SHAMROCKMOMMY's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

FarmerHal

SHAMROCKMOMMY's Check In

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:21 am

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1727
A link to my previous check in with Hilary. :( She has not checked in for a long time and I thought I would just start up another for my lonesome :)

Hilary, if you're out there, I miss ya!

Yesterday was a green day. It seems I can't let go of "tea" time, an afternoon very light meal/snack. It really helps, like I've said before with the "last supper" attitude, by the time I get to supper, I eat heaping amounts that I know would feed 2 or 3 people! I think the calories alone from that negates the tea time.

So that's still it, 3 meals and a tea time.

Today I got in a short but fast walk returning a neighborhood dog to his house. He's a medium sized pitbull/husky mix, really really delightful boy, and it was nice to have a walking buddy that didn't poop out on me. My minpin is older now, he hates to admit it, as do I, but he just can't go very far without suffering in pain for days afterward. He's on pain meds.

My bichon girls- one hates to go for a walk, and the other loves it, but is pokey, so I can't do a brisk walk. And forget about hot weather with all that fluff, she really poops out.
I'd love to have a bigger walkin' dog, but I have to think about priorities at this point. I think it would be best to wait until we're down to 1 dog again before getting another. And then, lesson learned- don't get them so close in age, as they all start to peter out!

Anyway, that's about it. I switched my e-mealz to the lowcarb walmart plan. That will definitely improve the quality of the meals. I was on the regular plan and it was really carby and made with a lot of processed soups and whatnot.

So I'm here, I'm checking in. 3 out of 5 green days this week.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

starflower

Post by starflower » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:40 am

Hi Tiffani,

Welcome to your check in all by your lonesome :( . I had to say "Hi" because I have a Bichon too - he's 8 years old and loves to walk. In fact, he demands 2 walks a day, but he'll fall over on his side in hot summer days! Sorry to hear your minipin is longing for his younger days, (aren't we all).

Congrats on your 3 out of 5! Have a great "S"unday!

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:28 pm

Alright, monday morning!

B'fast was weird, a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch and 2 small potato rolls with butter. Odd, but b'fast it was.

Lunch? Not sure.

Yesterday I ran a 5K around the neighborhood for my cross fit.

Going to do today's xfit tonight, as I have to to take Darby the bichon to the vet with a classic case of GARBAGE GUT and I sure hope she hasn't developed a blockage. She's in a lot of pain, poor thing.
Ugh.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:01 pm

Phew!! What a morning. I cleaned the upstairs, middle level and basement of the house, including dusting, bathrooms top to bottom, floors on my hands and knees. Cleaned the kitchen, even the laundry room! I have about 3 loads of laundry left and then the entire house will be cleaned. I vacuumed everything, stairs, baseboards, everything.

GOt the cleaning but, I guess!
B: started with oatmeal/almonds/dates/honey but it didn't taste very good so I opted for a bagle/cream cheese.
L: sourcream chicken breast, potato roll with butter.

Need to get some water down. Had 2 coffees/creamer.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:11 pm

:oops: I am failing MYSELF by ignoring the fact that watching what I eat and staying active is the lifestyle I HAVE to live, or face fact hat I will be 300 pounds soon enough!
I'd have to go back and see how long it's been since I got down to 209 pounds. See, I was SO close, 10 more pounds to being UNDER 200!

I'm 225 this morning. :(

I am so sad and disappointed with myself.
Yes, life's being crazy right now and Yes, it's about to get crazier, but holy crap, Im up a good 15 pounds by now.

I've been spending most of my day in loose pajamas so that I dont' really have to be aware of my growing girth.

If I got dressed it was in yoga pants and an enormous tshirt. I wouldn't have to actually feel what I know- I'm gaining.

"Meals" I've extended so that I spend most of my day wandering in and out of the kitchen, justifying it to myself that it would have fit on the last plate, or it will go on the next one, I'll just subtract it off the next (not!).

I'm sad and disappointed!!!!
WHY do I keep doing this to myself? I am so embarrassed that I can't stand dh to see me naked (crap, we shower together every night) and I suck my gut in as hard as I can and I'm still rolls and blobs and so ugly.
:( He's so good to me, and he loves me so much, he deserves so much better!

So I guess I'm really having a MOMENT here!

Here's what I need to do:
3 meals, ONE PLATE, sensible portions (have to think about it the way I manage the dogs' weight- they are mostly sedentary, so am I and I reduce portions accordingly..). I have to NOT snack and NO sweets (yes, those chocolate kisses in the freezer are for the kids, not me!)

Snacking will not make my boredom or frustration go away, they only make things worse by adding guilt and disgust.

Sometimes it's ok to be a little hungry. It's just a feeling anyway, not life or death.

1. ONE PLATE
2. SENSIBLE PORTIONS
3. NO SNACKING BETWEEN MEALS (NO VIRTUAL PLATING)
4. NO SWEETS EXCEPT S DAYS AND THEN ONLY ONE PORTION!!
5. SNACKING WON'T HELP ALTER FEELINGS- ONLY FOR A MOMENT

If I were an alcoholic, I'd probably be a very dangerous person, trying to function with an addiction.

SO I've made this very long.
I had b'fast which was a toaster waffle and half a loaf of apricot/pecan filled sweet bread :oops:

Then I went to put on a pair of my previously loose and comfy size 18 jeans and talk about muffin top. The pants are tight from waist to knees :(

What have I gone and undone??!!
I have GOT to get control of myself!

:(

Next meal: a sensible lunch!!

WATER WATER WATER

Might try gum again too.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

la_loser

Breath in, breath out. . . !

Post by la_loser » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:53 pm

Aw Tiffani--I feel for you. I felt out of breath just reading your posts. You have so much going on right now with all the impending changes and emotional things to deal with that it's no surprise that you're frustrated. After all, the last time you checked you were still human, right!? Your reference to an addiction made me think of something that always comes with taking control of any addiction-or anything else we want to change and that is to recognize the issue and acknowledge -- or in Dr. Phil's words--"you can't change what you don't acknowledge" so you're already part way there. You are acknowledging this. . . what makes ME sad about it is that you're beating yourself up so much about it. You deserve to be kind to yourself! You wouldn't dare say all those things about someone else-so try not to say them to yourself. Like a sort of "Golden Rule" for treating YOURSELF nice. You owe it to yourself (and it turn the favor will trickle to your loved loves by default!) to treat yourself like the queen you are!

As KCCC put in a post just a few days ago. . . thanks KCCC, I'm stealing your quote but I think it's appropriate today, not just for Tiff, but for all of us who are facing now week of weeks for not being idiots! I know I'm trying to remember to follow this so that maybe I'm still sane on January 1! (yeah, I know-implication that I'm sane now might be doubtful!)

From KCCC
I am writing the wonderful advice of Thich Nhat Hanh - "Smile, breathe, and go slowly" - at the top of my to-do list each day. It helps tremendously.
Hang in there-we're pulling for you.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:03 am

LALoser, I'm glad that line helped someone else other than me!

Tiffani, my other patented line is "be gentle with yourself." Please do. It has taken me a long time to learn to do that, and one of the surprising findings is not only is it a more healthy stance BUT IT ACTUALLY WORKS BETTER. Yup, counter-intuitive as it seems, "continuing the beatings until morale improves" does NOT work. Beating yourself up does not help. What did RE say... use your energy for future action, not to beat up your past self, which is a form of bullying. (That really struck me, btw, though I'm sure I've not quoted accurately.)

Imagine the part of you that wants to eat, that resists No-S, as an unhappy child, and gently ask "what's going on, honey?" (Yes, "honey" - and the same voice you'd use for a real child that had been mistreated in some way, whose trust you were trying to win.) Then listen. And be gentle.

You have so much going on in your life, and (like me) a history of using food for comfort. It's not surprising that you need it now. Don't blame yourself - just look for multiple ways to be nice to yourself. Because when you have other sources of comfort, food will stop being such a focus.

(And it's okay to plan "special N-legal food" to make life more pleasant. That's my own holiday strategy!)

Very best wishes!

KCCC

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:57 pm

LA Loser and KCCC, your replies have brought so much peace and comfort to me- Thank You.
Sometimes things get overwhelming and it all piles up and then the self bullying starts- that's a very good way of looking at it.

I shared with DH how I'm feeling about everything and it was nice to hear he understands and feels the same way.

Anyway, short note, need to make lunch quick, but Merry Christmas and thank you both, again!

I do need to find some other way to calm/comfort myself other than food, that's for sure!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:34 pm

Kindof a crazy (foodwise) Christmas week. Neighbors, sweet as they are, brought over sweet breads with fruit-nut fillings, delicious cookies and that's on top of the sugar cookies the kids and I made for Santa! Plus the snowman shaped ice cream cake.

My weight this morning: 225.5. Ugh.

Going to have a green day if it kills me!! I have some gum now, and I did chew that between meals this weekend, which kept me from snacking.

B'fast: bagel with cream cheese, canadian bacon and an egg.

Need to cut beef out of my diet again. Had asian beef strips (from e-mealz) last night and joint pain kept me up all night. My wrist and even the tendons from my hip to inner thighs are inflamed and painful.
I read that the proteins from beef are difficult to digest into the required tiny elements and then the gut leaks the larger proteins out which causes painful inflammation in joints/tissues. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia but have had relatively no pain since I cut beef out.

I notice that my acanthoisis nigricans is gettingworse, suppose from all the sweets. I worry about burning out my pancreas and really need to get ahold of myself. With sweets, once I start eating them it's hard to stop.

Well that's it. Hoping for a green day, 3 meals! I really don't need that afternoon meal, its an excuse to just eat something. It's entertainment.

Best wishes for green days for all!!

Wanted to add, in respect for this last year's gain of 15 pounds ugh! I would like to get to 199 by Dec. 31 2009. That's just 2 pounds a month.
I cannot outgrow my clothes, as I've already gotten rid of the size 20 and 22 pants and 2xl shirts! There's no room for growth!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:56 pm

Tiffani...

Just popping in to give you a cyber hug. I'm sorry you're struggling...I really am. What you're trying to accomplish is just plain hard...if this whole adventure was easy we'd all be thin! I agree with what's already been written...be kind to yourself! We're sooooo much harder on ourselves than we are on others.

Hugs to you....janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:07 pm

Well, still here into my 3rd year now!
Today I weigh 224. Very disappointing, but doable.

Just ran my mile. I kindof came up with an idea of running just one mile in the mornings every day except Sunday. It takes less than 15 minutes, breaks up the morning for me, I just wander around the house looking for stuff to do anyway.

I am going to keep my habitcal updated and try for a lot of green this month. THe last several months have been mostly red days, unfortunately. and much of that is because I was EMOTIONALLY hungry.

We move to SD end of the month, and Jess gets to stay one month with us before leaving for 13 months. :( There are so many things going through my mind, unrelated to food/diet. But my diet is so important because I know how quickly my body wants to put on weight. I have a lot of joint pain/discomfort, and I'm sure having a good 50lbs extra on is not helping things any. When I wake up I feel 80, I swear.

All the static in my head: is the day we take Daddy to the airport to leave going to go ok? Are the kids going to truly understand he's leaving for a long, long time? Am I going to lose it in front of everyone? Is any of our family going to accompany us or do we do it by ourselves? Are the kids going to adjust ok once Daddy's gone? Is Noah going to be angry? Sad? Okay? He loves his daddy.

Am I going to be ok? Would have loved to go off my a/d's but not sure if that's a good idea till he's home again. Will we have good phone communication? Will I be able to figure out skype? We are trying to stay on budget and get out of debt, will I screw that up completely. What if I do something completely stupid?
What if he gets hurt over there? What if he dies? I have talked to a couple of ladies who are moms in Noah's preschool class who have gone through long deployments before and they say just do your best to stay positive. If you are calm and happy, then the deployment will be. If you're freaked out and depressed, then the deployment takes that much longer.

I am trying to stay positive, but I have a lot of fears which eeks down to emotional hunger. Not physical "my stomach is empty" hunger but I am scared poopless hunger, lets think about how tasty chocolate is, how nice the texture of a ritz cracker feels in my mouth. That's about it.

Calm state of mind. Positive state of mind. Staying on track with a vanilla noS plan will definitely help keep a constant in my life.

This next year I will concentrate on having fun with the kids. If they want to play play-doh for 2 hours, we play playdoh for 2 hours.

Anyway, there's more in my head- what is best for Noah for Kindergarten? One year in SD, should I just homeschool him (saving gas/money on driving, school lunch, shoes, clothes, etc) or just enroll in school (the one I'd choose is 11 miles away).

Yadda yadda. Lots of things going on.

Today's b'fast was strange, but using up stuff we have on hand:
3 potato rolls with butter, coffee/creamer.

Ran 1 mile on the treadmill.
That's it. As much as it sounds like I might be freaking out, I really am not, it's just all the static in my head...
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:31 am

Tiffani....

I wish I could send a real hug to you...there's so much going on in your life that's stressful...if I could I'd show up on your doorstep with flowers and we'd take a walk in the sunshine...if we could FIND some sunshine!

I can't imagine just having a month before you send off your husband. I'm sorry you have to anticipate that and then go through it.

I've homeschooled by boys forever...my oldest is going to college next year & I haven't even STARTED formally teaching my 3-year old! It's been a great choice for us...but all-consuming in the higher grades. If you decide to homeschool for kindergarten for this coming year, PM me. Kindergarten is a breeze and I might even have some books you could have. I know I won't be using everything I have & I'd be happy to send them to you. The whole year is mainly a lot of play and some numbers & letters thrown in. Also, the library systems are so good these days, and they have wonderful DVDs on various science topics. I've gotten some great ones on bugs & volcanos & the human body...for Izzy's age (3)...she loves them & she's already learning things that would count for kindergarten. If you want to PM about it, I'd be happy respond. I'm not trying to convince you 'cause only you will know what is best for you and for your son, but one thing to think about is this...getting him to school & back on a daily basis, and getting his lunch ready, etc. will most likely be more stressful than just keeping him home & adding a bit more learning into the day. And, the most beneficial thing I think we've gotten out of homeschooling is that I retained the authority in my kids' lives. We're not a perfect family, by any means, but I have three teen boys who still talk to us & laugh with us & listen to us. Oops....I didn't mean to go on & on...sorry about that! You have enough to think about without me blabbing on my homeschool soapbox! Again, you're the only one who'll know if it's right for you....I just wanted to let you know I'd be happy to help if you'd like it.

Hang in there Tiffani....you're in a huge period of stress....so be as nice to you as you would be to someone else in the same situation. Sometimes we're hardest on ourselves!

Hugs to you...janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:54 pm

Well on the positive side, yesterday I ran my mile.

I totally bombed on the eating. Anxiety and emotion overruled my common sense (food is not going to solve a thing!!) Meals got extended and doubled and I had half a bag of chips.

New day, again.

Off to mark the habit cal. Going to try to chew gum for that 'soothing' chewing behavior I'm looking for (i guess!?)

B'fast was turkey/egg/cream cheese bagel.
Coffee/cream
water with vitamin and 2000mg fish oil

Lunch; grilled cheese and chicken/rice soup.

There were some nail biting (gum chewing!!) moments there for a bit LOL, but I made it to lunch!
Another failure today.

Afternoon, rainy and cold, both kids and mom bored, we ate. :(

Dinner though was shrimp and a cauliflower dish

Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:40 pm

Good morning!!
B'fast was egg/soysage/crm cheese bagel (my fav go-to b'fast)
Coffe/creamer just now.

Went to a dr. appt and was a bit disappointed in her assumptions about my weight gain and diet, but I suppose this truly is the stereotype of what she sees as far as overweight/obese in the clinic. She gave me advice on what to eat at mcd's (I hate mcds and rarely eat out anymore- just can't afford it!) and when I told her about noS diet, she reminded me to eat something between meals to "keep your bloodsugar up." Ugh.
That's the issue!! Snacking!

Bleh. I WILL have a green day today. I WILL have a green day today!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:48 pm

I did have a GREEN day yesterday!! Success at last!

Not feeling guilt for allowing a mini meal was the key.
My minimeal was cashews and dried fruit in a small bowl.
It helped me make it to supper and the bonus was I didn't overdo on portions and totally stuff myself or continue grazing afterwards.

I didn't get a jog in but that's ok. One thing at a time.

B'fast is the usual b'fast bagel.
I'm OUT OF COFFEE AAAUUUUGGGHHH!! :shock:

Shall have to get some!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:16 pm

:)

i'm baaaa-aack!

Sorry to here things are so stressful lately, and that you've put on a bit of weight. In your shoes, I've no doubt I would do the SAME or worse.{{{HUGS!}}}

And congrats on your green day!! YAH!!

I checked in on our previous thread too, just wanted to let you know i'm thinking of you and trying to get back into it, too!

I have to get myself in gear now-need to exercise, feed the kids and myself, clean up and take Jack to the dentist. A very busy day ahead! I want to make some home-made soup too, if I can squeeze that in :wink:Talk later!
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:55 pm

Congrats on your green day.

Marjolein

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:38 pm

Thanks, Marjolean.

Yesterday was green also :) See, I can do it! Allowing permission and no guilt for an afternoon minimeal seems to do the trick. Yesterdays MM was simply a hard boiled egg and coffee.

B'fast was a hb egg and bagel/crm cheese with coffee.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:11 am

WooHoo! A GREEN MONDAY :)

Nuf' said!!

Allowing myself an afternoon minimeal has greatly in creased my success, I'm thankful for letting go of the 'guilt' for eating in the middle of the day.

It's a small thing, and it sustains me through supper.
Today it was just a small bowl of granola cereal.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Spook

Post by Spook » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:01 am

Well done! I think that's really sensible.

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:43 pm

I am glad this works for you. I eat more then 3 meals a day also and feel great about it.

Marjolein

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:58 pm

Ugh. 226.5. I'm going up. Up. Up.

Yesterday I used fitday.com to count my calories and I didn't restrict my meals- just ate regular nos with a minimeal in the afternoon and the calories are up over 2500, which is probably WAY more than I need.

And every day I get on the scale and it goes Up. and Up. and Up. <sigh>

It comes down to exercise, I guess. That first summer I lost a lot of weight it was because we were riding bikes all the time, all over town. Now I hardly do much outside of the house, I have a treadmill but I barely use it.

Skipped b'fast today because 1. I generally am not that hungry in teh mornings and 2. Maybe the calorie cuts will help me at least maintain my weight instead of gain!

I don't have any clothes to 'grow' into, as I threw out all my size 22's and have only one size 20 left, so I have to be able to get into my size 18 pants and my 1x shirts!

Geez.
I am just at a loss for words with the disappointment in myself.
Maybe when we get moved and all our stuff in our new house, maybe I'll get it in gear.

Meanwhile, Noah has preschool MWF, and today he was terribly tearful about going and asked that I have his daddy pick him up. We've been trying to explain to him and his sister (4 and 2) about his daddy going on a long trip, but I don' tthink either of them quite grasp that he'll be gone for a YEAR and a month. 397 days. Ugh. I just. I have no words.
And I can't say "woe is me" because so many other families are going through this. And I can't live the negative feelings I have about Jess deploying half a world away and will he be ok and will our kids b ok because that will just make those 397 days that much longer.

Oh man.

<sigh> :oops:
:roll:
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:13 pm

oh, Tiffani. {{{{HUUUGS!}}}}}

I'm so sorry you are going through such a tough time~you *and* your family! I can't imagine how hard it will be for the kids (and of course that makes it all the harder for you!) to be without Daddy for so long. And for you too, that goes without saying! I know I can't make it better, but just say, hang in there! I'm thinking of you and wishing you well. I'll keep you and Jesse and the kids in my prayers.

No-S will work if we work it, right? so just do the best you can, we can only expect so much from ourselves~ keep on trying!

I'll check our other checkin too 8)
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:07 am

((Hugs))
Practice small steps. One moment at a time. That is the only way I can get through it sometimes. I am back in this now and I am starting slowly to change my habits back to healthy. When I move too quickly, my fat butt sneaks up on me & tricks me into eating poorly! lol Just teasing.... But, I know practice makes perfect and 21 days makes a habit. Feel free to lean on this imperfect soul anytime you need to.
socalchristi @ hotmail.com
Good luck girlie!
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:49 pm

Thanks, Hilary and Christie.

I just was so down in the dumps yesterday. And, you're right, Christie, one day at a time.

This time next week, the house will be mostly empty! I can't wait to get on the road...

Anyway, thanks you girls for the great support!
Talk soon
Tiffani
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:48 pm

Long time since I posted last to my check in but here I am and I think, ready and able to commit again.

I have gained up to 233 now, up from 206, which I worked very hard to get to. I would just LOVE to get under 200 and STAY there!!

Currently 227. I am trying not to focus on numbers, all it takes is a glance in the mirror to see that I'm very overweight (obese). Who really needs a scale for that? Except to make sure it's not going UP anymore!!

I have GOT to stick to my 3 meals/1 plate, no snacks/sweets today!! GOT to!

I hate that this has been lifelong for me. Some sort of diet since the 2nd grade, it's ridiculous. I hate that I like food so much. I hate that I turn to it for entertainment, comfort. Bleh.

Wish I liked exercising more, but I just don't.

Anyway, there's the update.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:41 pm

Alright. Breakfast:
oatmeal with milk and honey, nuked in the microwave (can you say "fiber!")

Glass of V8 fusion oj. can't make up my mind if I like this stuff or not!

I "feel" hungry. I've always thought I really am not all that hungry in th morning, but once I start to eat, I find it pretty difficult to stop!
I am going to make friends with hungry again, and think of it as just digestion.

:roll:
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:15 am

Well, I just keep screwing it up.

I think it's my weak willpower and just the circumstances making it so.

I am up to 227 lbs. I would just love to be under 200 and be able to stay there w/out gaining and gaining.

This just is poopy.

I'm eating out of stress, bordom, lonliness, worry, fatigue. I eat the sweets whenever available and lots of them because it tastes/feels good. I hate taht only 3 weeks out of 13 month deployment has gone by. I feel like I'll be up over 250 by the time that's all over with.
My 2 kids are sweet, funny, smart, wild and loud. Those last 2 really get me, and their manners around family fall short, which is embarrassing ot say the least.

Anyway, I did fitday.com today and logged calories, I ate almost 3000 calories. I had 8 chocolate chip cookies- homemade. they tasted so good!
I had seconds with lunch and dinner

Bleh.

I go on looking for diet solutions, something quick and effective, and once you've known the nos diet, nothing else seems intelligent. if I could just STICk with it!! And no seconds, sweets, snacking. Reasonable portions. Exercise once in a while. Eat healthful foods. Duh.

Ok, so after all that lamenting, tomorrow I will try to dig deep down and find my willpower. I will say no to the big S's.

I did this successfully once before and dropped 39 pounds, I htink it was. I've gained back about 20 of it now.

here I go, trying for another 21 days!!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:30 pm

I read your blogs, and all I can think is this: "Whoever said that obese people don't have willpower?"

It seems to me that you have a lot of willpower. You have two small children, a husband being deployed, and a new location. You have a lot on your plate. While the preschool years are wonderful, and I do miss them, they are a lot harder than the years the children are in school.

Be gentle with yourself. You are pushing yourself to do a lot more than No S: "Reasonable portions. Exercise once in a while. Eat healthful foods."

Your story reminds me of the saying, "The good is often the enemy of the best." If you try to make all these changes, you're more likely to fail than if you just focus on the NoS Diet. Even if the No S Diet is too hard, focus on just one of the three guidelines (no snacks OR no sweets OR no seconds) until you get that down pat. I have been successful on this diet but in no way would someone look at my meals and say they are always reasonable portions. For several weeks when I first started, I had an entire bowl of popcorn along with my meal. My rule for myself today is not that the meal fits on one plate but that all the food I am going to eat is before me before I take one bite.

The key to this diet being easy is making it into a habit that is so ingrained that it is as difficult as brushing your teeth or washing your hands after you use the bathroom. Do you wake up every morning and decide whether or not to brush your teeth? No. That's the key.

There's so much more to life than what goes in your mouth, and you'll be doing double duty in parenting for over a year. You could even try starting with no sweets during the week for an entire month and then add no snacks and then add no seconds. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you are WAY TOO HARD ON YOURSELF. Give yourself a break!

Kathleen

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:56 pm

Thank you, Kathleen.

I guess I am too hard on myself, but I am creeping up in weight and growing right back out of my clothes again, and I don't want to go out and purchase xxl shirts and size 20/22 pants again. :(

For now I will concentrate on just 'vanilla' nos, my 3 plates all the food before me before I take one bite, just as you said.

These preschool years do seem quite hard. Not to be a whiner but they require near constant attention/supervision. They're always getting into things.

And yesterday we were cooped up inside because of the very cold weather (is it spring YET!) and the kids both were just screaming and bouncing off the furniture- literally. I felt like a referee all day! And just the noise level from them screaming and screeching had me exhausted with a headache. Some days they seem so out of control, it's embarrassing.

Bedtime with the 2 yr old is especially a challenge, as she makes sure to scream and screech some more, get out of bed many times and throw in some unreasonable crying for good measure. I have to say I loathe bedtime.

:(

And we're only 3 weeks into this deployment, although I refuse to do the whole 'poor me' routine because many families are on the 3rd or 4th year-long deployment (I just cannot imagine!).

Ok, won't be so hard on myself, will stick to just vanilla noS. Phew!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:30 pm

I now work half time and we have four kids being run around to all sorts of activities.

That is not even close in busyness to the preschool years. They will end. Enjoy them. I sure did!

Kathleen
Last edited by Kathleen on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:23 am

How are you doing?

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:38 pm

I'm doing pretty well, My eating is still very off, have only been able to stick with no seconds though, and mostly no sweets. Snacks are small things like mixed unsalted nuts or jello.

The weather has been a bit warmer lately, so we've spent a lot of the afternoons outdoors, which is great for us, we all like the outdoors.

Thanks for checkin on me :)
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:40 pm

Shamrockmommy,

Try doing one thing perfectly. That's what turns it into a habit. This morning, I had to rush out of the house because my son had forgotten band sheet music that he needed, and I was only too happy to get back to the house because I hadn't even brushed my teeth!

As for my two youngest, not brushing their teeth is not a problem!

If you get into the habit of no seconds and stick with that for a month, then you'll find it easier and easier. I love Reinhard's book on this subject -- that being strict makes it easy.

Thank God my youngest are in the habit of always washing their hands after they use the bathroom!

Kathleen

marleah

Post by marleah » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:50 am

It sounds like you - in addition to just having a LOT going on right now! - have some trouble feeling full after a meal, or not recognizing those signals. Something that helped me feel full after I would have a meal is taking a drink of water after every bite of food. It kind of clears the tastes from your mouth and slows you down so that your meal isn't a blur! And I have been trying to get into the habit of brushing my teeth after every meal (which for me means that I pack a tube of toothpaste and a toothbrush in my lunchbox every day!) - that also helps get that "foody" taste out of your mouth and it's always kind of yucky eating something when you have a strong mint taste in your mouth.

I don't know if these things will make it any easier for you, but I agree with Kathleen - try cutting out just one S at a time. Then after a month on habit with that one, try another one. Don't lose hope - you said that you've been successful before in losing some of the weight, and you can do it again!

You also mentioned that you don't like exercise. Is there any type of moving around that you do enjoy? Even just going for a walk is something. Or turning on some music and dancing with the kids? Even if it's just for 5 or 10 minutes - it's more than nothing!
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:24 pm

Just writing down what I eat today so I stay focused on the importance of my sticking with noS

This Morning's Weight: 225lbs

B: 2 scrambled eggs with mrs dash and an americano coffee

L: 3 pieces oven pizza with a cup of applesauce

Have not had dinner yet but will eat at MIL's tonight and will NOT partake of the homemade ice cream tonight.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:22 am

Dinner was a chicken noodle casserole with steamed mixed veggies. I also did have a small bowl of ice cream and a huge choc chip cookie.

While this was technically an S, the rest of my day was snack and seconds free, so I won't call it a failure. At worst, I had no seconds and no snacks throughout the day and that's good for me, for now.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

la_loser

Do what you have to but stick with something!

Post by la_loser » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:09 am

Tiffani,

Considering all you've been struggling with, it seems me that if your "mod" has to be that you're on the No Snacks and Seconds Diet with limited Sweet Events, that you're doing a lot better than if you chuck the whole thing. . . and certainly it will be better than going off on some other plan that will ultimately prove unsustainable.

It's not like you've never had success on this diet; you know it does work and that you can do it. . . and if right now is the not the time for you to Vanilla No S, then you get to decide that. It seems to me that the important thing is for you not to beat yourself up about it and stress about it because that will just make it worse.

And at some point up the road, in a few months or more, you may be able to slide back into the original plan; meanwhile you do what works for you. Hang in there. We're all pulling for you. I think about you and your kids and your soldier often. Take care.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:00 am

You are so sweet! Thank you for the good thoughts.

It's just that I am tired of being 220+ pounds. Why do I have to be the one that struggles daily with weight and food? Ya know? And my dh is so fit and handsome and sweet and loves me so much, he deserves me to be better.

it's all this mental garbage that swirls around.

I will work on no seconds, no snacking and limited sweet events. And I'm going to try to post daily what my meals are so I can keep a focus. It would be great to get under 200 by the time dh comes home and then be able to stay under.

Thanks again :)
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:02 am

I should add that tonight's dinner was at MIL's and that was why homemade ice cream and cookies were even available. I try to keep that stuff outta the house.

The problem has been since we moved here, all the families eat the usual american way, with dessert after Lunch and Dinner and they have sweets in their house. I don't keep that stuff around at all and had reserved it for the weekends.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:09 pm

I meant to have leftover b'fast from lunch yesterday, it was really tasty (probably high calories!) They brought me 2 huge pancakes, 2 huge slices of ham, a ton of scrambled eggs and a ton of hashbrowns.

I knew even I couldn't put that much away so I asked for a box and split it in half.

So anyway, that brings us to today, I attempted to have the leftovers, but as leftovers go I generally dislike them. So of hte leftovers I had a ham slice, a sausage link (Noah's leftover) and a bun. LOL

Just need to remember to stick to ONE plate, no seconds, no snacking.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:11 am

Lunch was pork chop with mashed ptatoes and carrots. And 3 oreos.

Supper was a burger from wendy's and fries.

Today's other S is a real chocolate cake, I'm baking from scratch.

I've been doing really pathetic "s's" and feeling really deprived, like oreos or such.

So this one is a hershey's cake, should be delish.

I will not feel guilty.

As an aside, my son attends a tumbling class (dance studio) and today was the big event pictures day. Well Every wall there is floor to ceiling mirrors. Imagine my horror when I discovered exactly WHY the scale says 225.0

My rear is huge. Not just wide, but really, really out there!
I need to work on getting exercise and tightening my meals. I just can't stand being over 200 lbs and here I sit, for years now, well over 200lbs.

Oy.
I think I will have to make time first thing in the mornings and either do treadmill time or pack the kids up in the burley and go running.Should get easier as it warms up, still cold here in SD.

My dad heard me whining about it today and he said "You know, Tiffi, there's a cure for that! Eat less and move more!"

So true, so true.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:14 am

Hi Tiffany :)
Well as much as it's easy to say to someone "Eat less and move more" I'd say it's a bit unhelpful honestly..
I mean, it's easy to give advice like this, to *someone else* who has to do it!
I'd be like "Yeah Dad thanks for the tip..." :roll:
Anyway..
Thankfully, you have a goal of your own and a great structure here, which will allow you the treats you like (ps.. I love oreos! I think they are one of the best cookies in existence!)
and if you add in exercise and really really stick to vanilla NoS, with no "Zone" and freakin Paleo hahah, you will lose weight.
You know this.
You've already done it :)
I too relate to the upset in looking at yourself at a high weight. It's pretty traumatic actually.. I had taken some pix today with my Son when we went for a drive up to Bear Mountain.. It hurts me so badly to not feel like I want to post them, because he looks so adorable and I am just at my absolute fattest I've ever been right now. :(
But,,,, I joined the gym again and am starting yoga and swimming next week!
Let's do this!! :wink:
8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:29 am

Debs, you crack me up!

I had some cake. It was good. I suspect it will be tastier chilled instead of right out of the oven.

Tomorrow, again, no snacks, no seconds.

I'll do it if you do, Deb! ;)
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:07 am

shamrockmommy wrote:
I'll do it if you do, Deb! ;)
It's on girl!!!! :wink:
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Happy Sunday.

No b'fast today. I wasn't really that hungry

Lunch is stir fry chicken, asparagus, portabella shrooms, onion in a evoo, lime, white whine sautee.
Yum.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue May 26, 2009 3:29 am

Ok, here we go again. If I don't commit to myself soon I'll be 250 and I do NOT want that. :(

On the plus of today, I rode my bike 10 miles.
I also refused a donut offer (they make me feel really sick anyway, the sweet is definitely not worth eating).

On the minus- permasnack sunup to sundown. couple of crappy ice cream bars (they really don't taste sweet to me, taste like cold nothing).

Ok, here I go. try for 21 days of clean eating, I'm worth it- especially for everything else I do for everyone else!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed May 27, 2009 2:09 pm

Man, up to 230 now. Slippery slope.

The good news is yesterday was green and I plan on making today green too.

If I can control food/meals, then that's one thing I can build confidence in and have control of in life. Right?

Things to tell myself: It's just not time to eat yet.
You won't die waiting for the next meal.

Going to have a busy day getting ready for the citywide rummage sale tomorrow through sunday. I'm not going to do sunday though, I think 4 days in a row will b a bit too much for me. This town takes rummage sales VERY seriously, I hope it's not too crazy!

I'll check in later, not sure on the breakfast foods yet.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed May 27, 2009 3:37 pm

Got busy cleaning out the guinea pig condo so I find myself mid morning and i'm going to go with brunch today.

Brunch is one of those frozen bags from Marie Callendar's Signature Saute's Looks good.

Later today I have to run over to the newspaper and get some rummage sale signs (they organize the city wide sale), some cash for change, hang some sale signs around. Couple of returns to kmart and walmart.

That's about it.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed May 27, 2009 4:52 pm

You have a guinea-pig condo? We have a guinea-pig condo! Our two piggies have a two-level cube-and-coroplast cage my husband contrived, with a little ramp to run up and down. Boy, is it ever a pain to clean, though.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed May 27, 2009 6:12 pm

OMG! Yes, I do! My dad and I made it last month. It's painted plywood. Image
Hopefully that pic works. It's 2' wide by 6' long, on wheels with plexiglass front. It's painted on the inside with a safe gloss paint and varnished and stained on teh outiside and back. It is very easy to clean, and I use the fleece bedding on the one side and carefresh typically on the 'kitchen' side.

Cool to find something in common! I have 2 pairs of boars: Remy and Tico the texels and Diego and Marquee- one is an aby X and the other is a satin peruvian. They are all sweeties!

They get free choice hay all the time, KM's hayloft pellets and I added 2 pigloos in each lounge area and a chube since i took that picture. I have 3 changes of fleece pads, they wash up super easy! (If you want ot know more about the reusable, fully washable pads I've made, just ask!)

Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed May 27, 2009 6:13 pm

Ok, decided brunch wasn't enough so had a sandwich wiht almonds and a rice milke for a late lunch.

Now of to make some rummage sale signs!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed May 27, 2009 7:22 pm

Oh my gosh, I am in awe! What a fab piggie palace. And your boars are so cute! We have a pair of females. Aren't they just the nicest little animals? So gentle and sociable.

We are spending an ever-loving fortune on Carefresh. Maybe I should look into switching to fleece -- they don't nibble it?

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu May 28, 2009 1:04 am

no, mine don't bother with the fleece very much. If you go to www.guineapigcages.com and click on forum and search around for threads about fleece bedding, you will get a ton of info about it. I'm a total convert. Still use carefresh for the "kitchen" area where their hay and food is and it STILL is expensive. Ugh.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu May 28, 2009 1:06 am

Dinner was "cheeseburger pie" meh. Not too fussy on that. Was from emealz.com.

No exercise today but ran around getting the last of everything ready for the sale. Hope it goes well w/out being completely insane. People around here take sales very seriously!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri May 29, 2009 12:44 am

I am not going to call today a complete failure, although I did have a sweet (cactus bread).

Had a rummage sale today and it was INSANE! in a good way of course. I woke up way too late and had to rush to get everything out and people were already lined up at the door!

Anyway, I got a bowl of cereal for breakfast inbetween spurts. I had a sandwich for lunch which wasn't enough so at 3 I ended up having toast to get me through.

Closed the rummage sale, went to see the kids who were with granny all afternoon and then she took us out to pizza ranch.

They have really small plates, probably 7" ones, so I did have 4 pieces of pizza (the medium sized ones) and a big slice of cactus bread. Opted for iced tea to drink.

In all, a pretty successful noS day, even with the bread.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri May 29, 2009 12:28 pm

Nice Friday Morning!

B'fast is 3 pancakes (no syrup) and scrambled eggs and choc. silk.
Just posting to keep myself honest!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri May 29, 2009 5:16 pm

Lunch: turkey and provolone sandwich on potato bread with butter, banana, handful almonds. Probalby rice milk.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sat May 30, 2009 1:35 pm

yesterday went quite well until the evening when I was feeling stressed out with 2 really cranky kids. So I caved and had a bowl of corn pops! Then the excema on my face started to really bother me, so there's something in the corn pops that I'm sensitive to.

Not a huge failure but a failure, nonetheless. Today- S day! :) Have to come up with a really yummy dessert. Thinking about apple crisp, I think.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sat May 30, 2009 2:01 pm

Good S day Morning :)

Bfast is oatmeal/almonds and scrambled eggs.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sat May 30, 2009 11:00 pm

Making sure I post even on s days to keep me focused on this lifelong challenge.

Bfast was oatmeal with milk and almond slivers,
Lunch was a chicken breast sautee' in white wine and one of thos green giant veggie steamers
S treat some oreos, ice cream and small amount of brownie. All very sane amounts so far.

Snack was oreos and a small bite of brownies (ghiaradelli, yum!)

Supper is oging ot be sandwich and salad I htink.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun May 31, 2009 3:20 am

Ok, a bit crazy on the S's and only one snack of peanuts, otherwise very good meals and I honestly think it was because of my b'fast- oatmeal! Good for your body, tho it's HOT and sometimes I wake up hot and don't want to be any hotter.

Good lunch too, chicken and veggies.

Supper was sandwich/yogurt/salad.

an after noon S fest and evening s Fest, but I couldn't even finish my piece of brownie, way too sweet!

Planning for a sane S Sunday :)

Posting here is really helping to keep me focused on the intense need for the lifelong support of myself and this challenge that has been put before me....
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun May 31, 2009 9:10 pm

Tiffani, cold oatmeal is good - kind of like muesli. I mix it with milk the night before and put it in the fridge, with cinnamon or maybe raisins. It's good heated in the winter, but I eat it cold in summer.

Good luck on all your efforts!

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun May 31, 2009 10:54 pm

KCCC, thanks, going to try doing cold oatmeal tonight :)
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:01 am

Posting here is really helping to keep me focused on the intense need for the lifelong support of myself and this challenge that has been put before me....
Then you keep right on posting away Tiffani! :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:09 pm

Thanks, Mimi :)

Ok, bfast was an apple with cheddar slices, a banana and a peach yogurt and a rice milk. Seems a little light but that can't hurt after an S weekend, for sure!

Ended up mowing yesterday evening just as dusk arrived, but I got a wild hair in me and just had to do it. Also edged the lawn with a hand edger- plenty of shovelglove activity there! Also took the kids on a walk, probably less than a mile.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:20 pm

I forgot that I was thinking about doing only first of the month weigh ins. I have already eaten breakfast this morning but I just weighed in at

I am TOTALLY Curious to see what I'll lose this month. :) Going to check in on the June challenge now
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:55 am

A GREEN day overall :) Yahoo! It comes fairly easily when you set your mind to it.

Lunch was soup and cornbread. Probably OD'd on the cornbread a bit.

Dinner was spaghetti/meatballs and homemade bread (def. od'd on that, need to watch it!) but I ate a few bites of it around 5:39 and then spent the next 85 minutes or so riding my bike with the bike club (dad got me started here) we did 17.25 miles! :) Had a coffee of all things at a rest stop so that is why I'm wide awake at this hour! After I got home and got kids to bed, I ate the rest of dinner.

I have this goal of getting to bed by 9pm but that has YET to happen!

So green for both N and exercise. :) Happy!

I have to say, w/out the snacking/permagrazing, My stomach is MUCH happier. I was having such issues with heartburn and the dire-rear (sorry, TMI) but I suppose there it's garbage in, garbage out and angry tummy for loading it with crap all the time.

Nice quiet tummy now.
Last edited by FarmerHal on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:04 pm

Ok, Happy June 2!

Today's Bfast is 2pc homemade bread, toasted with real butter, 2 eggs, scrambled and 4 slices soy bacon (facon!) lol
And an OJ
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:41 am

Today was tough, and I can tell, too much eating out, probably some MSG or some other chemicals in the foods which make me insanely hungry still even after eating, BUT stuck to my 3 meals a day and no snacks and no seconds.

Lunch was mcd's chicken club sandwich, no mayo (gross!! who likes that stuff?), fries, tea.

Supper was at a marina restaurant, not very good. It LOOKED ok, but the salmon tasted fishy (sure sign of spoiled! great) the sweet potato fries had sugar and cinnamon on them (wasn't noted in the menu) and the vegetables looked like they had been frozen forever, since they were very pale and tasted mostly of freezerburn even tho covered in a light garlic sauce.

I ended up mostly eating dd's minicheeseburger because she didn't want it.

Bleh. Disappointing supper and now I'm hungry, but I'll douse with water or possibly a rice milk and make note NOT to visit that place again LOL.

Off to put a green on my june challenge
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:06 am

Hmmm. We had Burger King last night because my little granddaughter was here while her very expectant mother was being taken out for dinner by friends, and I found myself feeling very much like you! Finally, I drank a glass of milk, marked my calendar GREEN, and went to bed! Eating out, sometimes, is not the way to go!

Mimi
:D

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:48 pm

Lunchtime :)

Turkey lunchmeat (yuk, see my post about that on the discussion boards) with a processed cheese slice (yuk also lol) on homemade additive-free bread :) Happy.
Almonds/brazil nuts, yogurt.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:50 am

Supper was chicken florentine from emealz. Very Tasty! It was all on one plate but probably od'd it a bit. Oh well. Still a succesful day and boy am I glad for the June challenge, it held me accountable yesterday and today for sure!

All of my usual "mom of 2 small kids with deployed husband" stress would have driven me to eat eat eat all day long.

I have to say though, my stomach has been much happier with me not permasnacking all day. Last few months my stomach has been in an uproar with lots of gas, too plentiful potty trips (tmi, sorry!) and HEARTBURN, which is a new one on me.

Back to the nice, quiet tummy, normal potty trips, very little foofing LOL.

I am also htankful for emealz so that I can have one meal that is no brainer!

See ya tomorrow!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:10 pm

Happy June 4.

Today's b'fast is Kashi Autumn Wheats Cereal. Just one bowl. Thinking about toast maybe though as I still feel hungry.
EDIT yes having 2 pc homemade bread.

But we're going to lunch at this Ma n Pa's greasy cafe with family today and they changed their menu (for the worse) where before I could get a very nice salad with different greens, now it's iceburg lettuce (bleh) and the typical greasy stuff, hamburger, fried chicken, etc.

I'll post what I get later today.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

la_loser

An idea to deal with "greasy spoons"

Post by la_loser » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:27 pm

One of those kind of eateries here also serves breakfast all day. If yours does, maybe you could get eggs and ham and toast or a veggie combo plate. Ours offers a number of side choices and lets you make a plate of your favorites so i can choose from green beans, coleslaw, mashed potatoes, corn, squash, fried okra (yeah, fried but oh, so good!) pinto beans, etc. I'll order a veggie plate and get one of their hot rolls or a piece of cornbread and I'm totally happy. . . even without the meat. Or sometimes, they'll have pot roast or meat loaf as a choice which isn't fried. (the veggie plate isn't actually on their menu-I just have to ask for several side orders on a plate. . .but I've never had any one refuse to do it.)

Yum. You're making me hungry.

And Tiff--I'm really proud of you that you're managing to find ways to deal with your daily struggles in ways other than food. Just use us as your safety net when you need to. . . as someone on another thread posted yesterday--at least the boards aren't fattening--even though they are a HABIT! :)

la_loser

Freedom-no S=No Guilt

Post by la_loser » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Ya know. . . as I think about this and after reading your post about "pre-meal guilt" it occurs to me that in the event one of those "blue plate specials" calls your name, it is OK to eat that if that's what you want. Yeah, we know that over time, you may not be able to eat fried chicken or chicken fried steak and french fries every meal in order to lose. But it is totally in the rules--you just don't get to have a slice of one of those tasty "homemade" coconut meringue pies they probably have in the glass case on the counter!

Our sad (or S.A.D.!) little brains are so programmed to think with a side order of guilt that it's so hard to eat without guilt. But we can do it. . . and what freedom that is!

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:03 pm

That's totally true -- it's still a GREEN N day if you have a greasy diner lunch, as long as it fits on one plate! I would get whatever sounds best on the menu; it doesn't have to be "diet food" or even particularly healthful.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:19 pm

Declaring today a YELLOW day, as we visited my grandmother, who made a batch of her delicious sour cream cookies, which you don't get grandma made cookies every day.

They were very small and I had 6 of them with my coffee. I don't htink it was a failure though.

What do you think?
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:50 pm

shamrockmommy wrote:Declaring today a YELLOW day, as we visited my grandmother, who made a batch of her delicious sour cream cookies, which you don't get grandma made cookies every day.

They were very small and I had 6 of them with my coffee. I don't htink it was a failure though.

What do you think?
I think they're EXACTLY what those extra couple of yellow days a month are MEANT for. Something extra-special, not too much, and (preferably, but not always) planned in advance.

(PS - Would your grandma share her recipe? Sounds like something I'd like to make on an S-day.)

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:05 pm

Who could say no to grand ma's cookies, ;-)

Sounds like a yellow day indeed.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Disclaimer : I am following a more extreme version of the 'No-S' diet.
I made my own personal modifications to the original plan (Diet & Exercise)
What I am doing should not be misinterpreted as being a typical 'No-S' diet experience.
11/01/2008 : 280.0 pounds - - - 06/01/2009 : 215.6 pounds
7 months 1 day / 64.4 pounds

la_loser

SPECIAL INDEED!

Post by la_loser » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:05 am

SPECIAL-VERY SPECIAL INDEED--what I wouldn't give to get to have any of my either of my grandmothers' or my mother's home cookin' -it's been over thirty years since I lost the last of them . . . cherish days like today because they are truly special. And how great that your kids are having the opportunity to know their great grandmother. You're making memories for them everyday.

Yea for YELLOW !!!

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:25 am

Ok, good, they were very good! I can make the same recipe but it seems that they are never as good as hers.

She's in her 80s now, so I will cherish this time we have together, even if it means a few tasty cookies from time to time. I have another 10 months until we move away again.

Feeling sortof 'hungry' I think, but drinking water and trying to ignore it.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:14 pm

June 5, trucking right along timewise. (to get dh home next april!!)

B'fast is a leftover from a couple nights ago. The veggies and noodles left from chicken florentine. Pretty tasty. Probably will have some milk to go with it.

We are going out to mil/fil's rv today and there are rumors of s'mores! I may take my S days Fri/Sat this week, we'll see. Try my best not to go overboard and definitely stick to the principles of no snacks (no mindless eating) and no seconds.

I'll report later :)
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:52 pm

Lunch was hot dog, chips, carrots, water. Stopped at my mom's for a drink of water while on my run and then she fed me lunch LOL.

Jogged/walked for an hour and 20 minutes though around airport road and back into town. Woo!

I do miss the good feeling I used to get when I was in much better jogging shape, and that cruise control you get when it feels like you warm up, get settled into a pace and could go forever.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:31 pm

A yesterday (friday) update:

Basically took a NWS day because we visited granny and gramps at the campsite and had smores. I did not have seconds of anything, though I did have an afternoon snack of nuts/raisins. Lunch was at noon, this snack was about 3pm and we didn't eat dinner till 9pm, which is very later for me so I'm ok with that. Stopped at 2 s'mores.

I also jogged/walked for an hour and 20 minutes around airport road and back into town. My legs are SORE! but it was fun. I sure miss the days of when I was about 180 and a regular runner- when you can get into that cruise control mode where you feel just fine at a pace and could go forever. I miss that.

Today, saturday, S day, going to continue to be sane about eating.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:21 pm

Bfast today was kashi cereal and 3 pcs toast/butter. One was rather thin so I went ahead and andded another slice.
choc milk.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:37 am

Happy Sunday, it's almost through.

I allowed myself to go a bit crazy, actually I was pretty lax to make an actual meal today except for supper, so the kids and I grazed all day.

S was apple crisp and some ben & jerry's

Tomorrow begins another week on June Challenge! Must remember to check in to keep FOCUSED. because this is a lifelong challenge I'd like to get on top of one day.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:51 am

Me too! We can do it!

Mimi :D

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:17 pm

B: plain pancakes and 3 soysage, water
L: mac n cheese and ?? I am really hungry! made a packed of those microwave steam veggies from green giant.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:26 am

Dinner is split tonight for the bike ride- don't want to be famished for the bike ride but don't want to eat the whole meal before a ride. So I make dinner (tonight was a cassarole, mixed veggies, and rolls) and eat a small portion of it and save the rest for after the ride.

So now I've got the kids to bed and ready to finish the rest of my plate that I saved for later.

Green day!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Tues June 9, Happy N day!

B: kashi cereal with milk, 2 pc thin sliced homemade bread with real butter.
cup of 2% milk (I just cannot do skim, bleh!)

Maybe I'm just imagining things, but already my clothes are fitting better, my belly and sides maybe look a tad thinner and I'm TOO happy about my happy tummy, no more heartburn, indigestion, gas, etc.

Yesterday I biked with my dad/bike club and we logged 20 miles, a lot of uphill work which kicked my butt but I hung in there and did catch up. Some really beautiful scenery of the area I've never even seen before, despite having grown up here!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

la_loser

good for you!

Post by la_loser » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:04 pm

You're doing great Tiffany. I'm impressed by all that biking! I wouldn't be able to walk for a week if I even came close to that.

I think your daily check in is really helping you too. Doesn't it feel good?

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:06 pm

shamrockmommy wrote: Maybe I'm just imagining things, but already my clothes are fitting better, my belly and sides maybe look a tad thinner and I'm TOO happy about my happy tummy, no more heartburn, indigestion, gas, etc.
I'm so glad you're getting positive results already - it's such a reinforcement, isn't it?

And the bike ride sounds great. :)

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:13 am

Thanks guys :) it's so nice to see you here!

Actually the bike riding isn't nearly as bad as that last run I did on Sunday- 6 miles!! Yow. Ok, well I jogged most of it and walked some of it but I could hardly walk the next day. I do think those long workouts once in a while help get the poundage off, or at least shift around ;)

Supper was taking the kids for a treat out to the Dairy Dock. They had hot dogs and cheeseballs adn I had a pizza burger (gross) and cheese balls. I wanted some chicken but they were out! Then the kids got a cone and I had to do an emergency lick on dd's cone to catch the major blob drips! Not calling it a failure though, it was just a lick.

Exercise was just mowing, that's not much, takes about 45 minutes.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:47 pm

B: leftover cassarole, yogurt, milk
L: 6 banquet ckn nuggets, mixed veggies (those green giant steamer ones in the box), milk

Taking kids to UP shortly. While movies are a rare event, not sure if I should partake in popcorn (eventually upsets my tummy anyway) or sweets (commercial candy isn't really worth it unless it's m&m's).

Hopefully I will resist!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:02 pm

Enjoy the movie! My son is seeing it today at camp. I hope he enjoys it.

I quit buying snacks at movies years ago, just because they cost so much and I think movies are overpriced anyway. So, "movie" doesn't equate with "food" to me, which I am grateful for.

It does to my son, alas. He was counting his allowance yesterday to see if he had enough to buy the "kid's pack" at the movie. (No, I would NOT give him extra money for refreshments. But I also did not forbid the use of his allowance. That's the kind of choice he gets to make.)

Good luck!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:53 pm

I went to see Up! It was fantastic. I had no popcorn or candy, just water :)
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:27 pm

Well you guys did better than me. I ended up eating 2 reeces pb cups and some popcorn because even tho the kids said they wanted it, they decided it was yucky.

I caved. I didn't want 10 bucks worth of stuff to go in the trash :(

So today is first Red day, but I won't let it get me down, supper as usual, life goes on.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:35 pm

shamrockmommy wrote:Well you guys did better than me. I ended up eating 2 reeces pb cups and some popcorn because even tho the kids said they wanted it, they decided it was yucky.

I caved. I didn't want 10 bucks worth of stuff to go in the trash :(

So today is first Red day, but I won't let it get me down, supper as usual, life goes on.
Good for you for not letting it get you down. Mark it and move on!

(As far as the "don't waste food" impulse - that is, hating to throw it away, which I also fall prey to - my mantra on that is "I am not a garbage can." Better to dispose of it in the trash than to add it to my body! That has been REALLY hard to learn, though.)

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:40 pm

So true KCCC.
As I was eating that not-that-tasty candy, I was thinking: "Am I letting it go to waste or am I letting it go to WAIST?" Obviously I did the latter.

Having early supper (all that sugar left me 'hungry') of cereal and nuts.
Probably have to add some veggies to it too.

Movin' on!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18