

Hi Blueskighs! Always nice to hear from you...

GREEN yesterday even though I was out & about....I ate at the grocery store gourmet cafe...soup & an apple...and loved every bite.

I've lost track of what day I'm on, but it doesn't matter...I'm in this for the long-haul so whatever the number is, I'm determined to make it green....

janie

Burgher

Post by Burgher » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:58 pm

Janie, Thanks for checking in on me. I so enjoy reading your postings because you struggle and you succeed so you make me feel as though I can do this too.
Marie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

I missed a day to check in....and that's unusual. I had an unexpected YELLOW day on Wednesday...and considered it yellow because sick days start with "S"...and so does strep! Yikes! I don't think I have strep, like my son, but I felt yucky & snacked a bit. So...it was yellow and yesterday was back to a solid GREEN...this journey sure isn't easy, but if this was easy, no one on the planet would struggle with weight. So....I'm going to have a solid green day today and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow....

Hang in there all you "No S" buddies....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:10 pm

Man....feeling sick this week really threw me for a loop! Not only did I feel lousy, but I was discouraged & ready to quit! Yikes! I know I would have absolutely given up on this or any plan if I hadn't been checking in here & talking to others about this plan. I don't want to fail for myself...but I also don't want to fail for the other people in my life who are now looking at doing this. I'm determined to be an "After" picture & I can't do that if I give up....

So...I took wednesday as an "S" day - for "S"ick...Thursday was a solid Green...and my "normal" "S" days are Friday & Saturday. Today is Sunday & I'm heading back to green today....and back to the "Y" hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm not giving up just because the week was difficult....

janie

Burgher

Post by Burgher » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:25 pm

Janie, I doubt very much if you would ever quit this way of eating. You are a solid Eser and give so much encouragement to everyone in this forum.
I have told too many people about this diet and they all know that I am doing it so I have to lose for them as well as me too so I know what you mean about letting people down.
Onward we go.
Janie, Remember your saying about you did it so many days so you can do it another. Love it just can't remember it.
Marie

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:09 pm

Hey Janie,

just remember the bad weeks do eventually pass and when they are gone and you have that strong sturdy foundation of HABIT left holding you up, it is a wonderful feeling,

Blueskighs

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:28 am

Marie & Blueskighs....How nice of you to drop in and write such encouraging words. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

It was definitely a scary week. As many of us have, I've attempted every diet plan in the book and obviously quit every one of them. I suppose it was inevitable that I'd feel tempted to just give up on this too. But you're right, Blueskighs....being right there on the edge of quitting and turning around to get back in the game is something that will make me stronger. I KNOW the alternative to this plan...and it's not pretty. I WANT to be healthy for the rest of my life....and this is the only way for me to do it. So.....I'm back on track. I guess if I look at it, I never did get far off the track in the first place...but I could absolutely see myself sliding right off the wagon and permanently into the chocolate fudge.

But yesterday was a solid GREEN even though my kids were eating all sorts of yummy things all day. I feel better today & I'm ready to go back to the "Y" too. It's going to be a good day....and a very, very GREEN one!

Thanks again Marie & Blueskighs....your words really helped me so much....

Off to be healthy!!!!
janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:40 am

Another GREEN day yesterday...it feels WONDERFUL to be back on track again. I know I'll struggle again, but knowing I survived a really difficult week & didn't give up is a tremendous feeling....

Hmmm...I wonder what day I'm on.....can't remember....I'm gonna make it green though! If I made yesterday green I can make today green too....

janie

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:01 pm

but knowing I survived a really difficult week & didn't give up is a tremendous feeling....
also a great STRENGTHENER of HABIT! YAY YOU!

Blueskighs

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:42 am

Hi Blueskighs.....you're always so encouraging!!! It brightened my day to see your note....thanks!

Had a GREAT day yesterday. My oldest son took his driver's test & he passed. Now this is a son who will really be a good driver....really...it's true! He follows rules & he's not into wild behavior....so I'm excited for him to have this new independence. He passed it and I was so glad to experience that moment with him. We stopped for lunch afterward & I had a sandwich & fries...completely without guilt...and on the way home I bought some candy for him and for the other kids...but I had no desire to "celebrate" with food....what? All my life I'd overeat to celebrate something...to indulge in food was synonymous with celebrate! But it didn't really even cross my mind. It was as if eating had nothing to do with celebrating....as if the two were...well....not even related to each other. Okay...I know this is a minor celebration, but the concept is huge to me. I'm sure I'll still enjoy fun foods to mark events & we'll buy milkshakes to celebrate great grades in school, but it was such a defining moment to know that I don't have to feel compelled to eat for ANY reason! Wow. It was an amazing day.

So....I'm not sure today will hold as much revelation, but I'm off to make it green!

janie