The Blessings of Simplicity

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Eurobabe2

Post by Eurobabe2 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:58 pm

I knew you'd be back, Kathleen! :D
How do I know? No-s is the only diet you were able to stick with for a considerable period of time and lose weight with.

It's clear you have a considerable problem with binge eating, so your S-events seem like a good idea. Actually, I think most of us here who have been successful on No-s do the same-we don't binge all weekend, we have a few carefully-chosen snacks or desserts. We don't want to undo a good week by an insane weekend.

I have an idea-actually a couple of them.
First, PLAN your S-event at least the day before. You may well find that it's far more doable if you choose just the right snack etc etc. If I eat what I REALLYwant, I am satified with a small piece of whatever it is.

The second thing is about your doctor's visit. Have you had your thyroid function checked? I know, I know, the standard idea is that every overweight person (especially women) blames their "glands" for their obesity. But what if it's true? When I went to the doctor last November, I had bloodwork, and I was interested in my blood sugar and my lipid profile. The body's metabolism and many many other body functions depend on the smooth functioning of the thyroid gland, yet my thyroid was not even on my radar.

Well, all the numbers were good except for the thyroid. The high/normal number for the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (which makes your thyroid secrete more hormone if you are deficient) is about 3.5. Mine was 13.5 in November, and then 14.5 when rechecked in April (even after meds). Not good, and could explain why I'm not a whole lot thinner considering the amount of exercise I do, and my eating habits. The doctor increase my medication dosage, and the current numbers as of a few days ago are about 1. Excellent. I'm counting on great results.

So if you haven't, maybe you should ask for a thyroid check when you go for your physical, even if you don't think you have symptoms. In retrospect I had symptoms, but I'm not exactly a spring chicken and I passed them off as being typical of someone my age, 53. Wrong.

Good luck, and remember, the doctor works for you, not the other way around. :)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:43 am

HI Eurobabe2,

The first problem for me to address is binge eating. I think S Days helped me to at least schedule binges but they did not eliminate the binge eating. It took me more than 8 months to get in, but my annual physical is actually at the Mayo Clinic.

It is truly frightening to consider what has happened to my life because of my weight. People always used to think I was much younger than I am. Now people think I'm not the kid's mother because I look so old.

It's sad. It's sad. It's devastating.

Kathleen

Eurobabe2

Post by Eurobabe2 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:07 pm

Kathleen, I read self-help books too. Some of them are even useful. One of the most useful comments that i read recently was,"Make peace with what is, and look to where you want to be."

We have a chronic family problem, and I just about drove myself insane with asking why, looking back on what I could have done/should have done/did-but shouldn't-have etc etc. Now I force myself to stop when my mind starts looking backwards, and you know, I truly feel better.
Visualize where you want to be, and do not mourn the contrast between what you are now versus what you were many years ago. NOW is all that matters.

You don't have to be defeated by this. IF you stick with it, No-s will work for you, and you will once again be thought of as younger than your age.

My kids don't listen to me, so if I didn't have you to lecture to on this forum, who would I lecture to? :)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:25 pm

Eurobabe2,
Yes, there is no point in regretting the past. My brother posted a picture of his wife, and I looked at it and thought she looked 20 years younger than I am. Why beat myself up? It does not good.

I'll look to the future. What can I do today?

Kathleen

Eurobabe2

Post by Eurobabe2 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:13 pm

[b][i]The key to successful weight loss may be that you follow a program in which you think of yourself as waiting to eat instead of denying yourself.[/i][/b]

I completely agree with this. Because I have so few desserts/snacks, they are the ones I love. I always have something to look forward to. Stick with it, Kathleen.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:30 pm

Eurobabe2,

I'm hardly one to say I've discovered the key to successful weight loss, but this is my current theory. My problem is that, like an alcoholic who never has another drink, I seem to need some sort of "bright line" between when I can eat and when I cannot. Having exceptions was a good idea, but S Days became day-long binges and limited how much weight I could lose. No diet is one size fits all. I've needed to customize my diet, but the foundation is No S.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Kathleen

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:40 am

The Bright Line Diet
After diet collapse: keep a food diary plus rewarding myself for restricting my eating to three meals in a day.

The Bright Line Diet:
(Month 1) Day 1 – Wednesday, July 11, 2012: 220.0

Journal:
Day 1 – Sunday, July 1, 2012: 218.8 I am going to keep a food journal and rank what I eat. Yesterday I ate cold leftover Mexican chicken and rice. I hesitated when reaching for it because it seemed somewhat disgusting, but I ate it anyway because I could. The residual effect of dieting, I believe, is that you eat what you are allowed to eat. I remember with No S eating something that I thought might make me sick but ate it anyway because I had not realized until I bit into it that it was somewhat rotten but I ate it anyway because I could not go eat something else and still be in compliance.

We go camping this week, and I can take my journal with me. My goal is to rate foods from 1 (Could make me sick) to 10 and stop eating what I rank a 3 or below. Here are my rankings for 1 - 3:

3 Somewhat disgusting
2 Disgusting
1 Could make me sick

I noticed an interesting behavior on the part of someone thin the other day. We were sitting around a kitchen table with a tray of bars in the center. She took one, took one bite, and put it back before she picked it up again, probably because she realized that this could not be returned to the serving tray! She finished eating it. Had she been alone, I bet she would have tossed it. She was just being polite to finish eating it, but I bet she didn't like it. It may be, of course, that she had thought the serving tray was her plate, but my observation of her led me to speculate that dieters eat everything they can and those who are thin are choosy and willing to throw out what they don't particularly like. My goal is to become choosy.

I weighed myself today at 5:15 AM and yesterday at almost 9 AM, so having the same weight yesterday and today is a good sign. Had I slept in again today, I bet my weight would have been a pound or more lower.

8 AM: I decided to change my mindset from "Govern your appetite" to "I choose to be choosy." We have four children and the only thin one is very picky. She also is very active. My choice is to become both choosy and active. We can learn a lot from our kids!

9 PM: I think I just need to think about the food I ate today that I least enjoyed, and my hope is that I will consider not eating it. Here is today's pick: a slice of pizza. Ick. Why did I eat it? Because I am responsible for getting in all the health forms for Boy Scouts and am emailing the parents about missing information and so dropped the ball on making dinner. I had Cheerios instead of pizza because I don't like pizza but then went ahead and had pizza anyway.

Day 2 – Monday, July 2, 2012: 219.8 The best eating experience yesterday was only about a 4 because I was not hungry all day, so I am reminded of the saying "Hunger is the best spice." I would rate eating apples with caramels as "Pleasant but not satisfying." Why am I eating, then? I think it's the result of years of restrictions. If I let go of the restrictions, what will happen? This is intuitive eating's approach, and I remember what happened to me then. For the next week, I think I'm going to just rate the best and least pleasant eating experiences and see what happens. I don't need a complete food diary. What I need is to rate the benefits of eating.

Here are my ratings:

4 Pleasant but not satisfying
3 Somewhat disgusting
2 Disgusting
1 Could make me sick

Since Saturday, the only time I really enjoyed eating was when I had the Starbucks coffee Frappachino. Everything else I have eaten I would rate a 4 or below. That's pretty sad. I'm not eating out of self-indulgence. I'm eating out of some sort of fear of starvation brought on by years of diet restrictions.

My family thinks this diet is destined for failure and may be right. When I weigh myself next Monday morning, I'll have a better idea of its merits, especially since I usually gorge myself at my in-laws out of stress. My sister in law is just plain nasty to me, and it's always at her house. Going there reminds me of the Aesop fable of country mouse and city mouse with the saying: "Better to eat less in peace than more in fear."

9 PM: I reached a rating of 5 today, with a taste of hot dog at Costco during lunch. Now I can define that rating:

5 Satisfying a tiny bit of hunger
4 Pleasant but not satisfying
3 Somewhat disgusting
2 Disgusting
1 Could make me sick

Day 3 – Tuesday, July 3, 2012: 220.6 I only ate at a 4 all day yesterday, but I was baking and so was munching along the way. For the rest of the week, my goal is to eat small meals and try to reach a level of hunger such that I reach a 5 when eating at least once per day. As a result, this morning, I had a plum and Cheerios with craisins. This is somewhat back to No S with the emphasis on meals.

Day 8 - Sunday, July 8, 2012: Surprise. Surprise. I changed the diet somewhat. Now I am recording my most pleasurable eating experience and least pleasurable eating experience, marking the most with an M for maximum and the least with an m for minimal. Today the most pleasurable was having too-strong black coffee while looking out at a lake about 30 feet away before the kids were up and out of the tent. That beat by far having a PayDay on the way home because I was so tired of driving through road construction or even the Turtle Mocha from the fancy coffee shop downtown. Ambiance really matters for satisfaction for me. How will this approach result in weight loss? Well, one day the m was marked next to chips. I don't particularly like chips but they were there and I ate them. The next day they were there and I had about 3 and stopped. Also, I am finding a certain level of unwillingness to eat if the experience isn't pleasurable because in my mind are the pleasurable experiences recorded from prior days. Yesterday's M was an omlette, and the m was for the second s'more. I am learning and trying to maximize pleasure. Is that ever a different approach to dieting when dieting is equated with deprivation! No S isn't deprivation, but it is delay. Wait. Wait until meal or an S Day. Anne is following the No S approach now. She had pop tarts this morning. I wanted cereal. Had I been following No S, I may well have had a pop tart.

Day 9 – Monday, July 9, 2012: 219.6 Two tenths of a pound in a week does not look like a lot of progress, but I am somewhat satisfied because I ate exactly what I wanted to eat all week. This means that I did not binge at all. I am going to focus on making every bite a consciously pleasurable experience.

Day 1 – Tuesday, July 10, 2012: 221.2 When I got home, facing tons of laundry and the need to repack for next week, I went right back to my old habits of shoving food in my mouth. I am left with the memory of having too-strong coffee while looking out on the lake and the recognition that I need to enjoy my food. My entire focus has been on governing my appetite. This is the I Can Make You Thin Program, and I pulled out the 90 day journal to start today. I'm following it starting today. If the kids don't get to the beach, so be it. I need to focus on my slipping the switch into a healthful lifestyle.

(Month 1) Day 1 – Wednesday, July 11, 2012: 220.0 I am just going to follow my own program with insights from No S, Intuitive Eating, and I Can Make You Thin. My program is very simple: every day record what I remember of the best (or Maximum) eating experience and the least (or Minimum). My reference point for what is enjoyed was the too strong coffee that I had on Sunday morning while sitting just feet from a Boundary Waters lake. I have not enjoyed food for many years because I'm already full when I eat and tend to wolf down the food anyway. That coffee was terrible but the experience was wonderful, and I can use that experience as my reference point. Besides, it's wonderful to think again of that moment of quiet. What was the minimum eating experience? Having soup at the computer.... Did I actually eat it, or did it just disappear? I can't enjoy food if I don't pay attention.

It's a bit amusing to me to use the terms maximum and minimum, but I guess that's what comes to mind when I'm making three of four kids do math this summer!

4:17 PM: I think I'm just going to keep a food diary. That's it.

7 PM: This afternoon, Ellie left some books on the table because she was using them for an experiment. I opened one of them, Your Money or Your Life (C 1992), and read, on page 71, "Keep track of every cent that comes into or goes out of your life...its' the best way to become conscious of how money actually comes and goes in your life as opposed to how you think it comes and goes. Up to now most of us have had a rather cavalier attitude toward our small, daily monetary transactions." Wow. Doesn't that same thing apply to the constant eating that I do? Here I am, obsessed with dieting, and yet I could not accurately record what I have eaten so far today.

That's why I think my bright line might best be just the day in and day out recording of what I eat with the presumption that a little conscious awareness will reduce the intake of, say, the dried cherries I just popped into my mouth.

11:03 PM: I am done with dieting and done with thinking about dieting. It's a few short days before another week of camping. How do I want to live my life? How have I lived my life? Enough of all my time on diet ideas. If I write down what I eat, then each time food enters my mouth is a time to remember what I am doing so as to record it later. This will be a "pause" to consider if I really want that food.

I have not recorded what I ate today. It was a "last supper" of sorts, a last time before committing for life to this discipline.

Day 3 – Friday, July 13, 2012: This morning, as I was scarfing down chocolate covered acais, the thought came to mind: "It counts if I don't enjoy it." What the heck was I thinking? Was I thinking that I can eat so long as I don't enjoy eating or don't pay attention to eating? Keeping a food diary is going to skunk up some things, I think.

3 PM: One thing I am already realizing is that there are many decisions that go into being thin, not just one. Dieting has seemed to me to be a matter of finding a diet that works, in other words one decision. With keeping a food journal, I realize it is many decisions every day.

9 PM: I last used the Pythagoreum Theorum in 1976. Why is it I could figure out a math problem when my son could not? I'm irritated. This kid managed to slide through years of math doing the minimum and now the chickens are coming home to roost. I'm bribing him through Kumon by a promise of a trip to Valley Fair, all expenses paid. He knows he needs it, but he's enjoying looking forward to that trip. Here I am, thinking about how it really is a good idea to confine eating to mealtimes, and it occurred to me to try bribery on myself. I salivate when I get the Teaching Company courses. Maybe I can award myself $1/day for days I eat only at mealtime and accumulate funds only for those courses. I always feel guilty ordering them, but I love to listen to them! This will give me an opportunity to earn points towards something I most likely would deny myself. I can deny myself Wheat Thins for a chance at a really satisfying course. There are more hungers that I have than for food! I have a great love of learning and might as well put it to use.

Day 4 – Saturday, July 14, 2012: 221.6 This was not unexpected. I could eat what I want and so I did. Maybe giving myself an incentive to eat only at mealtime will help. I am zipping together two sleeping bags for this week because otherwise it would be very uncomfortable. That is really sad. There is a lot of humiliation in being so fat.

6:15 AM: I think I'm also going to allow myself to buy jewelry. In almost 20 years of marriage, I've bought some cheap earrings and perhaps four other pieces of jewelry. I got a necklace for $167 and a pendant made to order in 14K gold for $245. By awarding myself $1 a day, I could earn more jewelry like that. For 10 years, I've had in mind a ring that I would like made to order. It would be a replica of the design of a 10K gold ring that I have which was of poor quality in that the stone was lost. Still, if I took it to the same jewelry who added little diamonds to my wedding ring, I could have something to wear that is a reminder of my own diet success. I like that idea. To each his own when it comes to incentives... The Kumon rewards for my kids are trips to amusement parks with friends because that is something they cannot get without transportation services from Mom. For me, it is something I would deny myself because it seems extravagent.

8 PM: I lasted until 6 PM and then wolfed down three nectarines. I'm going to try combining chewing each bite ten times with writing down everything I eat.

9:30 PM: I think it's got to be that I can follow the habits 100% of the time, and that leaves me with chewing each bite ten times and writing everything down.
Last edited by Kathleen on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:38 am, edited 29 times in total.

Eurobabe2

Post by Eurobabe2 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:07 pm

I absolutely agree with being choosy (and active.) There are so many delicous (and healthy) foods out there, and if we only eat the ones we love, we are far more likely to eat less. It's kind of NO-s Plus-three meals a day but only foods we really like at those meals.

Your weight's coming down nicely. Stick with it and you WILL succeed. :)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:05 am

Thanks, Eurobabe2. I think I'm on the right track, but I've been saying that for years so we'll see ---
Kathleen

Eurobabe2

Post by Eurobabe2 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:56 pm

Kathleen, why do you need to go to the sister-in-law's house when she's nasty to you? Your husband must see the way she treats you. Is it possible to just stay home or go somewhere else when your husband wants to see her?

Life is too short to go somewhere we don't want to go, to see someone we don't want to see, who is nasty to us to boot.

Ha! Come to my house, you'd enjoy yourself better. :)

Eurobabe2

Post by Eurobabe2 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:57 pm

Kathleen, why do you need to go to the sister-in-law's house when she's nasty to you? Your husband must see the way she treats you. Is it possible to just stay home or go somewhere else when your husband wants to see her?

Life is too short to go somewhere we don't want to go, to see someone we don't want to see, who is nasty to us to boot.

Ha! Come to my house, you'll enjoy yourself better. :)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:26 pm

Eurobabe2,
We only go twice per year, and I endure it. What is sad is that my mother in law is almost 88, I love being with her, and we don't see her as often because she is across the street from my sister in law. I have skipped out both at New Year's and at Fourth of July, the times when the family gets together, but after the Fourth this year we are going farther north to Ely, the entryway to the Boundary Waters and one of the most beautiful places in America. I can put up with 48 hours and enjoy my mother in law.
Kathleen

Eurobabe2

Post by Eurobabe2 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:26 am

Yeah, I understand. Although I don't have any brothers, I understand from others that their sisters are very protective/possesive of them, and often give their wives a hard time-moreso that the men's mothers.

I haven't been to the place you describe, but will put it on my list for next summer, when my husband is finally finished with his posting and will be home,

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:01 am

Eurobabe2

Post by Eurobabe2 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:53 pm

For the rest of the week, my goal is to eat small meals and try to reach a level of hunger such that I reach a 5 when eating at least once per day. As a result, this morning, I had a plum and Cheerios with craisins. This is somewhat back to No S with the emphasis on meals.[/quote]

Yes, THIS is how you will lose weight. Small meals with food you love-forget the 5, go for a 10!! You can do better than a 5, and if you always have excellent food to look forward to for the next meal, you will be better able to follow the eating plan. So get out your cookbooks and plan meals that you will love. :)
By the way, does your rating scale go to 10?

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:08 pm

Eurobabe2,
I will try to rate based on 1 - 10 but realize now I eat at 3 - 4, which is pretty darn sad since a 3 is actually negative. Yesterday, I experienced a 5. My goal will be to get to higher levels but I have to start somewhere. It's like exercising. I started with 5 minutes on the exercise bike, not 30.
Kathleen

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:30 am

WOW, Kathleen! 20 lbs weight loss in one day?? :shock: :D :D
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:57 am

Whoops! I'm still not used to being at such a high weight.
Kathleen

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Kathleen wrote: The Bright Line Diet
After diet collapse: keep a food diary. [unquote]

Kathleen, my current success began on Sept 20, 2004,
when I began keeping track of all of my food
(including all of the food I ate during binges)
with a computer software program.

I have been maintaining that weight loss for the past 7 years
by continuing to track all of my food (including when I overeat)
inside that computer software program.
I think that it is absolutely impossible for someone who overeats
to manually track food for any length of time,
but the frequent and consistent input of all food information
within a computer program works well.

When the computer is unavailable, I write how much and what I eat,
and input that information into the computer as soon as I can return to it.

Such a habit breaks through Denial, and promotes Accountability.
It is consistent with every diet...including all Intuitive eating programs,
Fasting, and No S, and can always be used when experimenting with them.

Establishing the habit was difficult,
because it requires facing exactly what and how much one is eating.
..ALL THE TIME...even on vacation.
and it is still difficult to write down what I eat when I make the choice to binge out......
but most of the time it has become an enjoyable habit.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi BrightAngel,
I have been extremely reluctant to take this step, having tried it once for two weeks and found it unpleasant. However, I think it does break through denial. I'm not so sure I want to figure out calorie counts. Instead, I'm just going to record what I eat each day. Today I was popping chocolate covered acais in my mouth and I don't even like them. Why? Because they were there, of course. Now that I have to write down what I eat, I think it may serve as a deterrent. Time will tell. I am thinking I don't want to try anything else and will just accept the weight I get from writing down what I eat. I've already figured out that I need a bright line and many others don't. This can be a bright line: I can write down everything I eat. Thanks for your encouragement.
Kathleen

nosnos

Hi Kathleen

Post by nosnos » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:40 am

Hi Kathleen,
It's odd writing this as I have read so much of your writing that it feels a bit like writing to someone famous!
I have lurked on the nos boards, occaisionally posted and followed no s to the best of my ability for about a year and a half. My starting point was very different from yours as my BMI always stayed in the healthy range however had I not found no s... Who knows where I would have bEen as I was stuck dieting, obsessing, constantly thinking about food and critising myself in the process. I felt so depressed, I hated my body I may as well have been 300 lbs as every llb of fat on my body over my ideal weight felt like lead weighing me down and keeping me from a happy life. Nos has given me a framework to go with day by day, week by week that has stopped all those terrible thoughts and habits. It has given me peace and allowed me to have a happy life, right now and stop thinking about food... A MIRACLE!!!
I am telling you this to give you a bit of background so you know who I am and why I am saying what I am going to say- I have actually read your entire check in! ...
There is a distinct pattern to your dieting and writing you start something, enthuse about it, find studys to back it up, convince yourself this is it, follow it for anything from one hour to a few days, start to modify, tweak a little more, binge and then with determination to change and disgust at yourself you start again.
Most of the plans you try are un-sustainable eg novena diet/ any variations on it, or fasting, or require unsustainable complex analytical systems and ratings that require you to think all the time about, what you eat, how much, when you eat and how you feel... I hate to break it to you but all these ideas will probably never work even if you stick to them, and you don't seem to be able to stick to them (I doubt anyone could longterm)
When you stopped no s when you where 25lbs lighter then you are you were actually still slowly losing weight- if you read back to the start (I really recommend you do) you tended to lose by gradual drops a plateau then a slightly bigger drop- I believe you quit no s because you didn't let the cycle finnish and you became un patient with your weight.
Kathleen what shines through your writing is that you are a really great woman, who is bravely trying to solve a big problem- I recommend you show yourself some kindness, re commit to no s, give yourself a year, if you reach a plateau then maybe (after a long time on plan) tweak to one plate only or 5 s-events per weekend day (which seems like a lot but it is far less than binging) . Do a little bit of exercise most days and stick with it. You will be eating less then you are now, you will be eating like a normal person, you will be able to stop looking for the answer and enjoy your life and eventually (it will take a long time but there is no short cut to this problem) YOU WILL BE A NORMAL HEALTHY WEIGHT- IT IS IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO IF YOU CAN STICK WITH NO S.
I am saying this as reading your story has helped me keep on track- PLEASE READ YOUR OWN JOURNAL FROM THE START AND LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES- GOD DOES NOT WANT YOU TO SUFFER AND SPEND YOUR LIFE LIKE THIS.
I apolagise for the long- out of the blue message but it is an act of love and a wake up call- you felt at peace with food for a while on no s- while losing weight. This is priceless- get back on plan and stay on it- please PM me if you want to talk privatly- I have all the time in the world for you. Nos nos
Last edited by nosnos on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:37 pm

nosnos,

Thank you for your post to me. It was obviously very heart-felt. I agree that I did feel a measure of peace with No S. My intent all along in documenting my thoughts regarding weight loss was to pass on the knowledge gained to my children, three of four of whom also show signs of a weight problem and one of whom is very definitely overweight. We are leaving in two days to camp for a week, and it's what I call the most relaxing week of my marriage because the girls are participating in programs at the family camp associated with the Boy Scout camp and my son and husband are five miles away at the troop's site. I have nothing to do but think, and it's wonderful. Let me think about what you said.

I do think that No S is the best diet I have found. It gives a measure of structure but still allows you to respond to hunger cues. The reason why I think just keeping a food journal may be superior to No S is that each time you eat is a decision. With No S, S Days became eat everything in sight days, although that was not meant to be. I'd eat whatever was in front of me for a meal, and once I distinctly remember eating what I thought could make me sick but it was on the plate so I ate it.

The timing of your post could not be better. I am going to stick with keeping a food journal for now but will think about what you wrote next week. I can hardly wait. It's not just that my time at camp is so relaxing: it's also that the place is a throwback to how our generation grew up: it's so safe the kids can run around by themselves and choose what they want to do: fish, sail, swim, do arts and crafts, play on the swim set, ...

Part of the obesity epidemic for kids, I think, comes from the fact that socializing is now text messages and Facebook postings, not biking around or playing kick the can. I have started down the path of having an exercise routine, and that's good. That's also what I'll be considering while at camp.

Reinhard, of course, also has an exercise portion to his program, but I ignored that. I think now that exercise plus some sort of eating management is essential. Thank you again for posting.

Kathleen

nosnos

:)

Post by nosnos » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm really glad my message came out ok. I would have hated to offend you- I never know quite how my writing will come across:)

Sounds like you have a wonderful break ahead of you- have a good time :) I don't see how journaling your intake is a bad thing (unless you resent doing it!) And it would be compatible with no s also. Have you re-read your words on this check in recently? As there are so many lessons for dieters and wanna-be ex- dieters in here!
I forgot to say that I am an ex-binge eater too, so I can really relate to much of what you have said. (No s was key in helping me stop binging for good)
I have really felt your pain at times reading your check in. I really wish you all the best- and I'll stay tuned to watch your progress!
I hope your thinking time helps you- but make sure your intelligence doesn't trip you up- the aim is to stop thinking about food and start to eat less of it! (And I've seen a lot of thinking taking place in this check in!!)
That being said your determination and strength is soo inspiring. I have every faith you will find your way out of this Kathleen.
Good luck and a big hug!
Nosnos

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:19 pm

nosnos - I wish to commend you on your wonderful post! I could have not put it better myself and although your message was specifically for Kathleen, the points you put across had an impact and influence on all of us. (Well, this No Ser at least :) Thank you so much!!

I'd also like to congratulate Kathleen on her tenacity and determination and I continue to read her posts every day and hope dear Kathleen that you will find peace of mind (I feel for you, hon) and settle on a plan that is right for you. For peace of mind with food, No S is definitely the way to go. I myself have found this to be a rocky road with many (ongong) challenges along the way, but each and every time I find myself coming back - nay keeping with - the No S Plan. I wholeheartedly agree with nosnos, that if you give yourself time Kathleen - and don't worry about 100% compliance - I think that's where many of us get frustrated and throw in the towel - we should try to forget about the slip ups.. yeah I know easier said than done... and keep going. But I recommend if possible sticking to one specific plan since flitting about many different plans, I have found, and it took me 30 plus years (and still a work in progress! ) to get my head round this - often as not just leads to frustration and depression. I know I am one to talk (yes I did sign up for diet classes) BUT I am only using this method to bolster my No S compliance and I don't intend to stay there much longer. The club has strengthened my resolve quite a bit this time plus I have a goal in my mind to lose some before going on a vacation. BUT (For me personally) I don't think clubs are necessarily helpful unless - like everything else - you are in the right frame of mind.

Anyway guys, just popping in to commend you both on your inspirational messages and thanks both of you for keeping me on this path.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:43 pm

I too think that you should re-read all of your posts and look for trends. I had huge ones and it really motivated me to stick to it. I graphed my weight out over the last several years and wrote what I was doing along side them and found very obvious trends of thought and frustration. I believe most of my problem is patience... both waiting to eat and waiting to see the results.

I think that writing everything down is a pain. It is an eye opener, but I think it can also sometimes train us to think MORE about food in general which is the opposite direction that I want to go. That being said, when I decide to write everything down I like to use a 4-color bic pen. I write foods eaten when hungry in green, foods eated when not hungry in red, my feelings in blue, and extras like exercise in black. It's way easier to spot trends and progress.

Keeping in mind: the more simple the plan, the less your mind has to think about food. :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:16 pm

Interesting idea to evaluate why you are eating... I almost never am hungry, so why do I eat? Is it habit, boredom, fear of starvation, what? I have no idea....
Kathleen

nosnos

Post by nosnos » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi again Kathleen,
If you look back through your posts you will find a million examples of you theorising about why you eat and using/inventing approaches to work around this. The disastrous multiple forays into Intuitive eating as a case point and the peanut cluster diet as another (gearing eating around hunger- A why we eat approach to dieting) or rating your pleasure in eating out of 10 (pleasure- another why we eat factor)
A moderate approach would be to 'tweak' no s so that when a food is rotten you are allowed to throw it away and eat something else! I am positive that Reinhard would do exactly the same!
Never forget that you lost a considerable amount of weight while feeling peaceful, being able to celebrate weekends, weddings and birthdays like a normal person and you felt peaceful with food. Of course nothing is easy but darling all you have done is gain weight since. Please stop flitting around, please read your check in ( the graph of weight idea would be a very visual way to see the big drop during no s and the creep upward ever since.
I know you found the weekend binging hard- but it kept you on track in the start and could be tweaked later- Your food consumption was dropping on the weekend but you got impatient and ditched the plan and now your worse off then when you started.
Like me you are an all or nothing person, I have tried the 100% compliance and it fueled binges and last suppers. Make doing no s to the best of your ability the only 100% compliance. Will you have bad days? Will you eat to much? Yes all people do, thin people do too! The trick is to mark it and move on and accept your weak moments as part of your growth.
OK that's enough ranting from me! Have a wonderful holiday (sitting in the english rain right now... I envy you) :)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:31 pm

nosnos,
You are right about all my theorizing about why I eat. It doesn't really matter. I am very conscious of how much I have gained because it was really embarrassing to get in a swimsuit and am not sure I will even swim next week because I look so bad. Being buxom is particularly hard when you are trying to find a swimsuit... You are encouraging me to give No S more time, and I appreciate that. The problem is I followed it for almost a year after I got to my lowest weight. That's why I'm reluctant to return to it. Thanks.
Kathleen

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:41 pm

Dear Kathleen,
I think that many of us who read and follow your thread rooting for you have recommended that you return to NoS at some point or another for the same reasons that nosnos has outlined for you. You are always most gracious and kind in receiving advice from others, and I truly believe you consider everything said.
Bottom line - you have to find what works for you - which, I know, is what you are trying so desperately to do. I believe with all my heart that NoS is the answer - but it doesn't have to be the sole answer for you. I believe that you can combine NoS with almost any other plan or approach out there. After all, NoS is simply a structure that teaches you to eat with moderation. If you want to keep a food journal while you follow NoS, why not? It may give you the help that you need to get through the S days, which seem to be problematic for you. I combined NoS with The Beck Diet Solution and have had excellent results. Others here have followed NoS with vegan eating, lo carb, calorie counting, etc.
I hope you have a wonderful, peaceful week at camp and come home renewed and energized. And make sure you swim and have a good time doing it!
Best wishes as always,

Mimi
:D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:38 pm

mimi,

Keeping a food journal alone will not result in weight loss: it is also necessary to change behavior as a result of learning from what is written. For example, I bought a box of Wheat Thins, a food I simply cannot resist. Why? Being more self-aware can help.

What I think could be a great approach to long-term weight loss is to combine keeping a food journal with No S - like behavior of eating at meals and then more or less tuning out any sort of hunger signals until the next meal. That is the brilliance, I think, of No S. Hunger comes and goes. It is not a crises.

What does this mean practically for me? I don't think much of anything. As nosnos noted, I tend to make systems that are too complicated to follow for long. It can be more my intention to eat at mealtime than something I track.

It will be nice to be at camp. It is so darn beautiful up there.

