Anwen's daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

anwen

Anwen's daily check in

Post by anwen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi there, I've just joined up today, have been reading for a few days and ordered the book (second hand, I'm afraid...) a couple of days ago.

I am counting yesterday as day 1, though I've classed today and yesterday both as S days, will have Sunday as an N day to even things up a little. Haven't been too crazy on either day, but did have dessert yesterday and chocolate today.

Tomorrow I'm probably going to cinnabon (recently arrived in the UK and so addictive...) but will likely be relatively staid the rest of the day, with mostly fruit for snacks... Not to be intentionally restrictive so much as because I doubt there'll be anything else I particularly want.
Last edited by anwen on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:43 pm

Good luck Anwen!
What part of the UK are you from?
I have friends all over England.
Hoping to visit there in the Summer.
Peace,
Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

anwen

Post by anwen » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:08 am

Thanks, Debs! I'm in London, which has its upside and its downside...

anwen

Post by anwen » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:51 pm

Well, today went a little differently than I planned, DD refused to come shopping with me, so at about 3pm I took her to my mum's (after quite a bit of arguing, but she's strong willed!! DD, not my mum... well, both are strong willed, but I was arguing with DD, not Mum ;)) I hadn't managed to have any proper lunch at home, so while I was out I stopped at a supermarket and bought some roast turkey, sundried tomato and mozzarella salad (just a little to go in the sandwich) and a wholemeal roll to make a sandwich which I ate on a bench. I also had a muffin, having decided against the cinnabon.

Unfortunately I had a bit of a horrid hour after that, as I tried to use the disabled loo in a shop (I have fibromyalgia, and IBS) but after waiting for ten minutes (I usually assume that up to ten minutes is quite possible for someone who has to side transfer from a wheelchair etc) I knocked on the door and got no reply, went and found a member of staff and they opened the door - it was empty but the loo was blocked and very smelly, so obviously it had been locked without anyone bothering to put an 'out of order' sign up! By this time I was both rather desperate and exhuasted from standing by the stupid loo for ten minutes (while trying to look Genuinely Disabled, having left my cane at home for once) and got very upset, so I went and Complained to a lady at customer service. Grr.

Anyway, basically I was very wound up and decided that out of emotional eating vs yelling at some poor woman and/or wanting to smash things in the shop, emotional eating was the lesser of the two evils (yeah, I know there are other options, but I haven't quite got to that stage yet!) so I went to Cinnabon after all and had a full size classic roll thing. It was very nice for about the first five bites. By the time I finished it, I was feeling quite sick and a bit woozy. So, I don't think I'll be bothering with that again!! Got to my mum's to pick up DD and was very relieved that I'd taken something with me for dinner, mum was going to make pasta to go with it but I ended up just eating a small portion of meatball thingies with salsa that I made last night, and was glad of the protein after all that sugar!

anwen

Yay, my first green day!

Post by anwen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi again.

Hurray, I've just ticked off my first green day :D Slept in today, then had a cereal bar and some fruit for breakfast (didn't really fancy proper full on breakfast as it was only a few hours till lunch, the bar is high fibre and reasonably sensible/non-S). We had lunch at about 1.30, I had some pasta with the remaining burgery meatbally things and salsa from yesterday.

Dinner was roast chicken with roasted carrots (done in the same pot as the chicken) brussels sprouts, petits pois, spinach (green veg were all frozen, and done together in the microwave with a tiny bit of water, a little butter and a pinch of dried herbs) and saute potato (done with a spice blend I made a while back for potatoey things, with paprika, herbs, cayenne, and dried chilli flakes). I don't normally go in for seconds, but this is one meal where I would usually at least pick at the meat left on the bird and finish up any potatoes leftover - this time I had a nice elegant sufficiency on one plate, and even managed to leave a little behind!

After dinner I cut the remaining easy-to-get-at meat off the bones and have started a pot of stock which I'll make into vegetable soup in the slow cooker/crockpot tomorrow :D

I've had a couple of tiny fragments of high quality dark chocolate with orange and geranium oil after each meal, which just finished it off nicely, and have signalled to my brain that the meal's done. The kitchen's closed for the night (well, apart from washing up and finishing off the stock...) and I get to make the little square on HabitCal go green :D

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:36 pm

Good for you!

anwen

Post by anwen » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:45 pm

Rah, another green day! (yesterday was green, too). I made vegetable soup in the slow cooker (was meaning to do it yesterday but left it too late - I did make lovely bolognese sauce last night though, which is portioned up in the fridge and freezer) and had some of the vegetables with some chicken for lunch, followed by a small fruit salad (kiwi fruit and pomegranate).

I was considering having a 'minimeal' after bringing J home from school, as we'd normally have dinner around 7.30 and I was very hungry with quite a lot to do, but decided to have a cup of spearmint tea with a drop of honey in it and bring dinner forward a little instead. For dinner I had a bowl of soup and three smallish slices from a "part baked" baguette (where you buy it from the shelf and then stick it in the oven for ten minutes, resulting in 'freshly baked' bread :D) with some creme de Brie (Brie mixed with some slightly fakey stuff to make a spreadable thing that's still basically Brie - I'm planning to get some of the real thing next week when I have some money, as I prefer to avoid fakey stuff as much as possible, but this was pretty nice) - I did cut myself an extra slice after I'd eaten the first two, but it was all out on the table to start with and it wasn't excessive so I'm counting that as green!

Have been doing lots of walking, er, Urban Ranging, and have discovered that a shopping trolley (the kind that you pull around with you to take shopping home, not the kind you push in the supermarket) full of heavy library books makes an acceptable plough substitute ;) (Yes, I've been listening to the podcasts, too).

I've also got an induction at the local gym on Thursday, I know all the arguments against gyms, which are probably right, but I've joined because a) it's cheap enough that I can justify the cost so long as I actually get active, b) it means I can go to the swimming pool whenever I want, not that I can swim, but the water is nice and relaxing when I'm in pain, c) I can go to exercise classes including Pilates/yoga which I am interested in trying for no extra money, d) it means that if it's just too freaking cold to walk around much I have something else I can do, and similarly if my pain levels/fatigue increase again there will be things I can do that allow me to keep moving without having to keep standing (e.g. stationary bike thingy) e) I can use the lovely hot power showers instead of having to wash my hair with a jug in the bath at home or have a shower in my mum's nice but chilly bathroom... and f) I've tried NOT joining a gym lots of times in case I didn't go to the gym and wasted the money, and usually ended up forgetting the "so I'll do stuff on my own instead" part of the deal, so I'm trying joining one and making a deal with myself that it will not count as money wasted if I don't actually go very frequently, so long as I AM doing something on the days I don't go (urban ranger, trolleyplough, whatever), though obviously I am planning to give going to the damn place a shot as well!

Oh, and g) it saves being at home with the heater on while I'm off sick from work, and it keeps me out of the shops where I'd be buying yet more crap ;)

I figure that for £20 (have totally lost track of what that is in dollars, but it's about the price of a couple of CDs. Mind you, those are more expensive here, too, apparently...) per month that's pretty good value.

anwen

Post by anwen » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:49 am

Well, I had a snack last night, of an apple and a small piece of Raw chocolate (probably a mistake, this stuff is very strong!) at about 9.30 after finally getting DD to bed... I'm still counting it as a green day, though, because my dinner was both early and hardly huge (tbh I'm used to not particularly huge main meals) and the snack was pretty restrained. I know the rules state that it's better to have a caloric drink than even a piece of fruit for a snack, and I understand why, but to be honest for me juice is an S food (I could easily drink a full litre of orange juice in a day, and as for grape juice...) and I'm not keen on drinking milk.

Have woken up, taken meds and had a nice bowl of cereal (weetabix with a chopped up banana and whole milk) with a big glass of water.

Spook

Post by Spook » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:53 am

Sounds like you're doing really well!

anwen

Post by anwen » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:48 pm

I'm borrowing Kathleen's mod and allowing myself a 'flexi-S' day, i.e. a midweek S day that isn't for an amazingly special reason, but is useful in keeping self 'on track'. I don't have any NWS days coming up till March, so I think it's safe... Anyway, basically my friend (ex colleague) took me out for lunch today, and on the way to meet her I passed through the lovely Borough Market which is one of two things I miss about that job (the other being my friend, obv!) and looked at various food - no money to buy today, but will be heading back there next week. I had a small sample of some lovely cheese, which I scribbled down the name of for next week :D We had nice toasted sandwiches and salad for lunch (sensible size) and we each had a square (about 2" square) of millionaire's shortbread for dessert. It was lovely, and I had a momentary 'damn, wish I had some money, I'd have another!' feeling, but it passed quickly and I was glad to have had just the right amount - not so much I felt sick ;)

anwen

Post by anwen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:05 pm

Two more greens, I'm experimenting with another tweak, classing Friday evening as S (and Sunday evening as N).

Have decided to try and find at least one or two types of fish I like, I went to the market today and bought (among other things) a small piece of monkfish, which I cooked in a little olive oil with thyme, salt and pepper. Had it with some saute potatoes and vegetables, and it was ok. Not the greatest thing I've ever tasted, but it didn't make me retch like most fish...

I also had a nice lunch of avocado, poached egg (omg, I've never poached an egg before, it was SO GOOD) and bacon, with some yellow and red tomatoes.

anwen

Post by anwen » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:01 pm

So, today's been a red day. Not a terrible, scene-from-Dexter sort of red, though. I had a couple of nuts because I misjudged my breakfast idea (too little protein) and later bought a single Baci(o) from the Italian deli and ater it on the way to pick up DD from school.

I had a nice dinner and finished it with a little piece of cheese, but about twenty minutes later I went and got a piece of bread and some creme de brie and have had a few more smallish snacks since. Not a major binge, by any stretch, just some permasnacking.

So, aiming for a green tomorrow.