Sophiasapientia's Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:38 pm

Wednesday morning weight: 124

It's a little late but I want to take on Shovelglove as my monthly resolution, starting today. I've been thinking about it for awhile but wanted to make sure that my No S and pedometer-wearing habits were solid first. Also -- and this is going to sound somewhat idiotic :oops: -- I was concerned that Shovelglove would cause me to gain weight. I realize that realistically, it might. (Last summer, when I was doing Shovelglove in conjunction with walking and No S, my weight plateaued at 134. Granted, there were some other factors at play there as well.) But, let's face it, I don't think that adding weight bearing exercise is going to make me fat even if the scale goes up, right? :roll:

One of the main reasons that adding in Shovelglove sounds appealing is that my kiddo will be out of school for the summer in a few days ... which means that she'll be with me all day ... which means that I'll be busy with her and my routine is going to change. :wink: I like Shovelglove because not only is it fun but it is also unobtrusive. I can easily fit 14 minutes in while DD is busy playing on her own or after her bedtime if need be. Also, I recognize that doing an hour of skiwalking may not always be realistic on a daily basis. (For whatever reason, I find going out for 45 minutes to be fine when my family is around but sometimes I feel guilty/like I'm stretching it time-wise if it is much longer than that.) Shovelglove will be a way of balancing things out in the exercise department if my pedometer steps go down a little.

So ... I'll give Shovelglove, on N Days, a try for the next month and see how it goes. I'm not bound to do it indefinitely if it doesn't work out or if I'm not happy with the results. Also, I'm giving myself the caveat that I can be Exempt from Shovelglove if I mow our entire large lawn on a given N day. Moreover, if my compliance with my existing habits becomes a real issue, I'm giving myself the right to drop Shovelglove immediately if need be.

My next monthly resolution will be related to increasing my driving confidence/skill and, before then, I want to spend some quality time thinking about my long term goals and breaking these down into small, managable mini goals. This is my biggest problem outside of the whole weight management issue and I'm determined to make some progress.
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:53 am

Weight has been at 124 for the past few days which is fine by me. :D

I'm enjoying adding in the Shovelglove so far and have shortened my walk by about 15 minutes in exchange. I find that listening to an audiobook that I reserve exclusively for SG makes the time pass very quickly. I'm a big fan of audiobooks in general, though. :wink:

Next week DH is going to be tested for celiac disease. His mom has celiac and, since it tends to run in families, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that he (or DD, I guess) could have it as well. There isn't a lot of use dwelling on it too much now but, if someone in our household does have it, it would mean some significant changes in terms of the dishes I make, any eating out, etc. The kind of cancer MIL has can have links to celiac so we're fully aware that it needs to be taken seriously. Whatever happens, we'll deal with it.

andreamuse

Post by andreamuse » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:59 pm

I think I understand that vanilla is just following the no S by the rules (no sweets, no seconds, no snacking except on S days), but what modifications do you do as a short lady? (from another short lady!).

I feel very inspired by your weight since I'm nearly the same height as you and with the same starting weight...:)

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:39 pm

andreamuse wrote:I think I understand that vanilla is just following the no S by the rules (no sweets, no seconds, no snacking except on S days), but what modifications do you do as a short lady? (from another short lady!).

I feel very inspired by your weight since I'm nearly the same height as you and with the same starting weight...:)
Hi there! My mods are that I tend to keep my breakfast and lunch somewhat light and that I use a 9" inch plate, for dinner, when we eat at home. These are mods I adopted over time because a.) I reached a plateau and b.) I eventually found that my body honestly needed less food. :wink:

However, it sounds like you are doing great :D and I wouldn't worry about mods at all at this point. You may not need them and I think Reinhard's advice to focus on compliance when starting out is very wise. :wink: :D

andreamuse

Post by andreamuse » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:20 pm

Actually that's really good to know for later, so thanks!! :) You're right -- I'm going to just keep doing what I'm doing for some time to get used to compliance! Like I said to oohlala somewhere else, I will worry about specific food choices I'm making later once this is a real habit for me! :)

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Weight was 123.2 this morning. So far Shovelglove doesn't appear to be causing a gain. I'm having a flare up of a chronic pain issue, though, and am not sure if it is related to SG or not since I've had a S weekend SG break for the past 2 days anyway. Will be taking a "wait & see" attitude. I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep it in my routine.

Tomorrow I'll be transitioning into doing my "bread and butter" exercise before the family gets up. Realistically this will mean going to bed and getting up an hour earlier which may be an adjustment.

Here's an updated graph of my progress. It doesn't show the first 6.5 lbs I lost earlier in January, before I started keeping track. I showed it to my DH and he said it looks like a "bad stock." :lol:

andreamuse

Post by andreamuse » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:54 pm

Wow, that graph looks terrific!

I'm really inspired by your progress, as I've said before, since we're similar heights and starting weights.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks! :D Keeping the chart has been very helpful for me. It has been eye opening to see the patterns and fluctuations and has given me a better sense of how my body functions. :idea:

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Yesterday my family spent the day at an amusement park and I had a planned NWS. We had a great time going on rides and hanging out together. 8) I didn't wear my pedometer but got a decent amount of walking in at the park. Nothing completely over the top in terms of eating. Meals were a little bigger than usual and I shared a soft pretzel with DD and DH, had a handful of Goldfish crackers on the ride home and my family shared a slice of Coca Cola cake w/ vanilla ice cream for dessert. Yum! It was nice to relax and enjoy the day. :D Back on track today. :wink: Weight has been holding steady between 123-126.

I've had to remind myself a few times recently of my primary No S goal which is to maintain my loss is a way that is sustainable and fits well with my lifestyle. It is not to reach a weight that is not sustainable over the long term by starving myself or exercising like a maniac. :lol: :wink: I am able and willing to:
1.) walk for 45-60 minutes a day, most days.
2.) stay relatively active during the rest of the time through my normal activity. (Shooting for an average of at least 12,000 steps a day.)
3.) abide by the No S principles.
"During" means a way of life, for life. There is no No S finish line. :wink:

ETA: I was exempt from Shovelglove on Wednesday since I mowed the entire lawn and yesterday due to the NWS. I'm still dealing with pain issues and am still not sure whether SG will be sustainable for me or not.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:15 pm

Monday morning, post S-Days, weight: 125.4

I ate more than usual yesterday, in large part due to our Father's Day celebration, and did a little stress-induced permasnacking in the way of 3 or 4 Oreo cookies and a handful of cereal -- I don't even like cereal all that much so this was pure binge/ idiotic eating -- right before bedtime last night. :roll: I'm writing this down for future reference and to hold myself accountable. No guilt but I do want to be aware.

Back on track today. I was up before 5 and already have an hour of skiwalking in ... No NWS days this week and the first week to establish a "new normal" routine with DD on summer vacation. We have a lot of fun activities planned, including doing a "Little House on the Prairie camp" at home all summer, and I'm looking forward to it. :D

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:43 pm

What's a Little House on the Prairie Camp? I've long been a fan of the show's and book. That sounds interesting. Sounds like you had a nice Fathers Day. Your not the only one who went overboard food wise.
I'll be joining you Shannon, on a solid No S week. There's been too many special's and exceptions for me. Have a great week.
Denise
Denise
restart No S on 4/1 at 132#
goal is 120-123# doing vanilla NoS with Eat Stop Eat on Monday.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:05 am

Hi Denise! :D

The Little House on the Prairie camp is something I've come up with to keep DD entertained this summer. :lol: :wink: Basically, DD & I are reading through the entire series together and I've planned special craft & cooking projects & other activities/outings to correlate with each of the books. (Last summer, we did an "American Girl" camp which DD loved so this is our follow-up.) I've been a huge fan of the Little House books & show since I was a little girl -- and, in fact, last winter we took DD to see the musical with Melissa Gilbert starring as Ma -- so I'm excited to share this with her. :D

I hope your week is off to a fantastic start! :D I always find it refreshing to get back to normal after a series of special days.
So far, so good. :wink:

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:29 am

Shannon, that sounds really fun. Keep me posted on how it goes. That is one of the best shows. I think I may need to order the series for my Daughter. Mine are long gone from when I was younger. I think I read them so much they were falling apart.
Denise
Denise

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:07 pm

Mine are long gone from when I was younger. I think I read them so much they were falling apart.

Same with mine! lol We had to buy a new set. :D The camp is going well so far. Yesterday we made "Molasses-on-the Snow" candy which was fun. Fortunately I wasn't all that tempted by it. Cooking, and especially baking, with the kiddo can be tough on N Days. DD knows I'm on No S (and gets a kick out of telling folks about it :lol: :oops:) but she sometimes gets disappointed when I don't taste the product of our labors right away. Oh well. There are times when a red might be worth it and times when it is not. I might end up taking a few planned S events on cooking/baking days this summer. Not every week, though.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:27 pm

I've been taking an intentional break from Shovelglove for the past few days and my pain has lessened.

I'm thinking SG may not be the best exercise for me at this point. Unfortunately. :( I have chronic pelvic floor wall myalgia, brought on, the docs think, by childbirth/c-section and by breaking my tailbone a couple times. It has been "under control" for awhile but I have to be very careful, lest I end in horrible constant pain and needing months of physical therapy which has happened in the past. :roll: At any rate, this means that some forms of exercise are off limits for me,
because they cause my muscles to spasm. Walking and nordic walking are fine. And I'd still like really to try to add in some light weight work to round things out a bit. We'll see.

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:16 pm

Shannon
After starting SG myself, I get some pretty decent back pain and wrist pain. It gets better over time, but I don't have the issues that you have. I always to back to my weight training. It just feels good. I think you're doing the right thing, it would be terrible to put yourself in a bad position.
I told my daughter what your doing this summer with yours. I think I will try to find a used set online of the books. That molasses candy sounds fun.
Denise

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:32 pm

Cool! 8) I think SG offers some great toning benefits. I may try it again in the future but for now I know stopping is the best plan. My pain level is back down to the "under control" level.

Fortunately, the nordic walking provides some nice toning/resistance benefits for the upper body/midsection so at least I'm getting something in, I guess. :wink:

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Weight has been hanging out around 124 lbs this week. This morning it was 123.8.

My lunches have been slightly bigger than usual. Nothing insane -- sandwich, fresh fruit &/or veggies, sometimes a small portion of chips or pretzels -- and so far it doesn't seem to be impacting the scale. I've been outside a lot in the mornings so perhaps this is making me hungrier. Also, I haven't been drinking diet soda at home at all. I've been making unsweetened herbal sun tea which has been hitting the spot.

I'm not finding it all that difficult to make sure I'm getting enough exercise in. Getting up and heading out while DH and DD are still sleeping has worked pretty well -- though I'm a bit rushed if I hit the snooze button or if DH has an early meeting -- and DD and I are generally fairly active during the rest of the day as well.

I can't believe it is already Friday ... This week has gone by fast! I need to start thinking about my special S Day treats for this weekend. :wink: :D

andreamuse

Post by andreamuse » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Sounds like you're doing a great job maintaining! Are you wanting to get your weight lower than that or are you happy where you are right now and just maintaining?

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:35 pm

Thanks! :D

You know, I'm genuinely happy either way. :D I'm perfectly content with where I'm at right now. I feel great, I'm mostly wearing size 4s, my BMI is below 22 and my waist is below 25" ... My plan is to see where my body settles naturally with my vanilla S/current exercise habits. There have been a few points when I've thought I was maintaining and then ***swoosh!*** the scale suddenly goes down a couple pounds again. Wherever I end up, I want to be at a weight that I can maintain easily for the long term. :wink:

andreamuse

Post by andreamuse » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:07 pm

That's so great, s!

Whee! I weighed in at 141.4 today (so down significantly from a few weeks ago).

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:58 pm

Whee! I weighed in at 141.4 today (so down significantly from a few weeks ago).
Wow! You're doing fantastic! :D :D :D

andreamuse

Post by andreamuse » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Thank you! :) I'm up a little today, but I know why - I had things high in sodium yesterday. Today I'm going to drink a lot of water and flush it out of me! :) It's an S day, but I don't really have a desire to pig out or anything...

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:25 pm

I'm up a little -- about a half pound -- today as well, also due to sodium. (We had "Breakfast for Dinner" last night, lol.) :wink:

If I've learned anything from graphing my weight over the past several months, it is that the scale fluctuates. There are so many factors at play -- hormones, excess sodium, "sludge," eating excess calories, etc -- that it is pointless to worry too much about small day-to-day changes. The important thing to take into account is the overall trend, whether be up or down. One thing I do appreciate about weighing daily is that it an excellent reality check and that I can nip any real, ongoing problems in the bud quickly. :wink:

Have a lovely weekend! :D

andreamuse

Post by andreamuse » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:25 pm

thank you! You're absolutely right, which is why I'm completely okay with weighing every day and tracking those ups and downs. Every time I've gone "off" weighing, it's true that I don't have to see the daily fluctuations, but in general, I make not so wise choices because I know that I don't have to weigh myself! :)

Hope your'e having a great weekend, too!

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:42 am

Shannon's July Check-In

I'll use this thread to track my vanilla No S habit and exercise for the month of July.

DH will be on vaca for a week++ and we'll be taking some daytrips and eating out more than usual then. My goal is to keep my daily step average at 12,000 or above and to stick to vanilla No S when we're not on staycation. When we are on staycation I'm going to allow myself the option of one S event per day, if something worthwhile comes up, and commit to keeping my exercise routine up.

1 -- :mrgreen: Over 15,000 steps, including walk w/ DD
2 -- :wink: Over 16,000 steps, including 45 minutes skiwalking. Planned S Event at 4th of July celebration = chocolate custard cone

*****Vacation ***** (Option of taking an S Event each day, if something worthwhile comes up.)

3 S -- :mrgreen: Over 12,000 steps, including 45 minutes skiwalking & walking around downtown w/ family
4 S/July 4-- :wink: Over 12,000 steps, including 45 minutes skiwalking. S Event= "Like It" sized blueberry creation ice cream from Coldstone
5 -- :wink: Over 15,000 steps, including 45 minutes skiwalking & mowing front lawn. S Event= kiddie sized popcorn at Toy Story 3
6 -- :mrgreen: Over 18,000 steps, including 50 minutes skiwalking & time at park w/ family
7 -- :wink: Over 14,000 steps, including 45 minutes skiwalking & walking around Frankenmuth w/ family. S Event= a chocolate covered Twizzler & (shared w/ family) part of a slice of Coca Cola cake w/ vanilla ice cream
8 -- :mrgreen: Over 17,000 steps, including 1 hour skiwalking
9 -- :wink: Over 20,000 steps (woohoo!) S Events= a chocolate custard cone at Greenfield Village and a bag of pretzel M&Ms at movie
10 S -- :wink: Over 14,000 steps registered on pedometer, including 45 minutes skiwalking. (Didn't wear pedometer during 2.5 hours spent at waterpark this afternoon, though. :wink: ) S Event= A few nibbles (bite of homemade doughnut, 3 bites of brownie and a small piece of chocolate)
11 S -- :wink: Over 12,000 steps, including 45 minutes skiwalking. S Events= a homemade Bavarian Cream turnover for breakfast, some chips/salsa at Mexican restaurant

12 -- :mrgreen: Over 20,000 steps, including 1 hour on XL Glider & time w/ DD at park
13 -- :mrgreen: Over 16,000 steps, including 45 minutes skiwalking & mowing backyard
14 -- :mrgreen: Over 14,000 steps, including 45 minutes skiwalking. Also spent 3 hours putzing around in pool.
15 -- :mrgreen: Over 16,000 steps, including 45 minutes skiwalking, mowing front lawn and time at park w/ kiddo
16 -- :mrgreen: Over 15,000 steps, including 45 minutes skiwalking
17 -- :wink: Over 12,000 steps, including 1 hour skiwalking. Bad sore throat.
18 -- :wink: Negligible exercise. I'm fighting something so I felt that the kindest choice was to rest.
19 --:mrgreen: Over 16,000 steps, including 45 minutes skiwalking & time at park with family
20 -- --:mrgreen: Over 10,000 steps. Head cold. Running a small fever off & on today.
21 -- --:mrgreen: Over 10,000 steps. Feeling a little better.
22 -- --:mrgreen: Over 12,000 steps, including 30 minutes skiwalking & mowing backyard.
23 -- :mrgreen: Over 15,000 steps, including 60 minutes skiwalking.
24 -- :wink: Over 12,000 steps, including 1 hour skiwalking.
25 -- :wink:
26 --
27 --
28 --
29 --
30 --
31 -- :wink:
Last edited by sophiasapientia on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 28 times in total.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:57 am

Feeling a bit icky and bloated tonight. :( :roll:

I slacked off a bit on the exercise this weekend by choice (busy doing fun stuff with the family on Saturday) and circumstances (thunderstorms/tornados today and then I just didn't bother) ...
But my step average for this week is 12,500 steps a day which isn't too bad and within my goal range.

My S Day on Saturday was a bit over the top and it was somewhat normal today. I don't even want to step on the scale tomorrow ... so I won't. In fact, I might stay off the scale for a while since TOM is also approaching.

I know that July will be a little challenging -- DH will be on vacation for 9 days and we'll be taking daytrips/eating out more than usual -- so I'm going to focus on keeping my vanilla No S and exercise habits solid, solid, solid.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:29 pm

I'm feeling a lot better this morning.

I find myself with a "diet" mindset sometimes. As I said, Saturday was a bit over the top compared to some of my other S Days. We went to a museum and then to a Hot Air Balloon fest which was 8) and, while I didn't permasnack, I did eat more than usual because my meal times were off and we were gone all day, having fun. I found myself thinking that I would keep Sunday green to balance out Saturday but, when it came down to it, I felt like I was punishing myself unfairly so I had a regular 'ol S Day on Sunday.

If No S is going to be my plan for life it needs to be realistic. I need to be able to relax and enjoy being with my family and -- yes, even have "over the top S Days" from time to time, guilt free. Mostly, I feel like I have a decent handle on things but I could see where a vacation or a series of stressful days or whatever could derail me if I'm not keeping the bigger picture in mind. A solid foundation of a vanilla No S habit combined with consistent moderate exercise seems to be working well for me and if I stick to that, I should be OK even if I have an "off" day every now and then ...

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:32 pm

This is something that I deal with as well, Shannon. I feel like I overdo it that have the need to deprive and restrict. Not Good. This is for the long haul. Hey, on another note, I order the set of Little House books for DD and I. I had forgetten all about these until you mentioned them. DD is going to Oregon tomorrow for 2 weeks to visit Grandparents, but when she get's back I hope we can enjoy them together. I have a hard time finding books she can enjoy, so I'm hopeing these will do the trick.
Have a great week.
Denise
Denise

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:36 pm

dmarie710 wrote: Hey, on another note, I order the set of Little House books for DD and I. I had forgetten all about these until you mentioned them. DD is going to Oregon tomorrow for 2 weeks to visit Grandparents, but when she get's back I hope we can enjoy them together. I have a hard time finding books she can enjoy, so I'm hopeing these will do the trick.
Way cool! I hope that she enjoys them as well (and has a nice trip) ... How old is your DD? My kiddo is almost 7.5 and an avid reader. Right now, she is crazy about the Percy Jackson series which are fun. :)

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:36 pm

My DD is 11. I really would like for her to love books the way I did when I was young and I still love them. I've tried to explain to her how books can be more exciting the TV and video games. She does have special needs (possible asperger's), so she kind of get's overly focused on certain things. Also is delayed. Her reading level is probably 3rd or 4th grade. I think the Little House books are easy enough for her to feel comfortable with, but may challenge her a bit too.
Denise

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:31 pm

Denise -- You'll have to let me know how your DD likes the Little House series. Hopefully, they'll be a good match for her and she'll enjoy them as much as you and I did. :D :wink:

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:29 pm

June was a really solid month in terms of No S and exercise. No reds and one pre-planned NWS. I'm feeling good about my habits and am hopeful that I can hold steady in July when DH is on vacation, etc.

Here are my stats for June (which are a little distorted since TOM started today which typically means I'm up a couple of pounds):
Start Weight: 128 lb on 06/01/2010
End Weight: 125 lb on 06/30/2010
Total Change: -3 lb
Avg. Weekly Change: -0.7 lb
Maximum Weight: 128.6 lb on 05/31/2010
Minimum Weight: 123.2 lb on 06/13/2010

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:44 pm

I'm totally impressed, Shannon on how well you've done. Truly, an inspiration. Your now at my goal weight. I am going to tighten up on paying attention to type of food I eat since I haven't been losing weight. With us small gals it just doesn't take much calories to keep us going.
Good job on another great month.
Denise
Denise

andreamuse

Post by andreamuse » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:47 pm

Fantastic stats, Shannon!!!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:41 am

Wow, you're doing a great job!

And I think your posts about keeping "the big picture" in mind are very wise. :)

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:41 pm

Awwww, thanks so much everyone! :D

Thursday morning weight: 124 (with TOM)

Well, even though it technically doesn't, it feels as if our vacation starts today. DH and I have a "date night" ... We are going out for dinner and to see Eclipse but I'm planning on a green day. :mrgreen: Tomorrow night our family is going to a symphony concert/fireworks display and I'm planning on my first S event (most likely a custard cone) ...

We are tossing around the idea of going out to NJ next week for a whirlwind trip. It looks like it might be a good time to visit with MIL since her treatment is still on hold. Not sure about that yet, though. If we do travel, I'm going to keep to the S event vacation mod, realizing that my exercise might be a little lax, especially on travel days.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Tuesday morning weight: 123.4

I'm very pleased with the S-Event vacation mod thus far. It is a nice balance of being able to splurge while keeping things in check. My weight has been hanging out around 123 ... Not bad considering we've been eating out at least once a day during our "staycation" -- we've been doing lots of daytrips/outings -- and the excess sodium, etc, that come with all that eating out. :wink:

I've been consistent with exercise. It has been pretty hot this week so getting up early and doing my skiwalking then has worked well all the way around.

andreamuse

Post by andreamuse » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:45 pm

wow, that's amazing!! You are an inspiring story! :)

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:24 am

Thanks so much! :D Our staycation week has been a lot of fun. Tons of outings (and eating out) but a decent amount of exercise too. Weight has been hanging out around 123ish or so but I did see it drop to 122 earlier this week. The trend still seems to be moving downwards.

Here's a picture of me & DD at Greenfield Village today. Kiddo was very excited to be wearing her prairie dress. :lol: :wink:

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:49 am

Oh, wow. I love this picture. Your daughter looks so cute. You look great also, Shannon. It's so fun to see pix of people I've been communicating with for some time. Where did you get such a great dress? Was that a part of your camp this year?
Denise
Denise

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:09 am

Thanks so much Denise! :D My sweet MIL actually made the dress/bonnet as a surprise for DD when she found out that we'd be doing the camp this summer. :D She is always doing thoughtful things like that, even in the midst of everything she has been through this year.

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:47 am

what a great MIL you have. How has she been doing? Family is truly a blessing aren't they?
Denise

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:43 am

I love your picture! Your daughter looks very sweet, but you look fantastic! A real testament to No S and exercise :D

I used to love 'Little House on the Prairie' when I was little - watched it on TV every week, but I've never read the books. Are they aimed at younger children (mine are teenagers)?

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:47 pm

FANTASTIC picture of you both! Your daughter is a cutie, and you look absolutely great.

Thanks for sharing! Enjoy your vacation.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:23 pm

Thanks so very much Everyone!!! :D :oops: :D
I used to love 'Little House on the Prairie' when I was little - watched it on TV every week, but I've never read the books. Are they aimed at younger children (mine are teenagers)?
idon'tknow -- The books are geared toward younger kids, probably in the ages 7-11 or 12ish range, although I've reread them many times over the years including when I was a teen. Of course, I tend to reread favorites anyway. :D :lol:
what a great MIL you have. How has she been doing? Family is truly a blessing aren't they?
Absolutely on all accounts! ... My MIL is hanging in there. Her cancer treatment is still on hold since the doctors are afraid that it would be too much for her system. The good news is that she isn't in a lot of pain, she is still able to live independently and she has a fighting spirit. We are ever hopeful that things will improve and we are looking forward to taking a trip to see her soon.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:22 am

Monday morning weight: 123.2

We had a lovely, fun, moderately active staycation and I'm thrilled to pieces that, even with eating out waaaay more than usual and with the S Events, I maintained my weight. Woohoo! :D No deprivation, no counting, no worrying. I'll definitely use the S Event vacation mod when we go on vacation in August.

Vacation is over now and I'm looking forward to getting back into a regular rountine and having a series of Green Days. :D

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:14 pm

Thursday morning weight: 121.6

Swoosh! My weight has dropped to a new low range again. It has been under 122 most of this week. There is a definite pattern to changes on the scale. I'll reach a new low, hang out there for awhile and then the scale will drop a couple pounds again.

I imagine there will be a point when the weight loss will stop, right? A few years ago, when I got down to my lowest adult weight (112-114ish for about 2 seconds :wink: ), folks -- my parents & sister, mostly -- said that I was getting "too thin." I remember feeling really good and healthy in the 118-122 range ... about where I'm at right now, I guess. :wink: I honestly didn't think I'd see the low 120s again 8) and, as I've said before, maintaining a healthy weight is my #1 priority. I'd rather be a steady 128 than yoyo significantly. BTDT. :roll:

NWS: I was in need of a new swimsuit and remembered that I had purchased a couple on sale a few years ago. I tried them on a few months ago and they were too tight ... but they fit great now! Woohoo! :D

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi Sophia,
Congrats on your new low! I think you're doing great, if you're eating and exercising in a way that makes you happy than that's the goal right? Your body will stop losing weight when its ready to and it sounds like you might already know when that will be--118-122? I totally agree with you that it's far superior to be at a weight (even if it's higher) that you can maintain with minimal pain than to be yo yoing all over the place. I've been reading up on "set point theory" which I'm not sure if I believe but it says once you've been eating normally (which they don't define) and exercising modrately for 1 year then you'll hit your set point weight-you genetically determined "desired" weight for your body. Maybe your body is still settling? As for me, 6 months more to go :roll: !
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:40 pm

Shannon, I'm excited for you. You are doing so great, you look great and it just sounds like you've fallen into a rythymn (not sure if I spelled it right). How fun your swimsuits fit. Good for you.
Denise
Denise

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:54 am

Thanks so much ladies! :D Denise, I do feel like I've found a rhythm ... occasional wild S Days notwithstanding. :wink: :roll:
Congrats on your new low! I think you're doing great, if you're eating and exercising in a way that makes you happy than that's the goal right? Your body will stop losing weight when its ready to and it sounds like you might already know when that will be--118-122? I totally agree with you that it's far superior to be at a weight (even if it's higher) that you can maintain with minimal pain than to be yo yoing all over the place. I've been reading up on "set point theory" which I'm not sure if I believe but it says once you've been eating normally (which they don't define) and exercising modrately for 1 year then you'll hit your set point weight-you genetically determined "desired" weight for your body. Maybe your body is still settling? As for me, 6 months more to go !
Shannah -- That's really interesting about the "set point theory" ... I have about 5 1/2 months to go until I reach a year. At this point, my eating habits are largely habitual and I mostly feel like a "normal" eater ... just one who doesn't eat snacks, sweets or seconds 5 days (plus or minus) of the week. My exercise habits are pretty habitual as well, though I'll have to make some adjustments once Michigan winter hits and I can't walk outside. :roll: ...Hopefully by early next year, we'll both be at happy, sustainable "during" weights. It would be awesome not to have "lose weight" on my long-term goal list for 2011 and beyond. :wink: :D

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:16 am

I have a sinus infection. Mostly trying to rest and keep my green days green. Hopefully I'll be up and walking soon ... :wink:

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:18 pm

aww, sorry your sick. I hope you feel better soon.
Denise

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Thanks Denise! I'm getting better ... feeling more "functional" at any rate. :lol: :wink:

Thursday morning weight: 121
Exercise has decreased this week due to being sick but my portions have decreased slightly too. (I haven't been overly hungry.)

DielleNicole

Post by DielleNicole » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:49 am

Hello Shannon,

I just wanted to say a belated thanks for your encouragement. I've been doing really well so far. I see that you seem to be doing great as well!

It was really nice to be welcomed to the No S fold so soon. I think this whole bulletin board community is a great secret to success.

I'll see you on the boards. Have a great weekend!

Dielle
Starting Age 26 - Height 5'6" - Peak Weight 334
Goal = To be healthy, to not have the joints of a 65 year old, to escape the family curse of Obesity, Heart Disease, and Diabetes

"Be Renewed in the Spirit of your Mind!" Ephesians 4:23

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:35 pm

DielleNicole wrote:Hello Shannon,

I just wanted to say a belated thanks for your encouragement. I've been doing really well so far. I see that you seem to be doing great as well!

It was really nice to be welcomed to the No S fold so soon. I think this whole bulletin board community is a great secret to success.

I'll see you on the boards. Have a great weekend!

Dielle
Hi Dielle! I'm so glad that everything continues to go well. ITA that the bulletin board can be a key to success, especially when establishing habit. :wink: Have a fantastic weekend yourself! :D

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:53 pm

Nothing major to report. S Day yesterday was definitely unrestricted. :wink: Nothing completely crazy but lunch was somewhat large and I had a few goodies along the way. I'm still congested and, between that and the crazy weather we've had over the past few days, my step count has been a little lower than average, though still respectable. :wink:

I'm trying to figure out how I want to track my habits over the long term. I've been tracking my steps privately at 10,000 steps and my weight on Fitday, both of which I'll continue. I'm toying with going back to a written journal to track my No S habit/things overall. Less time on the internet wouldn't be a bad thing, honestly. :roll: But I do need to be accountable to someone. The question is whether I am ready to be wholly accountable to myself without tracking things daily somewhat publically. I think I am. I think I'd like to give it a try and post here less frequently ... and start plodding away on some other habits/projects that need attention. :wink: :idea:

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:52 am

Shannon, I have to say, I really love your consistency. You are a really great motivator. I think no matter what you decide, you will succeed at it. I do love your posts, though. But, family first always. Glad your slowly starting to feel better. Have a great week.
Denise
Denise

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:06 am

Glad you're feeling better.

As for limiting internet time... I am clearly not a good one to give advice! But I'm not going to let that stop me! ;)

There's a lot of middle ground between spending time here and not, and being accountable and not. You could try a weekly check-in instead of daily, and keep whatever written records you like between then. That would keep you accountable, but not on the internet so much.

In the spirit of "full disclosure," I am not just responding in the "moderate" spirit of No-S... there's a streak of selfishness in my recommendation, because I so enjoy your presence here!

But as Denise says, you have to do what's best for you and your family.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Denise & KCCC -- Thank you so much for your kind words. I appreciate them and truly enjoy reading both of your posts as well. :D

Everything -- apart from still being under the weather. I'm finally going in to see the doctor later this week, though -- is going quite well. I think backing off a bit from the Boards has been a good plan for me. I had gotten into the habit of stopping by to do a "quick check" and then frittering far more time than I had intended or really had to spare. :wink: I'm definitely more productive when I limit my internet time. But I enjoy the Boards and I'm certainly not leaving entirely. Perodic check-ins sound like a good plan. :wink:

Weight is still dropping. This morning it was 120.6. I can now fit comfortably into my "skinny jeans." 8)

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:26 am

Great Shannon- I'm glad NoS is working so well for you and that you'll still be around from time to time!! :)
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:37 am

Thanks so much Osoniye!

Everything continues to go well. Weight this morning was 122 with TOM. Nothing significant to report. We'll be vacationing with family in a couple weeks and I'll do the S Event mod during our trip.

Happy August, all! :)

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:15 am

Thursday morning weight: 120

I had an intentional failure last Friday. We had lots of good news our little family and in our extended family and a celebration felt in order. We went out for ice cream after our homemade pizza dinner and I enjoyed my cone thoroughly. :wink: My S Days on Saturday and Sunday were pretty typical.

My daily step average has been a little lower for the past few weeks. I've been working on some household projects that require activity but not steps.

Life is good. :D

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:04 am

On a mountain retreat with my family/extended family. Lots of fun and a goregous setting.

I'm sticking to a basic 3 meal structure but allowing myself treats if I really want them. Extended family -- all of whom are fit/thin -- are major snackers. I'm eating fairly mindfully all things considered and I figure that, in the greater scheme of things, a handful of days aren't that big of a deal.

Activity level has been high. I've been hiking in the mountains for a hour + each day -- and boy is my body feeling it! :wink: -- plus spending time in the pool, etc.

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:09 am

Hope you have a wonderful time with your family.
Denise
Denise

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:01 pm

Thanks so much Denise! It was a very nice, relaxing vacation and it was lovely to spend time with family. We all get along well anyway but I think being on "neutral turf" was especially nice. :wink:

We got back from the trip late on Sunday. My Monday morning "post vacation" weight was 124.4 and my weight this morning (Wednesday) was 120.4 ... I'm thrilled that I was able to jump back on track and recover from any holiday excess so quickly. We have a couple trips out east and a Disney trip planned for the next several months. :D

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:58 pm

All these trips, Shannon. sounds really fun. Good job on the weight too.
Denise

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:00 pm

Thank you Denise! :D

Well, I've slacked off on checking the No S Boards ... but not on No S, although I've relaxed a bit. My weight range has dropped a little. This morning's weight was 119. Over the past couple months, I've especially developed a sense of how to balance out my eating (i.e. eating a little lighter at the next meal if I've had a large meal, etc) ... I don't have to worry or over-think about what or how much I'm eating anymore and that's a lovely thing. I continue to wear my pedometer everyday and weigh-in/graph a few days a week.

Kiddo started back at school yesterday.

Major project focus is now on working through my driving phobia (highway driving, especially) .. I've signed-up for a course and plan to use the Everyday Systems principles to guide me. If I could end 2010 with continued solid No S habits and having made strides with the driving phobia, I'd consider this a wildly successful year in terms of personal growth.

Katie

Post by Katie » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:41 pm

Hi!! Just wanted to say hello, and that YOU INSPIRE ME! Hope you're having a great weekend :)
Expecting first baby 02/02/2012
Allowing 2 snacks a day

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Aw, thanks so much Katie! :oops: :D I had a lovely weekend ... I hope that you did too and that you're having a good trip!

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:59 pm

We've been settling into the back to school routine. Everything is going well. I've taken on some new responsibilities recently, like being the PTO Treasurer at kiddo's school, and we have a very busy Fall in general ... but everything seems completely doable.

My weight continues to slowly drop. It was 118.6 this morning. I'm still in the look good, feel good zone. I suspect that much more of a loss may be too skinny, though, and require some readjusting. I'll cross that bridge when/if I come to it.

I'm making small strides with my major project, working through my driving phobia. I've been working on my relaxation exercises and pushing myself to drive outside of my comfort zone every N Day. I haven't gotten on the highway yet but I suspect that will be coming within the next week or so. The program I'm using encourages you to take baby steps. I'm making progress and that's good.

I guess I'll be doing some baking later today. DH asked me to make some goodies for him to bring into work and share. I love how I can do this for him now and not have it bother/derail me. I'll have my own treats on the weekend. :wink:

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Good for you Shannon. Sounds like it may be a pretty busy school year for you. I love being at my kids school. Keeping an eye on my teenagers is a huge bonus. I cannont believe your still dropping weight. Your doing something right, that's for sure.
Denise

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:21 pm

I love being at my kids school. Keeping an eye on my teenagers is a huge bonus.
Me too, Denise. :wink: :D I love being able to volunteer in DD's class/school, get to know her teachers and friends and keep an eye on her. Of course, she is 7 and still happy to have me around at this point. LOL! Your kids are lucky to have you at their school. :D

I hope that you're having a wonderful week and that all is well with you and yours ...
Last edited by sophiasapientia on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:24 pm

Extra post.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:20 pm

I drove on the highway this morning. I just went up and back one exit but this is a major success for me. Prior to today, it had been over a year since I attempted to drive on the highway, although I drive around town -- taking back roads if need be -- on a daily basis. I feel jittery but I did it and didn't have a major panic attack. Tomorrow I'll give it another go. One babystep at a time. I am ready to be done with this phobia.

Weight this morning was 120.6. I'm still recovering from the weekend which involved more sodium than usual. No worries.

Meeting up with a friend to take a walk in a few minutes. That will be nice. :D

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:49 pm

How exciting for you Shannon. I'm so happy for you. It must be such a hurdle to be limited in your driving. Have a nice walk with your friend.
Denise

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Thanks so much for the encouragement Denise. Yes, it is definitely a hurdle to be limited in my driving and it limits me, too, in the person I want to be and the things I want to do. Plus, it is embarrassing and not something I'm all that comfortable sharing IRL. :oops: I recognize that everyone has their own obstacles, some obvious and some perhaps not so obvious. This one is my biggie and I'm ready to deal with it.

Had a lovely walk with my friend. We went to a local park and hiked through the woods.

It now looks like tomorrow will be a NWS. DD has the day off and DH has decided to take the day off as well to do a family outing. I'm looking forward to it. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:16 pm

sophiasapientia wrote:Thanks so much for the encouragement Denise. Yes, it is definitely a hurdle to be limited in my driving and it limits me, too, in the person I want to be and the things I want to do. Plus, it is embarrassing and not something I'm all that comfortable sharing IRL. :oops: I recognize that everyone has their own obstacles, some obvious and some perhaps not so obvious. This one is my biggie and I'm ready to deal with it.

Had a lovely walk with my friend. We went to a local park and hiked through the woods.

It now looks like tomorrow will be a NWS. DD has the day off and DH has decided to take the day off as well to do a family outing. I'm looking forward to it. :)
Congrats on your milestone! :)

(I swear by the "babysteps" approach.)

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:34 pm

Thanks KCCC! I'm also a fan of the babysteps approach. One of the added benefits of No S/Everyday Systems for me, besides weight loss and dietary sanity, has been reinforcing the importance of habit and breaking problems into managable solutions/parts.

Spent a fun NWS day with the family yesterday. We ate out twice, including a really nice but rich dinner/dessert at Zingerman's Roadhouse, and my weight was 122 this morning. 122 is above my current desired weight range, sort of my personal "Proceed with Caution" # so I'm going to keep things light until it drops back down.

No driving practice yesterday with the NWS but I was successfully back on the highway again today. Same drill as Tuesday. I think I'm ready to drive a little longer during my next practice session.

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:47 pm

Glad you had fun yesterday, Shannon. What a great treat in the middle of the week. Enjoy the rest of the week.
Denise

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:55 pm

Just popping in for my weekly check-in. Weight has been staying between 119-120 this week which is fine by me. This morning it was 119.8.

I've read in the forums that several people attribute planning to a major key in their success and I concur that this has been true for me. Every Sunday night, I sit down and do a weekly dinner meal plan based on what's in season, what's on sale, what I have stockpiled, what my family has been hankering for and what will work logistically with our schedule for a given day. Monday I do the grocery shopping, list in hand, and devote some time to doing cooking prep for the week and sometimes bulk cooking to stock our freezer with homemade meals to pull out on busy nights. Beyond that, I don't have to think much about what to eat/cook. I just look at our weekly meal plan. Breakfast and lunch are often dietary defaults. Weekends are a little more flexible, especially since we often eat out once or twice, but even then we have a loose plan which helps.

I'm s-l-o-w-l-y making progress with the driving practice. I'm doing something every N Day, although on days when I've got a lot going on, I count driving anywhere outside of my comfort zone or engaging in some driver's ed activity as a success. That's the best I can do right now.

I'm also committed to making better use of my time and have been putting energy into that. I'm not a slacker or anything by any means but I do think I can work on being more effective and purposeful. I've been listening to some self-help audiobooks and podcasts when I'm engaged in some of the more mundane tasks that make up my day and reading related books at night too.

Right now, I'm reading 168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think by Laura Vanderkam which, while helpful in some regards, is actually very judgmental torwards full-time homemakers so I may not finish it. ***sigh*** There are moments when I look at people like my SIL -- who works full-time, has 3 kids, is in 2 bookclubs, coaches her daughter's sports team, runs marathons, is constantly on the go,etc, etc -- and wonder why I can't be more like that. Granted, I'm not her. She has help that I do not have and my energy level, inherent need for introspection to regroup and some of my priorities are quite different. Plus, it isn't all that useful to compare myself to others anyway, except to the extent that I want to cultivate certain traits within myself, and see them as role models. But it has been on my mind nonetheless.

Anyway, my alloted check-in time is over. Time to get busy. Have a great week all! :D

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:51 am

Congrats on sustaining your weight AND on your progress on your driving goal. That's two big-goal items in a year - most people don't make even one. Inspiring!

Comparing yourself to others is a recipe for feeling bad. I tend to compare another person's "best" with my "worst"... and don't look at the areas where I excel. Just remember that your SIL is a different person with different circumstances and different needs. Admire her accomplishments without feeling any need to do exactly the same... and recognize your accomplishments at the same time.

For example, I am SO impressed with your meal-planning organization! I sometimes get almost that organized on a good week. More often, I'm winging it from our usual pantry staples and stuff on hand, plus whatever produce looked good to me when I shopped.

On your time management... what do you want to make time FOR? Just curious.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi KCCC,
Thanks so much for the compliments and advice! I really appreciate it. You are right on. I too tend compare another person's "best" with my "worst" and it just isn't all that helpful.

When I look at how I spend my time, I do think there are some definite areas where I could make better use of it. The biggest period is the 2 hour window between when DD goes to bed and when I get ready to go to bed. Often, DH and I are both exhausted at this point. DH likes to relax in the evening by reading and watching TV. I'm not a huge TV watcher/fan and, left to my own devices, I would rarely turn it on. DH likes to have the TV on in the background even when he isn't watching it and he likes to have me close by, even if we are each doing our own thing. ( I'd really prefer to leave the TV off entirely unless we are watching something worthwhile but don't make a big deal out it. DH is a good guy, he works hard and he is dealing with a lot, including a degenerative neurological disease, and if he wants to zone out and watch mindless television, I guess that is OK, for him. Not for me. At least not on a nightly basis.) Anyway, I need to find a way to use this window of time to do things that refresh me and are more in line with my personal goals but in a way that doesn't leave DH feeling neglected.

What do I want to make time for? To start with:

Short-term Goals

Continue to care for myself, my family & my home/yard. I do pretty well on all of these fronts, though I'm still tweaking a optimal housecleaning schedule and I'd like to declutter more.

Work consistently on current resolution (conquering driving phobia) I haven't been doing the relaxation exercises or journaling for the program I'm using and I really need to prioritize these. This resolution takes more emotional energy than anything and I think I'm missing some key steps by skipping out on the relaxation/reflection. This may also be why my progress is slow. I find it challenging to pump myself up to do something that I'm terrified to do, quite frankly.

Get acclimated/organized for PTO treasurer position. Just received a massive crate of related materials a couple days ago and have a lot to sort through, bookkeeping records to set-up on computer, banking paperwork to change, etc. Goal is to handle my responsibilities diligently/efficiently while adding as little extra stress as possible to my life. Very doable ... I just need to devote some concrete time to organizing everything now.

Systematically designate specific windows of time to prepare for upcoming temporary projects/events (In the next 7 weeks, I'm helping to coordinate a major social event for kiddo's school, heading up a fundraising event for kiddo's school, hosting a Halloween party at our home for DD's friends and hosting an out-of-state baby shower for my sister.)

Long-term goals

Prepare myself so I'm ready to return to paid work if I ever need or want to do so. I've been out of the workforce for almost 8 years. I have a post-graduate degree but don't feel very confident about reestablishing a career at this point, especially since I won't be returning to my previous career. I don't have any immediate plans to return to work but I think it's important to know that you have the capacity to support yourself financially. Things I can do: meet with career counselor, update my resume, update my skill set/take classes if necessary, work on establishing a list of people that I could refer to as references.

Nurture/develop relationships with extended family and friends. This is something that I was once quite good at but have not given nearly as much time/energy as I'd like to in recent years.

Reprioritize spiritual life.

Dedicate more time to life-giving hobbies/personal goals. (Examples: train for & complete 3 Day Breast cancer walk, learn to play the piano, learn a foreign language, write, do research/extensive study on topics of interest, consider starting a blog, travel abroad again, sing more, etc, etc, etc.) (Not all at once, LOL)

Work on home improvement projects. (ex: painting, repurposing 3rd bedroom, having a garden, etc.)

Thanks so much for your thought-provoking question. Lots to think about here! =)

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Just wrote a check-in and it got deleted somehow. Ugh.

The short story is that No S and exercise continue to go well. My family did a charity walk this past weekend which was fun. This morning's weight was 119.4 with TOM. :)

Otherwise, very busy week. Lots of meetings and I've gotten myself organized with the Treasurer stuff and am making really good progress with most of my short term mini projects. Driving practice has really fallen by the wayside, though. I just can't seem to fit everything in and making strides on the event coordinating has felt more urgent & important this week. Perhaps I need to get to the point where driving practice, like exercise, is a non-negotiable -- unless ill -- part of my day. I'm not there yet, though. Avoidance or just realistic given time constraints? I'm not completely sure ...

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:59 pm

We went out for ice cream at Coldstone following DD's swim lesson last night. I had a kiddie-sized serving and it was yummy. Technically a No S fail. Honestly, I don't officially keep track of Green days/Red days anymore, though I attribute being very strict about staying within the No S rules earlier on to being a key to my current success and building a solid habit. Red days are quite rare and, if I do indulge, like last night, it is something that it is really worth it and generally not over the top.

Weight this morning was 118.2, still with TOM. DH continues to be full of compliments about my physique. I asked him to let me know if he thinks I'm getting "too thin" since that was an issue in the past but DH doesn't think it is problem at this point. He says that I look slender/fit/healthy not gaunt. I'm still trusting that my body will settle at my ideal weight naturally with my No S and my exercise habits.

I ordered a couple of cute dresses, size 4, from Boden recently for some upcoming events because I realized that I only had 1 colder weather dress that fit. The first one arrived earlier this week. Very fun!

Looking forward to a wonderful weekend. We have plans with family who will be visiting from out of state and plans to Trick or Treat at Greenfield Village, a family tradition since DD was an infant. I suspect some fallish treats, like hot mulled cider, will be in order this S day. :wink:

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:38 pm

Shannon, size 4. That is so great. I'm so impressed with how well you do. You halloween tradition sounds fun. Here in california ours are quite a bit different. I grew up in oregon and somtimes I think our kids are missing out on the fall and the community coming together. We really don't have that out here. Have a great weekend.
Denise
Denise

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:23 pm

Hey Denise -- Thanks! It was a lovely weekend. Lots of fun, nice weather and the autumnal colors are just beautiful. :D I suspect that you have the better end of the bargain in CA during the bitter cold and icy winter months, though. :wink:

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:49 am

According to the American Society of Training and Development, the probability of completing a goal is:

10% if you hear an idea
25% if you decide to consciously adopt it
40% if you decide you will do it
50% if you plan how you will do it
65% if you commit to someone else you will do it
95% if you have a specific accountability appointment with the person to whom you committed

Tidbit for me to bear in mind ...

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:19 pm

Weight has been between 117.8-119 this week. This morning it was 118.4. We went out for kiddie sized ice cream after DD's swim lessons again last night. A small treat on Friday night is becoming a habit. Since I'm happy with where I am at weight-wise, I'm not concerned about it at this point. If the scale goes up, that will be the first thing that is cut.

We are having a Halloween party at our house for some of DD's friends early this afternoon so I'm off to finish getting ready for that ... :wink:

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Weight has been consistently at 119.4 all week. Not a big shock. I know from many months of graphing my weight that my body "clings" to weight for a few days during mid-cycle. It does this every month. :P

No S fail yesterday. We picked up cupcakes from the bakery next to where kiddo takes piano lessons and each had one for dessert following our chili dinner. No ice cream after swim lessons for me tomorrow.

Crazy busy week. I'm helping coordinate the upcoming fall festival at DD's school which is this weekend and there's a lot to do for that on top of normal responsibilities.

Kathi

Post by Kathi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:56 pm

If I saw 119 on the scale, it WOULD be a shock! :)

Actually, that's a very good weight for me, although after three kids I'll take the low 120's and be more than happy. I've been following you, Shannon, because your profile is similar to mine--I'm a little taller than you but very small-boned and am around the same age. I'm at 137 now--where I've been stuck *forever*--and would be thrilled with a 15-lb loss. This is the hardest 15 lbs. I've ever tried to lose! It's just flab, flab, flab around my middle, so even clothes that are the right size don't fit well.

I'm almost on Day 21 of No S, which has been a lifesaver. However, due to some very wild S days (and full plates otherwise), my weight hasn't budged. I can feel myself settling into the routine so am slowly decreasing my portion sizes. One move that I hope will make a huge difference is my new pedometer. Wow! Was I sedentary. I was probably only tracking 6K a day. I'm a SAHM with young kids both in and out of school, and I'm pretty much a slave to their schedule. The only exercise time is between 5 and 6 a.m. I'm now seeing what a HUGE difference even a 30-min walk makes for my step count, and it's getting me out of that warm bed in the a.m. The other day I got up to 11K and felt great all day (and slept very soundly that night--another huge benefit).

Thanks for all the inspiration! Hope to be where you are at some point.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:50 am

Hi there Kathi! Thanks for visiting my thread and congratulations on nearing your 21 Days! You are doing great! :D I think the fact that you've been maintaining your weight, Wild S Days and all, is very promising because, as you naturally start to adjust your portions a bit and up your movement a bit, you'll create a calorie deficit and it is very likely that weight loss will follow. :wink:

I wear a pedometer as well, and, like you, I was pretty shocked to see how many steps I was averaging initially. This inspired me to up the ante and I firmly believe that this made a huge difference for me. And the nice thing about counting steps is that we can be "creative" about how we get them in if need be, even if it means marching in place while on the phone, chasing the kids around, taking extra trips to put laundry away or whatever. It all counts. :wink: :D

I'm excited to see how your No S journey progresses ...

tobiasmom

pedometer

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Do you recommend a certain pedometer? I had one a long time ago, but it wasn't very accurate. I am assuming there are some good ones now!

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:54 pm

There are other good brands but I use an Omron and have been very happy with it. http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-112-Digi ... 373&sr=8-1
There are other "more advanced" Omron pedometers as well. :)

tobiasmom

pedometer

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:22 pm

Thanks so much! I just ordered one! Now I will know how many steps I'm actually taking. I know I need to increase it.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:57 pm

Very cool! 8) I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:11 pm

Big changes on the horizon. It looks like we're adopting an energetic 1 year old Cockalier -- Cavalier King Charles/Cocker Spaniel mix -- on Monday. 8) Exciting but it will likely mean some adjustments to my exercise routine. Nordic walking, which has some nice calorie-burning and toning benefits, has become my "bread and butter" exercise and I won't be able to do that while walking a dog. I may need to retry Shovelglove or add in some weight training. Hmm. :? We were planning on getting a dog next year but DH's coworker's doggie needs a new home & we decided to go for it. :D

This morning's weight: 118.6

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:01 pm

This morning's weight was 117.8 ... I am a little surprised since, while not "wild" exactly, my S days were high cal and my step count -- at 6,000 to 7,000 per day -- was much lower than usual. I was active/busy but didn't get a walk in. It could be that my body had shed some of the excess mid-cycle weight or that it needed a break or perhaps it was fluke. Hmmm.

We visit the doggie tonight and, if seems like a good match, we'll take him him home. :wink:

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:22 pm

Good luck with your new family member today!!! I have a dog, and he is part of the family. They are so loyal and so fun. And a big help with walking for me. But I know you'll have to adjust your nordic walking now....he/she will keep you busy, though!

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:26 am

Thanks so much Tobiasmom! He's a very sweet, cuddly & energetic pup and we are so happy to have him as part of our family. We definitely have our work cut out for us, though, since he hasn't had a lot of training. :wink:

It looks like having a dog will be good for my step count. I had over 17,000 steps in yesterday and already have 8,000 steps today. I wore poor Max out, I think. LOL.

ImageImage