Nichole's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:55 pm

Congratulations Nicole!

I am sooooo tickled for you! You've worked so hard and stuck with your program - and it has paid off!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks! I told someone yesterday it took 6 months because I thought I started in March when it was actually May. I got my Ms mixed up, haha.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:59 am

I got in a kind of argument with my husband last night about sweets. He wants me to bake sometimes. He asked for my chocolate chip cookie bars. I don't know why, but I got mad b/c I just lost so much weight and I'm trying to maintain it. I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I have to work on not eating things, even if they are in the house. It's nice that my hubs likes my baking so much that he wants me to bake for him. I am going to surprise him by making some tomorrow morning. I guess I'll consider this a new challenge...

Today: 135.2 :)

FOOD:
Cereal
Burger on whole wheat roll
Yogurt/granola
Veggie pizza

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:01 pm

Morning Nic. That is a challenge - there are only two of us here as well so whenever I bake something it seems my husband eats a piece (pie, cake, a brownie, cookie or two, etc) and then it just sits there. Last time I divided what I thought no one was going to eat and put individual servings in the freezer - still have pieces of cherry pie my DIL made when their cherries were ripe in June.

Maybe you can work out something like that, the bars would freeze easily and be there if you wanted a snack or somebody dropped by - warm them up with a dollop of ice cream (and then eat them using shortbread cookies as your spoon :D )

I am sure your hubby will appreciate whatever you do.

SR

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:04 pm

Congrats on your weight loss! That's awesome! :D

In terms of baking, there are a few of things I do. One is that I will bake DH's goodie and send it in to work with him to consume/share there. Another is that I'll bake something I really want on the weekend and enjoy a bit with my family. Like others here, I've also found that the freezer is a great resource. I can bake, freeze and pull it out as needed. My other trick is to bake stuff that DH/DD love but I don't like as much ... Then I don't care if I'm missing out. LOL.
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:35 pm

I bake on weekends. Only.

And I send stuff to work, and give it to neighbors, and take it to church, or whatever.

But when you start with "only on weekends," it helps.

(I actually bake more on No-S - I never used to allow it before!)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:02 pm

Hmmm, well I bought chocolate/peanut butter swirl chips to make cookies with but Justin took back what he said and said we don't need them? I dunno. So I'll make them for my sister's block party in a few weeks I suppose.

Today I'm 134.8! :) Later I am seeing District 9 and going to our fav Mexican Restaurant. I'm looking forward to their fried ice cream! I made sure I was good all week so I could have it guilt-free.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm so tired.

Anyway, I'm 136.8 today :/ Blaaaah, I hate weight fluctuations. I think I want to try to be 130-135. That would be a nice range. I hate the fluctuations though because I never know if I should consider myself as having lost 15 lbs or not. I definitely like the way my body is looking, but with clothes on, I look the way I always have lol. Maybe because they're the same clothes.

Today:
Cereal
Cheese
Leftovter homemade turkey burger (no bun) and homemade fries
Yogurt
Chicken Taco Salad

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:01 pm

I can't wait to get home. I plan to do 45 minutes on the bike and some crunches and push ups. Taco salad tonight, yaaay!!!! Yum yum.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:10 pm

I just got home from a lovely spa treatment - a gift from my son-in-law. We (daughter and I) had a massage, facial, manicure and pedicure. I've never had a massage or facial, and let me tell you, they were heavenly.
Tomorrow it will be me - eager to get home and work off some of the stress!! :D

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:21 pm

That sounds really nice!! :)

That's also why I like working out after work, especially if it was a stressful ride home. I take the highway up and back to work, takes about 30 - 45 minutes. An hour if I'm REALLY lucky.

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:53 pm

You can never have too many PEDICURES ...
huh .... No !! Nobody touches my feet, hands off, I'll get all tickle-ish, hehe. ;-)

Nicky, It can be a problem when you buy or make too many treats and then they just sit there ... temptation, temptation. Nicky, your cookies ... are they low cal and nutritious ?? lol !

The other day I bought 6 big muffins when I was babysitting my nephew, he had 4 during the week but there were still 2 left ... They kept harassing me !! I swear they did.. ;-)

That lead me to have a red day this past friday night, when I got tired and I was struggling after being in the sun all day. I crumbled the 2 muffins in a big bowl and then added quite a big portion of vanilla ice cream, argh ! Later I watched a tv show and the nutritionist was sayin' ice cream was basically one of the worst things you could eat, full of sugar and fat, yikes ! It definitely ruined my sugar 'buzz' ... I should have watched the show before eating so much ice cream. ;-)

I learned not to buy too many sweet stuff in advance in the future, so I am not stuck with extra sweets I will be tempted to eat later on...

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Disclaimer : I am following a more extreme version of the 'No-S' diet.
I made my own personal modifications to the original plan (Diet & Exercise)
What I am doing should not be misinterpreted as being a typical 'No-S' diet experience.
11/01/2008 : 280.0 pounds
08/14/2009 : 197.0 pounds
( 9 months 14 days / -83.0 pounds )
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goal : 11/01/2009 : 190.0 pounds ( 1 year / -90.0 pounds )

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:21 am

That picture is scaring me. And pleaaaase, don't call me Nicky.

I don't really keep sweets in the house, ever. Justin came to the conclusion that he doesn't want it in the house anyways. So I hid the chocolate chips that I bought for myself and am going to make cookies for the next party we are invited to.

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:32 am

Geesh, I really struck out this time ... no nicknames, no pictures, no cookies, lol ! 1-2-3 strikes, I'm out ! ;-)

Thumb's up from the drunken college guy - - I like that picture personally.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Disclaimer : I am following a more extreme version of the 'No-S' diet.
I made my own personal modifications to the original plan (Diet & Exercise)
What I am doing should not be misinterpreted as being a typical 'No-S' diet experience.
11/01/2008 : 280.0 pounds
08/14/2009 : 197.0 pounds
( 9 months 14 days / -83.0 pounds )
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goal : 11/01/2009 : 190.0 pounds ( 1 year / -90.0 pounds )

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:45 am

I'm 136 today. :) Nothing real interesting to say here.

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:55 am

Nope! Me either! I leave for school here in a few minutes and on to endless back-to-back meetings for the rest of the week! Woke up 20 minutes early and did my treadmill this morning...back to the old routine!
BTW, have you been working on any new paintings lately, or just your cross stitching? I enjoyed the picture and also the pictures of your Coke kitchen! My DIL has a Coke kitchen too! Talk to you later!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:28 pm

Cool! I love my Coca Cola kitchen. I am going to making curtains for it soon. Not with Coca Cola fabric, though - all I could find was fleece fabric. So I ordered red with little white polka dots. My MIL is going to help me.

Here are some non-stitching things I've been working on:

For our Halloween party. Drew and painted the picture, then scanned it and added the rest in Word.

This giant post card is for my brother's going away party. I traced the basic design, but hand picked what I wanted in each letter. They'll be back-to-back, but I don't want to pass around the front, which is why they're not glued together yet.

Full sized version: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nfalcone/3 ... 2/sizes/o/

Here's what the process looked like a little bit:

Last edited by Nichole on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:08 pm

Nichole, you're remarkably talented! Do you use your art skills professionally?

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:12 pm

Nope.. didn't even major in it in college (one of my biggest regrets). :( I write copy for ads.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:16 am

Nichole wrote:Nope.. didn't even major in it in college (one of my biggest regrets). :( I write copy for ads.
You are one talented young lady! It's never too late to go back to school you know! We have many career switchers entering the education field all the time - in their forties, even! Regardless, and keeping to the subject...I love your work. I'm sure it is a great way to release stress for you too. That's what playing piano does for me!
Can't wait to see your curtains when they're finished! Keep us posted!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:41 am

I won't ever be going back to school b/c I am paying enough loans back as it is. My husband bugs me to illustrate a children's book from time to time. But I have no great ideas and that's really time consuming. Very unmotivated lol.

I'm 135.2 today :) My new goal, I think, is 130. I don't think I'd want to go lower than that.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:44 am

Tell you what...I'll write one and you illustrate it - deal?! :lol:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:13 pm

lol!

I'm preparing for more adventures in cooking on Sunday. My mom, brother, sister, bro in law, and niece are coming over. I am making grilled chicken sandwiches and a salad. Mom is bringing pasta salad and cake.

Anyway, I was going to buy foccacia bread at ACME (supermarket), but I thought... why not make it myself? The recipe is pretty easy (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Michaels-F ... etail.aspx ) and I'm looking forward to trying it out on Sunday morning. It's a lot like my pizza dough recipe, so I'm not worried. Pictures will surely follow! :)

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:35 pm

Nichole, I'm working on writing a children's book -- you can illustrate mine! :wink:

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:05 pm

Hey, you guys write a book together - I'll buy it.

