Pamela's Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Pamela

Pamela's Check-In

Post by Pamela » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:54 pm

This morning in prayer I asked God to help me with food (not the first time I've asked, but I'm a stubborn one ...). I went about my morning, turned on my radio to Morning Air on Relevant Radio and heard Sean Herriott talking about the No-S Diet. I'm sure God's not surprised that His little gift didn't catch me right away because I have long-ago tuned out new "diets" ... and too often tune out His little gifts. Still I went about my morning hearing snippets ... then Reinhard Engels came on ... and I started listening to the answer I already knew: if I want to lose weight I'm going to have to change my attachment. I'm going to have to name my gluttony and relearn temperance.

"Yep ... this is for me," I thought, and then began to make plans to be sure and start that ... maybe Monday ... maybe I'll take a few more S days before I REALLY get started ... soon ... for sure soon ... (Told you I was a stubborn one.)

I came on-line to check it out, to order the book and then gleefully continue in my ways until it came ... instead I found truth, support and the undeniable reality that, though I will still get the book, I've started already ... I started the minute the light dawned in my pea-sized brain and I really HEARD the discussion on Morning Air.

So here I am. knowing that, though simple, this will not be easy. Knowing how hard I'll struggle to hang on to my beloved over-eating (we've become quite close over the years.) But mostly knowing that I asked God for help today, and He answered. That's why I'm hopeful. That's why I'm grateful. That's why I'm starting right now.
Last edited by Pamela on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:27 pm

You go girl!!! He does answer! Keep in touch.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:16 am

Great story and a great way to come to No S. God gives me little "reminders" about things like that too. Welcome aboard, it's great to have you here.

Pamela

Day 1

Post by Pamela » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:45 pm

Success :D! Thanks for your welcome and support!!! Day 2 starts now ...
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

Pamela

Day 2

Post by Pamela » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:33 pm

Success!! A couple observations as I step onto the path:

Food Choices: It is true that I make better choices at each meal when I know that this is my shot at feeding myself. I can't opt for the garbage and kid myself that I'll have the healthier stuff as a snack later. Makes me want to make room on that plate for the good stuff.

Putting Off Sweets: The sweets are more easily avoided on No-S days because they are available on the S days ... if I see something that appeals on an N day it's not "NEVER" as it is with most diets, but rather "Not today."

Unintended Targets: I have two boys, ages 11 and 13. I mentioned that I was trying something new to help me make healthier choices. (I avoid "diet" talk.) I explained the concept, and my 13 year-old jumped on board. "We should all do that!" He's apparently taking it one S at a time, though ... sweets and seconds are still in play, but he hasn't snacked in the last two days ... and that's saying something! Neither boy has a weight issue, but I can see how the plan fosters healthier eating and better choices. Last night the elder even announced that he's planning a daily run around the block! All good news!

Day 3 starts now ...
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:29 pm

My kids (4 of them) started out all gung-ho to help Mom eat better and exercise... then some of them turned on me and now say "Mom, do you want some?... Oh that's right you can't!" while holding it front of my nose... Hmmm... they think it's funny. If I had to do it over, I'd keep it a secret. I think this is the only diet where a person eats and looks like he/she is eating "normally". Good luck. Those teen boys are the stinkers.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Pamela

Post by Pamela » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:30 pm

:D I agree, ~reneew, about this being a program that allows one to work on changing habits without the world having to know, AND about teen boys being stinkers! :D

Thanks for checking in and for the smile!
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

Pamela

Day 3

Post by Pamela » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:34 pm

Success!! A bit more of a struggle, but it really helped to know that my S day was coming!

Now the challenge will be to use the extra latitude well, and not misuse it!

Day 4 begins now ...
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Yes, Pamela, God hears us in our time of need and answers our prayers.

I think He also has a sense of humor...allowing you to hear a radio show featuring NoS with Reinhard Engals. (Hmmm...maybe NoS REALLY stands for *no sinning*!) :wink:

I think you will be very happy that He steered you in this direction. This is an eating plan that really works, and it brings such peace with it. Stick with it and you'll see. It probably won't always be easy or a bed of roses. In fact, most of us have fallen and experienced *red* days more than once. Some of us (me included) have started and restarted the entire program more than once too. Then there are some who seem to adapt very well right from the beginning and sail right along with no problems. Everyone is different, I guess. The bottom line is that NoS works if you let it.

So, good luck on your NoS journey!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Pamela

Days 4 and 5

Post by Pamela » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:24 pm

ZONKERS! These were to be my S days, but I'd be kidding myself if I marked them as anything but Failures. I let go of the spirit of the plan and reverted to old habits.

Saturday morning was fine ... felt very free that I could choose a snack or a sweet, but wasn't really interested in either. Saturday afternoon I went to the movies and thoroughly enjoyed some popcorn knowing I was living completely within the precepts of the plan ...

Then I started to sink into old habits ... a small treat became a larger one then a larger one becomes a mini binge and so on, until Sunday night I find myself scrounging for late night snacks and sweets so I can stuff them in before Monday comes ... lost the way there for a minute, but hopefully I'm learning from it.

Today I'm back, and starting new ... Day 6 begins now ...
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

Pamela

Day 6

Post by Pamela » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:50 pm

:D Success!

I'm realizing how much mindless snacking I normally do during a given day ... empty calories. Also, it's interesting how much more I enjoy my meals when I sit down hungry and really savor them.

Day 7 begins now ...
Last edited by Pamela on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

Pamela

Thanks, Mimi!

Post by Pamela » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:54 pm

I sincerely appreciate your kind words and encouragement!
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

la_loser

Welcome!

Post by la_loser » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:53 pm

Pamela,
Glad to have you aboard.

I read your post about feeling like you should mark your first two S days as failures.

Wrong! An S day cannot be RED! Period. Certainly as you have gotten your habits down for your N days, you will want to make sure your S days don't go wild. . . but for now, don't stress about it.

As Reinhard says, you should concentrate on keeping your N days green before you worry about the S days.

If you haven't listened to his podcast series, try to do so. You can listen on the computer or download to an MP3 player. Really helpful.

Good luck. And make sure you mark Saturday and Sunday as Yellow because they are S days and are exempt!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

princesspamf

On the Journey

Post by princesspamf » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:29 am

Thanks for your encouragement on my daily check in. It is fun to know another Pam is out there walking the same path. I read your posts from the beginning and really appreciated what you said in the first one: "if I want to lose weight I'm going to have to change my attachment. I'm going to have to name my gluttony and relearn temperance." Changing my attachment is really the root of it all...food has been my closest friend for a long time, but it has not been a good friend. I, too, appreciated the straightforward "calling a spade a spade" approach that Reinhard takes. I've spent years beating around the bush...don't want to play those games any more.

I think you were too hard on yourself about how your S days went. And I really liked what LA_Looser said: that an S day CAN'T be a red day. That is really important, because it is all the old "beat yourself up" diet mindsets/messages speaking in your head. Don't let those voices make you feel guilty! Okay, so you didn't handle them very well, but they will come around again and you will have another opportunity to make some different choices.

Likewise I know I'm filling my lunch plate with way more than I really need or even want. I don't know exactly why this is so important to me, but I am honestly staying within the one plate parameter and I am going to stand there. As the days go by, maybe I can try some things to help me do better--I've thought of using a smaller plate, but not ready to commit to it yet. But I am not going to let it steal my Success!

Nor should you even consider changing your S days to red...they can only be yellow--EXEMPT. You can learn to manage them better, but do NOT let them steal your SUCCESS! If you do, you're only a step away from throwing in the towel! Let's not go there!

Can you tell I'm writing to myself as much as to you?
Let's hold on!
Pam
Do or do not. There is not "try". ~Yoda in:
The Empire Strikes Back

Pamela

Days 7, 8 and 9

Post by Pamela » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:42 am

LA and PrincessPam ... You are right. I didn't realize that about not marking the S days as Failures, but I see the wisdom of it ... of course, you're right. I'll adjust them right away, and cut myself some slack. Thank you for your support; it is much appreciated!

I'm not much of a weigher, but I did weigh myself at the start of this, and weighed in again after a week to check in ... 4 pounds down ... even with my SUPER S days. There is truth here. As to Days 7-9 ...

Success Times Three!

These were hard fought days, too ... especially Wednesday. I got WAY too hungry. I had a hectic day and wasn't finding time to sit down for a meal, but also was avoiding grabbing quick snack-bites to fill me on the way. By the time I ate my meal I was famished ... that was one loaded plate. Truth is, though, I had my fill and left some there.

I'm enjoying the hunger in that I'm really enjoying my meals more. And I am finding that I'm more selective about what I eat. True that Wednesday's hungry was TOO hungry ... just have to take time for a meal when I need one ... but hungry in itself is not so bad!

Heading off on vacation with the family tomorrow ... not sure how I'm handling it as far as S days go ... will probably allow for a few extra in there ... we'll see ... I'll check in upon my return!

Blessings, all!
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

princesspamf

Post by princesspamf » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:26 pm

Happy trails! Enjoy your vacation! We'll look forward to your coming back.
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

Pamela

Back in the Groove!

Post by Pamela » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:41 am

Success on vacation! 8) I chose one extra S Day during the week, and adjusted my standards on the other days (still no snacks no sweets or seconds during the day with a smidge more leeway on this for the group evening meals.) All was well.

Found it all very freeing. Very peaceful.

Tomorrow it's back fully on track! I remain ...
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:45 am

Woo hoo! Good for you! Don't you feel great? I allowed myself one S-worthy treat each day while vacationing, and it worked great! I felt really good about myself and enjoyed being away tremendously. Very peaceful, like you said.

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Pamela

Checking in ...

Post by Pamela » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:16 pm

Not so great yesterday ... no logical reason. Marked FAILURE on sweets and seconds. I was doing well and was on track until about mid-day when I just decided to hit the sweets. Very conscious choice ... I knew it was counter to what I was trying to do, but opted for it anyway. Then I fell into old patterns ... "Well, I blew that, so now I might as well live it up for the day."

Thankfully, I got a handle on the latter as the day went on, but am still digging deeper as to the original choice to deviate.

Might have something to do with the bit of extra leeway on vacation. Perhaps by having a smidge of sweet more often I renewed a craving for it. Not sure.

Interestingly it seems to be tied into breakfast. I was due to go out to breakfast with some friends. I was planning for that, holding off on my meal and planning to have some yummy egg-type thing. At the last minute, one of the friends couldn't get away and we moved it from a restaurant to her house. She set out a lovely array of baked goods along with coffee and tea. I found plenty to enjoy for the meal, and THOROUGHLY enjoyed the company and the visit ... but still ...

I was needing protein, and my body got carbs. That seemed to trigger the slip. Somehow.

I can feel it when the binge monster starts to rev ... hard to describe, but it's kind of like the old Bugs Bunny buddy, the Tazmanian Devil. When I'm on track food is food ... serves a purpose and a pleasure to enjoy when I'm hungry. When I'm off track I can hear the whirring up noise of Taz ... and that funny talking he does "Vravra mrav fra brruva muvva vra ... FOOD!"

Thanks to No S, Bingey (which I've just named my Tazmanian She-Devil) was quieted down relatively quickly. The goal is to keep her quiet today.

A new day begins now ...
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

la_loser

Don't crash the car!

Post by la_loser » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:27 pm

Bingey--love that name for her!

You've probably seen this line on the No S Catch Phrase Glossary thread or elsewhere, but something that sometimes help head off Miss Bingey might be to tell yourself that even "If I back into a pole, I'm not gonna say,'Oh well, the car is wrecked' and drive into a brick wall!" (Joelle gave us that line.)

Good luck!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Pamela

FUNNY

Post by Pamela » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:05 pm

:D That's a great one! And so appropriate!

Bingey kept quiet yesterday ... she's trying to whirling-dervish a bit today, but I'm working on her (which means, of course, that I'm working on ME!) Thanks for checking in, LA! It really helps!
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

Pamela

Full disclosure

Post by Pamela » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:36 pm

:shock: Two failure days.

This has been a rough week. Very conscious checking-out. Sliding a slilppery slope ... bashing into the pole, then he brick wall, then the steel wall, and now heading right for the edge of the cliff ...

But I'm not giving up ...

Taking an S day today to quiet the rebellion (perhaps a valid attempt to make things less attractive to the dervish by removing the forbidden aura ... perhaps a convenient delusion ... we shall see ... )

Hanging in there, I remain ...
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

princesspamf

Jump back in!

Post by princesspamf » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:14 pm

Hello Name Twin!
I want to encourage you to let yesterday be yesterday! The past, and it's choices, be the past. Today is an exempt day for NoS, so you can push aside all the guilt and shame and frustration and just enjoy the day, including eating. Tomorrow is a new chance to make a choice...and I am choosing now, today, where I will stand tomorrow! You can, too.

You mentioned a "forbidden aura". I'm thinking that is old diet-speak! It doesn't fit with NoS. You don't drive 70mph on the street where you live...not simply because it is "forbidden," but because it isn't the time or place to do so. I've been thinking that way about the NoS...the seconds, snacks, and sweets aren't forbidden, Mon-Fri just isn't the time or place to indulge.

Are you keeping a Habitcal? It is such a simple tool to plot success and failure. I broke the NoS down into the three separate areas, which will help me to see which of the areas is the hardest for me. I fill in the exempt days for the month at the very beginning, so it is done and I don't fall into the bargaining habit of the old diet-speak. I have found it very helpful.

Looking forward to seeing your success!

Remember Bushranger's quote:It doesn't matter how high the mountain is. Just keep placing one foot in front of the other and you'll eventually reach the top.

Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:11 am

Yesterday has been and gone, why dwell on things you cannot change? Tomorrow has yet to come, don't worry on tomorrow, it will be here soon enough. Today is where you are; you can choose and do whatever you want today.

Hang tough Pam(s), you are both doing great.

princesspamf

Encouragement

Post by princesspamf » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:33 am

Thanks for the encouragement!

I have a slight headache and was just thinking I would skip my walking this evening, but I sat down at the computer and read your post...so I will choose now to get up, put on my shoes and head out! Thanks for the boost!

Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

Pamela

Still here!

Post by Pamela » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:52 pm

Thanks pamf, and Bushranger for the encouragement. It is very helpful and very welcome!

I completely agree, Pam, that the "forbidden aura" is old habit and doesn't have a place here ... it was trying to squeeze its way in, though, along with its old pal "Better gorge today, because tomorrow you can't have it," and their pestilent little friend "It's just too hard, why bother!"

The difference at this point in my journey, though, is that I can recognize these messages for what they are (old, tired distraction) and use all I've learned on the way so far, and the parameters of NoS (along with prayer, prayer, prayer) to take them on.

I love the idea of considering and marking my S days in advance ... love it! Thanks for that, too!

My heart is calmer today. I began again the moment I let go of the distracting struggle on Friday ... a new day begins now.

I remain ...
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

princesspamf

Keeping on...

Post by princesspamf » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:40 pm

Have a great day!

And I will pray for you, too. It's not about what I can do, but what I allow God to do through me...my strength is limited, His knows no bounds. Too often I shut off the supply hose to His power and drain my own dry and then wonder what happened!! I'm a very slow learner!!

With you on the journey,
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

Pamela

Post by Pamela » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:34 pm

:) Success. Calm, peaceful success.

One day at a time ... a new day begins now ...
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

Pamela

Thanks, Princesspamf!

Post by Pamela » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:39 pm

:lol: I, too, have stood firmly on that hose and then wondered where all the water went!

All of us slow learners are grateful for a patient God!!!

Thanks for the laugh and the wisdom! Enjoy your day!
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

Pamela

Checking in ...

Post by Pamela » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:58 pm

Two more green days! Hooray!

I remain ...
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

princesspamf

Re: Checking In

Post by princesspamf » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:54 pm

I'm rejoicing with you!!
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

Pamela

A new week begins ...

Post by Pamela » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:26 pm

Finished off last week with two more green days. So grateful and so humbled by a full week on track after the struggles of the week before. Now, after my weekend S days, a new week of NoS dawns.

Good place right now. No dervish spinning at the moment -- calm, peaceful, resolved. By the grace of God .

A new day begins now ...
Pamela

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:29 pm

That's great news on the greens. Keep up the good work and you'll be habitually NoSing before you know it. :)

Pamela

Checking in ...

Post by Pamela » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:21 pm

Success.

Some days I just breeze threw as though I've lived this way my whole life ... others, not so much. Yesterday was fine, but Dervish (my new name for Bingey -- the slow-building Tazmanian-Devil-like whirling dervish of temptation -- because "Bingey" sounds too cute for how she feels) started whispering. It was late, I had gotten too hungry and I was tired. Still needed to feed my kids, so wanted to "feed" myself. Old messages that promised comfort, comisery with every thoughtless bite: "You deserve it; it's been a busy day and it's still going; you're so hungry just eat tonight and get a handle on it tomorrow; it'll make you feel better."

I listened to the whispers for a bit ... then I told Dervish to shut up, fixed my one sweet-free plate, ate it, enjoyed it, and stopped.

Dervish, you see, is a liar.

Experience has taught me that once she's started to whipser, she doesn't usually shut up for a while, so I expect some struggles in the next few days ... but it is the struggle that makes me stronger. Bring it on, Dervish ...

(As a side note, I should mention that the struggle described above is, of course metaphorical ... though my conversations with voices in my head might make it appear otherwise, I am not -- as far as I know -- delusional, schizophrenic or in some other way severely mentally ill.)

A new day began the moment I told Dervish to zip it ... I remain ...
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

Pamela

Snacking

Post by Pamela » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:54 pm

Two success, one failure ...

It wasn't much, but I found myself nibbling as I was preparing meals for myself or others in the house. I need to see that as a snacking blotch ... it wasn't large amounts ... just nibbling ... but it adds up, and it shows a drifting of the heart.

To mark the day green would be lying to myself, and I'm learning here that we must see ourselves with clear eyes and shine the light of truth on our struggles ... then we can face them and do something about them.

A new day begins now ... ("Zip it, Dervish!")
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

princesspamf

Post by princesspamf » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:18 pm

I'm so glad I read your post now-this morning before I went to work. I really like your phrase "drifting of the heart." Very much expresses where I don't want to be. I want to be clear and firm.

I read in Luke 22 this morning where twice Jesus says to watch and pray not to enter into temptation. It really struck me that I have set up "fences" to prevent me from sin and wrongdoing, but have kind of assumed that temptation is simply a part of life. But I had not thought about temptation being something that I enter into...and the most common way for me is by "drifting." I'm very good at the turning away from the blatant opportunities of temptation, but too many times I allow myself to be carried like floating on the tide/current, when I need to stand up and plant my feet!

I, too, want to be completely honest with my colored blocks. I appreciate your transparency, as it inspires and encourages my own willingness.

Thank you, dear cyberfriend. I'm off to work with a heart anchored firmly.

Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

Pamela

Checking in ...

Post by Pamela » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:32 pm

Mostly success the last few days ... one more nibbly day marked RED for snacking ... but mostly on track.

Dervish continues to whisper, and there were days I said "Today, I'm just going to eat whatever ... I'm just giving in for the day ..." but then I simply didn't. In the end, I chose not to. My tendency would be to write that unexpected fortitude off to luck -- or assign myself some sort of "failure to go off track" -- but as I write I'm realizing this: if I'm going to be transparent in my failures, I need to be transparent in my successes. I made choices ... I slipped a bit, and CHOSE not to fall outright. That was certainly a SUCCESS ... take THAT, Dervish!

Though, I certainly wasn't alone ... when I began to slip I turned my eyes to Heaven and reached out my hand to Him for help ... and He brought me all of you lovely people ... I am so grateful to have the warmth and wisdom of the people here.

Pam ... I'm glad something I wrote struck a chord, because I'll trade you ... my "drifting of the heart" for your "stand up and plant my feet." Love that image! THANKS!

A new day begins now. I remain ...
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

Pamela

Checking in ...

Post by Pamela » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:50 pm

:) Mostly success.

Another bit of too-hungry-leads-to-nibbling-while-preparing-meals-for-others-snacking last evening, but otherwise on track.

A victory Friday evening: I went to a girls-night gathering. I knew there would be snacks and sweets a-plenty and wasn't sure how to handle it ... it didn't really warrant an S day, but I wanted to participate in the evening. I decided to save my hunger and enjoy my last meal of the day at the party. When I was ready, I fixed a plate with a sampling of the appetizers and such that looked good, then I sat down and enjoyed them. When I had finished, I was done. It was lovely. I didn't feel the need to DIVE IN to the snack table ... instead, I hung back and took my cue from others as to what was really good. When I did fix my plate, I chose samplings of the most appealing to me and then took my time eating them, visiting with the other ladies and thoroughly enjoying every bite.

I chose to skip the sweets all together, and instead wrapped up a few tidbits at the end of the evening to enjoy the next day (Saturday.)

Dervish still whispers, but I am noticing this approach to food becoming more habitual. Not so much that "I'm trying to do this," but rather "This is how I approach food." I don't BEGIN to think my struggles are behind me ... but I'm grateful for the quiet grace of new habits.

I remain ...
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:12 am

^ That is incredibly disciplined and one of the best successes I've read to date. Awesome job. :)

princesspamf

Post by princesspamf » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:28 am

I agree with Bushranger. You did an awesome job of facing the challenge and devising a means of staying true to your commitment and still enjoying the event! It was a super way of handling it.

On Monday night I taught two parent reading workshops that involved me from 5:30 - 9:00 p.m. with no break time at all. I knew I would not be hungry at 5:30 and be starving at 9, plus a headache from not eating, so I fixed my plate at home...ate half just before arriving at 5:30 and then the other half just after I was done at 9. I counted the two halves as my dinner. I am not starting (and don't want to) a habit of doing it that way, but for that situation, I felt like I stayed true to the NoS concept. And it worked fine...

I add a wholehearted Amen to
but I'm grateful for the quiet grace of new habits.
Onward we go! Thanks for your encouraging post!
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

Pamela

Checking in ...

Post by Pamela » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:08 pm

Always good to hear from my on-line companions! Thanks for the encouragement!

Success ... nibble-nibble-as-preparing is becoming a midweek habit that needs to be addressed, but otherwise on track.

Pamf - I appreciated your post because the situation you describe is what I'm struggling with mid-week. My boys are playing football, and practices are every weeknight from 5-8. They can't eat before, because they're practicing in the August sun, so we tend to eat VERY LATE dinners. By the time we're gathering our dinner, I am too, TOO hungry. I may just try what you describe -- decide on my dinner beforehand, portion it and then eat a part of it before we go to football ... could work ... THANKS!

I remain ...
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

Pamela

Floundering ...

Post by Pamela » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:13 pm

:shock: The drifting of the heart has become a Level 5 Rapids!!

My boys and I started school this week, and I have NOT adjusted NoS to our new routine. Old habits have come back with a BANG!!!!

(I am a teacher who has been largely home with my children since they arrived. During the last 5 years I have worked at their school as an instructional aide -- wonderful job, wonderful hours, wonderful graces, not-so-wonderful pay. I was hoping to return to a classroom this year, but it was not meant to be ... I think I'm more disappointed about that than I care to admit, and I'm handling that disappointment with Oreos.)

Regrouping. Regrouping ...
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

princesspamf

Take heart!

Post by princesspamf » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:12 am

Hi Pamela,
This has been my first free moment since I read your post on Thursday evening. I soooo identify with the changing schedule throwing everything off. It was so frustrating for me when school started and life changed and too many shifts to keep my NoS and exercise commitments. Extremely frustrating.

And sorry about the disappointment of not getting back to the classroom this year. I don't know about Illinois, but things in California are very tight for teachers...not many extra jobs and not even filling all retirement positions. My daughter-in-law (who moved to Seattle in July) still doesn't have a job and she is a high school math teacher...seems like those math teachers could always find positions, but apparently not currently. It's such a bummer when you're really ready to go back.

So dealing with disappointment and frustration plus all the changes. I'm so sorry its been hard for you. I want to encourage you to keep tracking...even if there are lots of red squares...I think the habit of tracking is important also...and keep coming back to the basics. Please don't throw in the towel!

Are you tracking the three things of NoS separately? I think that has helped me during my crisis weeks...instead of a single red square, I had three chances to get something right...less giving up altogether on my part.

How can I encourage you, dear sister? I have kept you and your family in my prayers...the Pamela connection makes me smile.

Tomorrow is a NoS day. Let all the guilt and frustration go. Enjoy the day and begin again on Monday. Brainstorm some strategies that will work for your new schedule. Watch a movie that makes you cry...maybe you can cry out some of your disappointment at the same time! = )

I so appreciate your sweet spirit. Don't give up!
Blessings, prayers and hugs,
Pam

Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed, but our power to do it is increased." Keep persisting!!!
The Empire Strikes Back

Pamela

Thank you, Pam!

Post by Pamela » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:25 pm

I am so grateful for your support, my on-line friend!

I've avoided this site for the last week or more because I've completely avoiding everything to do with it ... one voice wants to just call it another failure and chuck it ... but that's not truth.

You've reminded me of the truth ... one misstep doesn't end a journey ... it merely redirects it for at time. My journey continues, and I am SO SO glad you're on it with me!

Thanks, Pam! I'll keep at it ...
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela