Marjolein's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Marjolein

Marjolein's Check In

Post by Marjolein » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:34 pm

MW 109.6 kg :oops:

So I have decided to follow the No-S-diet.

Starting today with an S-day.

So ofcourse day 1 is a Succes

Marjolein

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:09 am

Day2

MW 109.6

This is going to be harder and yet simpler then I thought.
I am hungry, so in my mind I am thinking of all the things I want to eat. That is the hard part. Usually I fix my hunger even before it arrives :oops:

The easy part is, that I don't have to choose what I am going to eat now. It is simply nothing for another hour.

Then I can enjoy a warm selfbaked slice of bread. With real butter!!!

Marjolein

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:10 pm

Hi Marjolein,

I read your posts from the General Discussion. I hope this plan works well for you. It's been so good for me...and I've been learning to control food instead of food controlling me...which has been a huge change for me.

Take care...janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:03 am

MW 108.2 :D

Day2 Succes

Thank you Janie. I think it is working for me too. I have lost 1.4 kg yesterday. I know it is just waterweight etc. But still, I am very happy with it. Just because it means something is happening.

I started counting my WW points at Jan.2 and untill yesterday I didn't lose any weight. I know it was my own doing and not the points, but I just can't do it no more. Counting everything I eat. Being allowed to eat whatever en whenever I want, just in moderation.

I don't want to take any conclusions after just 1 day. But this might be just what I need.

It is realy simple, and yet hard at the same time.

But I know when I am hungry that I am not going to eat something the next hour or 2 orso. And it makes things a lot easier.

So, day 2 was also a big, big succes

Marjolein

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:43 pm

Marjolein wrote:
It is realy simple, and yet hard at the same time.

Marjolein
Marjolein, You just summed this plan up in one sentence. This is brilliantly simple, but it would be foolish to think it's easy. It's very hard...BUT....this time the difficulty is worth is as this IS a way to eat that can be sustained for a lifetime. I've lost weight & feel better...I have more weight to lose...but the changes that occur internally are something you just can't find in any diet. This de-emphasizes food instead of emphasizes it. I can honestly say that I am no longer obsessed with what I eat or when I eat or how many points, fat grams or calories something is. I WILL get to the point where I'm at the weight I should be, but I'm not concerned with "when" any more....and I don't mean that I've given up - not at all....I mean that when I'm doing what I should on this plan, I know I'm making progress & I really don't care how long that takes because I'm just eating the way I plan to eat for the rest of my life. It's really brilliant.

Sorry...didn't mean to go on & on....you can do this....it's definitely not easy, but it's absolutely worthwhile.

Take care & have a green day!
janie

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:09 am

Day 4 MW 108.2

Thank you Janie.

I had another SUCCES day for day 3.
And to me that is a big thing. I never stick to a diet more then 1 day and then find excuses for why I do can have a bit of this and a bit of that and within 3 days I allways completely fall of the wagon.

But I start to get realy enthousiastic about this. It is so darn simple and it reminds me of the way I quite smoking 5 years ago. I just didn't do it anymore. Sounds simple, is a hard thing to do. But because of the simplicitie is very doable.

I feel like this one is also very, very managable.

Well, here goes day nr 4.

Marjolein

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:40 am

Day5 MW 108.4 :)

Day 4 was another SUCCES.

I just can't believe it.

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:24 pm

I was thinking about making today my first S-day as we usually get some take-out on thursday.

This morning I had breakfast at 8.30!!!!!! It is amazing that I can do so long without any food.

Then I thought, ok, I won't eat any sweets yet, I will wait a bit. I was going to visit a friend and she usually has some sweets just for me (because of my Celiac Desease I can't eat everything)

When I was at my friends house I thought, I will just eat a healthy lunch here and buy some sweets in the car on the way home.

In the car i thought, No, I can wait a bit longer I will eat some chocolate when I get home.

When I got home it was a bit over 3. I had to work some and thought about eating something real nice at 4 or so.

At 4 I thought, well I can wait a bit longer I think. At 6 we had dinner. I just had some salmon, spinach and salat. With dressing and some cheese and cream on the salmon. (it was a take-out diner) and some mini rösti.

And now I am not going to eat some sweets also.

So, the most unbelieveble thing has happened here. I have had another No-S day even when I told myself I could have a S day.

For me this is something big, no something huge!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lik I said before, I am the failure queen when it comes to dieting.

Marjolein

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:42 am

MW 108.0 :D

Day 5 was another SUCCES

I sure am proud of me. For the first time in years I am proud of myself related to food.
On to day 6.

Marjolein

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:28 pm

Marjolein...

You are absolutely right...we ARE going to beat this..and it's going to happen THIS year.

You had a WONDERFUL day yesterday! Every success is a day closer to being healed of all this eating stuff.

I appreciate your encouragement Marjolein....it's so helpful to know there are people out there on my side.

Have a great green day!

janie

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:24 am

MW 107.8 :D
Day 6 was another SUCCESS.

Today is my first S-day and I am a bit nervous about it. I don't want to ruin my week, but I also don't want to deprive myself from anything.
I had a good breakfast with some chocolate sprinkles on my sandwich. I plan not to eat anything before lunch though.

I think today will be harder then a N-day is.

Marjolein

TexArk

First S Day

Post by TexArk » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:05 pm

Have an enjoyable S day. We need these I think just for a safety valve.

Thanks for your encouragement to me. As I mentioned on my check in, we need to talk about this process some, but it probably needs with a fellow traveler.

I am a very successful "dieter," but a lousy "maintainer." I see NO-S as a way to learn to maintain and the weight loss will just be a slow nice side effect. I know that if I took a magic pill and woke up thin, I would gain steadily and be in a constant battle with food. This is the first time I have felt at peace with food.

Hang in there and let's learn this together.

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:20 am

MW108.6 :)

I am happy with my weight. I lost 1 kg in my first week. But I am not happy with me.
I ate far to often, to much, to fat, had to much alcohol etc this weekend.

I must and will do better next weekend.

I am happy with NoS though. I can go on today and not feel like I am a complete failure. It is a learning curve I think, and I am just starting to learn how to handle food in a normal way.

Didn't do that for at least 20 years I think. And after I quit smoking about 4 years ago I subtitute food for sigarets.

So, I left one addiction, but replaced it with another one. I am so ready to beat this eating thing!!!!!!!

Marjolein

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:27 pm

Crazy weekends are par for the course when starting out. That you recognize its not a tenable situation is great. But work on getting the habits down and pretty soon they will stretch into the weekend.

You are doing so well!

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:30 am

MW108.0 :D
Day10
Day 9 was another SUCCESS

Thank you, Bizzybee. I believe (and hope) it will be.
I love NoS. I did not have a good weekend. But is wasn't hard at all to get back in routine yesterday. And I lost most of my weekend weight allready.

Marjolein

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:03 am

Hi Marjolein,

Thank you for posting on my check-in. I haven't been posting for the past couple of weeks. My sister visited me for my birthday...it was a wonderful surprise!...but I fell behind on everything and decided not to worry about keeping up with posting. Sometimes,instead of just doing a few things well, I spread myself too thin and end up being frustrated that I can't do everything I want. That was happening to me in the middle of the month...and it felt quite good to take a break.

I do hope you're doing well. This plan is so simple, yet so incredibly hard at times. I have to be patient with myself & realize that my bad habits took a LONG time to develop so I just won't break all of them at once.

Take care Marjolein! janie