Make it about a metamorphosis, a cocoon struggles through obstacles, maybe holding onto a tree branch through a storm or something - then becomes a butterfly - sorta like an NO S success story.

There ya go - wouldn't it be fun to draw butterflies?

Berry :wink:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:30 am

I am 134.8 today :)

I just spoke to my mom and she is getting a sheet cake for the going away party.. she wants to put the picture of the front of the post card I made on the cake :) I hope it turns out looking good. Just sent her the file.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:30 pm

I am doing a lot of thinking... Trying to decide if I really want to get to 130 or if that would be too hard. I am already worried about my brother's going away party and when we have people over on Sunday, they are bringing sweets. When I am "bad" on the weekends it really sets me back. I don't want to keep on gaining and losing the same 2 lbs. But that just might be a normal fluctation. It's all so confusing to me.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:54 pm

I think two pounds, especially it appears, disappears, and reappears in the course of a few days, is normal fluctuation, yeah. If you keep going between the same high and low weight, I would count your weight as stable.

Would it be possible to put the scale away in a closet and just try living your life for a few weeks and see how you feel? Focus on whether what you're eating makes you feel good and whether your habits are solid, and how your clothes fit and how much fun you are having -- not whether food is good or bad, or on the number you see on a scale?

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:59 pm

More background on what I'm doing... Saturday, for instance, I ate like normal + small fried ice cream. Sunday, same thing, plus piece of cake. So about 300 more cals... Can that really be on the scale Monday morning? I am thirsty constantly all weekend, so it's my fault I suppose.

Giving up the scale, hmmmmm... that might be hard b/c as soon as I give the scale a rest, I let everything else go and gain weight :-/

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:38 pm

Well, in the past that has always been me too! Or actually, I gave up on the scale because I knew I wouldn't like what it said BECAUSE I had given up on everything else.

But on No S -- do you think you'd change your eating habits if you weren't weighing? I feel like, for me, this is something I can and will do forever, regardless of what the numbers on a scale say. This is just how I eat. Your clothes will tell you if you are gaining actual weight.

I would definitely consider your weight stabilized right now, btw -- you aren't rapidly gaining and losing two pounds of fat, you're just seeing differences in water retention and random variation.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:51 pm

I'll have to think about it :)

I am thinking about making homemade pancakes tomorrow. No bisquick! It's pretty easy. I want to try it. I bought nice maple syrup the last time I was at Acme, and baking powder, so I'm all set. Not very healthy, but I really want to try it! :)

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:53 pm

My husband makes homemade pancakes all the time, as a weekend treat. They really are very easy! He is not a big "project" cook, and if it was a hassle, he would never bother.

There's nothing unhealthy about having a few homemade pancakes with real maple syrup! Yum. Are you going to do buttermilk or plain?

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:56 pm

Hmmm, I think the recipe I have calls for regular milk :) Yesh, it shouldn't be too bad if I just have a couple, like usual. Maybe I will buy some blueberries...oooh!!!! I'll freeze any we don't eat for next weekend :).

Oh and I considered buying the sugar free stuff, but thought.. it'd be nicer to just eat less of the REAL syrup than lots of the crappy sugar free junk. lol.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:01 pm

Btw, does he use a mixer or do it buy hand?

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:10 pm

Yeah, we always freeze leftovers.

He does it with a whisk, because honestly it's more trouble to wash the mixer than it is to do the whisking by hand. You just stir until the ingredients are mixed, it's not like a cake where you're beating in air to give it volume, so it's pretty easy.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Yes, I don't feel like dirting up my pretty mixer just for pancakes...! But since you said it's not hassle, I thought "I bet he doesn't use their mixer!"

Speaking of my mixer, I was thinking of buying a cover, but I don't want to not be able to see it. haha.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:58 pm

I made those pancakes... delicious, such a treat! I am baking fresh focaccia bread now, it's in the oven and smells amazing! :) Using it for sandwiches tomorrow when my family comes over.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:52 am

Pretty good weekend nutrition wise..... Ate healthy all weekend, but had a brownie and 3 small pieces of cake! lol! I was 136 this morning. No harm, no foul. Pretty sure it was from lack of water b/c I was extremely thirsty yesterday but was so busy getting ready for company, that I forgot to drink up. I don't plan on having anymore sweets until Sunday, which will be a baby shower.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:28 pm

I don't think I am going to be consciously trying to lose any more weight, for a few reasons. First, it's hard. Second, my clothes are not fitting and I honestly cannot afford to go out and buy more clothes. Third, I think I like this weight :). They say if you lose 10% of your weight, that's a) better for your health and b) easiest to maintain. That's another thing I have in mind. And being 135 from 150, I have indeed lost 10% of my weight. I'm quite proud of that :) Since we want to hopefully get pregnant in a year, I hope that will help motivate to stay healthy and thin for the future baby. The better in shape I am, the better the pregnancy and the healthier the baby :).

