magicman's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:41 am

Um, not much to report. Still losing weight, still lifting weights. Weight on the body is going down, weight on the bar is going up. Both have slowed down a bit, but still going. Looking forward to getting below 400. It's coming.
That's quite a lot to report - great work! I know how exciting it is to move down into another weight-range bracket...good for you.

You have lots to smile and be happy about Magicman! Please don't be sad...

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

magicman

Post by magicman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:06 pm

Well, I'm not really sure what happened.

My friend I was lifting weights with went back to college, and in the absence of a training partner, I started going to the gym less and less.

As I started going to the gym less and less, my keeping track of metrics happened less and less. As my keeping track of metrics became less and less, I'm sure my daily calorie count became more and more.

I also seem to have wiped out what remaining lactose tolerance my body had with daily protein shakes made with milk. So suddenly I found myself avoiding milk and cheese, when both were staples of my diet, and replacing them calories that were less satiating.

So, with trepidation, my new source of motivation (which maybe I'll tell you all about later) has me getting back on the horse, and I'm back to my morning weigh in.

406.4 lbs
46.6% bf

The good news is I've developed enough good habits and/or changed my lifestyle enough that a few months without the cracking of the whip did not result in regain of weight. I actually continued to lose, albeit very very slowly.

This is a testament to No-S. When I went of my diet, I reverted back to my normal way of eating. And my normal way of eating is three plates a day, and not the excesses of my previous life.

On the other hand, I should be below 400 by now. So now I'm going to turn the fire on again. I've been telling people "I've lost 50 pounds this year" for too long. I need to turn that 50 into a 75.

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:46 pm

From what I read, do you eat two meals a day or three? I only assumed out of context... not sure which post lead me to this conclusion. I've been looking into two meals a day information, but haven't directly decided on it. Other than that, I've read all your posts and want you to know to keep it up! The name of the game is to maintain your losses, and it sounds like you've got it down! Hope to hear more and I agree with you about loose skin. I read that, too... that you have to lose even more for it to "snap back", albeit slowly. I face the same fear... and I'm DEATHLY afraid of surgery... I freak out at the thought. So for me, I will be having to wait a year or two just for it to look normal... but I think any natural way is better than surgery. So just believe in it... hopefully it's true!

magicman

Post by magicman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:54 pm

hilly6000,

When I'm counting calories I don't keep any rules on how many meals I eat. It could be six. It could be one.

When I'm not counting calories I tend to stick to two or three.

I'm currently counting calories, and I actually just bought my first food scale.

As tedious as it is, I find I do my best when I'm keeping close watch on calories. This of course means I'm not doing vanilla OS, and I've considered all the warnings and caveats of not going vanilla that have been put forward.

But unlike Reinhardt, I can't naturally eye excess if I'm stuck to a plate. What looks reasonable to me has always turned out to be too much.

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:49 pm

I was simply curious. I'm trying to look into it, and wondered if you ate two meals. I used to count calories... you couldn't get me to stop lol, but I just went to too many places I couldn't figure it out, so I stopped. But regardless. Do you know the exact science as to why you have to lose more for the skin to snap back? Is it simply because the fat isn't all the way gone?

Now that I think about it, I should probably restrict this to pm. Sorry about that!

magicman

Post by magicman » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:22 am

Yes, pretty much the idea is the fat isn't gone.

50 pounds overweight while gaining from a "normal" weight will wear differently than 50 pounds overweight while cutting from hundreds of pounds overweight. What looks like loose skin is actually 99% fat, 1% skin. Get rid of the fat and it's like sucking the air out of a ballon.

magicman

Post by magicman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:30 am

Well, I'm solidly under 400 lbs now. And I'm almost through the 390's.

390.4 lbs this morning and
44.9% bf

I've been tracking everything I eat on TheDailyPlate, which has helped me stay rigorous on calorie budgeting.

I'm thinking with a little bit of luck, I just may be able to hit 100lbs lost by January 1. I didn't make an New Year's Resolutions last years, instead doing something more like monthly resolutions (and before I ever discovered this site)... But the two most common New Year's Resolutions are to lose weight and quit smoking. I've done both. 100 lbs gone and no cigarettes since the Bush administration will make my New Year's celebration all the sweeter.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:24 pm

You're a tough guy. I'm impressed.
magicman wrote:Well, I'm solidly under 400 lbs now. And I'm almost through the 390's.

390.4 lbs this morning and
44.9% bf

I've been tracking everything I eat on TheDailyPlate, which has helped me stay rigorous on calorie budgeting.

I'm thinking with a little bit of luck, I just may be able to hit 100lbs lost by January 1. I didn't make an New Year's Resolutions last years, instead doing something more like monthly resolutions (and before I ever discovered this site)... But the two most common New Year's Resolutions are to lose weight and quit smoking. I've done both. 100 lbs gone and no cigarettes since the Bush administration will make my New Year's celebration all the sweeter.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:25 am

Congratulations on your weight loss & quitting smoking!
Girl Next Door
"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Starla

Post by Starla » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:21 pm

Congratulations, magicman! This is so impressive, and I hope you're very proud of what you've accomplished this year.

magicman

Post by magicman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:33 pm

I've been pushing at the low 390s now for a week. One week ago, 390.4. Today, 391.6. With three of the days inbetween at exactly 390.4. And while my weight has been rock solid, my bf% has fluctuated wildly.

I know I'm eating a caloric deficit, so my body has no choice but to lose weight... I guess I always get confused when the body takes so long to catch up.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:52 pm

Yeah, I get those plateau periods, too. Then my weight will drop a pound and a half. Go figure.
magicman wrote:I've been pushing at the low 390s now for a week. One week ago, 390.4. Today, 391.6. With three of the days inbetween at exactly 390.4. And while my weight has been rock solid, my bf% has fluctuated wildly.

I know I'm eating a caloric deficit, so my body has no choice but to lose weight... I guess I always get confused when the body takes so long to catch up.
Kevin

magicman

Post by magicman » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:59 pm

I'm wondering whether is may have something to do with sodium levels and water retention.

I always weigh in just after waking up and relieving myself of liquid waste to try to minimize fluctuations based on water retention, but maybe a good bit hasn't made it too my bladder yet because of sodium intake.

magicman

Post by magicman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:36 am

Long time since I checked in here. I've had some ups and downs, but I'm currently down to 362. I've had my ups and downs but on average over time I'm still losing weight. I'm confident that over time, eventually I will get down to my target weight.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:25 am

You're still a tough guy, and I'm still impressed. :)
magicman wrote:Long time since I checked in here. I've had some ups and downs, but I'm currently down to 362. I've had my ups and downs but on average over time I'm still losing weight. I'm confident that over time, eventually I will get down to my target weight.
Kevin

magicman

Post by magicman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:20 am

I've figured a lot of things out. Mainly that I'm highly insulin resistant. No sweets isn't enough for me, I really need to pretty much go low carb. I finally understand why I was always hungry, and it's because of insulin.

I've really been aided by learning to cook Sous Vide. I'm not really very good at cooking, but even I can vacuum pack a steak and put it in water. Easy yet perfect steak, chicken, pork, lamb, fish. I can't burn water, no matter how bad my mom said I am at cooking! 12 hours @ 130F steak... yum.

Getting away from eating prepacked food was a big part in getting the number going down again.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:46 am

BrightAngel's book review in "Why We Get Fat" would be of interest to you.
magicman wrote:I've figured a lot of things out. Mainly that I'm highly insulin resistant. No sweets isn't enough for me, I really need to pretty much go low carb. I finally understand why I was always hungry, and it's because of insulin.

I've really been aided by learning to cook Sous Vide. I'm not really very good at cooking, but even I can vacuum pack a steak and put it in water. Easy yet perfect steak, chicken, pork, lamb, fish. I can't burn water, no matter how bad my mom said I am at cooking! 12 hours @ 130F steak... yum.

Getting away from eating prepacked food was a big part in getting the number going down again.
Kevin

magicman

Post by magicman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:03 am

Kevin wrote:BrightAngel's book review in "Why We Get Fat" would be of interest to you.
Oh, yes, I love Gary Taubes.

Also, a couple days ago I officially hit 100 pounds down!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:01 pm

Congratulations on your success. I, too, believe that Gary Taubes is a life saver. Everyone always says that you need to find a "diet" that you can live with. It is not a diet, but a lifestyle. etc. etc. But those of us who have kept strict calorie control and suffered hunger know that it is not a lifestyle that can be sustained. And intuitive eating is a sham as far as I am concerned. It helps so much to understand the science behind our problem.

I am amazed at how quickly I settled into low carb and know I can eat this way for the rest of my life. I know you have much more weight to shed, but you no longer have a diet that you cannot live with. So, in a sense, you are already in maintenance. :D That is the way I think about it anyway.

Thanks for sharing the links. I love to watch Taubes videos over and over. I am not a scientist, so the repetition helps me retain. I always told my students that they really did not understand a concept until they could teach it to someone else.

Here is a blog that I have just discovered. You may already be familiar with him--Canadian doctor who had type 2 diabetes. Be sure to read the my story link (can't remember exact name) http://www.drjaywortman.com/blog/wordpress/
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

magicman

Post by magicman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:45 pm

The funny thing about intuitive eating is that as long as I cut out carbs, I pretty much can eat anything I want, as much as I want.

Like last night I made a low carb pizza from scratch. Ate 3/4 of it, and I was full. Put the last piece in the fridge.

Carby pizzas I would finish and still be hungry and wanting more, even if my stomach was literally stuffed.

I definitely agree about having already fixed the problem. Even though I'm still fat, I feel like I've already dodged the bullet of Diabetes, for example. It gets nothing but better from here.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:49 pm

Wow, I just read your thread (trying to read them all, I love seeing all the imspirational stories). You have done great. It might be hard for you to see as it is slow on a day by day basis but when reading and seeing the outstanding results, all I can say is

Way to go!
Berry

magicman

Post by magicman » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:11 pm

Strawberry Roan wrote:Wow, I just read your thread (trying to read them all, I love seeing all the imspirational stories). You have done great. It might be hard for you to see as it is slow on a day by day basis but when reading and seeing the outstanding results, all I can say is

Way to go!
Thanks. I have plenty to go, but the more I learn the easier it gets.

As of yesterday, I'm 347.4, 43.0% BF. Today will be my first day back into the gym. Yay squats! (I'm not going to be able to walk all weekend.)

magicman

Post by magicman » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Morning weigh in: 335.6 (42.3% BF)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:10 pm

That's significant weight loss in a month. Way to go.
Kevin