Jenny's daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jaob

Jenny's daily check in

Post by jaob » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:43 pm

Nov. 9-I start today on a S day, how convenient is that :lol: I have done No S in the past and have decided to come back as "dieting" is going to kill me. My relationship with food/drink has gone from bad to worse. I need to heal this relationship and this plan is the sane way to do it. I need to vow I will give myself credit for success days and move on when a failure pops up. I am going to try to not worry about the number on the scale, but it is important to me. My plan is to "lose 50 by 50". I am already 25 lbs. on my way to losing the 50. So I have 2 1/2 years to lose the other 25 lbs. by my 50th birthday! Totally doable. So today I give myself a SUCCESS just for deciding to get back on the NoS wagon!!

Last edited by jaob on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My times are in Your hands. Psa 31:15

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:39 pm

Jenny...welcome back! Congrats on the 25-lb loss...you'll be at your goal before you know it!

You absolutely deserve a SUCCESS for starting again!!!!

janie
P.S. Love your signature line!
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

jaob

Post by jaob » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:28 am

janie-thanks for the encouragement! I will need it. I usually ditch a plan when things are not going fast enough for me. Thus the reason I have food/drink issues. I will relax in this plan and just know that I have a lifetime to enjoy God's blessings and not to abuse them (food/drink) anymore.

jaob

Post by jaob » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:12 pm

N-day today. I can't believe I can have what everyone else is having tonight for dinner at fellowship. Stuffed potatoes. On LC that would be a big no-no and I would have to explain why I brought my own food. I lift my crazy mind and thoughts up in prayer that I will enjoy this food and the blessing of the night and not focus on feeling guilty.

Yesterday was a SUCCESS just for starting. All day I had planned on having a big bowl of ice cream in the evening. I realized I was going to have it just because I could and really didn't want it so I didn't have it. Yea, me! I did enjoy a couple glasses of wine and pretty much ate what I wanted when I was hungry. I usually eat pretty healthy anyway just always confining myself with "certain" foods to lose weight fast. Lot of good that has done me :oops:

Reminder to self-Do not give up because the loss will be slow!! This is necessary for physical and mental health!

jaob

Post by jaob » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:54 pm

Yesterday-SUCCESS :D I enjoyed my stuffed potato. While I watched everyone squirt diet spray butter flavor stuff and top their potato w/ a bit of salsa, I put REAL butter, sour cream, chili, cheese, gr. onions on mine. I put just what I wanted, enjoyed every bite! I really could have eaten another, but that would have been seconds, right?! I skipped the dessert w/ not much reservation, and did not go to bed hungry. I usually come home and unwind w/ a glass of wine, but skipped it also.

Debating whether today (Veteran's Day)is an S day. I might have some wine (breaking the no snacks guideline) but maybe consider it a YELLOW day. Waiting to hear what other NoS veterans think.

jaob

Post by jaob » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:31 pm

Yesterday-YELLOW day. I did indulge and might have considered it a successful S day but I drank more than what I consider a reasonable amount of wine and for no real reason (party etc.). My eating was okay, had a plateful of terrific food last night, but I was fuller than I needed to be. As someone reminded me yesterday, it will become a learning experience and I will save S treats for REAL S days.

I am looking forward to being on track today. Love being able to plan a meal that I don't have to think "what can I have or not have". Just fix what sounds good!
Last edited by jaob on Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaob

Post by jaob » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:16 pm

Yesterday-SUCCESS-if I consider that 1 1/2 glasses of wine is okay. Can I really keep to glass ceiling daily? We'll see!! I passed up a humungous gooey chocolate chip cookie being served for a birthday celebration. Big success there! I think I'm doing okay virtual plating my dinner. I always have a pretty big salad then vegies and meat. It's hard to believe that what I have been eating in the amount I am eating is going to end in weight loss. But I have realized that consistancy and habit are key. Losing the binge, all or nothing mentality=SUCCESS!!

jaob

Post by jaob » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:45 pm

Thursday-YELLOW-had an extra glass of wine and snuck pieces of dinner before and after dinner!

Yesterday (Friday)-FAILURE-Okay, because I slipped a bit on Thurs. night, on Friday morning I decided I better get STRICT and get this weight off NOW! So, of course I did great with my strictness (M/E) until I got home from school and decided, not so much fun on a Friday and went off the deep end. So I am back to NoS today, but how convenient it's an S day! Easy to decide to come back on an S day! The learning experience in all this is that I didn't really leave NoS, just had some failures and near failures. AND crash dieting has gotten me nowhere in the past and will get me nowhere now!!

All that being said...I am down 1 lb. from when I started last week even with all the yellows and reds. Can't wait to make all this a habit!!

jaob

Post by jaob » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:52 pm

Yesterday-SUCCESS-of course it was an S day, but after a slight veer toward M/E I am happily back to NoS. Ponderings...going to glass ceiling. I will probably do that after the holidays and not stress about it now. I find if I don't stress about it I really don't consume very much. When I get the "I can't have any" idea in my head, is when I usually go overboard. So I will see how getting through the holidays w/ NoS and not stressing about wine consumption goes for me. I will happy to not gain for once!!

jaob

Post by jaob » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:04 pm

I just realized that a YELLOW day means an S day (or exempt day) I meant it to mean that it was an okay day with just a bit of a slip. So I will come up my own term to mean this. How about OKAY in orange. I will not consider it a SUCCESS in the habit forming sense.

jaob

Post by jaob » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:23 pm

Yesterday was nice. I don't feel as if I am going wild on my S days. I snack more, but don't really sit down to a lunchtime meal. I enjoyed a few glasses of wine while cleaning to get ready for family coming for Thanksgiving. I am looking forward to the structure of N days and just hope that I can stick to the 1-2 (or none) glasses of wine! Also hoping that I can get some of the habits down before everyone comes for Thanksgiving, but I have vowed not to stress about it. This will cause me to go overboard then crash diet and so on and so forth!!!

jaob

Post by jaob » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:25 pm

Yesterday-SUCCESS-was a bit hungry when I got home from school, but ate dinner early because of leaving early for BSF. I will need to have a bigger lunch to help get through to dinner. Still having a hard time wrapping my mind around losing weight while NoSing. I feel as if I am eating more and bigger variety and still "cheating" on S days. Prayer for patience!!!

jaob

Post by jaob » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:08 pm

Yesterday-FAILURE-big bowl of sunflower seeds after dinner. Not gonna worry about it because, guess what Jenny...the world will not fall apart if you are 25 lbs. overweight!!! What a revelation. Maybe I should focus on what those who are REALLY starving need!!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Yep, shake it off and build the habits!

I was talking to my son yesterday and he mentioned he doesn't ever recall being hungry. I told him I thought maybe we should do an experiment one day when he doesn't have school and fast until dinner time just to get a feel for what that's like. He know intellectually there really are some people who don't have enough food, but I don't think he groks it, really.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

jaob

Post by jaob » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:47 pm

Thanks for the support Noel! Yep, I have so much food I don't know why I eat as if I will never get to eat again?????????? Let me know how it goes if you and your son do a fast!

That being said...yesterday again was a FAILURE. Don't know what's up except that a friend brought in some coffee cake to share w/ coworkers. First I was just going to look, then just have one taste, then it just went downhill from there. The ol' "well, I might as just have it all since I already blew it" reared it's ugly head.

I'm a bit worried about the next couple of weeks (oops, there I go worrying and it's not my job). Lots of family coming in. Lots of food and drink. It's funny how now that I can have the foods I would like to have and that others are eating I find it restricting in that I can't have AS MUCH as I want. Kinda sad. Relax and let go. Move on.

jaob

Post by jaob » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:30 pm

He-he :lol: welcome back Jenny! Yesterday was a SUCCESS!

jaob

Post by jaob » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Back again! :roll: When will I learn. So I decided AGAIN that I needed to follow a restrictive plan to get the weight off quickly and now I am 10 lbs. heavier than when I had started NoS back in Nov. Here I go again. I am getting too old for this!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday was a SUCCESS if I consider glass ceiling to be my method of wine consumption. I'll see how this weekend goes with glass ceiling!!

jaob

Post by jaob » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:54 pm

Can't believe I found my old check in! Just checking in to explain my the red on my habitcal to stay accountable. Bunco night, had 2 glasses of wine but they were BIG so not really glass ceiling. Actually did okay with the snack and seconds today but at the last minute broke down and had sweets. Oh well! Today will be great!

jaob

Post by jaob » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:38 pm

Can't seem to get to Sept. habitcal to record for yesterday so I will post it here. NoS-green, Oxycise-green, Glass ceiling-red, Walking-green. Today will be great! Not feeling like Oxycising this morning though as I have a cold :cry: