Vigilant's Report

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:10 pm

Hum, yeah ... I wouldn't say I felt disgusted seeing the footage it was pretty sad to watch actually. Funny, I think it's one of the first times I see footage like this and I feel sad for the people in it, they were already very fat and piling up the greasy food way up there. The saddest part was how happy they looked seeing the huge pile of food (especially the kids !)

12 year old kids, stuffing their faces and severely inactive most likely, since they were already quite large, bummer to see ! There were whole families there Mom, dad & kids, all overweight, rejoicing and overeating too.

They were cheering a mildly obese guy so he would finish his gigantic 'Breakfast burrito' ... that was definitely supersized, it was so huge he had to put 2 plates side by side, cos' it was hanging over one side of his single plate, unbelievable ! :-( I think they said it was a 5 pounder ... the size of a LOG basically.

Similar to this one :

Oh, you are a ROCK, Vigil ... going to an indian buffet and sticking to your guns, only having one plate. You should be in the hall of fame for that ! That would be hard for me, with all the choices there, phew ! I choose to avoid restaurants as much as I can, especially buffet restaurants of course ... buffet restaurants are a big no-no when you're dieting, at least in my book.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Disclaimer : I am following a more extreme version of the 'No-S' diet.
I made my own personal modifications to the original plan (Diet & Exercise)
What I am doing should not be misinterpreted as being a typical 'No-S' diet experience.
11/01/2008 : 280.0 pounds
08/14/2009 : 197.0 pounds
( 9 months 14 days / -83.0 pounds )
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goal : 11/01/2009 : 190.0 pounds ( 1 year / -90.0 pounds )

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:24 pm

Just stopping in again to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. My posts are all anonymous, only because I am not very blog savvy. You have inspired me because I think we share similar struggles. I am proud that I have made 3 N days in a row. I am not going to even think about S days until Friday night arrives. Then I will be out of town and can plan one very special treat. I have spent too many N days in the past planning what I was going to bake on S days. That is too much anticipation and too much of a good thing in the house calling my name. I like your plan for now.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:50 pm

omg MARC! That picture is seriously going to give nightmares! :lol: :x :shock:
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Thanks TexArk! I'm honored you read it and even more honored that you've posted to it, anonymous or not. :)

Congrats on doing 3 green days in a row! That's great!

I know what you mean about baking. I really like baking but I always overdo it, and I too will start building up the anticipation days in advance. I have a few sets of visitors coming this fall and I've told myself that I can't bake until then, when there will be people in the home to help me eat whatever I make. Besides that, I'm going out for my treats.

Hope you have a fabulous trip out of town and a memorable S event! Make it worth it! :D
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:20 am

Great blog, Vigilant! I had wondered what the significance of your avatar was. Good reminder!

Sounds like you're doing great--I'm rooting for you! And I'll think of you next time I go to the Indian buffet--I hope I can do as well. :)
Natural Eater

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:44 pm

Thanks buttercream! And your name makes me drool. I mean, a pillow made out of buttercream?! I enter into one of those Homer Simpson-esque fantasies about an alternate world where everything is made of chocolate and candy and frosting. :lol:

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:32 pm

Yum! I was on a site once, and somebody else had picked every user name I tried, so I just crazily picked the most outlandish thing I could think of. :)
Natural Eater

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:09 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:50 pm

I decided some time ago that I was going to quit snacking completely except under truly exceptional circumstances. (There's a post labelled "I quit!" from July, right before I went on vacation.) I really hate the way I feel when I perma-snack. And that's my current definition of an "idiotic" S-day - lots of permasnacking, with no real enjoyment. I noticed over time that my favorite S-days were ones where I had one or two lovely treats, but mostly ate NORMALLY. Well, doh! Reinhard said somewhere that "S-days were supposed to be rewarding," and realized that the ones where I was out of control just were not.

I don't always meet that goal, but I am snacking less on S-days, and it does seem to help the way I feel. Whether I lose pounds or not, the loss of that feeling of desperation is PRICELESS.
from KCCC's thread, and something I want to remember. Remember, self! :shock:

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:38 pm

I can't get on your blog today for some reason so I will share on your daily report if you don't mind. What do you think about this idea?

On Karen Koenig's Normal eating yahoo group she talks about the 90 second emotion rule that she read about in a book by Jill Taylor (My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey). It seems to fit with emotional eating issues.

"It takes less than 90 seconds for an emotion to get triggered, surge chemically through the blood stream, then get flushed out. She goes on to assert that within this brief period of time, the automatic emotional response is complete, so that whatever we feel after that is our choosing."

So ....what we need to do is be present and feel the emotion for the 90 seconds. Ride the wave as we have said before. Do not try to distract ourselves during the 90 seconds and/or then hang on to our feelings after the 90 seconds. We let go, but not until we have experiences the physical part of the emotion.

Get out your stopwatch and ride the wave.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:04 am

TexArk, this is very interesting and provocative information! Thanks so much for passing this along to me. I am going to do some experiments for sure. Allowing myself to fully steep in the physical aspect of an emotion, instead of immediately trying to subdue it or ignore it or step out of my body/mind until it goes away, makes perfect sense. Perfect sense. I am genuinely curious how long the wave will last on average for me...

Don't know why my blog wouldn't work for you today. Hope nothing is wrong with it--please let me know if you can't get on there for days and days or something! I'm always pleased when you drop by, whether it's my thread or the blog. ;)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:39 pm

Just dropping in to say Hi!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:22 pm

Just wondering if you got your ring yet and how you like it?

Every morning as I'm backing out of the garage, I look up at turtle and say, "Yup, Vig, slow and steady wins this race!" Seriously, I do!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:01 pm

That's interesting about the 90 second wave. When you feel an upsetting emotion coming on, or at least when I do, I always think it will be with me forever. 90 seconds is so short.

Hope you're doing well, Vigilant! Your blog is its usual interesting self. Congratulations on the pants episode!! :)
Natural Eater

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:16 pm

I agree about the 90 seconds - found that fascinating.

And that same book came up in conversation today. A friend of mine calls that kind of synchronicity "the universe knocking at your door." So maybe I should read it.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:39 pm

Mimi---that is so very sweet and touching! I now credit my recent good behavior to the positive vibes you are sending my way. :) Thank you so much. My ring hasn't arrived yet, but I'm really looking forward to receiving it!

Buttercream--thank you very much! I'm still surprised those darn pants fit!

KCCC--If you do read that book, please share the best tidbits of it with us here. My crappy feelings sure seemed to last longer than 90 seconds today! :lol:

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:13 am

Vigil, I love your blog--it's a little window into your head. And that feeling, of "Am I always going to be this way?", has been in my head for years. In fact, it's finally starting to fade, to my amazement. But that fear, that I will always battle myself over food, is real. Hang in there--you're fighting the good fight.

buttercreampillow
Natural Eater

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:30 am

Vigilant2010 wrote:Belt is sure snug from July's failures...

Aug 1: exempt
Aug 2: exempt
Aug 3: success! First solid green day in a long time, and it's such a relief.
Aug 4: success
Aug 5: success
Aug 6: success Marking this right after dinner to dissuade me from making a big mistake later tonight! The temptation is definitely there.
Aug 7: exempt
Aug 8: exempt
Aug 9: success Did a green Sunday and survived!
Aug 10: exempt: NWS #1
Aug 11: exempt: NWS #2, and totally not worth it! :(
Aug 12: exempt: sick day. Had a fasting blood test, felt very weak and tired, just a screwy day. But this is IT for August. One more screw up and there's going to be red on the calendar! :shock:
Aug 13: success
Aug 14: success
Aug 15: exempt
Aug 16: exempt
Aug 17: success
Aug 18: success
Aug 19: success
Aug 20: success
Aug 21: exempt
Aug 22: exempt! and a successful orange day!
Aug 23: success but a rather wobbly success. Don't want to have a dinner like this again anytime soon.
Aug 24: success: and a solid, straightforward one at that!
Aug 25: success
Aug 26: success and I completed Challenge I today!
Aug 27: just barely, and Challenge II began
Aug 28: exempt but I overdid it

An orange day is an S day in which I stick to 3 meals and have ONE dessert in addition.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:18 pm

Thanks for stopping by my daily check in. I need to edit Friday, however. Things fell apart in the evening hours. Read your blog for a comment from me. I am sure you will recognize me!

Today, Saturday, has been better. I have also decided that when I have a planned sweet, it needs to be after a meal. I think I get too much of a sugar rush on an empty stomach or maybe my hunger needs to be satisfied first so that I am not using the sweet to satisfy hunger. Anyway, it seemed to work for lunch today. I had a flatbread pizza and I had brought home my sweet from a local bakery, a slice of key lime pie that is their specialty. So far it seems to satisfy and of course, there is no more in the house.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:24 pm

Belt is sure snug from July's failures...

Aug 1: exempt
Aug 2: exempt
Aug 3: success! First solid green day in a long time, and it's such a relief.
Aug 4: success
Aug 5: success
Aug 6: success Marking this right after dinner to dissuade me from making a big mistake later tonight! The temptation is definitely there.
Aug 7: exempt
Aug 8: exempt
Aug 9: success Did a green Sunday and survived!
Aug 10: exempt: NWS #1
Aug 11: exempt: NWS #2, and totally not worth it! :(
Aug 12: exempt: sick day. Had a fasting blood test, felt very weak and tired, just a screwy day. But this is IT for August. One more screw up and there's going to be red on the calendar! :shock:
Aug 13: success
Aug 14: success
Aug 15: exempt
Aug 16: exempt
Aug 17: success
Aug 18: success
Aug 19: success
Aug 20: success
Aug 21: exempt
Aug 22: exempt! and a successful orange day!
Aug 23: success but a rather wobbly success. Don't want to have a dinner like this again anytime soon.
Aug 24: success: and a solid, straightforward one at that!
Aug 25: success
Aug 26: success and I completed Challenge I today!
Aug 27: success
Aug 28: exempt
Aug 29: exempt
Aug 30: failure
Aug 31: failure

Okay, September can and will be better than August.

An orange day is an S day in which I stick to 3 meals and have ONE dessert in addition.
Last edited by Vigilant2010 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:31 pm

I'm confused: I have always edited my monthly check-in post without any problems, but somehow when I went to update it to include the past couple of days, it got RE-posted on my thread two more times. I have no idea why!

Has anyone else had this problem?

Vigilant2010

SEPTEMBER CHECK-IN

Post by Vigilant2010 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:26 pm

SEPTEMBER 2009 CHECK-IN

Sept 1: success
Sept 2:exempt NWS #1
Sept 3: success
Last edited by Vigilant2010 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:07 pm

I had the same problem last month when I crashed and burned at the very end of the month with 2 red days in a row... but I bounced back in august and I am ending this month very well ... you can do the same I'm sure.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:15 am

Thanks for the encouragement, Marc. I know good and well that my red days are because of the STUPID friggin' brownies I had to bake for a social occasion and because of a misguided/premature self-control experiment that went awry (anyone could have predicted the outcome).

I'm going back to my policy of eating dessert outside the house. Luckily I didn't break my exercise streak, so I don't feel like I've completely fell off the healthy lifestyle wagon. Marking it, moving on, resolving to do better in September.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:18 pm

I hope you are off to a positive start for September. I am enjoying your blog and feel as if you are a kindred spirit. I check it daily. Isn't it amazing that what should be so simple we have spent a lifetime making so complex. I feel that September is going to be the turning point for both of us.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:49 am

TexArk, we are indeed kindred spirits! Otherwise, how did you know that your message is exactly what I needed to read AT THIS MOMENT?!

Because I really did need a boost. Thank you so much. After failing the last two days of August, I've been "riding the wave" of cravings all day. I know the feelings will subside after I get a few green days under my belt, but right now it's tough. I'm glad the day is almost over, to be honest! How have you been?

I'll keep blogging, we'll both keep working at it, and I expect a good September for us too! :)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:22 pm

I just wanted to know if you've gotten your emerald yet? I saw the picture on Mimi's daily and it is beautiful! I'm waiting until I get halfway there... 11 pounds to go. You go girl!!!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:42 am

We miss ya!
Please pray for me

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:55 pm

To be honest, I miss y'all too!

I log in once in a great while to see how everyone is doing.

Alot has happened in the past few months and I have definitely strayed away from no-S. No use in going into details. Oldest story in the book, really.

I don't know when I'll be back, but I wish everyone the best.