TexArk's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

TexArk

TexArk's Daily Check In

Post by TexArk » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:18 am

OK Here goes my attempt at recording my daily check in for the next 3 weeks.
Tomorrow is an S day so that is a little scary, but I am up for it! :D

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:19 am

Obviously my clock/time setting is all off. It is really Friday evening CST at 9:15 when I am posting this! :?:

la_loser

time zone settings

Post by la_loser » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:26 am

Welcome!

To set your time zone correctly go to your profile settings and in the timezone section, choose GMT-6 hours--
assuming you are either in Texas or Arkansas-- or central time zone.

Good luck--you'll find lots of support here!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

TexArk

Day 1

Post by TexArk » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:52 am

Day 1

[color=green]SUCCESS[/color]Even though today is a Saturday I am making it a normal day since this week had two special days and next week has two (New Year's Eve and New Year's Day) I thought 4 S days in one week is too many.

I was trapped inside due to stormy weather, but I turned to this site to read whenever the snack urge hit.

I also worked in one hour of yoga. Good for me.

Well, I have the time changed, but I have made several attempts to highlight and choose color but without success.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:11 am

[color=green]SUCCESS[/color]

Day 2 was a success. I am counting this day as a normal day even though it is a Sunday because of New Year's Eve and New Year's coming up. I am going to be at a New Year's Eve small get together and I plan to have a snack. On New Year's Day there will be pie without guilt!

I also worked in my 30 minute outdoor walk and have planned a walking trip to the grocery store tomorrow. This should be an adventure.

I am going to have to search the board for how to handle a soup and sandwich or soup and salad (one plate?)

TexArk

Day 3

Post by TexArk » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:43 am

Day 3
SUCCESS

3 Tasty One plate meals--no sweets no seconds
Made a fantastic lentil stew with real French lentils I had been saving

20 minute workout with weights (sorry I don't have the nerve to swing a sledgehammer around the house)
30 minute walk to the market and back up two steep hills!

Very much at peace. Waiting for my first S days on the 31st and 1st

TexArk

Day 4

Post by TexArk » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:45 am

Day 4 SUCCESS

I have enjoyed not having to decide if I am hungry or not. I enjoyed 3 nice plates and cannot believe that I have not snacked for 4 days!

Tomorrow will be my first S day. I am going to keep it normal until the New Year's Eve get together. Then I will have a snack. I probably will not have a sweet but plan that for New Year's Day.

I still need to work in my "movement" for the day, but will do as soon as I log off.

Anne

Post by Anne » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:51 am

Congratulations on your 4 successful days! I agree that it's liberating not to have to decide whether you're hungry, whether you should get a little something to eat or not!

TexArk

Day 5 First S Day

Post by TexArk » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:04 am

Success on my first SDay (assuming I am not an idiot at a party)
Day 5
I had a smaller breakfast than usual, then a banana with peanut butter fr a mid morning snack. My afternoon snack was an apple and a small handful of almonds. It was amazing how satisfying that was. A cherry pie is in the oven. So I can enjoy a slice with friends later this evening.

Truly amazing. I am hungry right now. But I want to enjoy my dinner. How normal. I even got in 15 minutes of weight training even though it is an exempt day. No guilt about no cardio. I'm loving it.

TexArk

Day 6

Post by TexArk » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:42 am

SUCCESS for Day 6

This was my second S day in a row. I made it through New Year' Eve enjoying a slice of pie and chips and dip. This was nothing like previous end of year sessions where the thinking went something like, "Well, I might as well eat and enjoy since I am really going to have to be deprived and restricted to get off what I have been putting on over the holidays!"

Today, like a true Texan, I enjoyed a Black Eyed Pea Cornbread Casserole and a slice of coconut pie. I had a snack of almonds and I actually took 2 separate outdoor walks of 30 minutes each even though I hadn't planned on it.

Tomorrow will be the end of week 1. So far, so good. I am actually enjoying being hungry for my meals. How strange. It has helped to come to the website and read whenever I am feeling somewhat antsy. There is no sense opening the refrigerator since that is not an option. I have ordered the book in support and it should be here by Monday at the latest.

TexArk

Day 7

Post by TexArk » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:40 pm

Success
Whoopee!! I have successfully completed one week of no snacks, no seconds, and no sweets except on my 2 S days which also happened to be special days. I also did my workout every N day and even one S day.

I was really, really hungry this afternoon and finally started supper at 4:45. It may be a long night, but I am not going to edit and post a failure. Tomorrow is an S day. I haven't planned it out, but I will think about it and have something special.

My job now is to plan out some filling lunches to carry to work as the new semester begins next week. I do not have a leisurely hour to eat but I do have a microwave and refrigerator in my office. I just remembered when I was teaching in the public schools (now I am at the community college) I did not snack all day--a teacher cannot be eating in front of the students--but now every time I have office hours I think it is time for a "little something" (as Winnie the Pooh would say).

And another success: I have stayed off the scales. I do not know what I weigh and I am not going to weigh until I my clothes are very loose.

TexArk

Day 8

Post by TexArk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:36 am

Day 8
SUCCESS

I did the marathon grocery shopping, bulk buying trip. This was a good day for an S day. I had a light breakfast, a midmorning snack, and then shopped until the middle of the afternoon. I had a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup for lunch and one tiny piece of pie. Then began the cooking marathon. I did not feel guilty tasting chicken as I pulled it off the bone. I had enough bites to not be hungry much at supper except for the potato soup I made with actual grated cheese on top (not fake stuff).

I had fun planning out some menus for the week. What freedom not to have to count grams, calories, or points. I have thrown out some disgusting "mock" recipes and am beginning to feel normal.

This was just a normal day--no bingeing, no guilt. I am off to my second week. I start back to work next week so there will be new challenges to solve.

TexArk

Day 9

Post by TexArk » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:37 am

SUCCESS Day 9

an S day

more "little" sweets than I intended, but not the old time sweetbinge "for tomorrow I diet."

I did a few Sun Salutations, but it will be back to the regular M-F routine tomorrow.

I have stayed totally away from the scales. I keep reminding myself that women 100 years ago would never even have known their weight much less the calorie content of food (or pts or carb grams). It is after all only a number. The only record keeping that counts for me now is the habitcal.

TexArk

Day 10

Post by TexArk » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:07 am

Day 10
SUCCESS
I made it early to the gym this morning to do my walk and weights. It was a good thing too because later in the day sleet and frozen rain began.
I was planning on having supper at 6:00, but the crock pot pork roast was ready and I was more than ready to eat by 5:00. So day 10 is officially over. I was really hungry from 3:00-5:00 but not something I couldn't live through. I kept thinking, "If I am hungry that means my body is drawing from the fat stores!"
I remember my mother saying when offered food in the evening, "No thanks, I've already cleaned my teeth." So I am going to go "clean my teeth" and remember that line. My book (the book) just arrived in the mail today; I think I shall settle in and read.

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:04 am

You are doing realy well, congrats

Marjolein

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:50 pm

TexArk....You're doing great!!! This first few weeks are so important & you're having wonderful success!

Not sure if you found any info on the soup/salad issue. I have a lot of soup & salad or bread. I think Reinhard explains it as a visual plate kinda thing. If the bowl is large, then the sandwich pieces should fit nicely around it....or if you're having less soup, then you can have more salad or more sandwich. It's not an exacting science with soup, but the more you do this, the better you'll be at figuring out what will be a satisfying amount without going over the visual plate size.

Again, you're doing great!
janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

TexArk

Day 11

Post by TexArk » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:36 am

Thanks for the support. It is always nice to see that someone is listening that knows the drill.

SUCCESS for Day 11

Today was a real reinforcer. A friend called right before lunch to ask to go out to eat at a bakery/sandwich shop that a mutual friend has recently opened. Any other January diet plan would have been totally derailed.

However, I had a plate with a small cup of cream of tomato soup and a nice roast beef and cheese sandwich around the edges with a few chips filling in the gap. Any other time, I would have been adding pts or calories in my head, thinking about what sauce was on the sandwich, the fat in the cheese, how many carbs, etc. But I could enjoy a meal out and it was a perfect N meal.

I was presented with a fresh out of the oven cookie from the "baker" and I just said, "Oh may I take that home with me to enjoy later?" It is in a sack in the kitchen somewhere. I will put it in my husband's lunch for tomorrow.

I was hungry for supper and had a satisfying plate. What a nice, NORMAL day. And I also practiced my yoga. Good for me.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:42 am

TexArk,

Your success on Day 11 was EXACTLY what this is all about! You had a wonderful lunch....enjoyed being out...didn't waste a minute of your time worrying about the content of the food...and was able to avoid the dessert probably because you felt absolutely no deprivation from lunch!

Well done!!!!
janie

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:10 am

You are doing so well, congrats on that.

Marjolein

Spook

Re: Day 11

Post by Spook » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:48 am

TexArk wrote:I was presented with a fresh out of the oven cookie from the "baker" and I just said, "Oh may I take that home with me to enjoy later?" It is in a sack in the kitchen somewhere. I will put it in my husband's lunch for tomorrow.
Well handled! I would have found that pretty tough to resist...

TexArk

Day 12

Post by TexArk » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:33 am

SUCCESS for Day 12 (3 meals and weight training)

a very challenging day in some ways, but a success

This was a back to work presession day at my school with all sorts of "free" meals.
Free breakfast, but I had already had my breakfast plate at home so I just drank a V8
Free luncheon at school--had my plate and did not succumb to the cheesecake
Free cookies at afternoon break (I could smell them, but I drank my H2Orange)
a Bible study group at my house this evening--with refreshments--I had a diet Coke

I am amazed at myself. I really do think that I am building the habit muscle. It gets stronger each time I resist. I was able to enjoy my lunch without counting points in my head or adjusting the rest of the week to fit the unplanned meal. I had a tortilla pizza for supper which I quickly put together. I was really hungry and it tasted great--I used real cheese and didn't measure. This is so liberating.

I am sure I will fall off the wagon at some point because I have many years of bad habits, but for now I am crediting the success days to all the previous failure days. I have been on many diets and regret that I did not find this way of eating sooner. I could gear up and lose weight if it took all my focus and life, but maintenance was even harder and never lasted more than 3 or 4 years at a time.

However, I think have learned something about myself from all the past successes and failures at dieting. Mistakes are to be learned from--they are bridges. I think that if I had been presented with this plan in the past, I would have rejected it because it would not be fast enough or "healthy" enough or someone would convince me that I needed to eat more often. But I have learned enough from past mistakes to know that NO-S makes so much sense. My meals taste so good and I am interested in cooking again and as strange as it sounds I sort of enjoy being hungry. How wierd is that?

I have not weighed and do not intend to do so until the end of this challenge. If for some reason, I have not lost any weight, I do not care. I am writing this to remind myself of how much better I feel. I am not bloated and guilty from bingeing. I am enjoying my meals. I am not carrying my special food around. I can see how much I am eating. I no longer have to count anything but plates. I hope I will drop the excess pounds, but if I do not, I am still a success.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:42 pm

TexArk....

I can't help but reply...what a great post! This plan is brilliant, isn't it? The changes are internal & as you wrote, even if you fall off the wagon, it's going to be okay. I've fallen off a few times since August...but I'm not beating myself up over it. It takes a long time to change 48 years of bad eating habits!

Anyway...just wanted to chime in and say, "Well done!"

janie

TexArk

Day 13

Post by TexArk » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:14 am

SUCCESS for Day 13

one more day and it will be two weeks
and I am eager for my S days

I have had 3 tasty and healthy and satisfying meals today, but much hunger this evening. It is an hour after supper as I write this and I am hungry. I know I had enough food on my plate (maybe not enough protein at supper though). Again this is part of the learning process. I am sure that I will not starve to death. A glass of milk might be called for before bedtime, however.

I was given a Snickers bar at work and put it in my briefcase. You know, it doesn't even appeal to me. In the past I would have given in to it in the middle of the afternoon and tried to figure out how to "take off" food from my supper allotment to pay for it. Now that I know I can have a sweet 2 days a week I know I can wait. But I want something much better than a Snickers bar.

TexArk

Day 14

Post by TexArk » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:40 am

SUCCESS for Day 14
Two Weeks on habit--Whoopee!

Worked out at home early this morning. Set the timer.
Had my 3 meals that tasted so good because I was hungry.
Walked to the grocery store from my work in the middle of the afternoon.
Have a party to go to Sat. night, but no problem, it is an S day.

One more week to have my 21 days. I am not going to have any green days stop me now. I think I will get some colored paper clips tomorrow to have a visual reminder in addition to the Habitcal. I still am very, very hungry by 5:00, but so far I have been able to get supper ready by then. My backup plan is a small glass of milk, but I have not needed to do that yet. But I am ready in case I have to wait until 7:00 or 8:00 for supper.

I am trying to keep quiet about this around other "dieters" but it is difficult. I would rather that they just notice the difference in me.

Marjolein

Re: Day 14

Post by Marjolein » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:19 am

TexArk wrote: I am trying to keep quiet about this around other "dieters" but it is difficult. I would rather that they just notice the difference in me.
First, congratulations on your great work. You realy can be very proud of yourself.
Second, I agree totally. I have failed so many diets befor that I don't want to talk about this one. It is going so well now, that I don't want to ruin it by talking about it.
I hope someone will ask me some day what I did to make me look so good and then I will explain.

Marjolein

TexArk

Day 15

Post by TexArk » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:23 am

Day 15
an S day so SUCCESS of course.

I had a streussel (sp) topped cinnamon roll for breakfast. Boy was that thing sweet. I'm not even interested in any of the others.

Veg. Beef Soup with a whole wheat muffin for lunch.
A few walnuts and chips for a snack. A few individually wrapped chocolates (Hershey Kiss type) left over from Christmas. I had not had any during the Holidays. I had told myself I could have some on an S day if I so desired. I think for tomorrow's S day they will not even be interesting. I am not planning any sweets for tomorrow, but seconds and/or snacks may be appealing.

A dinner party this evening--no seconds, left food on my plate and enjoyed a coke float for dessert. NoS works so well for a normal social life. Today may have had too many sweets, but I could tell that I wanted to be hungry at meal time and that one plate was enough. There was no desire for more. In the past I would have polished off more cinnamon buns and the last half of the bag of chips, and probably more candy so I think this is a good sign.

Also, I have not been on the scale and do not plan to do so until Feb 1 and that really is out of curiosity.

An edit close to midnight: I have been snacking on more little sweets as I wait for my daughter to come in from out of town. N days are easier!

TexArk

Day 16

Post by TexArk » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:09 am

An S Day SUCCESS

I didn't feel the need for desserts or snacks today. I did enjoy my seconds at lunch and supper. I have a hearty beef vegetable soup made up to take to lunch for a few days. It is nice to use the S days for batch cooking for the work week. If I nibble as I cook it is OK--this is an S day!

I really have been surprised that I don't feel the need to keep on and on eating--I think the N days are truly taking care of the S days

Anne

Post by Anne » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:49 pm

TexArt, you are doing so great! I enjoy reading your comments about how you are struggling and how you feel.
To be honest, I wish I were doing as well as you are, but you really are an inspiration to me! Thank you.

TexArk

Day 17

Post by TexArk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:06 am

SUCCESS for Day 17

Aren't N days comfortable? No thinking required.

Meals were as should be. I had leftover Tortilla Soup for breakfast--how strange. and Beef/Veg. soup for lunch, and steak, potatoes, and veggies for supper (oh and cornbread muffin for lunch and supper.) If I were on a conventional diet I might be concerned about my fat consumption, but I have realized that my real problem in the past was volume (Volumetrics, you know) and snacking and then the inevitable binges from deprivation.

No interest in snacks, seconds, or sweets at all. I guess that is what S days are for.

Exercise still needs to get done as soon as I logout.

la_loser

Twins

Post by la_loser » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:45 am

I'm beginning to believe that we were separated at birth! Yep, that Volumetrics book and cookbook--been there/done that too!

And if I could have corn muffins for every meal. . .or maybe corn on the cob . . . or corn casserole, or corn tortillas or yeah, POPCORN. . . well you get the idea! (and I'm watching How did that get to my Table on the FOOD network right now and what is the topic? Corn of course!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:39 pm

You are doing so great. And yes, N days are the easiest I think.

Marjolein

TexArk

Day 18

Post by TexArk » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:51 am

SUCCESS for Day 18

3 plates
Supper took a little tweaking, but I am confident I fixed a single plate. I haven't had raw spinach since I started 18 days ago. Now spinach takes up a lot of space unless you cook it down. I just pretended the spinach was "cooked down" and enjoyed a good size bowl of spinach salad and then I had my small bowl of soup with a small whole wheat muffin, a sliced tomato and a small apple (which all fit on my plate). I know I have never gained one pound pigging out on raw spinach! Two or three big spinach leaves on the side of my plate was just not going to work. If I had cooked the spinach it would have fit just fine.

I did about 10 minutes of Sun Salutations this morning and then walked inside the gym after school for about 20 minutes. So overall, I feel good.

TexArk

Day 19

Post by TexArk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:35 am

SUCCESS for Day 19

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, orange juice, small muffin
Lunch: bowl of chicken vegetable soup with rice, small muffin
Supper: peanut butter sandwich (Ezekiel bread) small bowl cottage cheese, mandarin oranges

Guests in home this evening brought in sweets for gettogether. I took a strawberry cupcake (made with real strawberries) and put it in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator. I don't know if it will be good 2 days from now, but I did not have to eat it, refuse it, or throw it away. It is just waiting in the frig for an S day!

I walked from building to building on campus and climbed stairs up and down three flights and managed to get about 20 minutes of cardio in. I am finding more opportunities now that I am free from a "specific" workout plan. I will do a few upper body moves with my free weights after I log off.

I am most happy that I have been able to stay off the scales. I had planned to weigh at the first of the month, but I may not. I can tell by my clothes if I am losing or not. I think the Thin Within program refers to the Pant-O-Meter. I just may have to use the Pant-O-Meter to measure progress. It really doesn't matter what the scale says; a habit is being formed. I have not had a full blown overeating episode even on my S days.

TexArk

Day 20

Post by TexArk » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:26 am

SUCCESS for Day 20

I cannot find where someone else posted, today I think, that NO-S is so easy because you don't have to think. You just have to WAIT. That is so true. Just wait.

I have had my 3 plates today. For supper I had salmon steak, yogurt sauce, spinach salad and feel very satisfied. I am still surprised that I can go all afternoon without eating. Yes, I am hungry. So what. Just wait.

It is bitterly cold and the exercise hasn't gotten done today. I will work on doing something indoors later on this evening--set the timer for 14 min.

Tomorrow will be 21 days--3 weeks on habit. I know this is not enough to turn around a lifetime of bad habits, but I think the strictness on N days is important. No thinking. Just wait. New habits are in the making.

TexArk

21 Days on NoS

Post by TexArk » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:16 am

SUCCESS for Day 21

I can't believe I have made it through 21 days without any problems. I started the day after Christmas because I did not want to do the usual New Year's beginning.

I did not weigh before I started so I wouldn't know what I have lost if I were to weigh. I am not going to weigh until the first of the month. For now the most important success for me is to have had 3 binge free weeks.

I need to up my exercise and I have been getting the minimum 15 minutes in just to establish habit. But I am coming off of a very restricted maintenance diet and a 60-90 minute daily workout regimen. I just couldn't keep it up and gained back 25 of the 50 lbs. I had lost. I struggled to maintain this last weight loss for 5 years, but I just couldn't sustain the plan any longer. I thought the only other choice was to gain. Now I know that at least I can hold on where I am and be at peace. Of course, I think I will lose weight even though it will probably be slowly. That is fine with me. My fear of food is subsiding and I can now enjoy one of life's pleasures.

Thank you all for sharing your stories because it helps so much to check in once a day. I had only planned to use the discussion board to get me through the first 3 weeks, but I can see that I really benefit from the process so I am going for my next 21 days.

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:23 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!! I hope to be where you are in 17 days or so ;). An awesome achievement.

TexArk

Second Round of 21

Post by TexArk » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:01 am

DAY 22 SUCCESS

This was an S day to start my next 3 week cycle. My husband and I needed to be out of town for most of the day. In the past, this usually meant that I carried an approved lunch or had the usual grilled chicken salad or caved in and blew my diet.

Now as a true blue NoSer I just had a lovely wrap at a gourmet deli and picked up carryout chicken to bring home. I had 2 small cupcakes that I had put back since last Wednesday and brownies left from my daughter's party on Friday. Oh yes...I could say no to those goodies during the week because I wasn't saying no to them forever. I don't feel stuffed and I don't feel guilty. I have no cravings and I am enjoying my food and the just right satisfaction at the end of the meal. I don't want to ruin my appetite by snacking even on an S day. The only difference is that I nibble while I am cooking on an S day.

My goal for the next 3 weeks is to have a perfect exercise record for the N days (a minimum of 14 minutes). For this round I will count a walk and a weight training workout or a yoga practice all the same. Of course, I really want to get in double this amount of time, but I want to ensure success for the habit. Time later to finetune this.

Anne

Post by Anne » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:55 pm

You must feel wonderful for completing your first 21 days, and so you should!
Not doing anything excessive as far as exercise or diet is concerned is definitely the right way to go. I know that I get easily discouraged and give up at the first sign of failure.

I do have a question: since your weight isn’t that important, why do you make it a point NOT to step on the scale before next month?
I wish you the best for your next 21 days!

TexArk

Day 23

Post by TexArk » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:12 am

In response to Anne's query about not weighing:

All my adult life I have defined my eating success by the number on the scale. I have graphs, spreadsheets, journals, and other weekly weigh in records that go back for years. For now, I want to define success by NoS eating habits. I want the string of successful days to be my measure. I just got to thinking about women in past generations. They did not know what a calorie or fat gram was and they certainly did not weigh themselves. But if they outgrew their clothes, they would certainly know that. If I weigh and I have lost, I don't want that to change what I am already doing If I weigh and gain, I don't want to start trying to figure out how to tweak the plan. At the first of the month, IF I think I can handle it rationally, I will weigh because I would like a starting point on this journey--the old before and during numbers.

I know I need to up my exercise to help the calories in/calories out equation, and that is the next habit I want to get in place. I have also in the past tended to approach this in an all or nothing manner. I have measured every body part, done body fat analysis, BMI's, etc. I now think that is obsessive behavior. I just need to walk more, be more consistent with my weight training and yoga practice. (By the way I am very impressed with Anne's bike riding in this cold weather--that makes me shiver just thinking about it.)

Today was a successful S day. My only changes from a N day were: I had toast and jelly; I had chicken and did not peel off the skin; I did not have snacks or seconds and no sweets really called out to me. I did that yesterday I guess. So I am ready for the next 5 N days and tomorrow I get a holiday from work so I should get a nice workout in to start off the week.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:22 am

TexArk,

"I am coming off of a very restricted maintenance diet and a 60-90 minute daily workout regimen. I just couldn't keep it up and gained back 25 of the 50 lbs. I had lost. I struggled to maintain this last weight loss for 5 years, but I just couldn't sustain the plan any longer."

You wrote this above. I'd be curious to know what diet you went on and how you maintained the 50 lb. loss. The reason why is that I can look back 6 weeks and see that I lost 2 pounds. Not very impressive -- except that my exercise consists of 2 mile walks three times per week and I eat to satisfaction (and usually well beyond) on the weekend.

The downside of this diet is very slow weight loss. I'd appreciate knowing more about the downside of other diets...

Kathleen

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 am

In response to Kathleen:

I am about 5' 6" (used to be 5' 7" but I have shrunk in my old age).
After beginning to diet at a weight of 142 lbs. in my twenties (all my friends were size 6's and 8's) I dieted and regained my way up to 166 by age 40. Then I got pregnant and after baby, my weight stayed from 166-192 dieting up and down for nearly 20 years. Finally I lost from 192 to 142 by doing Weight Watchers on my own in combination with an intense workout plan. I only had 20 pts. a day on WW and exercised about 90 minutes a day. I walked or did other cardio 5 times a week. I went to a power yoga class 2 or 3 times a week, and I did weight training about 3 times a week.

After I lost the weight I had to do exactly the same thing. I could up the WW pts to about 24 or 25, but I had to keep the exercise up. Even though I know the point value of nearly every food on the planet, and can figure the formula on a calculator at the speed of light, and have a notebook with all the fast food and restaurant meals printed out as to point value, I could not keep it all going for more than a week at a time. So of course, when I couldn't keep it going, I would binge and undo a week's worth of work or I would look at the exercise and think if I couldn't do an hour, 15 minutes wasn't going to do me any good. Actually I could have maintained just fine, if I could have kept up all the counting, measuring, weighing, etc. But of course, that was my problem. It was not sustainable for me. I also tried South Beach, Zone Diet, Protein Power, No Flour, No Sugar, WW Core Program, and my own personalized plans. About 2 years ago I just couldn't count and journal at all any more and my weight gradually climbed. I have gone up from my size 10s to size 12s (I was wearing 18s at my highest weight) and probably now weigh about 167. By the way, I also think I was trying to maintain too low a goal weight. Probably 150 is about right for me.

I have noticed that there are some on this board who are very meticulous about tracking their food and weighing in regularly. If it works for them, more power to them. I just decided that I couldn't make eating a full time job any longer. I had tried hunger/satisfaction diets before. I could always lose a little, but it still required too much thinking about whether I was hungry or not. With NoS I just eat my plate and then no decisions have to be made. I just wait. I don't know what I weigh, but I do know the bingeing has stopped and I also know I am eating less quantity. I never thought I had an eating disorder, but I have since learned that restrictive eating is an eating disorder. Again, I don't know if I have lost on NoS or not, but I don't think I have gained any because my clothes still fit and may be a little loose.

This is probably way more information than you wanted. I understand the frustration with losing weight slowly especially if you have a lot of weight to lose. I may be wrong, but I think I would have been much better off if I could have learned to eat this way before I started that first diet 40 years ago! I still say maintenance is the hard part. I am sure you can find a way to get the weight off faster, but sooner or later maintaining has to be managed. I have lost down to my goal weight 3 different times in my life. Each time I thought I would never gain it back, but I did plus more. That is why this time I am starting with maintenance. The diet part of my life is over.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:58 am

TexArk,

Your story is helpful because it highlights the benefits of No S to me, especially these:
1. You say maintenance is way harder. Well, on this diet, you start out doing what you are supposed to do for life. My 12 year old son just told me last night that I'll regain my weight after I go off the diet. I told him that I'm on this diet for life.
2. Binges are the undoing of diets. What I have found is that I managed to do fairly well as a restrictive eater until I got pregnant at age 34 (maintained a weight of about 132 at 5'6"). I returned to my restrictive eating approach after the last child was born, and I couldn't do it. Every time I started a diet, there was a reaction of bingeing.

I started this diet on September 8 at 215 pounds. On Saturday, I weighed 202.8. This morning, I weigh 206.6. Is the sort of overeating I'm doing every weekend good for my body? No. How long will this last? I think it will last a while more because I'm recovering from the binge that was a relief from a starvation diet. Now I'm just bingeing from bad memories of how I used to control my weight.

It's starting to be a relief to have an N Day. I just have to hang on and wait for things to change. I had one exception day that turned out to be very mild as far as overeating, and I'm hopeful that the tide will turn on the weekend days, too.

I have done a lot of research on dieting, and there are people who maintain a lower weight by significant exercise like you have been doing. At some point, the focus on exercise must detract from the focus on home and work.

It was helpful to me to hear your story. "I couldn't make eating a full time job anymore". You said something like that. I'm thinking I may join you in not weighing myself so much so that I can just wait. Thank you.

Kathleen

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:21 pm

OMG, TexArk - - I just read your story, and I feel like I could have written it. The only difference really is I never got very heavy because I actually have always enjoyed exercise and have been a runner since I was 13. However, all the mental anguish, the dieting, the BINGING, the counting and the counting and the counting. The FIXATION on every bite going into my mouth.

That I've done! I've done Jenny Craig, WW (multiple times), straight up calorie counting and Atkins. Atkins was the best for me because at least it eliminated the counting.

And like you, it's wierd, but it started working less and less as I got older. I just couldn't make myself do it, and then I'd feel horrible, and then I'd eat very bad foods, very excessively until I mustered up the strength to do it all over again.

I just started no S. Today will mark one week. I agree with you completely - - it works because there isn't a decision to be made. At meals, I don't need to think about making different foods than I normally would or how I'm going to cope at a friend's home. It's so much more black and white to me. Eat at certain times. Don't eat at the others. But just the fact that I'm not DWELLING on food 24/7 just makes the whole process 20x easier for me. Knowing that there will be a day that I can have the treat I want. Knowing that the next meal can taste delicious.

I am fortunate because I do exercise rigorously, and I enjoy it and like doing races and such. But I also have what I think is the perfect strategy for when I stop losing weight (inevitable as I get smaller I think). I'm just going to buy myself a smaller set of plates and keep doing what I'm doing. I'm done with the restrictions. Really, really done.

Thanks so much for sharing your story!!! It's a great reminder of what not to do and more importantly, why not to do it.

NoMoreDiet

Post by NoMoreDiet » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:23 pm

It's like you've written a lot of our stories here! I, too, have "been there, done that." I haven't posted anything lately--just hanging out reading posts. Your's caught my attention. My weight up until my 20's was in the 140 range--I am 5'6" also. I would binge on sweets to overcome stressful situations (I've never been a confrontational person--just let me turn to sugar and sedate myself and everything is ok--or so I thought) I ran for years and kept weight under control. It still rose slowly over the years. When joints started hurting in my 40's, I turned to walking; it's just not the same. All along the way, I would try different diets--just to weigh what my friends weighed. And here I thought 140's was too much! Boy, would I like to see that again. I was put on medicine 2 1/2 years ago that has the ability to cause weight gain (26 lbs. for me.) So added to some already extra poundage--it's way too much for what I'm suppose to weigh. I was doing well with NoS until I got weighed at the doctor's office on Friday--I've gained like 10 lbs. since Christmas! I came home very upset because I thought I'd really been doing well. The weekend was a disaster! But I am back and I am going to fine tune!
One thing I was curious about--you mentioned Thin Within. I read the book and was on line with the group with that plan--I never lost any weight, though. How did you do?

TexArk

Answers and Responses

Post by TexArk » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:59 pm

I think I better respond to Kathleen about the scale and weighing. I don't think it is good to be in denial about weight gain. I am not weighing for now because the number on the scale cannot have a positive effect on my behavior. I am wearing pants every day that button. No way would I wear elastic ever again (except to work out). Boy can elastic waists expand! I was a compulsive weigher--every day after emptying bladder and stark naked and before eating or drinking anything I would weigh. Sometimes I would weigh in the middle of the night when I went to the bathroom--yes I would take off pajamas. Now that is a sick method of measuring success if you ask me. So for now, I am going to weigh once a month. I do have to be realistic about how much food I put on my plate at each meal. I want to choose food that is tasty, well balanced, and will hold me to the next meal. However, I am not a 6' 4" lumberjack and shouldn't be eating as if I were. I have had to make friends with hunger. My mantra, "Hunger is my friend." And it really is. I don't need to be afraid of hunger. So I didn't eat quite enough at lunch--I really can live with the hunger until supper. Then the next time I will remember that I need more protein at lunch or whatever.

As for as Thin Within, I did not officially join the group. I did try Weigh Down for a few months. Even though I am a Christian, I did not agree with the theology. I did lose, but not to goal and could not maintain. I tried Linda Moran's website for Diet Survivors and I have tried Intuitive Eating. The reason NoS works so much better for me is that I do need the boundaries along with the freedom. I compare myself to a lottery winner that never knew how to handle money, so they soon have lost all their money and are right back where they were before winning. Therefore ,even if I won the "diet lottery" and woke up thin, I would gradually gain it all back. That is why I am starting with maintenance this time.

Yes, I want to lose and yes, I will be upset with the scale Feb 1. if I show a gain, BUT I know that if I am folowing NoS principles (not being stupid on S days) and eating reasonable amounts of good food 3 times a day on N days and moving my body in a way that fits into a normal lifestyle, my body will be the size it should be and I am going to have to get happy about it.

I have appreciated all of the response from fellow professional dieters. We really do bond well because of the common life experiences.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:46 pm

TexArk,

Hunger is not my friend. What is interesting to me about this diet is that hunger just plain becomes irrelevant. When I tried a Weigh Down type approach, I was so focused on whether or not I was hungry. With this diet, the question is not whether I am hungry but whether it is mealtime. Hunger only comes into play in deciding how much to eat at mealtime. It is not at all relevant in the decision of whether to eat.

I am certainly not in a steady state with this diet, but I am encouraged by changes that I have seen. One day, at about 11 AM, I noticed that my stomach was growling. I wasn't going to be leaving work and having lunch for another two hours. The growling stomach bothered me for about 15 minutes, and then I just was able to stay working.

I am a professional dieter, too, only dieting didn't work. The more I tried, the heavier I got. I have an aunt who died this year at age 74. When I was a child and she was about my age now, she was heavy but not as heavy as I am now at age 50. I last saw her last year, and she must have weighed more than 350 pounds, maybe more than 400 pounds. I shudder to think that she may have spent her life trying and try to lose weight but to no avail.

I've been on this diet now since September, and I got down 13 pounds (as of Saturday). In the last four weeks, I've only lost 4 pounds. Am I discouraged? Yes, and no. I regret that it will take a long time to lose weight, but I am so very relieved that I am no longer gaining weight.

What a trap I have gotten myself into. Most people don't escape this trap. I'm just happy to see a way out.

It's so nice to hear the stories of others who have been in this trap for years as well. I managed to keep my weight normal on restrictive diets until I got pregnant about 15 years ago, and significant effort got me to about 20 pounds higher than my pre-preganancy weight. At this point, I'm 70 pounds above my weight as a single person -- but at least I am no longer 80 pounds higher and going higher!

Kathleen

TexArk

Day 24

Post by TexArk » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:39 am

SUCCESS for Day 24

I have already posted way too much today already, but I am off to a good start for my next 3 weeks. I bought a ten pound kettle bell and a 5 pound weighted ball to supplement my free weight routine. I tend to get bored easily. I am all set to do my morning routine early tomorrow morning.
Today I had a nice 2 mile walk outside involving some inclines.

Breakfast: steel cut oats with blueberries and a little cottage cheese
Lunch: chili with beans, broccoli, a small whole wheat muffin, and a banana
Supper: roasted potatoes and carrots, broccoli, and a small ham slice

Hunger is my friend. I do not try to wait for hunger or analyze my hunger with a hunger scale. But I have learned that I want to be hungry at each meal because it is more enjoyable. I want to wake in the morning hungry and ready for breakfast. I also know that if I underestimated at a meal, I am not going to starve to death because another enjoyable meal is only a few hours away. Hunger teaches me by experience what my plate needs to look like in quantity and composition.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:03 am

I for one really enjoy your postings. Keep posting when you have time!
Kathleen

TexArk

Day 25

Post by TexArk » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:37 am

SUCCESS for Day 25

Breakfast: 1 boiled egg, 2 Ezekiel toast w/butter, coffee with milk, blueberries with yogurt
Lunch: oats, dried fruit, walnuts, cheese, apple
Supper: stir fry chicken with vegetables on brown rice

Morning exercise: yoga warmup, weighted ball resistance training
Afternoon walk: 20 minutes in gym

Good N day!

TexArk

Day 26

Post by TexArk » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:30 am

SUCCESS for Day 26

Sun Salutations a.m.

3 meals following NoS--followed rules, but meals were too hurried to be enjoyed

small glass of milk in late afternoon

Many trips up and down stairs, but no formal walking so am declaring Wednesday an exempt day for cardio

TexArk

Day 27

Post by TexArk » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:03 am

SUCCESS for Day 27

3 tasty meals, no snacks, no sweets NO PROBLEM I can't believe I don't need my afternoon snack. I am eating an early supper, however.

Weight training for 14 minutes in the morning + a little yoga.
Walk on campus after work--to the library, to the science building, up and down flights of stairs-under 30 minutes. Just couldn't face the treadmill--real life walking is much more interesting. All the students lined up at the elevators thought I was nuts taking the stairs. They think they are for emergencies only (for fire or when the electricity is out). I love it--I'm 3X their age.

One more N day in this week. My husband will be gone for a retreat over the weekend. In the past, this could trigger a weekend of eating. YIKES--home alone. I am going to try to use the time to batch cook for the next week and get a long outside walk in if it isn't raining.

TexArk

Day 28

Post by TexArk » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:21 am

SUCCESS for Day 28

I stayed green, but this was a rough day. I was overscheduled through no fault of my own. I had to scarf down a boiled egg, cheese stick, and a few walnuts at lunch or wait until after 4:00 for lunch. So I chose the egg, cheese, and walnuts in five minutes or less.

But the old me wouldn't have considered this a meal and would have come up with a way to rationalize more food later. If I been able to put it on a plate, it would have been a plate of food--one of the 9 inchers.

Today has made me aware of how important being satisfied is. I am much happier sitting down and enjoying a nice put together plate than eating on the run. I think this is a positive awareness. I don't need rules that say sit down, focus, put your fork down, etc. It is just more enjoyable to eat that way.

No formal exercise again. I am going to have to work on this one. Maybe S days are better exercise days and a couple of busy workdays can be exempt exercise days. I don't want to mess up my S thinking, however.

Anne

Post by Anne » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:26 am

Sometimes circumstances throw us off the "three-meal" plan for the day, and then it's hard to finish the day in a somewhat "successful" way.
How did you do it? Did you manage to wait until dinner?
Anyway, I hate eating in a rush at the office. So many of my colleagues eat something in 3 minutes while working at their computer!

Congratulations on your fourth week! :D

TexArk

Day 29

Post by TexArk » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:00 am

SUCCESS because it is an S day
I ate an early supper (5:00) yesterday because of my hectic schedule during the day. That meant that I went to bed hungry and woke up hungry. Then the snackfest began: Nuts, pretzels, cheese crackers, fruit, chocolate mints, egg rolls

I did indulge in snacking today and guess what. I prefer N days and structured meals when I am hungry. I made a wonderful potato soup for supper, but I wasn't hungry enough to enjoy it. The leftovers will be good tomorrow and I will enjoy it for a Sunday supper.

I think S days are really School Days. This is where the learning happens. I think I have learned that I really don't want sweets very often. They must be special sweets. I have learned that snacking does interfere with my hunger and satisfaction signals. Tomorrow I have to make a quick trip to the city which means eating out. And yes, tomorrow is another S day so there may be a treat in store.

I did take a good, brisk outdoor walk for about an hour to explore a new subdivison going in near me. (I hate it that they have cleared the timber and the wildlife are all gone.)

Note to Anne: I wasn't going to walk because it was cold (in the twenties) and the wind was blowing, but I thought of you riding your bike and decided that I could bundle up in layers, hat, and gloves and go for it. It was actually enjoyable, except my face could have used some protection! We southerners just don't handle below freezing temperatures well. Of course, my excuse in the summer is that it is just too hot and humid.

TexArk

Day 30

Post by TexArk » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:20 am

Day 30 was a SUCCESS because it is an S day.

Light Breakfast: Toast and cheese stick
Noon: crackers and peanut butter
Lunch at 2:30 Ate at Cracker Barrel--moderate amount--no sweets
Supper at 7:00 Potato Soup with Italian bread--2 bowls
chocolate covered cranberries and a sugar free chocolate frozen bar

An OK day, but I really could have enjoyed my S days more. Next weekend will be special for sure since it will be my 40th wedding anniversary!!

Anne

Post by Anne » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:54 am

How kind of you to tell me this! Well, it looks like you made it through your lonely weekend. Well done! :wink:

TexArk

Day 31

Post by TexArk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:05 am

Day 31 is a SUCCESS

The N days are getting easier. I just wanted less food today for some reason. (Maybe I am balancing out the excess of the S days)
Breakfast: Fiber 1 cereal with skim, 1 T peanut butter
Lunch: small whole wheat muffin, 1 cheese stick, 1 large apple, walnuts
Supper: large bowl of potato/ham soup with 1/2 pita bread, 1 egg roll

Rain on the verge of "freezing rain" kept me from my outside walk. I am dressed and ready to work out inside this evening. Tomorrow we will probably be iced in and school will be cancelled, but if so, it will be an N day. Here's hoping we don't lose electrical power.

TexArk

Day 32

Post by TexArk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:02 am

Day 32 SUCCESS

Had a good N day.
Breakfast: eggs, toast, Canadian bacon
Lunch: walnuts, dried fruit, Pasta frozen entree
Supper: shrimp, veggies, rice stir fry, almonds, 1/2 pita

We are under a Winter Ice Storm warning but did have school today, even though some more remote areas were closed. Tomorrow looks doubtful. Here's hoping we don't lose power! Anyway, rain bordering on sleet kept me from outside walking. Will have to be creative indoors this evening.

I feel good about the NoS habit. It has been surprisingly easy. I do think it is as others have said. You probably need many failures at dieting and maintaining before you can accept this plan. I will weigh at the end of the week as part of my plan to weigh once a month. I haven't weighed since November so I don't really know my starting weight. I think I am ready to accept the number whatever it is and work from there. I am so happy that I have stopped a lifetime of restricting and overeating that I consider this a SUCCESS even if I have not lost pounds. We'll see how my psyche handles it. Next month's goal is to get the exercise habit firmed up.

TexArk

Day 33

Post by TexArk » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:20 am

SUCCESS for Day 33

Ice Storm came within 5 miles of us, but we stayed clear and with power.

Breakfast:Peanut Butter Sandwich w/ Banana, Milk
Lunch:walnuts, potato, few cubes cooked chicken
Supper: Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup with cornbread, apple

Exempt day for exercise

I am ending the day hungry, but I am imagining my body using its stored fat.

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 pm

You are doing so well! One thing I see is that your meals sound a lot smaller than mine. I hope that comes for me soon. One of my struggles is that I'm a very rigorous exerciser (50 minutes of cardio 5 days per week plus 1 day of 100 minutes plus strength training and abs work at least 3x per week). So my perception of the amount of food I need to get me to the next meal - - well, I am definitely afraid of not eating enough. I just need to get brave and try it and see how intolerably hungry I get. I'm pretty hungry now by mealtime as it is . . .sigh . . .but I'm not sure I really KNOW what real hunger is. Maybe it is just appetite . . .

TexArk

Day 34

Post by TexArk » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:39 am

SUCCESS for Day 34

Another green day.
Fiber 1 cereal w/ skim milk
Canadian bacon
coffee

Broccoli soup w/ cheese
Walnuts
Cornbread

Chicken Breast over Pasta
Broccoli
Italian toast
Coffee

Morning exercise: 5 minutes of Sun Salutations
Afternoon exercise: 20 minutes brisk outdoor walk
lots of stair climbing during the day

One more day before monthly weigh in. My thoughts are still that I feel good about how I am living and am very proud of all my green days. I think that as I up my exercise to a manageable, sustainable habit and keep the vanilla NoS rules, my weight will be whatever it is supposed to be. I have no intentions to tweak the system or start counting anything ever again.

TexArk

Day 35

Post by TexArk » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:11 am

SUCCESS for Day 35

And tomorrow is an S day!!
Breakfast: 2 eggs, toast, banana
Lunch: broccoli soup, cornbread, nuts, dried fruit, oats
Supper: 2 small 2 bite pizzas, small slice chicken breast, broccoli

Probably too much coffee today.
Exercise: 30 minute power walk outside

Tomorrow is my first weigh in. Even though this is 35 days on NoS, I have not weighed for probably 3 months. This will give me some sort of bench mark.

TexArk

Day 36 SDay

Post by TexArk » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:51 am

Since this is a milestone day, this post might get lengthy, but I am writing for myself to help me remember

History:
1. Never was satisfied with my body size. At 5'7" thought as a teenager and young twenty year old that I should weigh 125 and measure 36 24 36. My skeleton maybe!

2. My first official Weight Watchers begain in 1970. I weighed in at 142 which turned out to be the goal weight for my height. My goal weight was then set at 132 FOREVER.

3. I reached goal and under and became a lifetime member. I regained and lost again. I never could stay at goal very long (just long enough to buy clothes!)

4. I struggled to maintain and would always move up to 150 very quickly.

5. I became pregnant at age 40 (after 18 years of marriage) and never got my weight back down. Many diets and exercise plans that all resulted in gaining a little more each time.

6. Finally FEAR was the motivator as I hit 192 lbs. at age 55. I did WW again on my own with much exercise and lost 50 lbs.

7. Maintained for 2 years, then edged up 10# a year for 2 years with much restriction, journaling, weighing, guilt, shame, etc.

8. The worst was the bingeing in between the restrictive diets--not just overeating--full blown bingeing.

9. I weighed at the beginning of November and was up to 170# and even though I was thoroughly disgusted I just couldn't face a restricted diet. I could no longer stay with any kind of program and I couldn't do the hunger/full method. I had eaten so many salads and vegetables and given up so much fat and carbohydrates that I just couldn't do it any more.

10. The holidays were horrible eating orgies (no need for details here), but I did not weigh. I did not want to see the number because I did not know what to do about it.

11. I don't know how I found the NoS site on the internet but once I saw it I decided to start immediately Dec. 26. I have been solid green ever since.

12. Today I weighed and I weigh 170#--exactly the same a I weighed before the holiday eating spree.

CONCLUSION:
I think I lost what I gained over the holiday month.
I have not binged once.
My mental health is so much better.
Do I want to lose the extra pounds? Yes
BUT if I was gaining 10# a year trying to lose my way, even if I lose 5# a year slowly on NoS (or even stay the same) I am ahead of the game.

I will be 62 years old next month. Can I finally just accept my body? YES
I really believe that if I am following NoS and getting daily exercise my body will be whatever it is supposed to be.

I am setting one goal each month. I have achieved my NoS habit goal, so for next month, I am setting an exercise goal that will be low enough to achieve so that I can establish the habit.

I used to look at a calendar and plot out what I could weigh by a certain date if I followed my diet. Now I am looking at forming one habit a month and letting nature take its course. And restriction is not a habit.

Anne

Post by Anne » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:52 pm

TexArk,

I honestly do admire and envy you for sticking to the No S diet for over a month. When I just read that you hadn't lost any weight, I was a bit disappointed. I felt that way for you and for myself as well. I thought: "What is the point then?". Two things you wrote seem VERY important:

1) I have not binged once.
2) My mental health is so much better.

For that, you can be very proud. Seeing the history you give, that alone is quite an achievement! As for me, I want to come as close as possible to the first point, and I've been on a roller-coaster for the second point since I've started No S.

Rethinking your goal (sensible eating instead of losing weight) is a brave and wise thing to do. I'm with you TexArk.

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:37 pm

CONCLUSION:
I have not binged once.
BUT if I was gaining 10# a year trying to lose my way, even if I lose 5# a year slowly on NoS (or even stay the same) I am ahead of the game.
I think you should be congratulating yourself big time, TexArk. First of all, you are slowly, but surely changing your eating habits from disordered eating to normalized eating. That's hard as all get out to do, and you are DOING IT. And you are doing it in a sensible manner that will last you a lifetime.

Second, I'm pretty darn sure you lost weight. You didn't weigh yourself after your month of holiday eating, but as you know it is very very easy to eat an excess of 500 calories per day which = 1 lb of weight gain per week. Very, very easy. My bet is that you took that weight back off during your month of no S. But even if you didn't, you are running a marathon, not a sprint. Won't it be so much easier to make the next habit change after being so successful with these initial steps? I know it will.

I'm pretty confident this can work! It's logical and sensible and relies true behavior change. Way to go on your first month. It's really awesome! Can't wait to see what next month brings . . .

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:37 pm

CONCLUSION:
I have not binged once.
I think you should be congratulating yourself big time, TexArk. First of all, you are slowly, but surely changing your eating habits from disordered eating to normalized eating. That's hard as all get out to do, and you are DOING IT. And you are doing it in a sensible manner that will last you a lifetime.

Second, I'm pretty darn sure you lost weight. You didn't weigh yourself after your month of holiday eating, but as you know it is very very easy to eat an excess of 500 calories per day which = 1 lb of weight gain per week. Very, very easy. My bet is that you took that weight back off during your month of no S. But even if you didn't, you are running a marathon, not a sprint. Won't it be so much easier to make the next habit change after being so successful with these initial steps? I know it will.

I'm pretty confident this can work! It's logical and sensible and relies on true behavior change. Way to go on your first month. It's really awesome! Can't wait to see what next month brings . . .

TexArk

Thanks

Post by TexArk » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:59 pm

Thanks fellow travelers, Anita and Anne.
I really am happy about my month. I feel like I have reached stability as far as my eating is concerned. I really believe any excess weight will come off eventually as long as I am stable. It is the erratic behavior that causes problems.

I have had a wonderful S weekend. Yesterday I enjoyed a fantastic blueberry muffin and had a delicious lunch of quiche lorraine, fruit and salad. I was not hungry for supper but later in the evening had a small bowl of broccoli with a little cheese.

Breakfast: muffin with coffee
Lunch: a bowl of roasted red pepper and tomato soup with a little cheese and a tortilla filled with leftover chicken and veggies and a dessert of 1/2 cup of ice cream.
Supper: planning on lentils (Le Puy, Anne)

I took a walk to the grocery store after lunch (about 1 mile downhill and a very steep 1 mile uphill) for a backpack full of groceries. I feel so Urban Ranger.

I have really enjoyed my food. No overeating. No stuffed feeling. I have no thoughts of "What should I eat this weekend because it is going to be a week before I can have it again." Actually I feel very NORMAL. Whoopee! I am going to believe that taking care of the N days are finally taking care of the S days.

I have added to the Habitcal a 30 minute a day minimum walk habit for all 7 days. I am trying to do more than that and am doing yoga and wt. training when I can, but I only want to track one new habit a month.

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:19 pm

It is the erratic behavior that causes problems.
You can say that again.

I am THRILLED that you are happy with what you've done. You should be! Everything you describe about your feelings is positive, and that is just going to reinforce all the new habits you are acquiring. I'm excited because I feel like I'm right behind ya!

My weekend was a bit of an over-eater between a progressive dinner in my neighborhood AND the Super Bowl, but I notice that I'm getting a much better grip on what actual hunger is now. This morning, I am NOT hungry. So I just ate a small bowl of cereal with some berries whereas I've been more nervous before about not really eating a BIG meal to get me through lunch. I'm feeling more in tune with my body.

It sounds to me like your N day habits are carrying over to the S. I hope that happens for me soon. I feel like it will!

TexArk

Day 38

Post by TexArk » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:19 am

Day 38

SUCCESS
Breakfast: 1 egg, tortilla, little mayo, orange juice
Lunch: huge muffin, roasted pepper/tomato soup
Supper: lentils with tomatoes, mushrooms, small slice of ham, Japanese mixed vegetables with olive oil
coffee with milk several times today

Going to bed slightly hungry.

20 minute power walk at lunch
30 minute brisk walk after work
Last edited by TexArk on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

TexArk

Day 39

Post by TexArk » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:12 am

DAY 39 SUCCESS

Good N day.
Walked a total of 70 minutes.
Had smaller breakfast than usual. Made it to lunch just fine.
Had smaller lunch than usual. Really hungry by 4:00.
Had normal plate supper at 4:30--Settled in for the evening. I should wake up hungry for breakfast, so a nice, big bowl of steel cut oats with blueberries and almonds with a strip or two of bacon should be good on a cold, cold morning.

I have been thinking about hunger vs satisfaction. I may post later.
Last edited by TexArk on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:15 pm

I LOVE steel cut oats . . .I use a rice maker to make mine. How do you prepare them?

