Jayhawk28's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jayhawk28

Jayhawk28's Daily Check In

Post by Jayhawk28 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Hello,

I started No S on October 6th. Today is my first weigh in. I weighed 226 pounds this morning. I'm a 5'10, 32 year old male. My goal weight is 165. I'm going to patient on obtaining that goal. In the past I've picked very strict and difficult plans like Atkins or Body For Life. They work, but they are sometimes difficult to adhere to. No S is not difficult to stick to and I'm looking foward to losing weight without the insanity.

10/13 - 227 lbs

Jayhawk28

Post by Jayhawk28 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:09 pm

10/14/2008

I've created 4 habits to track. They are No S, weekday workouts, daily vitamins and no diet soda. I failed on working out and the diet soda yesterday.

I don't want to overload my habits from the beginning, but I really need to quit drinking diet soda - I abuse it. I also need consistent workouts. At this point, it doesn't even matter what it is, but I need to workout everyday.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:30 pm

Hi Jay, you know what?? I have a very similar weight loss goal and am at basically the same place as you right now.
(but I'm only 5'3" hahah)
Good luck and I'll be rooting for you! :)

ps. If you look you can find plenty of studies linking diet soda to overeating and the exact opposite of what you want to accomplish, which is weight loss and being healthy. It's been shown that drinking diet soda and using fake sweetener only *increases* your appetite.. Same way with msg, they are basically very similar chemically.. That's why they put msg on all these snack foods like Doritos.. They want you to eat the whole bag..
Hope you can kick that habit.

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Jayhawk28

10/17 Check In

Post by Jayhawk28 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:05 pm

I'm slipping. I see this every year. As soon as it starts to get a little bit cold, I start overeating and not working out. Yesterday was terrible. I ate 4 meals along with 4 beers. I didn't workout either. I got to get back on track. Luckily, I'm still checking in at 226. A few more days of this, though and I'l be looking at 230 again.

Jayhawk28

Post by Jayhawk28 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:06 pm

I've certainly fallen off the wagon. The last week has been a return to my normal routines.

Last night I thought about a return to South Beach or Atkins. I almost decided to do South Beach when I realized that it simply wouldn't work and in 2 weeks I would feel horrible for blowing another diet.

No S is the way to go and I'm getting back on board.

10/27/08 - 227 pounds

Jayhawk28

Post by Jayhawk28 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:52 pm

10/27/2008 - 227 pounds
10/28/2008 - 228 pounds

Jayhawk28

Post by Jayhawk28 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:52 pm

10/29/08 - 225