oolala53

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:08 pm

The challenge is: whatever YOU want to focus on for the next few months. One for all and all for one! But we don't have to choose the same focus. You don't have to have a results focus. Habit is good enough.

Mine is Vanilla No S, modified S days (haven't decided on exactly what) and exercise. (See the RE 90 X for my targeted exercise habits. Very moderate.) I guess I believe that if I do that consistently, I will lose more weight. But i could be wrong. My most recent bout of mostly failed RE 90X will end around the same time I come back from a 5-day backpack/yoga trip in the Utah Canyonlands. If I'm not down a few pounds then, I'll reassess. But I may still choose to concentrate on habit. However, since I lived at between 145 and 155 for many years -and with a fair amount of overeating--, I still hold out for believing I can get there without sacrificing my sanity. It might take a little more than RE 90X, but I won't find out until I implement it consistently.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:20 pm

Good luck, all, whatever you decide :) I think I'll make mine to get to 160 lbs by Christmas time. BUT I will try not to think about it too much. It's just a guideline I have decided to set for myself - perhaps it may help me, to set some kind of 'focused' goal.

S Day Sunday: have been nibbling more these 2 S Days than I had been doing recently. I hope I won't undo the good work I have been doing up till now.

Have a great week, everyone!!!
Last edited by NoSRocks on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:37 pm

My goal till Christmas is to focus on doing Leslie Sansone Walk Challenges each month, at least the walking/mile part of it! That alone will help me! Also to keep green N days Green for the whole time,and focus on really getting my N day habit down, Vanilla No S
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:00 pm

I am behind you both 100%.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:19 am

Thank you SO much, oolala!!

DITTO!!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:26 pm

oolala53 wrote:I am behind you both 100%.
Great! Im here to support you too! :D
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi Oolala,
Haven't posted for while but I was browsing today and read your last couple of pages.
It is wonderful when someone finds their perfect occupation in life and pursues it for all it is worth. Most of us don't unfortunately. I took a stable paycheck instead of job satisfaction all of my adult life. A book I am reading says that you should make a list of the things that make your heart sing (like your zen pursuits) and try to find a way to make that an occupation. We all, especially in this recession, try to stick with any job as long as it brings in money. Maybe, you could get a part time job working in a field that appeals to you but maybe doesn't pay too well. Just a thought.
I think Reinhard would laugh at your comments about his life because none of us has any idea what struggles he or anyone else might be going through. At the ripe age of 66, I am finding that everybody's got "stuff". and if I continue to wait for an unstressed time to be at peace with who I am and where I am, I will have a very long wait indeed. Loving the present moment, even if it is unlovable, is really the only option open to any of us. My husband and I are mentoring a couple of students from Pakistan and it has been a terrifically rewarding experience. Life for them is a struggle to just survive. They have no 401K, health insurance or career options. It is just putting one foot in front of the other day after day. They were chosen from thousands of applicants to come here and learn more about agriculture (for one of the students) and administration of schools (for the other one). He has started grade schools and high schools for over 1400 students and now he wants to build a University. My point is that we might be too comfortable in this country and too well cared for. We have too much time for worrying and angst. These students are telling us over and over how lucky we are in this country and they can't understand why so many of us seem to be so unhappy with our lives.

Unhappy times in the US seem wrong somehow. We shouldn't be feeling unhappy ever. We rush around and do anything and everything to make the unhappy thoughts go away. Some of the things we need to make happen in our lives should come out of working through stressful times. If we just stuff food or alcohol or whatever in until we are numb and then wait for the bad time to pass, we don't change and we learn nothing from it.

Just some thoughts along the way. I am not sure if I was talking to you or me. Both of us probably.

By the way, if finding the perfect occupation and the perfect life worked, Oprah Winfrey would be skinny.
I'm baaaack.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:14 pm

Oolala I believe you got a little too much flack about your weight loss challenge. I did not join in because my monthly goal is maintenance. This has worked for me. However, everyone is different, and most of us have a long term goal of weight loss. So...anyone that was challenged by your 5% weight loss challenge was free to join in and others could choose to not join in. Sometimes there seems to be a little bit too much advice or opinion. I think we should express our opinion but allow for differences.

I am 55...5'6"...and about 30 lbs above an average BMI. I always have ideal goals at the back of my mind, but it works for me to keep maintenance as the goal each month.
Last edited by r.jean on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:19 pm

I kept track of my weight (off and on) for years and I think I still have the charts somewhere. They were just Word-generated columms and rows that I recorded my weight and ,for phases, my bodyfat in. Starting back in '93, I averaged the weight once a week and that's what I went by. I got a lot less attached to the whole thing, but did it as a kind of habit, I guess. However, I thought I'd like to try to let go of the whole thing and go more by how much better I feel eating certain amounts of food at certain intervals, so that my "weighing in" is more like checking in, but it's on an internal sense. I also want to let go more of that, too! I've weighed a few times in August and September so far, and may allow myself to weigh in on 9/26, my 58th birthday, and after my fall break, which coincides with a round of my wobbly RE 90X quarter (around Oct. 8). I'm toying with no scale for my 59th year, or possibly only quarterly. But I'm trying to think of another metric I could use. It might not have to do with size at all, but more like some short fitness circuit.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:02 am

Hi oolala, Just stopping by to say hi and wish you well. I have been recording my weight on a graph on Calorie Count for several years, it is interesting to pull it up for 30 days, a year, etc. and see the graph. Luckily it has been stable lately but there were some real zig zag lines along the way :roll:
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:11 am

Had a failure day, but not too bad. I'm whittling my way back to consistent green. Dont sleep well and it whacks out my attempts at regular exercise. Entropy doesn't help.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:02 am

Hi there...those reds they just seem to come and go..but we all love it when they GOOOOOO...

I hope you are able to get some sleep and exercise in today :P
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm getting ready for a 6-night, 5-day backpacking/yoga trip in the Utah Canyonlands. I paid 20 bucks for unlimited classes for 10 consecutive days at a yoga center 6 blocks from my house, starting a few days ago. I've gone to one or two classes a day, but this one at noon today is the first one that was a lot of work most of the time. I never was very flexible, even though I taught beginners for awhile, and man, do things get tighter! I felt and heard some popping and cracking--the good kind-- in my back for the first time in years. Will be going on a hills walk tonight, and have been doing some of that, too. I signed up for this in July, and thought that would inspire me to do more to prepare, but I didn't. I've talked with the wilderness leader and he says you start where you are.

I've had a lot of red days at least since I went back to work in July, but am finally having some good days. I gained only 4 lbs. and held steady. I turned 58 and am inspired to spend my 59th year more in line with my eating and movement goals, among other things.

I've taken some pics of meals the last day or two. Don't know how to post them here. Amazingly, I have not been very hungry for any of them but am not willing to face that dragon down yet. Besides, I think the excess that's been around is getting used up and things will start humming here soon. I'm going into this trip planning to stick to No S. I'm going to bring either powdered milk or a protein powder for my snacks. They recommended chocolate bars, but I don't think so.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:49 pm

Sounds like a wonderful time!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY :) !!!

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:00 am

Happy Birthday and enjoy your trip!

Julie

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:18 am

Sounds lime a nice time
Happy Birthday!!!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:44 am

Happy Birthday, oolala from me, too!!

Have a wonderful trip!!! :D

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:26 pm

Hi there, thanks for the comment on my page...they are right..why is that we know what to do for our own good, but do something else. Looking forward to reading the study you found...will be looking for it.

Looking forward to hearing your update on your trip!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:59 am

Just checking in to see how you are doing.

Wow, what an exciting trip. Can't wait to hear how things went.

Hope you are having a wonderful time - and Happy Birthday !!!

:D
Berry

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:35 pm

I'd love to revisit Utah! Have a great trip!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:07 pm

The trip was fun a lot of the time, but also frustrating and even miserable at times. I was very disappointed to have pressure put on me to eat much more than I wanted because the group leader was more used to young, athletic participants whose bodies really needed the calories. Our 5-person group was all women, all overweight to some degree. The other 58-year-old and I were the slimmest! I know at least one of them had lost a lot of weight recently, along with working out hard, and I'm pretty sure she felt pressure, too. When you've been used to eating less, you also know that your body will do the work to tap into your reserves if you don't get quite enough calories from the outside and you'll be fine. We went into the situation knowing we would each have to carry a certain amount of food for the group to share, but we had enough starch to last another several days with rice, quinoa, flour, and tortillas left over even though I think we all ate more than we wanted. I hardly ever felt hungry and that was with hours of walking carrying a 35-lb. pack. That was a drag, as I am usually very content to get hungry for my meals and enjoy the scene, whatever it is, on vacation, and usually return feeling lighter and more joyous. I still feel shaky in my return to green days, though I took only yellow day, and have been picking more yesterday and today.

It was also hard to face my obstacles in the form of my knees and hips. Sleeping on the ground was not actually uncomfortable with a pretty nice roll-up pad and warm sleeping bag, but getting up and down, being in a cramped space, and having to squat to pee and poop was very hard and often painful. It took a toll on my image of myself of someone who can make do in difficult situations and who doesn't need luxury.

I find myself feeling down, not only because I really don't want to go back to work tomorrow, but also because I don't want to be disappointed in my trip! I want to feel like I had a blast. Once we had to strip down to our undies--actually not the problem, in my opinion--, and swim/float our packs across a small pond between high boulders. Though we had wrapped much of our stuff in plastic, a lot got wet. And I got a bit snippy out of how much the cold water seemed to suck the air out of me. Yuck. On the way back, there was even more water (after our being pelted with torrential rain all night in our little tent on a rock plateau). Then we had to lower ourselves off the rock by standing on the shoulders of our guide and stepping down on his thighs while others held our hands from above and below to balance. We all made it with no injuries and the others were jumping around in victory. I joined in but mostly I found myself annoyed at the level of fear I had had and at walking in cold, wet boots. I was also annoyed at myself that I had to work so hard to be cheerful about it! I was in the midst of incredible beauty much of the time, and a terrain that I adore, yet my own thoughts kept getting in the way. Oh, well. Dang this being human!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:12 pm

Hi there, glad you made it back safe and sound..and you certainly can chalk that up as a life experience not to be forgotten!

I think my body would have felt the same.

Did they not tell you guys about crossing over water?? I read a book where they had to do that with their things..yik.

For me I've been struggling to get my groove back, but surely not giving up.

I know the go back to work feeling stinks after being on vacation, regardless what kind of vacation.

You did it!!

p.s. thanks for stopping by to say hi...I was wondering if you were going to post the website for some article "lancer", eye drops..don't remember off the top of my head. you'll be back to pre-trip weight before you know it..

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:14 am

35 pound backpack??? What was your guide thinking?

I'm sorry this trip didn't live up to your expectations.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:27 am

Hi there...thanks so much for stopping back on my post.

I have been checking in on Herbsgirl as well and she seems to have disappeared. I'm sure she'll be back when she stops counting bits. I could not sit there with a clicker and count..that is worse than counting calories.

I think she'll be back! Hope so she was a lot of fun and full of excitement..

You have a great week..

deb

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Hi, friends!

Yesterday was a green SUCCESS day, but no exercise, even after all that swearing while I huffed and puffed. But I started with my 14 minutes today. We'lll see if I get my walking/cardio in. It's already 5:40 am and I have to keep getting ready for work. Oh, for the days when I woke up at 4 am, no alarm. I could get so much done in the morning! and when I didn't have to start teaching at 7:10. I'm tired in the morning and tired after work! But something's gotta give.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:38 am

WELCOME BACK AFTER YOUR TRIP, OOLALA! :D :wink: :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:17 am

TX! My body is still recovering, or maybe I've reached the age where I'll always hurt a little bit?

I had an official failure, but I feel pretty good about it. I was hungry! And I got my exercise in, though barely. Barely is better than couch potato.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:19 am

Stopping by to say hi! Hope you had a great weekend!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:34 am

Failed the last couple of days, but I almost feel like I am winning because I haven't gone back to eating after I woke up from a late afternoon nap. as I have often done after a failure. Have to get myself in gear and finish some grading because grades are due tomorrow. Whoa, a wave of desire to go back and eat more of my leftovers from dinner just came over me. BAd idea, bad idea! Not evil, just bad.

I did do my 14 minutes today, and I made it from a very light breakfast to lunch with no eating. Gotta get some satisfaction from that or I might cave tonight. Gosh, it's a bummer to be back in these waverings. I realize I keep waiting for something to make it easy again, yet I'm pretty sure I have to go through the difficulties again and just keep winning out against them until the momentum takes over again. Good luck to me!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:06 am

Can't remember how I finished off last week, except that I know I had a failure Friday, but not one that I feel terrible about. I ate too much on Saturday and it took a very long time--until the middle of the evening --before I felt good on Sunday. So I've had a good day and even got a 40 minute walk in. I've pumped a bit of iron but dont; know if I'll finish my 14 minute. It's 8;30 p.m. and still have work to do because I have a department meeting all day and have to write up plans for a sub tomorrow. I feel almost like I'm going to cry I'm so tired.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:28 am

I'm with you, oolala! I've had a couple of really heavy S Days (I thought I was starting to get them under control??!!) and this evening, I caved in and started nibbling at a cake I was preparing for DH's birthday. The frosting was great, even if I say so myself.... but now I feel bloated and kinda annoyed at myself. I won't be weighing myself for a few days since I am 'scared' of what I might see. Never mind... tomorrow is another day and I will hopefully get back into the swing of it again. I'm starting to question my willpower though and it bothers me. I thought I had it covered...just goes to show, one can never get complacent!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:20 am

Had a green day all around. KNowing it was the first day of Nov. helped. I couldn't start Nov. with a failure!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:49 am

success in all three.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

determined

Post by determined » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:17 pm

Getting back to a green day after a red one is great success....

Well done...

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi Oolala,
Just catching up. So sorry to hear your trip wasn't all you hoped it would be. I have heard the terrain in Utah is gorgeous and someday I think you will take pride in having survived the rigorous parts of it. Hey, you are 58 and you did some awe inspiring physical things that many, many people of any age would never even attempt. I think your 59th year is off to a terrific start. Since you are still aching, how about rewarding yourself for all your trip accomplishments by having a massage and spa day? Maybe have it all about pampering yourself for a day or a weekend. Then your 59th year can be about taking good care of your body and your soul. You have an adventuresome spirit and I really admire you for that. Your life is not ordinary because you choose the extraordinary.
I'm baaaack.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:48 am

Have had a good week, including the weekend after eating a can of toffee peanuts on Friday (bought to help support a colleague's daughter's fund raising program-- danger! danger! ) Last two days I have squeezed in weight work, but no walking. Have terrible sleep habits over staying up to grade papers, then sleeping early the next night. Was up at 3 a.m. this morning to get lessons ready. Got to quit waiting for a fitness partner. But just having meals for food on N days.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:32 pm

I had such a tough time between lunch and dinner yesterday. I had a plan to go out to dinner with a friend to begin the celebration of this week off. We hadn't set a time and I called around 3;30 pm to see if she'd be willing to go early. Turned out she had gone out to the mountains with her boyfriend and had left the message about that on my home phone. I couldn't believe how frantic I felt not knowing when we could go. Even after we got together, I felt antsy and crabby. The place we wanted to eat at had a 25-minute wait, and I didn't want to wait, but we put our name on the list and walked around. She had been walking in the mountains, but said she didn't mind, yet was ambling when I felt I needed to be brisk. Oh, enough, it was just interesting how unsettled I felt. We did stick with the original place and it was very good, though I ate faster than usual, and had to only hope at virtual plating, as the plates were very small. However, I didn't eat after i got home and that was a real coup.

I've been toying with pretending I'm not a person with a food problem. At times in the past few days I've said to myself, oh, dont even think about that (snacking or eating sweets on N days) because I don't have a problem with food. that was completely lost last night.

I find I still dicker with it all so much. It took me 15 minutes of looking at all my food to decide what to have for breakfast, and I didn't have waffles or pancakes, which I wanted, but feared because they have often set off an eating spree rather than truly satisfying me. It's done now and the meal was good, with no sweets but some banana. I'm committed to just mocha between now and lunch. I'm starting a retreat tonight that begins with dinner; I'm betting there will be desserts that I'll want to enjoy so I'm trying to plan moderation. I'll often start like this on weekends and then that pernicious thought will come in that I should be able to eat whatever I want despite the fact that I know S is for sometimes only.

I'm also trying to eat up some of the food in my fridge as I'll be gone a week. Thankfully the leftovers sound good to me. I'll freeze what I can that won't keep.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

determined

Post by determined » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:17 pm

You did it! You struggled, you analyzed, and you won. I think those days of struggling AND winning are the stepping stones to health. Well done....very well done!!!!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:43 pm

I'm back from the retreat. Ate more than I was really hungry for at times, but my pants are looser. Have ahd a green day so far.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:59 am

No S success, though I felt almost desperate for dinner-yet I wasn't actually hungry. I felt I could not wait until I WAS hungry, which wouldn't have had me eating later than I have when I was caught up with things I wanted to do. Ah, me. Also didn't get in any exercise. I'm too caught between trying to get enough sleep when I don't feel in charge of when my body WILL sleep, and getting work done that I just don't seem to be able to concentrate enough hours at school to do. I spent too much of my time with students on detention and interviewing possible plagiarists in my English class, when I just need to be grading or preparing materials. Even tonight, I was so tired after dinner that I lay down and slept until now. Now I have to get more discussion questions ready for one class and write a yearly plan for another student who's having a meeting Thursday-- actually, it was supposed to be today and I ddin't have the plan written! I thought it was tomorrow. Tx goodness the parents didn't show up. And I still have a few more papers of a few students to read to finish grading an assignment that was due weeks ago! I feel enough pressure ( at 11:28 pm) to get those discussion questions into a Word document and maybe 1/3 of the plan done but not enough to do my 14 minutes of weights and go for a walk... yeah, a walk at midnight. I can't get my DVD to work, so no fitness tape.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:52 pm

Though I've felt desperate to eat dinner at times, I am feeling better about my compliance recently. I'm also noticing that some of my pants are fitting just a bit looser, which helps reinforce my resolve. I keep telling myself to remind myself this weekend how much better I feel when I stick to the 3-meal plan in hopes the remembered pleasure will outweigh the sense of entitlement to overeat on weekends I often feel, even though it often leaves me feeling bloated and lethargic.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:32 am

I had a good weekend with only one major S event each day. Big improvement for me. All green days so far. Left a post on the general board about taking a NWS day tomorrow to enjoy the goodies baked for us by our PTA. Got a potluck Sunday night. Other than that, I'm planning on sanity.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:31 pm

Things have been good. Got back into the 21-day club. I'm back down to where I was at about my lowest on No S- though I'm not supposed to know. I'll be posting a testimonial around New Year's. I wasn't supposed to weigh until Jan. 8 but I'll move it up.

I have time off from work and am getting in a little exercise. I went a little overboard at the school dessert function last Friday, but it didn't carry into the weekend, and I figured that's why it's worth it to be fiercely moderate the rest of the time. My theory about just getting through 3 decent weekends feels right. I'm looking forward to a tame-enough weekend for it being Christmas. I started to write more but will save it for the testimonial.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:03 am

A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS oolala! Also, many congratulations on your ongoing success with the Plan! Fantastic! I follow your posts regularly and avidly since I feel we are of similar size/weight loss goals etc. Really looking forward to reading your testimonial when you decide to post. Thanks so much for being an inspiration and all the very best to you and yours for 2012 and beyond.

Best wishes from Roxy xxxxxx

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:55 pm

Did well with exercise (all gravy) on the weekend and yesterday, though I forgot my 14 minutes. Had a NO S fail last evening, but nothing spectacular, so I'm not panicking. I try not to have weight goals but am secretly thinking I will lose at least ten pounds this year with better weekend eating and regular exercise. Not to mention how much stronger I'll feel with 5x a week of 14 minutes of resistance exercise. I know I felt springier on my walk yesterday after better compliance last week. I just don't aim for more than that.

On Spark there is a young woman who has lost 181 lbs. and has maintained for 9 years, but she sticks to about 1,000 calories a day and took her Christmas dinner with her to her inlaws because she did not want to eat the food there. And it sounded like she could have had a perfectly reasonable meal there.

She is still admittedly concerned with food, weight, and appearance just about all day long. I find myself looking at her posts and blogs like a person looks at a car crash. It's really almost terrible of me because I judge the hell out of her, but maybe it's also a way I help keep myself on track. I do not want to live like that; eating moderately three times a day and enjoying my social times is more important than a certain weight. Is it sour grapes? I know there's also a bit of resentment because I blame people like her for perpetuating the idea that we need to get that thin to be successful. But, I am free and over 21, so it is up to me to stay on my own foundation. In fact, I know that I am a bit chagrined over how much I still think about these things. One of my goals this year is to pursue at least one interest that will help divert my thoughts. Plus, I have to determine some kind of limit on trolling the NO S site and Sparkpeople.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:22 pm

I am glad you mention it becuase I follow her too and find it depressing to read actually. Seeing her meals are sad, steamed chicken and veggies often with no seasoning or oils. And yes it seems like a fuul time job for her. I would rather have a little meat on my bones than live in her mindset. That is not freedom.
I am on board with the pursuing of interests,,!!!!! And let's not forget to live mindfully in the present and enjoy it. Sometimes happiness and joyfulness is a choice. with young kids around I don't always feel I have the time to pursue interests but I can try and do my best at whatever I am presently doing.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:50 pm

Hey guys! :D

Great post, oolala! Very helpful to read about this type of experience... particularly as I, too, focus a lot on weight and tend to panic if I see the lbs going on, even the natural fluctuations that occur on a daily basis can sometimes knock me for six. I used to be a lot 'worse' though and it was around 30 yrs ago when I lost a dramatic amount of weight following a diet I found in a magazine. It was a very frugal way of eating and didn't allow for any treats... even bananas were banned! How I managed to stick to it I will never know. I managed to for well over a year and lost several stones. I was verging on anorexia tbh, and I too brought a lot of my own food with me when staying with family and friends. Needless to say, something had to give, and I basically just got fed up with the constant hunger pangs and food anxiety. It didn't take long for much of the weight I lost to come back on... which, particularly at the beginning, was my biggest 'fear". But, at the time I started the diet I didn't need to lose much weight - if at all - anyway.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:41 pm

Yesterday was a success, but it almost didn't feel like one because I wasn't very hungry at meal times, yet I did not want to wait any longer to eat or skip a meal. At night I went to a dinner party and I think we didn't even eat until after 8 pm! I wasn't starved, but I certainly ate. I felt a bit like I was wolfing my food and I wished I had left half my bread. I opted to have some eggnog for dessert, which is a bit dicey as a beverage, but I don't drink it all year; the others had peppermint coconut milk ice "cream."

I found myself annoyed because two of the women there were complaining of being fat. One of them had a BMI of 25.7, only .8 in the overweight category. She is muscle-y and looks so slim! I know she has gained weight and is uncomfortable, but no way is she 'fat." She is lighter than 70% of the women in her age and height category. The other is slimmer than 84% of women in her category and doesn't even register as overweight! I can accept it better if people say they feel heavy from eating too much, but calling themselves fat. I dunno. It bugs, especially when I'm still at 26.6 BMI, still 1.7 points high. Oh, well, I can't dwell on that, but just keep at my habits. No need to get bummed if I'm still not implementing all my moderate habits. And on that note...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:38 pm

It came to me recently that what I really have to work on is my self-criticism. I finally saw that I had replaced my abject disgust with myself over eating issues with the same feeling over other issues, most commonly now the paper clutter (mostly) at my house and in my garage, and my (in my mind) unacceptable failure at finding work I like to do. A subset of that is self-hate over avoiding the work that needs to be done for my job.

I've have been working on this for years, actually. I thought I was doing better, esp. after several years of Zen, but also from previous years' work with cognitive behavioral techniques and many other modalities. In fact, I know I'm better, but there are areas of difficulty. In Zen, they would say that these are the areas that we subconsciously feel are closest to our identities. The closer to the identity we want to protect, the greater the fear. I know all this but was missing how it was still working. And I don't imagine I'm going to solve it over night.

I had a very frustrating relationship with a guy last year (whom I've decided was a real-life narcissist) who did point out something that took awhile to sink in. I really am punishingly self-critical ABOUT CERTAIN THINGS. I was hiding behind the idea that I was simply making observations about my habits. But it's one thing to say I'm kind of a slob (I'm not at the TV show Buried Alive level yet!), and another to feel as I do at times that it makes me a worthless human being. Intellectually I know that is insane, but it doesn't mean I can't get into a downward spiral over it. I try to hide it the way I used to hide bingeing. I never did make it a practice to binge in front of others, but I got better at not castigating myself for it. I need to get better at not castigating myself for not wanting to take care of life's (to me) unpleasantries.

In a certain way, I see how feeling I've made such headway on eating issues has made these other areas come to the fore. I know my eating in the past was covering up making progress in life. I know that's not true of everybody. And it may be that I never achieve perfection in career or clutter control. But I've got to take my own advice and remind myself that I am worthy as is.

I sense a habitcal moment coming on.

There has got to be something that is similar to No S in helping me get out of the mess. I've signed up for Flylady and an email organization program specifically for creative people. But in the mean time, I have to also work on not whipping up the shame and guilt. They're not working, which is their only advantage. But just as it would be hard to feel good if I were overeating all the time like I used to, it will be hard to feel good if I keep letting time pass without making a dent in the messes. So I'm off for exercise, lunch, and the garage!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:33 pm

Hooboy, things got worse spirit-wise yesterday when I attended my maid's funeral. Can a funeral make it seem like someone's life was better than it was? I found myself comparing. She leaves behind a husband, children and grandchildren. Her husband got up and spoke and even sang! There were tons on people there. The man next to me said there had been even more at the service the night before. I said I knew she was involved with her church but he said they were a lot of friends. But maybe it was more like my life. I bet a lot of people from work, Zen, and dance would show up to my funeral, but we hardly see each other if we are not participating in the events that bring us together in the first place.

I've been having a bit of a crisis of spirt lately. I feel I have not been able to create any sense of family in life, not with my own family, nor with what I call our adopted family, friends. It all feels like so much work. I felt very envious this week when I attended a dinner of a women's meetup group at the apartment of two women who had met and become friends at a yoga class! They were both probably in their early 50'- not that far from me in age. They became good enough friends that they got an apartment together, although that will be temporary as one of them wants to buy a house. (That was another reason I felt envious. One of them was basically retired; the other makes enough money that she was considering buying a house in a very tony neighborhood.) So many things that seem possible for other people seem to elude me, even though I do believe I have put effort into them. But even as I listen to myself, I think that is crazy talk as many things about my life are things others would probably envy me for. And it isn't as if I accept all comers with open arms. Or that those women are happy all the time with their lot. Don't worry, I know all the right things to say to myself, but that negative mind sure can be convincing.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:36 pm

Oh, despite everything yesterday, it was a green success. I wasn't hungry at all today but decided to go ahead and have lunch at 1 pm. I'm back to getting too antsy to wait to be hungry on the weekend, but will not pick this afternoon. One more cookie, a cup of coffee and then nothing until dinner, which will be late because of the holiday. But I doubt I'll be up until midnight.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:43 am

oolala: if you are reading this post tonight, just wanted to say a BIG Thank You for your ongoing inspirational posts. I have said this often, but will say it again, it seems like we are similar height etc. and have similar weight loss goals. I was sorry to read you were feeling a little down this evening. Easier said than done, but please don't be too hard on yourself! You have done/are doing a fantastic job on the No S Plan and you inspire me to keep going so kudos to you, hon, and I hope you will continue to post throughout 2012 and beyond. I love reading of your progress (trust that isn't too much pressure, if you know what I mean ! :p)

ALL THE VERY BEST TO YOU AND YOURS AND A VERY HAPPY 2012!!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi oolala,

I too want to thank you for the encouragement you have given me and let you know that I look forward to 2012,

I naturally got off track over the holidays but am ready for a fresh start.

Excited about it as a matter of fact. :D
Berry

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:41 am

WELCOME BACK, BERRY! I too, am excited to get started again after a rather indulgent couple of weekends. I was able to follow No S somewhat on my N days....but I have been hindered by my recent thyroid medication. I am hoping this is only a temporary thing and I will get back on track after the holidays.

You are also an inspiration to me and thanks for posting. All the very best for your No S New Year!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:50 am

I hope no one thinks I'm gloating but I've had an awesome holiday season and I know I have lost weight even since Thanksgiving, even with eating everything I wanted to. I have not felt swayed by the eating season. I'm basking now and hoping I won't be eating my words and everything else later!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:14 am

Congratulations, Oolala :D . Your posts show that No S has not been easy for you at times, and yet you have kept going, reflecting, changing things and have come to this point over time. I hope to be in the same place this time next year, with you as my inspiration.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:02 am

oolala53 wrote:I hope no one thinks I'm gloating but I've had an awesome holiday season and I know I have lost weight even since Thanksgiving, even with eating everything I wanted to. I have not felt swayed by the eating season. I'm basking now and hoping I won't be eating my words and everything else later!
It's not gloating, it's rightly being proud of your achievements :) Congratulations!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:44 pm

Good for you!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:48 pm

Not gloating....I know where you have been and with perseverance got out of it. It just gives me hope!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:03 pm

Just read the previous page. I hope you are feeling better. Funny how we the way we see people and how we see ourselves are so different. Between this and the other board so many people look up to you for your vast knowledge and ability to put it down on paper.
Even though I am the youngest of six kids I don't have any relationship with my siblings...I don't think any of us have much of a relationship. Apart from my husband and kids I feel very similar to how you do.
I guess it's another think to either work on or accept.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:35 am

Thanks, Snap!

Well, I have had the weirdest day. I have not been hungry at all and I haven't cared. I so often feel resentful when I don't get hungry. I did have milky coffee mid-morning, but that's it so far. I'm experimenting with this. Normally, I would go ahead and have small meals even though I wasn't hungry partly to keep the habit and partly because I just wanted the pleasure of tasting and chewing. But today, I don't want it. Nothing sounds good, and I'm not sick! I'm just going to go with it. I like to think I have hit some kind of balance and my body is drawing out the fat so I don't feel very hungry. However, if I suddenly feel ravenous, I have the fixin's for a nice meal. If not, perhaps I'll have the mother of all breakfasts tomorrow!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gk

Post by gk » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:21 pm

Good for you! That is a true sign of success - the fact that you're listening to your hunger and only eating when you're truly hungry - not just because it's mealtime and you're allowed. Very inspiring! :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:28 pm

TX, gk. I did get hungry about 8:30 last night, so had veggies, bread, and yogurt. I'm not starved this morning. I'm not opposed to going back to the meal structure on weekdays even if I'm not always hungry. I ran into problems when I used to go too long or miss meals with others. But I'll play it by ear. I've come to think of this as a yearly process. What I'll be doing a year from now may be different, but I doubt it will be eating six times a day!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:25 am

late breakfast of coffee
lunch 1/2 pork chile verde burrito 1/2 banana
coffee snack
dinner hi-fiber cereal (that's what I felt like!) fish fillet, 1/2 banana

Very unusual for me not to have some greens. I said it was because I didn't want to go to the trouble so that I could get out in the garage and work, but I ended up writing too many online postings!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:19 am

Very little hunger. Basically had two meals. And coffee.

Success in RE 90X.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:30 am

Success with all three, though a shortened weight session.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:45 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!! :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:23 am

Okay, another weird day. I had a breakfast and then was rushing to get stuff done before my maid came (yeah, I know), and I also had to meet a friend for a walk. I realized after I left that I had not eaten lunch! I still haven't eaten. I have a funny kind of bubbly feeling in my stomach as if any second all the bubbles will pop and I'll be starved! I had a similar situation the other day but gave in and ate before I felt very hungry and swore that if it happened again I was going to hold out. I just want to see where it goes. I wouldn't have tried this a year ago, but I feel more solid now.

Success in No S, weights and cardio.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

2-year testimonial finally posted

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:39 pm

MANY CONGRATULATIONS OOLALA! FANTASTIC TESTIMONIAL TOO!!!

franxious1

Post by franxious1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:56 pm

AWESOME!!! Very inspiring. Thanks!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:35 am

Success in No S, weights. Fail cardio

brkfst: corn muffin, fruit, hb egg
two mugs coffee w/creamer, stevia
lunch: chicken, wedge of naan, pea pods, orange pepper, apple
dinner: 1/2 chile verde burrito, cabbage, carrot, onion mixture, small grapefruit
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:13 am

Just wanted to pop in and say I loved reading your testimonial - it's so inspirational to find someone with such a healthy attitude to food which is having steady results!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:04 am

No S and weights success. Not yet with cardio.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:04 pm

I hadn't had a failure since the Monday after Thanksgiving and then I went a little crazy with bread after dinner last night. It's amazing how calmly I sat there eating slice after slice. Oh, well, just have to amke sure it's not the beginning of a trend, which I don't really fear.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

franxious1

Post by franxious1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:44 pm

Hey, that doesn't sound bad at all! Thanskgiving was a long time ago. No one's perfect...

Have a great weekend!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:27 am

Hi oolala! I'm with franxious !!

I, too, had a bit of an overindulgent Friday (last week) when I started nibbling fudge after dinner. The nibbles then turned into proper (full size) pieces and I continued until there was practically no fudge left. However, I am pleased to say I was able to get back on track again with my N days and did not suffer from the food anxiety that I had done for many years when I was on endless cycles of 'regular diets' which only ever lasted 2-3 days at the most and lead to all out binges the remainder of the time.

You will be fine, hon :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:38 pm

Have had a good week. Food good each day and weights work done, too. Not as much walking. I've had to do a lot of hoofing at work so I've been counting that as 15 minutes a day. Now that I write that, I think I really should be able to add a half hour at home. Got to get home earlier, though it's not out of the question to walk at night in my 'hood.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:03 am

Food success Monday and Tuesday after two failures late last week. Back to the weirdness off off-sleep and grading. I was up until 2 a.m. grading Sun. night and did not do weights or walking yesterday. I had dinner at 5 and fell asleep not long after until about an hour ago, though I did wake up awhile for a phone call. And marveled that I had no desire to eat at night. It still tickles me.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:41 pm

Thanks for your encouraging words on my thread! You are doing great! 8)
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:42 pm

I've been failing this week on food, but I don't feel terrible about it. Am I too complacent? Sometimes when I think how long it is taking for me to get into my normal BMI range, I can start to get crabby, but the truth is being crabby hardly ever helped me get serious the next time I had a choice to make about food, so I try to divert my thoughts. I have kept up 4 out of 5 days one 14 minutes, so that's an improvement over last year. Speaking of, though it's a weekend, I think I'll take a walk.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:57 pm

oolala53 wrote:I've been failing this week on food, but I don't feel terrible about it. Am I too complacent? Sometimes when I think how long it is taking for me to get into my normal BMI range, I can start to get crabby, but the truth is being crabby hardly ever helped me get serious the next time I had a choice to make about food, so I try to divert my thoughts. I have kept up 4 out of 5 days one 14 minutes, so that's an improvement over last year. Speaking of, though it's a weekend, I think I'll take a walk.

Nothing in life that a good walk won't help. :wink: So glad to see you embracing the exercise.
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:59 pm

Two green food days and three days of 14 minutes 9Still got today to go for food). The house is down in the low 60's when I get up and I start my movements in the bathroom with a space heater. By the fourth move, I'm out in the bedroom and some days I get so hot I go out on the deck to finish! I wonder how I'll feel if I get to spring and am still in the overweight range? Got to remember that when I'm tempted to fail on N days or eat silly on S days.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Oolala,

Just thought I'd drop you a little "thank you" for steering me in the direction of Judith Beck and her book The Beck Diet Solution. I read so many of your posts here and there on the boards where you mentioned it that I became intrigued and decided to get the book.
It is making so much sense to me. I am up to day 7 where I need to arrange my environment...funny, I did that a long time ago when I realized that ice cream and I couldn't inhabit the same living space!
I love the fact that I am working on my "diet head" now and not my "diet." NoS has never been a problem for me - it's what I do to myself when I eat something I shouldn't or I stray from it searching for something "better." So Ms. Beck is truly speaking to me!
So, thank you again and keep up all your great work...you are inspirational!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

oolala53

Beck

Post by oolala53 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:48 pm

I'm glad Beck has done you good. I sometimes wonder what would happen if they did a study on using only her pre-diet techniques, esp. the beginning suggestions about enjoying every bite, sitting down to eat, and stopping before you're full, over the course of a year and seeing where people were-- no calorie counting or tracking. Stastitically, 75% of maintainers do track, but those are only the ones who lost 30 lbs. or more. How many never get there? But boy, people do resist even the relatively easy changes like No S. I'm not talking about us, who are giving it a real chance. Good luck on your next phase.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:26 pm

Loved your testimonial. Congratulations on feeling free from food obsession. You will reach your goals and it will be your diet not some diet imposed from without.
I'm baaaack.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:56 pm

Had a semi-wild Saturday and a sane Sunday but mostly because I was panicked about grades and still am not close to done. I didn't do my reistance work this morning as my sleep was whack. I was up at 2:30 a.m. writing emails about student problems. maybe I'll get it in tonight? But I did do it every day last week. I am not getting my walking in. I'm going to have to rev things up a bit if I want to get into my normal BMI range by Mar. 20. I'll also have to give away several pairs of pants if they don't fit decently by then or I don't lose the weight. I've got 35 days after today, so we are starting to get close, given that I'm almost at the same place I was at the beginning of this round. However, I am still congratulating myself on not gaining. No relapse!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Stopping by to say Hey.... (and what's this secret metric thing?) :roll:

I love looking at your stats, just look how far you have come from the beginning - 24 pounds! Wow, that is amazing. I post on Calorie-Count Plus and they have a graph that comes up every time I log on that shows my weight on the first day I was there in Dec 2007 (160) pounds and today (149). That is eleven pounds but has made such a difference.

I cannot imagine 24 pounds, that is great.

Sorry you are so stressed about work, grades, students, etc. Both of my kids are in the education system and I know how hard they work. Neither teach at the public school level anymore (one is at a private liberal arts university and one works for the federal government) but that was truly their most stressful times.

Stay the course,
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:48 pm

I had a good week with food, not so great with exercise, but whatrya gonna do? I am so close to getting into my normal BMI range and I know the crux of the issue is still weekend eating, which isn't as bad as it was but is still not moderate. I did have several moderate weekends in a row and that made a big difference. I keep thinking they will become routine but I woke up this morning thinking I would start with cookies and that has never ended well. So I'm waiting to eat for a bit to see if I get some more sane inspiration.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:04 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Congrats on the good week, and the weight loss!
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:23 am

Thank you for your exceedingly insightful post on Kathleen's blog. Your honest, succinct message about binges, self-deception, feelings of control (or lack thereof) hit home with me in a powerful way. It's so clear that while "you've been there and done that," you've also seen your way through to the other side. Bravo! This one's a keeper!

-Brianna (aka Rubyslippers)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:41 pm

Haven't been counting days, but I've been compliant for a few weeks, I think. I'm just a few weeks away from my next weigh in on Mar. 20, first day of spring. I'm trying not to get too expectant. I've wanted to get into my normal BMI range for so long, but I also don't want to just get in it for ten minutes, meaning I don't want to do some heroic eating and exercising only to have them drop by the wayside and then have me gain weight back. I'm not fearful of putting a lot back on, but I'd rather not mess with it. Just steady, maintainable habits.

I was inspired reading the testimonial on the father of four who has done so well and he's up to only 12 minutes of exercise a day. I got my 14-minutes in yesterday. I've got to stick to that, even if it means doing it in shorter bouts throughout the day. Not ideal, but it will increase the likelihood that I'll do it and end up extending the time.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:33 pm

Sounds like you're doing great, oolala! Thanks again for stopping by my thread. Really enjoy your posts :)

Have a great weekend!! :D :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:36 am

I had a failure Thursday and ate light on Friday. Brought home a smallish piece of cheesecake from a staff lunch. Today, I stopped myself from eating it for breakfast, but ended up having it midmorning though I hadn't planned to. I resolved not to have a meal until I got legitimately hungry. Unbelievably, it's now 9 p.m. and I never got hungry, even though I also went to a dance class and sweat up a storm. I'm not happy about it. I like to eat more often! Even though I'm not hungry. Old problem. But I'm sticking to my guns. Going to bed soon. Hope I don't wake up hungry in the middle of the night.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:56 am

Hi again, oolala! Just posted to your thread on the General Discussion Board re. your mod of "eating only when hungry" on S Days. Thank you so much for this suggestion! I really think it is a great idea and I am glad it is working for you. I know what you mean - it can get difficult sometimes since the old brain is telling the tummy to eat regardless of hunger. I have had two very heavy S Days this weekend. I don't feel particularly good about myself and my apparent lack of control, and it baffles me since I can be so compliant on N Days practically without thinking about it and without a hint of a craving :roll:

I think I am going to find it a bit disconcerting at first and I may have a few failures along the way, but I am really, really keen to try out this mod, starting next weekend. I thought I had managed to break the cycle of eating when not hungry and just for the sake of it and the amount I scarfed this weekend really shocked me. It just goes to prove there is still a very thin line between constraint and letting go, aka bingeing again. I definitely have proven to myself that I can - given time and perseverence - stick to an organized pattern of eating and not be tempted by sweets etc. on N Days. The beauty of experimenting with this on S Days is I have taught myself not to look upon it as a failure as its an S Day. Thanks again for the great suggestion. I'll keep you posted how I get on next weekend. Have a great week!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:11 am

Have had an okay weekend though I had a little bit of an old-style run on sweets today. I hope I'm not kidding myself when I don't feel scared by it. I know previously when I lost weight I thought it was going to last, but I think I'm more aware of what the slide looks like. I'll be uber aware on these coming N days. I'm surprised sometimes that thoughts of sweets can still pop into my head as a good idea on N days, like ghosts. I can usually follow it with, No, that's not a good idea. That's the old habit opening its eyes. Go back to sleep! You're not needed anymore! And get back to working up my appetite for my next meal.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi oolala! I am hearing you on the candies! This week, I'm (also) finding my N Days to be particularly difficult! :roll: :twisted:

Bit of background over the past day or so: weelll.... I guess I caved in and went back to my diet club yesterday! Why oh why? I am not kidding! Since doing so, instead of helping me stick with the No S Plan and encouraging me to be better on my S Days, as was the intention ...I've had nothing but strong cravings and feelings of deprivation! I've found myself thinking too much about what I'm going to (NOT) eat again and its been overall a miserable experience. I can't really explain it but I feel like I am starting from Day 1 on No S when I had to get 'used' to the N Days and everything was foriegn to me. Not good!! I think you know what's coming next: I am going to cancel my next appointment because it just isn't working and I've done nothing but fret this past 2 days.... all for the sake of trying what I thought was the best in calming down my S Days. I even swore off re-joining ... but :oops: :oops: I failed to mention that I did renew my membership for a year back in December. Again, in a moment of 'weakness'.
I know, crazy! On a more positive note, I am hoping that this experience might help me with my S Day Quest: to be moderate and organized and NOT overindulge too much. I think if I got just a couple of moderate S Days under my belt, not to mention rid of a few lbs, I would feel much, MUCH better!

Sorry oolala! I also failed miserably on the Eat When Hungry mod over the weekend. I didn't go overboard but I was 'unable' to not eat my 3 regular meals... plus a few extras inbetween. I guess this is the catalyst that keeps me going on No S. Perhaps I'm not quite ready for this mod or I'm overthinking it...or both! I know when I cancel that appointment I will feel much better.... but I still have the weight concerns. I thought that the accountability factor of weighing in in front of an audience/weight counsellor might help... but all this has done for me has started me refocussing on food/diets and HUNGER!
:twisted: aargh!! I hope tomorrow is a better day!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:21 pm

You don't have to apologize to me for not making it on the "hunger" mod for S days. I don't think many people use it and it's dangerous territory for most. I think you might have to try to let yourself off the hook a little more. If it's this hard, something isn't making sense. And I'm still not clear on how much hunger and satiety you're used to on N days.

I toyed with the hunger mod for a long time before trying it in earnest. I would occasionally have a Saturday morning on which I had already eaten pretty heavily early on and I would rather casually see if I could go two hours, then three, etc. on that day before eating, whereas the week before I might have nibbled every hour. Or maybe it would be a Sunday afternoon. It was sporadic. It was only after I had had a few times like that that I thought I could try it on purpose.

In the meantime, have you made out a list of reasons you want to eat more reasonably? Are you reviewing it consistently? Come up with at least ten. Maybe you should just do that as a habitcal entry for the rest of this month with no other targeted changes.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:19 am

Had a fail last night. I didn't crash the car, though. Just a dent, but I didn't feel terrific when I went to bed. Was surprised that I was hungry for breakfast.

Determined to put a fence around the law tonight and tomorrow.

Got a St. Patrick's Day party to go to. Looking forward to it. I know there'll be good food and great desserts!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:09 am

I had a big fail tonight. It's so tough, since I had started out on Vanilla S and was almost a full 2 weeks thru completely green/yellow.
BIG fail. Like a 7-cookie fail.
I recognized, though the second i had one cookie that it was a fail and thought I may as well fail big-time...LAME thoughts.
Thanks for all your wise words ALL over the boards.
You are an example and inspiration to all.
Liz