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:23 pm

TexArk...

Just wanted to pop in and tell you how encouraging your Feb 1st post was. It was so obvious that you've been changing from the inside out...what an accomplishment! It's amazing to me as we analyze our habits, that one of the common factors for all of us seems to be that instead of DE-emphasizing food, we were emphasizing food when we went on any diet...(and I don't consider No-S a diet). The constant weighing and counting and swapping low-fat, no-fat recipes just keeps our mind on our eating and on our false hopes of making a diet work fast. None of them change what's going on inside...they just deliver a "plan" to "take it off fast". This adventure we are all on isn't a quick fix, but we've experienced those quick fixes before & they might work for taking off some pounds, but when they are not maintainable, our self-esteem and newly-purchased skinnier clothes just end up in the trash! When that happens over & over & over, it's no wonder it takes a long time to change our habits from constantly dwelling on food and our bodies, to just eating normally! So I'm with you, TexArk....I think we're ahead of the game...we're moving to health and that's a wonderful place to be.

Thanks so much for writing out your thoughts. They were exactly what I needed to read before conquering this green day ahead of me.

Well done!!!! janie

TexArk

Day 40

Post by TexArk » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:45 am

Day 40 SUCCESS

but..this one was close! Had to rush supper before people came to the house with all the after supper sweets--which meant I was cleaning and straightening for company while eating--I hate that. But I was virtual plating in my head: small cup of tomato soup, grilled cheese sandwich, apple, almonds, lots of coffee and milk.

cinnamon rolls, doughnuts galore and I couldn't get them to take them home--They are in the freezer. I should have repackaged them to freeze better, but I didn't dare handle the explosives.

I did get my 30 minute walk in--all over campus up and down flights of stairs. That is really the reason I got home in a rush. But I can check off success for NoS and for 30 minutes walking.

Anita, I never thought of making my steel cut oats in my rice cooker. How much water do you use?
Last edited by TexArk on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anne

Re: Day 40

Post by Anne » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:40 am

TexArk wrote:I didn't dare handle the explosives.
What a great way to say it! :lol:

Well done today!
:wink:

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:49 pm

TexArk....I agree with Anne...I love the "I didn't dare handle the explosives!" comment. That's EXACTLY what they are!

Thanks for your comment on my check-in. Congrats on your daughter being an honor student in college! What a wonderful accomplishment it is for both of you! Did you homeschool all the way through? Our oldest is going to college in the fall, but I have three more to finish up after him. It's a long adventure, but I'm glad we chose it.

As for being around here awhile, I started this in late July...and I'm definitely in it for the long-haul. You're right, it's the only plan that makes sense and the only plan that makes the changes from the inside out. I don't want a quick fix or a "miracle" diet...I want to eat like a healthy person...and I want the focus of my life to be on my living, not on the obsession of food. In my mind, every day that is green or yellow is another day of reversing the decades of the bad habits of both eating and obsessing. I figure that eventually there will be enough green days to wipe out the patterns of the past. BUT, I'm counting on this not taking 49 years...that's how long I worked on the bad habits! LOL.

Anyway...enough babbling on for me. Thanks again for popping in. It's always encouraging to know we're in this as a team! Have a great green day!!!!

janie

TexArk

Day 41

Post by TexArk » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:02 am

SUCCESS for Day 41

I have been stuck at work and can't get away until after 9:00 tonight. But I have been free from about 3:30-6:30 so I walked to town and back (45 minutes), then later I walked to Subway and back for my supper.

Meals were good and I was very hungry for each one.

On my walk I thought of other S words for S days (other than Saturday, Sunday and Special)

1. Safety Valve
2. Satisfaction (I have been thinking about this one a lot)
3. Social
4. Safe
5. Sweet

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:44 pm

So sorry I missed your question about the rice cooker. My rice cooker has fuzzy logic - - so there is a porridge setting. I use a half cup of the steel cut oats, and then there is a measuring line on my pot that I use - - so I'm not sure how much liquid that is. I can attempt to measure it, but not sure how accurate it will be since you fill to the line AFTER adding the oats.

What kind/brand of rice cooker do you own? It might be trickier to ascertain exactly how to use it, but maybe we can find directions online. It's well worth it because the oats come out wonderfully.

TexArk

Day 42

Post by TexArk » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:01 am

SUCCESS for Day 42

I just realized that this is my second round of 21 days. The habit really does feel strong. Nevertheless, I know I need to be vigilant.

Breakfast: scrambled egg, 1/2 English muffin, 1 1/2 strips bacon, a couple of tablespoons oats

Lunch: cup of beef stew, cup of yogurt with blueberries, small bowl of oats

Supper: large roasted chicken breast, spinach, buttered toast

Pre supper: coffee with milk

Walk: 30 minutes outside
Yoga: 5 minute Sun Salutations

I get really hungry between meals, but it actually feels right. Tomorrow morning I am going to enjoy brunch at a friend's and maybe make one of my mother's pies that I have not made in over 35 years! I used to love her Jeff Davis pies, but it seems I have been on a diet for 4 decades so my sweets came in the form of stupid binges instead of an occasional well planned treat.

Anita: I'll experiment with my rice cooker on the steel cut oats. It should probably be the same as brown rice.

TexArk

Day 43

Post by TexArk » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:32 am

SUCCESS for an S day

I am not thrilled with my eating pattern today, but it was an S day afterall. I think I have satisfied my fantasy craving for pastry. It seems each weekend there is some previously forbidden food that I just have to try out. I think I have taken care of cheesecake, chocolate, muffins, chips, and pastry over the past 6 weekends. I don't think there is another category left until warmer weather (COFFEE ICE CREAM)

I am happy that I have had SUCCESS on NoS since I started Dec. 27 and now this last week I have put together 7 days in a row of walking at least 30 minutes.

Tomorrow should be a more calm S day. Not too interested in sweets or snacking, but I like the option.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:14 pm

Enjoy reading your posts and you are doing great!

Resting

TexArk

Day 45

Post by TexArk » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:17 am

SUCCESS for Day 45 (I am amazed when I look at the day count)
N Day

I did not feel comfortable on my two S days, but I needed them. I don't think they were S days gone wild (well, probably too many sweets--but not a sweet binge). I will be happier next weekend with 3 structured meals and a special planned treat.

Breakfast: 1 boiled egg, English muffin, tangelo, coffee
Lunch: frozen entree: beef tips/peppers
Supper: large chef salad with flatbread crackers, EVOO
I am finally enjoying my veggies again.

30 minute walk before the rain came in.
I have two wonderful food finds. One of my colleagues at work has chickens so now I have a weekly source of fresh free range eggs and I have discovered eight o'clock coffee beans. FANTASTIC

TexArk

Day 46

Post by TexArk » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:02 am

SUCCESS for Day 46

Breakfast: scrambled egg, toast, bacon, coffee
Lunch: black bean soup, cherry tomatoes, flatbread crackers
Afternoon coffee with milk and H2Orange
Supper: steamed broccoli/carrots, chicken Caesar whole wheat wrap

30 minute indoor walk

Really hungry for supper because I had to wait and meet friends at a deli before going to a lecture. But again, the NoS diet proved itself to be sociable.

I am with you Anne. This is easy to do when you are busy. Some diets really are almost impossible to do when you are busy because they are so time consuming. In the past, when too busy to work a diet plan, I would just eat on the go and snack in between meals and postpone "doing the diet thing." OR I might try eating a protein bar or drinking SlimFast but the lack of satisfaction always caught up with me.

TexArk

Day 47

Post by TexArk » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:19 am

SUCCESS for Day 47

Overslept this morning due to all night storm. But I grabbed a boiled egg and some leftover chicken and cherry tomatoes as I ran out the door.
Breakfast: egg and oats (had a stash in my office)
Midmorning: V8
Lunch: chicken and tomatoes
Pre Supper: coffee with milk and H2Orange
Supper: ham, roasted sweet potato slices, zuchinni, and bell pepper, homemade whole wheat bread, few almonds

I am really sleepy from storm watching and have not exercised yet. Maybe I can get up enough steam for an indoor workout. It's not looking lke it though! I just want a hot bath and sleep.

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:30 pm

I must confess that your menus look a lot healthier than mine, TexArk. I don't eat a lot of junk, but I definitely have more fat in my diet . . .I find I need the satiating effect of some fat to get through to the next meal. A few nuts or some avocado or some cheese really help me out . . .

But I admire your plates when you post them!!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:39 am

FAILURE my first one!

Breakfast: scrambled egg, English muffin, bacon
Lunch: black bean soup, crackers, cheese stick
Supper: too much rotisserie chicken, broccoli/cauliflower, toast, roasted sweet potato chunks.

Supper I can't really call supper one plate. I had gotten very hungry and had not had my usual coffee or H2Orange. I ate some rotisserie chicken as I was serving up my plate. So the actual meat on my plate might have been seconds. And as I was cleaning up the leftovers I had another bite or two! I could play the virtual plate game, but I know I had too much and I did not put it all on my plate at once.

After 10 days in a row of walking a minimum of 30 minutes, I had a failure yesterday. However, it was a nice afternoon today and I did get my walk in. I am going to have to plan ahead better for supper tomorrow.

So I have learned...Do not take that first bite until I sit down. Look at the plate and decide if that is going to be enough before I start. Once I start then that is the plate I have decided on. I need those boundaries.

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:53 am

I totally give you credit for taking this "failure" in stride. It really was a small one in the scheme of things, but I think you are wise to acknowledge it because otherwise it is sort of a slippery slope. The fact that you can verbalize the boundaries is really good. I need and institute the same ones for myself because I'm the queen of picking before and after dinner . . .

Tomorrow is a new day!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:40 am

SUCCESS

Breakfast: boiled egg, Fiber 1 cereal w/ skim, coffee
Lunch: 1/4 chicken breast, broccoli, cauliflower, black beans
Afternoon: H2Orange and coffee
Supper: chicken tortilla casserole, 1/2 apple, few almonds

45 minute outdoor brisk walk

Two S days coming up and one is Valentine's. No chocolate guilt!

Today I read a study that said that those who have had a 10% weight loss must exercise (as in cardio) 60 minutes a day to maintain the loss and that more exercise was needed to maintain the loss than to lose in the first place. I find this to be true from my own experience. This month I am focusing on 30 minutes minimum and have only missed one day so far. Next month I will set the bar at 45 min. Gradually I should have in place the Maintenance Formula: NoS eating habit, 60 minutes cardio, and 3X a week weight training. Maintenance First-- Weight Loss Will Follow

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:23 pm

I'm sad to say that I concur on the exercise. It's sort of depressing, but you get BETTER at exercise so that it becomes more efficient. And then you either need to really up the intensity or go longer.

I have been working up slowly to the one hour mark, and I do a double once per week.

So now, I'm up to 53 minutes per day for five days and 106 minutes on one day.

And my routines are pretty hard (running/cycling/elliptical) - - and nonetheless, I am NOT skinny.

Thankfully I enjoy exercising . . .

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:26 am

S Day
Exercise: Yes it is sad that our bodies adapt over time to exercise and will burn less calories, but I am mentally prepared for this. I don't have access to an elliptical trainer any more, but my plan is to add 15 minutes of high incline treadmill to my outdoor walking minutes after I get to 45 minutes daily.

I did get in two outdoor walks today--one 20 minute race walk and one 35 minute brisk walk up and down hills. I am working up to a 45 minute daily minimum in 2 weeks. It is easier to get an extra walk in on the weekends.

I do think that I am feeling full with less food than I used to OR I just don't like to feel too full.

5:30 a.m. Fiber 1 with skim milk and blueberries
9:00 a.m. Spinach/Mushroom Frittata
12:00 lunch I finally made that Jeff Davis pie I have been craving and had 2 pieces and a glass of milk for my lunch. It was great, but I don't really want any more so that craving has been satisfied . I hadn't enjoyed one of these pies in over 30 years. Now just knowing I can have a piece or two once a week on an S day if I want, makes the desire fade.

Afternoon: snacks of almonds and chocolate covered small pretzels
Supper: Not hungry but had chili and crackers at McAlisters, 1 small Dove dark chocolate
(I had planned on something else for a late supper, but daughter called to meet her and it was nice to be free to do that)

Overall, a good S day. I feel like I had too many sweets even for an S day, but afterall it is Valentine's and I don't think I will want any more sweets tomorrow. Right now tomorrow just feels like a very small s day--maybe a fruit and nut snack in the afternoon.

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:06 pm

Great attitude on the working out, TexArk. I've really grown to enjoy my working out time . . .sounds like you are well on your way.

I, too, have noticed that the sensation of fullness has gotten easier to obtain. I didn't notice that until this weekend. Last night, we went out for Valentine's Day. I was actually pretty darn full after the salad course. I will admit that it didn't stop me from eating because we went to the most amazing restaurant, and I still had the desire to eat. But, I do think that on a more normal day at a more normal restaurant, I would have happily stopped.

Just wanted to say good-bye for the week as I'm off to vacation tomorrow. Hope you have a five wonderful N days while I'm gone.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:11 pm

Thank goodness it is an N Day. I am not taking President's Day as a special after the Valentine's Day weekend. I have to be at work anyway so it is not really a holiday.

The S weekend was full of sweets with a capital S, but I did get nearly an hour of good, hard walking in each day. I know I overate because I did not wake up hungry for breakfast. That is always a sign of excess.

Two more weeks until my 2 months on NoS anniversary, and I am looking forward to a string of green days. I handle them better than my S days; but my S days are actually much better than my reactive binge days used to be.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:52 am

Happy N Day

Breakfast: sausage biscuit/coffee
Lunch: 2 boiled eggs, green beans with leftover chicken chunks
Supper: 2 X 4 soup with cornbread

Exercise: 35 minute brisk walk

Supper Club is tomorrow night. This happens once each month and is never on a day that starts with S. The dessert will be the only challenge. I could save it for the weekend if it is freezeable or I could call it an S day or I could just plead fullness and resist. But I need to plan my escape before the actual temptation.....

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:25 am

Happy N day back at you!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I've been following your blog as well, I enjoy reading posts from people who have been No Sing for awhile.

Good luck with the supper club. Sounds like you have a solid plan!

:D Lori
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

TexArk

Survived Supper Club

Post by TexArk » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:43 am

N Day Success

Breakfast: scrambled egg,ham
Lunch: 2 X 4 Soup with cornbread piece
Supper: Corn Chips topped with chalupa meat, cheese, sour cream
Lots of Coffee but NO DESSERT

OK Supper Club was great and the dessert was a coconut cake, but I was so satisfied with my one plate (I actually had chips and cheese and sour cream!) that I really didn't want it. I think it was full of Eagle Brand, creamed coconut, and Cool Whip, etc. which everyone thought was great, but it sounded way too sweet for me. Imagine that!

Exercise: 30 minute walk involving lots of stair climbing

Anne

Post by Anne » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:37 pm

Great job TexArk! I'm sure you will find somehing better to satisfy your sweet tooth this weekend. something you really want! :)

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:35 am

SUCCESS for Wednesday N Day

3 Normal Plates

outdoor walk (divided into 2 sessions) over 30 minutes total

Not a difficult day, but I drank a lot of liquid (H2Orange and coffee)

Wednesday night guests--the temptation for sweets was not that strong. No problem with the doughnuts and sweetrolls. The smell coming out of the oven was the most difficult, but coffee saved me! Also I do look forward to something really special for the weekend.

Time for bed. My stomach is rumbling.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:02 am

NoS Success

Busy day.

Did well with 3 plates. I did have to imagine spinach cooked down as my spinach salad was large at lunch but I know it was one plate.

Too many interruptions and appointments to get walk in so today was a FAILURE for walking my 30 minutes. So far only 2 failure days this month. I am satisfied with that.

One more day until the weekend. I have a fairly easy week. Here's hoping tomorrow will be the same.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:55 am

SUCCESS

Fridays can be hungry days. I am feeling rather empty and growly so I am going to go to bed early! I had my 3 normal plates and got in my afternoon walk up and down a steep hill to and from the grocery store. I enjoy destination walks so much more than tracks or gyms.

Tomorrow will be an S day and I don't have any sweets planned. Nothing really sounds good to me. Could this mean my sweet tooth is settling down. However, I am going to make some cheese biscuits or maybe Mexican cornbread and have all I want.

One more week before the monthly weigh in and also it is time to set the next monthly exercise goal. So far in February I have walked at least 30 minutes every day except 2.

I think I have been eating a little less this week. I have been hungry for each meal but that is the way it should be.

TexArk

S Day Report

Post by TexArk » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:55 am

SUCCESS just because it is an S Day

A yucky day....raining steadily all day...a fresh head cold (I haven't had a cold in at least 10 years!)....no exercise...in pajamas all day long

No real meals. I fixed a recipe of cheese garlic biscuits (Red Lobster style) and that is what I have eaten all day long--nearly the entire recipe!! Hopefully I will wake up hungry in the morning and can have a better S day. Nothing sounds good...so it is probably chicken soup tomorrow.

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:02 pm

Hi Friend,

Just checking in after vacation. Looks like you had an awesome week :). Way to go!!

So sorry you aren't feeling well today. It's funny because I feel like I might be coming down with that cold too. My throat is sore. I hope not, but I feel draggy . . .I hate flying. It seems like I always get sick right afterward.

Hope you feel better as the day goes on!!