midtownfg's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:25 am

July 16 - Thursday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success - Still not very exercise motivated. A couple friends have really been encouraging me to do more weight training and I know I should but I feel like a need a trainer to teach me how to do it correctly and I just haven't done that yet. I think shovelglove is the right thing I just haven't followed through.
Alcohol = Success

July 17 - Friday
No S = Exempt - The conference went well. I did have an unnecessary donut for a snack at 3 but I didn't eat as much as others for lunch and I didn't have any dinner when I got home.
Exercise = Exempt
Alcohol = Exempt - 2 glasses of white wine. Since I didn't have dinner the wine went right to my head. I'm trying to sober up as I type this. I hate going to bed tipsy.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:48 pm

July 18 - Saturday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Exempt - 1 margarita and a small glass of champagne at a gallery. Considering that we were at the galleries more than 2 hours with an endless supply of wine, I felt in control.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:52 pm

July 19 - Sunday
No S = Success - My husband tried to tempt me a few times while we were out shopping but then he remembered that it was a No-S day - I didn't even have to remind him.
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:55 pm

July 20 - Monday
No S = Failure
Exercise = Exempt
Alcohol = Success
How colorful. It was just one of those days. Feeling stressed and anxious and I just really wanted something sweet. I managed to control myself at work and didn't go to the vending machine but then I skipped the gym. I know it would have helped but I just couldn't. Once I got home, I didn't snack but I had to sit on my hands until my husband got home with chinese takeout. I ate just one plateful and hoped that I really might be able to make it through the night but it didn't happen. Had some leftover pastries and ice cream from the weekend. At least I didn't resort to alcohol. Unfortunately I was up to 189 this morning.
I'm ready for a new day but I am still in a bit of a funk.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:26 pm

July 21 - Tuesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

Not feeling well this morning. I woke up congested with a horrible headache and I felt like I needed to eat something before I took any medicine so I had a banana. It was another hour or more before I decided to have some yogurt and granola. I think I feel well enough to make the rest of the day on plan though.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:20 pm

July 22 - Wednesday
No S = Success - I felt fine the rest of the day so the early banana will just be counted as part of my breakfast. Spreading out my food will not become a problem. I actually realized an hour after I ate my lunch that I had forgotten the peach I was going to have with it. I decided it was too late and that I would have to wait until dinner for my next feeding time.
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Exempt - 1 glass of white wine

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:18 pm

July 23 - Thursday
No S = Success
Exercise = Exempt - A big storm popped up just as I was getting ready to leave work so I decided it was better to get home safely than go to the gym. I will make up for it on Saturday.
Alcohol = Success

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:56 pm

Hey there :) If you want to weight train, I'd suggest Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. She teaches some really good moves. It's only $8 on amazon.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Cool. I will check that out. Wednesday I did my Kathy Smith Lift Weights to Lose Weight dvd. I haven't done that in well over a year. It really kicked my butt but it was good. My shoulders are still feeling it.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:38 am

July 24 - Friday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Failure - I told my husband (and myself) not to let me have more than one margarita but once I started drinking it tasted so nice and I didn't feel like it was affecting me - I ordered a 2nd one. I never learn. And my husband never denies me even when I ask him to. Feeling sick now.
I saw 2 women at the gym that I used to work with. One I hadn't seen in more than 4 years. She didn't even recognize me - she knew me when I was at my heaviest of 260. Both were very complimentary of how I looked even though I was wearing a t-shirt and knee length gym shorts - so I must be stunning :lol: . But it was very nice.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:22 pm

July 25 - Saturday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

July 26 - Sunday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success - I have really been enjoying my time at the gym the last few days.
Alcohol = Success

I decided to start keeping a food journal again to keep track of my headaches and sleep issues. It is really hard not to automatically count the number of nuts I ate even though that isn't the point of the journal.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:58 pm

July 27 - Monday
No S = Success
Exercise = Exempt - too busy with work but I am going to try to get out on time today.
Alcohol = Exempt - 1 big glass of white wine

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:23 pm

July 28 - Tuesday
No S = Exempt - sick day. I did manage to get in my workout before I started to feel really sick. My breakfast and lunch were strict No-S but the evening was random nibbles trying to find something to make me feel better. Today will probably be a sick day too but I will stick to plan as much as possible.
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:27 pm

July 29 - Wednesday
No S = Exempt - sick day
Exercise = Exempt
Alcohol = Success

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:07 pm

July 30 - Thursday
No S = Success - I was tempted to continue my sick days *just because* but there was no reason to and, once I convinced myself of that, I did fine.
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:13 pm

July 31 - Friday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Failure - I really haven't felt well all week and have had a hectic week at work but I should have found a way to work in the exercise anyway so I'm not going to make any excuses.
Alcohol = Exempt - 1 margarita

Even with the lack of exercise and 2 sick days this week I am down to 185.8 this morning.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:34 pm

August 1 - Saturday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Failure - again

Strangely, I weighed 183.8 this morning - 2 lbs less than yesterday. Maybe I am sick.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:11 pm

August 2 - Sunday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:23 pm

Well, I actually am sick :( I felt worse on Monday so I went to the doctor. Kidney Infection. Yuck. The first round of antibiotics didn't help at all but the new round seems to be working. So this whole week was an exempt on No S and Exercise. Success every day on alcohol :D I still haven't eaten much and am pretty weak so I don't know when I will be ready to get back to exercise. I can probably start back on No S tomorrow but I do have to go back to the doc for a follow-up. I have been weighing myself still even though I know it won't last :roll: I hope I haven't lost too much muscle but I am down to 181.4 today.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:52 pm

Nearly all of that weight loss will be water I suspect. Don't fret about the muscle. :) You are wise to rest with sickness like this, it's not a little cold or something after all. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:44 pm

Thank you, Bushranger. I am definitely feeling better today. I am eager to get back to the gym but it is a long walk in the blazing sun and I think I should avoid that until the antibiotics have worked completely through my system. I wish I could avoid that sun a lot more in general but that's a different topic all together. I think I will aim for Saturday to return to the gym and see how it goes. I have heard that some people are out for a month or more after a kidney infection.

Sticking with No S so far today. I guess I had a successful day yesterday too. I had waffles which I wouldn't normally have done on an N day but I had single plate meals for all 3 and no snacks or sweets other than the syrup.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:48 am

midtownfg wrote:I think I will aim for Saturday to return to the gym and see how it goes. I have heard that some people are out for a month or more after a kidney infection.
That is definitely smart to play it careful and monitor it. Kidney infection is no joke, that organ is make or break in the grand scheme of a healthy body. I'm sure you will recovery well though because you are being cautious, taking it seriously and being proactive in recovery requirements, all good moves.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:26 pm

Well I can really tell that I am getting better because I was so tempted to cheat yesterday. Not b/c I was weak and needed a snack or I couldn't manage a full meal and needed to have multiple. No, I wanted candy, plain and simple. So I am back on track.

August 10 - Monday
No S = Success
Exercise = Exempt
Alcohol = Success

I am not a fan of antibiotics and avoid them whenever possible. I tried to find alternatives for curing the infection - multiple cloves of raw garlic a day, anyone? - but I have to say that now I am grateful for what they did for me. I feel so much better. I know people eat raw garlic all the time - lots of health benefits that I don't deny - but I just couldn't do it. Why don't we have a puking emoticon?

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:30 am

I would suggest using Kyolic garlic instead. It's much easier to take in that liquid form and doesn't seem to bother your stomach as much as raw garlic. I find if I consume large amounts of raw garlic I feel quite ill in my stomach.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:03 pm

August 11 - Tuesday
No S = Success - I ate a bit too much for dinner. I need to watch that.
Exercise = Exempt
Alcohol = Success

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:13 pm

August 12 - Wednesday
No S = Success - I felt a bit hungry after dinner but that's a good thing. It means I didn't eat too much like I did the day before.
Exercise = Exempt
Alcohol = Success

Yesterday my husband said he wanted to start walking around the neighborhood but he didn't think I would want to join him since I like going to the gym. I swear, sometimes I wonder how this man even remembers my name since he obviously doesn't know me. Every weekend before I go to the gym I ask him if he wouldn't rather go for a walk with me and every time he says no so I go to the gym. Being a man, he is making lots of plans including researching how fast the average person walks (3-3.5mph) and what is within 3 miles of our house. His plans are overly ambitious and he will hate it and never want to do it again after our first venture this weekend but I am prepared for it. Everything is all-or-nothing with him. We'll see how it goes. Maybe I can talk him into a shorter trip "for my safety, since I am just getting over the kidney infection".

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:02 am

Good luck with that walk. :) I think you are right, too much planning and overly ambitious ideas of grandeur. All or nothing is a bad way to be.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:48 pm

August 13 - Thursday
No S = Success
Exercise = Exempt
Alcohol = Success

I am still amazed by how well I have been sleeping this week. I wonder if there wasn't some other infection lingering in my body that the antibiotics killed. Hopefully it isn't because I haven't been working out. That would be bad. I am really looking forward to going for a long walk tomorrow. Just hoping for the best.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:11 am

August 14 - Friday
No S = Exempt - I had 2 bowls of ice cream for dinner. I admit it. And it was good :oops:
Exercise = Exempt
Alcohol = Success

Husband and I went for our big walk this morning. It was very nice. I want to do whatever I can to encourage him to keep doing it. He really needs some regular exercise. It was really hot by the time we headed home, even though it was only 9am. This was my first step back into exercise since the kidney infection and it felt fine. We were walking pretty quickly but the uneven sidewalks made us walk a bit slower than I normally would on the indoor track at the gym or on the treadmill. But it was nice to see more of the neighborhood and we had fun.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:19 pm

August 15 - Saturday
No S = Exempt - more ice cream for dinner.
Exercise = Success - 70 minute walk
Alcohol = Success

August 16 - Sunday
No S = Success
Exercise = Exempt - no reason. I think it is going to be harder than I thought to get back into the habit.
Alcohol = Success

I just reread my entire check-in thread and it is funny (sad?) how many times I say that I have the habits down and feel great about everything and how many times I complain about not being able to control my sweet tooth. Whether I have the best habits or not, I am really happy with my progress on No S. I don't snack any more. (I used to have enough food in my desk to survive a major natural disaster for a week.) I only have one plate of food at each meal with no temptation for more. And for the most part I only eat sweets on the weekends - even if they constitute the entire meal. But I have lost 16 lbs since my first post and I really feel like this is working and can work for the rest of my life.
Last edited by midtownfg on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:26 pm

Woo Hoo! You go girl!
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:55 pm

August 17 - Monday
No S = Success
Exercise = Exempt - I got the husband to go for a walk again but I started to feel like the kidney infection was coming back almost as soon as we left the house so we kept it short - just 20 minutes. I drank a lot of water and cranberry juice and feel fine today. I think I was just dehydrated. I really didn't drink as much water as I usually do at work. I was distracted and busy. I guess I need to really watch my water intake for a while still. I usually drink 1/2 a gallon or more just during the workday plus more before and after work.
Alcohol = Success

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi midtown,

So sorry to hear about this kidney infection stuff! I really hope it doesn't recur. :(

Congratulations on losing 16 pounds on no S----awesome! Very inspiring to me, especially since I share your fondness for sweets! It lets me know that success is possible for me too...
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:00 am

Thanks Mimi and Vig. Well, I haven't been very good about doing my check-in all week. It has been very busy at work getting ready for the new school year (I'm admin, not a teacher, but still tons of paperwork). I have still been marking my HabitCal and using my food journal. My last kidney flair up passed. I have started to add back in a little alcohol - not that it is necessary but I like it. Exercise has been a little harder to get back into. I have been to the gym twice this week and felt fine but I just don't feel the motivation anymore. Maybe if I see some weight start to come back I will be motivated. I still have a lot of work to do to refine my eating choices but overall I am feeling great about No S and plan to stick with it forever.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:19 pm

Big No S failure yesterday. It started with an S-event. I was perfectly fine with it. It wasn't planned but someone brought pie for the boss's b-day so I had to join in the celebration. There are only 4 of us so I can't just hide or say no. Well, I could have if it was really important but I don't see anything wrong with celebrating his birthday. I was fine the rest of the afternoon and had no intention of making it into an S day and pigging out. But then I wimped out on going to the gym and to punish myself went home and ate a bunch of candy before my husband came home from work.
I have to say that, even though I am disappointed that I don't have this under control yet, it really happens so much less than it used to so I have to be proud of that. No S helps me to control those urges on most days and it is completely painless and effortless. Just not every day.
I need to refocus on exercise. If I don't want to go to the gym I will have to do it at home. Time to reconsider shovelglove - again.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:58 pm

August 26 - Wednesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success - 20 min on elliptical, 30 min on treadmill
Alcohol = Exempt - 2 small glasses of white wine
I didn't see the point of keeping up my daily check-in when I wasn't exercising but, since I did work out yesterday, I think documenting it here and starting up the practice again will keep me going to the gym. They had a lot of new classes on the schedule so I may try some.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:17 pm

August 27 - Thursday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success - I don't want to get into the habit of logging the exact things I did at the gym. Yest I switched between several machines and I like it that way. If I am going to log it, I am more likely to just do the same thing every day and that's not my goal. So let's just stick with SUCCESS.
Alcohol = Success

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:09 pm

August 28 - Friday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

August 29 - Saturday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Exempt - white wine

August 30 - Sunday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

No excessive eating this weekend. I had some really good Ben & Jerry's as my treat. I also bought some bulk candy and didn't eat all of it so I will have that for next weekend. Exercise is still hard to be motivated for. My weight is still slowly going down so I am doing well.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:20 pm

August 31 - Monday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Exempt - vodka & OJ

I have noticed several times that Mondays are hard for me and No S. I do fine on Sundays so I don't know why Mondays would give me so much trouble. I guess it is because I would rather not be at work.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:17 am

Hey, good going with getting exercise started again. :) I hope you find something that lights a spark for you to get you excited again.

I like what you said about the binges happening way less often and how no S makes things easy on most days, just not every day. I think that's a great description of how it works for alot of us!
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:38 pm

Sept 1 - Tuesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Exempt - I had to work late and I needed to do some shopping so I skipped the gym. I will have to work late again tonight but I will go to the gym anyway. If I can find parking.
Alcohol = Exempt - vodka & OJ

Hey Vig. I really wanted to cheat yest. I even bought candy at the drug store. But I made sure I got something my husband likes and as soon as I got home I pulled it out of the bag and said "Look what I got for you." As long as he is enjoying it, I can live vicariously. I am good at that. I couldn't take it if he didn't act excited though. Someone better enjoy it. Or I will :evil: . Not that he needs to eat more. But he is less likely to take seconds (thus leaving me enough for lunch the next day) if there is something sweet for him to eat later. I will look forward to having some on my S days. yum.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:13 pm

Sept 2 - Wednesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
I haven't even thought about the holiday weekend. Since my S days are Friday and Saturday, I definitely don't want to take 4 S days in a row. I have nothing special planned other than watching my husband watch college football and we aren't the types who snack during games. But I won't rule out the possiblilty that I could be invited to do something with a friend. So S events will be allowed on Sunday and Monday if something special comes up. Otherwise, they are regular N days.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:24 pm

Sept 3 - Thursday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Dinner was too big and too salty but I was still down 4 tenths of a pound this morning so.... I really need to work on making the weekend good. I have decided to take Sunday as a holiday S day. It will just be too hard to do 2 NoS days at home with hubby. I handle one day a week just fine but 2 just seems like torture. Most everyone else is taking 3 S days without guilt so there is no reason to put more pressure on myself than necessary. I will avoid sweets but I will allow some flexibility for Sunday.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:41 pm

You can watch your husband enjoy a candy bar and be satisfied with that?!

You are a saint!

I'd typically be wailing "save me sooooooome!" like a bratty child. :roll:

Enjoy your Labor Day weekend!

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:33 am

I've done the Master Cleanse at least twice for 10 days at a time (and a couple other short periods) and I would still make my husband dinner and sit and watch him eat. I've even been out to dinner with friends without eating. For some reason, on the Cleanse, I can really convince myself that eating is not an option so it doesn't even occur to me. I will watch Food Network continuously and think of things I want to eat once I finish the cleanse but I never consider cheating. No S works the same way for me most of the time but I guess there isn't as much pressure to not mess up. I should try taking it as seriously as the cleanse but that is a bit too intense to plan to do the rest of my life. I like to think of No S more like driving - I follow traffic laws most of the time but sometimes I just want to speed. Maybe after a while I will get sick of getting speeding tickets (or red days) but at this point I'm not really hurting myself enough to make it a do-or-die situation. Not to belittle No S but I worry about others who see one red day and feel like quitting. I can deal with some red days. I have no need to be perfect.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:18 pm

Sept 4 - Friday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Success - 65 minutes straight - yay!

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:17 pm

Sept 5 - Saturday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Exempt
Alcohol = Exempt - 1 beer

Sept 6 - Sunday
No S = Exempt - Well, I said I was going to make this a controlled S day but it didn't really work out that way.
Exercise = Exempt
Alcohol = Failure - 1/2 a pitcher of margaritas - oops :shock:

Sept 7 - Monday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success - 65 minutes straight again. It is so nice when the gym is empty and I can stay as long as I want.

A very nice weekend overall - not the best food choices but I had fun and I stuck to the plan on Monday. Monday was really hard actually since I made the classic blunder of going to the grocery store hungry. I didn't realize it at the time but eventually I became ravenous and had to restrain myself from throwing random sweets in my cart. I made it out with only one bag of candy which I managed to keep in the trunk so I wouldn't eat it on the drive home. Then I started making dinner immediately so I wouldn't snack. I came close but I held off until the meal was served and only had one plate. My breakfast and lunch were definitely too small.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Sept 8 - Tuesday
No S = Failure - very strange. I couldn't sleep and I started thinking about food and I actually got up and started eating candy and stayed up until 2am. I have never done that before. Get up and eat, that is. And I had a very satisfying and substantial dinner so I wasn't hungry. I am also very disappointed with the insomnia in general since I have been sleeping so well the last month.
Exercise = Exempt - maybe I should blame not going to the gym for the insomnia and the No S failure. But it was solely my decision to skip.
Alcohol = Success

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:59 pm

Sept 9 - Wednesday
No S = Success - no problems. I don't know why some days are so much harder than others. This was an easy one.
Exercise = Failure - I was lazy and didn't go to the gym. I have already skipped twice this week so that is a Failure. But it was a good thing that I didn't go because we didn't have any water when I got home and it was out until after 2 this morning. It would not have been fun to come home from a workout to no shower.
Alcohol = Exempt - 2 glasses of white wine. And a migraine.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:52 pm

Awww sorry about the migraine. :(

And thank you for your wonderfully supportive message leading into Labor Day weekend! I really appreciated that. I have been off-balance all week due to suddenly having a 10 hour chunk of my day taken away (new job, whereas I was idle at home before). So I haven't been writing to others, checking in on here, and blogging as I would like. Sorry about that!
I'm still here to cheer you on! Hope to get everything balanced out soon.

Keep up the good work! :wink:

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:19 pm

Hi Vig. I hope your new job is OK. I hope it won't keep you away from your blog too much or too long. It's a great outlet and you're a great writer so you need to keep it up.

Sept 10 - Thursday
No S = Success
Exercise = Failure - I did part of a pilates video and a yoga video but it wasn't really exercise.

Sept 11 - Friday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Failure - I decided to get a haircut instead.
Alcohol = Exempt - 1 Margarita

Sept 12 - Saturday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Failure - This time the city gave us notice that they were shutting off our water all day to do repairs. I'm not exercising if I can't take a shower. I would have been more likely to go to the gym Friday though if I had known that I wouldn't be able to go on Saturday.

Very off-balance week for me too but I don't have a good excuse. I need to get back to my regular exercise routine and I need to lay off the alcohol again.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:19 pm

Sept 13 - Sunday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success
All green. Had a great Sunday. Now I am ready to get back in the groove.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:49 pm

Sept 14 - Monday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success - I did have 2 sips of my husband's wine to see if I wanted my own glass but that was enough.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:05 pm

Sept 15 - Tuesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Exempt
Alcohol = Exempt - 1 big glass of white wine.
Is this the slowest week ever or is it just me? Lordy. Time to refocus again. I haven't lost any weight recently and today my weight is higher than it has been in the last 2 months. Only 2 lbs more than yesterday and I am sure it will go back down tomorrow but it's still not nice to see and a good reason to refocus. I have been good about bringing my lunch every day but sometimes it isn't the best and is just whatever I could throw together as I was walking out the door so I will try to plan lunch better. My sugar cravings sure aren't subsiding any but at least I have the power to control those urges most of the time.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:45 pm

Sept 16 - Wednesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success
Well, I finally bought the book. I am not one to buy new, full-price books - ever - so I kept putting it off but now that it has been 6 months and I have lost 15 pounds I figured Reinhard deserved it. I gave him a little extra too :wink: by using his Amazon link and buying other things at the same time - including a wafflemaker. What every dieter needs. I am looking forward to making a tasty breakfast this weekend. I am also looking forward to reading the book and refocusing on my habits.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:20 pm

Sept 17 - Thursday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

Sept 18 - Friday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Exempt

Sept 19 - Saturday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Failure - So, I knew this was going to happen since I was going to a party. Comparatively, I did well. I didn't eat as much as I previously would have at a party and I didn't drink as much as others since I know my tolerance is low. I am also counting Sunday as a No-S and alcohol success even though technically this evening ran into about 5am on Sunday :roll: .

Sept 20 - Sunday
No S = Success
Exercise = Exempt
Alcohol = Success

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:02 pm

Sept 21 - Sunday
No S = Success - I had jury duty so I had to get up extra early to eat breakfast - I usually eat at my desk when I get to work. I brought an emergency granola bar with me but we got a lunch break at a reasonable time and I got a sensible meal. In previous times I would have used this excuse to order dessert as well but I was good. I think I am ready to refocus with the sweets. Last night I really wanted a caramel but I knew it wasn't worth it to mark a red day for just one piece of candy and I didn't really want more than one. So I told myself that just because it is there doesn't mean it needs to be eaten. Sweets should be treats and treats aren't for every day. So no more free-for-alls on the weekend. Just because I can eat them, doesn't mean I should try to work them in to every meal.
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:42 pm

Sept 22 - Tuesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success
I think I have figured out a bit of what makes following the rules hard for me sometimes. And luckily it is fixable but not really easy. I just don't find a lot of my meals satisfying. So I am left craving something else. I need to learn to make more healthy meals that make good lunch leftovers too. Sometimes I just hate cooking. But it usually becomes easier in the fall and winter when it doesn't get so hot in the kitchen. The produce available has also been crap all summer so it is hard to be motivated to make tasty salads like I want.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:24 pm

Sept 23 - Wednesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Exempt
I mentioned my dissatisfaction with meals to my husband so we decided to try a different restaurant last night. We emailed each other ideas and checked out menus online and decided on a Turkish place that we tried once and both enjoyed but hadn't been to again. We excitedly drove there after work to find a crew putting up the sign for the new restaurant coming soon. This always happens, I swear. And then we feel guilty for not supporting local places that we like before they go belly-up. So we found another place near by and got a nice salad. Having the other half for lunch now. I could have eaten it all but didn't. It was nice going to bed with a slight empty feeling. So much better than being full.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:17 pm

Sept 24 - Thursday
No S = Success
Exercise = Failure - no excuse
Alcohol = Exempt - 2 glasses of white wine - and it really went to my head.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:25 pm

That stinks about the restaurant. Figures, huh?
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:02 pm

Sept 25 - Friday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Success

Sept 26 - Saturday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

Sept 27 - Sunday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success

I had a great 3 days of exercise. Not much variety but I enjoyed my trips to the gym and worked hard. Went to a wedding on Saturday nite and the strangest thing happened. I actually couldn't finish my second piece of wedding cake. Seriously- this has never happened to me before. I can usually eat cake until I pass out. I didn't eat much dinner and didn't have any alcohol so I was really looking forward to it and it was some of the best cake I have ever had. They only gave out really small pieces and I scarfed down the first one easily. When I noticed there was some left later, I grabbed one and could only eat about half before I just handed it to my husband. Very strange.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:15 pm

Sept 28- Monday
No S = Success
Exercise = Exempt - My hips can definitely feel when I have been walking a lot so I decided to give them a break after 3 good days.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:56 pm

Sept 29 - Tuesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Exempt - OJ with tequila. The alcohol is getting a little out of hand again. Sticking to one glass a night but that's not necessary.

I am so looking forward to Friday. Going to the Greek Festival to gorge on baklava and other treats. It's gotta be done. I hope it rains so there won't be a crowd.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:00 pm

You gotta do what you gotta do. :)
midtownfg wrote:Sept 29 - Tuesday
I am so looking forward to Friday. Going to the Greek Festival to gorge on baklava and other treats. It's gotta be done.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:31 pm

Friday is my S day anyway so it's allowed. And it's only once a year. I really can't eat that much anyway but I will buy some extra to have on Saturday too. So yummy. :D

Sept 30 - Wedneesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success - no alcohol. Yay!

Down to my lowest weight today - 180.0 - Even lower than when I had the kidney infection. So I seem to be back on a losing path. I hope it continues. I have been eating a slightly smaller breakfast and lunch so that is helping, I guess. I will try not to let feelings of success lead to too much eating over the weekend.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:34 pm

Oct 1 - Thursday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

Oct 2 - Friday
No S = Exempt - The Greek Fest was great. Saw lots of people I hadn't seen for a year or more. Lots of compliments on my weight loss. Some people didn't even recognize me and they have known me more than 10 years.
Exercise = Success

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:24 pm

Oct 3 - Saturday
No S = Exempt - too much food all weekend. I am glad to be back to N days.
Exercise = Exempt
Alcohol = Exempt - 2 glasses of white wine
My husband has decided that he is ready to do No S too, with some mods. Mainly he just wants me to help remind him not to have seconds and he wants to only have alcohol on weekends so that will be a big help for me as well.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:37 pm

Oct 4 - Sunday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success
I've decided to go to the gym only 3 days a week (instead of aiming for 5) and doing videos at home the other 2 days. My hips have really been hurting lately so I need to cut down on the treadmill work. At home I can do yoga and weight training videos - things I don't feel comfortable doing at the gym - so that will help with my strength and flexibility. And give me a little more time at home to make better dinners.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:48 pm

Oct 5 - Monday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

Oct 6 - Tuesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Exempt
Alcohol = Success

Tuesday was rough and today isn't looking much better as far as stress and really wanting candy. Last night I made it until dinner and had a larger than necessary burger. I still wanted chocolate after dinner but the fullness kept me from giving in. Today, I will do my best to make it to dinner. It helps that I already know what I am making.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:12 pm

Oct 7 - Wednesday
No S = Success - I made it through the night. I still really wanted something sweet. I told my husband that and his response was - "We still have some baklava left." Very helpful. :x
Exercise = Success - Did a yoga video. My shoulders were killing me this morning. But in a good way.
Alcohol = Success - It is ridiculous how easy it is not to drink if my husband isn't drinking.

We are going to a wedding on Saturday and an office party on Sunday. I thought about switching my Friday S-day for Sunday but, since I just read that part of the book where Reinhard says not to, I won't. I rarely take extra S-days anyway. Definitely less than 2 a month. Not that I should aim for 2 a month but I shouldn't feel bad about taking one either.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:51 pm

Oct 8 - Thursday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

Oct 9 - Friday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success - When was the last time I didn't have a drink on a Friday night?

Oct 10 - Saturday
No S = Exempt - wedding cake - mmmm. It was an S day anyway.
Exercise = Exempt
Alcohol = Failure - I actually just realized this day was a failure when I was typing. Drat. I had a glass of champagne at the wedding then 2 margaritas later in the night.

Oct 11 - Sunday
No S = Exempt - office party
Exercise = Exempt - I didn't plan to skip my workout but last minute plans sqeezed it out of the schedule.
Alcohol = Exempt - 2 margaritas

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:08 pm

Oct 12 - Monday
No S = Success - Dinner was a bit too much. I can definitely tell when I try to sleep. I just can't get comfortable and I have the strangest dreams :shock: .
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:42 pm

Oct 13 - Tuesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

Oct 14 - Wednesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

Nothing new or special to report. Chugging along just fine with my exercise and eating. I haven't had any really bad cravings or urges to snack this week so that is nice. No problems with skipping the alcohol either. I haven't been sleeping well but I haven't figured out the cause yet. We'll see. I thought about taking an S day today - going to an after work event. The food probably won't be that good anyway so I am going to keep it No-S and just have a reasonable amount of non-sweet nibbles - the amount that would fit on one plate - since that will be my dinner.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:56 am

Oct 15 - Thursday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Exempt
Alcohol = Exempt

Well, this event made it more difficult than I had hoped to maintain No-S. There were very few food options and too much alcohol flowing. I stuck with only 2 glasses of champagne but to balance that out I did eat some chocolate because there was no other food around and I wasn't going to be home for at least 3 hours. My only other option would have been to eat and drink nothing and wait until after 8pm to eat. It's an option but not a fun one and this was a good party so I'm taking an S-day.

Oct 16 - Friday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Exempt - margaritas

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:00 am

Oct 17 - Saturday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Failure - why didn't I work out? I really don't know.

Oct 18 - Sunday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Oct 19 - Monday
No S = Success
Exercise = Exempt - I wasn't feeling great so I decided to skip the workout.
Alcohol = Success

The last 2 days my dinners have been very satisfying but they haven't stuck around for long and I have gone to bed hungry. Not a bad thing but strange since I felt so good right after eating. Maybe I felt so good because they were healthy and not excessive.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:25 pm

Oct 20 - Tuesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Exempt - I left work early yesterday with my monthy migraine and felt better by 5:30 but by then my husband was home with take-out so I didn't work-out. Unfortunately, that is 2 in a row. :(
Alcohol = Success

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:18 pm

Oct 21 - Wednesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Exempt - 1 glass of white wine - gave me a migraine. I know better than to drink during this week but I never really learn my lesson.

I can go ahead and note that today, Thursday, is a big old failure. I went to pick up lunch and decided I needed something fruity. Did I buy fruit? Nope. How about a strawberry jello parfait. Not exactly the end of the world but when I realized I was eating it before my chicken nuggets like it was the fruit course... that was just pathetic. But tasty. And then I had a cookie that someone brought to share in the office. So not a great day but I don't feel bad. It's been a rough week and I could have been really bad several other times this week.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:46 pm

Oct 22 - Thursday
No S = Failure
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Exempt

Oct 23 - Friday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Success

Oct 24 - Saturday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Failure - no excuse. I did get in a lot of walking while shopping but not enough to count as exercise.
Alcohol = Failure - 3 beers

I'm feeling a bit indifferent toward No S lately. I think it is in a good way though. The habit of not snacking and only having sweets on weekends is something I don't really have to think about most days. I was never one to have seconds regularly anyway. So mainly I just feel like I don't need to check in anymore. But I do worry that not using habitCal could be a bad thing for me. So I am going to start tracking on a paper calendar instead to keep myself in line. I may be back sooner rather than later. I'll just have to see how well I can manage without the daily accountability.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:39 pm

October 25, 2009 was my last post. Now I am back. I have definitely fallen off track although I still say that I am doing No-S. But tracking myself on my little calendar is not the same as writing it here and marking a day as red there doesn't seem to make me flinch. In fact, the months of December and January have more red on them than any other color. So it is back to what has worked in the past and back to my daily check in.

For the last 3 weeks I have added in intermittent fasting - just Mondays - like Lori and some others have mentioned. Since I can't even manage a regular green day, it is probably not a good mod but I have been doing well with it. I like a day of not having to think about bringing breakfast and lunch to work with me.

When I started on No-S in March 2009, I was around 196 lbs. At my lowest in October I was down to 180. Now, after the holidays and my lax adherence, I have been about 186. So I am still down from my pre-NoS weight which is very nice but I am moving further and further from my goal of 170.

My exercise has been pretty much non-existent since the holidays. I even told myself I only had to do 15 minutes and used a timer but I still am just so out of the habit that I have probably only worked out 4 times in the last 2 months. ugh. So I am going to stick with the 15 minutes schedule and work on doing 5 days a week again.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:55 pm

Feb 1 - Monday
No S = Success - fasting until dinner
Exercise = Exempt - It wasn't a success or a failure - No structured exercise but I did walk 3-4 times more than I do on a normal workday showing around visitor so I will count that as some exercise. I plan to mark my calendar as green for 15 min or more, yellow for anything - even stretches, and red for no exercise at all.
Alcohol = Exempt - wine was not a good idea after fasting. very stupid. I will try to remember that. Alcohol continues as green for no alcohol, yellow for 2 glasses or less, red for more than 2.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:04 pm

Feb 2 - Tuesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Exempt

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:54 pm

Feb 3 - Wednesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Success

Feb 4 - Thursday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Exempt

Feb 5 - Friday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Exempt

Feb 6 - Saturday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Exempt

Feb 7 - Sunday - Took an S-day for the Super Bowl. No party, no real reason other than that I wanted to make a special blue and white dessert in honor of Peyton Manning. And my husband says that the new year does not officially start until the day after the Super Bowl so that includes all new year's resolutions :P .
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Exempt

Feb 8 - Monday - Start of hubby's new eating plan so that should help me as well. He is planning to avoid all seconds and alcohol during the week. So far so good.
No S = Success including 24 hr fasting
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Success

185.4 this morning. Feeling chunky.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:49 pm

Feb 9 - Tuesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

Feb 10 - Wednesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Success

Avoiding alcohol is so easy when my husband isn't drinking. But I am not having as much luck in the exercise dept. Even when I give myself the option of doing ANYTHING and still getting a yellow day, it is all or nothing.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:00 pm

Feb 11 - Thursday
No S = Success
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Success

Feb 12 - Friday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Exempt

Feb 13 - Saturday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Exempt

Feb 14 - Sunday
No S = Failure
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Exempt

I had no plans to make Valentine's Day an S-day. Had a good breakfast and planned to have a good lunch. But we ended up having to stop for fast food which we rarely do and we had to eat there which I never do. So I had to get something to drink and I just automatically got a soda since it was a combo meal. Obviously I should have thought about it more and just not ordered a combo and got a cup of water but I wasn't thinking that clearly and was just in a hurry. And once I screwed that up and declared the day a failure I figured I might as well have some oreos later in the day. Overall, I didn't eat that much all day but it was still a failure. And I am still failing the exercise game. I had a great workout on Friday and really felt like I was back on track but then I just didn't feel like it over the weekend.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:26 pm

Feb 15 - Monday
No S = Success - I was supposed to be fasting until dinner but this time it just didn't work and I got a horrible headache and had to eat around noon. So I really just skipped breakfast but I didn't snack. The fasting is something I am trying and had enjoyed until yesterday. It is nice to have a day where I don't have to make breakfast or lunch. I plan to continue. I may try Thursdays for fasting instead. That has been my hardest day of the week - knowing that Friday is an S day. I will try this week. I hope that a day of fasting will also make my S days more controlled. We'll see how it goes.
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Exempt

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:19 pm

Feb 16 - Tuesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Success

Feb 17 - Wednesday
No S = Success - lunch was way too big though.
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Success

I had planned on fasting again today to see if Thursdays would work better for me but I didn't.

I am really having a hard time getting back into the swing of No-S. It is discouraging since I did so well with my first attempt and really felt that the habit would stick and it obviously didn't. That candy addiction is still there. And my attempt to get over it by learning to bake has obviously not had the positive effect I had hoped :shock: . Now I eat even more :oops: . Duh. I just need to refocus on the fact that candy and sweets will be around for the rest of my life and it isn't necessary to make sure I get my fill every weekend.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:56 pm

Feb 18 - Thursday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

Feb 19 - Friday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Exempt

Feb 20 - Saturday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Exempt

Feb 21 - Sunday
No S = Success
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Success

Another bunch of days with no real success. I did manage to not binge last night when my husband went out. I folded laundry and did dishes and crocheted. So I got to keep my green day. I was really tempted so I am pround of that but looking at the rest of the week - mainly my failure to get back into exercising - I am still disappointed. I realized also that I think about No-S days too much as restrictive. So I only think about what I can't have instead of all of the things that I can have. Then I gorge on weekends because I won't get to do it again for 5 days. It's not like certain kinds of food will never be available to me again. I need to mellow. I don't need to make 2 of 3 weekend meals all sugar - like I have been.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:28 pm

Feb 22 - Monday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

Feb 23 - Tuesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Success

I had a very vivid dream last night about eating a maple glazed donut. When I woke up I really felt like I could still taste it. And it was so good that I actually felt satisfied - not like I was suddenly craving a donut.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:19 pm

Feb 24 - Wednesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Exempt

183.6 lbs today so I am feeling good. I am ready to test my new resolve for S-day eating. I want to stick to a minimum of 2 real meals a day. That means no cookies for breakfast. Then, if I have the hunger and desire for something sweet between those meals, I can have some cookies. I guess what I have been doing is turning down real food b/c it would interfere in my consumption of more sweets. So the new plan is, if I don't have any sweets b/c I feel satisfied with the real food I am eating (even if that real food is greasy and bad for me) hopefully that will be ok and I will get used to the idea that sweets are for special occasions not every time they are available. I will have to see. My sugar addiction is strong. I have cut it out for weeks at a time but I still always go back.

I am fasting today. Hoping that my body will really crave good healthy foods for the weekend. I think it is working so far - I really want some greek yogurt and fruit. mmmm.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:48 pm

Feb 25 - Thursday
No S = Success - 24 hour fast followed by healthy dinner. I remembered not to drink any alcohol too so I felt great. I didn't get a headache all day and even had enough energy for a great workout after work. I plan to stick with Thursday fasting for a while. It had a great impact on my weekend too. I didn't listen to my body and eat less but my cravings were different and I felt full much sooner than normal.
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

Feb 26 - Friday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Exempt - did a lot of walking but no organized workout so that is still a yellow day
Alcohol = Exempt

Feb 27 - Saturday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Success - too stressed by the Chile quake to drink. I felt like I was going to throw up all day.

Feb 28 - Sunday
No S = Failure - excited by good news from Chile so I overindulged.
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Exempt

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:47 pm

March 1 - Monday
No S = Success
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Exempt

March 2 - Tuesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Success
Alcohol = Success

March 3 - Wednesday
No S = Success
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Exempt

This week has been hard but I have managed to resist the urge to eat candy. I was seriously close to failing every night but talked myself out of it and distracted myself with crochet. I still feel like I am in control and should be allowed to have what I want when I want it - but I have tried that track already and it obviously did not work. My weight has been fluctuating a lot lately. I need to put it on fitday or Calorie Count so I can see the trend.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:46 am

March 4 - Thursday
No S = Success - Fasting
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Success

March 5 - Friday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Success - and it's a good thing because I fell down as soon as I got home and really hurt my knees so I don't know when I will be able to have a good workout again.
Alcohol = Exempt

March 5 - Saturday
No S = Exempt
Exercise = Exempt - I did a lot of walking so I will count that as some exercise. I probably should have stayed off my feet though since the swelling is still pretty bad.
Alcohol = Failure - bit of a pity party with lots of margaritas. Lots of sweets too.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:06 pm

March 7 - Sunday
No S = Success
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Success

March 8 - Monday
No S = Success
Exercise = Failure
Alcohol = Success

March 9 - Tuesday
No S = Failure - I had a good dinner but I just really wanted something else so I had 2 girl scout cookies.
Exercise = Success - still bruised and sore but not bad.
Alcohol = Success

Today is already a technical failure but sometimes that's just the way it goes. Some days I just don't like the idea of being told what I can't do. And some days I just need something to put in my mouth and I can only drink so much. Maybe I should have tried gum. I don't usually think of that as an option. Oh well, I will try to be good the rest of the day.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:27 pm

OK, so today is my one year anniversary with No S. Yay. Just reread my initial check-ins. So idealistic. Needless to say, I am obviously not the same dieter I was then. But let's focus on some positives first.

My starting weight - March 17, 2009 - was 196.8.
Today's weight - March 17, 2010 - is 185.6.

Considering that I pretty much gave up back in October and went straight downhill in December, that's not too bad. All of my clothes still fit and I am still reasonably happy with my weight loss. But I have gained more than 5 pounds since I started "modifying" the plan back in October and that's not good.

Well, I can't really think of any negatives. I have never been of the "I hate myself because I am fat" mentality. I have some self-control issues. And I really like to eat. But I am in much better physical shape than I was 10 years ago and I weigh less than I did a year ago so it is all good. I would still really like to get down to a size 12 (just for more clothing options) but I will be happy to at least stay below a size 18 and under 200 lbs as I head towards 40.

Do I have any goals for my next year with No S? I really do want to build the habits but I find the HabitCal too opressive. That is self-imposed, I know. I can make it what I need it to be. Or I really need that strictness to build the habit. I'm just not feeling it right now. Maybe starting in April.
Last edited by midtownfg on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:21 pm

Yesterday was my first green day in a while. at least in a week. And I realized why I have been having so much trouble lately. I have forgotten how nice it feels to be a little hungry. I especially like going to sleep a little hungry. And I definitely slept better than I have in the last couple weeks. I am still tempted to eat but I did a better job of resisting and enjoying my mild hunger. and now my S days are going to come and screw it up for me. It is my anniversary this weekend too so I know I won't be good. So next week I will re-read this post and get myself back on track.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:23 am

So next week I will re-read this post and get myself back on track.
Well, next week became 3 months and I am still in the same place I was then except 4 pounds heavier now - up to 189.4 today. I am ready to get back on track. Again. So I am going to be back to the Daily Check-in and HabitCal.
S days still on Fridays and Saturdays
Exercise 4 days a week - instead of 5
Watching the alcohol
I'll be back tomorrow to record my successes for today.
Last edited by midtownfg on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:23 pm

I think the whole FAILURE thing isn't working for me anymore so I will just stick with color-coding.
I made a great dinner last night with lots of veggies. Even the hubby enjoyed it. Then he asked if we were going to have ice cream. So he had ice cream alone and I was fine without.

June 13 - Sunday
No S
Exercise
Alcohol

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:48 pm

June 14
No S
Exercise
Alcohol

All green. No problems. Did some good upper body work at the gym that I am totally feeling today. I am not feeling well right now so I am having to fight the urge to eat but I think I will be ok.