Kathleen

nosnos

Post by nosnos » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:14 am

I understand what your reservations are Kathleen- I'm sure I would have reservations too if I were you. I didn't mean to sound harsh- just really trying to put across what I believe would help.
However this is a support forum and your check in so please know that I am rooting for you 100% what-ever you decide to do.
I think a journalling practice combined with no s could be good for you- especially if you write down all food during binges. Maybe it would be cathartic and would help you to 'mark it and move on' and help you think about food less.
Sigh... the bathing suit situation- I would love to say it's not highschool anymore and no-one will care if they see a larger lady on the beach. But I know it doesn't always feel like that and it can be a very vulnerable thing to be showing ones body in a public setting. Good luck with that one!
And mimi is right your level of tolerance at all the advice I have shown you is amazing- I think most people would be a mess of defensive reactions right now. But you have behaved with total humility to me and all of my musings and interjections. Thank you for humouring me. I hope something I have said will help.
I Hope you have a great day today Kathleen :) nosnos

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:44 am

nosnos,
Let me think about it. You have persuaded me to consider the benefit that I got from No S of tuning out any thought of eating between meals and that is what brought peace. If I can give myself an incentive to eat three meals per day, maybe that would be good. The drawback of No S, at least for me, was that I would binge on S Days simply because I was allowed to do so. Dieting turned me into someone who wanted to eat as much as allowed.
Kathleen

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:43 pm

Kathleen wrote:nosnos,
Let me think about it. You have persuaded me to consider the benefit that I got from No S of tuning out any thought of eating between meals and that is what brought peace. If I can give myself an incentive to eat three meals per day, maybe that would be good. The drawback of No S, at least for me, was that I would binge on S Days simply because I was allowed to do so. Dieting turned me into someone who wanted to eat as much as allowed.
Kathleen
ImageKathleen, during the past year on ALL of the other plans you've been on,
you STILL have been bingeing an average of at least 2 days each week.
Theoretically, ... for many people on No S.... eventually the habit takes over,
and the bingeing stops being an issue.
Truthfully, I can't see how Vanilla No S could bring you worse results
than what you've been doing the past year and a half PLUS.

READ your journal... the rest of us have.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:35 pm

BrightAngel,
You are absolutely right that the last 18 months have been a disaster. I'm going to go to camp, I am going to see if this approach works while I am there, and then I'm returning to vanilla No S if it doesn't. There may not appear to be much of a difference between 200 pounds and 220 pounds, but believe me, there is. I have difficulty cutting my toenails, I have difficulty crossing my legs, and I am now at the point of wandering through the women's section at JC Penney since I can only fit into one pair of blue jeans in regular sizes and those are tight and probably were manufactured incorrectly.
Kathleen

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:25 am

Have a great time on your trip, Kathleen. You know what they say - a change is as good as a rest! :D

Again, I agree wholeheartedly with what the others have said with regards to chosing a plan to suit you - and I know, dear, how darned difficult it can be.

I also haven't lost any weight on No S.... (lost a couple with the aid of a diet club and their food products - how sustainable that will be in the long run remains to be seen but I'm only thinking on doing this till I go on vacation). BUT it's definitely helped a great deal with the bingeing and the worry factor i.e. what diet plan will i follow now? What do I eat etc, etc. It takes some time to get used to not eating sweets and snacks after dinner and/or between meals but I just kept telling myself I could wait till the weekend (My No S days) and it seemed to help a lot. I know what my triggers are : baking sweets (when I'm bored) and loitering in the bake sale aisle of my supermarket! I know I complain a lot about my ott S Days, but whenever I tried conventional diets, I would make myself utterly miserable, couldn't stand it and I would binge heavily EVERY single time. I'm not at my ideal weight and whilst that irks me, on the other hand it is half the battle for me to only have to worry about TWO binge days a week instead of 7, thanks to the No S plan.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:07 am

NoSRocks,
The binge behavior is horrible -- it's as if my body is taken over. It reminds me of what I have read of people "blacking out" with drinking and then coming to not knowing where they are.

BrightAngel,
I think I need to take the week to really think through the last four years and then consider what to do next. It was four years ago at camp that I was just beginning my Hunger Satisfaction Diet. Ugh -- I was always belly gazing and trying to gauge if I was hungry.

Kathleen

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:24 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean hon about the body being taken over.... I can recall manys a time, I was starting afresh tomorrow after swearing off a binge and then... before I knew it, there I was, bingeing again. Its as if I have no control and the cravings are STRONG.... I couldn't/can't even remember half of what I was eating! I ate because I hurt and wanted to feel better .... but always felt twice as bad afterwards. Particularly in the morning when i have food hangovers. I'd wake up after a nights' rest and then the previous night's behavior would come flooding back and I'd feel awful! But that's enough for one message, guys. I know a lot of you will understand and emphathise where I am coming from. I still have my over eating episodes followed by the inevitable chiding and (pointless but nevertheless) nagging anxiety; but Dearest Kathleen and the rest of my No S gang, I will say again that No S has helped a lot with this pattern of behavior and for that, i am eternally grateful.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:42 am

NosRocks,

I kept a journal while I was away, and I figured out why NoS works for many but not for me. It is the perfectionism in me that prevents it from working. My analogy to dieting is that of a parent trying to guide but not direct a teenager. The last thing you want is rebellion when parenting a teen, which is equivalent to binge behavior in a diet. Right now, I am up and getting ready for the day. My teenage son stands a better shot of getting out to caddy if he is at the caddyshack by 7. No. He wanted to not caddy today because he is tired from camping. He then agreed to caddy but did not want to get up until 7, making it impossible for him to get to the caddyshack by 7.

It is now 6:30 AM. I am his alarm clock until tomorrow when he is moved back into his room. We got his hardwood floors done and bought him adult furniture (including an XL Twin bed, because he'll be over 6' tall soon), and so he has no alarm.

Do I wake him now to meet my expectations, or do I respect his wishes and wake him at 7, knowing his likelihood of getting out is much reduced?

In my mind, an analogous situation to parent - teen is mind - body when it comes to dieting. The parent is like the mind in knowing what is best, but the teen and the body will rebel under too much pressure.

No S is freedom within structure, and that is what is needed for teens and diets. I'm not ready to return to No S, but I understand why it is effective for many.

Kathleen
Last edited by Kathleen on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:26 am

The Novena Diet: July 29, 2012 - August, 2012

Weight:
Day 1 – Sunday, July 15, 2012: 220.0
Day 2 – Monday, July 16, 2012:
Day 3 – Tuesday, July 17, 2012:
Day 4 – Wednesday, July 18, 2012:
Day 5 – Thursday, July 19, 2012:
Day 6 – Friday, July 20, 2012:
Day 7 – Saturday, July 21, 2012:
Day 8 – Sunday, July 22, 2012: 220.2
Day 9 – Monday, July 23, 2012:
Day 10 – Tuesday, July 24, 2012:
Day 11 – Wednesday, July 25, 2012: 218.2
Day 12 – Thursday, July 26, 2012:
Day 13 – Friday, July 27, 2012: 219.6
Day 14 – Saturday, July 28, 2012:

Sunday, July 29, 2012: 219.8
Monday, July 30, 2012: 219.6
Tuesday, July 31, 2012: 220.2

Day 1 – Wednesday, August 1, 2012: 221.0
Day 2 – Thursday, August 2, 2012: 219.2
Day 3 – Friday, August 3, 2012: 219.8

Journal:
Day 11 – Wednesday, July 25, 2012: 218.2 I am so done being fat. Maybe it was the jarring change from Many Point (heaven on earth) back to home and seeing my weight stubbornly at 220. Maybe it was my talk with my doctor yesterday morning when I had my physical. I don't know, but I am done playing games. When I talked with the doctor, he said I need to have a weight in mind and I said, "That's easy. 132. That was my weight when I was single." He said good. He didn't laugh. I thought to myself that maybe I could reach that weight. He brought up Weight Watchers, and I surprised myself by immediately saying that I thought the key to a successful weight loss program is "intermittent". Afterwards, I thought about my comment. No S has an intermittent strategy because you are free of restrictions on S days. The Novena Diet also has an intermittent strategy because you are free of restrictions outside nine days of dieting. I don't know what I'm doing, but at the moment I think I'm going to count 1,000 calories per day at least until I'm down to 210 and then maybe I'll follow No S and stay below 215. I don't know. Something snapped for me this week, but it's been snapping for several months. I am just glad that I have not yet suffered any physical problems due to my obesity. I also had my mammogram, and it was good. The chances of breast cancer increase when you are obese. I feel as though I've been given a second chance, and I'm taking it.

11:30 AM: I think what changed for me was the doctor's positive reaction to my saying my weight goal was 132 pounds. He didn't react the way I had expected which was to indicate that this was an unrealistic goal. Well, why not? I can aim for it. My interim goal is now to get below 210 pounds ASAP and then maintain under 215 until next month when I can aim for below 205 pounds and maintain under 210.

6:40 PM: I am going to go on the Novena Diet for nine days starting tomorrow, with 10,000 calories available for 9 days. There will be 1,000 calories per day plus a 1,000 calorie buffer total for social events. After those nine days, I'll try to stay under 215 pounds until late next montha nd try to figure out what to do next.

Day 12 – Thursday, July 26, 2012: I decided to combine this Novena Diet with No S. Once I'm done with these nine days, I'll follow No S for one day. After each Novena Diet, I'll increase the number of days I follow it. There is something very good about No S, but it wasn't getting me to my goal weight, which is 132 pounds. I need a weight loss boost.

My 18 year old has been following No S since the start of summer, has been exercising almost every day, and has lost nearly 10 pounds. She definitely looks better -- much more toned. She is the typical super academic type, and it's good to see her treat her body well.

Now, do I tie her success to my failure and conclude I should go on No S? Yes and no. I don't want to be any weight but 132, and I seriously don't think No S alone would get me there. It will help me stay there, but it won't get me there.

12 PM: I'm going to follow No S without any S Days until August 2 but allow myself salads on a separate plate for meals.

Day 13 – Friday, July 27, 2012: 219.6 This morning, I had to drive my husband to work because his car is in the shop, and I was discussing how I could get the kids to help with some cleanup in the backyard. I proposed that we get them to fill one bag per day. He said was that he wanted us to identify piles to be cleaned up. That is a perfect contrast between process (what you do) and goal (end result). What I don't like about No S is that it is process-oriented rather than results-oriented, and I want to be confident in reach a certain weight. Right now, my body can stand a rest from all my changes in dieting, so I'm just going to follow No S until late next week. Tom and Tommy will be canoeing with the Boy Scout starting next Friday, and that would be a good time to go on my Novena Diet. I think I'm going to just count 1,000 calories per day until I get below 210 and then return to the No S diet until after Labor Day when I'll try counting calories until I get below 205 pounds.

3 PM: OK. This is not going to work. I need to choose, and I choose that Novena Diet. I actually got below 135 and maintained that weight until I got pregnant with my first child a age 35. It will take a long time -- more than 2 years -- but I can do it.

(Start of Novena Diet #1) Sunday, July 29, 2012: 219.8 I return to the diet I so much wanted to avoid. I became a social recluse when I was following it. Now I will follow it, but with a few changes: first, I'll try to avoid any calories until 3 PM which is similar to Lenten fasting rules in the middle ages, and second, I'll attempt to estimate calories when there are social occasions. Nine days of 1,000 calories per day with the goal to be below 215 pounds and then maintain that weight for an entire month before going on another Novena Diet. That's it.

10:38 AM: Having decided to return to the Novena Diet, I decided I should stop posting here. Some had told me that I can keep a journal on SparkPeople, and I went on and created the name NovenaDiet. If you want to follow me, that's where I'll be.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the No S Diet. It is one in which you follow a process to normalize eating. For me, however, there is a need for a specific weight, and so I need to see that I will reach my goal of 132 pounds.

Thanks in particular to BrightAngel but also to others who have given me ideas over the years. This is a tough, tough problem.

I'm going to follow the religious idea of fasting. Our pastor once said Christ said, "When you fast," not "If you fast". Fasting was a part of every Christian's life not too long ago. Why? Especially in the High Middle Ages, there was plenty of food. The problem today is not an abundance of food but rather a dearth of fasting, a time when the body can learn just how much food it needs.

Thank you so much.

Monday, July 30, 2012: 219.6 Well, that was quick. I created a journal, but I didn't like how you have to give a title to every entry and then see one entry at a time by opening it from the title page. I'll come back here.

My diet is a relation of No S. His is on a weekly basis, and mine is on a monthly basis, but both involve intermittent restrictions.

I'm not going to fast. What I'm going to do is cut back for the first nine days of each month. When I get the idea in my head to eat something because I imagine hunger, I'll let myself on non-Novena Days and not let myself on Novena Days. The Novena Diet will occur every first of the month through the ninth of the month.

3 PM: My conversation with the Mayo doctor last week really affected me. He started by telling me that I needed a goal, and I told him instantly I had one: 132 pounds. His response was not mockery, which was good. In following No S, I was trying to accept the weight that resulted from following the program, and I kept adjusting the program to try to lower the weight. My focus was on process rather than goal.

The second thing that affected me was his recommendation of Weight Watchers and my immediate reaction that I thought the key to a successful diet was the word "intermittent." This reaction surprised me, and I tried to explain myself.

In the last week, I've considered what to do, and I think my best bet is just to set aside the first nine days of every month to try to cut back and lose weight and then maintain a lower weight to the beginning of the next month when I would start off again with a lower weight than in the previous month.

This is a simple process that allows both the exercise of willpower and relaxation necessary to strengthen willpower. The psychologist Roy Baumeister in his book on willpower said that willpower is like a muscle: you need to exercise it, and you need to give it time to recover from exercise.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012: 220.2 My weight is just fluctuating around. With the Novena Diet, I have a shot to my system and lose five pounds in a short period of time and then keep that amount off. That's how it worked when I was single. That's what I'm trying starting tomorrow. I'm not exactly sure right now how I'm going to fast, but I am thinking of simply not eating until dinner and then eating only dinner. This may sound harsh, but it's how people ate during Lent for hundreds of years: one meal a day.

9:46 PM: I am going to try doing exactly what I did when I was single, which was to count 1,000 calories per day for nine days, weigh myself on Day 1, and then not weigh myself until after the diet is over. My hope is that I'm down five pounds on the scale by then.

Day 1 – Wednesday, August 1, 2012: 221.0 Yesterday there was Last Supper eating in anticipation of the restrictions for nine days. My experiments in fasting have yielded the unexpected, counter intuitive results that I actually feel less hungry if I eat nothing than if I eat little. I am going to try eating nothing until evening and then eating only 1,000 calories.

8:25 PM: I started eating at 2:43 PM and had bread, pasta, and spaghetti sauce. I forgot that fasting changes my choice of foods. I think I'm dropping the idea of counting calories and will just focus on how late I eat. My goal will be 6 PM and after until August 9.

9:39 PM: The kids are all in bed, and I have a minute to think. Tom and I have had many discussions about Tommy who is a very smart kid who seems to do the minimum to get by. He's 16 now and still saying he wants to be a doctor. I can only do so much and what I can do is try to get him to realize that his actions today are not leading to his goals tomorrow. Tonight, I told him that part of being mature is taking on your responsibilities without being asked. He asked me why he should do his chores unless told. How is this kid going to succeed at college?

At any rate, I think there is some similarity between parenting a teen and managing a body's weight. Like a rebellious teen, my body does what it wants. Binge behavior is almost not a matter of choice. I think daily fasting could be a way to guide my body without controlling it so much that I binge.

So -- no calorie counting, no commitment to exercise (although I am working my way back to my exercise routine from before we went on vacation for the Fourth of July), no commitment to not weigh myself.... I am putting everything on not eating until 6 PM, if socially not awkward to do so, from the first to the ninth of every month.

Day 2 – Thursday, August 2, 2012: 219.2 The much lower weight surprised me, but really it should not have. After all, it's within the few pounds of fluctuation I've been experiencing in the last month or two. Still, I decided to just fast until 3 PM. I don't feel nervous about fasting until 3 PM because many Greek Orthodox fast until 3 PM (called the "ninth hour") on all Wednesdays and Fridays and during Lent. (see below.)

I am not going to worry about my end weight for these nine days. If I weigh less on September 1 than on August 1, that is what will make me think there is progress.

I am still thinking about conversation with the Mayo doctor. When he brought up Weight Watchers, I told him I had tried it and then said that, if there is one thing I know about dieting, it's that it has to be intermittent. That one word which came out of my mouth in response to his recommendation is what really changed things for me. I had the answer all along but just didn't recognize it. If you adopt a lifestyle change, then you feel hungry all the time and need incredible willpower. Fasting is like Atkins in that you don't really feel hungry. Atkins was right that it is carbohydrates which make you feel hungry. The difference between Atkins and fasting is that I only fast until 3 PM and then can eat whatever I please. What a deal!!! And the healthcare world thinks the Greeks have low heart disease because of what they eat, not looking at their fasts...

Below is off a Greek Orthodox Web site:
Concerning Fasting on Wednesday and Friday
An Excerpt from Exomologetarion (A Manual of Confession)
by St. Nikodemos the Hagiorite
Canon 69 of the Holy Apostles designates that any hierarch or priest or deacon or subdeacon or reader or chanter who does not fast during Great Lent and Wednesday and Friday is to be deposed. If a layperson does not fast during these times (unless he cannot fast on account of bodily illness), he is to be excommunicated. Do you see how the Apostles numbered the Wednesday and Friday fast together with the fast of Great Lent? Therefore, just as the fast of Great Lent consists in the eating of dry foods, namely, to eat but once a day, at the ninth hour, without consuming oil or wine, likewise, the fast of Wednesday and Friday is to be conducted in the exact same manner. St. Epiphanios also says: "We fast on Wednesday and Friday until the ninth hour."[16] Likewise, Philostorgios says that the fast of Wednesday and Friday does not consist in the abstention from meat, but it designates that one is not to eat any food until the evening.[17] St. Benedict (Canon 41) also designates that the fast of Wednesday and Friday is until the ninth hour. And Balsamon forbids the consumption of shellfish on Wednesday and Friday just as during Great Lent. Let us therefore stop insensibly thinking that the fast of Wednesday and Friday is not an Apostolic directive, for behold, the Apostles in their Canons number this fast together with that of Great Lent, and in the Apostolic Constitutions they number it together with the fast of Holy Week, saying:

"One must fast during Holy Week and Wednesday and Friday."[18] But why should I say that this regulation is only of the Apostles? It is a regulation of Christ Himself, for this is what the Apostles say in Book V, ch. 14 of the Constitutions:

"He (that is, Christ) commanded us to fast on Wednesday and Friday."[19] We therefore fast on these days according to the Holy Hieromartyr Peter (Canon 15): "On Wednesday because on this day the council of the Jews was gathered to betray our Lord; on Friday because on this day He suffered death for our salvation." The divine Jerome says the same thing.

4 PM: Here is something from a Greek Orthodox Web site:
Living an Orthodox Life: Fasting
Gluttony makes a man gloomy and fearful, but fasting makes him joyful and courageous.
And, as gluttony calls forth greater and greater gluttony, so fasting stimulates greater and greater endurance.
When a man realizes the grace that comes through fasting, he desires to fast more and more.
And the graces that come through fasting are countless....
~Saint Nikolai of Zicha~

I have no idea how fasting can make a person joyful, but it is very easy to fast until 3 PM. I am thinking that I may try fasting from the First Friday of every month to the second Saturday of the month and then add in every Wednesday and Friday. In this way, I won't need to be concerned that I would regain all the weight lost during the first nine days of the month, and I won't be too concerned if I end up having lunch with a friend on Fast Days. This approach seems best suited to someone who wants to eat freely when with others, since most eating when socializing occurs in the afternoon except for when I go out to coffee and then I can have black coffee on Fast Days.

10 PM: Hakuna Matata! What a wonderful phrase
Hakuna Matata! Ain't no passing craze

It means no worries for the rest of your days

It's our problem-free philosophy
Hakuna Matata!

The lyrics are from The Lion King, and I thought of them as I marveled at just how easy it is to fast. The question now is this: Will I lose weight and keep it off? Time will tell.

Day 3 – Friday, August 3, 2012: 219.8 Well, today's weight certainly burst my bubble! I'm tweaking again, but I think I'm very close to what diet I will follow. Here is what I am doing:
1. First Friday to second Saturday of the month, I will eat after 3 PM and count 1,000 calories a day if able to avoid social situations involving food that cannot be counted (ie. I can have black coffee out but not dinner.) If have a social situation, eat only at that social situation all day.
2. On Wednesdays and Fridays, avoid eating until after 3 PM.

11:30 AM: The Greek Orthodox fasts involve both fasting until 3 PM and restricting what is eaten for the rest of the day. I think that both may be necessary in order to lose weight, and I'm not too keen on all the hassle associated with restriction of certain foods. I'd rather just go for a strict calorie count. This means I'll not worry about fasting on Wednesdays and Fridays and just stick with the Novena Diet once per month.

7 PM: I had a not so perfect day and came in somewhere between 1,000 and 1,200 calories. With my prior Novena Diet, the slip may have ended the diet. The advantage of this diet is that I know I am not dieting except in this nine day period so I need to continue. It will be interesting to see how much I weigh tomorrow.

9:43 PM: I am unhappy that I had ice cream and now am somewhere over 1,500 calories, but I can certainly understand why I did it. Right now, I feel very uncomfortable because of sensations in my face. It's not my stomach: it's my face. This is why a diet needs to be intermittent: it's downright unpleasant, and who can live day after day after day feeling dissatisfied with the amount eaten? Only those who have no choice. In just the last few days, I read an autobiography of Frederick Douglass, a man who escaped slavery. He talked about how low it was of slave owners to give their slaves too little to eat, that most gave them adequate amounts of terrible food.
Last edited by Kathleen on Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:22 am, edited 28 times in total.

BrightAngel

Perfectionism

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:08 pm

Kathleen wrote:I figured out why NoS works for many but not for me.
It is the perfectionism in me that prevents it from working.
I'm not ready to return to No S, but I understand why it is effective for many.
Perfectionism will keep EVERY diet from working. :!:
:idea: SEE:
http://www.diethobby.com/blog.php?ax=v&nid=631

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:12 pm

BrightAngel is a wise woman, Kathleen, who has learned much through experience. Her blog post on Perfectionism needs to be read by us all over and over.

"Perfectionism will keep EVERY diet from working."

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:29 pm

I'm here. Let me think about it. Thanks.
Kathleen

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:47 pm

BrightAngel,

Let me think some more about this. What I could not stand about No S was the potential for failure, which is why I came up with the idea of a rolling average of two Exception Days per month. The problem with that approach, however, is that you don't create a habit if you are counting and making a decision based on availability of Exception Days. The other problem, which you pointed out, is the temptation to add a few Exception Days here and there.

Kathleen
Last edited by Kathleen on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:00 pm

Kathleen, ANY diet that includes some type of portion control
would be better than a vague sort of ...eat when hungry, stop when full,
or fast and then binge.

Most of the newer Intuivie Eating diets ...
.. a couple of these are: "The Eden Diet" and "Beyond Chocolate" ....
no longer use the words eat "until full"
but have changed that wording to say eat until physically "satisfied"

These newer IE diets also clearly say "eat small portions"
...and many of them spell out what they mean by small portions...
i.e. THAT The TOTAL AMOUNT of food eaten (in a small portion)
should normally not be larger than the size of one's own fist .

No matter WHY we think we need to be perfect,
it is impossible to achieve ...ever...especially re eating.
No matter what the rule or restriction...
3 Plates a day, like No S, ..... or small portions the size of one's fist when hungry
it is impossible for ANYONE to adhere to any eating rule perfectly for any length of time.

Pick a plan, and then just stick with working toward doing the plan,
patiently doing the best you can, one-day-at-a-time.
When you fail, IMMEDIATELY, the next minute or hour,
pick-yourself-up and continue on with the plan to which you've committed yourself..

nosnos

Post by nosnos » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:09 am

Hi Kathleen,
I hope you had a good time while you were away :)
I absolutely 2nd what Brightangel says. If it is Ok with you I would like to add another few things that might be worth thinking about:
1. Is self acceptance- It might be worthwhile for you to look at some self acceptance/body acceptance literature or web pages. (Google it) I often pick up on negative statments about yourself in your writing- Perhaps if you felt a little more happy in your own skin right now then you would find it easier to have patience (which I believe is the real key to lasting weight loss) to make some real headway with your eating behaviour.- It sounds odd but it doesn't mean you'd stop making effort to lose weight or look after yourself. But it can make a big difference to how you feel right now (which is the only place you ever are!) and this positive influence can help you in your efforts and make the journey more pleasant.
2. I also wonder whether all the time spent thinking about dieting is a welcome distraction from something else you don't want to be thinking about- after all no s worked for you, but it seems to be the last thing you want to try! I don't mean this to be a judgement- if it doesn't seem true for you then please discount it!!
3. Another thing is I wonder if re-naming diets is helping you to change plans more frequently? How many different versions of Many Point diet have there been? How many Bright Line diets? Nobody could say that you are doing the Bright Line diet wrong as it doesn't exist? How do you know if you are doing it wrong? It probably feels far more positive to tweak a diet or re-name a diet then it does to quit one- however the sum total is the same. Instead of accepting a fail, dusting yourself off and moving on. The diet is ended with a ceremonial binge and a new one is created. With a plan like no s the boundarys are clear- you know when you've fallen off plan. I think that's important when you want to stick to something and I don't know if you have that in your presant system.
As with all my words to you- I hope you take anything that seems true to you and discount the rest! Also if my writing is ever unwelcome or too much- then please say.
However I hope something I say helps you and I hope you are well.
X nosnos

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:14 pm

nos nos said

Instead of accepting a fail, dusting yourself off and moving on, the diet is ended with a ceremonial binge and a new one is created.

nos nos has pointed out a cycle of behavior you can choose to change

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:11 pm

BrightAngel, TexArk, and nosnos,

I need to think. Your input is welcome and appreciated. I am sitting here thinking, "What the h*ll happened that I ended up this fat?" I'm not making any decisions right now. I'm going to eat minimally and look at my exercise program.

Is this whole thing some sort of distraction? I've wondered that myself at times. So much effort for no results...

Take a look at this image:
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/UQlwHBHd ... y+Brownell

The big guy is Kelly Brownell, one of the leading experts on obesity in the nation. He's the guy behind the so-called soda tax. Isn't he sufficiently motivated to be thin? His entire career is in obesity research.

It's a tough problem. I felt embarrassed going to the doctor, but the nurse was even fatter than I am. The doctor was an Indian man, meticulous, very empathetic, a typical Mayo doctor with great people skills... Maybe it was my conversation with him that got me to actually eat less yesterday.

Kathleen

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:09 am

The Blessings of Simplicity: August 4, 2012

The No S Diet:
Many different modifications over almost four years, especially one which allowed everything in front of me at one meal instead of one plateful at one meal.
(Month 1) Day 1 - Monday, September 8, 2008: 215.0

The Blessings of Simplicity:
One plateful of food at each of three meals per day.
No sweets.
Liquids allowed anytime.
S Days (no restrictions) every weekend.
A rolling average of two Exceptional Days (no restrictions just like on S Days) every month.
A commitment to develop and follow an exercise program.

(Month 1) Day 1 - Saturday, August 4, 2012: 220.6

Weight (Exceptional Days in Red and Weight Change from Prior Week in Red):
Day 1 – Saturday, August 4, 2012: 220.6 (2 Exceptional Days accumulated)
Day 2 – Sunday, August 5, 2012: 221.2
Day 3 – Monday, August 6, 2012: 221.6
Day 4 – Tuesday, August 7, 2012: 221.0
Day 5 – Wednesday, August 8, 2012: 220.4
Day 6 – Thursday, August 9, 2012: 219.6 First time below 220
Day 7 – Friday, August 10, 2012: 220.8
Day 8 – Saturday, August 11, 2012: 220.0 -.6 from prior Saturday
Day 9 – Sunday, August 12, 2012: 221.0 -.2 from prior Sunday
Day 10 – Monday, August 13, 2012: 221.0 -.6 from prior Monday
Day 11 – Tuesday, August 14, 2012: 220.4 -.6 from prior Tuesday
Day 12 – Wednesday, August 15, 2012: 219.6 -.8 from prior Wednesday
Day 13 – Thursday, August 16, 2012: 218.4 -1.2 from prior Thursday First time below 219 - one more pound in 7 days
Day 14 – Friday, August 17, 2012: 217.4 -3.4 from prior Friday First time below 218 - one more pound in 1 day
Day 15 – Saturday, August 18, 2012: 218.0 -2.0
Day 16 – Sunday, August 19, 2012: 219.8 -1.2
Day 17 – Monday, August 20, 2012: 219.8 -1.2
Day 18 – Tuesday, August 21, 2012: 219.0 -1.4
Day 19 – Wednesday, August 22, 2012: 218.4 -1.2
Day 20 – Thursday, August 23, 2012: 219.4
Day 21 – Friday, August 24, 2012: 218.4 -2.2 since Day 1
Day 22 – Saturday, August 25, 2012: 218.0 -2.6 since Day 1
Day 23 – Sunday, August 26, 2012: 219.2 -1.4 since Day 1
Day 24 – Monday, August 27, 2012:
Day 25 – Tuesday, August 28, 2012:
Day 26 – Wednesday, August 29, 2012:
Day 27 – Thursday, August 30, 2012:
Day 28 – Friday, August 31, 2012:

Journal:

Day 1 – Saturday, August 4, 2012: 220.6 I can't take it anymore. My sanity has to be worth something. There is so much up and down on every diet I have tried except No S. It's time to return to it. Being 195 is not optimal but it sure is better than where I am today. I can add exercise and limit myself to one plateful at meals.

This is a message to myself in case I am so foolish as to tweak this diet: READ MY LIPS! You have to live! You have a life! This is the only diet you have followed which could just fade into the background and you could focus on other things: your husband, your children, your dog, your job,... Spend the time you would have spent tweaking on exercise. You just spent a decade getting to this diet. How much better would a diet be if you spent another decade tweaking it?

10:30 AM: This post from nosnos on July 13th has been bothering me ever since I read it:
"There is a distinct pattern to your dieting and writing you start something, enthuse about it, find studys to back it up, convince yourself this is it, follow it for anything from one hour to a few days, start to modify, tweak a little more, binge and then with determination to change and disgust at yourself you start again.
Most of the plans you try are un-sustainable eg novena diet/ any variations on it, or fasting, or require unsustainable complex analytical systems and ratings that require you to think all the time about, what you eat, how much, when you eat and how you feel... I hate to break it to you but all these ideas will probably never work even if you stick to them, and you don't seem to be able to stick to them (I doubt anyone could longterm)
When you stopped no s when you where 25lbs lighter then you are you were actually still slowly losing weight- if you read back to the start (I really recommend you do) you tended to lose by gradual drops a plateau then a slightly bigger drop- I believe you quit no s because you didn't let the cycle finnish and you became un patient with your weight.
Kathleen what shines through your writing is that you are a really great woman, who is bravely trying to solve a big problem- I recommend you show yourself some kindness, re commit to no s, give yourself a year, if you reach a plateau then maybe (after a long time on plan) tweak to one plate only or 5 s-events per weekend day (which seems like a lot but it is far less than binging) . Do a little bit of exercise most days and stick with it. You will be eating less then you are now, you will be eating like a normal person, you will be able to stop looking for the answer and enjoy your life and eventually (it will take a long time but there is no short cut to this problem) YOU WILL BE A NORMAL HEALTHY WEIGHT- IT IS IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO IF YOU CAN STICK WITH NO S.
I am saying this as reading your story has helped me keep on track- PLEASE READ YOUR OWN JOURNAL FROM THE START AND LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES- GOD DOES NOT WANT YOU TO SUFFER AND SPEND YOUR LIFE LIKE THIS. "

I did not reread my journal. It would be too painful to do so. Yesterday I was downright rude to my 13 year old who just wanted to spend time with me but I had taken a bowl of ice cream into my bedroom to eat without anyone else seeing it, and she had asked to come in even though I had locked the door. Was the ice cream more important than my daughter?

One big mistake I think I made was in going down to 1 S Day per week from 2 S Days. That put a lot of pressure on me to make sure that the one S Day carried me through six days of N Day eating. I never lost any more weight.

Maybe I did just plateau and, had I stuck with No S with my rolling average of 2 Exception Days per month, I would be an even lower weight than today. Maybe. I'll never know. What I do know is that that Novena Diet and fasting both make eating front and center of my life, and that is not fair to others in my family.

Tom and Tommy are on a Boy Scout High Adventure trip to the Boundary Waters until the 12th (their last one), and this week the girls and I are buying new IKEA furniture for Katie and Ellie's room. The hardwood floors in Katie and Ellie's room were redone on Thursday. All their stuff is in the living room until we can move furniture in on Friday. Can't I focus on them and show appreciation to Anne who is being such a terrific help in planning, designing, buying, and building? A diet is best that requires minimal maintenance, and No S qualifies. I'm accepting the weight that results from it.

7 PM: There's a great description in Frederick Douglass' autobiography about how slave owners encouraged slaves to get drunk and generally descend into debauchery during their holiday between Christmas and New Years, such as by encouraging drinking contests to see which slave could drink the most without getting drunk. The purpose of this, Douglass thought, was so that the slave would prefer working in the fields to how lousy he felt getting so drunk. I am reminded of that story now that my stomach is stuffed from my S Day. I'll be happy to return to an N Day.

Day 2 – Sunday, August 5, 2012: 221.2 I can weigh myself. I just needed to figure out how to have one set of dates, and what I can do is mark Exceptional Days in red. My weight went up yesterday, of course. It was an S Day, and I made use of it. This next week is going to be really difficult for me because I am going to follow the one plateful rule which I have not followed previously. This one plateful rule may well be the reason why I never got below 195 following the No S Diet because I didn't really follow it previously. I followed part of it: no snacks and no sweets.[/u]

9:40 PM: I am stuffed, totally stuffed, and that's just fine because I need to suffer through five days of limiting myself to one plateful at each of three meals and that's it. This limitation will be an incredible shock to my system, and I am bracing for it. Over time, I'll get used to it and come to prefer it to free for all stuffing myself like I did this weekend. If a slave can prefer working in the fields to drinking himself sick, then I can surely end up preferring plate-sized meals.

Day 3 – Monday, August 6, 2012: 221.6 I woke up with my hand all tingly. Lovely.... Is this nerve damage from excess glucose from the weekend, or did I sleep on my hand for some reason? At any rate, it's yet another indication I need to proceed, not look back, proceed....

8:30 PM: I thought it would be really hard, and it wasn't. It certainly wasn't anywhere near as difficult as those first few weeks on No S four years ago. We found new bedding for Katie and Ellie, and we got a rather large dog to dogsit for the next nine days. I want to keep busy.

8:50 PM: I think I'm done for the night. My only goal is to get to bed without eating. We just took the two dogs for a walk. Anne is at the gym but will be home soon. She has been a real trooper in helping to get the girls' room done. Here she is going off to college in a couple of weeks and out with me to buy bedding for her sisters.

Day 4 – Tuesday, August 7, 2012: 221.0 Last night, I read a column in our paper by author Harvey Mackay about XQ (execution quality) as a trait. He quoted Stephen Covey as saying: "Organizations that execute with excellence focus on very few clear objectives and align the focus of every worker and work group to those few goals. Can an organization execute its goals when its people are unclear on the goals, uncommitted to them, unempowered to achieve them and unaccountable for them? Got smart people? Got a vision? Good for you. Now, what about your XQ?"

Reading that reminded me of the comment I read years ago that people who lost weight successfully and maintained that weight tended to focus on something other than a number on a scale. They tended to focus on health as a goal. I think I need to set some specific goals with regard to exercise. My goal regarding eating and eating habits is set now. I remember my daughter saying once that she wanted a diet where she did not have to obsess over it all the time. That's why she chose to follow No S, and it's an awfully good reason.

Yesterday was a success. I'm not thinking of it that way, however. I'm thinking of it more along the lines of returning to a habit that should have been kept.

9:30 PM: Today was the fourth and last trip to IKEA in a week. We also bought swivel chairs at OfficeMax and now have all the furniture for Katie and Ellie's room. It's nice to be so busy and to have a goal of the room all set up by the time Tom and Tommy get home on Saturday night. Sometimes I think I think too much. All this tweaking was counterproductive, but maybe now I can settle down and just do. We've been talking back and forth for three years about redoing the girls room, and two weeks ago I asked Tom if we could go ahead before the school year. He said yes, and that was that. I simply dived into doing. Now it's time to do the same thing with the diet -- just do.

Day 5 – Wednesday, August 8, 2012: 220.4 Last night, as I was loading up my plate, I was reminded of how Reinhard said you can still eat like an idiot limiting yourself to one plateful but it is more difficult to fool yourself and others if you eat like an idiot. When I brought my masterpiece to the table, my 12 year old's jaw dropped and my 18 year old suggested a height limit. The 13 year old said something about food being buried in there.

Last night, I was worried and so worried I was up half the night and just got up now at 8:30 AM. My weight partially reflects the late hour, since I'm normally up before 7 and often before 6. Still, I am happy this morning because I realized I've already been through this. I've already been through months and months of getting up at midnight on Saturday to have a Haagen Dazs. I learned, and just have to remember what I learned, which is that I will not starve on this diet. I can calm down and eat what makes me feel good. There is no need to stuff myself.

5:30 PM: We are still working hard to have Katie and Ellie's room done by Saturday night, and I'm also caulking the shower. Meanwhile, I have thought very little about food. It occurred to me that the simple secret to a normal weight is to eat what is appropriate, neither too much nor too little, and the way to determine what is appropriate is to eat as much as makes me feel best. I had to overcome the fear of starvation from all those years of dieting, including my most recent attempt at the Novena Diet. My body will take care of itself, thank you. It doesn't interference from my mind telling me what I "should" weigh or how fast I "should" lose weight.

8:30 PM: I think I may just relax into following this approach and record my weight/ journal once per week. The best diet is the one that can fade into the background because it is as easy as and takes as much effort as flossing my teeth every morning: a habit that, once formed, requires little effort to follow.

Day 6 – Thursday, August 9, 2012: 219.6 It's possible I will be taking an Exceptional Day tomorrow. It depends on the circumstances of the evening. Meanwhile, last night, I had a conversation with my soon to be college student when I was taking her to the gym. She said her main concern about a diet was that it would not make her obsessed with food. She didn't say it, but I sure thought that she saw the problems in that by observing me! She likes only thinking about food three times per day. She also learned from her health class about the importance of exercise. Yes, she's right. I did not do any sort of vigorous exercise until I started using the exercise bike in April, and now a sinus problem I've had for five years just plain cleared up. It's great not to be taking kleenex everywhere!

9:30 PM: This evening, I attended a presentation on performance measurements, and my mind wandered to my conversation with the Mayo internist last month. It took a few weeks to crystalize, but I think that conversation with him was the final turning point for me. Here I am, just a couple of pounds until my all time high in weight, and I think the hard work in losing weight is all done. That sounds crazy, but the real work is not in following a diet. The real work is in finding one that works! How did this happen?

I go back to what that doctor said, and I am doing the exact opposite. There is no medical institution in the world better than the Mayo Clinic. Who am I to not follow his advice? Well, there's great saying that half of solving a problem is defining it, and he sure helped me define it.

First of all, he said I need a goal. He meant a weight goal because my response was that was easy: 132 pounds. He actually went on to say I weighed about 220, and he would recommend getting down to 170 or 50 pounds lower in one year.

Then he described how. He said to get rid of all the junk completely -- the pasta, the pastries, the ice cream, etc. He then recommended Weight Watchers.

I had an immediate negative reaction to Weight Watchers, having tried it and found it a miserable experience. My immediate reaction was it was not the way to go because, if there is one thing I have learned, it is that a diet needs to be intermittent, and I used that exact word intermittent.

Wow. I don't remember much else from the conversation, but I was surprised by the certainty of how I told him no that will not do -- I, someone who is not at all medically trained but who has tried every diet on earth.

A typical Mayo doctor, he had superb interpersonal skills. He didn't argue with me. He listened.

I'm done. I'm just plain done. I don't need a weight goal. What I need is a process.

Will I tweak again? Oh probably. Tweaking needs to be within the constraints of an intermittent diet. I will be back at Many Point next July. Between now and then, I need to focus on exercise.

It is such a relief I just cannot describe it. When I was single, I enjoyed backpacking, and there was a certain lightness from taking off the backpack after hiking with it all day. That's somewhat how I feel. The monkey is off my back.

The work is done. It's not that I have done most of the work in getting to this point. It's that I've done all of the work!

Day 8 – Saturday, August 11, 2012: 220.0 One half pound in a week: not bad. What is even better, however, is that fact that I'm not particularly interested in eating outside the No S rules. I have looked at the "sometimes" in the guide "except (sometimes) on days that start with an S" and thought "How could that ever be?" Four years ago, when I started No S, Normal Days were torture and S Days were a necessary and welcome release. Now, Normal Days seem normal. What was promised has happened: Normal Day behavior has finally carried over to the weekend.

8:30 AM: I am going to have coffee with a friend today, so maybe I'll splurge on a latte or mocha since it's Saturday. Life is sweet. I feel under control with this diet. It may be that I'll fluctuate in my emotions as I watch my weight up and down but slowly trending down. Patience is needed for this diet, but sanity is also provided. What would I want for my children? From my perspective now, it is to avoid the false promises of most diets that produce quick short term results only but instead have the long term perspective of wanting a life with health and sanity that is provided by orderliness in eating.

“Order is Heaven's first law; and this confessed, some are, and must be, greater than the rest, more rich, more wise; but who infers from hence that such are happier, shocks all common sense. Condition, circumstance, is not the thing; bliss is the same in subject or in king.†- Alexander Pope

9 PM: It must be that in eating to satisfaction and eating only periodically you learn to accept hunger as a natural part of the human experience and not view it as bad at all. "Don't spoil your appetite" is something I heard when I was growing up. We've lost the concept of wanting to be hungry when we eat.

Day 9 – Sunday, August 12, 2012: 221.0 It's 8:30 PM and, for some reason, today was a stomach-as-bottomless-pit day. My all time high in weight is 222.0, and it's not a stretch of the imagination to think that I'll be above that weight tomorrow. Would I be able to handle seeing that weight without deciding to change the diet? I'm not sure, but I don't want to take any chances. I am thinking, perhaps, of staying off the scale and off this board until September 1 when I can weight myself again. I know the trend is down, but that doesn't mean tomorrow's weight -- especially after an idiotic S Day -- will be down. There were weeks and weeks when I'd gain four pounds in one weekend.

Why? Why is it that sometimes I can handle the freedom of S Days and at other times I cannot? I don't know, frankly. All I know is that I can place some hope in the fact that I did at least not eat a lot one day last week. I did not eat a lot yesterday morning even though it was an S Day. My body needs time to adjust to this way of eating now that I've committed to it.

Day 10 – Monday, August 13, 2012: 221.0 Go figure. I'm the same weight as I was yesterday morning, even though I ate like an idiot.

I knew it was somewhere on the boards, and I finally found an article on how changing the focus of attention helps with what is called "willpower". It is here:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009 ... ntPage=all

An excerpt is here:
"At the time, psychologists assumed that children’s ability to wait depended on how badly they wanted the marshmallow. But it soon became obvious that every child craved the extra treat. What, then, determined self-control? Mischel’s conclusion, based on hundreds of hours of observation, was that the crucial skill was the “strategic allocation of attention.†Instead of getting obsessed with the marshmallow—the “hot stimulusâ€â€”the patient children distracted themselves by covering their eyes, pretending to play hide-and-seek underneath the desk, or singing songs from “Sesame Street.†Their desire wasn’t defeated—it was merely forgotten. “If you’re thinking about the marshmallow and how delicious it is, then you’re going to eat it,†Mischel says. “The key is to avoid thinking about it in the first place.â€

In adults, this skill is often referred to as metacognition, or thinking about thinking, and it’s what allows people to outsmart their shortcomings. (When Odysseus had himself tied to the ship’s mast, he was using some of the skills of metacognition: knowing he wouldn’t be able to resist the Sirens’ song, he made it impossible to give in.) Mischel’s large data set from various studies allowed him to see that children with a more accurate understanding of the workings of self-control were better able to delay gratification. “What’s interesting about four-year-olds is that they’re just figuring out the rules of thinking,†Mischel says. “The kids who couldn’t delay would often have the rules backwards. They would think that the best way to resist the marshmallow is to stare right at it, to keep a close eye on the goal. But that’s a terrible idea. If you do that, you’re going to ring the bell before I leave the room.â€

What I get from this is that a focus on weight loss actually increases the likelihood of failure. With most diets, the idea of "portion control" guarantees that you will always feel hungry and it's hard to ignore hunger that is constant.

I think my diet now could benefit from some benign neglect. I can eat three meals per day, loosen up on the weekend, and record weight and thoughts on Sunday night. My focus can shift to improving my inadequate exercise program, getting a job, getting a rug for the girls room.... lot of stuff!

What a nice thought... for my eating habits, eating, choice of foods to eat, etc. to simply slip into the background of habits that don't require much thought, habits like flossing my teeth every morning and making my bed every morning.

Day 11 – Tuesday, August 14, 2012: 220.4 -.6 It's hard to look at a weight loss of .2 pound in ten days (from Day 1 to Day 11), so I'm going to record my weight one week prior to today. For example, my weight last Tuesday is .6 pound lower than my weight this Tuesday.

This diet is really boring. There is nothing to it. I eat to satisfaction three times per day, and I wait for results.

Day 12 – Wednesday, August 15, 2012: 219.6 This morning, I took Anne to buy an iPad as a graduation gift. We had promised her 10% of scholarship money, so she had earned $500 because she was awarded a $5,000/year scholarship from the U. She wore a new pair of shorts this morning because she had lost enough weight to wear them. As I was walking with her into the mall, we were discussing her 10 pound + weight loss, and I told her I wish I knew at age 18 what I know now about weight loss. Then it occurred to me that my whole goal was to pass on to her the knowledge I had gained from weight loss experiments. I have, in fact, succeeded in my goal. I have in fact passed on to this gifted, hard-working daughter of mine the knowledge that I have gained from years of frustrating failure. There are memories that are like snapshots in my mind, and this morning's memory of my saying that to my Annie will be one of them. My love for that child is what has motivated me ever since January when she was in 3rd grade and rushed into the house to raid the refrigerator and I knew then and there she would have a weight problem. She is overweight now, but she won't be. She's learned what I have learned, which is that you need intermittent eating to satisfaction.

Day 13 – Thursday, August 16, 2012: 218.4 I want to elaborate on my view that a "portion control" approach to dieting is not just wrong or counterproductive but is downright evil, and I am going to use the writings of Frederick Douglass to do it. Frederick Douglass was a slave who escaped to freedom when in his early 20s. He wrote a short autobiography when he was in his late 20s and a longer autobiography when he was in his late 30s. I have read his shorter autobiography twice in the last month and last night picked up his longer autobiography.

Having moved when I was in middle school, I missed out on learning about the Civil War and have never read about slavery. What I read in the autobiography shocked me. Sure, slaves were treated inhumanely, but Douglass provided details like these:
1. He never knew his birthday. He never knew a slave who knew his birthday. Part of the reason for this is that parents didn't know how to use a calendar.
2. Children were separated from their mother when they were young because women of child-bearing age could recover and go work in the fields. Slave children were brought up by people too old to work in the fields, and Frederick was lucky enough to be cared for by his own grandmother.
3. When his grandmother got too old to care for children, her owner built her a hut and let her care for herself. She died alone.
4. A slave who went into water to avoid a whipping was simply shot to death, and there was no consequence for the action because only slaves witnessed it.
5. When his owner died and he was off serving another family as a personal attendant to a boy, he was shipped back home to be assessed for value, just like the farm animals.

Throughout his writings, Frederick Douglass wrote about the particular cruelty of slaves not getting enough to eat. I will quote from this book as I read it, but right now I'm simply going to comment that we obese have bought the idea of "portion control" hook, line, and sinker, attributing to weak willpower the drive to eat to satisfaction. I think binge behavior may come from the body's drive to get enough to eat and the need to overeat to make up for not having gotten enough to eat.

The book is just too riveting for my main impression to be that of the cruelty of slaves not getting enough to eat. In fact, what stands out for me is that grandmother dying alone. Still, it is instructive to me that Douglass focused so much on times when he went hungry or when he witnessed other slaves go hungry.

5 PM: I don't think people who recommend "portion control" are evil. I think they could be very good people who are misguided. The idea of "portion control" is evil.

Here are some examples of hunger from My Bondage and My Freedom by Frederic Douglass:

1. Chapter III: The last day he saw his mother (at no more than age 8 or 9) was the day that the cook (who went by the name of Aunt Katy) "adopted, that day, her favorite mode of punishing me, namely, making me go with food all day -- that is, from after breakfast.....I was too hungry to sleep.... My mother threatened her (the cook) with complaining to old master in my behalf; for the latter, though harsh and cruel himself, at times, did not sanction the meanness, injustice, partiality, and oppressions enacted by Aunt Katy in the kitchen."

2. Chapter IV: "Want of food was my chief trouble the first summer at my old master's... I have often been so pinched with hunger, that I have fought with the dog ... for the smallest crumbs that fell from the kitchen table...Nevertheless, I sometimes got full meals and kind words from sympathizing old slaves."

3. Chapter XIV: "Not to give a slave enough to eat, is meanness intensified, and it is so recognized among slaveholders generally, in Maryland. The rule is, no matter how coarse the food, only let there be enough of it."

4. Chapter XIV:"I was sure of getting enough to eat at Covey's, even if I suffered in other respects. This, to a hungry man, is not a prospect to be regarded with indifference."

Day 14 – Friday, August 17, 2012: 217.4 I am going to finish up writing about Douglass' book above as I read it and not intermingle the information with my journal. This morning, I had to bring Tom to work because his car was in the shop. I had had Anne drive me to Costco to get tires rotated on the van, and while I was dropping of the keys Anne was playing with the speedometer, pounding on the plastic to get the speedometer higher. She succeeded in having the needle spin all the way around and now the speedometer is broken. I had to laugh. I just had to laugh. What a dumb trick!

So -- I had no time to floss my teeth this morning or eat breakfast, and on the way back I stopped at Menards. By the time, I got home to have breakfast, it was 9 AM.

Was I famished? Not at all. I liked getting a little hungry before eating a meal. Also, I did not like having the feeling of not having flossed my teeth. Still, I had fallen out of a habit due to circumstances, and I had to make an effort to floss my teeth when I returned home.

Why am I writing about this triviality? Because there is no effort involved in flossing my teeth when I normally do it, which is while my bath is running, but there was effort when I did it just now. I was taken out of my routine.

That's right where I am with No S. It is now a habit as effortless as flossing my teeth, and it takes no effort just like flossing my teeth takes no effort.

While I am on the exercise bike, I am listening to CDs that were produced by David Allen on his book Getting Things Done. He talks about project work and the question, "When do you know it is done?" The example was development of a compensation system. When do you know it is done? Some of the specific tasks for the project are setting grade levels and setting salary ranges by grade level. For this particular example, there is an implementation period, and then there is ongoing maintenance. Of course, over time, there will be changes, as salary levels need to change with inflation.

It occurred to me as I was listening to his talk that I am now in maintenance with No S. While I was happy to have gone down 1 pound in 1 day, it was not anywhere near as thrilling that I am enjoying the feeling of building up an appetite or to feel happy that I am eating to satisfaction at every meal. Getting hungry is not difficult. Enduring constant hunger is torture.

Day 15 – Saturday, August 18, 2012: 218.0 At midnight, I had a Haagen Dazs bar, several Milano cookies, and a PayDay candy bar. Does that fact distress me? Not in the least. As long as I follow the letter of this diet, I will succeed because the spirit follow the letter: eventually your body's craving for sweets declines. I've already been through this four years ago, but this time around is just much less severe. If I want to indulge once it is Saturday, I will. The mistake was in trying to restrict my S Days.

I am confident of this, but it is understandable if others are not. After all, I now weigh 3 pounds more than when I started the No S Diet nearly four years ago.

9:30 AM: Since I got up, I have had two Haagen Dazs bars, about 5 Milano cookies, a plum, and a bowl of Cheerios with craisins. I am stuffed, and it feels good. Is it possible that human nature craves occasional "feasts"? The religious calendar for any religion of which I am familiar (which, frankly, isn't saying much) includes both times of feasting and times of fasting. We Catholics have Christmas and Easter for feasting and Lent for fasting. I think there is wisdom in this.

9:30 PM: There was over the top eating all day, and I had no forewarning at all that I would desire this type of eating. It wasn't until last night that I decided to buy all these goodies at the store -- the PayDay, the Haagen Dazs ice cream, the Milano cookies. I was actually out at OfficeMax and Target, special time with Katie, to buy her school supplies. The goodies were bought at Target, not a grocery store. I do not look at this day as one that I judge as a personal failure. Instead, I think "huh." My emotion is one of curiosity rather than disgust. I believe in this diet. I believe I will lose weight over time but, for some reason, my body just wanted an overwhelming amount of food today. Last night, I waited until midnight to eat, and I know that it was those hours of being willing to wait to eat that make the difference between being of normal weight and being obese. It seems to make no logical sense. Why does it matter if you consumer 5,000 calories between midnight Saturday and 9 PM Saturday vs. between 9 PM Friday and 9 PM Saturday? I know why, but I cannot clearly articulate it. The delay actually has a long term impact on the amount eaten, maybe not on this particular day but over weeks and months of following this diet. I'm happy and confident that I'm on the path of liberty, liberty from food obsession and obesity!

Day 16 – Sunday, August 19, 2012: 219.8 That was a performance not to be repeated for a time. I am not at all interested in indulging in sweets at the moment and will even delay having breakfast. It's not that I feel sick. It's more that my body is repulsed by the thought of food. I'll have my coffee, go to church, and then perhaps have some breakfast. Having just read this in Douglass' autobiography, I am reminded of the slaveholder practice of punishing stealing food by force feeding. The example given was of what would happen to a slave who stole some molasses. The punishment would be for the slaveholder to buy a large quantity of the poorest quality of molasses and force the slave to eat and eat and eat! I wasn't forced to eat yesterday, but excessive indulgence certainly turned me against continuing. I'm still down over a pound from last Sunday, and I'm ready to continue to lose! My expectation is that I will never again, in my entire life, see 220 or above on the scale.

6 PM: I ate more than on a normal weekday and less -- far less -- than yesterday. Does it really matter what I do on any particular day? No. I am tracking trivialities. It really doesn't matter how I feel or how much I eat on any given day. What matters is the trend over the long term.

I am thinking it may be best for me just to track my weight and record my thoughts once per month at the start of the month. I'm not going to lose a lot of weight quickly by following this diet. It will be slow going. It's like watching water come to a boil -- boring, boring, boring. It is better for me to turn my attention elsewhere. I'm not going anywhere. I'm sticking with this diet. I got my umpteenth copy of The No S Diet yesterday and covered it in contact paper. It will stay on my nightstand. I think I'll read a chapter per week, every week.

Day 17 – Monday, August 20, 2012: 219.8 I'm not yet ready to turn my attention to other matters, so I won't force it. Anne gets dropped off at college in a mere nine days, and I'm extracting every last bit of labor from her instead of focusing on her. She is being a good sport about it. Now that we've finished Katie and Ellie's room, I'm taking her over to the site of Tommy's Eagle project so she can draw up a diagram for placement of plants. She has an artist's flair, and I certainly do not. I will be taking her to Mall of America with a friend, and she'll be shopping for clothes with her cousin, and she's tutoring and babysitting. All of a sudden, she'll be gone. She's only about 20 minutes' drive away, but I won't see her again until Thanksgiving once we drop her off. We have set her on a course, and now she must choose her path. I am very pleased that she has worked her way up to quite a good exercise program (40 minutes 4 times per week on the treadmill at 4 mph) and has lost more than 10 pounds. She has become my inspiration, just as I was inspired to find a way out of the obesity trap because I saw her headed into it when she was in elementary school. I so hope she continues to exercise and lose weight when she is in college. When I was a freshman, sadly, I gained 30 pounds, going from 117 to 150.

9:45 PM: Sadly, there is something of a struggle tonight. My secret weapon is 2% fat milk which is satisfying but does not break the no snack rule. I ran around with the kids a lot today -- to the beach, to the gym, to the doctor... Still, there is a gnawing sense that I want to eat more. I can live with that gnawing sense knowing that I can eat as much as I want in just a few days. All I need to do today is put up with the feeling that I haven't eaten enough. I am definitely less patient with the kids as a result. Actually, I'm just more irritated. If Tom is sick, why was he not in bed but instead was parked in front of the TV? Why didn't anyone put the dog out? Can't Ellie just accept that sometimes water stays in your ear even after you are out of the lake? This sort of stuff usually doesn't irritate me but it did tonight, and I think the reason for my irritation is I would like to eat more and can't.

Day 18 – Tuesday, August 21, 2012: 219.0 This diet seems so painfully slow in part because there is a great deal of fluctuation across a week due to S Days. It helps me to track my weight loss from one weekday to the next. Here I am, today, at 1.4 pounds less than I was one week ago today. I can focus on that fact and not on the fact that I weigh more than on Friday when I weighed 217.4 pounds. I needed to be able to stuff myself over the weekend to be able to endure the difficulties -- actually, they aren't so great -- of not snacking or eating sweets during the week. I can know the first time I get below a specific weight, but I cannot know the last time I am at or above a certain weight. At any rate, I suspect this may be my last time at 219 or above. If I continue at this pace, I may get below 200 pounds by the end of the year. Wouldn't that be sweet!

Last night was just a memorably beautiful evening, and the girls and I were at the beach until closing at 7:45 PM. I wore capris. I was going to wear shorts, but Tommy said they looked really bad. As I lay on the beach not going in the water because my capris would have gotten wet, I thought with regret of all the things I have missed because of my weight. Even there, last night, I would have been in the water had I been able to look presentable in a swimsuit. With some degree of optimism, I also thought, "Next year... Next year will be different, and I can hardly wait." At least I will have passed on to my children the lessons I have learned about how to manage your weight.

6 PM: I just had a huge meal (yes, on one plate) and would like to eat a whole lot more. The way I feel right now reminds me of how I would come to feel on diets: I felt as though no amount of eating would satisfy my hunger. In fact, I kept with me a quote from a book called The Obesity Epidemic in which it says that the formerly obese are in a psychological state of starvation. Why? Why, when I limit myself to one meal, do I feel like I am starving? No idea. I do think the answer is physical, however. It's not food addiction or emotional hunger or any of a myriad of non-physical explanations. For me, on a Tuesday night, to calculate that I have three days and six hours before I once again can stay up to midnight to eat Haagen Dazs bars is sufficient for me to be able to stand this feeling of starving. The sense of starvation will end. All I have to do is be patient. The best way to be patient is to turn my attention elsewhere. Let's see: oh, there are lots and lots of things that can take my attention from feeling hungry now, especially since I know I get to be completely satisfied in three days and six hours.

Day 19 – Wednesday, August 22, 2012: 218.4 I woke up last night because I felt hungry. It's not as if I didn't eat a lot last night because I did. In fact, I brought out the No S book to read to Tommy and Anne about how the one plate rule helps you to see that you are being a pig. It helps me to see the weight loss from one weekday to the next. I see slow progress, but really it isn't all that slow. I'm losing about one pound per week.

8:30 AM: There is just a ton of energy involved in trying to come up with a perfect diet/exercise plan/etc. I need "good enough." Now that I've settled on No S, I've turned my attention to exercise. This morning, I am returning to strengthening exercises from Strong Women Stay Slim. It's a start. I've already returned to 30 minutes on the exercise bike three times per week. What I need is one more 30 minute aerobic activity three times per week, and I'm going to try the Wii Fit which we have.

11 AM: It's a gorgeous late summer day, Anne is leaving for college a week from today, and I feel incredibly grumpy, not because of Anne leaving but because I feel hungry. This is ridiculous. I had a big bowl of cereal this morning. There is no reason why I should feel hungry. I know it. I also know I've been through this countless times. This is the feeling that results in my breaking my diet. I see two paths ahead of me. In one, I get temporary relief from the feeling of hunger by stuffing myself, but then I keep gaining weight, keep limiting my activities due to my weight, get more and more disgusted with myself, and end up reclusive due to embarrassment. I've been down this path for years. The other path is one of sticking with the diet and getting thinner over time, gradually losing the feeling of hunger or at least learning to tolerate periodic feelings of hunger. Over time, I stick to an exercise program, become more active, become more social, and enjoy my life more and more. Which do I choose? Immediate relief or long-term relief? I am not wrestling with this question at all. Going from 200 pounds to 220 pounds was a sea change in how I feel. I feel much, much worse at 220. I can hardly wait for the weight to drop, and if periods of feeling grumpy or not being able to sleep are part of the deal, so be it.

8:45 PM: I should call this "the bottomless pit syndrome." Right now, I feel hungry, so hungry as to feel distracted. I have had two glasses of 2% milk and a glass of wine in the last 30 minutes, and it has helped very little . What is likely to help most is sleep, and that is where I am headed. Why? Why? Why? I guarantee this is a physical reaction to less food, but why? The amount I've been eating has certainly been sufficient. Who knows why? That's a matter for scientists. What I need is to know how to deal with this feeling that I want to eat and eat and eat.

Day 20 – Thursday, August 23, 2012: 219.4 I survived without snacks, sweets, or seconds, and this morning there is no "bottomless pit syndrome." My weight is up, not surprisingly given the milk and the wine and the very large platefuls of food at meals, but I did survive without breaking the diet. I believe in this diet and am sticking with it.

8:30 AM: This morning I had some French bread and a nectarine for breakfast. I at about 2/3 of the nectarine when I realized I was no longer enjoying it and threw it away. What a change from 12 hours ago!!! What happened? No idea. I love fruit, especially summer fruit like peaches, plums, nectarines, strawberries, and blueberries. To not finish a nectarine is almost inconceivable.

8:30 PM: I did not feel hungry today. I even got home at 7:30 with no dinner and took the dog for a walk around the block before having dinner. Last night, I was complaining about "bottomless pit syndrome". Tonight I am amazed about how little food satisfied me.

Day 21 – Friday, August 24, 2012: 218.4 Last night, I remembered that I had not yet eaten dinner as I was walking out the door with the dog on her leash. It was surprising to me that I felt so little hunger. This morning, at about 4 AM, I was awake because I felt hungry except maybe it wasn't really hungry. Maybe I'm just not used to having my stomach anything less than stuffed. Of course, I could have been awake because my son lost the paperwork for his Eagle project which is now scheduled for September 8 and he has to figure out what to do. At any rate, I have been plagued by insomnia whenever I have tried to diet. The nice thing about this diet is there are breaks on the weekend. I really, really, really do not want to see 219.0 or above ever again, and that desire may affect how much I eat this weekend. It's not yet the weekend, so I don't know if it will or not. Going forward, I'm going to record how much weight I have lost since Day 1.

10 PM: I look at myself in the mirror and am just aghast at the rolls of fat. I have not worn a wedding ring in months because my finger is too fat. Do I want an S Day tomorrow? No. It may be that I'll just continue following the N Day rules tomorrow. We'll see. I'll be open to doing what is necessary to keep N Days as N Days, but right now I have no driving need or even desire to eat more than I do on an N Day.

Day 22 – Saturday, August 25, 2012: 218.0 Three weeks and only down 2.6 pounds. I want to change the diet to add fasting, but I made an agreement with BrightAngel that I first must read my journal starting in January of this year. What a pain. That's what I'll do.

7 AM: I got to January 9 before I stopped.

Day 23 – Sunday, August 26, 2012: 219.2 Yesterday, after giving up on changing the diet, I still had a "last supper" effect from even considering changing the diet, and I ate, ate, ate - coffee ice cream, banana bread, just lots of food... This morning, Cheerios. I didn't even add craisins, my good-for-you sweetener. My body is exhausted from having digested all that food. I know this diet is slow, painfully slow, but what it does is allow the body to get a good taste of excess so that it can see that excess is not the most pleasurable state. I hope today is my last day at 219.0 or above. Maybe not. It's still an S Day today, and I'll treat it as such, but I'm revolved by the idea of eating at the moment after just one bowl of Cheerios.

Anne leaves for college on Wednesday. I know it hasn't yet hit me that she'll actually be gone. She's close. She's just across the river. She told me yesterday that she doesn't want me driving by the college the way I drive by the golf course, and I had to chuckle at that. Helicopter parent is in my nature. I talked with a Mom last week who drove her daughter, a classmate of Anne's from elementary school, to college in Florida and cried all the way home from Illinois. It will be OK. She needs to go. It is time. She's observed me all these years, and this summer she exercised four times per week, followed the No S Diet, and lost 15 pounds. On Friday, she went out with her cousin, a new college graduate, and got new clothes. You teach your children sometimes by the mistakes you make.

9 PM: Stuffed. I do not want to face my weight tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll just follow the diet this week and not weigh myself or write until Friday. We'll see... I'm a coward at heart. Tom got far enough in taking care of his Eagle paperwork that maybe we can go camping over Labor Day weekend. I'm happy about that.
Last edited by Kathleen on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:19 am, edited 83 times in total.

Eurobabe2

Post by Eurobabe2 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:39 pm

Ummm, I think it's SATURDAY, not Sunday. :)
Welcome back, Prodigal Lamb (am I mixing spiritual metaphors)?.

And at the risk of being annoying (I'm used to it, after all) may I ask once again, WHY do you have ice cream in the house?
You wrote that your husband and 3 of your 4 kids battle their weight, to a greater or lesser extent. It makes things that much harder when you have trigger foods like ice cream in the house.

If you actually have to get your car keys, drive to the store, and buy your binge foods, you will have time between the impulse and the food in your stomach to ask yourself if this is what you really want. I'd guess that most times, the answer would be no. Alcholics don't keep booze in the house, and family members understand that if they want a glass of wine or a beer, they'll have to go out for them.

Anyway, I'm glad you're back.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:36 pm

Eurobabe2,

Thanks for letting me know it's Saturday! I was up and down all night, starting with the dog waking me up because of a scary thunderstorm! Then I weighed myself and spent a couple of hours facing reality. The prodigal son only returned once. I'm more reminded of the Biblical saying: "forgive seven times seventy." I'm not sure I'm even going to weigh myself except once per month. Why bother? Weighing myself is an invitations to change the diet.

I've tried different approaches to allowing treats in the house. The Costco ice cream turns out to be difficult to scoop up, so it actually lasted some time. I hesitate to eliminate these foods from the house, but I am cutting back on having them. I'm trying better meals. This may seem lame to you, and frankly typing my response makes me think it's rather lame.

Kathleen

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:20 pm

Kathleen wrote:The Exceptional Diet:
One plateful of food at each of three meals per day. No sweets.
Liquids allowed anytime.
S Days every weekend.
A rolling average of two Exceptional Days (no restrictions just like on S Days) every month.
(Month 1) Day 1 - Saturday, August 4, 2012: 220.6
"I am saying this as reading your story has helped me keep on track-
PLEASE READ YOUR OWN JOURNAL FROM THE START
AND LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES-
GOD DOES NOT WANT YOU TO SUFFER AND SPEND YOUR LIFE LIKE THIS. "
I did not reread my journal. It would be too painful to do so.
Congratulations on your recent new committment to follow "vanilla" No S
with a rolling average of 2 Exception days per month...Starting August 4, 2012.
My suggestion is that you ALSO make a committment to yourself ... and to God,...
that ......
BEFORE you (1) tweak or change this current plan ....
or (2) "end and restart" your current plan to give yourself additional Exception days,
or (3) "end & restart" this or any other plan for ANY other reason.....
you will read at least 6 consecutive months of the most recent 1 1/2 years of your Journal entries.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:35 pm

Not sure what you mean by a rolling average of 2 exceptional days. No S already provides for extra S days, but LIMITS them to 2 per month with no rollover, so you can't take 4 this month and none next month, or vice versa. It's also recommended to declare them beforehand, not decide in the moment.

Yay for you! You'll have really made a dent in your habits by New Year's. Won't it be nice not to have to come up with any new eating plan then?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:20 pm

BrightAngel,
Deal! I am working on an exercise program but will not tweak my eating or eating habits.

oolala53,
That's my tweak to this diet. I can have zero this month and four next month. I get two per month to use as I please. I followed this approach for about nine months, but then I started tweaking and tweaking and ended up restarting with additional Exception Days.
Kathleen

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:23 pm

Got it! Here's to another nine months and more.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:14 am

Here's to my weight following a trajectory similar to yours!

nosnos

Yeahhhh!

Post by nosnos » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:54 am

You go girl! I am so honoured that anything I've said may have encouraged you back to no s. As bright angel says NO MORE TWEAKS. If you fail or find it hard one day just keep going. It's the binging and tweaking that keep your weight high- not NO-S.
I also think you will see faster results if you are sticking to the one plate rule which you may find encouraging.
Please give up on weight goals they mean NOTHING- it is all about the process- maybe after several children and several years your body does not want to be 132 anymore... It might do but It might not..- don't pick a weight where the process to maintain it would be damaging to your happiness and life. In fact don't pick a weight at all- pick a process (no s) and stick with it!!
I had given up on weightloss and chosen habit, health and sanity. Ironically all those years of trying to drop 7Lbs or 14lbs kept my weight higher. It was only once I got happy with my eating and gave up on a certain weight that my body let go of the weight! Plateaus are normal- they happen to evryone- there is nothing you can do to speed them up- they are probably maintaing your metabolism and they are loads more fun then gaining and/or thinking about body, diet and weightloss all the time!!
I know it's painful but try to read some of this journal even the last 3 pages would be very insightful- You say you wrote them for your children maybe if you could make yourself a success story by learning from your own mistakes you can write them a happy ending! I guarantee you will never tweak again once you see how much damage it has done you and how much time has been 'eaten up'.
And yes I believe you would have continued to lose weight even on your modified form of no s- you may have been 175 right now instead of 220+ If you were to read back that far you will see a lot of binges and tweaks in your last plateau on no s. I suppose we will never know for sure. Don't make the same mistake- stay on plan.
Kathleen you are not a fashion model- nobody needs you to be thin, all your friends and family are with you because of who you are- nobody but you is putting the rush and pressure to lose weight. Beyond getting to a healthier BMI how do you really think your life and interactions with others will change? Any weight lower than 220 and your health will improve- what's the rush?
I have soo much support and hope for you right now- good luck, have fun and stay on board with us :)
X nosnos

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:29 pm

nosnos,

It may be that I have already accomplished my objective. My 18 year old went on the No S Diet at the start of the summer, has been exercising four times per week, and has lost 10 pounds.

It was her example that helped pull me back as well.

I realized in talking to that Mayo doctor that you need either a goal or a process but cannot have both. The Mayo doctor recommended the goal, as in "You have to have a goal." I tried that for a brief time. Now I'm back to process only.

No offense to the Mayo doctor. He brought up the right issues, and my conversation with him is what clarified for me that I had the answer within me.

I need a process.
I need a diet which is intermittent rather than constant.

No S.

Kathleen

PS. I will hold off on reading the journal right now. It's enough to face five days of three platefuls of food only. This will be quite a shock to my system.

nosnos

Post by nosnos » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:43 pm

Good for you- it's great to hear you sounding so clear on what you want.
It sounds like your daughter (Anne?) Is doing great- what a fantastic living breathing inspiration you have! Also it must be lovely to know that it was your own experiment with no s that led her to something that is giving her success :)
I remember it being very daunting at first and having a few strops and hairy moments at the start of my no s journey, so once again good luck this week- you have lots of people rooting for you- I hope that brings you comfort and support when you need it :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:50 pm

No S isn't really intermittent. The S days are a constant, too, in that they allow the OPTION for a few extras (after the open season/ idiot stage) forever, if you really want them. Not allowing for those along the way is likely one of the reasons so many other plans are not sustainable for would-be weight losers.

Anyway, remember that you can have fantastic meals!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

nosnos

Post by nosnos » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:50 am

How's it going Kathleen? On the 3rd weekday now- are you finding it ok? X s

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:13 pm

nosnos,
It's going great! I think that my prior years of following this diet have not gone to waste. I am learning the lessons of them much more quickly. First lesson is: I will not starve.

oolala53,
The weekends are a kind of release to a pressure valve, which is why I would consider the diet intermittent. I can let up then. With traditional diets like Weight Watchers, there is no break. I am finding myself more willing to spend the time to make food that I really like, although breakfasts are easy: Cheerios with craisins.

Kathleen

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:25 pm

Go Kathleen!
Please pray for me

nosnos

Post by nosnos » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:39 pm

Good on you Kathleen- keep going you are doing great! X nosnos

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:32 pm

I'm down one pound from last week and up almost five pounds from four years ago. If there ever was someone who had to keep on trying with this diet, it's been me! I am happy to report that my mood matches that of the day, with the sun streaming into the window. At some point, if you keep on trying with this diet, you eventually get to the spirit of moderation. You just have to have a few immoderate S Days along the way! I was an extreme example of immoderate S Days, literally waiting until midnight on Saturday to get up and eat Haagen Dazs bars!
Kathleen

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:14 pm

So happy for you Kathleen! I do hope you find peace and I really believe No S is the way to do it. You come across so relaxed and happy in your latest post, it is just wonderful. I think as nosnos so wonderfully put it, if you can just keep to the one eating plan - in this case no S - rather than stress yourself out by consistently trying new things - it will do a world of good, even if the weight loss was slow or whatever. Fine advice that we can all take to heart!

I for one ! In some ways, I feel a little 'guilty' for saying anything because I too have strayed often enough from No S - seeking the 'holy grail' i.e. a key to 'quick and successful' weight loss. Heck I even rejoined a diet club which I had sworn off of for so many years. Which has only helped this time because I was in the mind set, whereas often I have failed - AND this time I am still following the No S guidelines!

Anyway - enough about me already! :p) Just popping in to say well done to you and your daughter for making a great decision to try No S again. Congratulations to your daughter by the way. And not to worry, you may even find yourself rebelling and/or thinking again about other plans from time to time, especially at the beginning. It can and does happen, but not to discourage you or anything, hon! Keep going and ignore those voices telling you otherwise :) Its just the 'sugar' talking !

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:56 pm

NoSRocks,
Thank you for your kind post! I stuck with trying to find a diet that works out of love for my daughter, and now it is she who has helped me to return to No S! One thing she said last night is she think she gained weight because of snacking. She's a very disciplined child, and she thinks things through. She said she can see herself staying on this diet for life. That makes me very happy. I felt discouraged at such a high weight with her going off to college, but she observed and evaluated on her own to reach the decision she did. She got to see the destruction of most diets and the benefits of No S!
Kathleen
PS. Maybe part of the process of No S is going off it to see just how bad most diets are and how intuitive eating just doesn't work for most of us who have gotten caught up in dieting.

nosnos

Post by nosnos » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:34 pm

Once again it is fantastic to hear you sounding clear, happy and in your power. That is worth even more then your 1lb weight loss!
And hey a pound is a pound- it's a great start well done you :)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:36 am

nosnos,
It's hard to explain, but it's not that I've started. It's that I've finished. Getting to this point is the finish line. Execution is effortless because what I'm doing is eating to satisfaction.
Kathleen

nosnos

Post by nosnos » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:15 pm

Great, The search is over! Sounds like you've got 'it'. Isn't it wonderful to just live your life and know that your weight is gradually dropping. While eating satisfying food and socialising like a normal person. The Bliss of simplicity :)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:45 am

nosnos,
I like your Bliss of Simplicity so much I decided to title my thread The Blessings of Simplicity! There's a phrase from the first line of the U.S. Constitution on The Blessings of Liberty, and in a way simplicity does equal liberty. I've been through so many complicated diets: counting calories, counting bites, aiming for a specific weight loss target in a week, etc. It's so much simpler to count plates and days.
Kathleen

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:39 pm

Kathleen wrote:... simplicity does equal liberty. I've been through so many complicated diets: counting calories, counting bites, aiming for a specific weight loss target in a week, etc. It's so much simpler to count plates and days.
Kathleen
Amen to that, Kathleen...I am so happy to hear that you have finally arrived at your "finish line."

Remember the verse from 2 Timothy 4:7:

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith

Don't give up...continue on and finish your journey. I am so happy for you and your victory.

Mimi :D

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:27 am

Hi mimi,
It's particularly welcome to have encouragement from others who have gone off and on the diet until finally deciding this is it! I'm up six pounds from the start and you're down about thirty, but I just committed to it last week! Another year, and maybe thirty pounds gone for me as well!
Kathleen

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:51 am

Kathleen wrote:Hi mimi,
It's particularly welcome to have encouragement from others who have gone off and on the diet until finally deciding this is it! I'm up six pounds from the start and you're down about thirty, but I just committed to it last week! Another year, and maybe thirty pounds gone for me as well!
Kathleen
That's exactly right, so be gentle with yourself and take one day at a time...there is no rush...remember, slow and steady!

When a person decides to do something and that something "clicks" inside, you just know it will be different. I think that's where we both are at this point. As you noted, I have been NoEssing for the last five years - and in this last attempt everything just fell in line because I was truly committed. I think you are too. Reinhard mentioned in his book that some folks need a dozen starts and restarts before finding success...that's me, but that's okay. I know this time I will do everything in my power to lose and then keep the weight off - and I know that NoS is the way for me to do that. I think you know that now too.

So keep on keepin' on. Keep us all posted. We're all here rooting and cheering for you Kathleen!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:27 am

mimi,
Can you believe it -- I actually threw out the No S book again. I will get a new copy through Amazon this Saturday. I'm one of those people who has bought and thrown out that book several times. This time around, I'm keeping it in my nightstand for periodic review!
Kathleen

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:32 am

Better that the book comes back than that the random eating does. :D

I keep two copies of the book. One for me and an extra just in case some poor victim shows interest. If I give one away, I just order a new one. My goal over time is to read it as many times as I read Little Women when I was a girl. A lot.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

nosnos

Hi again

Post by nosnos » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi again Kathleen,
I'm honoured that anything I have rambled on about would inspire a check in title for you! It sounds like you are doing just great -Keep up the good work.
I wrote a little article about my journey with nos and put it in the nos blogs section (if you are interested in any more of my ramblings!)
Well done to you- it sounds like you are really happy :)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:33 pm

If you ever feel like throwing it out again, hide it in a corner of your garage. Out of sight, but there for when you come to your senses again. :wink:

Wishing you well!
Please pray for me

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:42 pm

reneew,
I'm done. I'm completely and totally done. It is possible at some point in the future I will consider adding fasting to the basic program. Maybe I'll skip a Friday breakfast. Maybe. I am giving myself at least until next July before I consider any changes and at least until I have established an exercise program that is more rigorous than the one I now have.

It's nice to be done. Too much of my life has been spent debating with myself what to do about my weight problem.

Guess what happened yesterday? I took my two older kids to Valley Fair as a reward for my son doing Kumon (up to one hour a day of math) since March 1, and the power went out! Luckily, they had already been there six hours, and there was some excitement because a news helicopter came by. I had read you had been to Valley Fair. It's 1/2 hour drive at most for us, so it wasn't that big of a deal, but can you imagine if you had driven all the way up from Iowa to have the power go out?

Kathleen

nosnos

Post by nosnos » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:51 am

Sounds like you are still well on track. I love the determination that you won't change until next July. Soo happy for you Kathleen!
X nosnos

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Kathleen wrote: This sort of stuff usually doesn't irritate me but it did tonight,
and I think the reason for my irritation is I would like to eat more and can't.
Another way to look at it.....
Probably this stuff always irritates you,
but when you distract yourself with food,
you don't notice it as much.
:wink:

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:12 pm

nosnos,
I mean it this time! We are struggling with a son who just does not seem motivated to do anything, and my husband tells me there is absolutely nothing I can do. To a large extent, that is true. I can remove the technical distractions. I can bribe. I cannot inject motivation into him. The same is true with me. I wasn't going to make a decision until I was ready. People could help by pointing out the obvious -- that all my tweaking was counterproductive and by encouraging me to make a commitment to stick with a plan -- but these ideas had to sink in before I was ready. The timing of your post to me in early July was providential: I had a whole week at camp to think about it!
Kathleen

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:17 pm

Kathleen wrote:Day 22 – Saturday, August 25, 2012: 218.0 Three weeks and only down 2.6 pounds. I want to change the diet to add fasting, but I made an agreement with BrightAngel that I first must read my journal starting in January of this year. What a pain. That's what I'll do.

7 AM: I got to January 9 before I stopped.
BrightAngel wrote:BEFORE you (1) tweak or change this current plan ....
or (2) "end and restart" your current plan to give yourself additional Exception days,
or (3) "end & restart" this or any other plan for ANY other reason.....
you will read at least 6 consecutive months of the most recent 1 1/2 years of your Journal entries.
Kathleen wrote:BrightAngel,
Deal! I am working on an exercise program but will not tweak my eating or eating habits.
ImageKathleen, I'm pleased to see that you are keeping your word
to read at least 6 consecutive months of the most recent year and a half of your journal
BEFORE making ANY changes to your diet plan.

Our personal Denial ... with regards to our own behaviour with food...is unconsciously insidious and devious.
Reading what we've written in the past about similar issues,
forces us to face truth which can help us break through that Denial.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:26 pm

BrightAngel,
I lost my appetite after reading just nine days of the journal, but then I had to endure the "last supper" effect of binge eating from having even considered changing the diet. All very strange... Your suggestion of a deterrent to my changing my diet seemed very manageable to me, but it also was very effective at least yesterday. Yes, I'll keep my word on this. You are letting my own words convince me. I can experience days and days ofturmoil I want just by reading for 15 minutes.
Kathleen

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:28 am

August 27: I got up early this morning because Tom had to leave at 5 for a flight to Boston, and I sat down and read my journal since the end of February so that I could change my diet, per my agreement with BrightAngel.

Here are some things I have realized:

1. How you diet is a matter of individual fit. There is no one size fits all, which is why people cannot succeed on diets designed by others. It is wise and appropriate to customize a diet. That's also why there are so many different diet success stories with different approaches. What is important, however, is to separate success stories involving weight loss but also obsession from success stories that allow for weight loss without an obsessive daily struggle with starvation. I know that there are weight loss success stories involving a daily struggle, and there are success stories without a daily struggle.

2. Reinhard has a success story without a daily struggle, but he is a male in his 20s or early 30s. I am a female in my 50s. What works for him may not work for me.

3. I have had a success with exercise in that I am going on the exercise bike three times per week and really working up a sweat. There was a bit of a gap in July due to our being gone so much but other than that I've done well by it.

4. S Events as a concept really do not work for me because I'm always concerned about a binge in which I would have 20 S Events in one day and then what do I do?

5. I no longer need S Days on the weekend. I started off No S looking forward to them and just holding on to get to them, but now they actually are a problem because I binge so much. It's hard to explain, but I actually dread S Days more than I look forward to them. Why can I not seem to stop binge behavior on S Days? I do think this has to do with years of dieting when I ate whatever I was allowed.

6. It is much easier than I had thought to socialize without breaking N Day rules. The only times it is really a problem is when there is a celebration involving cake.

7. I still think it is important to be perfect in what I do, which means I need Exception Days that I track.

8. There is a book which talks about keystone habits, habits which result in changes to other habits. I think writing down what I eat may be a keystone habit because it gives me time to naturally evaluate what I am eating and make appropriate changes.

9. I have not been able to combine fasting with No S because I've wanted to fast until 3 PM. Maybe I can combine it if I fast by skipping breakfast. The Christian approach to this is to fast on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. We do go out to breakfast sometimes on Saturday mornings, but other than that I think I could do this. Actually, maybe I should just try for Wednesday and Friday morning fasts.

10. Anything involving eating habits like chewing each bite 10 times or evaluating hunger levels seems to be counterproductive for me because it makes me focus more on eating. Writing down what I eat could have that effect as well, but it may be more a way for me to be accountable to myself. I can deceive myself about hunger level.

The Blessings of Simplicity: August 27, 2012

The No S Diet:
Many different modifications over almost four years, especially one which allowed everything in front of me at one meal instead of one plateful at one meal.
(Month 1) Day 1 - Monday, September 8, 2008: 215.0

The Blessings of Simplicity:
One plateful of food at each of three meals per day except possibly avoid eating until noon on Wednesdays and Fridays.
No sweets.
Liquids allowed anytime.
Record what I eat.
A rolling average of two Exceptional Days (no restrictions) every month.
A commitment to develop and follow an exercise program.

(Month 1) Day 1 - Monday, August 27, 2012: 221.6

Weight (Exceptional Days in Red and Weight Change from Day 1):

Day 1 – Monday, August 27, 2012: 221.6
Day 2 – Tuesday, August 28, 2012: 220.2
Day 3 – Wednesday, August 29, 2012:
Day 4 – Thursday, August 30, 2012:
Day 5 – Friday, August 31, 2012:

Journal:

Day 1 – Monday, August 27, 2012: 221.6 The good news is that I no longer need S Days on the weekend. The bad news is I still cannot handle them.

Day 2 – Tuesday, August 28, 2012: 220.2 My problem is binge behavior, and I need structure in order to deal with it. The No S Day rules are structure. S Days on the weekend are just controlled binges in that they are planned. What I need is fewer days that are controlled binges, and so I'm limiting myself to 2 Exception Days per month. I have two as of this point. It's exhausting to be changing all the time. Reviewing my journal gave me insight into my failings and peculiar vulnerabilities, and that's why I decided on the diet I did. This is about me, not about a universally applicable way to lose weight. I am painfully aware that I gained one pound since the last time I restarted this diet on August 4.

6:30 AM: Yesterday, we were at the dentist and I had more inflammation of my gums than normal. I explained to the dentist and hygentist that I had purchased Target brand dental floss, kept trying to use it, didn't like it, and got somewhat less consistent in my use of dental floss until I threw out the Target dental floss and replaced it with Johnson & Johnson dental floss. Thinking about this gave me insight into my own personality. Flossing my teeth has been a habit that has been so consistent that I could not imagine flossing my teeth. In fact, I didn't much think about it except when replacing the dental floss.

Structure. I need structure. Those weekend S Days don't have structure, and they have been a disaster for me. I started off No S four years ago just gripping my chair and counting the hours to get to midnight on Friday. Now, that is not the case. I do fine all week. In fact, I almost dread S Days because S started to mean stomach ache.

Do I really need S Days? No. I've found that socializing without food but only with liquid is great. It works well almost all of the time. People really don't care what you put in your mouth. I even noticed at my niece's wedding in May that she did not eat a bite of her cake. Would I have noticed had I not been trying to figure out dieting? Nope. And I would guess that I'm the only one who noticed except maybe the groom. It just plain doesn't matter.

Tomorrow Anne goes to college. She told me she doesn't want me driving by the college the way I drive by the golf course. I need to let her go. It started to hit me yesterday when we drove by her dorm on the way home from the dentist. We drive about 20 miles to the dentist, but the college is closer. She's only about a 20 minutes' drive from the house. She doesn't want to come home until Thanksgiving. I have to not be a helicopter parent. I have to let her go. She'll do fine. I am very confident of that. I remember when she was about a year old and stopped wanting to nurse that Tom said to me, "Annie's weaning Mommy." There comes a time....

Now I need to focus on structure for me. I do well whenever I am organized, and I completely fall apart if I am not organized. The trouble I have with this diet is simply a reflection of a larger personality limitation that I have in needing to be totally organized or I am totally disorganized.

I have the plan and now need to execute.
Last edited by Kathleen on Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:57 am

I was trying to get to the top of page 23 and just made multiple postings.
Last edited by Kathleen on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:57 am

Journal
Last edited by Kathleen on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:58 am

Journal
Last edited by Kathleen on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Kathleen

Journal
Last edited by Kathleen on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Kathleen

Journal
Last edited by Kathleen on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:23 am, edited 4 times in total.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:05 pm

Journal:

nosnos

Post by nosnos » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:49 pm

URGH just wrote a long post that disappeared!

The long and short of it was...

Not again Kathleen!!! If you read the entirety of your journal (I assume from your response you only read a few posts or pages- please correct me if I'm wrong) you would see that limiting S days caused an epic fail everytime. And usually a return to the which-diet-am-I-on-today-game!

If you struggle to be moderate with sweets 2 days a week- how on earth do you think you will cope with only 2 exeptions a month- even very thin people have more 'exceptions' than that!

Stay true to the PROMISE YOU MADE TO YOURSELF AND US- no tweaking!

You are already losing weight- what's the problem? I feel you need to Relax and carry on. The hardest thing on this diet is patience.

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:33 pm

I second everything that nosnos said, Kathleen...you're falling right back into your old trap of I'm-not-losing-weight-fast-enough-therefore-I-must-change-something - and then it all falls apart after that doesn't work.
No tweaking, no changing - you promised to follow NoS until next July before attempting any tweaking.
You are losing weight, albeit slowly, so what's wrong? Accept your over-the-top S days for now and continue on. They will eventually straighten out - they will. It all takes time. Think how well your daughter has done, and she didn't make any changes. You don't need to either.
Come on, Kathleen - you can do it.

Eurobabe2

Post by Eurobabe2 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:57 pm

NO TWEAKING!!
You've tried this particular tweak before, and it resulted in some mega-binges. You said just a few days ago that you needed the S days to relieve the pressure of N days.

The only way to learn moderation is to PRACTICE moderation. Binging or completely abstaining will not work.

For S days, why not plan 1 or 2 snacks for the day (reasonable portions/reasonable calories)? You will have them to look forward to on your N days, and won't feel like this is a diet that will never end. We know what happens when it feels like you're on an endless diet: you binge. So does everyone.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:35 pm

I hear you. I am just following No S now and adding writing down what I eat. It's on Saturday that the change would be in treating the weekend as N Days. Let me consider this. I am stressed to the max because Anne is headed off to college. She's outside with Katie right now loading her rug into the van. It doesn't help that I need to run around with Tommy tomorrow and Thursday getting signatures for the paperwork he needs now that he lost his original paperwork for the Eagle project, but that's an annoyance compared with seeing Anne off. She is ready. She is more than ready. I'm the one not ready.

We go camping Friday morning to a campsite on the North Shore of Lake Superior, and it will be a full moon. That should help me to think clearly.

Meanwhile, today is an N Day.

Kathleen

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:09 pm

Now today is an S Day. I'll go back.

7:30 PM: What a dumb trick. I'm back to No S. I'm busy the next few days with Anne going to college, running around on Tommy's Eagle project, and going camping. Next week, I'll be back. The kids go to school on Tuesday.

Kathleen

nosnos

Post by nosnos » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:10 am

Hello again Kathleen-
You aren't 'back'! Since you commited til next July you never actually left- you just had a red day!(or maybe used up 1 exception) Heck I had 2 reds last week (my routine just wasn't conducive to no s and that's ok every once in a while)

It sounds like you have a lot going on right now in your life- perhaps your attempt to change plans (again) was a way of 'taking control' of one aspect of your life because bigger things (like Anne going to univercity) are out of your control and hard to deal with? -This may not be the case for you- but it is something I noticed in myself in the past- so I watch out for it now.

Another thing I have noticed is that it is very easy to deny ourselves things IN THE FUTURE- we can all promise to have no treats- next week or tomorrow. But change happens RIGHT NOW. There is no magic clean slate that happens when you write Day 1... How many Day 1's have there been in this journal forinstance?! The truth is that it is all one life and that each action you take right now will affect the next set of results you recieve. It would be far more productive for you to focus on what treats you are willing to eat and not eat come Saturday and Sunday. Then try another extremist all or nothing approach.

I wish you all the best with the transitions happening in your life right now and your continuing success with no s.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:13 am

nosnos,
This Day 1 is about being done with tweaking. I had two thoughts this morning: the economy is being killed by regulatory uncertainty, a very real thing having to do with employers not knowing what will be the next mandate to add costs to a business. This results in not hiring because of an unknown future cost involving healthcare mandates, carbon monoxide requirements, etc. Similarly, my body has no idea what is next with my dieting: Novena Diet? No S Days? etc. The goal for my body becomes to eat when I can.

My second thought was that the authors of Intuitive Eating said it doesn't work unless you commit to it permanently because you'll just go on last supper eating binges.

So, my conclusion is I need to make a permanent commitment to this. How sad that today Anne goes off to college, and here I sit typing at the computer at 6:30 AM.

Kathleen
Last edited by Kathleen on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:28 am, edited 5 times in total.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:16 am

+100 What nosnos said!!

And your post came about the same time as mine. I am editing to salute you on your brilliant insight!

Similarly, my body has no idea what is next with my dieting: Novena Diet? No S Days? etc. The goal for my body becomes to eat when I can.

This is exactly what has been happening. You have been starting a new diet every few days. And that is where your weight gain has occurred this last year....starting over and having the binges before the start overs. Or starting over because of a binge slip up. Your body doesn't know what to expect or plan for as in your economic chaos analogy.

I think you have it now. Settle into the routine and keep putting one day in at a time with no "do overs."
Last edited by TexArk on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:23 am

The Blessings of Simplicity: August 29, 2012

Day 1 – Wednesday, August 29, 2012: 222.0
Day 2 – Thursday, August 30, 2012:
Day 3 – Friday, August 31, 2012:
Day 4 – Sunday, September 1, 2012:
Day 5 – Monday, September 2, 2012:
Day 6 – Tuesday, September 3, 2012:
Day 7 – Wednesday, September 4, 2012:
Day 8 – Thursday, September 5, 2012:
Day 9 – Friday, September 6, 2012:
Day 10 – Saturday, September 7, 2012:
Day 11 – Sunday, September 8, 2012:
Day 12 – Monday, September 9, 2012:
Day 13 – Tuesday, September 10, 2012:
Day 14 – Wednesday, September 11, 2012:
Day 15 – Thursday, September 12, 2012:
Day 16 – Friday, September 13, 2012:
Day 17 – Saturday, September 14, 2012:
Day 18 – Sunday, September 15, 2012:
Day 19 – Monday, September 16, 2012:
Day 20 – Tuesday, September 17, 2012:
Day 21 – Wednesday, September 18, 2012:
Day 22 – Thursday, September 19, 2012:
Day 23 – Friday, September 20, 2012:
Day 24 – Saturday, September 21, 2012:
Day 25 – Sunday, September 22, 2012:
Day 26 – Monday, September 23, 2012:
Day 27 – Tuesday, September 24, 2012:
Day 28 – Wednesday, September 25, 2012:
Day 29 – Thursday, September 26, 2012:
Day 30 – Friday, September 27, 2012:
Day 31 – Saturday, September 28, 2012:
Day 32 – Sunday, September 29, 2012:
Day 33 – Monday, September 30, 2012:

Day 1 – Wednesday, August 29, 2012: 222.0 My little girl goes to college today. It's really the start of a new phase in our lives as we let our children go.

Nicole in MD

Post by Nicole in MD » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:05 pm

I feel your pain--I have 3 boys whom I've homeschooled from day one and just yesterday my oldest (15) and youngest (10) went to our local public schools for the first time ever :( My middle (13) has NO desire to "do school" as he says so he's still home with me but I feel like I've lost two limbs of my body this week :(

No S has definitely made it easier to cope since I'm not also having to obsess over food with all this change going on!
Nicole in beautiful Annapolis, MD
Started No S 8/15- 173