Richards Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Richard

Richards Daily Check-in

Post by Richard » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:40 am

Hi everybody!
This is my first post on the check in :)
I am really happy because this week I did excercise everyday, and only slipped up once as far as NO-S goes :)!!!!!
Even after really focusing on No-S for a week, I am starting to see definition in my triceps which is very exciting!
Enjoy the S-weekend :]
Richie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:46 am

I am really proud of you Richie!!! :D
8) Mom xxx
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:13 pm

Richard, I just wanted to say I hope you have a great week this week and I'm really proud of how well you did last week!
I'm lucky to have such a great NoS partner!! :wink:
Love,
8) Mom xxx

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:58 am

Hi guys!
The last few days have been really good! Though on Monday and Tuesday i didn't do excercise, I've been good all week on No-S :)
So far, i've had 8 days good and i'm gonna try to do 21 days on habit.
I'm trying to know what excercise i can do inside since the weight room at my middle school is open on only thursdays.
If you could give me some ideas, that would be great :J)
have a great day (and S-weekend!)
Richard

Plaid Dad

Post by Plaid Dad » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:03 pm

I don't have any tips on exercise, but I wanted to congratulate you on doing such a great job! I've only been No S-ing for four days and am also trying to make it to the 21-day mark. Go, Richie!

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:30 pm

Hi Richard!

I think it's great that you are taking charge of your own health while still in middle school! When the gym is closed, you could do push-ups and sit-ups at home on a carpet. Could you go for a walk around your neighborhood after school too? Good luck!

NewHope

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:43 pm

Congratulations, Richie! You're over a third of the way there.

As for exercise, do you have a timer?

I'd say set the timer for some small amount of time (say, 14 minutes :-)) then do any and all the exercises you can think of till it goes off: pushups, jumping jacks, squats, even situps and crunches if you can't think of anything else. Do a set of each, then cycle back through them all again. I think you'll be surprised at how intense a workout you can get in such a short amount of time without any special equipment (this is essentially what I do when I'm traveling and don't have a sledgehammer handy). I also sometimes shadow box with very light dumbells, if you have those around the house (just make sure you hold on to them TIGHT!).

Reinhard

wrigleyj

Post by wrigleyj » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:45 pm

Well done Richard! I am at the end of my 2nd week on habit (and looking forward to my S days and a few indulgences).

When I was a couple of years older than yourself I set myself up with some weights at home and kept it up for about a year. The muscle I built back then has stayed with me since then, but unfortunately I've laid a decent amount of fat over them ;-)

I would avoid too much weight training until you've stopped growing so fast and bodyweight exercises are great anyway, especially for toning.

I've found a couple of reasonable resources that you might find interesting. If I find anything better, I'll let you know.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tips ... aining.htm
http://www.exercisegoals.com/bodyweight-exercises.html
http://strengthtraining.suite101.com/ar ... do_at_home

Enjoy your weekend.

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:43 pm

Glad you are here. :lol:
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:09 am

Richard,
It would probably be more fun for you on this board if there were some more young people to visit with, but you are doing a very grown up project so you will have to just put up with us old folks. You are learning to take one day at a time and try to do what is right for that day and then move on. And it sounds like your mom is making sure the S days are special for you both.
I am also trying to do some weight training at home. I like the soft weighted balls to use in the house.

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:49 am

You have made a great start, Richard. Keep up the good work!

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:48 am

Wow, Richie you are going great guns!!!

Congrats on the No S and the exercise.

On the indoor exercise, things I have found that I have done in the past and my son has joined in:

- Sit ups
- push ups (you can even do these against a wall at first)
- leg lifts
- walking on the spot - lift knees to parallel with the floor
- leg raises

If you can spend some time outside, get your mum to kick a soccer ball around to you. I also enjoy skipping (very tiring).

