Nichole's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:02 am

Those cupcakes sound delicious. Mmmm!
5'9 -- Laura --

Started July 23, 2009 -- 246.6
Restart: June 13, 2010 - 241.6
July 18, 2010 -- 235 .... - 11.6 lb loss in ~1 yr.
Back Again: January 13, 2012 -- 242.2 lbs

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:51 pm

When I put them on my cupcake stand and take a picture, I'll post it! :) I dyed the icing green and pink for Tinkerbell.. Can't wait to set it up at my mom's house.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:28 am

Sounds cute!
5'9 -- Laura --

Started July 23, 2009 -- 246.6
Restart: June 13, 2010 - 241.6
July 18, 2010 -- 235 .... - 11.6 lb loss in ~1 yr.
Back Again: January 13, 2012 -- 242.2 lbs

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Still haven't uploaded those pictures yet...

I am doing good, holding steady at 131.

Updated chart:

I started not recording the spikes because I didn't see the point, and only recorded when I lost weight.

ksbrowne

Post by ksbrowne » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi Nichole,
I've enjoyed reading your daily check-in.

Wow, the chart is impressive! About 1 pound per week?

Kathy

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:59 pm

Thanks! Yes, it was something like that. Very gradual.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:42 pm

New low today: 130.6. I wonder when I will stop losing weight? I've upped my cals...

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:46 pm

You know, I think the spikes on this chart could be very informative to the vast majority of No-S'ers that see spikes, but don't believe that they are temporary...
Nichole wrote:Still haven't uploaded those pictures yet...

I am doing good, holding steady at 131.

Updated chart:

I started not recording the spikes because I didn't see the point, and only recorded when I lost weight.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:18 pm

I've been doing this since May.. I used to record every day but got quite bored of that and learned there was no point for me to record the spikes. I think people should plot for themselves; it's very beneficial. However, most people think that weighing every day is "bad". Plus, I don't do "vanilla" No-S. I eat snacks and I don't allow myself anything too crazy on the weekends, even though they're S days.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:56 pm

I didn't mean you should go back and pick it up again, I just meant that it's really informative to see short term upward spikes and significant weight loss over time. It seems to be a newbie trend around here to feel discouraged when after a week of dieting, you gain a pound. What you have here is evidence that could give courage to the discouraged.

Maybe post some an illustrative portion of what you've already collected and graphed it in the Testimonials thread?

EDIT: Rather than asking you to dredge back through old data, I've decided to track it myself. I'm a little embarrassed I didn't think of this in the first place... :oops:
Nichole wrote:I've been doing this since May.. I used to record every day but got quite bored of that and learned there was no point for me to record the spikes. I think people should plot for themselves; it's very beneficial. However, most people think that weighing every day is "bad". Plus, I don't do "vanilla" No-S. I eat snacks and I don't allow myself anything too crazy on the weekends, even though they're S days.
Last edited by Kevin on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:19 am

Thanks for sharing your chart. It shows a beautiful downward trend!
Girl Next Door
"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:34 pm

Doing great Nicole! You are finding what I did, if one truly eats better and exercises (barring medical conditions), the weight will peel off.

Should you fall below what you are comfortable with, just add more good foods to you routine (or have a bit more of the yummy baked goods you are so proficient at.)

I am planning to make a lemon pound cake today - then while it is still warm I poke holes in the top with a wooden skewer and drizzle a mixture of powered sugar and frozen lemonade (just a couple spoons, not diluted) down inside and over the sides of it. Then I put it in the refrigerator and it forms a little sweet crust.

Stay healthy and happy, my friend.

SR :wink:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:56 pm

Haven't posted in a while...

I'm doing great, was 132.6 this morning. Just trying to eat healthy. My goal is to not gain any of the weight back during the holidays that I lost these past 6 months. My plan is to mostly stay off the sweets at parties. I already gave away a lot of stuff at work that I had left over from our Halloween party. My mom left me half a chocolate cake - threw that away. I have a gallon-sized bag of candy from the party --- giving that to my sister to hand out at Halloween.

By the way, everybody keeps saying I look "skinny" and I just don't see it. I still feel/look exactly the same as nearly 20 lbs ago to me. Sometimes I think about trying to get to 125, but I don't feel like it and it seems like that would be hard to maintain.

Two of my latest culinary creations, both made out of pound cake:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:51 pm

I suppose my check-in is offically boring! I was 131.4 this morning and all this week so far. So maintenance has been good. I made some really delicious chicken parm last night. I left two without sauce and cheese - I want to make salad with these extra breaded chicken breasts, but not sure what kind.

Go Phillies!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:52 pm

The scale said 130 today! Officially lost 20 lbs!

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:29 pm

Nichole wrote:The scale said 130 today! Officially lost 20 lbs!
Woo hoo! That's fantastic - what an accomplishment! Loved your pumpkin cake and birthday cupcakes, by the way!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:19 pm

Being a Nationalss fan, I'd normally *never* say go Phillies.

However.

Go Phillies!!!

Nichole wrote:
Go Phillies!
Kevin

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:11 pm

Thanks, Mimi! I haven't really been trying to lose weight, I've just been focusing on good habits.

And I am very close to Philly (was just there last week!)... I hope they win tomorrow night! I'm not much of a sports-fan, but I always root for the home team.

Oh, and Happy Almost-Halloween:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:31 pm

I have A LOT and I mean A LOT of events coming up. I am nervous about maintaining my weight.

13 - out to dinner for hub's birthday
14 - dinner with hub's parents for both our birthdays
15 - family Sunday dinner, complete with chocolate cake
18 - the girls taking me out for belated b/day dinner at Italian restaurant
21 - friend coming over
26 - thanksgiving
27 - 1st birthday party/lunch with santa
December 2 - seeing Rockettes, then eating out
December 6 - 1st year wedding anniversary
24 - Christmas Eve
25 - Christmas

Ho boy.....

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:00 pm

NICOLE? Where are you?

Hope you are doing well.

Berry

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:22 pm

I'm here! Though we've spoke since your message, lol.

Anyways, I'm pregnant and GAINING weight.
Slowly. I'm 16 weeks, have gained about 5 lbs.

My "diet" right now:
Orange Juice
Old Fashioned Oatmeal with skim milk -- I usually try to add a banana or blueberries to this
A few cashews when I need a boost
Cheese mid morning
PB&J OR leftovers
Plain yogurt with sugar and cinnamon and a little granola
Dinner, which 5 nights a week is homemade and about 2 nights is take out or restaurant. I get lots of veggies with my dinner usually. Take out is usually a big salad with oil and vinegar instead of dressing. Need my greens!!

Sometimes I'll have a little something when I get home, like a few small hard pretzels. I've been exercising about 5x a week. 5 days of 35 minutes on the bike and every other day I do my free weights.

I haven't given up baking and decorating! The latest:

Last week:
January
December:
November:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:02 pm

I never do lunges,but the other day I did - with 5 lb weights. I think I overdid it because yesterday and today my legs have been KILLING ME!!! I didn't exercise yesterday because of it. I hate to miss another day, but my thighs really hurt so I think I'll skip today too. :/

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi Nichole,
I definately agree with you about resting your legs if they are sore from lunges. I know it makes you feel guilty for not exercising but believe me it is the right call!! Whenever I start doing lunges again I am always very sore the day afterwards (I'm convinced I have a weak hamstring). I don't know what is up with that exercise, squats never do that to me! Anyways, once I tried ignoring it and did lunges the following day and I was practically paralyzed the day after that.
A couple of days of rest is okay, I'm sure you'll start again once your legs feel better!

Keep it up, you're doing great.
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:45 pm

Nichole wrote:I never do lunges,but the other day I did - with 5 lb weights. I think I overdid it because yesterday and today my legs have been KILLING ME!!! I didn't exercise yesterday because of it. I hate to miss another day, but my thighs really hurt so I think I'll skip today too. :/
From a weight training (i.e. muscle building) perspective, YES, you should rest the muscle experiencing Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS, in lifter jargon). Your muscle is spending all its energy GROWING right now. Let it do that.

This is not to say that soreness is necessarily a good metric for the value of a workout. It isn't. It just means you challenged your body a bit more than you were really ready to take on.

Stretching and gentle movement is good for DOMS. If you swim, water workouts are good for active recovery. If not, putting on some groovy/sexy music and treating yourself to a really nice stretch can be a big help.

It's good that you're working out during pregnancy. You'll be really glad of that come time for labor!
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:58 pm

Thanks guys, I definitely over did it! If I do them again, I'll not use weights and do less of them----and I'll do lots of extra stretching. Obviously my thighs don't get worked out enough! lol!

Exercising through this pregnancy, even in the first trimester when I was EXHAUSTED, hasn't been that hard at all... And it helps me sleep much better. I definitely sleep a lot lighter when I don't exercise. Last night was rough, I hardly slept at all and was restless. I've been exercising for years now and didn't want to stop b/c of pregnancy for loads of good reasons. I guess I will switch to walking once I'm really big and won't fit on our recumbant bike lol. Though, I feel reluctant to walk outside alone, even in broad daylight, as an obviously vunerable pregnant woman, even though we don't have much crime in our area. Paranoid, I know..

Today I think I'll just work my arms, but not do the exercise bike. Hopefully I'll be back at it tomorrow. And yes, I definitely will STRETCH!! :)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:57 pm

After stretching A LOT last night and getting some light exercise on the bike, I feel great today. Every step doesn't hurt as it did yesterday and the day before! I also did my arm exercises, but that has nothing to do with my legs lol.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:03 pm

About six pounds gained.

I can't wait to exercise after work today. I took Saturday and Sunday off and didn't sleep well at all. Though some days I don't sleep well even if I DO exercise, but it generally helps to really knock me out when it's bed time. I hate waking up at 4 am or so and just laying there until 6, thinking about the baby and other things in a daze. It's different than regular insomnia because I'm not wide awake, I don't know how to explain it.

Food today:
-Oatmeal w/skim w/blueberries
-Homemade banana muffin w/coffee
-Cheese stick
-Chicken on a whole wheat wrap
-Plain Yogurt with banana and tsp sugar
-Pretzels - BTW I buy Snyders of Hanover brand b/c they only have 5 ingredients and no HFCS.
-And whatever Justin's mom makes for dinner. We gather with his parents and watch Chuck every Monday evening. :)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:51 am

I had a great weekend, didn't go overboard on Easter sweets. My increased blood flow makes my heart REALLY race if I'm too full, sooo that's a good excuse to lay off the desserts! I thought it was the sugar, but my husb's cousin explained it that way. He's a doctor.

I got outside for my exercise on Saturday. Took about a 40 minute walk around the neighborhood. I don't really like walking alone because I'm paranoid, but the neighborhood across from our apartment is REALLY nice (which i lived in one of those homes!). I need new sneakers - the ones I have I've been working out in since, oh..... 2006ish! Eek. My MIL suggested New Balances.

My weight was 138.8 on Saturday and 142.4 today? That has to be wrong....!!! We'll see tomorrow after a day of being well-hydrated.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:17 pm

I am so exhausted and it sucks.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:31 pm

19 weeks pregnant, 9 lbs gained. Went camping this weekend and had lots of s'mores - they were SO good. Thought I'd definitely be up today but I'm not. Probably because I ate healthy most of the time. Made monkey bread for Saturday morning and everybody loved it, especially the kids and my pregnant sister!!

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:45 pm

Nicole, how nice that you and your sister are expecting at the same time! Be careful not to overdo and tire yourself out too much.
Take care!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:42 am

Thanks! I exercise, but it's nothing strenuous. I'm mostly tired because I don't sleep very well.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:26 pm

21 weeks pregnant, 11 lbs gained. I'm doing well! :)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue May 11, 2010 1:21 pm

I am not 23 weeks pregnant. It's a GIRL!

I've gained a nice 12/13 lbs. No-S style of eating helps me keep my weight under control. I avoid sweets during the week (most of the time), don't take seconds (besides veggies), and I have planned, healthy snacks (I don't graze or perma-snack!!!). Also, every time I'm hungry, I think to myself, "am I really hungry or just bored at work?" That helps a lot. I'm on my way, hopefully, to gaining the recommended 25-30 lbs.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Tue May 11, 2010 8:43 pm

It sounds like you are doing great! Congrats on your sweet little girl on the way ... Very exciting! :D
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed May 12, 2010 1:00 pm

Thanks! We can't wait!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri May 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Wow, so pregnancy doesn't make me exempt from crazy fluctations. This week I've been around 146.2, then I had a big Mexican dinner. The next day I was up 2.5 lbs. Then after a day of "regular" eating, my weight was back to normal and right where it should be- 146.6. Crazy!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu May 20, 2010 11:48 am

I"ve been in the bad habit of eating way too many sweets for the past couple of weeks - at least one per day. That probably amounts to an extra 1,000 cals a week or something! So I have to be better. Only on S Days.

Today:
Breakfast: Bagel
Snack 1: Banana and Cheese Stick
Lunch: Broccoli and rice, piece of whole wheat bread
Snack 2: Yogurt, plain, with granola and cinnamon
Dinner: Chicken Taco Salad

Exercise: Hopefully a half hour walk, or 35 mintues on the bike. And free weights.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed May 26, 2010 6:13 pm

My modified no-S lifestyle is really helping me control my weight :). By modified, I mean planned snacks. I can't go 6 hours or so between meals - couldn't do it before I was pregnant, either. But no sweets and no seconds definitely helps.

I'm 25 weeks and gained about 14 lbs. I haven't any stretch marks or anything, which is part genetics and part the sloooow weight gain. I expect I'll be 25-30 lbs up by September, which is good.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed May 26, 2010 6:24 pm

Nichole wrote:My modified no-S lifestyle is really helping me control my weight :). By modified, I mean planned snacks. I can't go 6 hours or so between meals - couldn't do it before I was pregnant, either. But no sweets and no seconds definitely helps.

I'm 25 weeks and gained about 14 lbs. I haven't any stretch marks or anything, which is part genetics and part the sloooow weight gain. I expect I'll be 25-30 lbs up by September, which is good.
Plus, you look as if you're eating healthy food for the most part, which is definitely good for growing a baby! :)

(When I was expecting, I had to have food in my stomach at all times or I'd get sick, and remain so the rest of the day. It didn't have to be much, but there was only about a 10-minute window from the "I'm hungry" to "I'm nauseated" stage. I not only planned regular snacks, I kept granola bars or crackers in my purse for emergencies. Wasn't doing No-S then, but I definitely think the "no snacking" rule would have been dropped for the duration!)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu May 27, 2010 12:34 pm

I was nauteous a little bit in the beginning... I just would eat some saltines and that seemed to help. I also had to carry them around. But that's a while ago now. Fortunately I don't feel that way anymore.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri May 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Ho boy, it's Memorial Day weekend. Myself, hubby, also-pregnant-Sister, BIL and niece are going to the Poconos! A weekend of snacking and sinfulness lol! I can't wait. Some people hate vacationing with kids, but I love my niece so much. She says hi to Rachel in my belly and even kissed my belly, unprompted, once! I'll never ever forget that.

Anyway, can't wait to have a couple s'mores, but I hope I don't go overboard. I will try!

Have till only gained about 14.5 lbs. I'm 36.4" around my belly button! In a couple days, it will be less than 100 days to go!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:31 pm

Helloooo! As anticipated, my weight was up on Monday! I was about 153ish. Wowzers! I was definitely dehydrated (no airconditioning down there and probably didn't drink as much as usual) and probably bloated from all the goodies I don't normally eat, both salty and sweet. Oh and I was also ...

But after 4 days of drinking lots of water and normal eating, I'm back to 150ish for a total of 17 lbs gained. Baby's kicking me lots!

Let's go Flyers!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:27 pm

Temptation! One of the artist's daughters baked cookies and are selling them for Haiti relief - how cute! But I'm trying to be good as far as sweets goes, sigh.

Nichole

27.5 weeks pregnant

Post by Nichole » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:51 pm

Doing pretty good at just about 151 lbs.

Menu Today:

-Small homemade muffin, old-fashioned oatmeal with banana and cinnamon
-Chicken and broccoli; whole wheat English Muffin
-Cheese Stick and Unsweetened Apple Sauce
-Before workout snack if needed (handful of Multi Grain Cheerios)
-Salmon with homemade sauce, whole wheat speghetti and ceasar salad

Tons of water.
35 minutes on exercise bike, plus 10 lb free weight exercises (about 10 minutes)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:25 pm

My weight was down 2 lbs today. I know it must be water. It hasn't been as hot and I've been eating healthy.. mostly. I had a RED day because I had a s'more yesterday. But just one.

Today's menu!
Oatmeal with Blueberries
Mustard-crusted salmon (left over from last night), broccoli, whole wheat English Muffin
Snack: Cheese stick & unsweetened apple sauce
Afternoon Snack if needed: Handful of Cheerios
Dinner: Whole grain waffles with strawberries and maybe some breakfast sausages (only 2 for me)

Doing something different for dinner! I also have to make our homemade pizza dough for tomorrow's dinner, but that's easy. I am going to miss homemade dough when the baby comes - I probably won't have the time or energy as I'll be nursing. But after a few months, I intend to add it back in. It'll be premade doughs in the meanwhile.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:16 pm

Doing so well and waffles for dinner were a definite treat! Very different. I made them with whole wheat flour; not sure if I liked that aspect, as it kind of made them taste like pizza dough a bit, hehe. Speaking of pizza dough, making homemade pizza tonight, as usual, with homemade dough.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:34 pm

I am doing good!!!

28 weeks, only 12 more to go (wow).

But my weekends are kinda bad. A little too much indulgence and eating the wrong things results in 4 lb of water weight on Monday morning that isn't gone unti Wednesday/Thursday ish! Tired of seeing the up and down.

Glucose test shows no gestational diabetes. Yes! :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:51 pm

Nichole wrote: I am going to miss homemade dough when the baby comes - I probably won't have the time or energy as I'll be nursing. But after a few months, I intend to add it back in. It'll be premade doughs in the meanwhile.
Good for you for nursing! :)

Have you looked at the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes recipes? The dough can be made in bulk ahead, and it lasts about 2 weeks in the fridge. Might reduce the load enough that you can still do it (but if not, don't beat yourself up!).

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:16 am

KCCC wrote:
Nichole wrote: I am going to miss homemade dough when the baby comes - I probably won't have the time or energy as I'll be nursing. But after a few months, I intend to add it back in. It'll be premade doughs in the meanwhile.
Good for you for nursing! :)

Have you looked at the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes recipes? The dough can be made in bulk ahead, and it lasts about 2 weeks in the fridge. Might reduce the load enough that you can still do it (but if not, don't beat yourself up!).
Thanks! After lots of research and going back and forth, I've decided it's the best decision I can make for the baby. I hope it all works out; I believe it will! I try to visualize a lot, as if that helps (well some people say it does).

I started looking at their site, but didn't get very far! Do you happen to know of one that might be good?

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Nursing is amazingly good for the baby - the more research you do, the more you'll be convinced of it. Do get help if you need it... I'd read all the books, but my baby hadn't, lol, and we had some problems to start out. But once we were through them, it was smooth sailing.

Artisan bread... I have the cookbook, but tend to use just two recipes. The "master recipe," which is a plain white bread that makes a good baguette, and the "olive oil" recipe which can be used for focaccia and pizza as well as bread. If you can't find those, let me know and I'll type them out for you.

