VintageGeek's Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

VintageGeek

VintageGeek's Daily Check-in

Post by VintageGeek » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:44 pm

Oh, thank God there won't be any calorie counting here. Actually, I'm not entirely certain what I'll do without counting calories. It'll be a change, for sure.

I started this diet on a Friday afternoon, so I'll just skip over the weekend and go straight to today. (Trust me, the weekend didn't count. Really. It didn't.)

So I've been a serial (but relatively healthy) snacker all my life. Obviously, I figured the snacking would be the hardest to get over. Turns out it's a combination of snacking and sweets that'll kill me. I suddenly hate the company I work for, because even though Easter is weeks away, there are creme-filled eggs and Hershey's minis and Kisses EVERYWHERE I LOOK. To refrain from snatching one is taking every ounce of willpower I have, and I'm wishing I'd had a bigger breakfast. And a bigger lunch.

Speaking of lunch, somebody ate with me today and we were talking about diets and I told her what I was doing. She's sort of a notorious witch around the office, so it didn't surprise me when she said, "Yeah, but that won't work because you need snacks. They say you need to eat six times a day, three meals and three snacks. But hey, if it's working for you, whatever."

Save me from the little tiny chocolates, someone. Please.

So far, we have success.

(EDIT: I am, at this moment, sipping decaf coffee to hopefully better deal with the overwhelming desire to snarf on chocolate.)
8-bit is still awesome.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:28 pm

Good luck man! It's good to have a fellow geek here. What type of geek are you? I'm a software developer.

Do you have a particular goal weight? I read your urban ranger post too. That sounds interesting.

I completely understand on the snacking. That's the hardest part for me. Candy is so readily available all around me, tempting me constantly while I'm at work. I look forward to reading your updates!

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Thank you sir. My geek style is a bit hard to label, unfortunately (it would make these sorts of forum greetings much easier). I guess I'd say I'm mostly a video game geek (surprise surprise), but that's not to say I don't throw down with some M:TG while watching ST:TNG and drinking Bawlz every once in a while. Unfortunately, I never had the brain power to pursue programming as a career, but I sometimes unwind by doing some calculus or coding basic "Hello World" type programs in C++.

I don't really have a goal weight because I've been sitting at the same weight (give or take five or ten) for the last five years, despite the fact that my figure has been fluctuating wildly all along. Factor in the weight of fat vs. the weight of muscle, and it all becomes too confusing to me (I'm not an anatomy geek, clearly). I really like Reinhard's "ideal habits will lead to ideal weight" concept, because it allows for the wiggle room necessary when dealing with individuals.

Hopefully I won't fail at updating regularly. I like it here so far.
8-bit is still awesome.

magicman

Post by magicman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:11 am

Welcome, Red Mage. WARRIORS! Revive the power of the ORBS!

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:04 pm

End of Day One Results

I guess I probably ought to start posting my daily results the next day, so there aren't any cliffhangers like yesterday's.

I was able to face the birthday cake giant and escape unscathed, but I did have to scarf down a pretty hasty and awkwardly thrown-together dinner. I normally eat at around 7:30, but by 6:45 I was ready to eat my own hands, so I made a really big sandwich.

On a different note, I'm wondering what this new habit is going to do to my energy level. For the last few years I've been growing more and more tired, and lately it's been so bad that in the middle of the morning, while the phones are ringing and the email is chiming, I could curl up into a ball in the middle of the floor and be out in seconds. I pretty much feel like that every waking second of the day, despite good exercise, healthy food, daily multivitamins, etc. I've recently given up coffee (so help me Jesus), so I can't rely on heavily-caffeinated hot beverages - and tea is just so inadequate - to keep me from zonking at 9:00 every night.

So we'll see if it's affected.

Day One: SUCCESS! (I like blue.)
8-bit is still awesome.

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:40 pm

VintageGeek wrote:Day One: SUCCESS! (I like blue.)
Awesome, Vintage! Keep up the good work.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:02 pm

Day Two Results

So I adjusted the size of my breakfast and lunch, and made both just a little bit too much to eat (for example, at breakfast I usually have half a cup of Grape Nuts with half a cup of soy milk - I've upped both measurements to two-thirds of a cup). This was kind of nice, because at both breakfast and lunch, I felt compelled not to finish everything on my plate. This is a totally new and different experience for me, and I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would.

Incidentally, at lunch I had a tiny apple and some huge strawberries, and they were almost the same size, which was really weird.

Yesterday after work I had to get home and basically turn around and run out the door again, so I threw a bunch of leftovers on a plate, nuked it, and scarfed as fast as I could. NOTE: This method is not conducive to a happy eating experience. Worse, I'll have to do it again tonight. Thankfully, I have some cheese pizza and pre-chopped vegetable toppings that should come in handy for a quick dinner. But I won't always have an easy out like that, so I'm going to have to come up with a better way to deal with rushed dinners.

The stretch between lunch and dinner was miserable again, but a tiny bit better than Day One because of the huge lunch I ate.

So, I guess I can say...

Day Two: SUCCESS!

(PS: This morning I was preparing the remainder of the birthday cake to bring in to work. I got a huge glob of icing on my finger. Wanna guess what I did with it? I washed the sucker off. The fact that I didn't lick my finger like a dog is a really big deal for me, and I'm proud of myself.)
8-bit is still awesome.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:56 am

Day Three Results:

So I managed to avoid the birthday cake temptation all morning, since it (surprisingly) took that long for it to vanish. That stretch between lunch and dinner nearly killed me - I feel hunger to distraction, which isn't good for me or my job. I'm thinking very seriously about adding a fourth meal, although a part of my brain considers that cheating. I'll spend Days Four and Five trying to find that "perfect" amount of food and "perfect" timing so that I'm not totally starving myself. If I still feel like I need to, I'll add a "tea" or something starting next Monday.

I think one of the problems is at lunchtime - I like to try and finish eating in half an hour, so I can go and walk during the remaining half hour. For some reason, I have trouble finishing all that food in only thirty minutes, so I guess I'll also have to work on foods that can be consumed quicker (?) or taking a shorter walk. Which wouldn't kill me, I suppose.

I had a glass of soda at dinner, but since I decided at the beginning that sodas consumed with a meal wouldn't count as "sweets," I guess I'm in the clear. I still feel bad about it though. I haven't had a soda in a couple of weeks.

Also, after going to the place I went last night, the people I was with wanted to go to KFC. I sat through an entire meal with them without consuming a solitary morsel of food (but I did swipe a couple of biscuits for lunch today).

All said, I think I can say...

Day Three: SUCCESS!
8-bit is still awesome.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:18 pm

Day Four Results:

So I think I may have hit on the right amount of food (or possibly too much) yesterday. I had a big bowl of Grapenuts with almond milk and almonds (yeah, it's redundant, but the almond milk doesn't taste like almonds and it doesn't have much protein) and a huge banana. This tided me over surprisingly well until the late lunch I always take on Thursdays, during which I consumed what I thought was a reasonable amount of macaroni and cheese, those KFC biscuits, a tiny apple and a few carrot sticks. It seems like a lot, but for me it was pretty measly.

And yet the hunger, she did not come. And when I got home, instead of vaulting for the kitchen and shoveling a plate of food down my throat, I did something else for a while. Then I ate a sandwich - get this - because I figured I probably should. I wasn't hungry. I just knew I would get hungry later, and wanted to prevent that from happening.

It was strange, and there was something almost sad about my day, as though hunger was always a companion that's gone now. But I think if I stick through it I'll find that hunger wasn't a very nice companion anyway.

Day Four: SUCCESS!

I'm really excited by the way to hear about everyone's S days on Monday. :twisted:
8-bit is still awesome.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:13 pm

VintageGeek wrote: (PS: This morning I was preparing the remainder of the birthday cake to bring in to work. I got a huge glob of icing on my finger. Wanna guess what I did with it? I washed the sucker off. The fact that I didn't lick my finger like a dog is a really big deal for me, and I'm proud of myself.)
That is wicked Vintage Geek!
Such a hard thing to do. When we are all by ourselves with nobody to see, the times when we say "no" to ourselves, become like "Super hero" moments!!!
Great feeling!!!

I read the thing you mentioned about being sad you don't have that constant "hunger" accompanying you.. The thing I wanted to ask about that, is, was it really hunger or was it just a raging appetite?
I'd say that a little bit of hunger, just a while before mealtime is a very healthy thing actually.

It will all work out in time. Perhaps you are actually overloading your meals just to get to the next one and not worry about being too hungry, but apparently, you may not want to do that as much in the upcoming weeks.
I'd say, just eat till you are comfortably full, not stuffed.

Sorry bout all the hasty meals and rushing around.
You can find ways to turn five minutes into a calm meal time.
Just quiet yourself before.
Personally, I always find that giving thanks for the food before I eat, always seems to make, whatever I eat, whether it's simply cheese on toast and coffee, or an elaborate meal, into *a meal* and one to be enjoyed and savoured, rather than a "scarfed down" moment.
In fact. I refuse to eat anything unless I am seated and relaxed.
Even if I only have a few minutes.

Have a great S weekend and nice to read your posts this week!
Good luck,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:14 pm

Those are excellent thoughts, deb. Thank you.

I'm not very good at interpreting my hunger signals - I never really have been. It seems (and I'm fairly certain this isn't actually what's happening) that I'll be fine, fine, fine...then it feels like I've been punched in the face by the Hunger Monster. My stomach cramps, my head spins, I lose focus and get really cranky. I've considered that I may have hypoglycemia, but my symptoms don't really seem as serious as the ones associated with real hypoglycemia.

I guess I made it sound like I was always hungry all the time, but really I wasn't. I'd just get sudden moments like that and immediately reach for a cookie out of my desk drawer. I never really made myself wait and see if it would pass. But this week I'm discovering that sometimes it does pass, and sometimes it doesn't. It's an unusual phenomenon - I've spent a lot of my time thinking about food, but not much time thinking about my own hunger.

But I really like your idea of giving thanks. I used to be in the habit of doing that, before life got crazy. It always, like you said, gave the food some significance, and it put things into perspective for me. Thanks for reminding me of that.
8-bit is still awesome.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:28 pm

V.G. - I like your writing, very intelligent! You sound as if you are doing well so far. Interesting psychology about the sandwich. I've also felt that way at times. I should eat, so I'm eating... Be careful tomorrow, it's strange to wake up on Saturday and think "I can eat whatever I want." I always almost not know what to do with myself. Have a great weekend and plan a special treat or two!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:01 pm

VintageGeek wrote:Those are excellent thoughts, deb. Thank you.

I'm not very good at interpreting my hunger signals - I never really have been. It seems (and I'm fairly certain this isn't actually what's happening) that I'll be fine, fine, fine...then it feels like I've been punched in the face by the Hunger Monster. My stomach cramps, my head spins, I lose focus and get really cranky. I've considered that I may have hypoglycemia, but my symptoms don't really seem as serious as the ones associated with real hypoglycemia..
You're welcome :)
Ummm those symptoms sound very much like hypoglycemia actually.
I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant and that is *exactly* how it would feel (but add to it raging mood swings)
At any rate, the refined sugar fixes are usually what we think of first, but if you do this, you just set yourself up for more of the same.. but I am sure you know this.
I guess just start paying a bit more attention.
Real hunger has real symptoms. The feeling of empty stomach grumbling etc..
Don't ignore that or you will get into a danger zone.
I like to keep an "emergency" box of raisins in the car for times when I'm already in the red zone, if I have spent too much time ignoring my own signals and find I'm already feeling messed up.
Doesn't happen too much unless I'm having a particularly chaotic day.

Lately I've been allowing myself a fourth "meal" a little before bedtime, so I don't wake up in the middle of the night and raid the cabinets at 3 am.
It's usually a Granny Smith apple or a pear.
I guess you could say I am virtual plating or snacking but since I'm doing it fairly regularly, I have just decided to deem it a meal.

Maybe if you know you can have a fourth small healthy meal (not KFC with extra gravy hahahah ) you will be less inclined to worry about over eating during your three earlier meals with that as a "safety" just in case.
Again, I'm not encouraging random snacking, rather a default healthy meal to close the day.

At any rate.
Keep it up!
It's not easy down South to eat healthily!
I lived in New Orleans for two years and I think they just deep fried *everything*!!!
And Texas is the home of the chicken fried steak :wink:
Congrats for your successful week and looking forward to following your journey :)
8) Debs

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:06 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:It's not easy down South to eat healthily!
I lived in New Orleans for two years and I think they just deep fried *everything*!!!
Isn't that the truth! At our state fair in Louisiana, you can get fried candy bars!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:19 pm

Hahah!! I bet!!! :D

Well, in all seriousness, fried food is really quite prevalent.
I used to *LOVE* those oyster po boys, but wow, after two years of eating like mad NOLA style, I gained about 50 lbs.
I also recall that most vegetables in restaurants always had an infusion of bacon fat or something like that, and be accompanied by an Onion Mum!!!
LOL

Have a good weekend,
8) Debs

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:13 pm

Day Five Results:

I'm afraid I may have waited too long to post this, because quite frankly I can't really remember very much about what happened yesterday. No, I am not a heavy drinker, nor do I smoke anything, I just have trouble recalling day-to-day details, even shortly after they occur.

That said, I do know that yesterday was pretty good as far as Fridays go. I was extremely rushed on a huge project at work, and I had to work through lunch, which made me a bit apprehensive, since that's usually prime time for bad food choices. I didn't make the best choice in the world, but I did all right. I walked down the street and picked up some gorditas. Like I said, not exactly the pinnacle of health food, but when stuffed with beans and cheese and nopalitos (cactus), I suppose I could do worse.

That very same project also kept me at work late. By the time I got home, I was tired and...still not hungry. Once again, as I had done on Thursday night, I ate simply because I figured it would be a good idea.

So I'm on my first "real" S-Day and I'm looking back on my week and thinking...

Okay, that was too easy.

This morning I walked down to a bakery and got a cup of coffee (bad geek) and an eclair, which was what I had been dreaming about for a couple of days. It was a wonderful treat, but it was very clear, both to my mind and my body, that a treat was all it was. It was delicious, but it hardly "hit the spot" the way I was expecting it to. So a couple of hours later, I had a more "normal" breakfast. I may have some ice cream tonight, but otherwise I really don't see the point in going crazy today.

But blah blah, more on all that tomorrow.

Day Five: SUCCESS!!

PS: Thanks, everyone, for your comments. To be honest, the only NOLA-style food I've ever really enjoyed was gumbo, which seems to be on the "lighter" side of things (if such a thing as "light" New Orleans fare exists). But then, I've never been to New Orleans, and I'm sure that once I go for the first time, I'll understand. Oh, and thanks for your compliment, Nichole. It means a lot coming from someone who gets to incorporate writing into their daily work life.
8-bit is still awesome.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:56 pm

Day Six Results

My first S day wasn't as crazy as I thought it would be. As I posted yesterday, it started with an eclair, but it went uphill from there. True, true, lunch was half a bag of popcorn shared with a friend while watching a movie, and true that the vegetarian Hamburger Helper I made for dinner was far too delicious to restrict to just one helping, but for the most part it was a pretty naturally restricted day. I even looked long and hard at the cupcake I'd been saving for a few days before handing it over to that same friend, who enjoyed it very much.

Oh, and I had some ice cream last night. Just a tiny bit. I have to say, the No S thing has really helped me to think not just about my food as a whole, but also about each individual meal. Even though I was eating what I wanted yesterday, I could still feel the naturally obvious principles of No S guiding my hand every time I opened the fridge.

Day Six Results: No S Rocks.
8-bit is still awesome.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:15 pm

Why does Hamburger Helper have to be so damn good!!! LOL :wink:
Great idea to make it Veggie style.
My Son Richie has been vegetarian for almost three years now.
I could see that being really good with soycrumbles mixed in.

Sounds like you had a very nice S day!
They are always really fun days for us.
8) Debs

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:45 pm

Day Seven Results, or how I've come to love No S in one short week.

Because of my schedule on Sundays, I sort of already inadvertently eat like it's an N day. Big breakfast, stuff to do all morning, big lunch, long nap, big dinner. No second helpings of anything, and no snacks, although I did have a good-sized bowl of ice cream with sliced strawberries on top after dinner last night. (Oh wait, I just remembered that I had a handful of Nilla Wafers right after awakening from my nap.)

Which brings me to yet another phenomenon of this lifestyle: my desserts used to be accurately described as "feeding frenzy of anything in which sugar is among the top three ingredients." Now, I'm taking my time with my desserts, making them special and interesting.

So that's cool.

Day Seven: No S Rocks

PS: Deb, good for your son Richie! I'll admit that I'm not quite a vegetarian because I do eat fish. If I didn't, I would never be able to eat anywhere because I live in Texas. But I made the Hamburger Helper (the Italian Tomato Basil Penne is a vegetarian recipe, and also happens to be my favorite flavor) with Morningstar Farms veggie crumbles, and that was pretty good. Next time I'm going to try it with the Morningstar Farms "steak strips." I'm excited to taste the results.
8-bit is still awesome.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks VG :)
Yeah, Richie is a Pescetarian too..
Just cut out all other meat.
I'm glad cos I think fish is healthy.
Thanks for the tip.
Prob with Hamburger helper is that it's so yummy, then you want to have seconds!! :wink:
Have a nice week.
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:33 pm

VintageGeek wrote: Next time I'm going to try it with the Morningstar Farms "steak strips." I'm excited to taste the results.
The steak strips are actually tasty but I found their texture is really mushy..
I like their veggie sausage patties.
Would probably be really good to add a can of cooked beans and make it chili style, for extra protein and taste.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:42 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:I like their veggie sausage patties.
Me too. They're my favorites.
gratefuldeb67 wrote:Would probably be really good to add a can of cooked beans and make it chili style, for extra protein and taste.
I love you.
8-bit is still awesome.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Hahah!! :lol:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:27 am

Yeah Vintage, I just made the Hamburger helper and guess what?
Morning star makes sausage crumbles now.
Came out very yummy!
Beware, the crumbles are pretty peppery and spicy.
I had added a few shakes of cayenne pepper, cos I love spice.. But actually it wasn't really necessary, and ended up being a bit too much.
This is actually the first time I've had this veggie style.
Tis good :D
8) Debs

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:03 pm

I'm so glad to hear that you tried and liked it! I had no idea that Morningstar Farms makes sausage crumbles now. That sounds awesome, especially since their Italian Sausage and Breakfast Sausage are possibly their best accomplishments.

You are living proof that just because you eat meat, that doesn't mean you HAVE to consume ONLY meat at EVERY meal.

Thanks for helping me out, Deb!

So, down to business:

Day Eight Results:

So my first N day after my first S days was...less easy than I thought it would be. And I figured as much when I packed a big lunch. Which, of course, I didn't finish because I wanted to get out on my walk. I really need to figure something else out, because I again found myself at 2:30 in the afternoon on the verge of panic. By the time I got home, I was holding out more out of principle than anything else. I was weary and ready to drop, but instead of taking a nap I decided to go for a run.

Now normally, I run in the morning, then frantically shower and stuff my face with breakfast before leaving for work. But running in the afternoon was a completely different experience. First of all, it wasn't 5:00 in the morning, so there was a lot more going on to look at. Secondly, because I didn't feel the need to get home at a certain time, I didn't feel rushed - which made the run much more enjoyable and more productive. Finally, and this is the very best part, I didn't have to get up at 5:00 this morning. Instead, I got to sleep in until 6:30, which means I got a full eight hours of uninterrupted sleep. Haven't gotten that in months.

Oh yeah, and it totally distracted me from my hunger, which means that instead of throwing crap on a plate and scarfing, I actually had the energy and the patience to create a well-planned, healthy dinner that was extremely satisfying.

So...

Day Eight: SUCCESS!!
8-bit is still awesome.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:25 pm

Wow you rock!!!
Congratulations on your successful day despite it being a bit more difficult.
I'm sure you will adjust in time.
Way to go on your afternoon run!! :D
Have a nice day Vintage.
8) Debs

ps.. I don't really like having to cook two different dinners, and I enjoy vegetarian meals, so it's no big thang.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:28 pm

Finding the right time to exercise is certainly a challenge. I have tried getting up at 5:30 to exercise before work, but, like you, I feel rushed and sometimes I just can't get up! So I exercise as soon as I get home from work, around 4:30/5 o'clock, depending on when I get home. Then I cook dinner and relax. It works out pretty well! Two times or so per week it's a meal I have to bake, so there's time to relax while it's cooking. Another thing I think you'll find is you have a lot more energy in the afternoon than in the morning. First thing in the morning, I have no energy to push myself to do well. I just feel sluggish, but not in the afternoon.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:31 pm

Day Nine Results:

So yeah, I'm going to be running in the afternoons now. The knowledge that, upon arriving at the house, I would be able to turn around and go sweat for half an hour made my long, food-less afternoon a great deal more reasonable. And once the run was over, I cooked a huge dinner, cleaned the kitchen and did some weight training while I watched the President tell the country to chill the F out.

As far as food went, yesterday was about normal. My lunch was the same size as usual, but I opted to bring more filling foods, which helped a little, but not really enough to make much of a difference. For dinner I made the most phenomenal pasta sauce I've ever had in my life and ate it on top of a plate of spaghetti. And I had two glasses of Chilean cab as well.

It was a really, really nice night overall, so huzzah.

And then I overslept this morning and was late to work, so bummer.

Day Nine: SUCCESS!!
8-bit is still awesome.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:05 pm

Day Ten Results:

Man, I hate Wednesdays. Even though I do fun stuff after work on Wednesdays, for some reason they just drain the life out of me, and by the end of the night I'm ready to start rolling some heads.

Last night I didn't have time after getting home from work to eat, so I had to struggle through my Wednesday night event without having eaten in nine hours. That's, like, three times longer than I need to be waiting to eat. I thought I was going to kill somebody.

I got home and warmed up a huge plate of pasta, had a glass of wine, and went to sleep, but for what was probably the first time in my life, I woke up hungry in the middle of the night. Luckily, I fought it off, but it was unsettling - I'm never hungry in the middle of the night, definitely not enough to wake me up, and I ate more than usual later than usual. It didn't make any sense.

So I'm trying to figure that one out.

Otherwise, I suppose things went okay food-wise yesterday. I had to go out for lunch (as I'll need to do today) but I've found that there are a lot of healthy options near my office, so I'm not too worried about it.

Day Ten (other than being generally pissy all day): SUCCESS!!
8-bit is still awesome.

marleah

Post by marleah » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:21 pm

VintageGeek wrote:I cooked a huge dinner, cleaned the kitchen and did some weight training while I watched the President tell the country to chill the F out.
This made me laugh. I do sort of the same thing as you - I usually go work out (run or lift weights, depending on the day) after work, and so it makes waiting until dinner a lot easier - I don't want to snack before exercise because I don't want to upchuck at the gym (or just feel generally yucky), so I can wait until dinner. And dinner is always so much better after exercise, because you're helping replenish everything.

Great job!!
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:17 pm

Day Eleven Results:

It does not feel like I've been doing this for eleven days already.

How timely, then, that I would have my first big FAILURE on the eleventh day.

I was fine, all day. Ate a big breakfast, a healthy lunch, but I knew that dinner was going to be a challenge. Every once in a while, my three best friends and I get together for "movie night." It's a fairly regular occurrence, but because it has to cater to all our work schedules, it's hard to pin down a regular day or interval. But not only is it movie night, it's also really really good food night. One of my friends is a phenomenal cook, and always goes all out for us. And when I heard he would be making homemade corn dogs (with tofu dogs for me), homemade onion rings with sesame seed breading, and Bananas Foster, I pretty much knew my N-Day was screwed.

I got there right after work, and immediately started helping out. There was a bowl of cookies. I had a few (FAILURE).

The meal came, and I had a huge plate of food (SUCCESS). Then I had another (FAILURE). Then I had Bananas Foster (FAILURE). With ice cream (FAILURE!).

Do I feel bad about it? Never! That food was far too good, and my friend slaved far too long to make it just right. (Excuses, excuses.) It was worth it though, it really, really was.

Now, however, I have to choose from the following options:
1) Start following the N-Day plan when movie nights fall on N-Days no matter what's for dessert.
2) Make movie nights S-Days (they're really too frequent for this).
3) Continue to fail on movie nights and just "mark it and move on," as they say around here.

I'll figure something out, I'm sure. But hey, one failure in eleven days is way, way better than I've ever done with...well, with anything in my whole life.

So I'm cool.

Day Eleven: FAILURE!! (I don't really like orange.)

PS: The movie was Casino Royale.
8-bit is still awesome.

marleah

Post by marleah » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:22 pm

Hey, one of the main steps is being OK with whatever happens - good days or "not so good" days. Nice honest post! And Casino Royale is pretty good - Quantum of Solace too I thought.

Anyway - sounds like you got to enjoy some delicious food and enjoy time with your friends. You could always schedule "s-events" if you don't want to make it a full s-day. So... follow your N day plan for breakfast and lunch, then for dinner have an s-event and try to limit it maybe to just the dessert, not the pre-dinner cookies. :) Having a full N-day might just be too difficult and set you up for failure.

You're still off to a great start!
- vegan grad student -

Spook

Post by Spook » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:37 pm

Sounds like you're doing great and being very honest with yourself - well done!

I'd personally go with option (c) in your position, although an alternative secret option (d) might be to allow yourself an exception to some of the No S rules on movie nights, e.g. dessert is OK but no seconds or pre-dinner snacks. But I'd probably keep it simple for now, and get used to failing once in a while - it's good for your sanity.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:37 pm

Day Twelve Results

So yesterday was okay. Breakfast and lunch were pretty normal. I found that if I eat lunch slowly, the full feeling lasts longer. When I got home, I wasn't too hungry, but I knew I had to eat, because I was going to a big movie event that night (yeah, I watch a lot of movies). The event itself I had already determined would be an S-Event, because my job was to make popcorn, and it would be prudent if I could have some, for the purposes of making sure it tasted good, of course (it did).

It also occurred to me yesterday that I haven't really laid out my goals here, so I guess I'll go ahead and do that now.

I am not in this to lose weight. According to the "numbers," I am, in fact, twenty pounds overweight. But I believe (as do others) that if I were to lose twenty pounds, I would look sickly. I'm pleased with my body, and I believe myself to be fit and healthy.

I'm in No-S for the discipline. My grazing and snacking habit wasn't doing me any good, and it seemed to me that I was playing right into the whole "whatever you want, whenever you want it" culture that I otherwise despise. It is important to me to be able to put realistic expectations on myself, and meet them consistently. I'm hoping that by "training" on the No-S diet, I will be better equipped to make more drastic habit changes in my life, none of which are particularly relevant here.

As I've stated a few times around here, I do not believe in scales. Individual people are too unique to respond to one teaching style, one psychological treatment, one diet plan, or one set of numbers. I want to spend the rest of my life developing good, sustainable habits, which is why Reinhard's Everyday Systems give me such a positive boost.

So I guess that's what I want.

Day Twelve: SUCCESS!! (with an S-Event)
8-bit is still awesome.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:37 pm

Let me just say...

Thank God for S-Days.

What a miserable weekend.

Days Thirteen and Fourteen: S Days Rock
8-bit is still awesome.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:48 pm

Day Fifteen Results

Sorry for the brief and downtrodden post yesterday, but I had a craptacular weekend, and if I had not had that bar of dark chocolate with blueberries and almonds, well, I almost assuredly would have consumed a full dozen doughnuts in my need for emotional snackery.

This does not happen often. Usually when I get upset, I go for a run or I do dishes and smash things around in the sink (I've only broken one plate). Rarely do I eat to make myself feel better. I think I used to, but I certainly wasn't conscious of it at the time. That said, running and doing dishes didn't work, and so I made the conscious decision to sit down and have a third of that chocolate bar. The deliberate act of sitting down, focusing on the chocolate, and taking slow bites was remarkably calming. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I'm going to play it safe and just say that it wasn't the chocolate that calmed me down - it was my own decision to calm down that did it.

Anyway, yesterday was blissfully back to normal, and I was surprised at how much I'd been looking forward to the return of N-Days. I think it was because my S-Days felt so chaotic this weekend. Anyway, I think I'm going to try to stick to a basic N-Day structure even on S-Days and see if that helps.

Also, this week I'll be working on portion control. Today's lunch is smaller than my lunch has been since before I started No-S. We'll see if I eat my No. 2 pencil before the day is out.

Day Fifteen: SUCCESS.
8-bit is still awesome.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:01 pm

Sorry I wasn't checking in this weekend Vintage!!
It was Richies Birthday Sunday, so was involved with that.
Really sorry you had a rough few days emotionally.
Glad to hear you didn't compound the problems by just stuffing your face with loads of donuts..
A few is okay, but that kind of behaviour, is so *un loving* to ourselves!
I am not saying I am immune to that reaction myself as when I'm really sad, I definitely lean on food very heavily.
Hope the rest of the week is
*SPECTACULAR* and not the other one you mentioned!
haha :)

((((Hugs!!!))))
8) Debs x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:02 pm

ps... Wow that Blueberry and almond dark chocolate sounds *WICKED*!!
Where can one obtain this food of the Gods??
8) Debs x

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:39 pm

Deb, that was a Ghirardelli chocolate bar, and can be purchased at any major grocery store. There are other kinds as well.

And thanks for the encouragement. I'm pulling for a good week too.
8-bit is still awesome.

marleah

Post by marleah » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:54 pm

Way to go recognizing where those feelings were coming from and how to make it so that YOU were calming yourself down rather than letting something else do it for you. Great job!

And everyone deserves some dark chocolate once in a while ...
- vegan grad student -

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:29 am

Day Sixteen Results

Gaaahh! I need things to pick up at work, like now.

As it turns out, even if I'm not chronically an emotional eater, I definitely AM a "bored" eater. And in this economy, someone in my position has little to do except be bored all day long. It was so, so very difficult not to reach for a snack during that long afternoon. Even though my lunch was very satisfying at the time, the full feeling wore off quicker than usual. I don't know what this means. Maybe it's the type of food I chose? It was a peanut butter sandwich on large-sized whole wheat with a ton of fruit.

I also had another run yesterday, which marks the first time in a few months that I've run three days in a row. I'll be taking a break today. I really hope I didn't injure my leg, but it hurts a lot. I've got a cold compress on it right now.

The urge to have more dinner was strong last night, probably again because of boredom. Apparently I need a better job and a hobby. But overcoming these urges were surprisingly easy, so I guess it wasn't that big a deal after all.

Day Sixteen: SUCCESS!
8-bit is still awesome.

marleah

Post by marleah » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:20 pm

Ooh, that bored eating is bad. I did that a lot too - I would eat at work because I wanted to put off getting things done, or because I didn't have a lot to do at the time. So when I started No-S, instead of bored eating I started doing bored Internet surfing! Better, but still not great. So I blocked certain websites (yes, this is one of them) during certain hours of the day. That pretty much forces me to do WORK!

Anyway - I can relate. It seems odd to me that your feeling of fullness would have worn off so quickly with something like peanut butter, which has lots of protein and some fat, and the bread and fruit would have lots of fiber. Strange.

Keep it up! And yeah, a day off from running is probably a good idea. I've heard it's better to run every other day, but I don't know what both sides of the argument are.
- vegan grad student -

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:33 pm

Day Seventeen Results:

Oh my. This is not good.

I need to set some more parameters for myself, especially now that I'm learning so very much about my eating habits. First of all, I refuse to call an S-Day on a whim. All my S-Days will be planned out in advance. Secondly, I will not eat FIVE DIFFERENT TIMES in one day and justify it by saying they were all meals. I didn't plan to eat five times yesterday, but every time it was one-plate. So I guess the extra two didn't qualify as snacks, per se, but the honest-to-God truth is that I ate more than I needed. A lot more.

I kind of feel like crap about it, but I'll get over it. I think this came from a rather emotional outburst I had after a (blissfully honest) friend mentioned that I have actually been putting on weight since starting the diet. Now, as I mentioned, losing weight isn't my goal. But gaining weight isn't either. It wasn't until after I'd consumed the late-night pizza that I realized I needed to keep track not only of the number of meals I eat, but the portions now as well.

I've been doing this long enough that I can start weaning myself off of huge meals. The problem I'll have, I'm sure, won't be physical. It will be emotional. I feel very connected to food. I don't know why; it's not like I have a bunch of happy memories of the family around the table or anything. And I never reached for a pint of ice cream when I was feeling like crap either. I just...love food. Haha, I probably don't have to try and explain this anymore. Someone reading this probably gets it.

So anyway, yeah. It's time to crank this up a level.

Day Seventeen: FAILURE!

(EDIT: By the way, here are my planned S-Days for April -

April 22 is my birthday, so I will be cutting myself some slack there.
Also, some weekend this month a friend and fellow epicurean is coming into town to visit. The day she gets here - assuming it will be a Friday - will be an S-Day.)
8-bit is still awesome.

marleah

Post by marleah » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:57 pm

Good thought on planning S-days in advance - I think I am going to do that too. It's also a good reason to just take a look ahead at time and see what all you've got to deal with in the month ahead! Because that really is about making a conscious choice of how you are going to deal with your stress, and dealing with it by eating more food and calling it an S-day just doesn't cut it.

It sounds like you have a really good plan - cutting portions down, that kind of thing. It'll be tough, but you can do it!
- vegan grad student -

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:15 pm

Hmph. Well.

It's time for a rededication to this concept.

I haven't been failing everyday, but I've been caring less and less about days I do fail. Probably because I haven't been updating this thread, nor have I been relying on the immense amount of support I know I can get here.

Y'all are great. I miss you.

Today is my birthday, so I'm going to shake it like a Polaroid for the rest of the day. Tomorrow, I'm getting back on track.

One (1) breakfast.
One (1) lunch.
One (1) dinner.

I'll be starting over at one again tomorrow.

(Interestingly, I once heard that you have to do something 17 times before it becomes habit. Notice my last logged day of success? Hahaha.)
8-bit is still awesome.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:59 pm

shake it like a Polaroid
Oh, how much do I love this? So much!

Have a GREAT birthday, and welcome back.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:26 pm

Happy Birthday VG!
Welcome back! :wink:
8) Debs

marleah

Post by marleah » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Yay! I was wondering where you disappeared to. Re-dedication is good - it seems like it means more on later attempts.

Good to see you back!
- vegan grad student -

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:21 pm

Thanks guys.

For a variety of reasons, I've decided to push back my "rededication ceremony" to Monday. Yes, some of those reasons are in fact excuses. But some of them are legitimate (or at least I'd like to think they are).

In any case, I'll give a brief synopsis of what's been going on:

1. I was recently hospitalized and diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. Note, I was diagnosed - I don't know if I actually have it or not. You can look it up, because apparently my symptoms are rather textbook.

2. Lots of horrible family drama, lots of holidays and birthdays and too much sugar and alcohol and coffee. You know, the kind of fun you need aspirin for. I also had a fight with my better half about No S. Something about the selection of a particular "Special" day, when perhaps I should have selected a different date. It seems the word "special" might be implying more than I intended it to.

It hasn't been totally wild and crazy. I've mostly been sticking to my guns and following the rules. Like I said, I just haven't been as mortified by the idea of failing lately.

On the plus side, I've managed to get several people to at least look at the site, so hopefully there will be a few newcomers to these forums soon.
8-bit is still awesome.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:11 pm

Okay, so here it is: Day One. Again.

I'm not really that upset about this. I'm actually kind of excited, actually. Here's my plan:

There's a certain event that occurs at the end of May/start of June every year. (Okay, fine, I'll tell you.) It's an anime convention. (Are you happy now??) And yes, I go in costume. (How do you like them apples?!?!)

Of course, every year I swear to myself that I will lose the weight to look good in my costume. And of course, I never quite "get around to it." But this time is different, because this time I have No-S! So this time I'll be incorporating more exercise and less eating (i.e. smaller meals), which should do the trick if logic serves me well (and it always has before).

I am also quitting coffee, then eventually all caffeine. Yes, I know I've said this before, but I think I've also said that it's harder than quitting cigarettes, which is still proving itself to be true. However, I have not had any caffeine (save the trace amounts in the green tea I had this morning) since Friday afternoon, and although I struggled through Saturday and Sunday, I'm not doing too badly today.

So here are the issues I'll have at the convention:

1) We'll be driving up to Dallas on Thursday night, and staying through Sunday. I'm okay with making that Friday an S-Day, since I'm pretty much going to be sleeping at weird times and eating at weird times anyway. But Thursday worries me, as I'm a crazy car snacker. So that'll be a challenge.

2) I've gone to this anime convention every year since 2000. And every year since 2000, I've subsisted on three things: chicken sandwiches from the conveniently-located Jack-in-the-Box, coffee, and cigarettes. All three of these items are now out of my life (or, in the case of coffee, hopefully will be by then). So that'll be a challenge too.

We discovered a couple of years ago though that Dallas' HUGE Farmer's Market is just a few blocks from the hotel we'll be at! So we'll be setting aside forty or fifty bucks to stock up on fresh fruits and veggies, as well as some of the best freshly-baked breads and pastries I've ever had in my life.

I'm drooling just thinking about it.

So far I've had my normal breakfast, a good-sized lunch, and right now I'm enjoying (or rather, artificially filling my stomach with) a decaf latte. Yes, I know decaf has caffeine in it, and it's still coffee, but damn...I'm so hungry I can't concentrate, and my options were soda, hot chocolate, and this. I went with what I figured was the best option.

Maybe it's a coffee failure though. Oh well. :?
8-bit is still awesome.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:01 pm

Day One Results:

It's Day Two, which means yesterday was Day One. And I passed!

The afternoon stretch was just as miserable as I remember it being when I first started, which was a pain because now I know I'll have to go through the process of "getting over it" again. But I had that latte I mentioned and also a glass of Spicy V8 when I got home. I exercised, then had my own thrown-together version of Marleah's hobo dinner.

I took four frozen hashbrowns and toasted them in our new convection oven. At the same time, I heated up a can of this wonderful veggie mixture called "Tomato, Okra, and Corn," about a third of a bag of frozen Morningstar Farms Veggie Steak Strips, some spices, and maybe half a cup of shredded mozzarella. When the hashbrowns were done, I cut them into chunks and stirred them into the veggie mixture.

It was SO GOOD. I would eat that every day, I think. But then I'd get sick of it, which would be a shame.

As for my coffee addiction, I've decided to go ahead and post yesterday as a FAILURE since I had the decaf latte. I don't care if it's decaf. I want to be rid of coffee entirely. Fooling myself with decaf will only lead to future FAILURE.

But as for No-S...

Day One: SUCCESS!

(PS: Anyone else find it totally appropriate that this post would be the start of my thread's second page?)
8-bit is still awesome.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:53 pm

Yes, it is so appropriate that it's a brand spankin new page :) That meal sounds like it was good - I can't remember the last time I ate hash browns! Yummm. I also have a slight coffee addiction... I'm not trying to quit though. What made you decide to quit?

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:13 pm

Well, there are a lot of reasons (I usually need a lot of reasons to decide to do something life-changing like that). Mostly, though, the knowledge of what caffeine actually does to keep you awake kind of freaks me out. It basically alters the way this one gland in your brain works - essentially it repeatedly tricks the gland into halting production of the hormone that makes you sleepy by putting it into "emergency" mode. It's sort of like putting a piece of scotch tape on a cat's back and watching her slink around on her stomach - good for a laugh, but you're causing psychological damage to the poor cat because she thinks there's something on her.

Also, it was really screwing up my sleeping schedule. We don't have coffee at the house, because I really don't drink enough at a time to warrant making a whole pot for myself. So the only coffee I drink is at work, and I'll have maybe three or four cups throughout the day. My body becomes dependent on getting that caffeine every few hours, and so when it doesn't all of a sudden (at around 7:30 or 8:00 pm), I crash HARD. I've fallen asleep standing up before, and I get really cranky. Then I get up in the morning and I'm still really cranky because now it's been 15 hours since my last cup, and I'm not happy until I get to work and slug back the joe.

Also, it has negative effects on my breath and digestive system. I'll avoid a lengthy description here. Haha.
8-bit is still awesome.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:58 pm

Hmmm I have thought about giving up my daily/twice daily coffee before... Maybe I should consider it again. It's just nice to have something yummy to drink on the way to work. Maybe I should switch to chocolate milk, lol. Ahh but replacing one habit with another is bad. Sometimes I wonder if I would lose more weight if I gave up my small iced coffee w/cream and sugar.

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:56 pm

If you kick the cafeine habit and continue to crash like that, I'd suggest you get your doctor to order a sleep study!

Liz

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:20 pm

Day Two Results

Not bad, not bad. The stretch between lunch and dinner wasn't as bad, thanks in no small part to a well-timed glass of V8 (my new best friend) in the afternoon. Dinner was spaghetti with eggplant parmesan, which was nothing short of kick-ass, and it gave me a ton of leftovers. That said, it was SO SO HARD not to reload my plate with more pasta. I hadn't realized this before, but apparently Italian food is my number one weakness. I always, always go back for seconds, no matter how much I had the first time. It just tasted so damn good I could hardly stand it.

But I persevered and made it through another day without seconds, snacks, or sweets.

I also didn't have any coffee, and in fact limited my "hot beverage" intake to only two cups of really cheap green tea. So that was good too, and it definitely made:

Day Two: SUCCESS!!

And guadopt1997: So far, so good. I've been able to stay awake until a reasonable hour, and getting up in the morning has been easier since I went caffeine-free on Friday. But I will definitely keep my eyes on it. My better half also has some sleeping issues, and so we both try to stay on top of our sleeping habits.

And Nichole: It probably wouldn't hurt, although yeah, replacing it with chocolate milk (while delicious) would maybe not be so effective. I'm liking green tea, because it approximates coffee without being overwhelmingly tea-y.
8-bit is still awesome.

marleah

Post by marleah » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:11 pm

Pasta does that to me too - it just doesn't seem as filling, or something. Even the whole wheat pasta I use doesn't fill me up. I always make sure to add some protein. Like the past couple nights I've been having some pesto pasta with chickpeas. That eggplant parmesan does sound good!

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I do love a cup of tea in the morning. It does tend to have less caffeine in it, so it might help you wean yourself down from larger amounts of caffeine. I really like Tazo tea - the Zen tea is good, as is the Awake (black tea, I think it has a bit more caffeine maybe).
- vegan grad student -

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:33 pm

Day Three Results

Wednesdays are no less difficult now than they were before. I have a new rule. On Wednesdays, I will allow myself both an afternoon meal and a night time meal, each about half the size of a normal dinner (which is admittedly pretty big - I load that plate up at night). That way, the strangely-timed weekly event I attend won't force me to adjust my schedule too cruelly.

Day Three: SUCCESS by the skin of my teeth

Also, I didn't drink any coffee yesterday, so that was also a SUCCESS day, however I think I might break today. I'm falling asleep at my desk. Getting up in the morning has been easier, as I mentioned yesterday, but it's taking me so much longer to get to my normal energy level, and then I eat lunch and my energy levels drop again. Like right now. :(

I don't really know exactly what to do. I've actually had enough green tea that I don't think I can stomach it again right now. I've been guzzling water all day and that's not helping either. But I know if I have coffee now, my whole evening will be screwed. What I really want is to take a nap.

Why can't my company be all "progressive" like those places in New York City, and put in a quiet room??

Probably because that's where everyone would be all the time. :P
8-bit is still awesome.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Mon May 04, 2009 1:17 pm

Days Four - Six Results

I know I slacked on posting last week, but that was mostly because, well, nothing happened. It was the same old-same old, I ate large meals, struggled between lunch and dinner, but succeeded on Thursday and Friday to stay away from the sweets and the snacks. Staying away from seconds wasn't an issue either, since I didn't have any pasta and that's the only food that I feel I need to eat multiple plates of.

Ummmmmmmm I've been downloading podcasts to my iPod to listen to while running, and those have included Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's Vegetarian Food for Thought, which I think is one of the best podcasts in the whole world. She's so cute and funny and smart and you can hear the genuine compassion in her voice. It's very inspiring and motivating to run to, actually.

Also, over the weekend I baked a really good loaf of bread for the first time (I've baked bread before, but it was never really good), and I came up with my very own recipe, which included eggplant, garbanzos, brown rice, and Mediterranean spices, and it ended up being really, really good. Which is a good thing, because I made enough for four servings.

So Days 3 & 4: SUCCESS!!!

Days 5 & 6: S-Days
8-bit is still awesome.

marleah

Post by marleah » Mon May 04, 2009 1:24 pm

I LOVE her podcasts! Watch out, she might turn you vegan. :P I saw her speak last year and got her Joy of Vegan Baking cookbook signed, and she's just as nice in person. Very genuine too!

Sounds like you are doing well - pasta is something I could eat all day without stopping, so I know that feeling. Have you tried eating lunch later in the day? That helps hold me over until dinner a lot of times, if I have lunch at 1 or even 2 and then dinner around 7 or so. You might have already tried this, but that's what I do. Keep it up!

(and yes, from my thread, buying smaller-sized clothes is a nice occurrence!)
- vegan grad student -

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue May 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Day Seven Results

Another fairly normal day. I was surprised that I was able to eat a (relatively) small plate at lunch and didn't end up having dinner until around nine. It was probably because I had so much to do - like paying rent and baking more bread (this recipe didn't end up being very good, but of course there's a TON of it). So keeping distracted is a good idea, as I think I've discovered before.

Also, I've made kind of a decision, but I don't know if I'm going to follow through with it. I've always been kind of a nutrition nut, even when not eating properly. But there's so much conflicting information to be found everywhere - online, in magazines, in books - that I think I need to actually gain some real knowledge about it. So I've been looking around, and I think I'm going to try and take a nutrition course online or something - lessons from a reputable school that might actually tell me what's what when it comes to the human consumption of food.

I'd like to know, and I'd also like to be able to fend for myself in the various arguments over food that I tend to have with people.

Day Seven: SUCCESS!!
8-bit is still awesome.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue May 05, 2009 5:40 pm

Hi Vintage -- have you read In Defense of Food? I think everything you need to know is pretty much covered in that.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Thu May 07, 2009 2:38 pm

I haven't, but that's definitely been on my list for a while. I'll probably bump it up closer to the top. Thanks!

Day Eight and Nine Results

Again, normal-type days. Been thinking/pondering/obsessing on food for a few days now, and trying to reconcile that with my sudden burning desire to become a marathon runner. :lol: I currently run two miles a day. I'm kidding myself if I think I'll run a marathon at any point in the next ten years.

I'm also still trying to get fit for the upcoming convention, and the days are slipping by me at an unbelievable rate. I'm trying very hard to ignore the urge to starve myself and work out too hard. This isn't something that I usually have to deal with mentally, except around this time of year. But I do look better than I have in recent memory, and that's the salve that's soothing my knee-jerked muscles.

Days Eight and Nine: SUCCESS!!

Oh, and by the way, the quitting coffee thing is going okay, although I'm still struggling through every day with the same degree of grit and determination as the day before. It's not getting easier, and that kind of scares me. On Tuesday I had another decaf latte, but other than green tea, it's the closest thing to a caffeinated beverage that I've had in almost two weeks. But yeah, pretty much the only thing keeping me from rushing over RIGHT NOW to get a cuppajoe is the knowledge that I'll have to start counting my coffee-free days all over again if I do.
8-bit is still awesome.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu May 07, 2009 6:34 pm

VintageGeek wrote: Also, I didn't drink any coffee yesterday, so that was also a SUCCESS day, however I think I might break today. I'm falling asleep at my desk. Getting up in the morning has been easier, as I mentioned yesterday, but it's taking me so much longer to get to my normal energy level, and then I eat lunch and my energy levels drop again. Like right now. :(

I don't really know exactly what to do. I've actually had enough green tea that I don't think I can stomach it again right now. I've been guzzling water all day and that's not helping either. But I know if I have coffee now, my whole evening will be screwed. What I really want is to take a nap.
I have the same problem and it sucks. I hate feeling weak and tired and depending on coffee for a boost... But as soon as I get out of work, my energy skips up & I'm able to exercise and make dinner. Maybe we're bored at work? (Well, I KNOW I am).

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Fri May 08, 2009 1:53 pm

Oh my, yes. I am terribly, terribly bored at work. Just this morning I sat down with one of my supervisors and gave him a real talking-to. Actually, it went more like this, "STEVE GIVE ME MORE WORK PLEEEEZE." And he said, "...okay. Let me find something." So now I'm waiting. I may ultimately end up regretting this. :wink:

Day 10 Results (Man, I'm at Day 10 again already? Ridiculous.)

YESTERDAY WAS AN EPIC FAIL!!!!!

Why?

Because (confession time) I radically changed the types of foods I was eating for breakfast and lunch this week, and by the time yesterday rolled around, running for 45 minutes in the morning, having a piece of fruit for breakfast, and getting about 4 hours of sleep a night just was not working for me.

I had PLANNED to have an S-day today (Friday) to help me bounce back emotionally from all the stress related to that change, but apparently I couldn't wait that long. I snacked all day long yesterday, and while they were all relatively healthy snacks (crudite without dip, homemade trail mix, etc.) it was still snacking and it was not in the plans.

So today I'm still taking my S-Day because I planned it that way. I've found that if I change any set plans at the last minute, the whole rest of my life gets screwed up because of it. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but you get my drift. I'm not going to change my plans today because I was a weakling yesterday. :P

So I'll just mark it and move on, as they say, and I just won't overdo it today or tomorrow. I will also say, for the record, that my next S-Day will be Friday, May 28, because I will be at the convention that day.

Day Ten: EPIC FAIL!!!

Incidentally, we've been doing a "weight loss challenge" at work since early January, and our final weigh-in is next Friday. I didn't put in an entry fee, so I can't win the pot, but it'll be interesting to see if my numbers have improved at all in the last five and a half months.
8-bit is still awesome.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Mon May 11, 2009 1:54 pm

Days 11-13 Results

Friday was a good S-Day. I didn't go too crazy, as I had predicted. Saturday was also a good S-Day, particularly since I got to do a long run, which felt AWESOME. Sunday was the annual Mother's Day picnic in my family, and I ate way, way too much food. But that's okay, because it tasted all tasted really good. Also, the host of the party was kind enough to buy me a huge platter of crudite (since everyone else was having chicken wings), and then he let me take it home. So this week, every lunch will be accompanied by a quart-sized baggie of precut vegetables.

I have decided that even on S-Days, I have to stay away from soda. I drink one, and then I have to drink nothing else for the rest of the day. I don't know what it is. I know I technically can drink it all day if I want to, but I feel like the soda alone is undoing everything good that I've done all week. I'll just need to stick to water and green tea, just like on N-Days.

Days 11-13: S-Days

Also, I didn't choke on the coffee thing, even when they were offering free samples of their newest roast at the grocery store yesterday. I calmly walked by (inhaling deeply) without stopping.

So that was good.
8-bit is still awesome.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Mon May 11, 2009 7:56 pm

WARNING: SELF-LOATHING AHEAD!!!

I totally suck.

I apparently have two choices: either get more sleep, or continue with this foolish idea that I can get through every day without a crutch. Since getting more sleep is highly unlikely, I'm going to need the crutch to keep from losing my job.

About half an hour ago, my boss walked into my work area, and I was clearly sleeping at my desk. Head nodding, heavy breathing, fingers resting lightly on the keyboard. Luckily she had a good laugh, but what she doesn't know is that this is a daily occurrence.

So I got a damn coffee and now at least I'm not falling asleep at my desk anymore.

(Before this happened, I'd tried to go into the bathroom for my usual "micro nap," which involves me shutting myself in a stall, sitting on a toilet lid, resting my head on folded arms on my lap, and setting my phone alarm for ten minutes. I actually DREAMED during this little nap today. That's how fast I get to REM now. When my alarm went off, I actually cried. This is a problem.)
8-bit is still awesome.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Mon May 11, 2009 8:03 pm

You poor thing! Why can't you get more sleep?

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Tue May 12, 2009 1:08 pm

Maybe you should go for a sleep study?

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue May 12, 2009 5:26 pm

Eh, it's really more social in nature. I certainly can sleep. And I certainly do sleep. But to be as frank as I'll allow myself to be, certain relationships could be seriously damaged if I went to bed as early as I want to. As it stands, I struggle to stay awake all day, until somewhere between 11:00 and 12:00, at which point I usually "pass out" (as opposed to just falling asleep normally). Then I'm up at 5:00 to go for my run and get ready for work.

Theoretically, I should be able to do this. Lots of people go on five or six hours a night - in fact, I've read that the average for adults in America is six. But, they drink coffee. I don't (except, apparently, when I'm desperate).

So yeah, it's not about being able to fall asleep, as I have no problem with that at all. It's about needing to stay awake for other reasons.

So.

Day 14 Results:

Other than having a cup of coffee and a small protein-filled snack (1/2 a handful of nuts, which I am NOT going to count due to the circumstances yesterday), I had a borderline successful day. No pretty colors, though. It's not worthy of pretty colors.

Day 14: Success!

Coffee: FAILURE!
8-bit is still awesome.

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:30 pm

One of my habitcals is to get to sleep by 11, which would give me 7 hours of sleep. I rarely make it. But I've read that getting at least 7 hours a night helps with weight loss...

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue May 12, 2009 5:42 pm

Oh that's so horrible and I know how you feel... Maybe switch to tea- it has half the caffeine and it can still give you a good enough boost to stay awake.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue May 19, 2009 1:12 pm

I swear I won't do it again! I swear! I'm here!

And I'm still sticking to it. Actually, I'm completely shocked at how easy it was to get back into the swing of it. I mean, here I am, only on (looks at calendar) Day 22, and already living without snacks is a breeze. Actually, I had an especially weird day yesterday - I only had a can of soup for lunch, which is usually a joke in terms of filling me up, but I was surprisingly satisfied by it - in fact, when it came time to eat dinner, I had a hard time deciding what to eat, because I just wasn't hungry. Now, probably that was because I didn't run yesterday. I didn't run today either, and considering I have a 5k on Saturday, that probably isn't good.

Because the problem is, I'm still totally and completely tired all the time. Right now, at 8:00 in the morning, I am exhausted - and last night I got close to 8 hours of sleep! I don't get it. It's as though the more sleep I get the harder it is to make it through my day.

Regarding Nichole's suggestion, I have decided to go ahead and switch to tea to give myself a little more of a caffeine boost. I was drinking green tea, and while that was nice and all, the taste kind of got to me after a while (I drink cheap green tea, haha). But I haven't had a single cup of coffee since my screw-up last week.

I've also stayed true to NoS with very little difficulty. On a wonderfully awesome note, my parents were in town this weekend, and we decided to walk down to this little restaurant that's right down the street from my place - and as it turns out, they're one of the quintessential suppliers of delicious, affordable vegetarian meals in the whole city! They're not 100% vege, of course, but to know that whenever I want, I can just WALK 300 yards and get a delicious vegetable sandwich, well, it just makes me very very happy.

SO:

Days 15-21 Results: SUCCESS!!

Goodbye Coffee Results: SUCCESS!!
8-bit is still awesome.

marleah

Post by marleah » Tue May 19, 2009 2:55 pm

You should totally try some of the teas from Adagio Tea. This one is one of my favorites: http://www.adagio.com/green/casablanca_ ... 150b710488

It's green tea with a touch of peppermint to it, and it's excellent! They specialize in loose teas, but you might be able to get bags there too. Or you can get one of those little mesh spoons that you put the tea in and then stir it around in your hot water. Anyway - they might seem expensive, but those little sample $2-3 tins last for quite a while, so maybe give it a try!

I find that it is a lot easier to stick with if I make a note of what I am eating on here. Some days I don't, because I might just not be online that day for whatever reason, so I just post if it was a success or not. But actually putting out there what I am eating seems to help me.

If you aren't used to getting that much sleep, your body might feel like it's gotten too much sleep and that might make you feel tired. I know, counterintuitive, but that's what seems to happen. You will probably get used to it if you keep it up.

Good luck with the 5K! I really need to get back into my running plan. I just feel like lately it has been hard to fit into my schedule, but I really want to run in the mornings this summer. Hopefully I find another job soon (I need another part-time job since my internship ended this month) and then I will know when I can schedule what.
- vegan grad student -

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Wed May 20, 2009 5:23 pm

Day 21 Results

Arrgh, so I stayed up too late again and didn't get up early enough again and didn't run AGAIN. I'm starting to think that maybe running this 5k is not a good idea. I have until the morning of to decide, I guess. If I can get out of bed early enough tomorrow, and if my run goes well, then I'll go ahead and plan for it. Grr.

Yesterday, I had:

a bowl of Raisin Bran with almond milk for breakfast
a peanut butter sandwich with a big baggie full of raw veggies for lunch
a bowl of this spicy rice-and-veggie stew I improvised last night

I didn't even fudge on drinks. I only had tea and water. So that was pretty awesome.

No coffee, but three cups of tea (two English Breakfast and one jasmine - my favorite).

Day 21: SUCCESS!!!
8-bit is still awesome.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed May 20, 2009 5:43 pm

Great job!!!!! :) Yeah I was supposed to get up at 5:30 this morning so I could get to work by 7, leave at 3.. that did not happen at all! I ended up laying there til 6:15. So I understand. Don't give up on your goal, it's such a great one!

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Fri May 22, 2009 1:08 pm

Day 22 & 23 Results

Okay, so maybe posting every day is ambitious. But I will not allow another huge gap to slide by. Both Days 22 and 23 were moderate successes, even if they did include some poor food choices.

Day 22: Raisin Bran with almond milk for breakfast, three small-sied gorditas (two with bean and cheese, one with nopalitos) and a small container of rice for lunch, a peanut butter sandwich for dinner 1 and a small helping of my rice-and-veggie stew for dinner 2. Not bad, I suppose, but I could have done way better.

Day 23: I actually got up and ran yesterday morning! Granted, I only did half of what I usually do because I was still so exhausted, but at least I did something. I had GrapeNuts and almond milk for breakfast, a peanut butter sandwich with fresh raw veggies and a bag of Doritos (oops) for lunch, and a Morningstar Farms pizza burger with fries and baked beans for dinner. Again, not bad, but I think I need to pay more attention to food choices.

This weekend should be good. I'd forgotten when planning my S-Days for May that my family always has a Memorial Day cookout. It shouldn't be too hard sticking to No-S for the majority of the day (especially since the number of vegetarian options there will probably just be enough to fill one plate) but if there's some kind of dessert - and there usually is - I may need to bend a little and let it be an S-Event.

So, Days 22 and 23: SUCCESS
8-bit is still awesome.

marleah

Post by marleah » Fri May 22, 2009 8:55 pm

Morningstar Farms ... pizza ... burger? What is this exotic delicacy you speak of??

It sounds like you have a good plan - I always try to remember that just because it WILL fit on one plate doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD. And there shouldn't be a problem having an S-event for a family cookout! It works about the same way with me - usually it's a small side + whatever we bring = one plate. The desserts are usually out anyway, unless I bring something I made. It really keeps me within the limits!
- vegan grad student -