Just got a Bob Greene email and I really like his tips:
Want to make weight loss a little easier? Try these tips, which have been shown to help peel off the pounds.

Write What You Bite
A food journal helps you account for little nibbles (like tasting while you're cooking) that can add up to big calories. Plus, you can use your journal to help decipher problem eating patterns; for example, you can pinpoint times or occasions when you turn to food for emotional reasons as opposed to physical hunger.

Plan for Success
You wouldn't leave a big meeting with a client up to chance by not putting it on your calendar. Give the same respect to your exercise time—make an appointment with yourself to sweat it out and keep it!

Reward Your Effort
Devise a personal reward system based on small goals, and then use them to motivate you. Opt for non-edible rewards, such as a manicure, a new book, a CD or downloaded music, or a massage.

Don't Throw in the Towel
Have you ever thought, 'I've already blown it this weekend, what's the point of watching what I eat now? I'll just start fresh on Monday morning.' Postponing your weight-loss efforts until an arbitrary start-over date can cause a small slip to turn into a big backslide. If you splurge, bounce back to your good habits immediately. Each day is a new day.

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:37 pm

Sounds like a good plan to me, Nicole. I know that once one is successful finding a healthy eating plan that actually peels off the pounds, it is rewarding to see the number drop.

But, like you, I had to realize that my "best" weight was somewhere betwen 135-140. I have been maintaining at the 137 or so mark without even trying.

I would think, at your young age, 130-135 would be as low as you need to go. Remember, as an avid exerciser, you can weigh ten pounds or so more than a person the same height who doesn't exercise - yet look thinner and more toned in your clothes.

I would say that you have achieved maintenance level now so play around with it and see how it goes. If you gain over your high end mark, just cut back, if you get too low - splurge.

And, congrats, you have done an amazing job.

Berry

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:38 pm

I was 134.2 today! I'm in maintenance mode now, but if I lose more weight, that's cool too.

TODAY:
Cereal (yogurt burst cheerios)
Chicken and veggies and small piece of focaccia
Yogurt/granola
Salmon for dinner, i guess, and a ceasar salad

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:06 pm

Congrats, Nichole!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:12 pm

Thanks guys! Strawberry, I didn't even see your post until just now because your post was put through a minute before mine, so I was typing when you added your post. lol.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:20 am

Picture time!

Homemade pancakes (the slabs of butter were just for the picture. I took most of it off, lol):

Focaccia bread:

Drawing of "Taco Fairy" my mom gave me:
Drawing of ceramic wedding ring holder:
The last two stink b/c my scanner isn't hooking up with my computer and my lazy husband hasn't fixed it yet. So I had to use my camera and there's no natural light because it's night time.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:10 pm

135 even today :).

Okay, so I am going out to lunch on Sat and a shower on Sun. Right now my plan is to have cake on Saturday because my mom is making it homemade, and maybe no sweets at the shower. There will be lots of people at the shower, so I won't look as obvious not having a sweet. Silly, right? I may have a cookie or something, if they look homemade lol.

Also, we're going to the Macaroni Grill. I already know what I am getting, it's below 500 calories. Most of their meals are 1200 calories, which is what I eat in one day! I could try to eat just half, but I know how good it is going to taste and how hard that will be, so I'm getting a healthier meal instead. I hope this doesn't sound obsessive, but it's how I roll. Besides, I WILL be having a piece of cake!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:13 pm

I'm doing so well!

It is definitely an exciting time in my life. My sister is trying to have a baby, and we will hopefully have one a year after them :) I am going to be the godmother of their new baby!!

A couple small personal triumphs: 3 days in a row of small drawings (yay!) and I'm almost finished the xes on my Autumn cross stitch! I am anxious to get started on the winter one. I just want to be finished with it!

134.8 this morning

Today:
Cereal
Cheese
Chicken/Veggies/piece of whole grain bread
Yogurt/Granola
Shrimp Ceasar Salad

Bon Appetit! :)

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:30 pm

Love hearing the happiness and excitement in your "voice", Nicole.

I know it is isn't just the pounds by themselves, but the fact that you are in control and doing good things for your body - seeing the results is the bonus.

What fun baby plans, it would be great having cousins a year apart. I hope everything works out the way you hope for you and your sister.

SR :wink:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:44 pm

I hope so too. :) I know sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray, but I hope they don't. And thank you! Your encouragement definitely helped me get this far.

I am very tired today. With all this on my mind, I haven't been sleeping very well.

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:13 pm

You're welcome, my friend.

I was thinking about your journey thus far so I went back to page one and read when I first "met" you - just think you are easily into the 130's and you were in the 150's after your marriage. That is major!

I was 160 on Jan 1st 2008 and 135 today, a whole different person. It is amazing how much difference 15,20, 25 pounds can make in not only our clothes, etc. but our mindset about life in general.

I think we click because we are about the same as far as height, weight, etc.

The only difference is, I am SOOO much older.

Enjoy your day, I had better get to work getting the guest room all spruced up for my daughter, I always treat her "special" when she is visiting.

SR :wink:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:09 pm

And we click b/c we just plain get along so well! lol. And I understand, my mom treats me special alll the time. :)

I was going to exercise b/c I was so tired, but I did and now I feel a lot better.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:37 pm

134 even today. A New low.

TODAY
-Cereal
-Cheese
-Salad - Romaine, chicken, strawberries, lite vinagrette
-Yogurt/Granola
-Homemade thin-crust pizza with tomatoes! :)

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:18 pm

I've got friends in LOW places.

:lol:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:01 pm

lol.

I'm 134 again today. I was 133 yesterday! :) Had treats this weekend, but not too many. Really enjoyed a small chocolate ice cream from Dairy Queen yesterday. But now it's back to normal eating.

I'm looking forward to doing some baking on Friday for a party on Saturday. :) Making homemade, non-mix chocolate cupcakes. My friend, who is a pastry chef, sent me her recipe with special instructions. I can't wait to try it.

TODAY:
Cereal
Cheese Stick
Chicken with Veggies & 2 pieces of whole wheat toast
Sugar Free pudding cup (out of yogurt, have to go food shopping)
Buffalo chicken wrap salad

1/2 hour exercise bike + push ups, sit ups

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:24 pm

Is that recipe one that can be shared? :)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:41 pm

Sure! She forgot to put the temp of the oven and how long (I just asked her though):

1 3/4 c. all purpose flour
2 c. sugar
3/4 c. cocoa powder
1 1/2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 t salt
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c veg oil
2 t vanilla extract
1 c. boiling water

You don't have to use a mixer if you have a nice sturdy whisk. If not, I suggest you use either a hand held mixer or a kitchen aid with the paddle attachment.

-Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
-Whisk eggs, milk, oil and vanilla together.
-Mix the wet and the dry together.
- Slowly stream in the hot water. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix again. The batter will be super thin.

This yields about 30 cupcakes or 2-9" round pans.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:26 pm

Here is how I did on the August challenge:
GOAL: Lose 3 lbs. in August. Why just 3? I lost about 12 or 13 lbs. and I'm down to 138, so I don't have much to lose. So it's slower now I guess. Even if I just maintain, I'll be happy :)

Also, I want to keep up with my workout schedule. I do 50 minutes on the bike one day, then the next day is 30 minutes plus 20 minutes of arms/abs exercises. I try to exercise 5 days a week with Thursday and Friday as my off days. I have much more free time on the weekends, so I like to schedule my workouts over the weekend.

No-S: I do No-S Plus 1.. that is, 3 meals and one snack in the afternoon. That gap is too big not to eat something. :) It has worked well for me.

Starting weight: 137
Ending weight: 134

8/1: Crazy day! Ugh 50 minutes on exercise bike
8/2: Okay..
8/3, Mon. :good!!! 30 minutes on exercise bike
8/4, Tues.: Green 20 minutes abs/arms, 30 minutes on bike
8/5, Wed: Yellow - had a small cookie and a half inch square of brownie @Mom's
8/6, Thurs: Green nutrition, and 50 minutes on the exercise bike, and 50 sit ups and 10 push ups
8/7, Fri: Good! Except I had a Blizzard. Hmmm. 40 Minutes on Bike.
8/8, Sat: Good! Didn't "go crazy". Weight is down to 136.4..
8/9, Sun: Good. Had a piece of cake, but other than that it was just 3 meals. Half hour bike + weights/abs
8/10, Mon: Okay. Very healthy, within my cals, but I had a piece of cake... 30 minutes exercise bike.
8/11, Tues: Still 136.8! :) Green nutrition... 40 minutes on bike/20 minutes abs/weights
8/12, Weds: 135.8!!!! Haven't been this weight in a long time.
8/13, Thurs: 135 even!!! Good eating! 40 Minutes on bike, plus abs and weights.
8/14, Fri: 135.2 today, so it wasn't a fluke! :) Green nutrition, 30 minutes on bike.
8/15, Sat. 134.8 this morning! :)
8/16, Sunday: Good, had a piece of cake. 40 minutes on Bike.
8/17, Mon: Good nutrition, 40 minutes on bike/abs
8/18, Tues: Green Nutrition, 50 minutes on the bike, plus abs
8/19, Weds: 135 again! exercise
8/20 - Good, exercised too
8/21 - Good, exercised too
8/22 - Saturday, Good nutrition, did not exercise :)
8/23 - Sunday, Good nutrition, had S - brownie and 3 pieces of cake! lol. Exercised 40 minutes while watching Simpsons and Family Guy
8/24 - Going for green. Green nutrition and exercise (40 minutes on bike, plus arms/abs)
8/25 - 134.2 today! Though I'm not TRYING to lose anymore weight, if I lose more, that's great. Sticking to 1200 calories or so daily.
8/26 - exercise, good nutrition
8/27- exercise, good nutrition
8/28 - no exercise, OK nutrition (had a small piece of cheesecake!)
8/29 - no exercise, good calories, but I had cake and cookies for dinner! lol.
8/30 - exercise! Have a baby shower today. 133.2 this morning! Brand new low.
8/31 -134
August HabitCal

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:01 pm

Look at all that green! You are going to have such good habits in place so that when you do start your family you will not have to change a thing during pregnancy or child rearing. I wrote a post many months ago specifically addressing that issue for all you that are young moms to be. Keep the habit going and you will get off any pounds that come on naturally with pregnancy and you have stopped the snacking so you there will not be the nighttime eating after baby gets to sleep or cleaning up the food they have left behind. And..you will not be denied special treats for birthdays and parties. This is just perfect for a way of life.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:49 pm

Nichole wrote:Sure! She forgot to put the temp of the oven and how long (I just asked her though):

1 3/4 c. all purpose flour
2 c. sugar
3/4 c. cocoa powder
1 1/2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 t salt
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c veg oil
2 t vanilla extract
1 c. boiling water

You don't have to use a mixer if you have a nice sturdy whisk. If not, I suggest you use either a hand held mixer or a kitchen aid with the paddle attachment.

-Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
-Whisk eggs, milk, oil and vanilla together.
-Mix the wet and the dry together.
- Slowly stream in the hot water. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix again. The batter will be super thin.

This yields about 30 cupcakes or 2-9" round pans.
Looks yummy! Let me know the baking time/temp when you get it.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:09 am

TexArk wrote:Look at all that green! You are going to have such good habits in place so that when you do start your family you will not have to change a thing during pregnancy or child rearing. I wrote a post many months ago specifically addressing that issue for all you that are young moms to be. Keep the habit going and you will get off any pounds that come on naturally with pregnancy and you have stopped the snacking so you there will not be the nighttime eating after baby gets to sleep or cleaning up the food they have left behind. And..you will not be denied special treats for birthdays and parties. This is just perfect for a way of life.

I remember that post, yes!! We're going to start trying in June; we're beyond excited and talk a little bit about it every day. It's a very special time, I think! :) I plan to hopefully keep up with my exercising and to just pump up my meals a bit!

KCCC: She said to bake at 350 for 12 minutes, and then to test it. If it springs back when poked with your finger, try two more minutes, and try again, etc. Ovens vary, so you have to just eye ball it. :)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:50 am

134.2 again today! Weird. It's such a specific weight to be at lol. I don't mind though.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:39 pm

I'm craving a sweet treat.. Blaaah.

Tonight I'm making us homemade turkey burgers on whole wheat buns with Busch's Baked Beans and a fresh salad :) Really looking forward to it.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:11 pm

I am doing well. 133.6 today. :) I am baking tonight, which I am really looking forward to and have been. Chocolate cupcakes with mini chocolate chips. Tomorrow I will add fresh buttercream frosting and chocolate shavings to the top. Yum!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:54 pm

I think that I am still losing weight. Last week I was 134, and for the past few days I've been around 133. :) That is fine with me! I see my abs more and more. Just eating around 1200 calories most days.

Breakfast: Latte, half of a mini bagel
Snack 1: Cheese
Lunch: Toast, Steamed Veggies, Chicken
Snack 2: Yogurt w/granola
Dinner: Buffalo chicken salad

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:44 pm

Still 133 today! :)

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Awesome!

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:08 am

You're doing great Nicole, while still enjoying your life.

I love it when a plan comes together.

:wink:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:21 pm

Thanks, you two! I got to have homemade cake yesterday! My assistant manager is having a baby in a month.. well his wife is doing the labor.. ;). Haha. The cake was a little TOO sweet, which is crazy for a sweet-a-holic like me to say!

I'm 134 today, so I'm doing good. People say that weighing every day can be bad.. But if I didn't weigh every day, I wouldn't know that this fluctuation is normal for me. Sometimes people see an increase and they worry that this means that an upward trend is starting. While that COULD be true, it also cannot be true. Ahh, I know what I mean, anyway :).

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:15 pm

Oh dear god, my husband just sent me that Time article ("Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin") that caused a lot of controversy here a couple of weeks ago. Ugh.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:46 am

Yesterday was tough.. I am on medicine for a bug bite that makes me really dizzy and out of it. And hungry! Or at least, eating helped the dizziness go away, so I ate a lot yesterday. I ate a donut at one point. I guess it should count as a Sick day. I don't really feel guilty because the food made me feel better. Today I didn't take the medicine because my foot is mostly okay and I just can't take that med anymore! Horrible.

133.4 today :)

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:17 pm

Oh dear, hope you feel much better today Nicole. Feeling dizzy is just awful - having low blood pressure I can attest to that for sure.

As far as the weighing every day, it is the only way I can see the trend of the body adjusting to the new weight - trying to go back and hold on to a previous point - and then just finally giving in and accepting that we are sincere in our effort to reset.

As far as your husband, tell him to go read something more productive,

like Playboy :D

Feel better, my friend.

Berry

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:53 pm

I'm feeling good today! Didn't take the dreadful medicine. The swelling on my foot has gone down, thank god! Looking forward to homemade pizza tonight, yum!

Oh and I have to admit something: sometimes I think about losing more weight. I probably could, but I'm liking maintainence much more than losing. But I see the fat on my belly and think "if I just lose 5 more lbs, maybe that wouldn't be there."

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:50 pm

Glad you're feeling better Nicole. Thought about you this evening as I was making Tuna Quiche! I added some chopped onion this time and we liked that...not much left over!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:44 am

I ate WAAAAY too much on Saturday, particularly sweets. My heart was racing as I was trying to sleep. Sunday was back to healthy foods, and I did treat myself to a small Blizzard. I haven't had many this summer, probably only about 3 total. I got my favorite, the banana cream pie one and it was delicious. I ate it while watching the VMAs on MTV. 134 this morning.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:50 am

Nothing interesting here. I am 133 today. :) Such a random weight for me to settle at, but okay. I still can't believe I have lost 17 lbs. It definitely makes me more confident and I love fitting in my clothes. Actually, they're way too loose. Some of my pants look ridiculous because they are completely baggy in the butt area. :/

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:49 pm

Nicole,

You've done so well! Congratulations!!!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:08 pm

mimi wrote:Glad you're feeling better Nicole. Thought about you this evening as I was making Tuna Quiche! I added some chopped onion this time and we liked that...not much left over!

Yum yum! I love tuna quiche, haven't made it in a little while.

Thanks, howfunisthat!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:33 pm

I am tired of all the stupid articles about why America is overweight. Here's why America is overweight, it's easy: delicious food is SOOO affordable and Americans love delicious, fast, overprocessed food. And we love to eat a lot of it. And we don't exercise. End of story. It's not that hard to figure out.

ksbrowne

Post by ksbrowne » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:45 pm

Nichole wrote:I am tired of all the stupid articles about why America is overweight. Here's why America is overweight, it's easy: delicious food is SOOO affordable and Americans love delicious, fast, overprocessed food. And we love to eat a lot of it. And we don't exercise. End of story. It's not that hard to figure out.
Amen, sister!!!!

Kathy

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:02 pm

lol thanks.

