Dietary advice from my Doctor

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

FarmerHal

Dietary advice from my Doctor

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:30 pm

:roll: Went to my annual checkup this morning. She noted I gained weight from my last visit (as if I didn't know!) but then went on a long speech about which foods to eat at McDonalds (I dont' eat at McD's or any of those fast food places anymore).

So I told her about the noS diet, 3 meals a day... she 'reminded' me to eat something inbetween meals to 'keep your bloodsugar up."

Ugh. Do we have a banging head against a wall smiley? That inbetween meal eating is precisely the issue!

And lets just all assume we overweight people drive through a mcd's daily.

Ugh.

I'm more than frustrated, but I supposed that's the majority of overweight people they see, ignorant about nutrition.

Rant over!
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Spook

Re: Dietary advice from my Doctor

Post by Spook » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:31 pm

shamrockmommy wrote:a long speech about which foods to eat at McDonalds
That's bizarre - none of their food is remotely healthy is it?

Unless she said 'eat the cardboard box and throw away the burger', it sounds like really bad advice.

Also, I can't help laughing at the 'don't forget to eat lots of snacks to keep your blood sugar up' suggestion!

gretchen

Post by gretchen » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:03 pm

Yeah, the first person to whom I mentioned the strategy of this diet had to reply with a lecture about how I should snack between meals to keep my metabolism going or I will never lose weight. If that idea worked, I should already be the thinnest person in the world as my daily routine was to constantly snack!
Gretchen
While you're alive . . . LIVE!