oolala53

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:17 am

Pick yourself up, brush off the crumbs and move on. You can do this! 8)
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:44 am

Hi guys! Hi oolala! Thanks again for your caring and helpful words. Much appreciated. Yeah, I guess I haven't said much about my N Days and my satiety levels but overall, I don't have hunger pangs as such so you could say my satiety levels (apart from the past few days which are not typical) are at an optimum. A lot of it definitely is psychological rather than 'true' hunger esp on the S Days. I think I got myself into a habit or a comfort zone where I really really looked forward to my S Days as a reward for N Day compliance (as is the purpose), but also for indulging in my favorite sweet,sickly foods without restriction. That;s the key: I have no organization on S Days and don't tend to make nutritious choices on S Days either. BUT I feel really good about these coming S Days because I feel that I may just be able to keep them under control and start to be moderate with my choices. This could be why I've been feeling so hungry recently on N Days; my mind 'knows' I'm not going to be eating as freely this weekend, whereas this was my 'trick' for coping with N Days (esp at the start of No S when I needed most encouragement to stick with it).
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:21 am

TX. ibb.

I was looking in a cabinet for something else last night and noticed some marshmallows. The thought occurred that I could just pop one or two in some cocoa. Then I realized that was a leftover urge from last night's fail and caught it. Stitch in time. Reminded me that success on this is in these decisions. Just make the right seemingly small decision at the right time and things get easier. The first times, they do not feel small, though.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:23 am

oolala53 wrote:TX. ibb.

I was looking in a cabinet for something else last night and noticed some marshmallows. The thought occurred that I could just pop one or two in some cocoa. Then I realized that was a leftover urge from last night's fail and caught it. Stitch in time. Reminded me that success on this is in these decisions. Just make the right seemingly small decision at the right time and things get easier. The first times, they do not feel small, though.

:mrgreen: Good for you! Those good decisions add up to Success! :mrgreen:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:15 am

I didn't feel that good today and had another crappy email from an impossible-to-please parent. The principal okayed her daughter's transfer, which is fine with me. It's the principal's policy that put her in my class in the first place. Gosh, I spend time on that girl and offered her so much and that mom kept turning around everything I said. I have a study session with kids on Saturday for a big test we have. I am the only English teacher offering it this year and the mother said she was offended that I said I did not get paid for it, but that it was available and that students could earn extra credit for coming. She actually complained to the principal, saying she resented my telling her that and it was just more proof of my lack of generosity to the students and that it was just my job. Well, she's the one who got her daughter out of my class before the girl turned in work she owed me and before she would have had a chance to perform on this test and raise her grade so she is now going to a new class with an F, 9 weeks before she is supposed to graduate. You'd think I could just blow it off, but I thought I could do the girl some good and I was vilified for it. Oh, well, it's more of the reason I'm glad I'm not teaching that level any more.

My stomach was in knots and I felt a bit queasy at dinner time, but I had a show to go to and didn't want to chance getting starved in the middle of my friend's show. I had a light dinner and it actually felt pretty good. I had a few thoughts of trying to find a treat somewhere but it went away. It's 11:00 p.m. now and I'm not a bit hungry.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:20 am

So sorry you had a bad day Oolala!! Parents don't do their kids any favors do they?...especially this girl is a senior in high school? She should be taking care of her own business without her mother interfering at all imho! Hope your stomach feels better today. Thank you for the work that you do. Teachers play such a vital role in the lives of our children and they have to put up with so much junk!!! How can she accuse you of not being generous to your students when it is obviously the opposite since you are putting in extra time for their benefit? :? As I said, it's the student that is losing here big time! In life you can't just tuck your tail and run everytime things get difficult. Sending cyber hugs your way!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:23 pm

I second that, Zippee!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:09 pm

I'm adding this here. I had actually written it all as a response on someone else's thread but then felt it might be too long, so I referenced there.

I swear one of the major reasons I stick to those three meals is to have many opportunities to get very hungry. The whole meal after that tastes so wonderful, but especially the first few bites of each item. I think I'd actually be torn if it turned out that that behavior made me gain weight.

But two years in it is still not automatic in the sense that I just forget about food and the whole issue in between meals. I'm not sure what would have to happen for that to become true. I have sometimes wondered if a hypnotist could remove the memory of my having been concerned with food for 45 years. I keep thinking it also has to do with the fact that my job is an imperfect fit for me, but was my best option after years of searching, and that I don't have a romantic relationship and actually few socially active friendships.... but it seems there are a fair number of people on this site who've struggled a lot with food even though they like their jobs and feel they have otherwise full lives.

BTW, I actually went on very few successful diets in all those years or even tried specific ones, though the few I did actually taught me things in retrospect. But I also got up every day intending to have a good eating day and ended up eating about 1000 calories of chocolate or [mostly other] sweets every day. While reading all the anti-diet books and some diet books.

I will say this: I think I eat a much wider variety of foods than I would have if I hadn't had this obsession, and I'm pretty sure I eat a better quality diet than a lot of thin people. The women I lunch with at work who have never been heavy hardly ever eat a vegetable or fruit! At least in my presence.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:30 pm

Oolalla53: Thank you so much for your encouraging words on my check-in. After my "fail", I did just that and moved on.
I appreciate your experience with the marshmallows because it really IS those small decisions that make up our life.
Not like a marshmallow would kill ya...but what does it mean for every other temptation you have?
I think it's fantastic to compare it to a marriage like you did.
I'm committed to my husband and don't even consider small temptations...ever.
I also think the way I tell my children ABSOLUTES about certain moral values we have in our family and how it's easier to decide NOW how we will act in temptation situations applies here.
Your students are lucky to have such a great teacher!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:07 pm

I don't envy you having to deal with those difficult parents. Thanks for teaching, you're a hero! I home-schooled my two sons, but can't imagine the stress of a whole roomful! Hope your weekend is great!
Patty

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:20 am

I had plans to skip snacks this afternoon in prep for a party. Didn't happen so I wasn't too hungry at the party. Still had a moderate plate ( a little less, actually) and bites of a few desserts. I'm pretty full, but I feel fine about it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks for your encouragement! We're in this together!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:08 pm

Having an okay S day. Feeling the beginnings of a cold and cannot get sick this week! We have one more week of school before a break and high stakes testing all week, tests that only a few in my dept. are qualified to give. The other teachers and I are booked all week with it. Not much attracted to sweets anyway, but that hasn't always stopped me in the past. I've got to be tough, though. I'm very sure sweets are not helpful to the immune system.

I will go out for quick trip to library and to buy soup broth. Wish me luck staying well.

Two more days until my tri-monthly weigh in.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:19 pm

Praying that you get well, you're right about the sugar and the immune system.
I heard that sugar compromises your immune system for several hours. I always take zinc with vitamin C if I feel cold symptoms. Oh and be sure to get enough rest! (Can you tell I'm a mom?) 8) :wink:
Patty

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:24 am

So sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well. Get well soon!!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:31 am

Hope to feel well soon. I just got over a cold and it's plain old yucky. Enjoy some sleep before your bust week ahead! Take care of yourself.
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:52 am

Thanks, all. It's a drag not to be in better shape for this testing, but I don't have a fever and no aches or pains, so it's more annoying than anything. I just hope my heavy breathing doesn't come out on the recording of their presentations!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:15 pm

Sorry about the late-night phone reply! "Bust=busy", "to=you".
Sheesh I need to edit!
HAPPY MONDAY
Liz

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi oolala! Just popping in with the others to wish you well! Hope you are feeling better soon....((((((hugs)))))))))

Also.... good luck on your tri-monthly weigh in. Not that you need it! Excited and happy for you. :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:48 am

Be careful what you ask for.

I ate some salty foods (including some broth for my cold) and had that water weight gain just a day before my last weigh in. However, I developed a mild case of, ahem, diarrhea later today on top of my cold issues. I don't think they're related. I think the digestive issues are from a burrito I got at a local market: trying to save time with no cooking or cleaning up. Anyway, it may have kept me on track. I'm glad to be getting away from the scale because I don't want to have weird things happen to me so that I get the number I want.

Not hungry, but will have some yogurt in awhile and see if I can recover enough without drugs so that I won't have to worry during student interviews tomorrow. The appointments don't have a lot of leeway.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:17 am

Hope the yogurt does the trick. So sorry you aren't feeling well!

Diets Don't Work.

Selina

Post by Selina » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:23 am

Hey, get better soon!
start where you are. use what you have. do what you can.
- arthur ashe

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:42 pm

I've already told this in two places, but I met my wish, not goal, of entering the normal BMI range today. Weight below in signature line. I'm especially glad because I did not do anything to get here except keep working at becoming a relatively normal eater. I did have a few days over the three months on which I completely lost my appetite and chose not to eat. I would not have purposely done that unless if was for a medical procedure.

Hope I'm not fooling myself that I feel pretty confident that I can keep to this plan, though the stats say I definitely still have a greater-than-fifty-percent chance of relapse. I'll take my chances.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:17 pm

Hooray!!! Oolala you are an inspiration to all! This is great news. I'm glad you are celebrating that you are doing this simply by striving to be a normal eater. Long-term habits instead of short-term stints of white knuckle strictness!
"good behavior comes first" :D
Liz

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:29 pm

oolala53 wrote:I met my wish, not goal, of entering the normal BMI range today.
Yea! Good for you!
Please pray for me

Maggie9190

Post by Maggie9190 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi Oolala:

This is great and such good news to share. Thank you!

Just out of curiousity - how do you decide when your next weigh-in day will be? It doesn't seem to be a certain amount of weeks or months...

Maggie

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi oolala! MANY, MANY CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SUCCESS!!

So exciting! :D :D

CMThib82

Post by CMThib82 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:37 pm

Just read through almost your entire journal. I love your wit and perseverance.

Congrats on the loss!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:55 am

Congratulations! :mrgreen:
Patty

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:10 am

Thanks, all!

I started weighing in last year in conjunction with some attempts at 90 days of No S, 14 minutes and walking. Now I'm going approximately by the start of the seasons. My birthday in Sept is just a bit after that.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:57 am

Wow Oolala, great job on the weight loss...I have a lot of reading to catch up on...

Day 2 for me...my demon to battle is binging at night...but I will win..they say good always wins!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Congratulations, Oolala - that's terrific about reaching your BMI. Well done on your persistence.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:02 pm

Oolala,

Having been here for the recent leg of your journey, I cannot tell you how happy and thrilled I am for you.

:wink:
Berry

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:09 am

Thanks for the comments on my daily check-in as always wise words of wisdom...thanksssss...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:05 am

Made it through today without going to get the cookies I SO wanted to eat (for about 5 minutes) when I found out I was supposed to get students to sign papers when they had their interviews. I found this out AFTER I had class, too, when I could have had them sign instead. So nervous someone will decide to skip the last day before the break because they know I'll be out of the classroom for more testing.

Oh, well.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Congratulations on resisting the cookies when you had every reason to "take care" of yourself with food when you felt nervous.
GREAT JOB!
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:43 am

Thanks, even after two years it still can feel like a feat at times.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:29 pm

I hate when that happens..things we come to realize or know after the fact and can't do a thing about them. It will all work out..

And good job on not eating the cookies....such a hard thing not to do when in the midst of stress.

As always,,,,you are a hero to a lot of us on here and we look forward to what you have to say and your experiences.

Have a great weekend...
deb

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:30 am

I started the day with brownies. Not exactly what I had planned, but it happened. Later I had some shrimp, then later a few snacky foods at an event I went to. I waited to get hungry for dinner- never happened. In fact, I got the queasy feeling again, but this time, I didn't care. I'd been listening to some Geneen Roth stuff. I don't believe in ALWAYS having to wait until I'm hungry to eat, but it made a lot of sense today. When I was driving home from the event (about an hour) I was thinking I would have something just to entertain myself while passing the time. Funny, I rarely feel bored, but I thought, what's up, girl, can't tolerate a little boredom? Is it really that bad? The thoughts went away and I had forgotten about it by the time I got home.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:32 am

Hi there...what is the queasy feeling from not eating or after eating? Sounds like your day went well. Event are hard for me..but something I'll need to work on..I have a couple of her books, maybe I can dust them off and keep at working on the emotional stuff..and dealing with boredom in the evenings. Food is definitely not the only source of pleasure in life :).

Have a great Sunday.
Thanks for stopping by,
deb

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:05 pm

Oolala
I think you are in a great place. I think you are just really tired of how ineffective eating is for the unconscious (and entirely human) purpose it had for you (and most other overeaters). That is such a high place! It undercuts so much of the romanticizing of being able to eat too much and of the vilifying of it, too. It's not wonderful or terrible. It's just what one of my ex-boyfriends would call unproductive and unnecessary suffering. But it's hard to impose the knowledge on yourself. When it comes from within, it's powerful.
Thanks for this...it so hits where I'm at.

I had another successful S day again...

I had my candy bar right after lunch...and my dinner was 4 olives/with the garlic clove, 2 wasa with swiss cheese, and a slice of goat cheese.. Not sure that will tide me over for the night..we'll see.

Glad the queasiness was nothing to worry about.

Wow, did you learn to cook a lot of the foods as well?

That urge to eat still is kind of strong, but I signed up for a 17 miles bike ride with my friend in early June, so if I want to be able to ride I have to give up the binging ;)

Have a great week..
deb

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi! Just wondering how you've been doing... still doing the challenge? I get queezy when I eat bad foods. I'm usually feeling that every weekend. Duh, huh?

:D Keep going!
Please pray for me

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:58 pm

Thanks so much for your comment..I figured people would slam dunk me for saying I need to tame my S days. I just can't give in to the food like that...it is like a green light to binge and binging is what I'm trying to be set free from. I think binging is quite different from just not eating right or just too much.

I know he probably had some demons to fight with drinking..but drinking, smoking, drugs etc. you don't have to pick up..food we have to eat.

When I hopped on here tonight I was so fighting the urge to eat, eat, and eat. I ate my dinner and I"m kind of full so that urge really makes me angry..I just hope for it to go away..years of dealing with it has caused me to end up where I am...

It is like telling a naturally thin person you use food or binge, they look at you like they can't possibly understand..why would someone do that they think.

Others on here said it will stop over time, the S days gone wild..but they only got worse for me and when Monday's came around I didn't want to fight the urge anymore and just stopped.

Going back to spark did not help bring it back under control,,,maybe a day or two of normal eating..

Sick of it..really truly I am.

But thanks for being there for a lot of us..

Sorry for such a long note.
deb

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:40 am

My first day off work, so didn't have it to shape my day. It went fine, though. I shopped this morning for a dress for a wedding I'm going to in New Orleans in May. Found a good one, I think, at Goodwill! I'll need to look for some kind of sheer drape, but I think I can find it. It's an evening wedding in the New Orleans Museum of Art. I'm sure it will be air conditioned, but long sleeves just sounded too hot. (I looked up the average temperature in May.)

Anyway, doing fine.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi OHLALA glad to see younger doing all, and really happy to see your continuing weightloss!!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:56 am

Did okay, though I felt a little off today and also had a little bit of a weird lunch because I had a tooth filled unexpectedly and my mouth was still a bit numb when I decided not to wait anymore and have lunch. I wasn't very hungry for dinner, but went ahead, eating light. It always makes me feel weird when I'm not really hungry for my meals. Funny, though, I still did enjoy what I did have if I had been more hungry, though not like I would have. However, I opt for habit at this point.
Last edited by oolala53 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Oolala, I read with great interest all of your book suggestions for ZippaDee...in fact I just ordered But I deserve this chocolate and 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food! They both sound extremely helpful. I have had such great success using The Beck Diet Solution in conjunction with NoS (not calorie counting either, but I do plan meals to include food that I love, and cook from favorite or even new recipes - and not out of a "diet" cookbook!) from your recommendation. I look forward to these new books to continue working on putting my eating problems far behind me.
Thanks so much for your input - and don't be embarrassed about knowing so much about this "other literature." As you said, they can all be very helpful for us on our journey, but NoS is the lynchpin!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:32 pm

Nice job adapting to a real-life situation of getting your tooth filled (yikes I hate that!). Glad you stuck to building habit. Lately I don't feel hungry for breakfast, but eat because I know that it would set me up for being UBER hungry for lunch.
Good habits keeping our conscious mind not having to do too much work!
Good on ya!
Liz

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Hi Oolala, thanks for the note on my thread...unfortunately and silly I can't even give my purse away..either I have poor taste or everyone is losing out....

My DH is pretty quiet about stuff today..but I'll be sure to use some of your suggestions, like no hon, not hungry right now, etc. etc.

Thankssssssss a lot!
deb

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:46 am

I'm done eating for the day. Have had some pain from the filling yesterday. The dentist warned me. However, it's not exacerbated by chewing!

Still haven't done my exercise but I will.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:33 am

Hope you're feeling better soon, oolala! I'm going to be coming out in sympathy with you soon....I've been told by the dentist I have to get a tooth taken out, (aargh!!)

Perhaps I might lose a few lbs from not eating! :D :roll: :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:01 am

Well, I have to go back in to the dentist on Monday for him to check because I've been having a lot of pain. He might have to do a root canal on it. I pick up the antibiotic tomorrow. This is my second one this year, I think, so I might be paying out some change. Oh, well. At least I'm sticking to my plan. I did get my 14 minutes in, too, but no walking despite that I had ALL DAY free.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:15 am

Hi Oolala, ya the lovely root canals...they really don't hurt to have them done, it is the time it takes and the cost..well for me anyway.

Ya know the 14 minutes you are doing is working for you, are you doing the shovelglove? With my back not sure I could do that..but maybe I can try a lighter object..any suggestions?

Have a great day..hope your tooth is fixed soon.

I had a root that was on an extreme angle, had to go back a couple times...but the tooth was saved...the object of having done :)

deb

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:45 pm

Unfortunately, I've had a lot of root canals. Not eating as many sweets has apparently not improved things. The dentist thinks I must have very acidic saliva, since the cavity is in a front tooth (bottom), very rare. They don't even x-ray the front teeth annually. Too bad for me, as they would have caught this, but those are the odds. But x-rays should be given cautiously. I'm not scared of the pain. I'm just bummed that I'm still getting cavities and it scares me thinking about what it will be like when I'm retired and don't have dental insurance or much income. But that is just my overactive imagination.

I do have weights, from velcro wrap-on 1.5 lb.-ers up to 20 lbs. (that last one lives outside. I don't bother with it yet.) I've learned so many exercises over the years that I just do a jumble of them for 14 minutes, trying to remember to do different ones on different days. A fair number of them come from a video called I Want That Body or a book called Escape Your Shape. Ala the call for simplicity, I try not to worry about it much. It just doesn't seem Everyday Systems-ish to have a list of 40 exercises that I keep track of. Some are for arms with the weights, some are body weight exercises like the plank, I do a lot of versions of squats and lunges, I do Pilates and Callanetics type exercises (usually on "lighter" days in between heavier days) and yoga, if it's a series of poses, so I'm moving, etc. Just like Reinhard would not buy weights, I won't buy a sledgehammer when I have all I have. I kind of wing it, though on Fridays, I tend to do long holds, like 45-90 seconds of a wall sit, or a handstand prep move where you put your feet on a wall and your hands on the floor and make an L with your body. I tend to keep the movements vigorous and don't rest in between, though I do throw in some stomach exercises and they are a bit like rest. I do mimc some of the Shovelglove moves using my weights, and kettlebell moves, too. I can't see myself doing the same moves every day.

I think any vigorous movements that don't cause injury are fine, but for me, they've got to be tougher than a brisk walk. Sparkpeople has tons of this stuff as does youtube.

You didn't think you were going to get a short answer, did you?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:11 am

you are funny...enjoy your comments.

you know my poor daughter has very soft teeth. she is 27 now and still has cavities every time she goes..soft teeth and too much acid as you were saying. when i took her for her braces many moons ago, she had like 15+ cavities between her teeth that needed filling first and that is with going once a year...if not more. can you get a fluoride treatment? might help.

sounds like you work harder than me in those 14 minutes..i should do that instead of walking/elliptical...

i know you were hanging at a certain number a long time and when i came back i see you lost a lot of weight, is it mostly due to your exercise?

i have 2 weeks of green..i have been eating dinner later which helps with curtail the urge to binge...

i hope your tooth pain goes away by monday...

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:40 am

Hear what you're saying about teeth, Oolala! Been there, done that! My dentist recommended three fairly simple things for me to help prevent cavities and also because I have a more acidic saliva:
1. brush once a day, or more, with plain baking soda and water (neutralizes acid)
2. chew Ice Cubes sugarless gum for at least 5 minutes after eating (it contains xyllitol which research has shown reduces cavities - other sugarless gums do not have this ingredient)
3. Use GC MI Paste Plus - he gives me this, although you can purchase it. It's a topical toothpaste you put on your teeth and leave for 5 minutes - contains calcium phosphate and flouride. Builds up tooth enamel and prevents decay and erosion.
I have maintained my present mouth situation for quite a while using these suggestions.

There's no worse pain than tooth pain. I hope yours is resolved soon and preferably without a root canal.

Mimi
:D

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:49 pm

Ouch tooth pain is the worst :( Hope you feel better soon!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:57 am

status on tooth pain?

thanks again for sharing how you came to lose the recent weight. and your job surely sounds to take up a lot of your free time..not sure i would like that much. being a project manager there are seasons so to say that we have to put in some long hours.

saturday wasn't really a good food day for me with the junk i ate, but had to decent meals...and did not get stuffed so that is good..

for april i want to have all green for exercise, with 2 months away for my bike trek..want to keep moving :)

feel better....hope you can find some you time and feel good about it.

i too don't have friends i hang with, just my best friend of over 35 years that we get together and communicate regularly..

we laughed as thru divorces and seasons..we know each other better than our husbands know us...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:07 am

If you look at what I ate yesterday, it was fine, but I didn't feel good for most of the day. Had tha kind of guckiny feeling of being too full, even thought I hadn't actually eaten very much. Just more than I needed, I guess. Stayed in a hotel and ended up buying a can of soup and a head of iceberg lettuce for dinner. Isn't that weird? But soup just kept going through my mind and that lettuce is one of my weirdest craving foods. I think of it almost like junk food because I know it has little nutritional value but I love the crunch and the juiciness. I like the chewing, too, but because it collapses so much, I don't feel too full. I finally woke up today feeling that nice relatively empty feeling. Thankfully, the hotel didn't have a lot of junky stuff and I felt good after breakfast, too. In fact, I felt pretty good all day. Had one more mini mint chip ice cream sandwich than I had planned. That is the nature of sweets. Three bites of one of them is like 9 of an apple. But it's small potatoes, no pun intended.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:22 am

RE: tooth pain. Well, it has not dissipated as much as I would have liked since I will be getting it worked on tomorrow. The last time I had to get work done when my nerve was still inflamed, it was the only time a root canal procedure hurt, and it was pretty bad. I nearly grabbed the dentist's you know whats just to make thing even. However, it only hurts when I eat or when I tap on the tooth. If all goes well, the worst of it will be over in 24 hours.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:51 am

First thanks so much about the wheat thing...I think for now I'll just cut out white flour, which I already pretty much did like white pasta, rice, etc. have down that over the years..but of course if I want cake that is okay then ..

I did like your take on everyone has an opinion even doctors that write a lot of these books.

Went to my DH's nieces house yesterday...she had snacks out, crackers which I avoided but had the cheese and hard boiled eggs as well as the chili, but no bread butter..I felt good about it and didn't miss it....didn't realize that I still eat a lot of the white stuff..so working on that.

My weekend wasn't really structured much and ate a lot of junk food, like popcorn, chips, candy..

Today is a new week, so I hope to not let my weekend impact me..

I think I need more structure, like eating 3 planned or at least semi planned meals and allow the other stuff as well.

Good luck at the dentist today!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:05 am

Good news about my tooth. The dentist found that it doesn't look like I need a root canal treatment. My bite was making it hard for the gums and nerve to heal because the tooth in question kept getting hit when I chewed. He very slightly filed down the teeth in question. I'll check back with him when I've finished the antibiotic series.

Had half a burrito for lunch and never got hungry again, but went ahead and had a light dinner at 8 p.m. It bothers me that I can't just let food go when I'm not hungry and/or that I don't get hungry for my three meals if I eat anything the slightest bit rich.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Selina

Post by Selina » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:27 am

oolala53 wrote: Had half a burrito for lunch and never got hungry again, but went ahead and had a light dinner at 8 p.m. It bothers me that I can't just let food go when I'm not hungry and/or that I don't get hungry for my three meals if I eat anything the slightest bit rich.
I know that. I am always baffled by friends of mine who wouldn't eat until 8pm on a hangover- or sick day because they just don't have any appetite. I on the other hand tend to eat regardless of my appetite. I eat because "I normally should have eaten by now" and I would be scared that I will feel the need to stuff myself later if I skip one meal (so I just stuff myself in advance.. haha!)
But that's a detail, I think. Your focus can better be somewhere else, where the real excess takes place. Maybe time will solve this problem.. when food in general becomes less emotionally loaded you will be able to refrain from eating without appetite. Because someday food will just be food. Or at least that's what I hope will happen if we stick to this journey long enough.
Good luck!
start where you are. use what you have. do what you can.
- arthur ashe

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:04 pm

Well, I've been at it over two years. I guess this is why the recidivism rate for weight gain remains so high even this far in. Three more years and the relapse rate is still 25%. We keep wanting the war to be over. But in reality the big battles are over. I just can't let any of these skirmishes escalate.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:15 pm

Just had a fail. About 1.5 cups of high fiber cereal. I was considering making it a crash-the-car fail, but thought of having to report how many mini mint ice cream cookies I ate. NONE.

Too much worrying about the right place to stay in New Orleans when I go for a wedding in May. I'm used to getting away with 50 bucks a night at Motel 6's. All the cheap ($110 a night) rooms the couple had gotten several hotels to set aside were booked when I went to reserve rooms last night-- and the wedding isn't until May 12! I already paid 400 bucks for my flight and am staying 4 nights. I surveyed "cheap" and yes, I know, for New Orleans, they are cheap, B & B's and am down to 2. It's a lot of dough for one long weekend. I haven't even bought the gift yet. At least I found my dress at Goodwill!

I also wanted to attend a weekend symposium later this month here in San Diego and didn't know there was a $355 charge! But I went ahead and registered for it. It's only money. This then brings up how real estate has been such a terrible deal for me. Oh, I've got to stop going over it. Not even God can change the past. (Agathon, poet, via Aristotle) I just have to go forward.

Also stressing because I have still not go to ANY of the paperwork for school I was going to work on two hours a day over this holiday. more than a week gone by and the most I've done is rearrange a few stacks. I see at times that I am dealing with this much like I did weight loss for years. Dreaming about doing the right thing and then not doing it. Freaking out over my lazy ways. Oh, my, one door to dismay closes, another one opens. Hmmm....
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:12 pm

oolala53 wrote:Just had a fail. About 1.5 cups of high fiber cereal. I was considering making it a crash-the-car fail, but thought of having to report how many mini mint ice cream cookies I ate. NONE.

Also stressing because I have still not go to ANY of the paperwork for school I was going to work on two hours a day over this holiday. more than a week gone by and the most I've done is rearrange a few stacks. I see at times that I am dealing with this much like I did weight loss for years. Dreaming about doing the right thing and then not doing it. Freaking out over my lazy ways. Oh, my, one door to dismay closes, another one opens. Hmmm....
Good job in keeping a potential car wreck to just a dented fender...it can be repaired easily, Oolala.

And just to make you feel better...according to the dictionary, a holiday is defined as "any day of exemption from work; a time or period of exemption from any requirement, duty, assessment, etc." So, enjoy your time off - the papers will be there when you go back. By the way, I left mine at school so I wouldn't feel guilty about not grading them while I was off on Spring Break. I work almost every evening during the school year grading papers from the time the supper table is cleared until bedtime. That's enough!

Mimi :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:36 pm

That is not an option for me. Grades are due two days after we get back and I have several assignments that I am late on grading-- essays that take time to read, essays that students turned in more than a month BEFORE the break. These are seniors 6 weeks from graduation. I have already had two parent conferences on this problem. Please don't try to let me off the hook! It will only make things worse, but I appreciate the sentiment. Getting some work done each day will be like my eating three times a day: reasonable and moderate, and fair, given how much I have already procrastinated.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:13 am

Seems like the cereal was a stress reliever for you..sorry it had to make it red for you...glad to see you did not have to report on the other things :)

It will all work out, as things always do right.

Have a great day!

How did you make out with your tooth?

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:22 am

I've thought of something..what about hiring a high school student, or a friend to help grade? If there is a scale to grading why not? Being a teacher definitely brings with it work outside of work.

But if I were you and I could find a dependable person, why not? There has to be local schools that their are inspiring teachers in the making..I would have loved to grade for you, I just love paper :)

You have been doing fantastic..the stress with work, and dealing with food at the same time can be difficult. So what you had a bad food day, right...how many good food days did you have, A LOT... Today is a new day....

Glad you were able to save the tooth.....

Talk to you soon...getting ready for work!

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:28 am

Oolala,
I just read your post about the paper grader over on NoSnacker's thread. Thought I'd post to you here. Just want to let you know that I am rootin' for you today. I've found that when I get like this it's just a matter of taking that first step. Once I get into it I'm so much better. It's the dread of doing it that is so dibilitating. Just sit down with your mocha and pen and do the first paper.

"little by little, inch by inch, by the yard it's hard, by the inch what a cinch"

GOOD LUCK!

Diets Don't Work.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks for the cheering section! I really do appreciate it.

I have at times hired people to help, but invariably, there are problems. I'm not even organized enough to have someone be able to do much for me. The last time, I ended up having to redo work that I had paid her to do because she rebatched papers I had already sorted but that the kids had not dated. Oh, it's too complicated to explain.I do have the kids grade the easy stuff where there objective answers. The most time-consuming work is reading the papers and I can't farm that out. I tried it, too. Plus... oh, I won't go on, it's too discouraging. I still have several HUNDRED papers to sort-- literally, there is a stack 10 inches high-, but I did some of it on the weekend. so I think I'll look for those first and start the process there, as ZippaDee suggested.

I need to whine less and work more. :)

I also need to report here that I failed again later in the day yesterday with more cereal--handfuls out of the bag because there was no milk-- , a ball of biscuit with sugar dough, and some cocoa powder with sugar. Leave that to your imagination, but if you are a binger, you know things can get weird. It was better than going out and buying a can of frosting, which was one of my old M. O.'s.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Paper Grading

Post by TexArk » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:22 pm

I really understand the paper grading issue. I retired from teaching after 40 years in order to take care of elderly parents. My husband is a university professor who teaches mostly composition courses. We have both commented that in our next life we will become Scantron teachers or teach a subject where we could hire paper graders. Unfortunately English teachers cannot grade and mark a writing assignment with an answer key or a scantron! I swear sometimes I thought I spent more time grading a paper than the student spent writing it. My husband actually sets a timer for 20 minutes per paper. Multiply that times all the student papers you have and you can see how it eats up your life!

And this does relate to food and weight problems. I had to really work hard to find something else to do in between papers to reward myself with something besides a sweet I thought I deserved.

The family joke: "I teach for free. They pay me to grade papers."

Hang in there.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:32 pm

I'll be lucky if I make it to 15 years in the teachers' retirement system in California. I didn't get into the system until 1999, when I was 46 years old. And now that I have become a teacher, my social security is cut, so I am really stuck. But I just can't imagine doing this much longer than that. Maybe to 16 years, when I'll be 62. I may have to retire in the Third World. Parents are gone, no husband, no children.

Nowadays, I think teachers in California with 35 years in can clear about the same amount of money retired as they can working because of the tax structure. But that is moot for me!

Thanks for understanding about the papers. It does help for others to know, just like the food issues.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:48 am

A much better day, though not much hunger. I ate anyway, but mostly kept the meals either smaller or lighter. It was plenty of food. I got in my 14 minutes and took a short walk in the evening.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:43 am

Glad yesterday was better for you!! :D I hope you have another good day today and can put a bigger dent in that 10 inch stack!

Diets Don't Work.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:14 pm

You know, the issue with sweets for me is so paradoxical. I don't want them when I'm actually hungry; I want savory food. Then when I have the chance to have them, now that I eat less, it almost seems a waste to have them when I'm satisfied from a meal. But I still want to have the pleasure of eating them. So when is the right time to have any? It's almost as if the idea of them is becoming more important than the actual experience...but not quite yet. Maybe the infatuation is almost over? Because it's clear it was never love.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:41 pm

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:42 am

A good day with food. got my workout in and an extra walk.

I got work done and am willing to do more. I also sat down to try arrange my videos. I was going to do it for just 15 minutes. I have only a few movies, but I found I have 23 fitness DVDs and 28 fitness videocassettes. And I have Debbie Siebers Slim in Six checked out from the library. AND today I just ordered a book of 10-minute workouts. The good news is I think I got most of them at yard sales and such. I also have free weights up to 20 lbs. but most of them I do use. But I think I spent more on all this than I would have on a sledgehammer...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:01 am

yes you did spend more, but ahhh so much fun ahead of you..why not challenge yourself to do a new one each day for the minutes you planned to workout..talk about variety..

oh, wait i have one set, richard simmons!! maybe i'll dust the old boy off and dance a bit :)

enjoy your collection..

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:41 pm

how funny I have a smaller collection. Was looking at my old tae Bo DVDs and remembered that Billys nipple was sticking out in one and decided not to. Any excuse not to exercise!!!!!

SophiaLara

Post by SophiaLara » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:50 am

Hi Oolala,

I have quite a collection of fitness DVDs and a few VHSs. Everything from weight training, yoga, and aerobic dancing, to ballet, step, Pilates, and Xtend. I have plenty of equipment hidden behind my couch, too: free weights (2, 3, 5, 7, 8 pounds and an adjustable set), a magic circle, a big ball and a small ball, foam roller, mats, etc. It's amazing what one can fit in such a tiny house and manage to keep it all pretty well out-of-sight!

Do I use any of this stuff? Well, yes and no. There are times when I just don't want to go to the gym (yes, I have a gym membership, too) or Pilates class, and then I get out my home gym. It's nice because everything's available on my time and at my whim.

I've been reading the journals here. It seems like some people are really struggling with the No So Diet. I've had a few good days and a few bad, but I'm reading the book now and I really like the sections that speak about habit and failure. Reinhard is really brilliant! This is such a sensible approach to eating.

I did binge tonight, but I did not go to the store to buy my favorite binge foods. I love this: "Self-revenge is really a kind of self-indulgence." That one saying is key for me because that's just what I do: I take revenge on myself for binging.

Well, good night for now. Thank you for posting on these boards. I always find some thoughtful insight in your writing.

Lara

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:23 am

Thank you, Lara!

I had lunch out today and felt quite full and satisfied. When it was time to go to a birthday get together at a bar, I wasn't a bit hungry for dinner. At the bar, I finally did get hungry, and ordered a hamburger and fries, something I rarely get. I ate half the burger and ate the fries slowly, judging after each one if I'd had enough. Gosh, they were good! I had about half of them, too. I felt so lucky to be able to enjoy my lunch and dinner, and not overdo it, either, but without feeling like I was holding back.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:34 am

hello there...sounds like a yummy dinner and so smart to watch how much you ate..as we all know fullness can come fast...well be stuffed i should say.

we made the most awesome fish tacos last night, at first i thought will one be enough, but it was as my sides were a serving of baked chips and my dessert goat cheese...

have a wonderful weekend..

i do have a birthday party today at 2:00, pizza and wings will be there...and cake..so will need to eat breakfast a little later as I don't want to go there starving and eat well over fullness.

deb

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:58 pm

Isn't it great you can go out to lunch and dinner and be "normal"? And not order a special meal...then go to your car and eat "for reals" (my experiences).
Way to go. I LOVE a good fry...in moderation!
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Oh, yeah, I put the leftovers in the car early. When I went to leave, I thought of how often I had eaten the leftovers on the way home, but I thought, "That's not me now." Just to be safe. And they're in the fridge now. Not appealing to many, I know, but I will enjoy them heated, though I may throw out the bun. I don't eat beef often and don't want to waste the cow's having been slaughtered for me.

Deb, what's interesting is that I will likely pick and eat to more discomfort if I don't go to the party hungry. Even before No S, true hunger did not induce me to overeat. In fact, I get satisfied faster when I'm really, really hungry. I think it's because I'm so aware of the difference in feeling after 5 or 6 bites. I don't stop there, but it's so obvious to me then that I am getting what I need. It doesn't make me feel I need more. I suspect that many people who overeat would find something similar if they didn't let their mind tell them that they need more because they're hungry and if they forced themselves to slow down. Besides, I know I've got more and I'm usually sitting on it. I've noticed that thin people don't necessarily eat a lot more when they say they're hungry, though they do eat pretty darn fast. But they're more used to their internal cues stopping them, so they can afford speed.

Hmm, I already ate a cookie and a piece of chocolate today when I had said I was going to be more purposeful in eating sweets. Gosh, they were good, though. I was almost ready to tuck into the mini-ice cream sandiwches because I'd already started, but thought of you, Deb! How you keep saying that all the overeating you've done and it hasn't done you any good. I knew I wouldn't enjoy them enough to make up for regretting eating them, since they certainly weren't going to make me feel more pleasant at 8:30 a.m.! I"m trying to think in terms of eating things I know I will enjoy in the moment and will likely make me feel MORE pleasant for a few hours afterwards. I know I can do that only if I eat even more lightly at the meal beforehand.

Actually, I remembered that I am supposed to attend a get-together where there will be sweets this afternoon, though they are often not ones I prefer. I think I'll take some cookies I like to share and have a few in good company-- after a light but delicious lunch.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi oolala

I'm stopping by to say that I love your "I don't count calories. I count plates" signature!

And tooth pain sucks, I hope you feel better.

Lori
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:46 am

Well, I ate more than I expected to. Oh, well.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:13 am

Same thing over here. Like waaaayyyy more. I feel sick!
Let's have an enjoyable Sunday though!!
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Well, I feel a bit cautious to say this because I've made so many claims to myself that I haven't followed through on. However, I just wrote to NoSnacker about how I was a couple of years back that I had to choose not to eat when it was hard to, not just when it was easy. I didn't say it there, but I realize now that it was not only because I didn't actually have a lot of inner reserves for a long time, but also that I had been convinced that choosing not to eat when I wanted to was too much like traditional dieting and I knew what a failure that was for most people in the long run. It is rather paradoxical. If you want to lose weight, you do have to eat less, but how do you eat less without tripping the overeating wire? It's been shown that people often lose, though don't necessarily get skinny, when they concentrate on more healthy habits. And moderation, just eating less of everything and limiting the worst culprits is a pretty good habit.

Well, that was a long-winded intro to my thoughts on today. I'm thinking I might be ready for a close-to-N day S day. I haven't tried that. Sounds nuts after 27 months, but no matter how full I felt from too much eating on Saturday, or how much I looked back at previous "full" S days, I still always felt a sense of screeching halt when I imagined trying to have an S day with just one snack or sweet or one of each. Or any mod that limited that sense of being able to freely eat, except in October working up through December waiting longer and longer between eating events until I might eat only twice in a day, though some of the food would be very rich or sweet. But today, that sounds worse than moderate meals and a dessert somewhere along the way.

So, though I'm not very hungry, I'm off for my optimized oatmeal. Something hot sounds good. Not sure what I'll have for lunch or when as I have to usher tonight and we have to be there so goll-darned early. We do always have a long (to me, stupid) break after the meeting with the house manager. Maybe I'll bring something with me so that I don't have to eat so early. Or maybe I'll splurge and get something to eat at the theater snack bar. They do have some items that aren't just junk, though probably not better than I can do. We'll see.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Have an enjoyable day.
I, like you, don't feel like breakfast, but will go make my "optimized oats" too because I'm focusing on moderation, good habits, and steadiness.
I don't want to leave for church hungry and then when handed some jelly beans....having at it.

Your mod sounds good. Good luck with that.

"And moderation, just eating less of everything and limiting the worst culprits is a pretty good habit."
This is great thought and so SOUND. My husband has weight to lose and basically said last night, "I just have awful habits!". We don't talk about it lots (I know how I'd be if someone said I needed to lose weight), but I discussed with him that it WON'T be easy to erase the quick convenience of a feast/famine surgeon lifestyle. He starves/binges constantly. But the nice thing is: it doesn't mess with his head, only his waistline.

Well that's neither here nor there. Enjoy your usher-ing tonight. I hope you get a good meal in.

Happy Easter, Passover, or weekend!
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Okay,, and this IS The LAST POST FOR AT LEAST TWO HOURS (Doesn't this sound like something else? Last cookie for today? Last piece of chocolate for my entire life?)

In the spirit of all the confessions, here is what I ate yesterday.

Fiber One cereal with whole milk and flaxseed meal around 8 am.

Cup of coffee with a lot of milk, cocoa powder and some stevia, maybe a spoonful of sugar. I do the real sugar sometimes on weekends.

Over the course of the day, an entire package of a Jello Temptations (oh, they are) made with about a cup less milk than called for, most of it before 1:30 pm.

A few handfuls of snacky crispy things , one half of an oatmeal cookie, and six candy-shell covered malt balls, all at a get together around 3:45 pm.

A 3-inch square of fried fish from a supermarket deli and a thick slice of turkey meatloaf, also from that deli between 6:45 and 8 pm.

A big spoon of sugar. You freaks understand. Come on, you know what I'm talking about and I love you all.

Here's the thing. I started in on the pudding mid-morning and never felt hungry again for the rest of the day. So I had that kind of binge feeling all day, but dammit, that was not a real binge. And really when I ballpark calorie count, I bet I ate less than 2000 calories the whole day. Probably closer to 1700. Even if I'm lying to myself, MAYBE 2400. But I doubt it.

What this means to me is two years of N days has gotten me (actually, it was pretty much very early on) to the point where I have to eat A LOT less on S days than I think I need or want if I want to feel comfortable. Not to save calories, but to get that light and lovely N day feeling. Almost less food than some people would eat ON A DIET. No wonder it's been hard for me (and some other people I know) to feel that S days are still not in the control that I would like. After 30 years of my friend food, I still miss him/her when we don't get to frolic like we used to! I'm not being bad. I'm just still not quite accepting how little food I really need.

This I believe is why intuitive eating is so hard. Because in reality, we only physically need ABOUT the amount of food we would be allowed on a moderate calorie diet to feel satisfied. And some days the amount we would get on a low calorie diet is actually physically plenty, but it just isn't, God help us, enough emotionally, mentally, culturally etc.., as we would like. It's just taking a long, long time for me to get that my moments-- and therefore, my life, because what really IS my life but these moments?- are good enough just as they are not to need that extra boost of food.

I notice that even on my N days these days, I don't need as much food as I used to, but I keep serving myself about the same amount.

And I forgive myself. And you, any lovely readers out there, should, too.

And I know I am slowly going to keep letting go of food and getting in touch with whatever it is I need to replace it.

Or not.

And that has GOT to be okay for now.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

SophiaLara

Post by SophiaLara » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:50 pm

Interesting post, Oolala. I love it that you need less food now that you're at a healthy and desirable weight, you're recognizing that fact and working with it. I was there once and can relate completely to what you're saying.

I notice that when I don't snack between meals, even though I'm very hungry, "my eyes are bigger than my stomach" and I serve myself too much food. Of course, I eat it all, for fear that I'll get hungry again too soon! That's pretty funny, or sad, I guess! I need to realize that my stomach is shrinking and I need much less food than I think I need.

I love your honesty about eating a spoonful of sugar! I've done the same thing many times, and would like to not have to admit it! But, being honest is good, especially here where others will relate (I hope!).

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:08 am

A brilliant post! Don't have time to comment on all that I want to, but I love your honesty and you nailed something about seeing the overall progress you have made over these past few years. Inspiring to alL!
Liz

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:35 am

Very well said! I read it twice. Thanks!
I have to eat A LOT less on S days than I think I need or want if I want to feel comfortable. Not to save calories, but to get that light and lovely N day feeling.
I love this feeling. I find myself looking forward to N Days after S Days so that I can feel comfortable again. Hopefully I will start allowing myself less on S Days too so that I can have the same feeling on the weekends. I have noticed myself putting less food on my plate than I was at the beginning and I am still satisfied.

Diets Don't Work.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:25 pm

GREAT POST, OOLALA!!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:01 pm

What are jello temptations? I bet I have done the sugar thing, but I know for sure I have done that with honey...love honey!!

Yes definitely feel like during the week the tummy fills up faster...a nice feeling!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:55 am

Thanks for the info on the jello..noticed on our April challenge how you have been putting in some 1 minute exercise..that sounds wonderful.

I know for me, once I start exercising it turns into wanting to do if from having to do it. I have been walking for about 20+ years, a lot more years ago, but the heat and cold weather doesn't sit well with me, so mostly spring and fall are my favorite times. Started all by joining some fellow co-workers and I was hooked!

How did you make out on your paper grading?

Have a great Tuesday!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Ooolala, I love your confessions. It reminds me of when I wrote down some snacks one day and totalled it up. I was shocked. I think I'll go find that and bump it up on my "daily". I know it was a huge eye opener for me!
Please pray for me

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:19 pm

Oh my goodness is it really "nip it in the bud"? All these years I have been saying "nip it in the butt"? Glad to have an English teacher keeping us in line :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:39 pm

Well, it's funny how both metaphors work but for different reasons.
(TX for being so gracious about it.)

This has nothing to do with No S, but znother one I had interesting discussions about with friends was over "buck naked." Many people think it's "butt naked;" who knows, at some point, it might be. Language usage does change. Just like saying "based off" instead of what it's been my whole life up to now: "based on." "I could care less" replacing "I couldn't care less." Etc.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23