Nichole's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nichole

Nichole's Daily Check-In

Post by Nichole » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:29 pm

About Me:

I'm Nichole and I'm 23 years old -- I'll be 24 on November 6. I'm getting married in December and one of the things that initially inspired me to try to lose weight back in January was the fact that I no longer fit in the wedding dress I bought!!

Well, I started exericising again and got down to 147. Then, I found the No-S diet in May, which helped me shed a few more lbs -- down to 145, sometimes 144. I now fit in my dress BETTER than when I originally bought it at David's Bridal!

I've been pretty lax these days and while I haven't gained any weight, I haven't lost any either! And my fluctuations are soooo bad again because of how I eat well for a few days, then kind of go crazy with sweets and snacks. It's not as bad as it sounds, however, and I did stick with a lot of the No-S basics. Just I've been eating too much ice cream.

I've been straying away from the exercise bike in search of a new exercise routine, which I help will also get me off of my plateau. I've done tons of research on jogging and I've recently started. I hope that it brings the results that I seek!

I would LOVE to get down to between 140 and 135. I'm only 5'4" and I am at the highest healthy weight for my height and I am not happy about that! I want to be in the safe zone of a healthy weight. Now that the pressure is off and I fit into my dress, I don't intend to be too hard on myself is I slip up.

Nichole :D

UPDATE: I'm married, it went well! I've gone up to 150ish and I'm starting to think that may be muscle, beings that I have been biking since December 2007 now. I'd like to get to 145 but I don't know if it's in the cards. I am on No-S, however, to keep my weight stable and down. And I have a big sweet tooth so I need something to get me to eat less sugar and No-S is reasonable enough for that.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... highlight= (for me)

UPDATE: 9/14/09-- I've been 133 for a few weeks now. I've lost 17 lbs since May 2009. :)

UPDATE: 5/12/10 - I've been pregnant since December :). Due September 6. I maintained 133 for four months, and now I'm slowly gaining weight for the baby. No-S Modified helps me to gain slowly.
Last edited by Nichole on Wed May 12, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Nichole

August 25

Post by Nichole » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:22 pm

Monday, August 25

BREAKFAST: 9:30 AM
  • Small Iced Coffee
    McCann's Instant Irish Oatmeal -- Apples and Cinnamon
LUNCH: 12:30 PM
  • Baked barbeque boneless, skinless chicken breast
    Steamed Veggies
DINNER:8 PM
  • Turkey
    Rice pilaf (mmmm)
AFTER-WORK EXERCISE:
  • Exercise bike -- 30 minutes, over 6 miles
I am not going to count my days.

2:07 PM --- There is a lucious chocolate cake on the buffet at work... I will not touch it! :)

My goal today is to not head straight for the kitchen after I get home from work like I have been the last month. It is not worth it -- plus the homemade banana chocolate chip brownies I made on Saturday are on the stove in there. Too much temptation. (Edit: I did it! )

Nichole

August 26

Post by Nichole » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:57 pm

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

BREAKFAST: 9:00 AM
  • McCann's Instant Irish Oatmeal -- Apples and Cinnamon
Twining's English Breakfast Tea w/Splenda

LUNCH: 12:30 PM
  • 1/2 Baked barbeque boneless, skinless chicken breast
    3/4 cup Steamed Veggies
    6 oz Yoplait Original Strawberry Banana Yogurt
CHEAT! -- small piece of cake and piece of pizza :( Oh well.

DINNER:7:30 PM
  • Taco Salad with chicken
AFTER-WORK EXERCISE:
Planning on a walk/run
Did end up doing a 20 minute walk/run

I am really looking forward to an S-Event tomorrow: a wedding shower! Two people in my department are getting married --- to each other. We all pitched in for cake and a gift card. It will be a homemade cake by a wife of a guy in our department. She makes beautiful and great cakes!

I am really enjoying jogging, though it's difficult while I'm doing it. I always sleep really well a night after a jog.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:25 pm

I did well yesterday! Kinda. I had cake at a shower and a peppermint patty (big woop) after dinner. But no snacks or anything. :)

Today I had
Breakfast: Oatmeal and small iced coffee (D.D.) with Splenda
Lunch: My baked chicken on whole wheat with bbq sauce (a little bit) and provolone cheese.. And for energy, my steamed veggies
Dinner: ??? Don't know yet.

So far, it's 2:30 and I feel WONDERFUL. Having more veggies and more protein at lunch has done wonders for my energy level. That makes me happy.

Hopefully I'll go on my jog today after work. But I have wedding on the brain!!!!! I want to go to A.C.Moore and get the ink I need, but that takes time out of my relaxing and exercising and all the other stuff I do. But the long weekend is coming up and I need to go there TOMORROW anyway to take advantage of a Fri/Sat coupon. I have to start addressing invitations... I'm doing calligraphy myself.

Weigh-in this morning: 145 lbs.

Dinner: A wrap with fries. OOooh.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:22 pm

Friday, August 29

I finally did another week of No-S! It wasn't perfect, but it was definitely No-S. I definitely didn't have ice cream every night like I had been.

I feel slimmer because my clothes are feeling better. My undies fall off my butt when I'm just bumming around. (Too much info? Sorry; but I doubt anyone is reading this.) But it's not showing up on the scales.

Also, it MAY be my imagination, but my abs look a LOT better. More toned and there's more shape there.

Today I'm doing the same as the last two days for Breakfast and Lunch; dinner is my wild card, which is what keeps my eating lifestyle interesting.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:29 pm

Tuesday, September 2

I did reasonably well over Labor Day weekend, except for at a party on Saturday where I must have had a million calories and I had that constant over-stuffed feeling. I don't know why I did that to myself.

But other than that day, I hardly snacked or ate when I didn't want to. Had small portions of ice cream for dessert. It was a good and fun weekend. Treated myself to a medium chocolate milkshake at McDonalds on Sunday.. it was delicious. Hadn't had one in ages.

I exercised on two of the three days. I took a break yesterday because my back was hurting me. But I actually did do my free weight exercises while watching Gossip Girl, so it wasn't a total skip.

Today:
B: Oatmeal
L: Roast beef, pasta salad, and maybe some yogurt (these are all very small portions)
D: ?

Exercise: Hopefully I'll get out there for a longer jog/walk. We shall see.
Last edited by Nichole on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:07 pm

Wow, 120 views. I KNOW they're not all from me!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:19 pm

I had a perfect No-S day yesterday and so far today! :)

Tonight I want to walk/jog, though I have some wedding stuff to do. The exercising really helps with all the stress right now.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:38 pm

I ended up doing 35 minutes on the exercise bike -- 7 miles --- yesterday. It was too hot outside and my legs really hurt the last time I jogged (Tues) so they got another break. Today we'll see. I think I'll do a 15 minute jog and 10 minute or so arm exercises w/my weights.

It was a succesful day yesterday except for the teaspoon of ice cream! It gets me through. I don't count it as a failure. It's a teaspoon!

Today's plan
DD Iced coffee with Splenda
Water

B: Bluberry pancakes w/sugar free syrup
L: Chicken and veggies
D: Two pieces of pizza and maybe side salad.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:47 pm

Wanted to check in.

Everything is going really well. Not a lot of slip ups. We're having dessert and coffee at my sister's house tonight though.......eek.

Last night I almost didn't exercize but ended up exercizing at 10 pm!!! Jeez I'm crazy. I just did 20 minutes because I didn't want to feel guilty. I slept well, though! :)

BTW, numerous people have told me that I look thinner. :) Must be the jogging and the No-S!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:07 pm

Yesterday was a SUCCESS ..... I didn't even have my afternoon snack. I so desperately wanted some ice cream after watching American Idol, but resisted.

My weight today was 147.5. Two weeks ago I was 151. Thank you No-S Diet! For some reason when I get on this diet and stick to it, it brings my weight back on track right away.

After I jumped up to 156 after my wedding, honeymoon and Christmas in December, I was pretty bummed. I had to try to lose the weight again. But my health is important to me so I am never going to give up maintaining a healthy weight. It's worth it.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:28 pm

So far so good today! Can't wait to have pizza tonight. 2 pieces only!!!!!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:47 pm

I am hungry!!!! But resisting.

I've been exercising at 5:30 in the morning so I can concentrate on just doing stuff aruond the house, making dinner, then relaxing, at night. Drawback: You fall asleep at 9:00 PM. I want to watch American Idol though!

Tonight's homemade dinner: Tuna Quiche. Yumm!

EDIT: Yesterday was a SUCCESS! I had my one snack, a cheese stick, before dinner. Dinner was tuna quiche and ceasar salad. But otherwise, all was well. I had to talk myself (aloud) out of not eating the Girl Scout Cookie Ice Cream we have in the freezer. My husband heard me! It was an embarassing newlywed moment for me.
Last edited by Nichole on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:33 pm

TODAY was good so far. My breakfast was a whole wheat bagel with sugar free strawberry preserves *yum*. I'm liking the timer on my coffee maker. :) I can't decide on my schedule.... Working out at 5:30 in the morning is HARD b/c I'm exhausted, not a morning person, and can't get into it that early. In the afternoon, I have more energy and my muscles are warm, but I have to make dinner, too. I find myself less bored at night when I exercise for a half hour/45 minutes. Now it's just deciding when to squeeze it in. Before dinner, after dinner...?

Lunch: Leftover tuna quiche and small cesar salad.

Dinner tonight: Homemade shrimp scampi w/ceasar salad. Yummers! I love cooking! :)

I am so HUNGRY today!!

EDIT: The scrimp scampi was wonderful and would do it again. Today is a FAILURE, however, because I had a little bit of ice cream... :(. Did 1/2 hour on exercise bike, 7 miles.
Last edited by Nichole on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nichole

3/19/09

Post by Nichole » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:22 pm

Today is good so far. I had a whole wheat bagel with low fat garden veggie cream cheese for breakfast and 6 oz of orange juice. Yum!!

Lunch: Scrimp scampi left overs
Dinner: Homemade pizza! Basically, whole wheat pizza crust, sauce, and low fat mozerella cheese. I'm putting fresh tomatoes and mushrooms on mine and Justin will have his plain.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:09 pm

It was a good weekend; hopefully not too out of control. My pants still fit, lol!

Looking forward to making dinner tonight (Buffalo chicken salad) and watching Twilight with my hubby! :)

EDIT: When I got home from ACME, justin was in the mood for Chinese, so we ordered Chinese. I however only had half of my meal and the rest I will enjoy on 3/17 for lunch. :)
Last edited by Nichole on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:07 pm

I finally had what I can consider a GREEEEEN week day! Yes!

EDIT: 2:06 PM -- I am hungry. This is when I would normally grab a snack.

Today was a SUCCESS!!!! :) I had a nice dinner of buffalo chicken wrap salad. I made it a not-oversized portion and was truly full and satisfied at the end of the meal. Romaine lettuce really helps me in terms of feeling satisfied and full. Leafy greens, people, leafy greens.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:39 pm

Today has been good so far. Coffee and a bagel for breakfast. I will have a Healthy Choice quesadilla for lunch and tuna quiche w/ceasar salad for dinner. :) Also, bagels have been fun, but I am probably going back to cereal soon. Bagels and cream cheese are so high in fat.

EDIT: I usually hold off lunch until 12 o'clock because then it's smooth sailing until dinner, with maybe a no-fat hot chocolate in between. But today I was sooo hungry that my stomach was growling audibly and I could feel it churning. So I had my quesadilla, but two come in the box, and 1 is hardly a meal, so if I get hungry in a couple hours, I will eat the other one. I'll consider it splitting my lunch in half. But I won't take it as a failure today.

So far, it's almost 2 and I still don't feel like having that second quesadilla. There are some nice looking snacks on the buffet, but they are all store-made/factory made so resistence has been easy.

Another GREEN day, yeah!! Oh and I never had that second quesadilla... though I DID have a second cup o coffee.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:37 pm

So far so good today. Got to work early - yaay! So I'll be leaving at 3:15. That's a lot of time to be at home not eating..!! Anyway, I had a bagel for breakfast w/cream cheese, will have that other quesadilla and small cesar salad. For dinner, I'm making shrimp and broccolli over couscous. Yumm! It was a success when I made it last week; looking forward to it. It makes me feel really good that hubby likes my cooking. I made dough for Friday's pizza last night. It was easy and fun! Most of the time is inactive, just waiting for it to rise. It would have taken too long to do it on Friday before cooking it up. It takes two hours to rise. So I made it yesterday while relaxing and doing other things, then wrapped it tightly in plastic wrap for Friday. On Fri, all I have to do is put it together and cook it for about 10 minutes or so. Can't wait!!

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:56 pm

Hey Nichole, it sounds like you're doing a great job. Also, congratulations on your upcoming event.

I'm also a runner/jogger. I've only been doing it for about six months, but I've found that running before a meal works out better, since you can use the meal to recover from the run (especially if the meal is full of protein). Also, and I hope this isn't too personal, running right after eating can result in certain...eh...digestive problems, if you know what I mean. It's lovingly called "runner's trots," and it's wicked uncomfortable.

If you haven't had any kind of problems with that, then good deal. Generally, the rule for runners is, if you ran today, you had a good day, regardless of when/how/for how long.

Anyway, yeah, you're doing great. *thumbs up*
8-bit is still awesome.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:36 pm

Heeey! Thank you! :) I just moved into my own apartment w/my husband and I'm really enjoying cooking. Anyway, I haven't jogged since winter hit; those were older posts. But the weather is getting nicer so maybe I'll try again soon. I've been doing a stationary recumbant bike all winter, though. I do that before dinner. :) Good to know that after dinner might cause indigestion, certainly don't need that! It's too dark after dinner anyway and I fell once (tripped on sidewalk) and almost wrecked my ipod - good thing I use a case. So I don't exercise outside after dinner anymore!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:32 pm

Yesterday was GREEN!!! I had a tablespoon of ice cream before bed but I do not count that as a failure. :) I like that I can have ice cream in the freezer, one thing of it, and it lasts weeks. Justin goes through 3 things of ice cream a week (eek!).

Today I have an S-Event. It's March b-days at Work today. We're having Dairy Queen ice cream cake. Yummo! So I'll have a little piece of that.

B: Everything bagel w/veggie cream cheese
L: Healthy Choice broccolli and cheedar potatoes
D: Veggie pizza made with homemade dough.

I can't wait to see how the homemade crust I made tastes!! :) It's amazing what cooking your own food and it tasting really good does for your self-esteem. It does truly amazing things & I recommend it to anyone interested in cooking. "Anyone can cook" - Ratatouille.

Also, my weight has not gone down. However, I have been working out on a regular basis since December 2007, so I think it could be a lot of muscle? I'm 150 but who KNOWS how much of that is muscle. I know I have a lot in my legs from the bike and some in my arms. I'm considering doing Ab-Ripper X which is on the P90X DVDs once or twice a week.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:07 pm

Yes, I clearly can't read dates. :?

So, to rephrase what I said earlier, congratulations on your big even that you celebrated last year.

Everything bagels are winners. Just glancing at your meals, I have to ask - are you a pescetarian? I ask because I am too, and it might be interesting to meet someone else who eats this way. There are relatively few pescetarians in the world (at least that I've encountered).

Just curious.

And yeah, that whole fat vs. muscle thing is almost certainly the culprit. With everything you're doing diet-and-exercise-wise, there's no WAY you're not slimming down.

(PS: How is P90X anyway? I love those infomercials.)
8-bit is still awesome.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:26 pm

Nah, I'm not pescetarian... I have never even seen that word until right now. I had to google it. We have been eating more seafood, but I do like cooking with chicken breasts... Sounds like an interesting way of eating though! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism

And P-90X is.. challenging and Tony Horton is a hoot. I don't do it - my husband got it for Christmas and doesn't use it, just like I thought he wouldn't. I think he may be waiting until we're done unpacking (we just moved this month) and we have an extra room (right now it's full of boxes). The thing is, the workouts are over an hour long, and then Ab-Ripper X is an additional 15 minutes on top of the workout! I would like to throw in some of the cardio workouts once in a while for some variety and I'd like to TRY to do the Ab-Ripper during the week. I really neglect my abs... But as it stands I don't do it because I can't be spending nearly an hour and half exercising every day, lol.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:23 am

Great Day!
B: Bagel and chocolate milk
L: left over veggie pizza - by the way, the homemade pizza crust was AWESOME and I will be making it again ....
D: Chicken cheese steak on Amoroso's roll with HOMEMADE prepared carmalized onions and sauteed peppers and part skim mozzerella cheese, with a side ceasar salad and some chips
Sweet!!!!!!! Small bowl of ice cream, about 3 scoops with chocolate syrup and cool whip.

that's about it. I cooked for a group for the first time today in our new apartment. My MIL, who hasn't seen me in a week, said I look like I've lost weight!! Hmm!!!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:06 pm

So, yesterday:

Bagel w/sugar free strawberry preserves
Medium Iced Coffee w/cream/sugar
Irish Soda Bread
Sausage and pepper sandwich at Franklin Institute w/water
Small coffee w/cream/sugar
3 pieces pizza
1 Piece of cheesecake from this cute store we found next to the Franklin Institute

Not too bad, I don't think.

Today:
Coffee w/cream/sugar
Life cereal w/skim milk
Leftover chicken cheesesteak with peppers and onions
Dinner: Shrimp scampi with whole grain pasta and ceasar salad

And that'll be about it. We'll see how I do!!

BTW I think I've lost the taste for Coffee Mate flavored creamers. Yuck.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Nichole wrote:BTW I think I've lost the taste for Coffee Mate flavored creamers. Yuck.
I'm sorry, I simply do not understand this sentence. Did something happen with your Coffee Mate creamers? Did you read the ingredients list? Never read the ingredients list for products you like.

I'm partly kidding, because I actually agree with you to an extent - but I guess I still think they taste awesome. Too awesome, in fact.

And oooh. Irish soda bread. Sounds like you had a good weekend.
8-bit is still awesome.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:44 pm

VintageGeek wrote:
Nichole wrote:BTW I think I've lost the taste for Coffee Mate flavored creamers. Yuck.
I'm sorry, I simply do not understand this sentence. Did something happen with your Coffee Mate creamers? Did you read the ingredients list? Never read the ingredients list for products you like.

I'm partly kidding, because I actually agree with you to an extent - but I guess I still think they taste awesome. Too awesome, in fact.

And oooh. Irish soda bread. Sounds like you had a good weekend.
They've just been tasting too sweet for me lately.... I don't know what it is. And yes it was a great weekend! Went to see the Chronicles of Narnia exhibit at the Franklin Institute (Philadelphia) this weekend. Very fun.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:54 pm

Oh I'm also happy because I'm finally back to doing weights again (been kind of laxed with these the last 3 weeks)! My arms are ready for the 10 lbs but I don't think my chest is.. because my chest hurt a couple days afterwards. Unless I had bad form which is a definite possibility.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:44 am

Ok so yesterday was good. :) However, I think I may be undermining my weight loss efforts. In an effort to eat more "real food," the last few days I've been using sugar instead of Splenda and full-fat creamer. About 2x a day. This probably isn't good for me, right? I use about 4 tsp. of sugar (64 calories) in my morning coffee and two in the afternoon. The half-and-half is probably about 150+ calories. So basically any calories I've been saving by not eating snacks, I'm replacing with my coffee! Not good! Ugh. I wish I could learn to love black coffee. I will probably go back to Splenda and fat-free creamer. Or I'll just stop drinking coffee all together.

But my weight has been holding steady, not going up or down really. Though one morning I was 148 but this morning it said 150.5 or something like that, but that's normal for me. But my scale's batteries are dying and need to be replaced, I just keep forgetting.

Yesterday I did about 15 minutes of weights and abs and then 20 minutes on the exercise bike. Dinner was delicious shrimp scampi and ceasar salad, which my husband complimented me on. Except he doesn't like spicy food, soooo he didn't appreciate the fresh ground pepper! Meanwhile, mine was full of red pepper flakes, hehe.

It was an overall successful day.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:03 pm

TODAY:

Coffee w/half and half and sugar
Bagel with cream cheese
Healthy Choice Meal
Tuna Quiche w/cesar salad

There is some apple pie on the buffet at work and it looks SO TEMPTING. I would love to steal a piece and put it in the microwave. OMG. I love apple pie and hardly EVER have it. :(

Since I was curious, I analyzed everything except dinner. 655 calories. Plus 1 plate at dinner. Not too bad. I feel better knowing I really am not stacking up on the calories.

la_loser

A chance to practice making it yourself!

Post by la_loser » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:11 pm

Now, little miss new homemaker. . . you just take this as a cue to make you and your new hubby an apple pie this weekend or a cobbler, yum, and add some vanilla ice cream to the top and really enjoy it!

It's bound to be better than that buffet one!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Nichole

Re: A chance to practice making it yourself!

Post by Nichole » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:19 pm

LA_Loser wrote:Now, little miss new homemaker. . . you just take this as a cue to make you and your new hubby an apple pie this weekend or a cobbler, yum, and add some vanilla ice cream to the top and really enjoy it!

It's bound to be better than that buffet one!

Hmmm, I've never made apple pie before. I wonder if you HAVE to have an apple peeler/corer to do so? Hmm.

I found a great site! Doesn't sound too hard (I would cheat and buy premade crust, hehe...). http://www.myhomecooking.net/apple-pie/

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:31 pm

*weeps a little*

Do we really need to be talking about apple pie on TUESDAY?!

I'm kidding. It's good to plan these things so you don't end up just baking batch after batch of cookies the whole weekend. See, the problem with that kind of thing is that, come Monday, there might be one or two cookies leftover, and then what do you do? ;-)

Make the apple pie, Nichole! Then post a picture so we can all drool over it.
8-bit is still awesome.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:49 pm

I know, right! PLUS someone at work's birthday is today and a friend made her chocolate cheesecake cupcakes. wtf! Lol. My mom is going to let me borrow her apple peeler/corer (any that I order won't be here til too late and I won't pay for rush shipping). I will get my own though, since I love apple pie. I'm excited! I've wanted to try making one for a while.

And speaking of pictures, I have taken lots of pictures of my homemade dinner creations but have been way too lazy to post them to my flickr or facebook, haha.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:19 pm

O.O Is there a recipes thread somewhere? Because I think that exchanging hearty, filling, one-plate recipes would be a really excellent idea.
8-bit is still awesome.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:44 pm

Or pie recipes! Wait, maybe not.

Seriously, I'd love a recipe thread. It will be so much less grim than the recipes threads I used to frequent on the Weight Watchers boards. Let us not speak of the dreaded "Diet Coke Chicken."

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:46 am

So yesterday was very good, except for the two tablespoons of ice cream I ate! :p

About Coffee: My coffee has been tasting GROSS. At first I blamed French Vanilla Coffee Mate, so I bought regular half-and-half, then it still tasted nasty, so I used more sugar the next day - STILL NASTY. My conclusion is that Java Delight coffee from Acme is DISGUSTING. I am currently using Buck's County Coffee, a local coffee, at work. It is good. Just regular Coffee Mate and some sugar and it's good. So I won't be buying that other brand anymore, no matter how cheap it is. No wonder it's always on sale! So it'll either be Buck's County, Dunkin Donuts, or sometimes even Starbuck's grinds (which are usually REALLY expensive) for me.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:05 pm

Thalia wrote:"Diet Coke Chicken."
What? Ew.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:01 pm

Yesterday was okay. Had a bit of fat free frozen yogurt at the mall. I'm pretty sad today; had an argument with my husb. There's a lot going on. :(

marleah

Post by marleah » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:43 pm

It's always so hard to keep up with everything on those bad days. Sorry to hear about the argument - but keep it up! You are doing great.
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:14 pm

Thanks... :) We're doing better now and talked. I'm really craving some chocolate now. Just ate lunch, so that's why. I would LOVE to have some chocolate Chex Mix, which is in the vending machine here at work. Mmmm.

marleah

Post by marleah » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:20 pm

Eh, it wouldn't be as good as you think it is. Guilt-related snacks are so disappointing. :wink:
- vegan grad student -

Nichole

OBSESSION

Post by Nichole » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:58 pm

I just want to say that I think I am obsessed with my weight, food, and trying to stay thin. This doesn't matter if I'm on No-S or not. A lot of people say No-S cures this, but not me. This worries me. I don't like being obsessed with anything.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:02 pm

I baked an apple pie for tomorrow night. I can't wait to try it!!!!

marleah

Post by marleah » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:35 pm

Haha, tomorrow morning I am going to bake banana bread for a friend's makeshift bridal shower. I like limiting these things to the weekend not just for S-days, but also because that's when I actually have the time to do it!

If it doesn't get all eaten (smirk) I will take the rest to work on Monday.
- vegan grad student -

marleah

Post by marleah » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:31 pm

How was the pie and how is your week going? :D
- vegan grad student -

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Ahh, the pie was sooo good. Only half got eaten, so I took the other half to work. Also, we only keep Splenda on hand, so I made it w/Splenda.. I was afraid how it would turn out, but it was wonderful! :) No one could tell the difference.

Today has been good:
Breakfast: Cereal/Milk
Lunch: Shrimp and Broccoli w/couscous
Dinner: Buffalo Chicken Wrap Salad

I have had a lot of red days but I will turn that around. :)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:22 pm

I'M REALLY HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT tonight I am going to have pizza and ceasar salad so I must hold off... I have had such a bad week food wise - I have just been so hungry! I had ice cream yesterday. Ugh! I want to lose my belly so bad.

Ok now that that freak out is over ...

marleah

Post by marleah » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:02 pm

You're doing great! Those red days (and just all around tough days) are bound to happen. But sticking to it will be worth it! Your dinner sounds great.
- vegan grad student -

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:34 pm

I had my first GREEN day all week yesterday, yaaaay. I almost ate some ice cream, but I recognised that it was emotional eating, so I held off.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:36 pm

I have been doing a lot of thinking. I would really like to lose 10 lbs (who doesn't?) but sometimes I just want to give up. I have been 140 recently - 2007 I believe. But that was also a time where I was on my feet for 10 hours a week working at Boston Market. Then scrubbing vigorously for a half hour after the store closed. That must have burnt a LOT of calories... Because as soon as I got a desk job my weight settled back up again. I exercise a lot - about 5 days aweek, between 30-45 minutes each time. I just feel like my belly is too big. I need to go back to that post where people were saying that I look good the way I am & other would like to look like that. But I always think that if I lose 10 lbs, then I will be less likely to be overweight one day. Who knows.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:34 pm

I did NOT have a totally crazy Easter. Though I had sweets, it wasn't an insane amount. And I didn't eat seconds except for my salad. I was so full from lunch that I had no desire for dinner. So it was a good holiday - Yaaaay!!!! :) Maybe this is my first step in the right direction again?

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:43 pm

Yesterday I did great! Oatmeal for breakfast, salad for lunch, and buffalo chicken wrap salad for dinner. All was made from SCRATCH! Amazing! had a tiny bit of chocolate after dinner, but that was it. I didn't exercise because I have been quite exhausted lately. It was nice to just relax and be able to get some chores done. Today, I plan to do at least 30 minutes on the bike, some weight training (about 15 minutes), and to bake something for dinner (Tuna Quiche). On the days where my exercising is a little longer I like to pair it up with an easy meal for dinner. :)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:17 pm

Had another good day yesterday and so far today is good. Had banana bread for breakfast, tuna quiche with a salad for lunch. Except I'm annoyed because I'm eating with my inlaws and they are getting take out. Ugh! Take out is so fattening. I almost don't even want it. Wonder what I should do. Maybe I'll get a salad? That might be a good idea. Hope my MIL doesn't laugh so loud and talk so much I can't hear "the office."

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:24 pm

Had a great day yesterday! :) Hopefully I'll have another good day today. So far so good. Had banana bread slice for breakfast, salad for lunch, and dinner will be pizza. Yaay!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:34 pm

I've been.. pretty good, except for the Blizzard I ate on Friday night!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:51 pm

Yesterday was definitely successful. I felt tempted to eat some ice cream but didn't :). I made two new recipies : roast chicken and roast potatoes. Both were so good and so easy! I exercised while the chicken and potatoes were in the oven. That's what I love about baking your meal - it gives you half hour/fourty-five minutes to get other stuff accomplished.

marleah

Post by marleah » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:40 pm

Mmmm ... roasted potatoes sounds really good. I do love baking or roasting meals, except when I want to eat NOW! :)
- vegan grad student -

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:19 pm

marleah wrote:Mmmm ... roasted potatoes sounds really good. I do love baking or roasting meals, except when I want to eat NOW! :)
Lol, ever since we got our own place in March i've been making easy homemade dinners. I'm so surprised at how much I love it! I even have a cute apron to cook in, lol.

Yesterday was good! Oatmeal, Chicken Ceasar Salad, Tuna Quiche w/ceasar salad. I had a lot of ceasar salad yesterday! Had no sweets or seconds. Yay!

Weighed this morning and I was 147.5. Awesome!

I am worried about this weekend. We are going camping for three days. That is three days of s'mores and beer. I don't drink a lot anyway, I hate the feeling of being drunk, but I'm still worried. Luckily, my brother in law doens't really drink either, nor my sister, and so I won't be the odd person out. :) Beer is just too many calories and I can't really justify having more than one. And, like I said, I don't enjoy being drunk. I hope I don't go overboard on s'mores though ;).

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:55 pm

Yesterday was another great day :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:03 pm

Nichole wrote:Yesterday was definitely successful. I felt tempted to eat some ice cream but didn't :). I made two new recipies : roast chicken and roast potatoes. Both were so good and so easy! I exercised while the chicken and potatoes were in the oven. That's what I love about baking your meal - it gives you half hour/fourty-five minutes to get other stuff accomplished.
I like doing that when I'm home... doesn't work on weekdays. But when I do, the "lag time" between cooking and eating makes me feel that someone else cooked for me! (Ditto for crockpot cooking, though my repertoire there is thin.)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:57 pm

It was an okay weekend. I'm really struggling with my self esteem these days. Went camping, saw pictures and my first thought when looking at the pictures was how ugly/fat I look to me. I feel like I'm so shallow, because I'm so much more than that. My husband loves me, my nieces and nephews adore me, my mom's proud of who I am... I am not "fat", so why should looks matter so much to me? I hate it. *sigh*.

Today I'll be having oatmeal, a salad, then a footlong at Subway for dinner to support the Chuck vs the Footlong campaign to attempt to save the NBC show, Chuck. :)

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:13 pm

Of course your husband and nieces and nephews and your mom adore you. You're a good person, and it doesn't matter to them at all what you look like.

Looking or feeling "unhealthy" doesn't just affect your body. It can screw with your mind as well. People who have a feeling that they aren't as healthy as they could be (whether they perceive themselves to be overweight or underweight or chronically ill or whatever) generally feel exactly the way you're describing. It's sort of your body's cue to your brain that you need to either get to a point physically where you can feel healthy again, or you need to alter your perception of what healthy really is.

But also keep in mind that paying attention to one's looks is anything but shallow...on the contrary, it's quite deeply rooted in human genetics. Regardless of the fact that you know you're with the man you love, and will be forever, as long as you're of childbearing age, you're going to be sort of hard-wired for seeking out a mate. Of course, your brain can overcome the more overt sexual advances, but don't feel bad about the fact that you want to appear attractive to others. It's a completely normal thing. It probably can be "fixed" with a lot of hard work, but frankly I found it was easier to just accept it and move on.

So that's what I have to say after being gone for a month. :roll:

You're doing great. Keep it up, and don't worry about a thing!
8-bit is still awesome.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:32 pm

I've just recently put together a little photo album to give myself an uplift when I need it. I put in pictures of myself when I was thinner and looked great, one that I felt good about now (there was only one!) and some magazine pictures of women that look great and look kinda like me. It's a great incentive and self-esteem boost from the self-put-downs I usually give myself. I needed a visual goal. :wink:
I think I'll post about that for others that need an idea. Let me know if it works for you!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:06 pm

Usually seeing thinner pictures of myself makes me feel worse and down. But even when I was 135, years ago, I carried weight in my face. I've always had difficulties with thinking myself as "attractive".

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:15 pm

Checking in again.

It's great weather outside. I think I'm going to try to walk today!! I would love a slight tan and to break away from the bike. It's my first time walking around my neighborhood, though, but it's a nice hood so I should be okay.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:41 pm

Yesterday was good! Except I had a packet of peanuts. I was feeling tired and weak. So I think that's a damn good "excuse".

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:18 pm

Yes, weak is bad. It was a good call, and definitely a better choice than a chocolate bar, which is what I surely would have reached for immediately.
8-bit is still awesome.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:55 pm

VintageGeek wrote:Yes, weak is bad. It was a good call, and definitely a better choice than a chocolate bar, which is what I surely would have reached for immediately.

lol. I figured peanuts would help with my energy ... and they were the closest things to a healthy snack in our vending machine.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:28 am

It was a good day.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:26 pm

So far so good today! Had oatmeal for breakfast, just ate my salad for lunch, and for dinner I'm making shrimp and broccoli with rice. Yummers!!! :) I'm looking forward to our bbq on Saturday.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:15 pm

I REALLY WANT CHOCOLATE.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:23 pm

Okay, time to admit something. I've been TRYING to eat less carbs. As a result I don't think I'm eating enough at lunch. I felt SO HUNGRY around 2-3 and I'm not eating dinner til about 6:30, so I had a soft pretzel. I feel a lot better now.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:48 pm

Yeah, I did South Beach for a while, and even though I dropped inches like a bad habit (ha!) I felt like killing myself the whole time I was on the damn thing. And at that time, I was working out of my apartment and therefore able to eat all day. So I know how you feel.
8-bit is still awesome.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:22 pm

I didn't have any sweets yesterday :) So it wasn't a total failure. I am good today, brought enough food to work to satisfy me. It's 230 and I don't feel like I'm starving - I had left over shrimp and broccoli w/rice pilaf for lunch, plus a low-fat granola bar. :) Tonight for dinner is our usual once a week tuna quiche.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:25 pm

Oh and I'm just ITCHING to get home and start my new chalk pastel drawing. It's going to be a large Judy Garland portrait and I'm really going to take my time to make something great. I want to hopefully hang it on one of our many walls. I Know if I put thought into it it can be great.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:47 pm

Judy Garland was a sexy woman. Post a picture when you're done.

Also, I love quiche. I'd need a pretty big slice to avoid seconds though. That's one of those foods for me...Mmmmmmm.
8-bit is still awesome.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri May 01, 2009 2:36 am

VintageGeek wrote:Judy Garland was a sexy woman. Post a picture when you're done..

Lol, I love Judy Garland. I need to see more of her movies though. Here is my progress so far: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nfalcone/s ... 436444901/ It's already out of date b/c I made changes right after posting it. It's going to take.. I'm not even sure how long because I want it to be good! Maybe even frameable..

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri May 01, 2009 12:28 pm

It was a successful day yesterday :). Today I was starving when I woke up, so I had a granola bar. I'm still going to have my old fashioned oatmeal though :). Can't wait to get home and work on my drawing.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Fri May 01, 2009 5:17 pm

Ah. Ahem.

I didn't realize you were talking about Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz. Now my comment sounds kind of pervy. :oops:

ANYWAY!

Sounds like a good day so far!
8-bit is still awesome.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Sat May 02, 2009 12:11 pm

VintageGeek wrote:Ah. Ahem.

I didn't realize you were talking about Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz. Now my comment sounds kind of pervy. :oops:

ANYWAY!

Sounds like a good day so far!

Lol I knew what you mean!! :)

Yesterday was good and it was the first week where I did not have any desserts!!!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed May 06, 2009 4:40 pm

I have been a big cheater this week! I need to correct that. I think it's really hard coming off of an S weekend and then quitting sweets cold turkey. I may have to rethink my diet.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed May 06, 2009 6:29 pm

I've been SO HUNGRY TODAY! And not satisfied.

pre workout: 90 cal granola bar
Breakfast: 1/2 cup Life cereal w/skim milk
Lunch: Small ceasar salad
Snack: 90 cal yogurt

Why am I so hungry??

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu May 07, 2009 2:25 pm

Okay, a couple observations. When I snack in the morning and the afternoon - maybe a cheese stick, a yogurt, etc. (always below 100 calories) - I feel so much better. I have more energy, my mood is better, and I'm not irritable. When I'm STARVING in the afternoon, I get so irritable and my energy dips SO low. It could be what I'm eating but I often get my veggies at lunch, so... And I eat nothing but whole grains for the most part, not refined grains. Is it a caffeine low thing? Who knows, but I just know that when I have a tiny snack, everything feels better.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Thu May 07, 2009 2:31 pm

Have you tried adding whatever you would normally eat for a snack to the meal before? For instance, if you have a cheese stick between lunch and dinner, maybe eat it during lunch instead?

If it comes down to timing though, I think you're probably okay, even by No-S standards. I mean, the point of the "No Snacks" is to curb mindless grazing or consuming snacks the size of meals, right?

You need to do what's best for you, and if that means slipping in a tiny snack here and there, or eating larger meals to begin with, then you should go ahead and do that.
8-bit is still awesome.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri May 08, 2009 5:17 pm

Hmmm yeah I have had those thoughts, too, but can't help but think how similar they are. Same # of calories at the end of the day after all.

So No S.... I've been having mostly red days, but my weight has been steady. Not up, not down, just there. I'm afraid that if I'm not on some sort of "diet", everything will go crazy and I'll gain a ton of weight, lol.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri May 08, 2009 6:16 pm

I had diet iced tea this afternoon and I don't feel sluggish! :) Also I'm not very bored, just an observation. 1.5 hours between me and the weekend.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue May 12, 2009 3:07 pm

So I'm going back to my old way of eating to see what happens. No-S is so hard to me - I get so tired and my lack of energy is noticable. I'm now eating yogurt and low-fat cheese to keep my energy going. I'm still going to stick with only 1 plate of food and trying to stay away from sweets. Though a one tablespoon nightcap of ice cream has been my norm. I'm going to keep my meals small since I'm reintroducing snacks (not that they ever completely went away). So far I'm really happy with this :) I'm not starving and I don't feel deprived. By the way, only 2 snacks are allowed, before lunch and after lunch. It's planned and definitely not permasnacking.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed May 13, 2009 2:55 pm

I am refining this a bit.

Breakfast (cereal, skim milk)
Lunch (anything..!)
Second Lunch (cheese and yogurt)
Dinner (1 plate of anything)

No sweets or minimal sweets. Emphasis on salads and veggies.

Also, I am trying to drink tea instead of coffee. I like my tea with only 2 helpings of Splenda, so I save about 200 calories b/c I don't like tea with cream..! And I save money. Oh and it's easier to make and it has less than HALF the caffeine of a cup of coffee.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu May 14, 2009 1:33 pm

Yesterday was good... I successfully ate my four small meals with no starvation in between. :) I ordered Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred b/c I need a change in my routine. The workouts are full-body and only 20 minutes long!

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Thu May 14, 2009 5:50 pm

That Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred looks pretty advanced! Let us know what it's like.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu May 14, 2009 6:11 pm

Sure! I can't wait til it comes in... I also ordered the 100th Anniversary Edition of the Wizard of Oz, lol.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri May 15, 2009 12:09 pm

Yesterday was a sucess! I'm still waiting for my Jillian Michaels DVD. Also, I challenged myself to do 15 minute on the bike pushing as hard as I could.. wow was I sweaty! It was a short but good work out I think.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri May 15, 2009 12:20 pm

I also must add that I've switched to tea and I don't miss stopping at Dunkin Donuts every morning! The other great thing is I'm not experiencing the big crash from coffee anymore.... Coffee has too much caffeine, I'm convinced. Tea has half as much and still helps me feel awake.

9:42: I got too much done at work earlier in the week and now I am VERY BORED.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Sat May 16, 2009 1:45 pm

the scale was down a couple pounds this morning! I don't know if this is weight loss or water weight or what... I know better than to get excited, unfortunately! But I intend not to go crazy and screw it up.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon May 18, 2009 2:33 pm

So the closest I got to Ses this weekend was banana bread (small piece on Sat and Sun) and a teaspoon of ice cream Sunday night. Now I feel so much better this Monday morning. And though my husband doesn't like banana bread refridgerated, I HAD to put it in the fridge. It's too easy to pick at it if it's on the counter.

My weight this morning was 148.4. I'm not sure if it's real weight loss or water.. Who knows? I am going to try to do this and see where it takes me.

Meal Plan today:
Cereal w/skim milk 160
Cheese Stick 60
Chef Salad 300-400?
Yogurt 90
Buffalo Chicken Wrap Salad - 550

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue May 19, 2009 1:41 pm

Nichole, this is great! I am totally behind you on your decision. Even if it's not completely adherent to the rules, you're taking aspects of NoS and applying them to a more realistic plan for you. Plus, sometimes it really, really helps to shake things up a bit. And I'm happy to hear that you're giving up coffee too! I don't feel so alone now, haha.

I'm really looking forward to reading more about your progress with this. You're awesome!
8-bit is still awesome.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue May 19, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks! I'm feeling a lot better since my switch to tea.

I got my Jillian Michaels DVD yesterday, finally!!! :) I will try it when I get home from work. I look forward to it and to it only be 20 minutes.

Also, finished my latest project: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nfalcone . My friend just asked me to do one of her and her grandpa. It looks really challenging!

marleah

Post by marleah » Tue May 19, 2009 2:43 pm

Ooh, I love the detail on Toto! Nice job, those projects are a big commitment. I love art, but I haven't practiced my drawing/painting for years, so now I'm not happy with anything I do. Meh.

I always have heard that tea is much easier on the system than coffee. Not sure how accurate that is, but it seems to work well for a lot of people. I know I prefer tea - I love having a nice cup of tea on a cool morning.
- vegan grad student -