I love the idea of whole grain breads, but they take enough longer to rise that it's a problem for me. With the baguette, I can let it rise for 25 minutes while the oven heats, and bake for another 25 (because it's small and skinny) and have bread in an hour. That's about the max I can manage in an evening.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:54 pm

I found the recipes! Thanks a lot! :)

Yesh, I read everything I can get my hands on. I must have read the section on it in "What to Expect" a million times! I am currently reading "So That's What They're For", which is so helpful and packed with info.

My husband's godmother is a nurse/teacher at our hospital's NICU and she says they are very encouraging and supportive of breastfeeding. They'll definitely give me the baby right away to breastfeed right after I give birth. All the nurses are trained in lactation and a consultant visits each mom a few times. They even have a breastfeeding store with all sorts of stuff, like bras and pumps, accessories, etc. My work has a private room for breastfeeding, so I think I will be okay as far as that goes.

My cousin had a baby in May and she said it was tough at first, but they got through it and now they're doing great! So I hope to bring the same determination to the table.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:47 pm

Had mostly a wonderful weekend! Went to OCNJ, one of my favorite places in the world! I even wore a pregnancy bathing suit! If people stared, I didn't notice OR care.

But then I got food poisoning after dinner on Sunday. After throwing up violently for two hours, we went to the ER. They monitored the baby's heartbeat and tried to hydrate me. I threw up a couple more times there---one was projectile! But it wasn't too gross because it was mostly water. Finally around 7 AM, I went home, threw up once during the car ride home. But didn't throw up at all after that. Spent most of Monday in bed, asleep, as did my husband who was up all night with me.

I feel mostly better today. I managed to eat breakfast, some crackers, some canned soup (ew), and some raisins. Not sure what to do about dinner.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:07 pm

Thanks!! I'm mostly better. I still have a bit of a red face from broken blood vessels and a sore throat, which is giving me quite a raspy and hard-to-understand voice. But other than that, I'm good.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:29 pm

Nicole, OCNJ IS a wonderful place and I'm sure you looked lovely in your swim suit! I have kids and grandkids there right now..Just got pics this morning. Wish I would have gone too!!(':roll:')
I will put my 2 cents in @ nursing your baby. wonderful!! for you and the baby. When I had my babies there was only a La Lache paperback book to help me and I did fine. Easily worked through the few little problems that arose. I remember saying my baby would never have a pacifier. The third night we were home, we were searching for a store that was open and sold them! (He just wanted to suck long after his tummy was full so I kept making more and more milk.) so I would say..never say never and be ready with a pacifier!! :wink:
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:39 pm

LOL! Yeah we have a few already from our baby shower. :) I read in my book about what you just wrote about--how some just love to suck for comfort. Seems like a good time to slip in a binkey! My husband's godmother works and teaches in the NICU and says they don't really have too many problems with babies going back and forth between breast and pacifiers. So I'm gonna play it by ear.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:06 pm

My basic pregnancy eating plan:

7:30 am
Breakfast: Usually old fashioned oatmeal with cinnamon and either blueberries or raisins, no sugar

9:30 am
Snack 1: Cheese stick

11:30 or 12
Lunch: Protein and steamed frozen veggies

2 pm
Snack 2: Apple sauce (unsweetened) and whole wheat English muffin

4 pm
Snack 3: Banana or some carbs, if needed (and it usually is because I exercise)

6 pm
Dinner: Protein, veggie, and some sort of whole grain

Voila! Basically eating 3 small meals and 3 small snacks.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:12 pm

I guess yesterday was a FAIL because I baked myself some cookie bars. The craving was overwhelming! But the baking of them was enjoyable. I almost don't even feel bad, lol. The rest of the day was very healthy and my calorie count was still good. So maybe it was more like a yellow day - not quite a fail, but not perfect.

I have been drinking so much water. I drink four 27 oz water bottles while at work, then 3-4 10 oz glasses when I get home. I am just so thirsty! And it keeps my swelling down and my water retention down, which is great.

And I Feel great too. I know I haven't completely cut out sweets from my diet, but I feel better than ever because I try to eat healthy every day. I was almost at that point before I was pregnant, but I pushed it to a new level WHILE pregnant.

