Thomer's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

thomer

Thomer's check in

Post by thomer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:12 pm

Hey all, I'm new here, and I am loving this way of eating!

I started last Tuesday and I have found it insanely easy to avoid the S's.
I think it may be because I'm super busy getting ready for the holidays - not time to do anything. But I know that if I were not making a conscience effort, I probably would just think I'm hungry all day and be stuffing my face regardless.

I'm a wife and mom (almost 8 year old boy). I work part time and also homeschool my son, so I'm busy busy busy. NoS actually is helping because I don't have to spend all day scrounging the fridge because I think I'm hungry.

My first S days were a little idiotic - but I recognized immediately that the sugar was making me sick to my stomach. We don't normally have soda in the house but this past weekend we did and I kind of hoarded it :oops: But it's a new week.

I have not tried shovelglove yet - I have actually been shovelling since we're in the middle of a winter storm :wink: Maybe when the weather clears I'll head down to the Restore and scope out a sledgehammer. :)

Starting weight - 230
First week weight - 228

So, Hi y'all! :mrgreen:

thomer

Post by thomer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:17 pm

Monday, Dec 8 - Success! :mrgreen:

I'll typically be posting this the day after since I do most of my internetting in the morning.

Monday was super busy - I don't think I was home more than a half hour all day. I do know that if I were S-ing, I'd have run through McD's and/or scarfed down all kinds of junk.
So, it may not have been too healthy, or a bit too much food, but it's better than I would have done before!

Breakfast - Bagel with butter, apple with PB
Lunch - Spaghetti with 2 pc garlic bread (there may have been a bit of vertical stacking going on....)
Dinner - 4 pc frozen pizza

And, I'm thankful for the Everyday Systems Podcast which distracted me through an uncomfortable dentist visit! :P

la_loser

Welcome to No S!

Post by la_loser » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:19 pm

Hi Y'all to you too! Welcome to the No S community!

You're going to find a lot of support here to keep you going. Sounds as if you've already getting the concepts down pretty well.

As a transplanted Texan, I do appreciate the Hi Y'all!"
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

thomer

Post by thomer » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:47 pm

Tuesday, December 9 - Success! :mrgreen:

Breakfast - 2 pc frozen pizza, apple with peanut butter
Lunch - Bean and cheese quesadilla
Dinner - Roasted red pepper alfredo

I went to the chocolate shop for some Christmas gifts, and was not even tempted to buy a treat for myself. They did look good tho!

thomer

Post by thomer » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:30 pm

Wednesday, December 10 - Success! :mrgreen:

Breakfast - Egg sandwich, last bites of alfredo, banana
Lunch - Cheese sandwich, maple mustard brussel sprouts, pomello fruit
Dinner - Fried rice with tofu

thomer

Post by thomer » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:07 pm

Thursday December 11 NWS Day!! :D

Today was my son's adoption day - he's been officially ours for one whole year! :D :D :D I'm so proud of him and happy he's with us.
So we celebrated.

I had a normal three meals
Breakfast was leftover fried rice with tofu
Lunch was McD's salad and split a FF with DH (no soda!)
Dinner was 1 pepper and onion fajita

Then after dinner we had ice cream and a cookie, and then later we all had popcorn.

I could have done way worse -and had made up my mind to not splurge all day, but to just have things that were for the family celebration. It was all so tasty and worth every bite. :D

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:10 pm

Hi Thomer,
welcome and congratulations on your family day!. My daughter's adopted (she has just turned 8) and is the best thing that ever happened to me, so I know how you feel. :D
Good luck with your NoSing.
funfuture.

whisper2701

Post by whisper2701 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:43 pm

Congratulations on your son's adoption! That's just wonderful! Definitely a special day.

You are doing great!

Linda

thomer

Post by thomer » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:27 am

Friday December 12 - Success! :mrgreen:

Gosh I don't really remember what I ate tho. :roll:

Pizza for supper, I know that.
Obviously No S's.

Also, Friday is weigh day so...

Start weight - 230
Week 1 - 228
Week 2 - 225.5
:)

thomer

Post by thomer » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:28 am

Thanks for the adoption congratulations - he sure is a joy in our lives. (except today when he threw the PS controller across the room :roll: )

He turns 8 too - next Sunday, so all this holiday stuff in a row is definitely busy.

thomer

Post by thomer » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:00 pm

Weekend update - S days :D :D

Did okay. Saturday involved a lot of coffee - which I limit to S days because I like tons of sugar in it.

