habitualrunner's check in for s days

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BeingGreen

habitualrunner's check in for s days

Post by BeingGreen » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:46 am

Great, great S today. Saturdays are my long run day (I run marathons) and so it's so great to be able to feel free enough to eat enough fuel and not feel guilty! I felt energized on my run instead of drained by it.

Breakfast: Grapenuts, whole banana, whole goat's milk, coffee
During run--powerbar and cliff shotblocks
Lunch--homemade viccyssoise; lentil salad, steamed carrots, almond/coconut bar
Went out with DH for a wonderful evening!
Dinner--Ginger/rum cocktail, baked eggs and cream, vegetable stew, bread and butter. Then a chocolate/caramel/salted almond dessert creation at a local bakery and a cappacino!

It really couldn't get much better than today. I never once felt out of control. I'm going to sleep with a clear conscience and a satisfied appetite :D

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:03 pm

Well here it is from the HIGH to the LOW. Yesterday was truly an S day gone wild :oops:

As with last Sunday, everything seems to go reasonably well until after dinner, when I start to have "Last Supper" syndrome. Then I end up feeling stuffed, totally annoyed with myself, and sleeping poorly. This is not a side effect from the No S diet that I expect or want.

Luckily, I've got five N days to mull over my options for a different way to handle next Sunday. I guess I'm considering limiting my S days to just a couple of S day treats like Reinhard suggests in his "S days gone wild" podcast. I apparently I don't handle two unlimited S days very well. I much prefer my "predissapproved" status (Reinhard's term) of N days.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:23 pm

Hey HR,

I was reading somewhere about making marks for S days, like IIII, and then /. I think I would think more about all the goodies if I knew I had to mark them off. Just like a habitcal. Have you listened to S Days Gone wild podcast?

It is hard for me not to abuse freedom, but it is this freedom that is allowing me to grow up.

Resting

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:47 am

Well it's been two great S days in a row! I swear my no Sneaking rule totally saved me tonight after dinner. I had carefully selected and anticipated my s day dessert. But I never seem to be sure exactly how satisfying I'll find any treat--I mean some things don't exactly live up to my imagination (even Valrhona bittersweet chocolate!!). So anyway, I was definitely wanting MORE after dinner and dessert. I just kept reminding myself, "noSneaking: I've had dessert, the kids and DH have had dessert too and they're not roaming around the kitchen eating more treats." It feels so much nicer to be "in the open" about what I'm eating on S days. After the kids went to bed, I enjoyed a milky tea with a little sugar--NO subsitutes to save on calories!! YUM and very satisfying.

I guess it's officially been two months on No S and despite some ups and downs (let's call those learning curves :) ) I am SO pleased with my experience on No S. I haven't weighed myself but I am feeling fit and strong and healthy for my upcoming marathon (not drained and low on energy as at times in the past). I think my attitude about my body has improved because I interpret NoS as an encouragement to fuel my body with a balanced diet and occasional, well deserved, eaten-in-public treats!

Thanks Reinhard and thanks to all you inspirational participants on these boards. I love following your progress.