Kim's Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kimmi

Kim's Daily Check-in

Post by kimmi » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:19 pm

1st day. Found the No-S site on a BFL post. Seems logical, and I'm tired of eating all the time on BFL.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:16 pm

What's BFL? (just for those of us who were lucky enough to find this one *before* trying every other diet out there!)

Welcome by the way. Hope this very sane way of doing things will appeal and bring you much success.
C.
CaroleJo

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:56 pm

Not sure I'm doing this correctly, trying to reply to Caroljo's question:

BFL is Body For Life, Bill Phillips 12-week "program". It was actually recommended to me by my doctor. Eating plan includes lots of supplements and 5-6 meals each day (must include a carb and a protein at each meal) I usually end up eating four times a day at the office, the people I work with think I have a tapeworm. And I'm NOT LOSING weight :x , that's the most aggravating part. Or getting in shape (the "program" also includes alternating days of upperbody weights, cardio and lower body weights)

My downfall is sweets. Mostly chocolate. Definitely chocolate. If it's brown and it might be chocolate, I'll eat it. On 2/2/97 I quit drinking soft drinks, cold turkey. It wasn't easy, but I did it and don't even want them at ALL anymore. I feel confident that if I can just cut out all sweets (maybe for the "21 days" I've read about) that I'll no longer be hooked on them. Well... maybe not confident. But hopeful.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:03 pm

On 'not sure you're doing this right' - don't worry, you're spot on.

Thanks for the info.
C.
CaroleJo

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:07 pm

Oh, take a look at some of the back posts in the NoS general discussion section. There's one called 'is there life after snacks and sweets?'. It might surprise you to see just how many of us on here are recovering sugar junkies.

I won't lie to you. It's very very hard to start with. But if you tough it out for your 21 days (3 lots of 5 days, actually) it honestly does get much much easier. don't forget, the hard part is up front here. It doesn't get worse, it gets better, unlike just about every other diet out there.

Best of luck and I hope you find peace and the balance you need to live your life in control of food and weight.

C.
CaroleJo

kimmi

Day #1

Post by kimmi » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:02 pm

Breakfast, lunch and dinner all went well. Got a little hungry mid-afternoon (remember, I've usually eaten 4 times by then) so I had a couple spoons of cottage cheese. "Covered-dish" dinner at church prior to missions meeting.. so, instead I ate dinner at home so I wouldn't be tempted with all those many dishes and desserts. Unfortunately, I gave in to a sliver of lemon chess pie. :cry: On the positive side, this was my first day without chocolate of any kind since I can remember :D

And this morning I "shovel-gloved" (just saying that makes me laugh) for 14 minutes. Not so bad at all.

So... since I had a sweet item, I'll begin again with Day #1 until I get this right.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:28 pm

You Rock Kimmi!!!
Good luck on getting your new habits in place!
Its sooo worth the effort!
You will actually feel *freer* with food, not restricted, and enjoy your sweets even more when you don't have them all the time...
Nosser since August 2004! LOL..
I have lost more than twenty pounds on this and I will never go back to flipping between "diet du jour" mode alternating with months of pigging out and sitting on my tuchis!

Good luck with Shovelglove! It is a funny little word ain't it??? LOL...
Reinhard is the cutest with all this stuff...
When its fun you like it more!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

kimmi

chocolate emergency

Post by kimmi » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:17 pm

The Lovely Ladies in our payroll department have put a bag of bite-size Snickers in the hallway. I'm just logging this here... trying to talk myself out of grabbing one. Or a handful.
When I am not motivated, I am disciplined! Remember, no effort goes unrewarded.
Kim

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:03 pm

Most excellent quote Kimmi!!!
As to the bite size snickers...
Yo!
Wait till Saturday!!!!!
LOL...
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Shameless Hussey

Re: Day #1

Post by Shameless Hussey » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:49 pm

kimmi wrote:
So... since I had a sweet item, I'll begin again with Day #1 until I get this right.
Here's an idea ... don't even think about one day @ a time as a goal. I eat breakfast, then concentrate on not snacking until lunchtime. I enjoy my lunch, then concentrate on not snacking until dinnertime. My goal is to enjoy my meals, and nothing (to eat) until the next meal.

My advice, of course, is worth what you've paid for it!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:02 am

I think your advice is great Shameless!
It encourages mindfulness and living in the moment..
One moment at a time is an excellent game plan :)
Then just use the NoS rules, and add water and your are good to go!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

kimmi

Day 1.1

Post by kimmi » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:19 pm

Snacks :)
Seconds :)
Sugar :mrgreen:
SG (hehe) :)

Second day without chocolate, not easy but I did it. I pictured those Snickers as the peanuts being bugs, hard crunchy bugs. Later at home I heard the Oreos calling my name, but I told them to shut up. Besides, although they're yummy they hurt my mouth and turn my teeth black. And there's Saturday to look forward to. Always before it's been the thought "I can never ever again eat __________ fillin the blank" Now I realize I can (sometimes) in moderation :)

Shameless, I loved your idea - (Here's an idea ... don't even think about one day @ a time as a goal. I eat breakfast, then concentrate on not snacking until lunchtime. I enjoy my lunch, then concentrate on not snacking until dinnertime. My goal is to enjoy my meals, and nothing (to eat) until the next meal. ) That's basically what I ended up doing yesterday, without realizing it. Thank you!

Deb, and your advice too - "add water" - that's REALLY what kept away the hunger pangs all afternoon (that and my lunch was larger than normal)

My back is a tad sore from SG yesterday, but did my 14 minutes this morning, went by *very quickly* Before I knew it, the timer was beeping. At the end I did squats, but pictured myself squatting to pick up rocks (from the field!) and then tossed to the right, next squat tossed to the left. Fun.
Kim

kimmi

Day #2

Post by kimmi » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:20 pm

Snacks :D
Seconds :)
Sweets :mrgreen:
SG :D

Another church function last night, was able (barely) to step away from the cookies.
Kim

navin

Post by navin » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:33 pm

Another church function last night, was able (barely) to step away from the cookies.
Congrats on that- free cookies are the downfall of many a weight-loss program. I had a similar situation at work where some vendors were giving away cookies and office supplies. I was able to resist the cookies, and fortunately office supplies don't taste very good anyway.
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

kimmi

Day#3

Post by kimmi » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:10 pm

seconds :D
snacks :D
sweets :mrgreen:

no problems yesterday, except was STARVING by dinner time. chewing lots of gum, and drinking gallons of water.
Kim

Shameless Hussey

Post by Shameless Hussey » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:25 am

Gallons of water, I know that one!

When I started NoS'ing, I gave myself permission to use a large plate for breakfast and lunch. I was terrified doing without my mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack.

Now, almost three weeks into it, I have done just fine, and am thinking about cultivating a habit of "not" eating every last bite I've served myself. But I think I'll be mounding the food on the plate for a while yet! :oops:

On balance, I'm comfortable with that.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:47 am

Hey???!!!
I thought you were "Shameless" Hussey, not "Ashamed" Hussey!
What's with the little "Shamed face smiley"???
LOL..
Don't sweat piling up the plates in the first several weeks or even months..
It's the habit you want... You have your whole life to then downsize and tweak...

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:49 am

PS.. Hi Kimmy :)

Hope it's going great for you today!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

kimmi

Day #4-7

Post by kimmi » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:11 pm

sweets :mrgreen:

Not able to post on weekends, and I took a vacation day yesterday to stay with a friend who just came home from the hospital with her new baby. Was surprised I didn't binge this weekend, but had a funeral to attend Saturday. If I had been home all day it probably would have been worse. SG was MUCH easier this morning and yesterday. Now just need to carve out some time to walk.

Later,
Kim
Kim

kimmi

ps

Post by kimmi » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:12 pm

Oh, and I lost 3 lbs last week, but I think it's coincidental, TOM normal water loss.
Kim

kimmi

Day #8

Post by kimmi » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:50 pm

sweets :D
Kim

kimmi

Day #9

Post by kimmi » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:14 pm

sweets :D

Getting a little easier each day to avoid sweets. Helps knowing Sdays are coming soon. Getting hungry mid-afternoon, eating lunch at 12 and dinner not until 6:30-7:00 is a long time. Had a string cheese yesterday (it would have easily fit on lunch plate =)

Getting concerned about Thanksgiving. I know it's an S day... but we have Thanksgiving at in-laws on Thursday. Then Day After Thanksgiving at my mom's house on Friday (where we also celebrate 8 birthdays, and each person has their own cake or pie!!!). So TWO days of big meals. Then Saturday and Sunday... I thought of saying Sat and Sun would be N days after two huge S days... but then that would make it way too long to the next S days and I'm concerned I'd be tempted to go for the sweets before then. I'll just try not to make SUCH a pig of myself on the four S-days in a row. We'll see.
Kim

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:02 pm

Kimmi, don't worry about the '4 S days in a row' thing. This sort of stuff only happens a couple of times a year, and in the grand scheme of things, the 'macro' scheme of things, you won't do yourself or your weight any harm over this little period. Not if you concentrate on your N days, anyhow. I know I didn't get fat and overweight because of Christmas!! Oh no! It was all that other junk the rest of the time that did it for me :lol:

You may even find that you just don't want to eat so much, even though it's allowed, but don't force the issue. Just run with it and don't worry.

Have fun.
C.
CaroleJo

kimmi

thanks

Post by kimmi » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:30 pm

Thank you, CaroleJo. I just have SUCH a history of taking weight off in the summertime, only to regain it over the winter, starting with Thanksgiving. Big yo-yo thing with me, it's like a 4 month binge :( only this year I wasn't even able to take the weight off in the summer :cry: Winter is also when I get SADD, I guess I'm just getting nervous about the whole season coming on.

Thanks for listening,
Kim
Kim

Prodigalsun

Post by Prodigalsun » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:57 pm

I did BFL 3 years ago and lost 50 pounds. Gained back 30 of it. I couldn't maintain the eating, but I do like the work outs. I still do his cardio routine, as I've found nothing increases lung capacity more quickly.

Welcome!
--

Starting Weight: 275
Current: 269
Goal: 190

"I shovel well, I shovel very very well."

Prodigalsun

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:24 pm

umm.. what is the cardio routine? not the shovel-gloving thing?
Kim

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:32 pm

Hey Kimmi~
I didn't gain one pound last Winter...
Yes I fluctuated within 2 lbs every once in a while, but it wasn't contingent on the Holidays...
I just stayed off the scale if I felt I had an excessive day (which really didn't happen much...)
and then I'd check in a few weeks later or sometimes even a month...
I kept up exercise and checked my waist measurments and arm measurments, since I was SG'ing a lot back then... And unless I saw more than a half inch or inch difference, up or down, I just kept my focus on sticking to the rules... True, I didn't lose too much during Winter, but I for the first time *EVER* came out ahead in Spring without gaining anything....
I too used to gain about 15 to 20 lbs over a long Winter and I too have Seasonal Affective Disorder... It is a sub-disorder under the biggie, main disorder I have, LOL, which, incase you don't know it yet, is Manic Depression (Aka Bipolar disorder), so I really relate to you about Winter being a possible trap for eating out of depression... It's common..
Buy a light box or just get out for a walk every day...

Back then, being a newbie, I fretted over whether I'd gain on each and every Holiday as well, but as Reinhard mentions, it's not the Holidays, its the leftovers, and I actually lost 2 lbs around Hannukah...

Be terrific on N Days and enjoy your S days... There are still way more N days than S days during Winter... Don't make the Holidays something to dread...
Enjoy them and keep up on your daily exercise!
Love,
8) Deb

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:49 pm

You're so sweet and helpful, I really appreciate it. I hate that you're bipolar, my sisters-in-law (all 3) suffer(ed) from this. I really shouldn't complain, there are so many who are worse off than me, I should be thankful. I did go to Sam's Club and buy one of those sunlamps. Someone was just in my office asking if it worked. I laughed and told them I'd let them know in March :lol: As for going out for a walk every day, next to impossible with my job and where we live. I do have the dreaded treadmill (I've read the posts, I know they're "bad" here...) but I'd rather live and walk on a treadmill than have motherless children.

Leftovers really won't be a problem with the holidays, as we visit our moms for the biggies and I'm a horrible cook. It's really all the sweets laying around at the office that get me. Definitely the sweets are my biggest problem.

Thanks again for all the encouraging words :)
Kim

kimmi

Day #10

Post by kimmi » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:09 pm

seconds :)
snacks :)
sweets :)
SG :)

no problems today, getting easier. also, didn't get crazy hungry yesterday afternoon as I had been earlier this week. more water, more gum.
Kim

kimmi

start over tomorrow

Post by kimmi » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:35 am

Days 11, 12, 13 were all S days (daughter's birthday, then weekend) Today, day 14 was vacation day, stayed at home. rainy. dreary. ate a piece of leftover birthday cake. So, starting over again tomorrow. Don't think it was disastrous, but only fair to start over at day 1 as I did have something sweet today. Didn't even enjoy it!! :roll: I woke up and ate breakfast, for some reason or other tossed that. A couple of hours later, not yet lunchtime, got the urge to eat *something* as my stomach was empty, just grabbed the last piece of cake without even really thinking. Oh well.
Kim

kimmi

New Day #1

Post by kimmi » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:01 pm

ah, on vacation last week, 3 days in a row of thanksgiving celebrations. so, beginning anew today. so far so good, but it's only 8:00 a.m. did SG this am, ate a good breakfast.
Kim

kimmi

Day #1

Post by kimmi » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:53 pm

yesterday, 11/28, failure. it's starting, the office snacks. must resist. new day #1 today :x
Kim

Kevin

Office snacks

Post by Kevin » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:27 pm

The office snacks - and the pressure inflicted by their profferers - are still a problem for me. Try to be strong. It'll pay off.

I try to make a game of it: the righteous indignation snack offerers display if you dare to say "no thank you" is very entertaining. A mild smile when an explanation is demanded often brings on an even more piqued display...

Anyway, good luck. This might be the hardest time of year to try this approach, so be gentle with yourself if you only partially succeed.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:21 pm

yesterday was a failure, and already i've messed up today. some kind of self-sabotage going on, i don't know.
Kim

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:31 pm

Hi Kimmi,

Don't worry too much. As long as you start out each day and try to do your best, that's all anyone can ask of you. Sometimes it's really hard for no apparent reason. Sometimes it's really hard and it's obvious why and sometimes it's almost no effort at all. That's just the way life is.

In the meantime, keep coming back. Don't stop checking in. Keep trying. Each day you get another chance. I'm sure you'll be OK in the end.

Good luck regaining control. I know you can do this, and you'll know you can too, soon enough.

C.
CaroleJo

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:02 pm

back at it again. day #1.10 or something like that. did SG this a.m., actually i've been pretty good about doing SG every week day. it's the sweets that are still getting me. no problems with snacks or seconds either. just the sweets.
Kim

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:05 pm

haven't checked in since last week, doing great with snacks and seconds, still can't control the sweets. getting sick, sore throat, etc, not feeling like eating much today anyway.
Kim

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:25 pm

*Sympathy*

I have a cold too. Fortunately it's just a minor annoyance rather than anything serious.

Glad you're doing well with the Snacks and Seconds. You might find that to really get a handle on the sweets you need to go 'cold turkey' for a week or so. I'm really sure that Sugar can form an addiction, the way it messes with your blood chemistry, and I can definately relate cos that was the hardest part for me too at the start. Nowadays this is mostly under control, but I'm not really going for a 'perfect score' anyway, just 'good enough'.

Hope you feel better soon.
C.
CaroleJo

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:39 pm

i agree, for me cold turkey is going to be the only way. once i had those sweets those for S days, that was the end of it, really. i quit drinking soft drinks cold turkey, almost 9 years ago, now. was the best way to do it for me. i'll just have to get myself ready to quit sweets and do it.
Kim

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:48 pm

Hi Kimmi,

Sorry to hear you've run into a bit of trouble lately...

Ask yourself, "what is the sanest, most moderate thing I could do that could possibly work?" Cold turkey on sweets sounds like it might be going to far...
beware the self-revenge mentality. Sugar soda is one thing, people did fine for millenia without it, but as for cutting out sweets as whole, be careful. See if there might not be another way to get the clarity you need around this issue without that great cost. Like one pre-determined, limited dessert per S day. Eating your sweet after a meal, as dessert, as people have traditionally done, means you'll be full already and less likely to gorge. And honestly, they taste better that way. Sweets on an empty stomach are bad news: either you exercise restraint and walk away feeling teased and empty or you fill yourself on them and feel sickeningly, wrongly stuffed.

Reinhard

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:37 pm

okkk.. so what if I tell myself cold turkey on all things chocolate, since that's what I have the problem with. i can allow myself a slice of pie or cake or cookies on S days, as long as it's not chocolate? is that insane, or too strict? what's worse, the self-revenge of not allowing chocolate, or the self-mutilation of allowing it.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:23 pm

For me, I think you should make that your goal, but leave it time limited. For example, "I'll do 21 days of standard NoS, but with NO chocolate at all, not even on S days". I don't think that is inhumane, cos you know at the outset how long you have to go.

That's just my take on it though. After that, I think you'll find that as long as you're careful to eat some heavier stuff with or just before your sweets in the future to prevent a sugar crash, you'll have broken the sugar addiction and will find that you can genuinely be happy with 1 or 2 squares of chocolate, and *not* (as I used to find) go straight out afterwards and eat another 3 whole bars :oops:

Reinhard is so right that Sweets should really be eaten along with or after something else - that way you don't get the sugar high and subsequent crash, which was what always kept me running back for more.

The other thing is, although there's no time like the present, perhaps you want to start this AFTER christmas, if you decide you've going to try it...?

Please note, this is just my opinion. I would also be interested to hear what others have to say on the subject too.

C.
CaroleJo

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:11 pm

not a terrible weekend, starting with N days again today.
Kim

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:06 pm

holidays are over, beginning again.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:45 pm

Good luck Kimmi~
I think we *all* are beginning again along with you so lets all do great!!!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:19 pm

okay what a shocker. spouse made me weigh myself yesterday a.m. i then proceeded to spend the next hour in tears. i had no idea, don't know who i've been kidding. then spent a lot of the day playing the blame game (HE keeps buying ice cream, HE keeps buying cookies etc) of course HE doesn't force feed any of it to me. oh, and HE still weighs the same as in high school (20+ years later) and looks great. but then HE didn't have two kids and two c-sections. or sit at a desk for 20 years like me. lots of bad thoughts in my head yesterday. but i did eat very very well yesterday, and have a great start to today. walked *outside* yesterday and the day before, raining today but may try to do it anyway.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:35 pm

Hi Kimmi~
Sorry you got so upset, but you have the knowledge now, and fooling yourself is over right?
Hugs girl!!! Be strong!

I don't feel it's good to blame, but I also feel it's essential for our families and spouses to support our decisions and, if necessary, to help us when we need it...
Is there any way you can, in a kind and sincere (not blaming) way, ask your husband to help you by only having the ice cream and cookies on the S days with you??
I mean, he made you step on the scale, so he knows this is something important to you.. But is he willing to be your helper?
These habits are good for, not just you, but for him and your children...
I wouldn't be able to do NoS if my son refused to cooperate with me and occasionally I have had some real frustrations with my Mom, when we still lived there at the beginning of our doing NoS...
Any team effort is easier than a solo effort...

One of the promises in Marriage is "Through Sickness and through Health"...
Being overweight isn't just a vanity issue.. It's a serious health problem which can contribute to diabetes, high blood pressure and heart attack..

No, he isn't "force feeding" this to you, but if he has the knowledge already that weight is a problem for you, then for your sake, if not for his, he should be more considerate to your plight...

Please feel free to encourage him to read this..
Again, it shouldn't be a blame game, but with true overeating it's so important to have the support of our loved ones and can make our efforts so much more successful and easier!
Hey 2 times a week is plenty for ice cream and cookies...
PS.. Please don't cry!!!

Good luck!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:10 pm

Thank you Deb. ach, you made me cry again! I'll print out my post and yours and have him read them. Most of our talks end up as yells, writing works much better for me. Thanks for the suggestion. The problem in our house is not just my weight, but also our son's weight (he's 11 and probably about 130 lbs right now) and he's not that tall, either. I've tried to reason with him about bringing junk food in the house, and how it's hurting Sam in the long run, but spouse likes the junk food and thinks he deserves it whenever he wants it. argh.

Poured rain yesterday, didn't get to walk, but did eat very well.

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:55 pm

failure

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:28 pm

*hugs*

You'll make it in the end. Hope you manage to sort it all out and reach some peace and understanding at home.

Pity you can't put spouse and Sam both on NoS. It sounds like they might benefit from it too.

love C.
CaroleJo

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:31 pm

failure again. but still only in the sweets area. making much better choices of meals. and daughter and i have walked 1 mile the past two evenings. crossing fingers, but no sign so far of the winter blues or blahs. feeling pretty normal :D

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:36 pm

That's great to hear, Kimmi!

Happy walking. :)

C.
CaroleJo

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:04 pm

beautiful weekend, walked both days (5 laps around the pasture, i think that equals about 1 1/2 miles) also SG yesterday am. that was tough, haven't done it in a while. much better eating (we're almost out of Christmas candy, yeah!) supposed to be near 60F today, will *definitely* walk when i get home this evening.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:26 pm

Nice :)

It's about minus 2 degrees C here - I think that's about 30 F. We've got a wide blue cloudless sky though. I love the winter sunshine and crisp cold air though, so I'm not complaining. 8)

C.
CaroleJo

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:21 pm

2 out of 3 yesterday, walked the field twice, got dark too quick, but *really* nice weather! plan to SG and walk this evening. dropped 7 lbs this past week, most water loss (tom ending).

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:30 pm

7 pounds of *any* weight is a major accomplishment!!!!!!!
Yay!!!! You must feel great! :D

ps.. What's Tom Ending? LOL...

Big Props out to Kimmi!!!!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:02 pm

TOM = Time Of Month.

He visits most of us about 12 times a year :wink:

C.
CaroleJo

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:04 pm

SG this a.m., 3 laps around field yesterday evening. rain today, may do treadmill this evening. meals are much better choices, still ate chocolate yesterday. it's losing it's appeal somewhat, though. i realize the hard work i'm putting into exercising is being negated (somewhat) by the chocolate i'm shoveling in.
Kim

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:11 pm

meal choices could have been better yesterday, still had some chocolate. :( SG this a.m. supposed to be 70 here today, will definitely walk this evening.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:52 pm

I hate Tom! LOL....

Kimmi, can I suggest that you buy a small amount of chocolate soy milk, or some hot chocolate, to satisfy your urge...
Though borderline, and still pretty sweet and chocolatey, both of those contain half of the sugar that a candy bar does, or even less..

Chocolate is full of magnesium... I've read that Tom cravings for chocolate can also be an indication of two deficiencies...
1. Magnesium
2. Vitamin B

Strange as it sounds, you might want to consider eating lots of veggies high in these nutrients...
Dark leafy greens have magnesium, and potatoes and squash and anything orange have loads of vitamin B...

Don't wait till you are craving it.. See if you can nip the craving in the bud before it even starts...

If you are really dying for the taste of chocolate you can get some cocoa powder and sprinkle it into your coffee... My mom likes putting cocoa or cinnamon onto cottage, or ricotta cheese and adding a little sugar...

Keep positive!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

kimmi

Post by kimmi » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:00 pm

Thanks Deb for all of the encouragement. Yesterday was much better! no chocolate :) Walked in the evening, did SG this a.m. Ate a good healthy breakfast too.