May 2009 Challenge: Week 3

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

winnie96

May 2009 Challenge: Week 3

Post by winnie96 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:49 pm

May 18, 2009 (Mon) = Green
Ah, the ease of a pre-planned N-Day, where there are no food decisions to make! What a nice way to start the week. Had the first of my two veggie suppers for this week (the green bean/sweet potato stir-fry-ish thing over quinoa was a little odd, but tasty), and today was also a WF-Day. (WF, pronounced "woof", means wine-free. I'm certainly not anti-wine, and will have a glass if I want to, but it does seem unnecessary for me to have some each and every day, so am working toward a few WF-Days each week). Got in a good walk later in the day. Need to consider walking early in the morning (just for the summer), instead of having to scramble at day's end.

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue May 19, 2009 1:04 pm

I think you and I are in the same boat - being teachers! If I don't exercise in the morning, it usually doesn't happen - especially at this time of the year. I'm looking forward to a class-free, summer school-free summer - the first in the long time! My goal is to walk at least 6 days each week - in the morning! :wink:
Mimi
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:27 pm

Oops - didn't mean to start a new thread for Week 3 ... updates will be in my Daily Check-In thread, not here.

Mimi - I'm not a teacher, but I thought trying morning walks for "just" the summer might fool me into giving it a try, as in "it's not like you have to do this forever" ... or in the winter, when it is dark and cold and snowy! But not being much of a morning person regardless of the season will make this a real challenge. I, too, try to get out there 6 days per week, and mostly do, but usually late in the day. Enjoy your fabulous summer with no classes or summer school -- I can see how you'd really be looking forward to that! (BTW, cute kitty pic and signature tag line!)