I'm doing OK today. 134.6 this morning. Arg. I guess that's fine though. I had Chinese last night. I've been cheating a little too much, a cookie here and there. I will nip that in the bud though.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

So I've been a steady 134 for a week now. I've been eating slightly more than I had been, not really "dieting" in the sense of trying to lose weight, but, maybe eating about 1400 calories. It's a lot easier than 1200, I can tell you that much! I shoot between 1200-1400 most days and try not to go crazy on the weekends. I am really loving being thinner and I feel a lot more confident, I'm noticing. But as a result my check-ins are kind of boring!!! Eating healthy makes me feel so great; I don't want to ever go back.

I've posted more pictures here though:

www.flickr.com/photos/nfalcone

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:36 am

Today I was 136.5..! What??

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:38 pm

Today I was 136.5..! What??
NORMAL weight fluctuations! Particularly after a weekend.

Took a look at your flickr page...haven't checked for awhile. Wow, you've been busy Nicole! I absolutely LOVE your autumn cross stitch and your recent sketches. I've told you before, but you're extremely talented.
Won't you have fun decorating a future nursery?!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:40 pm

Thanks!! Yes that will definitely be fun :)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:53 am

135.2 this morning. Hmmm. Doing well, I guess :)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:02 pm

I feel remotivated.. I would kind of like to lose 5 more lbs to get to 130.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:56 pm

Weight is back to normal this morning 134.2. I think I might have had some constipation. Sorry, tmi!

I am seeing The Wizard of Oz tonight on the big screen, hi-def! The show is sold out! I'm excited. Before that will be a simple dinner of chicken, whole wheat pasta, and a salad.

I'm going back down to 1,200 calories for now for the forseeable future. It's where I am most comfortable. I don't think I burn much more than 1,500 a day or so. My theory is if I try to eat 1,200, I probably eat slightly more than that, so it is a good number to help me maintain.

Also, I think I'm going back to being mostly strict on weekends because it's too hard to get back into the groove. And I don't like being heavier on Monday.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:52 am

132.4 this morning. New low! I don't know why I am so much lower than yesterday, though. I hope it's not a fluke.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:07 pm

On a related note, I really need new clothes :?

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:45 am

I binged. I'm mad at my husband so I ate two reeses cups and a small muffin :( and now I just feel worse.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:14 pm

I was 132.6 today.

Today's Plan:

Oatmeal; small homemade muffin
Cheese if I get hungry
Shrimp and broccoli with half cup rice pilaf
Yogurt w/granola
Pizza - homemade

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:14 pm

////
Last edited by Nichole on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:40 am

You know, Nicole, I have been thinking about the whole "obsession" thing.

I am just as obsessed whether I am losing, gaining, maintaining, etc.

I guess I will always be a scale watcher but at least this program has shown me that it is very easy to lose the weight and still eat a healthy NORMAL diet so that's the good thing.

Has No S helped me with the constant need to worry about the issue in general?

No, not really.

:roll:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:17 pm

I am feeling much better now. I was having a horrible week, getting to bed too late, feeling really really tired. I blame PMS for the fatigue, at least! I know fatigue makes things seem horrible. So I'm just going to keep on doing what I'm doing, sticking to 1200 calories and continue to improve my diet :). I don't know why I was feeling so low last week... Well I guess I do know but things are better now, thank goodness! :)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:39 pm

So I lost about 2 lbs this month :) Wasn't particularly trying to. I love my new way of eating. I am very enthusiastic about cooking and baking from scratch and I really love it. I feel like it has enriched my life.

I saw Julie & Julia last night and it was fabulous. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:15 pm

Nichole wrote:I need advice on how to maintain my new low weight without being obsessed.
Put away the scale and focus on eating sensibly, the no-S way.

It's fun to use the scale when you are losing weight. It can be frustrating when you plateau. If you are eating a reasonable amount, you'll get to the best weight for you.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:38 pm

Thanks for your kind advice, but I'm never going to stop weighing. When I do, I start not caring, and I gain weight. And I don't do strict No-S.. I do eat planned snacks. :)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:43 am

On a non-food-related note, I finished this yesterday:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:25 pm

Whoa, the scale said 131.5 today. Amazing! :) I can't believe I am still losing weight.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:41 am

I don't think anyone reads this thing anymore, but today I was 131 lbs. :) Yay! I have lost a grand total of 19 lbs.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:48 pm

I was 130.6 today. I can't believe it. Soon I'll be able to say that I have lost 20 lbs.

I just baked some chocolate chip pound cupcakes for my niece and will be decorating them with some homemade buttercream soon! :) I ate two... Oh well! No more sweets today! i'm going to exercise on the bike now, for 45 minutes.

Nichole