BTW I'm 30 weeks and have gained 20 lbs. Right on track.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Me on Sunday after a walk:

Last edited by Nichole on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:17 pm

Thank you for the picture!! You look very healthy, happy, and pregnant!! All good!! :D
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:03 am

Oh my goodness. How fun. You look great. DH & I are trying to get pregnant. Hopefully I can join the ranks.
Congrats
Denise
Denise
restart No S on 4/1 at 132#
goal is 120-123# doing vanilla NoS with Eat Stop Eat on Monday.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:31 am

Thanks guys! I'm having fun with it! Excuse my sweaty pits in this picture! I took it because I wanted something different for my Belly Book that I'm doing:

http://www.amazon.com/Belly-Book-Nine-M ... 0307336182

Best of luck, Denise! I really recommend the above book eventually, if you like to journal. I didn't buy mine until 9 weeks or so because I was paranoid.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:41 am

You look just wonderful! :D How exciting to be coming into the home stretch. 8) My advice would be to pack your bags for the hospital early. I didn't and my DD came 4 weeks early, lol.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:39 pm

Thanks! The exercise helps make me FEEL great! I think I'm going to pack a few things in my bag in a couple of weeks. Can't believe I'll be 8 months pregnant in only 11 days!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:27 pm

Sometimes I think I have to leave this board and never come back.

Comments on the main board about people who snack really IRK ME. I eat healthy snacks between meals. This is my no-s mod. They're usually healthy things such as a cheese stick, cup of unsweetened apple sauce, whole grain english muffin, or banana. I used to do yogurt, but I'm sick of yogurt. They act as if, if you can't go 8 hours between meals, you're weak. Uhhhh, excuse me, but I'm very healthy and I was at a 22 BMI before getting pregnant. I think that people should do what works for them!

P.S. I've even seen people knock skim milk a few times. Skim milk, really??

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:09 pm

ITA that folks need to do what works for them. I'd look at your snacks as planned mini-meals, that you eat consistently as needed, and which totally fall into No S as it is written. (Technically Reinhard never gives a set number of meals, right?) Planned snacks are different from munching on whatever, whenever throughout the day, IMO. :wink:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:15 pm

Yeah I guess that is true. I forget that some people will define snacks differently. I guess what people are mostly referring to is grazing all day? I think I eat about every 2-3 hours. I tend to be more hungry between 7 and 2 PM, then I can go for a while until dinner, most of the time.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:27 pm

I guess what people are mostly referring to is grazing all day? I think I eat about every 2-3 hours. I tend to be more hungry between 7 and 2 PM, then I can go for a while until dinner, most of the time.
Grazing is how I perceive snacking, anyway. :wink: I eat 3 square meals on N Days but I also eat dinner early, around 5:30. If our dinner was much later, I'd definitely need a "planned mini-meal" to tide me over or I'd be an unhappy camper. :roll: :wink: You're doing great and have found what works for you. :D

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:29 pm

I think YOU are a "poster child" for healthy eating. You found what works ..even while pregnant.. and you just do it!!! Maybe those who are so rigid are still finding their way. YOU, on the other hand, have found your path and you stay on it! I hope you don't leave..I think you are and will continue to be an inspiration to many.
Peace Pilgrim

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:09 pm

LOL, I don't think I'm leaving, I just get annoyed sometimes.

My weight actually went down 2 lbs this week. I attribute it to water, definitely!! I'm not eating less at all, by any means. Because the weight I had put on recently was a sudden JUMP coupled with a heat wave. It's been less humid than a couple weeks ago, so I think that is why. The baby is still moving; I'll ask the doctor about it but I think I'm fine.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Hey, girlfriend, I'm back 8)

I caught up on you a bit and you're doing great. So happy that everything is going well, I can well remember when you were planning to try and get pregnant.

Missed you guys, glad to be back on track.

But, WAAAAA, I can't see your picture.

:cry:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:36 am

I just read your post on the main page. So sorry about everything that's happened! Glad to see you around again!

I fixed the picture. I'm not sure what happened!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks Nicole,

You look great, beautifully happy and healthy I would say.

Berry :wink:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks!

People annoy me. Someone at work said I am carrying small simply because it's my first baby. I guess it has nothing to do with the great shape I was in before pregnant, with a 22 BMI, the fact that I haven't stopped exercising, and all the healthy foods I eat. I'm sure that has NOTHING to do with it, hah! People. I wanted to say this, but I held my tounge.

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:04 pm

Hi Nicole,
I think you're doing a great job. I think your ability to stay within the weight gain recommended by doctors is nothing short of miraculous and definately due to all your effort.

I'm not surprised that someone at work said that to you. It seems to me people like to attribute things like weight loss/gain to external factors (it's your first baby, you have "lucky/unlucky" genes, etc.). Sometimes I think it's an excuse for them. If they acknowledge weight loss and healthy weight gain during pregnancy was a personal responsibility thing they would have no excuse for their excess weight gain!
That came out a bit garbled but I think you probably get what I mean.

It's probably wise that you didn't point this out to the commenter, that usually doesn't lead anywhere good.

Keep up your "healthstyle" and ignore the haters!
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks! And the funny thing is, she's pregnant with her second kid, is due before me, and is not too much bigger than me! So her reasoning doesn't even work out lol. I know being a first timer helps, but my both my sisters werehuuuuge and had 10 lb babies their first time, so there is no real "rule" to this theory.

I figured if I had said something it could have turned into a debate. This woman has given me a lot of advice that I haven't agreed with - like supplementing with formula while breastfeeding. Today she suggested Ambien if I continue having trouble sleeping. I was like "uhhh, no, I don't think so." lol. I even told her how a psychiatrist tried to prescribe me that a long time ago and I never filled the perscription because I'm not comfortable with that drug.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:00 pm

Haven't updated in a while.

I'm 33 weeks - 34 on Monday. I've gained almost 22 lbs. More like 21.5. Not too shabby.

Exercise is getting more difficult. I need to REALLY SLOOOOOW it down because I'm getting Braxton Hicks contractions during it, which forces me to take a break, get some water, empty my bladder, then resume again. Yesterday I only did 30 minutes, and a mile or so less than usual. I'm going to try to make it really leisurely today and try to drink a lot and make sure I don't have a full bladder. Then I think I'll take a 2-3 day break.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:09 pm

I now weigh 155 for a grand total of 22 lbs gained.

I'm still doing really well with my healthy eating. Some days I really want to break down and eat an Otis Spunkmeier muffin but I know how bad they are for me. I might make homemade banana muffins this weekend. I don't feel too bad eating a baked good that's homemade because I know it contains wholesome ingredients. Prepackaged baked good gross me out. lol.

I am still exercising, but have slowed down. I did 10 lb weights from May-July, but now I'm back down to 5. I just don't have the energy for the 10 lbs anymore, and besides, What to Expect.com sent an email that said that now is the time to lower the weights temporarily. The exercise bike is still ... okay, but I'm doing a mile less than I used to because I'm going slower.

Here are my "stats", in case you're wondering:

PREGNANCY 12/27/2009 - 9/2010
12/25/2009 133
1/11/2010 135
1/13/2010 135
1/25/2010 135.2
2/9/2010 135.2
2/16/2010 136
2/22/2010 136.2
3/1/2010 137
3/8/2010 137.4
3/17/2010 137.4
3/22/2010 137.8 Week 16
3/29/2010 139 Week 17
4/5/2010 142 18
4/12/2010 142 19
4/19/2010 143 20
4/26/2010 144 21
5/3/2010 146.2 22
5/10/2010 146.2 23
5/17/2010 147.2 24
5/24/2010 147.2 25
5/31/2010 150 26
6/7/2010 151 27
6/16/2010 150 28
6/21/2010 152.8 29
6/28/2010 153 30
7/5/2010 153 31
7/12/2010 153 32
7/19/2010 155 33
7/26/2010 155 34

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:32 pm

You're doing great, Nicole. Not only does it serve you well now, but it will help you during the delivery and recovery period.

And I am certain that the healthy lifestyle is good for the baby.
For sure. :wink:

Cannot believe it is almost time, I can remember last Fall when you were talking about wanting to have a baby.

Almost there, Mom.
Berry

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:58 pm

I hope so! They say by about 37 weeks you stop gaining weight. Maybe I'll even meet my goal of only gaining 25 lbs! I won't be disapointed if I gain a little more than that, though, because I'll still be in the healthy range :).

I can't wait for all the joys and challenges awaiting me in about a month.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:27 am

My thought for today is: Either I ate like crazyyy, which I don't recall, or I'm retaining a lot of water because the scale was up 3 lbs today!

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi Nicole!
Maybe you're just holding a little extra fluid or maybe baby decided to have a growth spurt over the weekend!! You're getting to the point now where baby will do some major growing in the next few weeks.
You have done so well with your pregnancy - eating well and continuing with exercise. All this will help you with your delivery and then recovering following the birth.
Best wishes and blessings to you all...you have so much joy coming your way - savor every minute of it and take lots of pictures!
Keep us posted!
Love,

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:10 am

It went back down - I think I was constipated. They have me on TWO iron supplements in addition to my prenatal vitamin.

This morning I was 155.6. So 22.6 lbs gained, 35 weeks.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Still holding strong at 155.6. :)

Lately I've been worried about L&D, but I have to nip the worrying in the bud because it's making me miserable lol. Positive thoughts.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:16 pm

Nichole wrote:Still holding strong at 155.6. :)

Lately I've been worried about L&D, but I have to nip the worrying in the bud because it's making me miserable lol. Positive thoughts.
Aww, don't worry a bit, adrenelin and excitement will kick in and you will sail right through.

I had four kids in five years so this might be the one topic in the entire world that I truly am an expert on! :D
Berry

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:18 pm

I've gained 25.6 lbs so far. I'm 36 weeks and a couple days. I hope it doesn't increase more!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:01 pm

Still around 158.6. I started at 133. Full term on Monday (37 weeks).

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:32 am

I guess I could check-in :)

Weight is now around 157, though this morning I was about 156.6 to be exact. 24 lbs gained. It's cooled off so I lost some water weight, also it's normal to lose a couple lbs near the end.

38 weeks as of Monday.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:55 pm

Glad to see you Nicole. I always check for updates.
I am getting pretty excited about this baby, how about you :D

Take care of yourself, you've done great!
Berry

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:24 am

Hi Nichole - I love reading your thread. Like Berry, I always check for updates and I am also really excited for you. I think you've done a brilliant job with your weight and health while you've been pregnant. I took advantage and was a glutton when I was pregnant - especially with my second one - and 13 years later I'm still trying to ditch the habits :oops:. So well done and I hope you find time to post after the baby arrives :D

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:22 am

I'm another one who has enjoyed reading your check in. DH and I are going to start TTC our second baby in a few months, and I want to make sure that this time, I don't gain 52 pounds (like I did in my last pregnancy), so I'm glad I read about your eating plan for your pregnancy.

Happyhomemama

Post by Happyhomemama » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi Nicole,
I'm a newbie but I am so excited for you! I love being a mom and your taking such good care of your baby already I'm sure you'll do great! I can't wait for your announcement.:D
clarinetgal wrote:I'm another one who has enjoyed reading your check in. DH and I are going to start TTC our second baby in a few months, and I want to make sure that this time, I don't gain 52 pounds (like I did in my last pregnancy), so I'm glad I read about your eating plan for your pregnancy.

Yeah, that's a good habit to break. I've done it 6 times. :shock: :oops: You don't want to do that, trust me. :lol: (I always said I wasn't going to do that again but actions speak louder than words, weigh more to) 25 pounds of this is from the baby I had last October. I usually have it off by their 1st birthday but I guess I'm not getting any younger. :lol: Hoping I'll be close though, thanks to No S. Best of luck to you both!

ETA- sorry for the hijack :o
Deanna in WA
Mom of 6
5'4" 38 yo
Started No S 8/9/2010
SW: 179.4 (9/5, no scale prior) :)
Began Calorie Counting 10/4 & 178 lbs
CW: 176.6
1st goal: 160
Final Goal: 130

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:30 pm

Thanks all! Still no baby yet, 38 weeks pregnant. I'm really proud that I was able to only gain about 24-25 lbs. It was my goal, but I wasn't sure if a) I could do it or b) if my body would allow me to do it. You hear so much about people eating healthy but their body gaining a lot of weight anyway. Maybe these people just THINK they're eating healthy? Or maybe they just gain weight regardless? Who knows.

She's been moving constantly and my husband thinks she wants out! Every time I feel a bit of pain, I hope it's a contraction but it's usually just a full bladder or gas pain or something. Blaaah. I don't think I've ever wished for pain ever in my whole life and I don't think I ever thought I would actually WISH for pain!

But everything that's of the utmost importance is ready at home, though not truly everything. And I'm almost ready at work. I really tried to work ahead so it would be easy on my team when I am out for two months. So now I'm just waiting.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:26 am

How exciting for you! Are you dilated at all?

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:36 am

Last appt I was 1 cm and 50% effaced..

Happyhomemama

Post by Happyhomemama » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Nichole wrote:Thanks all! Still no baby yet, 38 weeks pregnant. I'm really proud that I was able to only gain about 24-25 lbs. It was my goal, but I wasn't sure if a) I could do it or b) if my body would allow me to do it. You hear so much about people eating healthy but their body gaining a lot of weight anyway. Maybe these people just THINK they're eating healthy? Or maybe they just gain weight regardless?
For me the answer is yes to both. :lol: I did eat healthy but I ate a lot. You can get fat on healthy food and when I am pregnant my body won't let any mistakes slide, it's holding on to everything. What I really think compounded my problem for me though is that prema-snacking on simple carbs keeps the morning sickness away in the first tri. so that's when I gained the excess weight each time. It's hard not to eat when the alternative is feeling quite green. :? For the most part if I wouldn't have gained excessively in the first trimesters I would have been on target because I only gained a pound or so a week but unfortunately from the beginning of the pregnancy not starting in the second tri. :roll: I will also admit to giving myself a bit of license now and then when cravings kicked in. :D

Your doing so great and I'm so excited for you!
Deanna in WA
Mom of 6
5'4" 38 yo
Started No S 8/9/2010
SW: 179.4 (9/5, no scale prior) :)
Began Calorie Counting 10/4 & 178 lbs
CW: 176.6
1st goal: 160
Final Goal: 130

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:29 pm

Thanks!

I tried not to go crazy with eating in the 1st trimester, even when I felt nauseous. Just ate a couple Saltines & dealt with it, kinda. I knew the baby was super tiny and didn't need much extra food so I tried to eat like normal.

I'm 24.6 - 25 lbs gained about now. That's fine! 39 weeks on Monday.

2 cm and 80% effaced. They think the baby is 7 lbs.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:02 pm

I can't wait until your baby is born. :D

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:23 pm

39 weeks and still waiting...

Weight gain has stopped. 157.6 again. It was up a little bit the other day, but it was just water. I wish labor would start! It hurts to walk today.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:30 pm

Oh you're getting so-o-o-o-o close! And due on Labor Day, of all the days! Ha! I never made the connection until now...sometimes I'm so slow!
Best wishes - could be any time now! Keep us posted!