Hugs
Mo
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:30 pm

Thanks so much everybody!!!!!!
i really appreciate the response i got from you guys so thank you :)
Also, thank you for the suggestions New Hope, wrigleyj, MerryKat and Reinhard about excercise and things I can do :)
I've been good for 11 days straight, so i've passed the halfway mark of 21 days. Its really exciting
Again, thank you guys so much!
Richie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:09 pm

I am so proud of you Richard!!
You may not remember this, but our first year on NoS in 2005, just by taming your sweets, within about 8 months you had lost over 2 inches from your waist.. All your pants which didn't fit, which I thought I'd have to throw out, ended up being too large for you and you needed a belt if to keep them from falling down!! So believe me, you will definitely lose weight if you give this time.. I am so glad you have had so many successes this month!!!
You are setting a great example for me!
But unlike that first time when we joined NoS, you are really much more mature and I know you aren't just doing this because *I* want a helper, but because you are smart enough to want to have a healthy body and feel good about this for *yourself*.
But thanks anyway for still being my helper, because it's so much better having a partner!
Have a great week (and pick up your laundry from the floor! hahah, just kidding)

8) Mom xxxx

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:01 am

Hi Guys :)
i've still been 100% good on No-S and have had 15 days on habit!
Today I was very proud of myself.. During one of my periods, the teacher was giving out munchkins for someones birthday. Instead of going along with everyone else and having the 3 munchkins, I just said NO!
I have also been working out alot and doing pushups and situps
since i've started working out, I've noticed that they were easier to do :)
Thank you all for the Support, and have a good S-weekend :)
Richard

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:18 pm

Wow, Richard! Saying no to Munchkins while everyone else was eating them--that is awesome for building your good habits! I hope you have a couple of very special treats of your choosing on your S days this weekend. You have surely earned the reward. Keep up the good work :D

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:29 pm

Richard wrote:Hi Guys :)
i've still been 100% good on No-S and have had 15 days on habit!
Today I was very proud of myself.. During one of my periods, the teacher was giving out munchkins for someones birthday. Instead of going along with everyone else and having the 3 munchkins, I just said NO!
I have also been working out alot and doing pushups and situps
since i've started working out, I've noticed that they were easier to do :)
Thank you all for the Support, and have a good S-weekend :)
Richard
Wooow, that really is a hurdle. Great job!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:13 pm

Richie, I swear I have never seen you so proud of yourself and I am extremely proud of you too!!!
You are doing the hard work of forming new habits that will last you and help you through your whole life!!!
Way to go!!! :D
8) Mom xxxxx

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:24 pm

Also Richie, I wanted to let you know that on the general forum here there's a great thread that the member L.A. Loser created for sharing those special times you stuck to your habits and had a proud moment and didn't give in to something tempting like those munchkins!

It's called "Post your proud moments you stayed on habit and resisted"

That's for everyone to use in addition to their own personal check in threads so we can all inspire each other :)
Love,

8) Mom x

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:35 pm

Keep up the good efforts.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:09 am

Hi guys,
today i'm sick, and made it an S-day
since yesterday i was good, i'm not going to fail it for today
since tomorrow would have been my 21st day on habit, i'm extending it to thursday because of today. Thank you all for your support and get ready for a new member of the 21 day club!
Peace and snuffles,
Richie :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:00 pm

Richie! I am so excited you are almost in the 21 days club!!!! :D
I'm glad you are starting to feel better and I wanted everyone to know that even when Richie was feeling sick this week, he was still focused on being very good on NoS!!! (even when *I* wasn't)
I'm very proud of your focus and determination!!
Love,
8) Mom x

Richard

Post by Richard » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:42 am

Hi guys!!!!!!
today, i am officially a member of the 21 day club!
this has been my 21st day on habit (excluding my sick days) and I'm really happy :)
Thank you all for your support
Richie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:29 pm

YAY!!!!!! :D
YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!!! :wink:
Love,
8) Mom xoxox

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi Richard!
I just wanted to say how great you did yesterday when you decided to throw out that stale donut instead of chosing to eat it, *even though* it was an S day!!
You are getting much more selective and that is a great thing!
I love you and am very proud of you.
Love,
8) Mom xxx

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:10 am

Excellent on getting the 21 days on habit. And just so you know, sick days do count as S days, and you don't need to add extra N days on to get to 21 days. You really did it, Richard!

How is it going now? I tend to stumble after I get my 21 days on habit, but then get back on track.

You are learning great habits that will last you a lifetime. Great work!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:46 am

Hi all! Thanks Crazy Cat Lady, and so sorry Richie hasn't really been on to reply directly.. I hope he signs on and checks in soon cos we have some very exciting new stats for him after a very successful first month.
Come on Richie tell everyone!!! :lol:

Also, I wanted to congratulate you Richard, for dumping that soda today when you decided it really didn't taste good and you preferred to not waste your S's with calories that just weren't worthy!
Great job!
Love,
8) Mom x