Sunday I had a party so there were lots of goodies, but I didn't snack too much.

Also, DH brought home some Candy Cane Joe-joes from Trader Joes - they're Oreos with candy canes in the cream 8) I had a few too many of those, and now the true test is avoiding them until next Saturday :? They're waiting for me in the freezer. We'll see about that...

thomer

Post by thomer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:29 pm

Monday, December 15 Success :mrgreen:

Breakfast - Yogurt with granola, toast with butter
Lunch - Ramen and cheezy puffs
Dinner - Cheese sandwich, grapes, and cheezy puffs

I know the cheezypuffs are not exactly healthy, but I couldn't resist when we went grocery shopping. But, usually I hide in my office and hoard the whole bag by myself (and then feel sick) but this time I was able to share, and ration them out to a small handfull at lunch and dinner. So that was good.
Also, DH offered my a candy cane cookie and stuck it right in my face (he forgot) but I resisted! I also asked him nicely to save me some for Saturday. :)
So a good day.

whisper2701

Post by whisper2701 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:33 pm

WAY TO GO! If you ask me, resisting a candy bar stuck in your face is a big deal!

Linda :D

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:40 pm

Welcome! And belated congratulations on you son's first anniversary of the adoption. What a delight!

I'm a homeschooling mom too! And Resting on here has homeschooled, as well. She's done now though & some days I'm absolutely jealous! I've homeschooled forever. Our oldest is graduation from high school in June and he's never done public school....he's such a social misfit :lol: . Okay...that definitely was a joke...he's great & I'm so thankful to have him as my son. Our next oldest is in 9th grade at a public school this year, our 13-year old son is in 8th grade at home and just so that we'll continue homeschooling for years to come, we have a 3-year old daughter! Our life is full, but fun!

I've been on this plan since the end of July and will NEVER go back to dieting again. This is absolutely the way to eat. It's just plain so NORMAL!

So glad you're here....if you haven't read Richard's book, it's well-worth reading. Mine is underlined & dog-earred and every time I pick it up I find myself ready to conquer another day.

Welcome again...janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

thomer

Post by thomer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:12 pm

Yeah we've only done one term of homeschool so far. DS has never been to school either - he didn't have any in Russia. Right now we're on winter break, and I'm psyching myself up to start again in January. I like it - it's fun - I get to spend time with my boy and see him learn so much. He has come super far in the year we've had him.
Last edited by thomer on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomer

Post by thomer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:17 pm

Tuesday, December 16 - Success! :mrgreen:

Breakfast - Egg sandwich and apple with peanut butter
Lunch - Quesadilla and grapes
Dinner - Lentil dumpling soup and cheezy puffs.

I will no doubt eat those cheezy puffs every day until they are gone - I just can't resist them! Maybe next week I will look the other way when I'm at the grocery.

DH brought home some holdiay candy from work yesterday, so I put some in a small container and am saving it until Saturday.

I have been dreaming about cheating - :lol: I dreamt last night that I was at a restaurant and had some soda, and then decided I'd take a red day for it. This morning I had to think if it were true or not - I was kind of mad at myself! :lol:

Doin' well so far tho :) Almost hit 21 days!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:14 pm

You're almost to 21 days! Good for you!

If you ever want to talk homeschooling, just PM me....I've used a lot of different curriculum over the years...some with good results, some I just threw out....overall though it's been a great journey for us all. The only reason we put one in public school this year is because he's really good at baseball and he can't play any more in the summers...he needs to be on the JV high school team. He's doing well though & it's nice to only have two to school at home right now.

Good job on nearing 21 days! You're doing great!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

thomer

Post by thomer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:39 pm

Wednesday - December 17 Success! :mrgreen:

Breakfast - Lentil dumpling soup, cheezy puffs
Lunch - Macaroni and cheese, carrots and dip, apple wedges
Dinner - 2 bean and pepper fajitas, tortilla chips

thomer

Post by thomer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Thursday, December 18 - Success! :mrgreen:

Breakfast - Macaroni, toast, and cheezy puffs (the last of them)
Lunch - Bean and cheese quesadilla
Dinner - BK veggie burger and fries, and an apple juice

DH and I got into a big fight last night and all I wanted to do this morning is stuff my face and feel sorry for myself. It was totally my fault too, so I feel like a big fat jerk.
Then I weighed this morning and was up a 1/2 lb. from last week
I won't see him until noon, so hopefully by then we'll both be feeling better. :cry:

Added later:
So I made it through. I think Thursday was a big horemone day, in addition to fighting with DH - all I wanted to do was curl up with a movie and a pint of chocolate ice cream. But I kept busy and tried to not laze around too much - and when I was sitting, I was frantically knitting a Christmas gift - so no room for snacking :lol:

Also, we went to the store and some nice ladies were handing out homemade cookies to the kids - and their moms. Eeek! But I dutifully put mine in my pocket and put it aside for DS to eat later - although if he forgets and it's still sitting on the counter on Saturday, it's fair game :wink:

thomer

Post by thomer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:06 pm

Friday December 19 - TBD

Breakfast - Lentil dumpling soup and an apple with peanut butter

Tonight is my DH's staff Christmas party. But thankfully we're going to a restaurant and not someone's house where the buffet table might be too much. I thought about taking an NWS day today, but I looked at the restaurant menu and didn't see any desserts or foods that jumped out at me as being extra special or tasty so I am going to stick to my one plate and be happy with that :)

Saturday we're making Christmas truffles, so all bets are off :wink:

Aaaand, Friday is weigh day, so here's the stats
Start weight - 230
Week 3 weight - 225
:mrgreen:

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:07 pm

I thought about taking an NWS day today, but I looked at the restaurant menu and didn't see any desserts or foods that jumped out at me as being extra special or tasty so I am going to stick to my one plate and be happy with that
Thomer,

great stategy!

Hope you had fun at the party and ENJOY those TRUFFLES!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

thomer

Post by thomer » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:09 am

Friday - Sucess! :mrgreen:

The party was cancelled so we just had pizza at home.

It was cancelled b/c DH's boss was sick and it was their party - plus the weather here is awful! I'm getting lots of exercise shovelling.

So Saturday I made candy - I couldn't taste test too much because it was giving me sugar rush and they were really rich.

And Sunday was DS's birthday - so cake, chips, soda..... :oops: I'm thankful tomorrow is Monday!

thomer

Post by thomer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:02 pm

When we last left thomer, she was embarking on a Christmas journey of chocolate doom.....

Seriously, my stocking was filled with chocolate. And it's finally gone. I had some yummy red days in there :oops:
But Monday was a new week and I feel great (well after the caffiene withdrawl went away)

I think I will only be updating this once per week or so - I'm lazy like that so on Friday I'll write about the week and post my current weight. Or whenever I get a revelation or something :wink:

thomer

Post by thomer » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:45 pm

Well, it seems the revelation is - if I don't post on here daily, I don't follow the plan. So I'm back for a daily update.

Monday - Success! :mrgreen:
Breakfast - Toast and a strawberry/banana smoothie
Lunch - Chili and an apple with PB
Dinner - Butternut Squash soup with crutons

I also started shovelgloving yesterday. I got the hammer a couple of weeks ago from my dad (free - yay!) and even added a Habitcal, but yesterday I decided to actually do it daily - for real. The hammer was a little heavy - I think it is 8 or 10 lbs or more even and I only made it 10 minutes. And afterward I laid on the bed and fell asleep for the night - only at 6 PM :? I guess yesterday wasn't the best day - maybe I just wanted it to be over. :wink:

I went to the Dr. yesterday - just for a checkup, but I did tell him I've been having some weird symptoms lately - specifically *everything* on the symptom list for hypothyroid - even things that had nothing to do with being overweight - like my hair falling out. He agreed to a blood test, but blew me off saying I needed to exercise more and what I was feeling was normal :( Thanks a lot, doctor. I know I'm not feeling normal. I do think I have a thyroid problem. I also think that NoS can help with it, that's partially why I'm here. So that was depressing. But my BP was awesome so that was nice :P
So this morning I was still a little depressed and then I decided to forget about it and start over today. Screw you, dr. If you can't help me, I'll do it myself. :evil:

thomer

Post by thomer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:15 pm

Tuesday
NoS - Success :mrgreen:
Shovelglove - Success! :mrgreen:

I made it the whole 14 minutes yesterday :) and I weighed my S-glove which is 9 lbs. I have to hold it pretty far up the handle otherwise it's too heavy. I'm looking forward to changing that :wink:

Tuesday eats:
Breakfast - oatmeal and toast
Lunch - salad and pancakes (odd combo, I know :P )
Dinner - Veggie stuffed cabbage rolls and bread

I was super hungry when I went to bed, but it wasn't the munchy kind of hungry - just my stomach was making a lot of noise. But I was up past my bed time - maybe that's why. I resisted the snack, anyway, and went to bed instead. So a good day all around :)

thomer

Post by thomer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Wednesday -
NoS - Success :mrgreen:

A good day yesterday. :)

Breakfast - toast and a strawberry/banana smoothie
Lunch - Cheese sandwich, fried potatoes, and part of an apple
Dinner - Tacos and beans and rice

DS and I had fun laughing at the cat because he kept pawing at the sledgehammer when I'd swing it near him. Don't worry, I stayed far enough away. :P Also shugging is good for the kids imagination because we talked about all the places I rowed to and how I was chopping down a tree to build a fire. I also beat up a picture of a bad guy. It was great fun.

Also, for the first time yesterday, I stopped myself before I cleaned my plate! I wasn't hungry and it didn't taste that great anyway. So, even though it was only a few slices of apple, I put it in a container in the fridge for later. :) No longer a member of the clean plate club!

Someone brought sweets to my sign social last night too and I dutifully avoided them, even though they were right under my nose and smelled so good. My mouth is watering even now. But I was good 8)

I am feeling so good this week - I'm kind of afraid for the weekend to come. Maybe I can be sane for once - we'll see.

thomer

Post by thomer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:18 pm

Thursday
NoS - Success! :mrgreen:

Ate...
Breakfast - Oatmeal and toast
Lunch - Rice and beans and a piece of bread
Dinner - Tomato soup and grilled cheese

I feel stronger and better about myself. I feel less squishy, I think, but the scale on my weigh-in this morning said I was 228 which is only down 2 from starting in mid December (but down 1 since my horendous last week). It must be all that awesome muscle I'm building swinging that hammer around. :lol:

Yesterday I was thinking - I think if I felt this good but stayed at this weight, I'd be okay. I don't think I'd want to be skinny and be a depressed nutcase like I was before.

As I'm writing this, it's Friday and tomorrow is an S day. I'm going to try my hardest to avoid the coffee and the soda, since I think those things were most leading to my demise - I see so many problems clear up when I avoid them. Just because it's an S day doesn't mean I can compromise my health and use it as an excuse to be bad to myself. I should take the S days to reward myself, not psuedo-reward myself with things that will ultimately hurt me. :idea:
So we'll see how it goes. :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:06 pm

Try and think of a few S's you know you really will enjoy and only get them.
Congratulations on your great week!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

thomer

Post by thomer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Friday
NoS - Success! :mrgreen:
Shovelglove - Fail :oops:

Friday we had a special dinner, so I had a small piece of dessert and didn't count it atainst me. I have a personal goal to make 3-course meals from 30 different countries, and Friday was France. So we had bread and cheese and soup and wine, and a small piece of rhubarb tart. It doesn't happen very often so I just enjoyed it and didn't worry. Although I was very stuffed after all that good French food!
Also, I was so busy cooking and running errands, I totally forgot about shugging until it was too late. Oh well :/

The weekend was pretty good. I didn't pig out too much, pretty much due to not really any junk food in the house. We did go out to a restaurant and I did have soda, but I didn't have any coffee, even though it was all I could do to avoid it! I'm lucky it was so cold - I was too freezing to leave the house for Starbucks. :lol: I went out for coffee with a friend on Sunday and had hot chocolate instead, but even the sugar in that made me a little loopy.

Today (Monday) we have to go out of town, so I know we're going to be restaurant-ing. I will not drink soda. The tough part is - we'll be at the restaurant about 2 PM, so do I skip lunch and eat later? Or do I eat lunch before we go and skip dinner. Hmmm. I think I'd rather skip lunch and then enjoy the restaurant. Then I can have a small dinner later in the evening.
I'll let you all know tomorrow how it went. :wink: