Nubie's No-S Lifestyle Log

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

nubiennelady

Nubie's No-S Lifestyle Log

Post by nubiennelady » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:43 pm

Hello all,

My name is Nubie and I'm a 36 year old woman from California. I lost 10lbs last year through WW and it drove me absolutely nutty (I've regained about 7lbs already :shock: ). I have an erratic work schedule as a college professor filled with meetings, classes, grading and my own research, so I need a plan with only a few simple rules that doesn't take the joy out of living. No-S seems like the plan for me. I need to lose 37lbs so I'm planning to add 4-5 days of exercise to my plan. My goal is to hit my goal by the end of the year.

Right now, my short term goal is to establish a 21 day habit of No-S. So here we go.....

nubiennelady

Post by nubiennelady » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:48 pm

Day 1: Monday (3/16)
SUCCESS

Comments: I honestly expected to have serious night-time cravings but I managed to space my meals out perfectly and stay busy so I didn't even bother walking into the kitchen. Raiding the fridge or pantry while my husband was asleep became part of my daily routine.

Exercise: Hip Hop Abs - Felt so ridiculous doing it that I only managed 15 minutes but it's 15 minutes more than I did last week.

Nubie
Restart: 207 (November 16, 2009)
Goal: 180 (First Day of Summer - June 20, 2010)

No investigation. No right to speak. - Confucius

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:51 pm

nubiennelady wrote:Day 1: Monday (3/16)
Felt so ridiculous doing it that I only managed 15 minutes but it's 15 minutes more than I did last week.
I like this. Good job.
8-bit is still awesome.

nubiennelady

Post by nubiennelady » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks VintageGreek.... :D

Day 2: Tuesday (3/17)
SUCCESS

Comments: Normally on my long teaching day, I usually end up having a sort of mini-binge complete with late night snacking. Fortunately, I managed to stay out of the kitchen. I packed a good lunch but had a not-so-calorie friendly dinner but since I'm on No-S, I don't have to worry about it :) That's a freedom I never felt while doing Weight Watchers.

Exercise: Turbo Jam 20 Minute Workout.

nubiennelady

Post by nubiennelady » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:06 am

Day 3: Wednesday (3/17)
SUCCESS with a caveat

Comments: I need to add super saturated fats to my No-S rules because the fries I had with dinner yesterday can never be a good thing except done in moderation. Salt and fat are my oral vices of choice so I need to reserve those indulgences until S-Days.

I was just being plain ol' lazy and didn't do my planned workout :shock:

Day 4: Thursday (3/18 )
SUCCESS

Comments: Although I'm sticking to my three squares, I'm hoping that in time, I'll do a better job of incorporating more vegetables, fruit and whole grains into my diet. All this week I've been focusing solely on following the three rules but eventually cleaning up my diet will be one of my goals.

Again, no damn exercise....Poor time management this morning.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:47 am

Hi Nubiennelady :)
Good work so far and keep it up!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:48 am

You can do it! It's day 28 for me and it's changed my life. Did you start up your habitcal to track your success? It's kinda neat and it keeps you involved. Good luck! Caroleann
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!!!

The only way to achieve something important that has been out of your reach is to become more assertive. It'll take stong motivation on your part to bodly go where you need to go

nubiennelady

Post by nubiennelady » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:08 am

Thanks for the support and encouragement Debs and Caroleann....

Day 5: Friday 3/20
SUCCESS

Comments: I hibernated most of the day because I had a flurry of meetings, writing grant applications, grading papers and the like. It's easy for me to No-S when I don't have to go to work (35 mile commute each way) so I just slept, played on the Wii and cooked dinner.

Exercise: 30 minutes of the FIRM 500 Calorie Workout

nubiennelady

Post by nubiennelady » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:40 pm

Days 6 and 7: Saturday (3/21) and Sunday (3/22)
EXEMPT

Comments: I really looked forward to my S-Days and surprisingly, I didn't lose my mind. In fact, I stuck with 3 meals although I had some chocolate on Sunday but otherwise, it wasn't bad at all. In fact, I added more vegetables this weekend so I'm ready to go No-Sing this week.

Exercise: None

nubiennelady

Post by nubiennelady » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:34 pm

Day 8: Monday (3/23)
SUCCESS

Comments: Good day all around because I didn't have to go into the office and face the temptation of the candy jar.

Exercise: FIRM Total Body Time Crunch (45 minutes)

Day 9: Tuesday (3/24)

Comments: This was a long, hard day because I teach from 10-7pm and my activism class held a rally to raise awareness about the Congolese Genocide so I missed a formal lunch and had a few handfuls of tortilla chips as my mid-day meal. Bad, bad idea. I left work ravenous, tired, cranky and had bloodshot eyes. :shock: Note to self: Never, ever let yourself get that hungry again no matter how busy you are.

nubiennelady

Post by nubiennelady » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:38 am

Had to restart today (4/1). Fortunately, I've managed to lose 3.3lbs since I started No-S and upped my exercise. Now that I've gotten my focus back, here goes another shot at 21 days on program.

Day 1 (4/1)
SUCCESS

Exercise: FIRM Ultimate Fat Burning Workout (40 minutes)

Commentary: I fell off the wagon on Wednesday, March 26th. I'm not really sure what happened to tell you the truth (I think pre-Spring Break exhaustion got the better of me) but I'm back with a venegance. This week I'm concentrating on making sure I get more fruits and vegetables, drinking plenty of water and getting in 5 solid workouts (done 3 thus far).

SavvyV

Hi Nubie

Post by SavvyV » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:42 am

Your life sounds as hectic as mine- -in an opposite kind of way. I'm a flight attendant. . .away from home about 3-4 days a week. When I'm away the NO S habit kicks in like clockwork, for the most part, because I have all my meals already planned out. But when I'm home around food and cooking. . .I have to be more diligent in training and maintaining my NO S habit.

Like you, I use a lot of workout DVD's mainly because I can take them with me. By the way, I love Hip Hop abs! :) But I also have a Bow Flex at home that helps keep me on track as well. My irregular work schedule and traveling all the time is definately a challenge for any diet. . .but with NO S, the habits are beginning to fall in place!

Congrats for losing those 3 pounds since starting NO S! It's ok if you have to restart- -that's just part of the plan to keep you persistant!

Hang in there!

SavvyV- - -the V is for Victorious!
If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution. ~Author Unknown

You can't lose weight by talking about it. You have to keep your mouth shut. ~Author Unknown

Doudou

Post by Doudou » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi! first of all congrats on doing so well with that heavy schedule of yours.

Just wanted to say I can relate to a lot of your posts. I'm 35, I work as an instructor in visual communications and I'm teaching 7 sections this semester, that, with all the meetings, committees, grading and still adjusting to my new baby boy has turned my life up side down!

so No s has given me some structure whereas before i would eat constantly to deal with the stress! it's still hard but it's some order in my chaotic life! :) good luck to both of us!

nubiennelady

Post by nubiennelady » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:48 am

I finally got my act together with exercise on 4/20/09. I have been consistently working out 5 days a week ever since but I've been struggling with my eating. I've lost 5lbs using Weight Watchers but I've had to cut that out with impending state IOUs and furloughs (I teach at a state university) to keep costs down and then I thought I'd try tracking my calories through Sparkpeople. All of it is making me crazy and the scale hasn't budged for weeks.

So I'm going back to the sanest program I know - No-S. I will officially restart on July 6th and I am really working on accepting smaller, slower weight loss as a victory. The snacking, esp. at night, has got to stop along with my overconsumption of sugary (albeit low-fat) foods.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:27 am

nubiennelady wrote:The snacking, esp. at night, has got to stop along with my overconsumption of sugary (albeit low-fat) foods.
The misconception that low-fat is somehow better is a false sense of security unfortunately. Low-fat almost always = higher sugar and salt, or whatever else, to make up for the taken out fat and hence taste.

I commend your efforts and think you are making some very wise choices. I'm sure everyone here will be more than happy to help where we can too. I know I will. :)

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:46 am

So I'm going back to the sanest program I know - No-S. I will officially restart on July 6th and I am really working on accepting smaller, slower weight loss as a victory. The snacking, esp. at night, has got to stop along with my overconsumption of sugary (albeit low-fat) foods.
You're right on! NoS is sane and easily doable. Having been down the same road as you (WW, counting points, etc.) I can totally relate. Nighttime eating was my weak spot as well.
Having restarted NoS on April 30, I can tell you that if you really focus and get the habits down, it really does get much easier. I don't think much about food in the evenings anymore. If I do, I tell myself that I only have ____ days until Saturday, and then I can eat it. If I am truly hungry, I will drink a glass on milk. So far since I restarted, I have lost 5.5 pounds. I have about the same amount of weight to get rid of as you, so I am aiming for the same time frame to do it in. Good luck - and you made a very wise choice in coming back.

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

nubiennelady

Post by nubiennelady » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:08 am

Day 1 - Success (7/6)

B: 12" Subway Spicy Italian Sandwich
L: 1 cup low fat cottage cheese, 1 gala apple, 2 slices wheat toast
D: Grilled Cheese Sandwich (made with fat free American), 1 cup yogurt
Exercise: Turbulence Training Workout A (Superset Lifting and Interval Cardio) - 40 Minutes

Comments: No urge to snack and avoided the fresh sweet potato pies I made for hubby over the weekend. It feels good getting back in control.

Day 2 - Success (7/7)

B: Bite-sized Shredded Wheat Cereal
L: Hamburger Helper Stroganoff and Mixed Vegetables
D: Same as Lunch
Exercise: 10 minutes treadmill (not motivated to do much else)

Comments: So far, so good. I keep telling myself that it's okay to go to bed a bit hungry and I keep drinking lemon flavored water to keep me thinking about something other than raiding the fridge.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:34 am

Comments: So far, so good. I keep telling myself that it's okay to go to bed a bit hungry and I keep drinking lemon flavored water to keep me thinking about something other than raiding the fridge.
And remember that you can also drink a glass of milk or fruit juice to help you out too!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

nubiennelady

Post by nubiennelady » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:27 am

Thanks for the tip Mimi - I wasn't aware of that. :D

Day 3 - SUCCESS

B: Leftover Hamburger Helper Stroganoff; Apple
L: Mo' Leftover Hamburger Helper Stronganoff
D: Baked Pork Chop, Mushroom Risotto, Steamed California Vegetables
Exercise: FIRM Speed Slimming Sculpt Express

Comments: Dealing with workplace drama which normally sends me binging but after dinner, I went up to the office to work which put a temporary lid on my runaway cravings.

nubiennelady

Post by nubiennelady » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:30 am

7/9 Failure :(

B - Crustless Quiche and Rainer Cherries
L - Spinach Greek Salad with Chicken
S - Grilled Chicken Sandwich
D - Grilled Chicken, Biscuit, Potato with Gravy and Green Beans
S - 2 Mo' Biscuits
Exercise: 15 minute treadmill run

Comments: Rough time with the snacking esp. late-night. No excuse for it really.

7/10 Success

B - Frontera Chicken Sandwich, Kettlechips
L - 2 Crustless Quiche, 2 cups steamed broccoli
D - 4 cups light popcorn

7/11 S-Day

Brunch and Dinner: BBQ Ribs and the Fixins

Comments: Today is my regular weekly weigh-in day and I'm down 0.5lbs. I'm pleased with this considering how little I worked out this week in relation to what I normally do.

nubiennelady

Post by nubiennelady » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:00 am

7/12 - S Day EXEMPT
Comments: Enjoyed a slice of lemon cake and a grande Caramel Frappaccino from Starbucks. My rule about sweets even on S days is to have something I can't keep in the house past the day that I purchased it.

7/13 - SUCCESS
PWO - Protein Berry Smoothie (did not count as meal)
B - Turkey Sandwich and Sunchips
L - Ham Sandwich
D - Dirty Rice with Steamed Vegetables
Exercise: Couch to 5K Week 1, Day 1, FIRM Jiggle Free Abs

7/14 - SUCCESS
B - 2 Regular Tacos
L - Chicken Fajita Pita
D - Shrimp Fried Rice
Exercise: FIRM Hi Def Sculpt Express

nubiennelady

Post by nubiennelady » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:38 pm

Restarting No-S on November 16th. I went off sometime in July and restarted WW in September. I lost 9.4lbs but my snacking is out of control AGAIN and I know that I need to make No-S my lifestyle, not some diet. Quite frankly, I'm tired of counting points and obsessing about food.

I am working out fairly regularly (completed the Couch to 5K running program in October).

Goal One: Establish 21 Day No-S Habit

nubiennelady

Post by nubiennelady » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:57 am

Day 1: SUCCESS

Restarted No-S today. So far, so good.

B - Bowl of Corn Flakes, 1/2 cup 2% milk, orange
L - Footlong Spicy Italian Sub (from Subway)
D - 1 cup broccoli, 2 skinless chicken thighs, 1 cup white rice

Exercise: FIRM Cardio Sculpt Blaster

nubiennelady

Post by nubiennelady » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:43 am

Day Two: SUCCESS

B - One Beef Hot Link, 1 slice whole wheat bread, 0.5 cup nonfat Greek yogurt, 1/2 apple
L - 2 Lean Pockets, 1 cup California vegetables
D - One chicken thigh, 1 cup wheat egg noddles with meat sauce, 2 cups green vegetables

Exercise: 30 minute jog

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:11 am

Good for you! Yes, No S is definitely a more sensible way to eat.

nubiennelady

Post by nubiennelady » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:10 am

Thanks for stopping by Clarinetgal :lol:

Day Three: SUCCESS

B - 2 Slices Whole Grain Toast, 1 tbsp Margarine, 2 oz deli sliced ham
L - 1 cup chili with beans, 1 cup mixed vegetables
D - Chicken Fajita Pita, 2 regular tacos (probably more than a plateful but this was my 12 hour teaching day and I was starving)

Exercise: FIRM Super Body Sculpt

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:55 am

You're doing great. Keep going :)