Gretchen's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gretchen

Gretchen's Daily Check-In

Post by gretchen » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:17 pm

I am as new as they get at this NoSDiet. Because I've experienced years of failing at diets, I've developed the habit of zoning out any media mention of new diets because I assume they're all fads and future failures. So, I will be honest, I never even heard of the NoSDiet until a few days ago. And today was my first visit to the site, although I did begin my life venture into this frame of mind yesterday. I am VERY happy to say I was successful yesterday and, also, today! No snacks, no sweets, no seconds. If you see future posts to this thread, then you'll know I am still hanging in there. If you never hear from me again, you'll know I failed and am too ashamed to admit it in print. But, I am feeling very optimistic! :)
Gretchen
While you're alive . . . LIVE!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:24 am

You are at the right spot. I stumbled upon this also. It seems that everyone here has been through the diet/lose/regain routine many times. I think that is why this simple plan is so appealing. We can see that the old ways don't work for us, but we are not able to have free rein either. I have been on plan for 11 days now and after 40 years of trying it all I can say this is going to work for me. All I have to do is take care of one day. I don't have to write anything down. As Reinhard has said it is simple and sustainable. The sustainable part is where we have failed before, right?

I have mentioned on another post that what this habit plan provides for me is the scaffolding that I need. I needed to free my mind from food decisions, but I still needed the boundaries, the structure, or as I say the scaffolding.

You can do this. Check in daily. Use the habitcal. And really, the book is good reinforcement also even though you have all the info you need on this site.

I'll ge looking for your success one day at a time.

la_loser

Welcome to No S!

Post by la_loser » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:57 am

Welcome Gretchen!

You are like most of us on these boards--we've done all the diets and plans, etc. then No S just jumps out and screams..."Try me-I make sense!"(ah lots of S's in that too!)

I am confident also that most of us had to make lots of starts and restarts to get this thing down. Bad habits are not created in a day or a few days and positive ones may take even longer. . . so patience is important. Soooo. . . in response to your comment:
If you see future posts to this thread, then you'll know I am still hanging in there. If you never hear from me again, you'll know I failed and am too ashamed to admit it in print. But, I am feeling very optimistic!
I would encourage you to give this some significant time in the event you mess up a couple of times or whatever and you decide to disappear and feel like a failure and give up. That's what we're all here for--it's amazing how this board can pick you up and help you get past those obstacles that are standing in your way. Below is a quote from Reinhard on the No S Homepage-way down toward the end. . .
Sometimes it takes a false start (or 12)

Some people, like me, get No S the first time they try it. It works and it sticks. But most people have a bit more trouble than that. In fact, you might do best if you assume you'll screw up the first time, so you don't get too discouraged. Consider it a reconnaissance mission, a trial run, just to feel out how hard it's going to be and where problems are going to arise. If the enemy, appetite, turns out to be such a chump that your reconnaissance mission routs him, great, you've succeeded. It might be that easy, you won't know until you try. If not, you've learned more about him, where he's likely to ambush you. You're stronger, better prepared for next time. Don't feel stupid for trying and failing. Success is the sum of many failures. This isn't just pep talk. According to a recent article I was pointed to (thanks, Valerie):

Studies show that altering eating habits for good requires 10 to 12 concerted attempts to succeed - which is to say about a dozen failures come before the eventual success. "That's not reason to despair," said John Norcross, professor of psychology at the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania and a researcher on self-initiated change. "If anything, it's reason to say, 'I'm not doing so bad.' "

So quit dawdling and get some failures under your belt!

Need something more inspirational than another pseudostatistic? Try Winston Churchill: "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."
So hang in there-keep posting and staying optimistic. We look forward to hearing from you.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

gretchen

Post by gretchen » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:57 pm

Thanks TexArk and LA_Loser. Your encouragement, welcome, and advice is appreciated!

Today is going fine, too, as did the last two days. So far, it has not been hard for me to stick to this lifestyle and I am thankful for that after so many failures. I will continue to check in daily for my first three weeks.

I remain optimistic! :)
Gretchen

gretchen

Post by gretchen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:36 pm

I missed checking in yesterday. I've been fighting a bad cold for two weeks and it has settled into my ears and caused an infection. I didn't have enough energy to get on the computer. But, I did stick to NoS! So, another successful day. Although, I feel I loaded my plate a bit more than the other days.
Gretchen

gretchen

Post by gretchen » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:26 pm

I have been doing just great on NoS! I started one week ago and haven't had a lapse yet. I've even lost 7.5 lbs! Yeah!
Gretchen

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:57 am

I think you are off to a great start. My only suggestion would be to stay off the scale for awhile. It really is just a number that goes up and down. It is amazing how we can use it to either feel good about ourselves or to get discouraged. Just rack up those SUCCESS days on the HabitCal and know that you are making a habit that will last a lifetime.

Spook

Post by Spook » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:00 am

Well done! There seem to be quite a few of us who started (in my case, re-started) No S last week! As TexArk says, don't get discouraged if your weight stops dropping, or even increases briefly - it's all about changing habits. If you get the right habits, the weight loss will follow, even if it takes a long time.

(The reason I gave up on No S about a year ago is that I didn't lose much weight over a 3-month period and I got discouraged. Since then I've gained about 20 pounds and I now weigh more than I did when I first started, which I know I wouldn't have done if I'd stuck with it).

gretchen

Post by gretchen » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:28 pm

Thanks TexArk and Spook for the guidance. Yesterday was my first bad day, had snacks and piled my dinner plate so high it probably really equaled two. That was frustrating for me because I have to rack it up as a failure day and I really hate to fail.

Usually, I'd let that be an excuse to give up, but I am determined not to do so on this diet. Today I am doing fine so far. Made it through breakfast and lunch. Just have to get through dinner now without backsliding again. Then tomorrow will be a little easier again. One "good" note is that it is VERY cold out today with a high of only 20. My days require at least 2 hours of physical labor outside, and usually 4. Maybe the energy it takes me to stay warm today (and tomorrow, too) will burn more calories! Gotta always look on the bright side, eh? :)
Gretchen