Tango Time's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

tangotime

Tango Time's check in

Post by tangotime » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:51 am

Hi everyone,

I am a new mom to daughter Alexa born Oct 16th. I am doing this for her as well as myself so I can once and for all develop a healthy relationship with food and set a good example for her. It would also be nice to lose some baby weight :D . Started yesterday, so I'll log in both days below:

Monday, Dec 1:

Breakfast: two homemade oatmeal pancakes, 2 sausage patties, 1 glass apple cider ( I'm used to eating bananna bread for breakfast and being hungry 2 hours later. This is delicious and the protein in the sausage keeps me full)
Lunch: same as breakfast
Dinner: Homemade chicken tenders, baked fries, and green beans
Exercise: morning walk with baby- 1 hour

Tuesday, Dec 2:
Breakfast: two homemade oatmeal pancakes, 2 sausage patties, 1 glass apple cider
Lunch: 1 bowl tomato basil soup, 1 grilled cheese sandwich
Dinner: Homemade beef stew w/ mushrooms and carrots over rotini pasta
Exercise: Dance exercise dvd while Alexa watched me in her bouncy chair!

Have a great day,

MaryAnn
You are what you think you are

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:32 pm

Mary Ann,

Welcome! And CONGRATULATIONS on the birth of your daughter! And you are right, what a great time to start developing a healthy relationship with food and eating,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:26 pm

Mary Ann,

Congratulations!!! Squeeze her little feet for me!

Welcome to the board...it's a great place to find encouragment...

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

tangotime

Post by tangotime » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:58 pm

Thank you for your welcome blue skies and janie!

I look forward to hearing more from you. Its interesting, blue skies, I have started no S many times but I know it will be different this time b/c I'm not just doing this for me. :P

Janie, I gave my daughter a huge nuzzle for you.

MaryAnn

tangotime

Success today and a few thoughts

Post by tangotime » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:40 am

Day three and I have a few thoughts:

-Like I said before I have tried NoS with several failures in the past, but now I understand why. Although I tried to follow the rules to a T, I still ate what I thought I should eat rather then what I wanted to eat. For the past few days, I have eaten exactly what I wanted to eat, just limited it to one plate, no sweets and no seconds. I am enjoying my food and not obsessing about food. Part of my rules for myself will be never to eat something I don't want to eat b/c I think I should.

-Sweets make me hungrier so not having them is making me think less about them and not want to each as much if that makes sense.

-I am enjoying having a substantial breakfast. Before, it was just a pastry or bananna bread and I was hungry 2 hours later, but now I eat and am full and feel great until lunch.

-Protein makes all the difference. I am not talking about egg whites and skinless chicken, but sausage, eggs, pancakes, or toast in the morning, beef stew for dinner, turkey and cheese sandwich at lunch keeps me full.

Another day of success!

I wasn't going to weigh myself for a long time, but I have my 6 week checkup at the doctor's tomorrow and know I'm getting weighed. I think that no matter what it will be a success since I haven't weighed myself since I was pregnant.

Hugs to all!

MaryAnn

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:25 am

Part of my rules for myself will be never to eat something I don't want to eat b/c I think I should.

MaryAnn,

sounds like a keeper!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

tangotime

Post by tangotime » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:25 am

Well, at the doctors I weighed only five pounds more then before I got pregnant, so I am happy with that. I was afraid that if I didn't like the number, I would go off No S and go back to counting calories for a quick fix. Truth is, there is no quick fix. Still, after the doctor's I went to the store to stock up on yummy No S food. Out of habit, I kept reading the calorie counts. I need to stop that!

More success! I made a yummy vanilla rasin bread in the bread machine and ate it w/ peanut butter for breakfast, I had two slices of homemade pizza for lunch, and dinner was ribs, brocc, and buttered apples. Sound like a diet to you?

I'm liking this.

xoxo

MaryAnn

tangotime

Post by tangotime » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:33 pm

Did well yesterday. Resisted coconut cream pie for dessert but brought piece home and ate it today. So far, my S day is fine. Normal breakfast, munched on some grapes, normal lunch, had some coconut cream pie and gingerale, and am having a roast chicken dinner.

Funny, but I think I enjoy N days better. Perhaps I need the structure?

Starting to snow!

xoxo

MaryAnn

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:25 am

Looks great! Kudos to you for bringing that pie home and enjoying it later! :D I agree that N days are easier to navigate. I'm not quite sure what to do with S days yet either ... Have a nice rest-of-the-weekend. :)
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

tangotime

Post by tangotime » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:18 pm

Thanks, Sophia. You too :)

MaryAnn

tangotime

Post by tangotime » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:00 am

Well, I have decided to start ice skating again. I used to compete on a team and they want me back! I will skate at a competition at the end of January. which gives me very little time to get back into shape after having a baby. Again, its tempting to start a diet again, but I will not give. Doing very well on no S.

Starting to get into a habit. My S days were fine, but I think I like the N days better believe it or not.

xoxo

MaryAnn

tangotime

Post by tangotime » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:08 am

Today was pretty hectic. I was so busy in fact that I didn't get to lunch until 4pm. Can you believe I forgot to eat? Where is the real MaryAnn?

Have to take baby for her shots tomorrow. Already wondering how I will cope.

So far so good. Another good N day.

xoxo

tangotime

Post by tangotime » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:27 pm

Tempted to get on the scale, but I will resist. I am so tired. Trying to get baby to sleep in her crib. Will go to the gym today and run some errands.

Didn't like my dinner last night. It turned out differently then what I wanted it. Boy, did I want to cheat after that. I learned my lesson.

another successful N day. I think that makes 10. Half way there to the 21 day club!

xoxo

MaryAnn

tangotime

Post by tangotime » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:29 am

Hello at 5am! One of the joys of being a new mom :)

Doing pretty well. I will skate for the first time since being pregnant this weekend and am very excited.

A good N day. I never realized how much the munching and tasting really added up. When cleaning up dinner, I used to always mindless eat what was left on my husband's plate. Now I am aware. Thanks No S.

MaryAnn